"Jack & Bobby" pilot online

David

Jun 13, 2004, 10:12:31 AM6/13/04
Am I being paranoid or has it always mainly been Warner Brothers
pilots getting leaked to the internet? I'm starting to get the feeling
they're using us for feedback.

Ian J. Ball

Jun 13, 2004, 1:45:40 PM6/13/04
In article <40cc6077...@news.individual.net>,
diml...@yahoo.com (David) wrote:

Or they've got a big-time mole in their organization.

No matter - I have no interest in this pilot...

--
Ian J. Ball | "I think things are even worse now after
TV lover, and | the awful... fish sex."

Jim

Jun 13, 2004, 7:49:10 PM6/13/04
"Ian J. Ball" <ijball***SPAM-No***@mac.com.invalid> wrote in
news02.socal.rr.com:

> Or they've got a big-time mole in their organization.

Caroline is the Mole.

Jim

Milhouse Van Houten

Jun 25, 2004, 8:35:01 PM6/25/04
"David" <diml...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> Am I being paranoid or has it always mainly been Warner Brothers
> pilots getting leaked to the internet? I'm starting to get the feeling
> they're using us for feedback.

Finally got around to watching this, and it's quite an interesting concept
done well. I didn't know a thing about it (other than that it wasn't about
the Kennedy's), and by the end I felt confident it must be a WB show, since
somehow it felt like a cousin of Everwood. Turns out that people from
Everwood, Dawson, and Smallville are all involved with its creation, and it
is, of course, a WB show.

Ubiquitous

Jun 29, 2004, 7:33:58 AM6/29/04
Milhouse Van Houten <bt...@myrealbox.com> wrote:

: Finally got around to watching this, and it's quite an interesting concept

: done well. I didn't know a thing about it (other than that it wasn't about
: the Kennedy's), and by the end I felt confident it must be a WB show, since
: somehow it felt like a cousin of Everwood. Turns out that people from
: Everwood, Dawson, and Smallville are all involved with its creation, and it
: is, of course, a WB show.

What the hell is that show sppsd to be about?
They keep dropping they anvilicious hints about it being JFK and Robert
but the time period in which it is set is wrong.

David

Jun 29, 2004, 8:03:36 AM6/29/04

It's like "Smallville" but with JFK

Message has been deleted

Ian J. Ball

Jun 29, 2004, 3:31:12 PM6/29/04
>From: shawn sh...@spamcop.net
>

>But without the super powers.

And without the "hottie chyx".

Ian (IOW, what's the point?!?!!)

--
Ian J. Ball | http://homepage.mac.com/IJBall/TV.html
IJB...@aol.com |

Cynic

Jun 29, 2004, 5:49:49 PM6/29/04
diml...@yahoo.com (David) wrote in message news:<40e15a7f...@news.individual.net>...

The show's an abomination. It's about two brothers growing up through
the present time, one of whom is destined to become a U.S. president
in 2040. What kind of an idea is that for a show? Is that stupid or
what? If we're watching them grow up in this time, the show will have
to be on for the next 36 years before the relevance of the outcome
becomes apparent. Sure, they can skip years along the way, maybe each
season will compress a 12-year period so that by the start of the
fourth season, which will take place in 2040, we find out who the new
Kennedy-esque president will be, and then what? Another "West Wing"?
Who thinks of this dumb stuff? Worse yet, what rationale did WB use to
think that this show can even work?

David Johnston

Jun 29, 2004, 6:03:09 PM6/29/04
On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 11:33:58 +0000 (UTC), web...@polaris.net
(Ubiquitous) wrote:

>Milhouse Van Houten <bt...@myrealbox.com> wrote:
>
>: Finally got around to watching this, and it's quite an interesting concept
>: done well. I didn't know a thing about it (other than that it wasn't about
>: the Kennedy's), and by the end I felt confident it must be a WB show, since
>: somehow it felt like a cousin of Everwood. Turns out that people from
>: Everwood, Dawson, and Smallville are all involved with its creation, and it
>: is, of course, a WB show.
>
>What the hell is that show sppsd to be about?

It's supposed to be about a boy destined to be President and his
brother.

>They keep dropping they anvilicious hints about it being JFK and Robert
>but the time period in which it is set is wrong.

That's because it isn't JFK. It's just a boy called Jack who will be
President who is slightly reminiscent of JFK.

David Johnston

Jun 29, 2004, 6:03:38 PM6/29/04
On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 15:01:34 GMT, shawn <sh...@spamcop.net> wrote:

>>It's like "Smallville" but with JFK

>But without the super powers.

JFK had super powers?

