Odd Adobe Audition 1.5 Problem

Rick Ruskin

Jun 7, 2010, 1:33:43 PM6/7/10
I'm transferring some old 1/2" 16 track material to wav for a client.
I'm saving all files as 24 bit rather than Audition's default 32 bit
floating point because some programs can't deal with floating point..
1 set of files crashes the program when I attempt to verify they are
actually 24 rather than 32 bit. Any ideas as to what's going on and
how to remedy it without having to re-transfer from analog?

Rick Ruskin
Lion Dog Music - Seattle WA
http://liondogmusic.com
http://www.myspace.com/rickruskin

Arny Krueger

Jun 7, 2010, 2:52:18 PM6/7/10
"Rick Ruskin" <lio...@isomedia.com> wrote in message

> I'm transferring some old 1/2" 16 track material to wav
> for a client. I'm saving all files as 24 bit rather than
> Audition's default 32 bit floating point because some
> programs can't deal with floating point.. 1 set of files
> crashes the program when I attempt to verify they are
> actually 24 rather than 32 bit. Any ideas as to what's
> going on and how to remedy it without having to
> re-transfer from analog?

I presume that you are working in multitrack mode.

If that's the case, just create a new 32 bit session, and add the files you
have already transferred into it. You lose your edits, but you don't have
to re-transfer from analog.

Rick Ruskin

Jun 7, 2010, 3:16:46 PM6/7/10
On Mon, 7 Jun 2010 14:52:18 -0400, "Arny Krueger" <ar...@hotpop.com>
wrote:

How will importing the same odd files into a new session change their
behavior when I try to re-save them as 24 bit files?

Arny Krueger

Jun 7, 2010, 7:18:01 PM6/7/10
"Rick Ruskin" <lio...@isomedia.com> wrote in message

I guess I didn't understand what you meant by "crashes the program when I

attempt to verify they are

actually 24 rather than 32 bit". I guess I still don't.

Rick Ruskin

Jun 7, 2010, 7:30:11 PM6/7/10
On Mon, 7 Jun 2010 19:18:01 -0400, "Arny Krueger" <ar...@hotpop.com>
wrote:

I have no problem opening or playing any individual file from this
session in Audition. I need to make sure all files are compatible
with other programs that can open wavs. Because some programs don't
like 32 bit floating point files, I've saved everything as 24 bit.
Audition has a utility in edit view that will analyze whatever file is
being viewed and give the actual bit rate. The files in question
crash the program when I ask for this analysis. I want to know what
could be causing this. Only the files from 1 session are causing the
problem. Understand now?

WallysWorld

Jun 7, 2010, 10:12:37 PM6/7/10

Why not try Ardour under Linux?
It will do what you are looking for and a whole lot more and the best
part is that it is free.

http://www.64studio.com/

Audition 1.5 is old news.
It is buggy and unstable compared to the CoolEdit program that
pre-dated it.

Try Linux.
The source code will set you free.

Linux is the future.

--
HPT

George Hostler

Rick Ruskin

Jun 7, 2010, 10:26:57 PM6/7/10
On Mon, 7 Jun 2010 22:12:37 -0400, WallysWorld <wall...@aus.org>
wrote:

GO FUCK YOURSELF!

PStamler

Jun 8, 2010, 2:07:55 AM6/8/10
On Jun 7, 9:26 pm, Rick Ruskin <lion...@isomedia.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 7 Jun 2010 22:12:37 -0400, WallysWorld <walla...@aus.org>
> wrote:
> >Try Linux.
> >The source code will set you free.
>
> >Linux is the future.
>
> GO FUCK YOURSELF!

And while he's doing that...if you want to know what the bit-format of
a file is in Audition, go to the Editing screen rather than the
multitrack, and hit Ctrl-O to open files. As you highlight each file,
its format will be described. Scroll down and you'll see the formats
of all the files in that folder. No need to open them at all.

Or is that what you're doing, and is that what's crashing?

