JBL Northridge E90 versus Athena AS-F2

User

Oct 27, 2004, 4:04:46 AM10/27/04
Which is better, the JBL E90 or the Athena AS-F2? The Athena's got a
great review in Stereophile. The only speaker from JBL they have
reviewed is the S38, which also got a rave review, but they have
stopped making them.

One difference is the JBL E90 can be bi-wired.

I can't hardly find any epinions on the JBL's.

Tim Brown

Oct 27, 2004, 10:52:08 AM10/27/04
User <m...@email.com> wrote in message news:<5glun0t24isidict4...@4ax.com>...

> Which is better, the JBL E90 or the Athena AS-F2?

Get off your duff, go out and use your ears.

TB

S888Wheel

Oct 27, 2004, 12:29:38 PM10/27/04
>From: bro...@flash.net (Tim Brown)
>Date: 10/27/2004 7:52 AM Pacific Standard Time

Why the sudden change in philosophy?

Joseph Oberlander

Oct 27, 2004, 3:06:22 PM10/27/04

S888Wheel wrote:

Probably because these both are good but average-sounding
consumer-grade(tm) speakers. Like comparing Polk and Energy -
listen and if you like one, buy it. If neither sound great,
keep shopping.

Myself, I like Paradigm and Tannoy a bit more for budget
speakers, but they tend to run more money.

Q: what's your budget, room size, equipment, and intended
use/listening?

S888Wheel

Oct 27, 2004, 3:36:30 PM10/27/04
>From: Joseph Oberlander josephob...@earthlink.net
>Date: 10/27/2004 12:06 PM Pacific Standard Time
I'm Noy shopping. The Soundlab A3s are working out quite nicely. I might be
looking for more power though. I think my ARC D-115 may taxed a bit on loud
passages. It might also be fun to consider other subwoofers.

Tim Brown

Oct 27, 2004, 10:46:11 PM10/27/04
Joseph Oberlander <josephob...@earthlink.net> wrote in message news:<OkSfd.4149$kM....@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net>...

> S888Wheel wrote:
>
> >>From: bro...@flash.net (Tim Brown)
> >>Date: 10/27/2004 7:52 AM Pacific Standard Time
> >>
> >>User <m...@email.com> wrote in message

> >>Get off your duff, go out and use your ears.
> >>
> >>TB
> >

> > Why the sudden change in philosophy?

Change in philosophy??

Wheel doesn't know my philosophy from Adam. A lame assumption. One
reason I don't read his noise except in quotes. Thank gawd for
killfiles.

The ear is the final judge of speakers and microphones.

TB

S888Wheel

Oct 27, 2004, 10:59:14 PM10/27/04
>From: bro...@flash.net (Tim Brown)
>Date: 10/27/2004 7:46 PM Pacific Standard Time

>Joseph Oberlander <josephob...@earthlink.net> wrote in message

>> > Why the sudden change in philosophy?
>>

>Change in philosophy??
>
>Wheel doesn't know my philosophy from Adam.

Naw, you're as transparent as the rest of them.

A lame assumption.

It's not an assumption dork. You are clearly from the everything sounds alike
don't trust your ears camp.

One
>reason I don't read his noise except in quotes. Thank gawd for
>killfiles.

Truth hurts don't it. Maybe you should skip my quotes as well. You won't have
to get all worked up.

>The ear is the final judge of speakers and microphones.

Just be sure to use pink noise instead of music and measure things thouroughly
before listening so you know what your opinion ought to be.

User

Oct 27, 2004, 11:18:19 PM10/27/04

i heard the athenas and I liked the AS-F1 more than the AS-F2 as I a
b'd them at a store. I'll have to try again though.

I doubt the JBL are much different, but they seem better built to me.
The JBL cabinets look nicer, you get a choice of colors, black, beech
or cherry. The AS-F2 are only grey. The JBL can be bi-wired I
think the crossover circuit is higher quality than what Athena uses.

Joseph Oberlander

Oct 28, 2004, 4:17:00 AM10/28/04

User wrote:

> i heard the athenas and I liked the AS-F1 more than the AS-F2 as I a
> b'd them at a store. I'll have to try again though.
>
> I doubt the JBL are much different, but they seem better built to me.
> The JBL cabinets look nicer, you get a choice of colors, black, beech
> or cherry. The AS-F2 are only grey. The JBL can be bi-wired I
> think the crossover circuit is higher quality than what Athena uses.

The JLB look nicer, but these aren't erally good speakers.
The Athena S/P series is their better line and is worlds better
that the JBLs. I'd take a set of S3s over the F2 towers, because
with a sub added, these turn into speakers that give most $2000
setups a run for their money. Note - the F1 and S3 have the same
response, yet the 3 way S3 is a better sounding speaker AND
it fits on a bookshelf.

Tim Brown

Oct 28, 2004, 10:10:20 AM10/28/04
s888...@aol.com (S888Wheel) wrote in message news:<20041027225914...@mb-m04.aol.com>...

