1997 Grand Caravan - Squeak/Creak from front end?

hu...@gmu.edu

Mar 27, 2002, 9:40:23 PM3/27/02
Greetings!

I have a 1997 Grand Caravan with 3.3L engine (not AWD). Over the past
few months, I've noticed a 'squeaking/creaking' noise from the front
end when I go over speed bumps (or other large road surface
transitions). It intensifies when the front end goes over a
particularly large bump, or sharp turn.

Can you help me diagnose the cause of this problem? Would bad struts
cause this? Worn ball joints? Deteriorated sway bar bushings? In
particular, how do I narrow down what the real problem is? I can
generally fix things, but I like to make sure the diagnosis is correct
- I don't enjoy the shotgun method of repair! I did sucessfully
replace the clockspring, and this did fix the airbag light problem.
I've checked the 'allpar' web site, but didn't see anything there that
would help me.

Thanks for all of your help!

-Joe

jdoe

Mar 28, 2002, 7:14:08 AM3/28/02
Most likely the sway bar bushings.
Larry
<hu...@gmu.edu> wrote in message

Michael Blomquist

Mar 29, 2002, 3:30:02 AM3/29/02
If the squeaking goes away temporarily after driving in the rain, it's the
sway bar bushings. Whenever I rotate tires I squirt a little tire shine
spray (or you could use ArmorAll or some other rubber lubricant) into that
area when I have the front tire off. That takes care of any noises for a
couple of months. MB

"jdoe" <jd...@msn.net> wrote in message

Larry

Mar 30, 2002, 11:31:18 AM3/30/02
I had the same creaking moaning sound in the front end of of my 97 Grand and
there is a tsb on the nhtsa website of the details. Took it in to the
dealer and they had to reposition the engine cradle, took care of the
creaking and did it at no charge.