Clicking noise during idle - What is it?

Gregory McIlvaine

Jul 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/29/99
My 1997 Explorer makes a clicking noise when I'm idle that doesn't
sound right to me. It sounds like it comes from under the car rather than
the engine, and it causes the engine to rev up a little bit, till it comes
back down to a certain level and clicks again.
I'm new to this group and appreciate any info.
Greg

Dan

Jul 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/29/99
Sounds like the a/c compressor cycling on/off...

Dan

Gregory McIlvaine <GVa...@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message

93 Exp S

Jul 31, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/31/99
This sounds like an A/C compressor cycling on and off. If you have the
defroster on, it will do this....

Erik

Aug 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/2/99
I know exactly what you're talking about. My '97 Sport SOHC V6 and my
'99 XLT SOHC V6 both did the same thing. The air conditioning is not
running. I don't know what is causing it.

Erik
'99 XLT SOHC V6

pock...@hotmail.com

Aug 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/2/99
I have a 1998 XLT and it does the same thing. My friend 1999 Ranger
does it too. I brought it into the shop and they said it was normal.
It's the compressor cycling. I asked them if they can do something to
make it a bit less noisey. They said "nope".

I brought the car to 2 dealers.

Turn the radio up a notch. :-)

In article <7nqmgf$skn$1...@bgtnsc01.worldnet.att.net>,
"Gregory McIlvaine" <GVa...@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
> Hi,

> My 1997 Explorer makes a clicking noise when I'm idle that
doesn't
> sound right to me. It sounds like it comes from under the car
rather than
> the engine, and it causes the engine to rev up a little bit, till it
comes
> back down to a certain level and clicks again.

> I'm new to this group and appreciate any info.
> Greg

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

big_chat

Aug 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/5/99

Gregory McIlvaine wrote:

> Hi,
> My 1997 Explorer makes a clicking noise when I'm idle that doesn't
> sound right to me. It sounds like it comes from under the car rather than
> the engine, and it causes the engine to rev up a little bit, till it comes
> back down to a certain level and clicks again.
> I'm new to this group and appreciate any info.
> Greg

My 97 Explorer does it while the AC is running. There will be a click
followed by a short drop in rpm and back up to normal. It is very
aggrevating........If it is the AC compressor cycling then I believe it is not
normal regardless what the dealer shop says.

John Fischer

Aug 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/5/99

big_chat <big_...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> My 97 Explorer does it while the AC is running. There will be a click
> followed by a short drop in rpm and back up to normal. It is very
> aggrevating........If it is the AC compressor cycling then I believe it is
not
> normal regardless what the dealer shop says.

It is normal. You compressor cycles on and off constantly when the AC is in
use - it's more noticeable at idle though.

Gordon and Karin Savage

Aug 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/6/99
The clicking noise is the air conditioning compressor clutch engaging and
disengaging the compressor. The RPM's drop due to the increase in load on
the engine. My /94 XL does it too. Although you may not have the AC on
when this occurs, a pressure switch is "telling" the compressor to run to
maintain the pressures in the system. This may be annoying, however it
beats the alternative which is getting a refrigerant recharge every summer.
You see, a packing seal on the compressor shaft is pretty much all that's
keeping the refrigerant in your system and it requires refrigerant oil to
keep it pliable. With the compressor cycling now and again, you won't have
to worry much about losing any refrigerant. Remember people having to take
their vehicles to the shop because the air conditioning wasn't working?
Most times they had to get the system recharged as the packing seal had
dried out and leaked. Also, if you listen to other vehicles closely, you
can here the ac compressors cycling on and off as well.