David Johnston

Jun 29, 2004, 6:06:09 PM6/29/04
On 29 Jun 2004 14:49:49 -0700, Cy...@pulp-fiction.com (Cynic) wrote:

>diml...@yahoo.com (David) wrote in message news:<40e15a7f...@news.individual.net>...
>> On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 11:33:58 +0000 (UTC), web...@polaris.net
>> (Ubiquitous) wrote:
>>
>> >Milhouse Van Houten <bt...@myrealbox.com> wrote:
>> >
>> >: Finally got around to watching this, and it's quite an interesting concept
>> >: done well. I didn't know a thing about it (other than that it wasn't about
>> >: the Kennedy's), and by the end I felt confident it must be a WB show, since
>> >: somehow it felt like a cousin of Everwood. Turns out that people from
>> >: Everwood, Dawson, and Smallville are all involved with its creation, and it
>> >: is, of course, a WB show.
>> >
>> >What the hell is that show sppsd to be about?
>> >They keep dropping they anvilicious hints about it being JFK and Robert
>> >but the time period in which it is set is wrong.
>>
>> It's like "Smallville" but with JFK
>
>The show's an abomination. It's about two brothers growing up through
>the present time, one of whom is destined to become a U.S. president
>in 2040. What kind of an idea is that for a show? Is that stupid or
>what? If we're watching them grow up in this time, the show will have
>to be on for the next 36 years before the relevance of the outcome
>becomes apparent.

You think that storytelling can never flash back or forward?

David

Jun 29, 2004, 6:23:23 PM6/29/04

Which, from what I've read, is what they're going to do. They'll show
the President making a tough decision and then flash back to his teen
years to see what events inspired his decision.

Ian J. Ball

Jun 29, 2004, 9:29:28 PM6/29/04
In article <40e1eb89...@news.individual.net>,
diml...@yahoo.com (David) wrote:

It really sounds like cloying treacle to me.

David Johnston

Jun 29, 2004, 10:35:12 PM6/29/04
On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 01:29:28 GMT, "Ian J. Ball"
<ijball***SPAM-No***@mac.com.invalid> wrote:

>> >You think that storytelling can never flash back or forward?
>>
>> Which, from what I've read, is what they're going to do. They'll show
>> the President making a tough decision and then flash back to his teen
>> years to see what events inspired his decision.
>
>It really sounds like cloying treacle to me.

Probably.

David B.

Jun 30, 2004, 12:04:05 AM6/30/04

Yeah. Getting and nailing hot chicks.

Doug Mehus

Jun 30, 2004, 1:38:35 PM6/30/04
"Ian J. Ball" <ijball***SPAM-No***@mac.com.invalid> wrote in message news:<ijball***SPAM-No***-515BE4.182...@orngca-news04.socal.rr.com>...

> It really sounds like cloying treacle to me.

<--- It sounds like one of the lamest show ideas. I'll never watch it.
Is it just me or is "The WB" grasping at straws? "The Mountain" sounds
like it has potential, but this one and that Drew Carey show sound
just awful.

Thank goodness "The WB" is not available in Canada, except on the top,
most expensive digital cable tier. So, it's audience in Canada would
be very small -- probably not more than 10 to 20 thousand per episode.

For those curious, I've finalized what shows I'll be watching in the
fall. I don't believe I've posted it yet. (I'll post it as part of
this reply but will also create a separate thread at a later date.)

* Denotes new series.

MONDAY

8:00 Still Standing [CBS]
8:30 LISTEN UP [CBS]
9:00 Everybody Loves Raymond [CBS]
9:30 Two and a Half Men [CBS]
10:00 LAX [NBC]

TUESDAY

8:00 Navy NCIS [CBS]
9:00 THE CLUBHOUSE [CBS]
10:00 Judging Amy [CBS]

WEDNESDAY

8:00 LOST [ABC]
9:00 The King of Queens [CBS]
9:30 CENTER OF THE UNIVERSE [CBS]
10:00 CSI: NY [CBS]

THURSDAY

8:00 Survivor [CBS]
9:00 LIFE AS WE KNOW IT [ABC]
10:00 [NOTHING]

FRIDAY

8:00 Joan of Arcadia [CBS]
9:00 JAG [CBS]
10:00 DR. VEGAS [CBS]

SATURDAY

8:00 The Amazing Race [CBS]
9:00 [NOTHING]
10:00 [NOTHING]

SUNDAY

8:00 Extreme Makeover: Home Edition [ABC]
9:00 CBS Sunday Movie
<OR> 9:00 [NOTHING]
10:00 The Practice: Fleet Street [ABC]

I may have to abandon plans to watch the second season of "The
Apprentice" as CBS has moved "Amazing Race" to Saturdays at 8 PM, when
"Apprentice" airs. It also runs on Thursdays at 9 PM but that
conflicts too. So, it may have to be a casualty.

