Still Problems with Delta 1010

sh2...@gmail.com

Oct 19, 2006, 8:45:59 AM10/19/06
Hey all;

A few months back I posted about having problems with my Delta 1010 and
Cubase SX3. Since then I have been working for weeks to try and
determine what the problem was. I went extensively through MusicXP's
troubleshooting, M-Audio's troubleshooting and I am still having the
same problems. I decided to start recording "silence" with all 10
channels active on my 1010. I found that the problem is not with the
incoming signals in my setup but with something causing my 1010 or
software put a digital "sound" on a channel sort of randomly. When I
zoomed into the problem it looked like this:

0__________ ______________
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
-100 ----

Excuse the cruse drawing but I think you can get the picture. It
sounds like a "snap" and my meters on my Delta for that channel show
this. It seems impossible that it could be my mixer or and analog
signal doing this since it seems to be consistent. I thought it may be
a power problem so I put an APC BK600 UPS on my Delta and mixer. Same
issue.

I don't believe it is a PC/PCI resource problem. I downgrade from
Cubase SX3 to SX2 and still had the same problems. A day ago I
installed ProTools M-Powered 6.8. I did the same thing (recorded
silence) and I was not able to repeat the issue after several tries.
My question is does ProTools use the same M-Audio ASIO driver as Cubase
(I am using the M-Audio Driver in Cubase SX).

I would like to continue using Cubase but I can't seem to shake this
problem. I don't have the time to learn ProTools. Has anyone else
experienced this problem? As well what driver version from M-Audio
would you recommend for the best results with Cubase with the 1010?

Cheers;
Steve-o

Arny Krueger

Oct 19, 2006, 9:04:44 AM10/19/06
<sh2...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> Hey all;
>
> A few months back I posted about having problems with my
> Delta 1010 and Cubase SX3. Since then I have been
> working for weeks to try and determine what the problem
> was. I went extensively through MusicXP's
> troubleshooting, M-Audio's troubleshooting and I am still
> having the same problems. I decided to start recording
> "silence" with all 10 channels active on my 1010. I
> found that the problem is not with the incoming signals
> in my setup but with something causing my 1010 or
> software put a digital "sound" on a channel sort of
> randomly. When I zoomed into the problem it looked like
> this:
>
> 0__________ ______________
> | |
> | |
> | |
> | |
> | |
> | |
> -100 ----

Classic momentary data loss. Usual cause: excess contention for the PCI bus
or some other critical resource.

> Excuse the cruse drawing but I think you can get the
> picture. It sounds like a "snap" and my meters on my
> Delta for that channel show this. It seems impossible
> that it could be my mixer or and analog signal doing this
> since it seems to be consistent. I thought it may be a
> power problem so I put an APC BK600 UPS on my Delta and
> mixer. Same issue.

UPS don't solve problems like this as a rule.

> I don't believe it is a PC/PCI resource problem.

In some sense it almost has to be.

> I downgrade from Cubase SX3 to SX2 and still had the same
> problems.

You might have this problem with just about any recording software, maybe
even Windows Sound Recorder that comes with XP.

> A day ago I installed ProTools M-Powered 6.8.
> I did the same thing (recorded silence) and I was not
> able to repeat the issue after several tries.

Yeah, its not an application software problem, except maybe by a highly
indirect means.

> My question
> is does ProTools use the same M-Audio ASIO driver as
> Cubase (I am using the M-Audio Driver in Cubase SX).

That's the usual case: One hardware-specific ASIO driver per device.

> I would like to continue using Cubase but I can't seem to
> shake this problem. I don't have the time to learn
> ProTools. Has anyone else experienced this problem?

I'm sure they have.

> As well what driver version from M-Audio would you recommend
> for the best results with Cubase with the 1010?

I usually get good results with the latest-greatest, but I don't have a lot
of experience with ASIO. How do the MMC drivers work?

Clean up the machine.

Given the time and energy you've put into this problem already, you could
probably do worse than just pick up a new hard drive at the local office
supply store and do a clean install of XP and Cubase on it. I bet that you
wouldn't have any problems with *it*.

