TV Tonight, Thursday, 11 May

Michael Nist

May 11, 1995, 3:00:00 AM5/11/95
The complete version of TV Tonight -- including a full prime time broadcast
and cable schedule -- is posted daily, by appx. 9.00 am Pacific time/noon
Eastern time, on the WWW, at http://metaverse.com/vibe/tv.html.The full
listings are also available via e-mail "robot." Send a blank e-mail to
tv2...@infomania.com to receive the current day's listings. Note that this is
not a mailing list -- you need to send the request out every day.

We're still working on getting our listserver fixed -- we'll make an
announcement here when we get all the bugs out. In the meantime, we'll post
daily highlights here on rec.arts.tv.

Mike Nist, Editor

----------

Prime-Time TV for Thursday, 11 May 1995
(plus late-night shows)

This evening's SOTTO (Summarization of
Tonight's Television Offerings) Rating: ***1/2

-----

Broadcast highlights (all times Eastern/Pacific,
except where noted; please adjust for Central/
Mountain zones):

Quentin Tarantino directed tonight's "E.R.," and
was merciful enough not to star in it. Q.T. pulls
off several directorial stunts (watch for an
unbroken -- and eventful -- two-minute shot), and
elevates a good series to greatness, at least for
one night. Valerie Perrine guest stars.
(NBC, 10.00)

Dan Rather and the "48 Hours" team tackle the new
wave of immigration, and whether it's ruining
America. Actually, I always thought Dan Rather was
an alien -- and from a lot further away than
Pakistan. (CBS, 10.00)

Eric Stoltz (last seen chomping on cow poo in "Rob
Roy") returns to "Mad About You." This episode, in
which cartoonist Stoltz bases a comic book
supervillain on his ex-girlfriend Jamie, ends with
a memorable animated segment. (NBC, 8.00)

Kramer fights a chimp, George says the "L" word,
and Elaine's got a new, hockey-obsessed boyfriend
on "Seinfeld." (NBC, 9.00)

And the bread pops out of Susan's oven on
"Friends" -- but not before a final argument with
Ross. (NBC, 9.30)

"Before They Were Stars" may as well be titled
"Unfortunate High School Haircuts of the Rich and
Famous." Maybe you can resist these shows, but not
me (especially with Karen Duffy hosting).
Tonight's victims include Robert Redford, Sharon
Stone, Nicolas Cage and Rob Lowe. (ABC, 8.00)

Cable highlights:

In "Truly Madly Deeply," Alan Rickman gets
greased, but comes back as a ghost to comfort his
wife (Juliet Stevenson). Intelligent and
entertaining, if fairly slight. (BRV, 9.00)

After the success of the tearjerker "Beaches,"
Bette Midler tried to make lightning strike twice
with "Stella." This film is actually better than
its predecessor, but was overlooked in the
marketplace. So if you liked the former, tune in
the latter. (USA, 9.00)

Sports highlights:

NBA Playoffs - Second Round:
New York Knicks at Indiana Pacers, Game 3
(TNT, 8.00 ET, 5.00 PT)
Houston Rockets at Phoenix Suns, Game 2
(TNT, 10.30 ET, 7.30 PT)

NHL Playoffs - Quarterfinals:
Chicago Blackhawks at Toronto Maple Leafs, Game 3
(ESPN, 7.30 ET, 4.30 PT)
Detroit Red Wings at Dallas Stars, Game 3
(ESPN2, 8.00 ET, 5.00 PT)
St. Louis Blues at Vancouver Canucks, Game 3
(ESPN2, 10.30 ET, 7.30 PT)

Major League Baseball:
Atlanta Braves at New York Mets
(TBS, 7.35 ET, 4.35 PT)

Scheduled Late Night Talk Show Guests
(thanks to Aaron Barnhart and Sue Trowbridge):

Carrot Top, Julianna Margulies, Tom Arnold
(Politically Incorrect w/Bill Maher, COM/11.00)

Hugh Grant, Dionne Farris (Letterman, CBS/11.35)

Samuel L. Jackson, Vendela, Garth Brooks
(Leno, NBC/11.35)

Peter Ustinov, Robert McNamara (Snyder, CBS/12.37)

Kennedy (the VJ), Faith No More
(O'Brien, NBC/12.35)

Duran Duran (Kinnear, NBC/1:30 a.m.)

L.L. Cool J., Adina Howard (Stewart, synd.)

Malik Yoba (Rose, PBS)

-----

Copyright 1995 by Michael Nist.
All rights reserved.