Cheers,
Doug

WQ

Jun 30, 2004, 7:14:11 PM6/30/04
dme...@netster.com (Doug Mehus) wrote in message news:<cc130e48.04063...@posting.google.com>...

> "Ian J. Ball" <ijball***SPAM-No***@mac.com.invalid> wrote in message news:<ijball***SPAM-No***-515BE4.182...@orngca-news04.socal.rr.com>...
> > It really sounds like cloying treacle to me.
>
> For those curious, I've finalized what shows I'll be watching in the
> fall. I don't believe I've posted it yet. (I'll post it as part of
> this reply but will also create a separate thread at a later date.)
>
> * Denotes new series.
>
> MONDAY
>
> 8:00 Still Standing [CBS]
> 8:30 LISTEN UP [CBS]
> 9:00 Everybody Loves Raymond [CBS]
> 9:30 Two and a Half Men [CBS]
> 10:00 LAX [NBC]

--- "Listen Up" will get my attention with the pilot, but if it
stinks, I'll be deaf to it the rest of the time it's on. "LAX" would
seem to be a bit different but I have horrific flashbacks to what it
might be reduced to: an airport version of "Hotel."

> TUESDAY
>
> 8:00 Navy NCIS [CBS]
> 9:00 THE CLUBHOUSE [CBS]
> 10:00 Judging Amy [CBS]

--- I don't get what's with this "Clubhouse" show and why it's even
coming on. Who's the audience for it? Never mind that it's also such
an ill-looking fit between the other two.

> WEDNESDAY
>
> 8:00 LOST [ABC]
> 9:00 The King of Queens [CBS]
> 9:30 CENTER OF THE UNIVERSE [CBS]
> 10:00 CSI: NY [CBS]

--- I'm skeptical about "Lost," if only because I've seen how Abrams
beat "Alias" to mind-numbing death. "Center of the Universe" looks
too vague for me at this point to really be excited about, let alone
include on a viewing list. And the CSI franchise is beginning to wear
out its welcome for me now, so I'm not so sure "CSI: NY" will work any
wonders.

> THURSDAY
>
> 8:00 Survivor [CBS]
> 9:00 LIFE AS WE KNOW IT [ABC]
> 10:00 [NOTHING]

--- "Life As We Know It" can only work if it'll be on a par with "My
So-Called Life," otherwise it's creatively dead. It'll be dead after
a few weeks anyway seeing as what it's up against.

> FRIDAY
>
> 8:00 Joan of Arcadia [CBS]
> 9:00 JAG [CBS]
> 10:00 DR. VEGAS [CBS]

--- "Dr. Vegas" is a joke. And not a funny one at that.

> SATURDAY
>
> 8:00 The Amazing Race [CBS]
> 9:00 [NOTHING]
> 10:00 [NOTHING]

--- Nothing is right for the whole night.

> SUNDAY
>
> 8:00 Extreme Makeover: Home Edition [ABC]
> 9:00 CBS Sunday Movie
> <OR> 9:00 [NOTHING]
> 10:00 The Practice: Fleet Street [ABC]

--- And about the only new show that stands a chance of being a
creative and ratings success is the one you don't have listed for
Sunday: "Desperate Housewives." Don't expect me over at your place to
watch some tube should my set break down.

This likely viewing list of yours is alarming. I can't believe that
anybody today can actually sit through 3 consecutive hours of TV
almost every night and think that they're actually watching something
of value. I can barely find 3 hours of good TV in a week.

> I may have to abandon plans to watch the second season of "The
> Apprentice" as CBS has moved "Amazing Race" to Saturdays at 8 PM, when
> "Apprentice" airs. It also runs on Thursdays at 9 PM but that
> conflicts too. So, it may have to be a casualty.

--- A VCR should solve that problem. You must be one of those rare
ones who still doesn't have one, or is a bit clued out as to how to
use one? Anyway, this likely viewing list of yours is alarming. I
can't believe that anybody today can actually sit through 3
consecutive hours of TV almost every night and think that they're
actually watching something of value. There's barely 3 hours of good
TV in the course of a week.

Ubiquitous

Sep 14, 2004, 9:50:50 AM9/14/04

JFK had superhero powers?

ISLAM: Winning the hearts and minds of the world, one bomb at a time.