Peace,
Paul

JT

Jun 8, 2010, 4:48:30 AM6/8/10

> GO FUCK YOURSELF!

Don't let 'em get to you Rick - after all, he's probably tried that too but
found it physically impossible...

Mike Rivers

Jun 8, 2010, 8:23:48 AM6/8/10
WallysWorld wrote:

> Why not try Ardour under Linux?

Here's a better idea - try a $160 Zoom H2 recorder. Someone
else has already installed and configured the software, the
converters are decent, and it just works. Maybe it's even
Linux-based. I don't know. Why don't you reverse engineer
one and check it out? That's probably a simple thing for
anyone who regularly uses Linux. You pretty much have to do
that any time you install new software.

of audio." - John Watkinson

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Peter Larsen

Jun 13, 2010, 9:06:18 AM6/13/10
Rick Ruskin wrote:

> I'm transferring some old 1/2" 16 track material to wav for a client.
> I'm saving all files as 24 bit rather than Audition's default 32 bit
> floating point because some programs can't deal with floating point..

Is is a real problem or an imaginary fear?

At what stage in the process? - I would make the conversion as a batchjob as
the very large stage.

> 1 set of files crashes the program when I attempt to verify they are
> actually 24 rather than 32 bit.

Extra data-chunks? - disable those then.

> Any ideas as to what's going on and
> how to remedy it without having to re-transfer from analog?

A good first guess is that you save 3+ gigabytes 24 bit files .... remember
that all 24 bit files get expanded to 32 bit format on opening, a large
waste of time.

Putting the mouse on the file in the edit view open window tells you all you
need to know.

> Rick Ruskin

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Peter Larsen

Jun 13, 2010, 6:21:13 PM6/13/10
Preben Friis wrote:

> "Peter Larsen" <dig...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

>> .... remember that all 24 bit files get expanded to 32 bit format on
>> opening, a large waste of time.
>

> This is what every modern DAW does. By your logic all 16 bit audio
> should be saved as 32 floating point as well?

Nah, but one has to be aware of the expansion when opening a 3+ gigabyte 24
bit file, I don't think A3 cares, but A1.5 sure does and it this is about
A1.5 disliking some files.

> Saving 24 bit of information in 32 bits is a 33% waste of hard disk
> and bandwidth.

Agreed, but reading 32 bit data is faster and that is what matters when you
work with stuff, work-storage and long term storage are different
considerations.

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

> /Preben Friis

Peter Larsen

Jun 13, 2010, 6:22:38 PM6/13/10
Rick Ruskin wrote:

> Audition's record resolution options are 8 bit, 16 bit, and 32 bit
> float. There is no 24 bit option on the way into the program. You
> must tell it to save in straight 24 bit resolution, otherwise it saves
> everyhing above 16 bits as 32 bit float.

You didn't say how large the 24 bit audio files you encounter problems with
are ...?

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

> Rick Ruskin

Rick Ruskin

Jun 14, 2010, 12:30:31 AM6/14/10
On Sun, 13 Jun 2010 23:22:38 +0100, "Peter Larsen"
<dig...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Rick Ruskin wrote:
>
>> Audition's record resolution options are 8 bit, 16 bit, and 32 bit
>> float. There is no 24 bit option on the way into the program. You
>> must tell it to save in straight 24 bit resolution, otherwise it saves
>> everyhing above 16 bits as 32 bit float.
>
>You didn't say how large the 24 bit audio files you encounter problems with
>are ...?

Not all that large. 3.5 minutes or so mono files. It's moot now, I
re-transferred the files in question.

Message has been deleted

Arny Krueger

Jun 14, 2010, 10:59:08 AM6/14/10
"Rick Ruskin" <lio...@isomedia.com> wrote in message

> I'm transferring some old 1/2" 16 track material to wav
> for a client. I'm saving all files as 24 bit rather than
> Audition's default 32 bit floating point because some
> programs can't deal with floating point.. 1 set of files
> crashes the program when I attempt to verify they are
> actually 24 rather than 32 bit. Any ideas as to what's
> going on and how to remedy it without having to
> re-transfer from analog?