> >From: bro...@flash.net (Tim Brown)
> >Date: 10/27/2004 7:46 PM Pacific Standard Time
> >

> >Change in philosophy??
> >
> >Wheel doesn't know my philosophy from Adam.
>
> Naw, you're as transparent as the rest of them.
>
> A lame assumption.
>
> It's not an assumption dork. You are clearly from the everything sounds alike
> don't trust your ears camp.

Show where I said anything to that effect. Prove it or shut the fu©k
up!

> One
> >reason I don't read his noise except in quotes. Thank gawd for
> >killfiles.
>
> Truth hurts don't it. Maybe you should skip my quotes as well. You won't have
> to get all worked up.

Well, I'm worked up now. I'm here to show the RAO community what a
phoney you are. And after this post the filter goes back on.

> >The ear is the final judge of speakers and microphones.
> >

> Just be sure to use pink noise instead of music and measure things thouroughly
> before listening so you know what your opinion ought to be.

Show where I said anything to that effect. Prove it or shut the fu©k
up!

TB

George M. Middius

Oct 28, 2004, 10:16:35 AM10/28/04

The Stain said:

> > It's not an assumption dork. You are clearly from the everything sounds alike
> > don't trust your ears camp.

> Show where I said anything to that effect. Prove it or shut the fu©k
> up!

You're a Kroopologist. That tells us all we need to know.

User

Oct 28, 2004, 11:05:47 AM10/28/04

>The JLB look nicer, but these aren't really good speakers

Ain't it the truth...but the AS-F2 are definitely good.

The S3 didn't test very well here:

http://www.hometheatermag.com/loudspeakers/18/index1.html

"On-axis response of the S3 measures +2.1/-1.6 decibels from 200 Hz to
10 kilohertz. The -3dB point is at 50 Hz, and the -6dB point is at 44
Hz. Impedance reaches a minimum of 3.74 ohms at 106 Hz and a phase
angle of -77.29 degrees at 44 Hz. Sensitivity is 88 dB from 500 Hz to
2 kHz"

The manufacturer claims -3 db at 40hz which seems unlikely.

I can't find the S3 for sale anywhere on the net.

Joseph Oberlander

Oct 28, 2004, 1:43:37 PM10/28/04

User wrote:

>>The JLB look nicer, but these aren't really good speakers
>
> Ain't it the truth...but the AS-F2 are definitely good.
>
> The S3 didn't test very well here:
>
> http://www.hometheatermag.com/loudspeakers/18/index1.html
>
> "On-axis response of the S3 measures +2.1/-1.6 decibels from 200 Hz to
> 10 kilohertz. The -3dB point is at 50 Hz, and the -6dB point is at 44
> Hz. Impedance reaches a minimum of 3.74 ohms at 106 Hz and a phase
> angle of -77.29 degrees at 44 Hz. Sensitivity is 88 dB from 500 Hz to
> 2 kHz"
>
> The manufacturer claims -3 db at 40hz which seems unlikely.

True, like most manufacturers, they also inflate their specs
a bit(or have a better setup to test in, versus real-world
results)

Take Klipsch. Most of their speakers actually test at
several db efficiency lower than they market. A speaker
that actually does 90db is pretty hard to find.

Still, this isn't bad compared to most others in the
same price-range.

> I can't find the S3 for sale anywhere on the net.

This is only available via their retail network(audio
store, not retail store). Listen to the S3 and their
subwoofer working together if you can. It's amazing
because they have built-in electronics in the sub that
basically turn it into a passive woofer as far as the
crossover is concerned(seamless integration with a flip
of a switch). But it still is a powered sub.

For HT, this is amazingly better than a 5.0+sub as
the speakers do the filtering and corssover instead
of your receiver.

The only other speaker that was like this was, no surprize,
the Mirage FRx-9 - it had a powered integrated subwoofer
in the tower and was amazing for the price. Basically a
non-modular Athena S3/P3 for a bit less money.

But - what's the budget? For around $1000, Tannoy's older
Saturns are the deal to get. Some old stock models still
exist. The S6 tower is amazing. In Bookshelf speakers, the
S6/S8 bookshelf speaker is very good as well. But $800-$1200
is a bit much to spend for most people.

At more reasonable prices, the Tannoy MXm are much better
than the Athena or JBLs. But they aren't close to the
Saturns(Eyris DC I think they're called now)

Or you can go old-school like I did and get some JBL-Pro
monitors. The 4400 series are really convnetional speakers
more than true nearfield monitors. Mine are about ten
years old with the old(modified by me)crossover. The new
"A" models have a better crossover that needs no tweaking.
www.musiciansfriend.com - type in "jbl 44" in the search box.

A pair of 4410As is a fine setup, and they have them on sale
right now. If you want to listen to them, call JBL and ask
where the local distributor is - it will likely be a studio
equipment shop. The specs on JBLs pages are actual real-world
testing, which is common for most monitors. YWSIWYG. No
marketing nonsense.

User

Oct 28, 2004, 11:14:06 PM10/28/04

This evening I came upon a pair of IMF Electronics 'Super Compact II"
speakers. They were $30 in very good condition. I didn't buy them
but I brought them to the home of a friend of mine who wanted them, an
80 year man that has I would reckon, 3 or 4 TONS worth of speakers and
audio equipment in his house. He just buys stuff and stores it, sort
of like a Collyer. I think it's called DISPOSOPHOBIA. At least in
his case it's not worthless stuff like newspapers.