EGTea

Sep 20, 2004, 12:22:11 PM9/20/04

"Ubiquitous" <web...@polaris.net> wrote in message

> In article <40e15a7f...@news.individual.net>, diml...@yahoo.com
wrote:
> >On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 11:33:58 +0000 (UTC), web...@polaris.net
> >(Ubiquitous) wrote:
>
> >>What the hell is that show sppsd to be about?
> >>They keep dropping they anvilicious hints about it being JFK and Robert
> >>but the time period in which it is set is wrong.
> >
> >It's like "Smallville" but with JFK
>
> JFK had superhero powers?

On the ridiculous assumption that the question was sincere:

"Jack & Bobby" is a contemporary drama about a fiercelly independent single
mother and her two sons. The older son, Jack, is a high school
upperclassman, a natural athlete, a born leader and ladies' man. His brother
Bobby has just entered the big high school, is small, asthmatic, shy. Bobby
is also desperate to belong. despite being every inch the nerd you'd expect
from a wheezer who's mom won't let him watch TV and makes him carry a
briefcase to school. But he but has a fierceness and tenacity that belies
his weaknesses.

One of the boys is destined to be elected the U.S. president in 2040.
Interwoven with scenes set in the present day are segments of an "A&E
Biography"-style oral-history documentary from 2050, in which members of the
president's inner circle reminisce about the man the boy will be.

Message has been deleted

Corwin2

Sep 20, 2004, 1:06:18 PM9/20/04
>"EGTea" EG...@spamless.com
>Date: 9/20/2004 12:22 PM Eastern Daylight Time

>"Ubiquitous" <web...@polaris.net> wrote in message
>> In article <40e15a7f...@news.individual.net>, diml...@yahoo.com
>wrote:

>> >It's like "Smallville" but with JFK
>>
>> JFK had superhero powers?
>>

>On the ridiculous assumption that the question was sincere:
>
>"Jack & Bobby" is a contemporary drama about a fiercelly independent single

but severely mentally disturbed

>mother and her two sons. The older son, Jack, is a high school
>upperclassman, a natural athlete, a born leader and ladies' man.

Despite all odds he has turned out reasonably well adjusted.

>His brother
>Bobby has just entered the big high school, is small, asthmatic, shy. Bobby
>is also desperate to belong. despite being every inch the nerd you'd expect
>from a wheezer who's mom won't let him watch TV and makes him carry a
>briefcase to school.

His brother's attempts to help him fit in have been thwarted by his clingy
neurotic, almost psychotic mother.

>But he but has a fierceness and tenacity that belies
>his weaknesses.

His pathetical attempts to gain friends draw the pity of a pretty girl the
older brother is interested in. After the younger brother despically
implicates the innocent older brother in a crime, his mother becomes a
little less clingy and the older brother takes him under his wing
instead of giving him the well earned thrashing he deserves.

Christopher

Sep 20, 2004, 1:18:51 PM9/20/04
>And it's annoying as hell.

I LOVE IT.

Jonathan Roberts

Sep 20, 2004, 1:34:30 PM9/20/04
Corwin2 wrote:

> His brother's attempts to help him fit in have been thwarted by his clingy
> neurotic, almost psychotic mother.

Y'know, I've liked a lot of Ms. Lahti's work in the past, but this is
just over the top. Last night's midnight speech was also just too much
-- after all the wind-up to it we got a lot of platitudes. Junk.

--
Jonathan Roberts * guitar, keyboards, vocals * North River Preservation
To reach me reverse: moc(dot)xobop(at)ggestran

Christopher

Sep 20, 2004, 1:38:37 PM9/20/04
>From: Jonathan Roberts No...@NotMe.complex

>Y'know, I've liked a lot of Ms. Lahti's work in the past, but this is
>just over the top.

You must have missed Chicago Hope if you think this is over the top.

>Last night's midnight speech was also just too much
>-- after all the wind-up to it we got a lot of platitudes. Junk.

Hey, she didn't write it. But, you're right--it was painful to listen to. *How*
did the writer not get sent back to his room to write that speech over?

Message has been deleted

la vraie coquille

Sep 20, 2004, 6:02:52 PM9/20/04
>>And it's annoying as hell.

Anything with Jessica Pare in it has to be good, AFAIAC.

-Shell

"No signature right now"

Christopher

Sep 20, 2004, 6:09:52 PM9/20/04
>realsh...@aol.compostheap (la vraie coquille)

>Anything with Jessica Pare in it has to be good, AFAIAC.
>
>-Shell

WHat has she been in?

la vraie coquille

Sep 20, 2004, 6:21:33 PM9/20/04
>What has she (Jessica Pare) been in ?

Have a look here - http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0664175/

The movie "Lost and Delirious" is quite good, if you ask me.

