2000 Ford Explorer Radio display out - the Fix

D Harrison

May 6, 2002, 2:07:49 PM5/6/02
I've seen where a lot of people have had problems with their Mach radio
system display going blank. I, too, had this problem and after numerous
attempts to corner either Ford or my dealer to fix the problem at their
expense (I'm was out of warranty at 54,XXX miles), I gave up and dug in
to fix the problem myself. My Ford dealer gladly offered to send in my
radio for repairs at an estimated cost of $455...so much for the loyalty
I've shown Ford in the last 20 years.

I saw a posting on this newsgroup that helped my out. I'll repost the
message for anyone's benefit who may be having the same problem. Seems
like the problem spans over Ford Explorers including model years 98, 99,
and 2000. The problem I had was just plain and simple...the radio
display just went blank...everything else worked...though, it is
frustrating not knowing what station is playing or if you depend on the
time of the display. I consider my Explorer "pampered"...it's always in
a garage when not in use...not exposed to much extremes in temperature,
for the most part (though we put a lot of miles on it when it was used
in my former sales position), so I anticipate this is an even more
common problem with others who may leave their Explorer outside. If you
do not feel comfortable doing this yourself, contact me at the email
listed - dharr...@STOP.SPAM.NOW.carolina.rr.com, just remove the
"STOP.SPAM.NOW." To supplement my unemployment benefits while I hunt
for permanent employment, I'm looking to repair radios for those who
don't feel comfortable doing it themselves (there will be a cost...I'm
looking at a cost of $89.99 plus shipping...price subject to change if
the demand gets too high...it's less than the $455 that I was quoted) .
Please, I'm limiting the repairs to those radios that are displaying the
same problem that I had...a blank (or dim) display...don't send me a
radio that has other problems. If I can't fix it, I won't charge except
for the shipping. I am an Electrical Engineer, so I have some
background in dealing with these issues...though I haven't made a career
of the electronics repair side of the business. If Ford doesn't come to
their senses and repair this problem for the owners, well, I guess I
ought to thank them for a new career.

If you'd like to do it yourself, I'll be happy to guide you through what
worked for me. If there's enough interest, I'll even do a web site to
show how to remove the radio using a clothes hanger...you'll save
yourself the hassle of trying to find a removal tool...my local AutoZone
told me to just use a clothes hanger instead of buying the tool.

Here's the directions that helped me...Good Luck:

By opening up the radio you will find a narrow display power board
within the left side of the radio (faceplate toward you). This board
has a metal cover soldered to it, with a toroid (wire wound doughnut)
inside on one side, and a bank of surface mount resistors and capacitors
on the bottom side. One end of the board (SCR heat sink) is screwed to
the heat sink at the back of the radio, the board is secured with 2
metal bend-tabs, and it has a white mini connector on the other end
which connects to the faceplate. Remove the board from the radio.

On the bottom of the board look for surface mount components
R1057/C1071/R1058/C1083/R1064. The colder these resistor/capacitor
chipsets get, the brighter the display. I left the car out in the +5 f
degree weather and the display worked until it warmed up a little. That
is how I was able to track it down to these temperature sensitive
parts. Freeze-it also helped after I narrowed it down to a few
components.

The fix that worked for me was to re-molten the solder for each end of
these surface mount components. Be very careful if you try this, as a
big soldering iron, or a lot of heat will destroy the components and
board. And don't do this with the radio plugged in. If you're not
comfortable doing this take it to a friend who is. So far this fix has
kept working for a week, I hope it is permanent.

Disclaimers - don't try this without proper training. It may not be the
same problem that mine had. Don't hold me financially liable to any
damage or expenses you may incur. Fix suggestion is not meant to put
anyone's audio repair business out of business, etc,...
~Thanks to Everett Cotton for the posting these directions (which in
posted from someone else).

