Google グループは Usenet の新規の投稿と購読のサポートを終了しました。過去のコンテンツは引き続き閲覧できます。

neumann u87 help

閲覧: 130 回
最初の未読メッセージにスキップ

al

未読、
1999/08/22 3:00:001999/08/22
To:
I have a chance to maybe get a U87 pretty "cheap" & was wondering if I
should, considering my mic pre is the Mackie 1604 VLZ PRO. Is this like
a diamond sitting on a turd? The music is mostly funky, hard rock.
Also, what is this "AI" model of U87? What are all the different models
of U87??? Any help is appreciated!

Thanks,
Alan LaFleur

--
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always
so

Lyle Caldwell

未読、
1999/08/22 3:00:001999/08/22
To:
While the U87 is actually a pretty good match for the Mackie Pro pres (yes,
I've tried it, and it sounds very good), unless you need the omni and fig 8
modes, there are better sounding cardioids that impress clients just as
much. Check out the Lawson and Neumann TLM103 before getting a U87.
Don't know about the "AI" bit, other than Fletcher doesn't seem to care for
that version.

--
Lyle Caldwell

Psionic Music
Composer, Producer, Arranger
cald...@bellsouth.net

"Gimme some money" - David St. Hubbins

al <laf...@NOSPAMM.nortelnetworks.com> wrote in message

al

未読、
1999/08/22 3:00:001999/08/22
To:
Hey thanks for the info Lyle!

I am attracted to the omni & fig 8 modes, mostly because none of my mics
currently can do those patterns, & I am itching to experiment with
them. Is my interest unfounded? Are these patterns of rare practical
use?

Lyle Caldwell wrote:

> While the U87 is actually a pretty good match for the Mackie Pro pres (yes,
> I've tried it, and it sounds very good), unless you need the omni and fig 8
> modes, there are better sounding cardioids that impress clients just as
> much. Check out the Lawson and Neumann TLM103 before getting a U87.
> Don't know about the "AI" bit, other than Fletcher doesn't seem to care for
> that version.
>
> --
> Lyle Caldwell

"the truth is simple, and it cuts
just like a knife, and it affects you"
-- Doug Pinnick

ark

未読、
1999/08/22 3:00:001999/08/22
To:
On Sun, 22 Aug 1999 12:40:49 -0500, "Lyle Caldwell"
<cald...@bellsouth.net> wrote:

>While the U87 is actually a pretty good match for the Mackie Pro pres (yes,
>I've tried it, and it sounds very good), unless you need the omni and fig 8
>modes, there are better sounding cardioids that impress clients just as
>much. Check out the Lawson and Neumann TLM103 before getting a U87.

Yeah but he said he was getting a deal on the U87... if it's a good
deal, go for it, you can easily sell the mic later if you don't like
it.

Al

Fletcher

未読、
1999/08/22 3:00:001999/08/22
To: Lyle Caldwell
Lyle Caldwell wrote:

Check out the Lawson and Neumann TLM103 before getting a U87.
> Don't know about the "AI" bit, other than Fletcher doesn't seem to care for
> that version.
>
> --
> Lyle Caldwell

Lyle- Where the fuck did you get that? I like the "Ai" just fine. It
sounds different from the original, but no less cool. It employs a
capsule similar to that of a U-67 and has "U-89" printed on the
amplifier PC board, which leads me to believe that it's a U-89
amplifier. It sounds faster and a bit brighter than the older ones, but
not an uncool sound at all.
--
Fletcher
Mercenary Audio

Lyle Caldwell

未読、
1999/08/22 3:00:001999/08/22
To:
Sorry, really thought you'd said they were too bright. Brain fart.

--
Lyle Caldwell

Psionic Music
Composer, Producer, Arranger
cald...@bellsouth.net

"Gimme some money" - David St. Hubbins

Fletcher <Flet...@mercenary.com> wrote in message

Lyle Caldwell

未読、
1999/08/22 3:00:001999/08/22
To:
I use omni and fig 8 a lot with the U87 I'm borrowing. Others seldom do.
All depends on what you want to hear.
That said, in cardioid mode, I've heard better mics than the U87. Without
knowing how much of a deal you're being offered, I can't say anything more
specific.
As far as new prices go, the Brauner would be a better choice than a U87
IMO, for not much more $$$.

--

> Hey thanks for the info Lyle!
>
> I am attracted to the omni & fig 8 modes, mostly because none of my mics
> currently can do those patterns, & I am itching to experiment with
> them. Is my interest unfounded? Are these patterns of rare practical
> use?
>

> Lyle Caldwell wrote:
> >
> > While the U87 is actually a pretty good match for the Mackie Pro pres
(yes,
> > I've tried it, and it sounds very good), unless you need the omni and
fig 8
> > modes, there are better sounding cardioids that impress clients just as

> > much. Check out the Lawson and Neumann TLM103 before getting a U87.

