More On MicroTrack 24/96

1 view

Len Moskowitz

Sep 26, 2005, 9:43:38 AM9/26/05

Yesterday I did some recording to 16/44.1 WAV files with the MicroTrack
24/96 and a 4 GB CF flash memory card at an outdoor music festival,
using the little "T" mic that's supplied with it. The recordings went
smoothly and the sound quality was acceptable considering the low
quality of microphone that was used. The mic pre-amp didn't overload
and there was no obvious hiss or distortion. It didn't lock up nor did
any firmware bugs rear their ugly heads.

I transferred the WAV files into Adobe Audition on my PC by removing the
card from the MicroTrack 24/96 and inserting it into a card reader on my
PC. I could have also used a USB 2.0 connection.

Here's a link to some short clips converted to mp3 format:

http://www.core-sound.com/MicroTrack-clip1.mp3
http://www.core-sound.com/MicroTrack-clip2.mp3
http://www.core-sound.com/MicroTrack-clip3.mp3

Core Sound http://www.core-sound.com
Teaneck, New Jersey USA Tel: 201-801-0812, FAX: 201-801-0912
mosk...@core-sound.com

Jonny Durango

Sep 26, 2005, 4:35:13 PM9/26/05
Len Moskowitz wrote:
> Yesterday I did some recording to 16/44.1 WAV files with the MicroTrack
> 24/96 and a 4 GB CF flash memory card at an outdoor music festival,
> using the little "T" mic that's supplied with it. The recordings went
> smoothly and the sound quality was acceptable considering the low
> quality of microphone that was used. The mic pre-amp didn't overload
> and there was no obvious hiss or distortion. It didn't lock up nor did
> any firmware bugs rear their ugly heads.
>
> I transferred the WAV files into Adobe Audition on my PC by removing the
> card from the MicroTrack 24/96 and inserting it into a card reader on my
> PC. I could have also used a USB 2.0 connection.
>
> Here's a link to some short clips converted to mp3 format:
>
> http://www.core-sound.com/MicroTrack-clip1.mp3
> http://www.core-sound.com/MicroTrack-clip2.mp3
> http://www.core-sound.com/MicroTrack-clip3.mp3

Other than the fact it seems a little muffled (which I'm guessing is due
to the crowd) I'd say it sounds just fine. I don't know how loud it was
in front of the stage, but I do know the built-in mic on the R1 has been
known to clip @ high SPL's....could this be an advantage for the MT?

Anyhow, thyanks a ton for posting these clips Len. If you get a chance
in the future, could you record some plain dialougue in a quiet room so
we can hear more of the dynamic range and self-noise? Either way, thanks
again!

--

Jonny Durango

www.jdurango.com

"If the key of C is the people's key, what is the key of the bourgeoisie?"

Jan Holm

Sep 26, 2005, 5:28:04 PM9/26/05
Jonny Durango wrote:
> Anyhow, thyanks a ton for posting these clips Len. If you get a chance
> in the future, could you record some plain dialougue in a quiet room
> so we can hear more of the dynamic range and self-noise? Either way,
> thanks again!

What he said. My MT is already in the mail, should actually
have recieved it last week. I'll do some tests and post here too.

Regards
Jan Holm

rde

Sep 27, 2005, 12:00:14 AM9/27/05

rde

Sep 27, 2005, 12:09:12 AM9/27/05
Hello Len,

I wanted to thank you for the information on the MicroTrack.
I've been researching this for a couple of days trying to make the
right decision.
I have friends who have the Edirol R1 and a mp3 recorder from iRiver,

Being musicians, we primarily use them to record rehearsals or our
gigs.
I've recently began podcasting but need something to record audo while
I'm touring and traveling.

I'm leaning towards the MT. I ran across a post on a forum that pointed
me to your discussion and your mp3 files. i then followed your link to
Core Sound. I noticed you're in Teaneck.
I live in Teaneck and I plan on coming by the store when I get back off
the road next week.
What a pleasant surprise :-)

Robin Eubanks

Mike Rivers

Sep 27, 2005, 7:57:01 AM9/27/05

rde wrote:

> I've been researching this for a couple of days trying to make the
> right decision.

A couple of days? Hell, I'll be researching it into the third
generation and I still won't be able to make a decision. <g>

> Being musicians, we primarily use them to record rehearsals or our
> gigs.

It's probably just fine for that application. You won't suffer too
badly if one time it doesn't work for you. If the user interface is
good (and you should try this in person) it will probably be a fairly
no-fuss process. The Edirol R1 isn't too bad, and for casual recording,
it's hard to beat the convenience of the built-in mics. Put it in the
right place (this will take some experience) and it will sound OK. The
mic that comes with the Micro Track is probably on the same order as
the Edirol mic, but it's external so it's not quite so neat a package.

Mark2112

Sep 27, 2005, 11:58:27 PM9/27/05
Where did you get your MT?

Jonny Durango

Sep 28, 2005, 3:08:16 PM9/28/05
Len is a dealer, he got it directly from M-Audio. Check out his website
www.core-sound.com

Jonny Durango

liverecording2004

Sep 29, 2005, 6:01:28 AM9/29/05
Hallo Len!

Thank you very much for the soundfiles you provided. Could you post
some files made with the MicroTrack and your own CS-mics. I think this
would interest many stealth-tapers where you couldn´t use the T-Mic (I
own both of your low-cost mics and I´m very pleased of their
stealthyness and soundquality - to my ears they seem to be much better
than the T-mic sound you posted) ...

Thank you.
Thomas

anybu...@hotmail.com

Oct 23, 2005, 11:13:41 AM10/23/05
I would love to "see" an A/B with the two: Edirol int mic vs MT with
t-mic. Can anyone acxcomplish this??

hans

Mike Rivers

Oct 23, 2005, 11:41:07 AM10/23/05

anybu...@hotmail.com wrote:
> I would love to "see" an A/B with the two: Edirol int mic vs MT with
> t-mic. Can anyone acxcomplish this??

Be glad to. Send me one of each.