Again, I will re-emphasize Everett's disclaimer: I will not accept
liablility for anyone's repair attempts. This information is posted for
informational purposes only. Don't try this without proper training.
Any repair attempts are at your own risk. It may not be the same
problem that mine had. Don't hold me financially liable to any damage
or expenses you may incur. This fix suggestion is not meant to put
anyone's audio repair business out of business, etc,...

Regards and Good Luck,
D Harrison
dharr...@STOP.SPAM.NOW.carolina.rr.com

WTH

May 6, 2002, 9:55:13 PM5/6/02
Would you think this is heat related? I have a '98 but have had no problems
with the radio yet. I have noticed that after playing a CD for more than an
hour the disc is very warm after ejecting it. I have wondered if the
following would be a cure. I have not had the radio unit out of the dash,
but with 2 a/c ducts right above the radio, what would you think of cutting
a couple of holes in the a/c duct to help cool the radio unit?
wth

"D Harrison" <dharr...@STOP.SPAM.NOW.carolina.rr.com> wrote in message

C-squared

May 6, 2002, 10:44:56 PM5/6/02
On Tue, 07 May 2002 01:55:13 GMT, "WTH" <hornerwH...@mchsi.com>
wrote:

>Would you think this is heat related? I have a '98 but have had no problems
>with the radio yet. I have noticed that after playing a CD for more than an
>hour the disc is very warm after ejecting it. I have wondered if the
>following would be a cure. I have not had the radio unit out of the dash,
>but with 2 a/c ducts right above the radio, what would you think of cutting
>a couple of holes in the a/c duct to help cool the radio unit?
>wth

most cd-players, with on-board amplifiers, tend to warm cd's.
If the cd is capable of burning you, then it's a problem.

I suggest getting a 12V fan from radio shack and wiring it near the
radio to increase underdash air circulation.

cutting holes in the a/c duct will work as well, but might create a
whistle.

Contact: corpsie.com/contact/mail.html

http://www.mp3.com/Laceration_AD

Jack Gross

May 8, 2002, 5:00:53 PM5/8/02
I have to say that this fix works like a charm.

My sister-in-law has a 98' Mountainer that had this problem. She took it to
a local "expert" who wanted a lot ($800) to fix the problem (she also has a
busted cd changer in the console). I saw this article and did the fix on the
radio yesterday and it is lit up like a tree!!!

I was wondering how long this fix is good for and does it make sense to just
replace the stupid power supply for the display instead of touching up the
solder joints every so often.

Also, if anyone has any pointers on the cd changer as to why it will not
load disks or eject the magazine I would appreciate that. I did take it out
and clean out all the junk inside that has fallen in over the years but it
still justs clicks and clacks but does not work. Why they thought that
mounting a changer with the face up in the center console is a good idea is
beyond me.

Thanks again

JaWise

May 8, 2002, 6:45:40 PM5/8/02
>Why they thought that
>mounting a changer with the face up in the center console is a good idea is
>beyond me.

Probly so you don't have to go in the trunk to change cd's. It would be kinda
hard to get the cd's in if the face was down. There is a sliding door to cover
the opening.

Jack Gross

May 8, 2002, 7:31:22 PM5/8/02
I realize that it is better than the trunk (especially when you don't have
one), but the cover is not exactly Coke proof ...

"JaWise" <jaw...@aol.com> wrote in message

D Harrison

May 8, 2002, 11:35:03 PM5/8/02
I think it is a heat related problem (constant contraction and expansion of the
circuit board), however, if you cut a hole in your ducts, then you'll be
blowing hot air into the radio during the winter months or whenever you have
heat circulating through your vents (assuming you live somewhere where you use
heat). It may be better to look at the suggestion made regarding a 12V radio
shack fan.

Good Luck.
D. Harrison
dharr...@STOP.SPAM.NOW.carolina.rr.com

D Harrison

May 8, 2002, 11:41:38 PM5/8/02
Jack,
Glad the fix worked for you. As far as how long this fix will last...I've seen
a posting speculating it lasting about 5 years...longer if you put additional
solder on the joints that your touching up.

Now if I can find out why I have a popping coming out of the steering column (as
if it's coming from my shocks)...always something to keep me busy.