But, if you proved me wrong, we'd all know something we currently don't
know. If it works, we'd know something we don't currently know. Win-win, I'd
say! (No pun intended.)

sh2...@gmail.com

Oct 19, 2006, 11:22:13 AM10/19/06
Hey Arny;

Thanks for the response. This machine *was* a clean XP install with
Cubase and I had the same problem before I started messing with it. I
am trying to find a configuration that works then I will re-install it.
XP is running in APCI (sp?) mode and my Delta is getting it's own IRQ
(22). I guess my only other option to try at this point is taking XP
out of APCI and forcing the Delta to a lower IRQ (unshared of course).
I haven't tried the MMC drivers yet, but maybe it's worth a shot. The
only other device that use PCI is my Firewire Card, possibly my IDE
controller on board uses PCI and I have an AGP video Card as well. I
already tried pulling my video card, no dice.

Thanks for the suggestions.
Cheers;
Steve-o

sh2...@gmail.com

Oct 19, 2006, 11:23:12 AM10/19/06
Actually I did want to ask, I have a setting in BIO for PCI latency.
What should this be set to?

Thanks;
Steve-o

Arny Krueger

Oct 19, 2006, 12:57:25 PM10/19/06

> Hey Arny;
>
> Thanks for the response. This machine *was* a clean XP
> install with Cubase and I had the same problem before I
> started messing with it. I am trying to find a
> configuration that works then I will re-install it. XP is
> running in APCI (sp?) mode and my Delta is getting it's
> own IRQ (22). I guess my only other option to try at
> this point is taking XP out of APCI and forcing the Delta
> to a lower IRQ (unshared of course).

I use 1010s in a machine that is running completely vanilla everything. It's
an older Athlon XP 2000 with a Sis chipset.

> I haven't tried the
> MMC drivers yet, but maybe it's worth a shot.

Latency may go up, but you might get better reliabilty.

> The only
> other device that use PCI is my Firewire Card, possibly
> my IDE controller on board uses PCI and I have an AGP
> video Card as well. I already tried pulling my video
> card, no dice.

I'd pull everything I could and see if that helps.

Message has been deleted

steve-o

Oct 19, 2006, 8:20:39 PM10/19/06
> The ASIO driver will be supplied by M-Audio. I presume you have tried:
> upping latency, pulling out all other non-essential cards in the
> machine, different driver revisions etc?
I have tried one other driver version (one lower). I am ready to try going
even lower in the driver revs.

> In my experience problems like this can run and run with no obvious
> solution. You may find yourself spending many hours chasing ever more
> remote possibilities. Are you feeling that? If so, I suggest replacing
> the soundcard.

Eek, my Delta 1010 us what I biult my studio around.

Thanks for the reply. I am going to exhaust some more possibilities before
I give up the 1010.

Cheers;
Steve-o

> --
> S i g n a l @ l i n e o n e . n e t

Arny Krueger

Oct 20, 2006, 8:23:03 AM10/20/06
"steve-o" <nos...@nospam.com> wrote in message

> Eek, my Delta 1010 us what I built my studio around.

> Thanks for the reply. I am going to exhaust some more
> possibilities before I give up the 1010.

1010s don't work like this in general. There might be some strange
incompatibiility between the motherboard and the 1010, though. Or the
motherboard might have a fault. Or the 1010 interface card might have a
subtle fault. You've got a lifetime warranty on the 1010, right?

sh2...@gmail.com

Oct 20, 2006, 9:02:44 AM10/20/06
Anry/All;

I solved the problem last night. As a last resort I took XP out of
ACPI mode and gave my Delta card an IRQ of 4 instead of 22 (I have
disabled all of the onboard Serial/Parallel ports). This seems to have
solved the problem. When I raised this issue with M-Audio they seemed
to think that an IRQ of 22 was fine as long as it wasn't sharing the
resource with anything else. This unfortunately was not the case here.
Looks like I will be re-installing my DAW this weekend in Standard PC
mode. The only thing that worries me is that my Processor is a Pentium
D, and the M-Audio web site indicates that XP will not run in Standard
PC mode if you are running a Dual Core processor although it seemed to
work fine last night when I switched it over and performance was fine.