I am unfamiliar with what you mean by "verify they are actually 24 rather
than 32 bit".

How are you doing that?

Rick Ruskin

Jun 14, 2010, 12:19:56 PM6/14/10
On Mon, 14 Jun 2010 10:59:08 -0400, "Arny Krueger" <ar...@hotpop.com>
wrote:

>"Rick Ruskin" <lio...@isomedia.com> wrote in message

I answered this once before. Audition has a utility in edit view that

will analyze whatever file is being viewed and give the actual bit
rate.

1. In edit view, click on Analyze
2. Choose "Statistics" option from the Analyse menu.
3. The last item on the left ahnd column is "bit depth."

Arny Krueger

Jun 14, 2010, 4:32:08 PM6/14/10
"Rick Ruskin" <lio...@isomedia.com> wrote in message

Try this:

Open the file.
In edit view, click on file, save as
In the file save dialog box, click on Options.
There will be a window titled "format 32 bit data as". The text in this
window will state the actual file format and allow you to verify that they
are actually 24 bit rather than 32 bit.

Rick Ruskin

Jun 14, 2010, 5:33:31 PM6/14/10
On Mon, 14 Jun 2010 16:32:08 -0400, "Arny Krueger" <ar...@hotpop.com>
wrote:

I did that. I save everything that is going to be dealt with at
another studio as 24 bit unless told to do otherwise. With the one
group of files at issue, Audition did not behave properly and screwed
the files up. How many times do I have to keep going over the same
ground? At this point, I don't care anymore because I've
re-transferred the material.

Arny Krueger

Jun 15, 2010, 7:28:20 AM6/15/10

> I did that.

Well, there's your answer. Why continue to struggle?

> With the one group of files at issue,
> Audition did not behave properly and screwed the files
> up.

If you question the integrity of your Audition installation, uninstall it
and reinstall it.

> How many times do I have to keep going over the same
> ground?

Good question. You're the guy trapped in the loop. You kept doing the same
thing over and over again, expecting a different result. When a fairly
well-debugged program like Audition locks up accessing file data, it usually
means that data files are truely corrupted in unusual ways.

> At this point, I don't care anymore because
> I've re-transferred the material.

Unless you've diagnosed some problem with your system and corrected it, the
same thing is likely to happen again.

At this point many possibilities seem open. There could be a hardware
problem with your hard drive, and it works up from there.

Semi-relevant anecdote. My primary A/V production computer has 4 hard drives
ranging from 250 GB to 1 TB each. The machine started locking up randomly -
once a week, then once a day, then it would only stay up for a few hours. I
eventually isolated the problem to the 500 GB boot drive. It took a fair
amount of time and effort to recover the disk and transfer the data, but
once the failing drive was replaced with aa new 1 TB drive, all was well.

My point is that the failures that I now see on hard drives are different
from past experience. Instead of data corruption that we saw in the past, I
now see more systems either totally locking up or blocks of data just going
missing.

High Plains Thumper

Aug 4, 2010, 12:18:38 AM8/4/10
On 06/07/2010 08:12 PM, nymshifter nymthief using WallysWorld to hide

From: WallysWorld <wall...@aus.org>
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2010 22:12:37 -0400

Yup, it is Gary Stewart AKA Singer, Charles Griggs, M0she, Moshe
Goldfarb (nymthief of WW2 Jewish Holocaust survivor), flatfish, among
others.

Yup, rather than reply appropriately to the topic at hand, as a depraved
coward nymthieves my HPT nym to post his off topic drivel masquerading
as a so called Linux advocate in an audio forum.

The same worthless puss head who has criticised my Roland Boss BR600
recorder, GW-7 keyboard, GEM WK2HD midi arranger, etc. in other forums.

Yup Gary, you are a dirty, worthless idiot.

http://colatrolls.blogspot.com

--
HPT