> > Don't know about the "AI" bit, other than Fletcher doesn't seem to care
for
> > that version.
> >
> > --
> > Lyle Caldwell

Fretwiz

未読、
1999/08/22 3:00:001999/08/22

----------
In article <Ct_v3.3759$587....@news4.mco>, "Lyle Caldwell"
<cald...@bellsouth.net> wrote:

> Sorry, really thought you'd said they were too bright. Brain fart.
>
> --
> Lyle Caldwell

Lyle, it may even be possible that the original poster would not think it
was too bright for HIM. No offense to anyone here, but it really depends on
what the guy hears, doesn't it? I think many people rely too much on the the
adjectives of others when assessing new gear, and not enough of their own
opinion in a given environment. How can you really know, I mean REALLY know
how a piece of gear will work FOR YOU unless you actually HEAR it being used
BY you? Point is, what one or a few guys might call bright, others may not.
Like I said, I don't mean to offend anyone, just reacting to what seems to
be a major trend in r.a.p. I respect Fletchers,(among others) opinion on
this NG immensely, but the one opinion I have to live with the most will
always be my own. THAT one, I leave entirely up to myself.

Trevor Zylstra

未読、
1999/08/22 3:00:001999/08/22
To:
al <laf...@NOSPAMM.nortelnetworks.com> wrote:

> I have a chance to maybe get a U87 pretty "cheap" & was wondering if I
> should, considering my mic pre is the Mackie 1604 VLZ PRO. Is this like
> a diamond sitting on a turd? The music is mostly funky, hard rock.
> Also, what is this "AI" model of U87? What are all the different models
> of U87??? Any help is appreciated!

If you have an opportunity to get a U87 cheap, and it there isn't
something horribly wrong with it, jump at the chance. While the VLZ
mic pres aren't my favorite, I don't see them as a good reason not to
buy a U87. And, even if some other recent-vintage large diaphragm
condensors may equal or better the U87 in some situations, there is
still something defining about the first Neumann large diaphragm
condensor that a studio buys.

The Ai model is the most recent model of U87 (unless they gave that
gold plated version a different model designation?). It boasts the
quietist self-noise of the U87s. Some people like the sound of the
older versions better, I prefer the Ai.

--
Trevor Zylstra
Chief Engineer

Lyle Caldwell

未読、
1999/08/22 3:00:001999/08/22
To:
You're absolutely right. I did, however, suggest he listen to a few other
mics before getting the U87. So I agree that he should trust his own ears.
To me, the U87 is vanilla. The finest vanilla, perhaps, but vanilla
nonetheless.
He may really like vanilla.
I'm holding out for Cherry Garcia... <g>

--
Lyle Caldwell

Psionic Music
Composer, Producer, Arranger
cald...@bellsouth.net

"Gimme some money" - David St. Hubbins

Fretwiz <fre...@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message

hank alrich

未読、
1999/08/22 3:00:001999/08/22
To:
Lyle Caldwell <cald...@bellsouth.net> wrote:

> As far as new prices go, the Brauner would be a better choice than a U87
> IMO, for not much more $$$

But he said he had a chance to get a used one at a reasonable price, so
I figure he's not looking to spend what a new mic of that caliber would
cost. IMO, he _should_ make sure that U87 doesn't need a new capsule,
though...

--
hank - secret mountain
Note: the rec.audio.pro FAQ is at http://recordist.com/rap-faq/current

Joav

未読、
1999/08/23 3:00:001999/08/23
To:
In article <37C032B9...@NOSPAMM.nortelnetworks.com>, al
<laf...@NOSPAMM.nortelnetworks.com> wrote:

> I have a chance to maybe get a U87 pretty "cheap" & was wondering if I

> Thanks,
> Alan LaFleur

GET IT. Its a good investment in audio.
The AI is an upgrade on the original U87. Its a good sounding mic - a
little brighter then the original version and a much faster reacting mic.
If I remember right, it has a different head capsule then the original U87,
but nevertheless a good sounding microphone.

Buy this and you can always replace your Mackie later.

--
Joav
Desert Island

kwin...@neumannusa.com

未読、
1999/08/23 3:00:001999/08/23

> GET IT. Its a good investment in audio.
> The AI is an upgrade on the original U87. Its a good sounding mic - a
> little brighter then the original version and a much faster reacting
mic.
> If I remember right, it has a different head capsule then the
original U87,
> but nevertheless a good sounding microphone.
>
> Buy this and you can always replace your Mackie later.

