Need help setting up Thorens TD-166 mkII

Marshall35

Oct 4, 1995, 3:00:00 AM10/4/95
I've recently added an aftermarket rubber mat to my Thorens, which was
much heavier than the original, causing it to "ride" lower on it's
suspension. I tried adjusting the springs to compensate, and now I
believe it is totally out "in left field", as the usually fine Thorens
isolation system has become a resonant "jack in the box", with even
moderate foot traffic causing "skippage".

Does anyone know how to set up the Thorens properly, or have a service
manual I could purchase a copy of?

Thanks in advance!

Alan Peterman

Oct 6, 1995, 3:00:00 AM10/6/95
marsh...@aol.com (Marshall35) writes:

>I've recently added an aftermarket rubber mat to my Thorens, which was
>much heavier than the original, causing it to "ride" lower on it's
>suspension. I tried adjusting the springs to compensate, and now I
>believe it is totally out "in left field", as the usually fine Thorens
>isolation system has become a resonant "jack in the box", with even
>moderate foot traffic causing "skippage".

The problem is that by adding mass to the floating table you have
lowered the resonant frequency of the sub-assembly to where it
is affected by mechanical disturbances. You're not going to be
able to change this without going to stiffer springs.

The only really practical solution is to isolate the whole
table from the floor - and this is actually quite doable
by putting the table on a good shelf hung from the wall.
If your wall is shaking, it's time to leave the building..

--
Alan L. Peterman (503)-684-1984 hm & work
a...@qiclab.scn.rain.com Tigard, Oregon 97224