Thanks for all of your help!
Cheers;
Steve-o

Arny Krueger

Oct 20, 2006, 9:22:53 AM10/20/06

> Anry/All;
>
> I solved the problem last night. As a last resort I took
> XP out of ACPI mode and gave my Delta card an IRQ of 4
> instead of 22 (I have disabled all of the onboard
> Serial/Parallel ports). This seems to have solved the
> problem. When I raised this issue with M-Audio they
> seemed to think that an IRQ of 22 was fine as long as it
> wasn't sharing the resource with anything else. This
> unfortunately was not the case here. Looks like I will be
> re-installing my DAW this weekend in Standard PC mode.
> The only thing that worries me is that my Processor is a
> Pentium D, and the M-Audio web site indicates that XP
> will not run in Standard PC mode if you are running a
> Dual Core processor although it seemed to work fine last
> night when I switched it over and performance was fine.

That may shed a little light.

Years ago I discovered that there are such things audio interface device
drivers that don't run well on systems with multiple processors (MP).

Dual core is basicaly a limited implementation of MP. It's possible that
M-Audio are not up on their homework.

In a former life I wrote a lot of OS Kernal code for MPs in assembly
language. It's a special skill all by itself. I suspect that the mainstream
rollout of dual core is going to be breaking a lot of things particularly
device drivers, for at least a year.

By running your PC is Standard PC Mode you may be effectively turning the
dual core feature off. That would "fix" a device driver that was not working
well on a MP.

IME dual core does not do much for a lot of audio applications, but it seems
to be *The Bomb* for Adobe Premiere. I've got a dual core 3800 Athlon 64
that runs Premiere like it was MS Word. It Is fine but nothing special for
editing with Audition.

I don't record on this particular PC, so I don't know what it would do with
my Delta 1010/1010LT farm.

Meindert Sprang

Oct 20, 2006, 9:22:26 AM10/20/06
<sh2...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> Anry/All;
>
> I solved the problem last night. As a last resort I took XP out of
> ACPI mode and gave my Delta card an IRQ of 4 instead of 22 (I have
> disabled all of the onboard Serial/Parallel ports). This seems to have
> solved the problem. When I raised this issue with M-Audio they seemed
> to think that an IRQ of 22 was fine as long as it wasn't sharing the
> resource with anything else.

This is very very strange as an IRQ 22 does not exist. The interrupt
controller in a PC has only 16 interrupt inputs, numbered from IRQ0 to
IRQ15.

Meindert

Arny Krueger

Oct 20, 2006, 9:43:16 AM10/20/06
"Meindert Sprang" <m...@NOJUNKcustomORSPAMware.nl> wrote in
message news:12jhjk5...@corp.supernews.com

I suspect that IRQ 22 would be an enhanced mode virtual interrupt number.

Laurence Payne

Oct 20, 2006, 11:10:19 AM10/20/06
On Fri, 20 Oct 2006 15:22:26 +0200, "Meindert Sprang"
<m...@NOJUNKcustomORSPAMware.nl> wrote:

>This is very very strange as an IRQ 22 does not exist. The interrupt
>controller in a PC has only 16 interrupt inputs, numbered from IRQ0 to
>IRQ15.

Ancient history. Look up ACPI and APIC.

Laurence Payne

Oct 20, 2006, 11:14:31 AM10/20/06
On 20 Oct 2006 06:02:44 -0700, sh2...@gmail.com wrote:

>I solved the problem last night. As a last resort I took XP out of
>ACPI mode and gave my Delta card an IRQ of 4 instead of 22 (I have
>disabled all of the onboard Serial/Parallel ports). This seems to have
>solved the problem. When I raised this issue with M-Audio they seemed
>to think that an IRQ of 22 was fine as long as it wasn't sharing the
>resource with anything else. This unfortunately was not the case here.
> Looks like I will be re-installing my DAW this weekend in Standard PC
>mode. The only thing that worries me is that my Processor is a Pentium
>D, and the M-Audio web site indicates that XP will not run in Standard
>PC mode if you are running a Dual Core processor although it seemed to
>work fine last night when I switched it over and performance was fine.

I have had a 1010 running perfectly well on a high IRQ for many years,
with a hyperthreading Pentium 4. I'm afraid you're reinforcing my
opinion that musicians need to be wary of the new Dual-core systems.
You're making yours work by crippling it, which is a pity.

