Yet Another "What If" Mic Collection Thread

Analogeezer

Jun 15, 2001, 9:53:52 AM6/15/01
Maybe this has been done before, but:

I've seen stuff like "what are your favorite 10 mics", "what mics would you buy
if you could only spend $xxxx", "what would be your desert island mic", etc., I
thought it might be fun to ask:

WHAT IN YOUR MIC COLLECTION WOULD YOU REALLY LIKE TO GET RID OF?

I'm sure people have some interesting "dogs", or mics they have found no use for,
or ones just taking up space. There have got to be some funny ones...

Here are two from me:

1. A mic I DID get rid of - SAMSON S-11

I guess this thing was some sort of
knockoff of a SM-58, but it sounded nothing like a SM-58. I tried it on a
variety of things and it worked on nothing. I sold it to some guy for $40 (I
think these days new ones sell for $49.95).

The thing is, it was a "Free" mic, in that it was a bonus thrown in on another
gear purchase.

I'd say it was well worth what I paid for it...

2. One I SHOULD get rid of - SONY ECM-23F

I don't know why I don't get rid of this thing, except that it's kind of cool
looking in that late 1970's sort of way (I bought it in 1982). It's an
electret condensor which to my dumbass in 1982 meant "good", powered by a
1.5 volts with an AA battery. Compared to a regular 48 volt condensor, it sounds
about 1/32 as good (48 divided by 1.5).

I originally used it as a spot mic on ride or hats, or as an overhead (recording
drums in mono back in those days) until I figured out that a SM-57 actually
sounded better.

The coolest thing about this mic was the ad campaign back then - it showed an
ECM-23F dunked into a glass of beer, with the tag line "This mic will sing again"

I never tried the beer thing, but at the time I was gigging in a lot of bars and
figured that this (being beer proof) was probably a good thing.

Anyway it looks pretty cool, sort of like post modern Jetsons, but I pulled it
out a while back on acoustic guitar and compared it to an Oktava MC-012 and it
was pretty much no contest.

The only use the thing gets these days is every year or so, I loan it to a guy
at work for some sort of church musical thing that they do.

So let's hear what you want to get rid of, one man's trash might be another
man's treasure...

Analogeezer

Kevin F. Rose

Jun 15, 2001, 11:29:39 AM6/15/01
1. Te dropped 421 (thanks bass man) that looks like it's been driven
over by a truck.
2. The C-3000 someone traded for time. I wish I could have that part
of my life back.
3. I will never give up my driv in movie speaker(mic).
"what?"
Richard M. Nixon

Jay Kahrs

Jun 15, 2001, 12:26:02 PM6/15/01
I have an AKG D3500 that I'd love to part with. It's a great mic for guitars,
toms, and things like that that you'd use a 421 on. But it doesn't have the
same "beef" as a 421 and I have so many other things that it never gets used. I
also don't use my Rat Shack PZM's all that much which I feel bad about but I
don't think I'd get rid of both. Maybe one of them. The AKG D310 I have is
another great mic that I don't use a lot. Sometimes on snare or guitars but
that's it.

---
-Jay Kahrs
Owner - Engineer - Producer
Mad Moose Recording Inc.
Morris Plains, NJ
http://www.madmooserecording.com

Mike Rivers

Jun 15, 2001, 3:08:52 PM6/15/01

> WHAT IN YOUR MIC COLLECTION WOULD YOU REALLY LIKE TO GET RID OF?

I have a couple of Sony ECM-21's from 1970. I wonder if they still
have any charge left on the electrets. Are they vintage yet?

--
I'm really Mike Rivers (mri...@d-and-d.com)

Carey Carlan

Jun 15, 2001, 3:23:19 PM6/15/01
Mike Rivers wrote:

> In article <2df27a88.01061...@posting.google.com> jst...@usgs.gov writes:
>
> > WHAT IN YOUR MIC COLLECTION WOULD YOU REALLY LIKE TO GET RID OF?
>
> I have a couple of Sony ECM-21's from 1970. I wonder if they still
> have any charge left on the electrets. Are they vintage yet?

Are they any relation to the Teledyne EC-100 that I bought at Olson's Electronics in
the 70's and haven't had out of the box since the 80's?

JnyVee

Jun 15, 2001, 6:10:45 PM6/15/01
jst...@usgs.gov (Analogeezer) wrote:

> Maybe this has been done before, but:
>
> I've seen stuff like "what are your favorite 10 mics", "what mics would you
> buy
> if you could only spend $xxxx", "what would be your desert island mic", etc.,
> thought it might be fun to ask:
>
> WHAT IN YOUR MIC COLLECTION WOULD YOU REALLY LIKE TO GET RID OF?