Regards,
D Harrison <dharr...@STOP.SPAM.NOW.carolina.rr.com>

Jack Gross

May 9, 2002, 9:37:37 AM5/9/02
Do you have any ideas on the cd changer? It basically will not load the
cassette and it just keeps clicking. I cleaned out all the junk that had
fallen into it, but it did not help.

Thanks

D Harrison

May 9, 2002, 11:28:56 PM5/9/02
Sorry, I haven't ran into this problem....yet. I'll let you know if I run
across something.
Cheers,
D Harrison

J Park

May 11, 2002, 9:28:41 PM5/11/02
Thanks. I can now see the display again. It didn't bother me too much but
it drove my wife nuts.

Jack Gross

May 12, 2002, 9:39:00 PM5/12/02
Well I got it going.

My borther-in-law loves sunflower seeds ....

One was jammed in the cartridge release mechanism. All is well now.

Thanks

"D Harrison" <dharr...@STOP.SPAM.NOW.carolina.rr.com> wrote in message

TerMar

May 14, 2002, 11:25:53 PM5/14/02
There is another solution. Go to the Evision WEB site and search for the
closest dealer in your area. Evision is the Ford owned company that
provides the radio. The head unit that has the display problem is
manufactured for them by Pioneer. When you've located the closest
authorized dealer, ask them about a swap or repair cost. Most charge
approximately $175 to fix the problem. Also, if you want new, check out the
www.radiosandmore.com web site. They sell new replacement radios for about
$475. Good luck.

David Racker

May 15, 2002, 8:58:32 PM5/15/02
Had a early '90's Explorer on a 3 year lease and loved it. Been envious for
another ever since. I want to buy a car in another couple of months and am
eyeing the 2002 Limited or Eddie-loaded and new. How do they hold their
value? How to warrantees stack up to Japanese SUVs? Have the roll over
problems been solved? What about long term maintainability....good or not
so good? Some of you Explorer fans could give me a heads up on what to
expect if I get one. I'd prefer buying USA built but GM is out of the
question having been burned bad in the '80 by GM product. Thanks in
advance. DCR

David Racker

May 15, 2002, 10:40:39 PM5/15/02
Thanks AZGuy. Your opinion is helpful. Hope I get some more from others
too. Thanks again. DCR

"AZGuy" <jim...@earthlink.net> wrote in message

> On Thu, 16 May 2002 00:58:32 GMT, "David Racker"
> <dc...@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
>
> >Had a early '90's Explorer on a 3 year lease and loved it. Been envious
for
> >another ever since. I want to buy a car in another couple of months and
am
> >eyeing the 2002 Limited or Eddie-loaded and new. How do they hold their
> >value?
>

> Typically jap nameplates hold value a little to a lot better.

> > How to warrantees stack up to Japanese SUVs?
>

> 36 months is 36 months (or whatever the length is).

> > Have the roll over
> >problems been solved?
>

> THere never were any roll over problems. There are many cars with
> higher rollover rates then Explorers ever had.

> >What about long term maintainability....good or not
> >so good?
>

> Good in my experience.

> > Some of you Explorer fans could give me a heads up on what to
> >expect if I get one. I'd prefer buying USA built but GM is out of the
> >question having been burned bad in the '80 by GM product. Thanks in
> >advance. DCR
> >

> I know how it feels when you get burned but IMHO it's kind of silly to
> base "today's opinion" on something that happened 2 decades ago. You
> can get a lemon no matter what you buy. My solution is to just get an
> extended warranty to cover things out to 100K and 7 years. An
> extended warranty on a non-jap vehicle will cost you less then the
> extra you pay just to buy a jap vehicle. I've known plenty of people
> with jap vehicles who had expensive repairs after the factory warranty
> ran out. There is a reason all the jap dealerships have large service
> facilities just like non-jap do. I saw a comparison of yearly
> maintenance cost put together by fleet owners and there wasn't but
> about a $200 a year difference between the good vehicles and the bad
> ones. It included domestic and imported makes.

