Fire Tower "free air" tests on Lowthers and Quads

Acrosound

Mar 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/29/99
This post by Bee C. was so good I thought it deserved a thread of it's own....

Here are Bob's introductory comments:

::Guys get a load of this "Blast From The Past" The Famous Jute Lowther Tower
::Test...

::This is where the great Dr. Jute claims he hauls speakers to the top of a
::fire tower for "Free Air' testing.

::He even say he hauled Quad ESLs up there. You have to see it to believe it!

::He even claims that a Lowther in free air goes down to 16Hz. What a hoot.

::Catch the part where he claims a manufacturer in Denmark wants to license
::his speaker designs. Boy are we in the midst of greatness.

::Then take a look at the phony Modular Amp story near the end of the post
::below. Same bull-crap two years ago. Jute, aren't you due for an oil change
::yet?

(edit. note: the following post was submitted by Andre Jute to Joenet on
5/15/97)

> Date: Thu, 15 May 1997 20:12:19 +0100
> Subject: Re: Lowthers in free air

(edit. note: the following text marked with a single carrot is andre jute
speaking)

> At the moment, having conducted the true free air listening test up a
> fire
> tower, I have a Lowther driver hanging by string off the back off a
> metal
> frame chair on the other side of my studio. On the other channel is a
> B&O
> speaker that I like which would probably today be in the same price
> bracket
> as a pair of horns. The B&O is padded down by being facedown on the
> floor
> and covered with an eiderdown to a lower output than the Lowther, so
> that
> by moving around I can get 'more' of the sound of the one than the
> other.
> This is better than an A/B test for me because you can make an instant
> comparison by just leaning your body this way and that.

> The open air test was conducted with a Sony Discman as a source and a
> QUAD
> 405/2 tranny amp. The test in my studio is with a Quad 67 CD player and
> the
> Miyabe PSE 300B amp I built a couple of weeks ago, simply because it is
> plugged in. Test music: Handel/Samson/16/Symphony of Harmony and
> Invention/Christophers/3 discs/Collins 70382
>
> Open air test, 60ft up an open-frame fire tower. Midrange nothing
> special.
> Treble shrill. One of the firemen to whom I give old LPs and duplicate
> CDs
> because he has a liking for classical music, and a spare pair of QUAD II
> on
> loan, rolled his eyes when on being asked the price, I guessed a pair of
> PM6A would cost maybe seen or eight hundred bucks. He wasn't impressed.
> His
> mate, who had on another occasion helped haul up ESL for test, and a lot
> of
> measuring equipment, said, 'The big flat one sure sounded better. A lot
> better. That was worth the effort.'
>
> Studio free air test. Midrange nothing special. Serious distortion on
> treble even in male voices when the wick on a 16W amp is turned up.
> Distortion on all voices audible close up even at very low volumes. Not
> impressed. My son said, 'I hope you haven't paid a lot for *these*
> speakers.' The only good thing to be said is that the bass, what there
> is
> of it in these circumstances, is actually of a good quality--I am right
> now
> listening to the end of track 18 on disc 3 where the big bass drum does
> its
> funeral beat and, except for having not having the lowest, impact
> frequency
> (would a horn give it to you anyway?--isn't that down about 16 cycles?),
> it
> sounds right.

( edit. note: the triple carrot text is by Tom Ronan and to which Andre's
response is
then marked by a single carrot... read on it gets even funnier!!!)