Anyway... because I'm familiar with them, I noted in his museum a pair
of old JBL monitors, 3 ways, the size of the 4410's. I don't
remember the model number but the woofer cones were white. They must
be from the early 80's. My friend is not a lender or giver, but he'd
sell me anything. Gosh, would you actually recommend old JBL monitors
like these I am speaking of?

Looking up those Super Compact II's they seem very fine there is a
complete website about them. Apparently they are ruler flat from 60hz
to well over 20,000hz. I could have them if I wanted...one problem is
they are terribly inefficient, 83db (1 watt 1 meter) I saw somewhere.

Thanks I didn't know about Tannoy home speakers actually.

You know a lot of people rave about Midiman BX5 and BX8.

George M. Middius

Oct 28, 2004, 11:21:16 PM10/28/04

User Shelleyed:

> Anyway... because I'm familiar with them, I noted in his museum a pair
> of old JBL monitors, 3 ways, the size of the 4410's. I don't
> remember the model number but the woofer cones were white. They must
> be from the early 80's. My friend is not a lender or giver, but he'd
> sell me anything. Gosh, would you actually recommend old JBL monitors
> like these I am speaking of?

I'd recommend you learn some Usenettiquette and quit top-posting.

S888Wheel

Oct 29, 2004, 1:46:10 AM10/29/04
>From: bro...@flash.net (Tim Brown)
>Date: 10/28/2004 7:10 AM Pacific Standard Time

>s888...@aol.com (S888Wheel) wrote in message
>> >From: bro...@flash.net (Tim Brown)
>> >Date: 10/27/2004 7:46 PM Pacific Standard Time
>> >

>> >Change in philosophy??
>> >
>> >Wheel doesn't know my philosophy from Adam.
>>
>> Naw, you're as transparent as the rest of them.
>>
>> A lame assumption.
>>
>> It's not an assumption dork. You are clearly from the everything sounds
>alike
>> don't trust your ears camp.
>
>Show where I said anything to that effect. Prove it or shut the fu©k
>up!

You said you had me on killfile. Now you respond directly to my post. Aren't
you full of shit? Don't get so wound up dork you'll blow a fuse.

>> One
>> >reason I don't read his noise except in quotes. Thank gawd for
>> >killfiles.
>>
>> Truth hurts don't it. Maybe you should skip my quotes as well. You won't
>have
>> to get all worked up.
>
>Well, I'm worked up now.

Yep, you sure are. LOL

I'm here to show the RAO community what a
>phoney you are.

You might want to look for more meaning in your life.

And after this post the filter goes back on.

Cough (bullshit)

>> >The ear is the final judge of speakers and microphones.
>> >

>> Just be sure to use pink noise instead of music and measure things
>thouroughly
>> before listening so you know what your opinion ought to be.
>
>Show where I said anything to that effect. Prove it or shut the fu©k
>up!

You even model your posting style after Krueger and Ferstler. Have you bought
his book yet? Learn to think for yourself for a change.

Joseph Oberlander

Oct 29, 2004, 3:05:18 AM10/29/04

User wrote:

> This evening I came upon a pair of IMF Electronics 'Super Compact II"
> speakers. They were $30 in very good condition. I didn't buy them
> but I brought them to the home of a friend of mine who wanted them, an
> 80 year man that has I would reckon, 3 or 4 TONS worth of speakers and
> audio equipment in his house. He just buys stuff and stores it, sort
> of like a Collyer. I think it's called DISPOSOPHOBIA. At least in
> his case it's not worthless stuff like newspapers.
>
> Anyway... because I'm familiar with them, I noted in his museum a pair
> of old JBL monitors, 3 ways, the size of the 4410's. I don't
> remember the model number but the woofer cones were white. They must
> be from the early 80's. My friend is not a lender or giver, but he'd
> sell me anything. Gosh, would you actually recommend old JBL monitors
> like these I am speaking of?

It depends on their condition and what specific model. The foam
surrounds and caps need to be replaced as well if it's over ten
years old. Also, the original terminals and crossover(s) were
pathetic due to a kludged potentiometer instead of a hard-wired
setup. The "A" models have thankfully fixed that.

But, yes, if you like rock and jazz and pop, these were
what most of the 70's and 80's U.S. bands mixed on. They
also do well for Classical if you turn down the treble
about 1-2 clicks on the amp.

User

Oct 29, 2004, 7:19:41 AM10/29/04
On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 07:05:18 GMT, Joseph Oberlander
<josephob...@earthlink.net> wrote:

>It depends on their condition and what specific model. The foam
>surrounds and caps need to be replaced as well if it's over ten
>years old. Also, the original terminals and crossover(s) were
>pathetic due to a kludged potentiometer instead of a hard-wired
>setup. The "A" models have thankfully fixed that.

Oh yes, it had the potentiometer which was curiously unlabled.
Surrounds were ok.