Ken

May 16, 2002, 9:41:19 AM5/16/02
David

I have an '02 Limited that replaced an '02 Eddie Bauer (more about that
later), that replaced an '00 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited that was Lemon
Law'd (warping brakes ... changed every 6,000 miles!!)

Overall, I could not be happier -- both with the Limited and with Ford's
service.

I suspect that depreciation may be a tad quicker than the import comparables
(i.e. 4-Runner, MB 320, etc.), but believe that this is clearly offset by
the lower overall service/repair costs over the lifetime of the truck. If
you hang around this group a while, you'll find lots of folks who have
150,000+ miles without any serious maintenance issues. Also, we wanted a
TRUCK based SUV, so the converted mini-vans (i.e. Lexus RX300, Highlander,
MDX, etc) were not on the screen.

Now as to my own little story, it a nutshell our new EB came with a nasty
loud squeak from deep inside the firewall that appeared around 300 miles.
After the dealer said "cannot be repaired" and a traveling Ford engineer
said "Wow, I've ever seen or heard of something like this ... replace it
NOW!" we picked out a new Limited. They (Ford and the dealer) were terrific
and I am absolutely convinced that this was a very isolated case.

We eventually choose a Limited over another Eddie Bauer primarily for the
dark interior. With a 3-year old in the house, we had begun to notice quite
a few little stains on the light interior in the EB. So, since equipment
wise they are identical, we went with the Limited.

We have the 4WD V-6 with the towing package and are getting a solid 16 MPG
in town and better than 20 MPG on the road - not bad for a SUV of this size.
Ride and handling are terrific and the availability of the 3rd seat (on
those very rare occasions we actually NEED a 3rd seat!!) was a tie breaker
with several competitors. Quality of fit an finish have also been
excellent. No rattles in this dash in over 2,000 miles!!

Hope you check out the direct competitors and reach the same conclusion ...
the 02 is a terrific SUV!! We plan to keep ours as the primary mode of
transport for a while ... then the beloved second car ... then maybe I'll
teach my 3-year old to drive it when they are BOTH the right age!!

Cheers!!

Ken

"David Racker" <dc...@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message

David Racker

May 20, 2002, 2:35:29 PM5/20/02
Thanks Ken....very helpful. DCR

"Ken" <k...@gateway.com> wrote in message

pAUL

May 22, 2002, 12:06:10 AM5/22/02
From what I've heard the Eddie Bauer ones do not hold their value in the
same respect as the other models when you compare what you pay extra for
them.

--
.
pAUL

"David Racker" <dc...@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message

delc...@gmail.com

Jul 23, 2013, 2:59:30 PM7/23/13
Hello, this is Brent at 1 Factory Radio. The best solution for display lights going out in Ford Explorers is to get a new DC to DC Converter, because this part was usually responsible for display malfunctions due to its own inherent deisgn flaws. We offer our own brand of DC to DC Converter for Ford Explorers and many other Ford vehicles from the late 90's to the early 2000's. Pioneer no longer makes these parts, but ours are 40% less expensive than the ones that Pioneer was selling. These are high-quality, newly manufactured pieces which have been specifically engineered to correct the design flaws which caused the originals to malfunction prematurely, and they come with a full-color instruction manual for easy installation. You can purchase them from our eBay site, http://stores.ebay.com/1factoryradio, and also on the 1 Factory Radio website, www.1factoryradio.com.

alphonso...@gmail.com

Sep 19, 2013, 1:07:53 PM9/19/13
I searched all kinds of forums to get mine fixed. All the contacts are missing or you don't get replies. I ran into a friend of mine that had the same problem and he got his fixed by 'gotsolder AT gmaildotcom'. I contacted him and he fixed mine too. He's out of southern NH. Send him your DC board ($40) board or swap ($45) plus whatever it costs to ship it to him and back. That wasn't a big deal at all. Very quick turn around. Works great. He explained how to do everything step by step. Very impressed.