SHURE 24L (i think)
first cheap-line 58-copy they tried to market... makes a MUCH better
contact pickup than anything... and this in a mic INTENDED to be
handheld.... unusable.

--
<Help Keep The Net Emoticon-free!>

Fulltone

Jun 15, 2001, 7:14:01 PM6/15/01
I have 2x VTL CR3A's from the early '90's(?) that seem very harsh....I'd part
with them.
Don't like my GrooveTubes 2A, am indifferent about my Sony C37A, am ok with the
Nuemann M-149 sometimes.

I Worship my '50's AKG C-12, Korby modded Telefunken U67, Manley Cardioid
Reference (with NOS Telefunken 12AT7), and pair of KM56's. Like the KM84's and
LOVE the white '60's 421's!
Like the 121 Royer on Guitars going digital, and the Best thing on the
overheads for both rooms is the Royer SF-12 stereo Ribbon.
Michael Fuller / Fulltone Musical Products Inc. / http://www.fulltone.com

Kiira Triea

Jun 15, 2001, 7:54:11 PM6/15/01
Analogeezer <jst...@usgs.gov> wrote:

: I've seen stuff like "what are your favorite 10 mics", "what mics would you buy

: if you could only spend $xxxx", "what would be your desert island mic", etc., I
: thought it might be fun to ask:

: WHAT IN YOUR MIC COLLECTION WOULD YOU REALLY LIKE TO GET RID OF?

I don't believe that any mic, once given a home, should ever be sold
unless one's children need food or internet connectivity.

Buying microphones is like gathering entropy, who knows what the
future may bring?

Ty Ford has told me that the Um900 Gefell is favored by Venusian
Gynecologists and while I decline business from all GYNs, Venusian or
otherwise, let's face it... what other mic will do when one of those
guys walks in your studio and demands to lay down "I did it my way"?

Also... when my only microphone was an sm57 I made the Big Leap
and bought a used CAD E200. Wow! Now I have some mics that really
sound better on my voice and I was considering selling the CAD
and I decided against it. Last weekend I met a drummer and she
brought her kick and snare to my house and nothing I owned
sounded as nice on the kick as the CAD.

I have a Shure Pl35 LoZ mic... nothing else works as well for
gospel street bands in North Philadelphia or crickets on the
outer banks of NC. I know this because this is the only mic I owned
when I played in gospel street bands in N. Philly and recorded
crickets off the back porch in N.C.

If I am abducted by extraterrestrials who knows
what mics I might need?

kiira - just trying to offer a different perspective on the eternal
microphone discussion

Jay Kahrs

Jun 15, 2001, 9:34:59 PM6/15/01
>I have 2x VTL CR3A's from the early '90's(?) that seem very harsh....I'd part
>with them.

Why not contact EveAnna and see if they can be worked on and modified? I know a
few people that like those mics and I've heard them described as thin but never
harsh.

Jim Maxon

Jun 15, 2001, 10:54:52 PM6/15/01
I would love to get rid of my AKG C3000 but then I would have to go out and buy a new
paper weight.
I did get rid of my Rode NT1 though. (Thank God)

Jim Maxon
I don't know what I am looking for but I am sure I haven't found it

Tom Paul

Jun 15, 2001, 11:18:29 PM6/15/01

> 2. One I SHOULD get rid of - SONY ECM-23F
>
> I don't know why I don't get rid of this thing, except that it's kind of cool
> looking in that late 1970's sort of way (I bought it in 1982). It's an
> electret condensor which to my dumbass in 1982 meant "good", powered by a
> 1.5 volts with an AA battery. Compared to a regular 48 volt condensor, it sounds
> about 1/32 as good (48 divided by 1.5).

I had an Audio Technica condensor mic that took this little weird
battery that cost about $10...the only other thing in the world that
used it was a Sears garage door operator. If you forget to turn it
off, you burned a 10 spot, which in 1980 was worth about, what, $25
now? I smoked a lot of pot in those days...so I couldn't afford the
upkeep. I think I still have one in a junk drawer. I knew nothing of
mics in those days but also owned an AKG D310 and found the condensor
sounded better on vocals. Golden ears, eh? There were no news groups
in those days, it was all trial and error! I bought a used 4 track
RTR, a used cheapo mixer, and went to the store and said, I want to
record stuff, sell me some microphones....Audio Innovators was the
store...any Pittsburghers here? Those were the mics they sold me.
Like Jay, I still have the D310 but use a '57 more often for those
sorts of things. It still looks cool!