There is a lot of truth in what everyone is saying, but I thought I'd
clear up some of the minor misconceptions about the different U 87
versions:

1. The original U 87 (1967 to 1986) used a different capsule (K87) than
it's predecessor, the U 67 (K67). The two capsules are acoustically
identical but the two halves of the backplate of the K87 are
electrically insulated from each other. So, instead of the typical three
connections of a dual-diaphragm design, this one has four.

2. When the U 87Ai was introduced, the K67 was employed again, as there
was no advantage perceived with using the split backplate.

3. The circuit for the newer (and still current) U 87Ai uses a DC-DC
converter, which the original did not. This allows for higher internal
voltages to be stabilized from the 48v supply, which in turn allows for
better noise figures and more dynamic range. The U 87Ai gives 6 dB
lower noise and 10 dB more signal to noise than it's predecessor.

4. The "U 89" on the electronics of the U 87Ai refers to the use of the
DC-DC converter circuit, which is the same as that in the U 89i. The
amplifier circuits themselves, however, are different in the two mics.

5. The U 87 Gold is, in every way but the gold-plated finish, a U 87Ai.

Respectfully,

Karl Winkler
Neumann/USA

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

al

未読、
1999/08/23 3:00:001999/08/23
To:
wow! thanks for all the input everybody!!

Mike Rivers

未読、
1999/08/23 3:00:001999/08/23

> Lyle, it may even be possible that the original poster would not think it
> was too bright for HIM. No offense to anyone here, but it really depends on
> what the guy hears, doesn't it?

It also depends on the individual mic, too, assuming "the guy" can hear
that. My two U-87's sound different, though, honestly, I can't tell you
that the one with the dent in the case sounds warmer than the one
without the battery meter. I don't switch mics mid-session, and if the
singer comes in three months later to do an overdub, I figure that his
or her voice has changed more in that period of time than the mic has,
so I just pull one off the shelf, set it up, and touch up the EQ to
match the original track. No big deal.

A U-87 at what a buyer considers a good price is worth having, if for
no other reason than for customer satisfaction. It's like having a Neve
console, or a Studer recorder, only cheaper.

--
Mike Rivers (I'm really mri...@d-and-d.com)

Rick Novak

未読、
1999/08/23 3:00:001999/08/23
To:
I nominate the U-87 for the "Most Versatile" large diaphram condenser
mic that I know of. It sounds at least passable on every singer I've
tried it on over the past 20 years, good on most, and great on some.
Other LDC mics I've experienced sounded really horrible for certain
singers and sometimes great on others.
One thing to bear in mind is that most U-87s out there have really
junk, beat up, dirty diaphrams. Get the cheapest used one you can find
(around $1300), send it to Neumann for a new $600 diaphram and they'll
fix whatever else might be wrong with it gratis. (Is that still the
un-official policy, Karl?) It's amazing how good that new diaphram will
make it sound. Just like new guitar strings. Still the best sounding
"under $2K LDC mic" I know of, not to mention the "Vintage Neumann"
value. YMMV.
Cheers, Rick Novak.

Rick Novak

未読、
1999/08/23 3:00:001999/08/23
al wrote:

> wow! thanks for all the input everybody!!

Oh! Check out the U-87 for $1200 below at <piest...@earthlink.net>.
Good luck, R.N.

kwin...@neumannusa.com

未読、
1999/08/26 3:00:001999/08/26
To:
In article <37C1DBB6...@att.net>,

rick...@att.net wrote:
> Get the cheapest used one you can find
> (around $1300), send it to Neumann for a new $600 diaphragm and

> they'll fix whatever else might be wrong with it gratis. (Is that
> still the un-official policy, Karl?)

Actually, we don't have an "unofficial policy" of this sort. It's often
true that when a mic needs a new capsule, there is nothing else wrong
with it. In such a case, we include the cost of a good overall
cleaning, testing and calibration with the price of capsule replacement.

However, if there is something else wrong with the mic, the cost of
repair can vary greatly. We do our best to be as flexible as possible,
but some parts and certain procedures are expensive and we have to
charge for these repairs. Whenever a mic is sent to us, we always
provide a detailed estimate BEFORE the service is done, and the owner
then has the option to decline the work with only a minimum bench
charge.

But again, typically, the electro-acoustical parts (the capsule) are
usually the only thing wrong with an older mic. The U 87, during it's
30 year+ reign, has proven to be extremely reliable, especially in the
circuit area.

新着メール 0 件