Meindert Sprang

Oct 20, 2006, 11:18:10 AM10/20/06
"Laurence Payne" <lpayne1NOSPAM@dslDOTpipexDOTcom> wrote in message

Apparently, thanks for the hint. I must admit, I lost track of the innards
of computer hardware since I designed my last I/O card some 8 years ago.
Things were much simpler then :-)

Meindert

Julien Bernier

Oct 20, 2006, 11:24:41 AM10/20/06

Try to set the latency of your delta (in the control panel) at a higher
value. Ie if it's 256, try 512, etc.
Try to unload your CPU from anything that might take too much "juice".
When it does that, take a look at the task manager and look for CPU
usage. If it way up, it might be some plugin or some application
running who does that.

Arny Krueger

Oct 20, 2006, 12:25:40 PM10/20/06
"Laurence Payne" <lpayne1NOSPAM@dslDOTpipexDOTcom> wrote in
message news:qlphj25dbdgbs7ohs...@4ax.com

Yes, they had to rethink a lot of things to make these puppies
power-efficient.

sh2...@gmail.com

Oct 20, 2006, 1:24:44 PM10/20/06
Hi Julien;

I have tried adjusting the latency no dice. :-( This problem was
happening on a clean XP install, no other software running.

Cheers;
Steve

sh2...@gmail.com

Oct 20, 2006, 1:27:12 PM10/20/06
Laurence;

I was under the impression XP could use my dual core if I installed the
"MPS Multiprocessor PC", Non-ACPI APIC MP HAL (Halmps.dll) layer when I
was installing XP.

Are you saying this may not work?

If so, YIKES!

Cheers;
Steve

Laurence Payne

Oct 20, 2006, 3:36:38 PM10/20/06
On 20 Oct 2006 10:27:12 -0700, sh2...@gmail.com wrote:

>I was under the impression XP could use my dual core if I installed the
>"MPS Multiprocessor PC", Non-ACPI APIC MP HAL (Halmps.dll) layer when I
>was installing XP.

Is that what you meant by "Standard PC"?

steve-o

Oct 20, 2006, 6:07:33 PM10/20/06
Actually when I was messing around with it switched it to "Standard Mode".
I just re-installed using ""MPS Multiprocessor PC" which I believe is a non
APCI HAL which supports Multi Processors. It seems to have helped although
my M-Audio even though I forced the interrupt it took interrupt 40??
There's interrupts going into the triple digits in MSINFO.

Is this normal?

It seems to work for now, I am still in testing mode. I hope this works! I
have been at this since August.

Cheers;
Steve-o

"Laurence Payne" <lpayne1NOSPAM@dslDOTpipexDOTcom> wrote in message

steve-o

Oct 21, 2006, 11:56:56 AM10/21/06
Well, I think I found the problem. On the install of XP with non ACPI
Multiprocessor HAL, everything was working fine. After this I connected an
IDE hard drive to Ghost my system. As soon as I was done this I rebooted
and the problem appeared again. I went into BIOS, and IDE/PCI BusMastering
had been enabled automatically. I disconnected the hard drive and disabled
the IDE BusMastering. The problem went away!!!!!!

I am hoping I have licked this problem. Thanks for all your help.

Cheers;
Steve

Arny Krueger

Oct 22, 2006, 7:02:04 AM10/22/06

> Well, I think I found the problem. On the install of XP
> with non ACPI Multiprocessor HAL, everything was working
> fine. After this I connected an IDE hard drive to Ghost
> my system. As soon as I was done this I rebooted and the
> problem appeared again. I went into BIOS, and IDE/PCI
> BusMastering had been enabled automatically. I
> disconnected the hard drive and disabled the IDE
> BusMastering. The problem went away!!!!!!

What motherboard is this?

sh2...@gmail.com

Oct 23, 2006, 11:50:59 AM10/23/06

ASUS P5P800 SE. Intel 865PE Chipset.

I did some more messing with it over the weekend. I re-installed XP
with the normal ACPI Multiprocessor and the problem came back.

When I installed, my Delta 1010 was in the same spot it was in when I
installed the MCP Multiprocessor NON-acpi hal, except now it was
showing it was sharing with my Intel Pro 1000 MT adapter so I switched
PCI slots.

I have heard there is a problem with the Intel pro100MT on these
motherboards but I think it went away with a BOIS update (I am at the
latest rev).

Cheers;
Steve