Tom

Jay Kahrs

Jun 16, 2001, 1:00:32 AM6/16/01
>Like Jay, I still have the D310 but use a '57 more often for those
>sorts of things. It still looks cool!

Actually I found my D310 while cleaning out a music store that I used to work
at. It was marked "fucked" so they said I could take it home. After opening it
up I found a loose wire. Sometimes I use it on snare if I need a tighter
pattern then a 57. Sometimes I'll reach for it on guitar during basics if the
drummer has a lot of toms and the 57's are all being used. I might even buy
another one if I came across it at a reasonable price.

hollywood_steve

Jun 16, 2001, 4:26:32 AM6/16/01
I only have around a dozen mics currently and everyone is one of the
"standard" studio regulars. Except for an AKG D112, I can pretty much
guarantee that these will all be with me when I check out. The AKG
works fine, sounds good and will probably last forever, but I'm
already tired of it's appearance. (yeah, I know, big effen deal). I'm
fairly sure that I will trade it towards one of the old square AKG D12
varieties for no other reason than the old ones look cooler. I know
how lame this sounds, but my studio took a decided turn towards
"vintage" (old?) type gear and the big round egg just bothers me. The
only reason I still have it is because it will probably cost me $100
to trade up to one of the old square D series mics and I have 1/2
dozen other "must get now" pieces of gear that have to happen first.
But the D112 is a on borrowed time...

steve

Geoff Wood

Jun 16, 2001, 7:46:05 AM6/16/01
Why get rid of your RS PZM ? Give Rick Chinn a call and get some of his
phantom power direct-couped balanced preamp adaptor kits !

geoff

"Jay Kahrs" <brown...@aol.com> wrote in message

Geoff Wood

Jun 16, 2001, 7:48:47 AM6/16/01
Hey - I just got rid of two C-3000 (old vers) in favour of two Rode NT1000s,
and the whole upgrade only cost me $100 !

geoff

"Jim Maxon" <maxm...@earthlink.net> wrote in message

Jay Kahrs

Jun 16, 2001, 12:44:17 PM6/16/01
>Why get rid of your RS PZM ? Give Rick Chinn a call and get some of his
>phantom power direct-couped balanced preamp adaptor kits !

Oh yeah? Do you have contact info for Rick Chinn? I've never heard of him.

Jay Kahrs

Jun 16, 2001, 12:46:09 PM6/16/01
>Except for an AKG D112, I can pretty much
>guarantee that these will all be with me when I check out

The D112 isn't that bad on some things. Try it on floor tom, bass amps and
guitar cabs with either a 57 or 421. It's my secret weapon there.

Geoff Wood

Jun 16, 2001, 5:07:32 PM6/16/01
Well lots on rap seem to. Once worked at Tapco, evidently.

Try http://www.uneeda-audio.com/

He has done a cct board and can supply kits at very minor price.

geoff

"Jay Kahrs" <brown...@aol.com> wrote in message

Roger W. Norman

Jun 17, 2001, 4:19:04 AM6/17/01
Oh, he dicided to make them, huh? I've got the schematics from him on them.

--
Roger W. Norman
SirMusic Studio

"Geoff Wood" <ge...@paf.co.nz-nospam> wrote in message

Roger W. Norman

Jun 17, 2001, 4:20:22 AM6/17/01
He was a designer of the Mackie smaller mixers. Excellent resource and
probably has more file cabinets of schematics than even Scott Dorsey does.
Might be a toss-up there, though.

--
Roger W. Norman
SirMusic Studio
www.SirMusicStudio.com
Roger....@verizon.net
Ro...@SirMusicStudio.com
301-585-4681
www.mp3.com/buddywhite
www.mp3.com/thelivewireband
"guys, it takes a lifetime to just get just a BIT closer..."
George Massenburg

"Geoff Wood" <ge...@paf.co.nz-nospam> wrote in message

Geoff Wood

Jun 17, 2001, 5:56:39 PM6/17/01
Yep, finally ! Bit of a labour-of-love I guess (and a bit of friendy
'hassling') for which I for one am very appreciative. Haven't assemble my
pair yet, but if there is any improvement over my 9v mods, I will be very
pleased - and I can't imagine they won't be *much* better. Now I guess I be
lookoing for an 'improved' capsule next ...

Thanks Rick :>)

geoff

"Roger W. Norman" <rno...@compuserve.com> wrote in message