Jonathan Roberts

Sep 21, 2004, 1:16:18 AM9/21/04
Brandy Alexandrewrote:

> I was thinking the same thing. She said a whole lot of nothing
> coup0led with an idiotic "you will fail" that didn't resolve to
> anything remotely poingant. Definitely not worthy of the resounding
> applause the extras were supposed to give afterward.

We of course know that inspiring writing and speeches are rare. But they
didn't even seem to be trying.

(Reminds me slightly of some of the music in <Grace of My Heart> -- I
quite like the film but the music that's supposed to be so amazing, made
by Matt Dillon's character, is just pathetic. [Yeah, I know it's done by
J. Mascis -- it just doesn't do it for me. The character is supposed to
be a Brian Wilson sort, but Wilson as a young man had a gorgeous
falsetto. Mascis has a grating falsetto. It doesn't work.])

Jonathan Roberts

Sep 21, 2004, 1:17:41 AM9/21/04
Christopher wrote:

> You must have missed Chicago Hope if you think this is over the top.

I did, actually. Watched it one time and thought it was preposterous.
(Saw an episode where they cut some fellow in half to get his cancer
out.)

Christopher

Sep 21, 2004, 8:19:11 AM9/21/04
>From: Jonathan Roberts No...@NotMe.complex

>(Reminds me slightly of some of the music in <Grace of My Heart> -- I
>quite like the film but the music that's supposed to be so amazing, made
>by Matt Dillon's character, is just pathetic. [Yeah, I know it's done by
>J. Mascis -- it just doesn't do it for me. The character is supposed to
>be a Brian Wilson sort, but Wilson as a young man had a gorgeous
>falsetto. Mascis has a grating falsetto. It doesn't work.])

But I liked the movie. Illeana Douglas and Matt Dillon are two of my favorite
actors, and I *loved* Grace's hit song, "God Give Me Strength." I wonder
whether Grace in Jack & Bobby has ever seen "Grace of My Heart."

Oh, and if you like Brian Wilson, know that he's releasing SMILE on or around
the 27th. I'm going to see him in Oct.

Christopher

Sep 21, 2004, 8:20:16 AM9/21/04
>From: Jonathan Roberts No...@NotMe.complex

>Christopher wrote:
>
>> You must have missed Chicago Hope if you think this is over the top.
>
>I did, actually. Watched it one time and thought it was preposterous.
>(Saw an episode where they cut some fellow in half to get his cancer
>out.)

Well, Christine Lahti in J&B is all subtlety and subtext in comparison.

EGTea

Sep 21, 2004, 1:00:32 PM9/21/04

"Brandy Alexandre" <bra...@kamikaze.orgy> wrote in message
> Jonathan Roberts <No...@NotMe.complex> wrote in rec.arts.tv:

> > Y'know, I've liked a lot of Ms. Lahti's work in the past, but this
> > is just over the top. Last night's midnight speech was also just
> > too much -- after all the wind-up to it we got a lot of
> > platitudes. Junk.
>
> I was thinking the same thing. She said a whole lot of nothing
> coup0led with an idiotic "you will fail" that didn't resolve to
> anything remotely poingant. Definitely not worthy of the resounding
> applause the extras were supposed to give afterward.
>
> --
> Brandy AlexandreĊ½
> http://www.swydm.com/?refer=BrandyAlx
> Well, would you?

I haven't decided if it was a mistake to make Lahti's character a pothead.
Just saw the second epiosode and for the second episode in a row, the boys'
academic and political futures were put in jeopardy by their mother's use of
marijuana. And the Kerry-Edwards planning session! A college professor may
have been able to pass a joint around with her students in her home -- and
keep her job -- in the 1970s, but not today.
It's good to be tenured, I guess.

Rick

Sep 21, 2004, 11:37:13 PM9/21/04

"Christopher" <farr...@cs.com> wrote in message

And they say there's bad acting in porn but this is almost as bad.

RTJoby

Sep 22, 2004, 2:38:13 PM9/22/04
>> You must have missed Chicago Hope if you think this is over the top. <

>I did, actually. Watched it one time and thought it was preposterous.
>(Saw an episode where they cut some fellow in half to get his cancer
>out.)

Oh, my favorite one was of her riding in a jet as a passenger then suddenly a
man goes into a spastic attack & she just so happens to be the only doctor on
board has to surgery on the man cutting him open right there on the plane. The
plane's personnel forbids it then she throws in...

"Look I'm a (such & such type doctor mastering in this & that). Unless you
want this man to die on your flight, you'll get out of my way."

Of course, the airline feeling threatened obliges, she saves the mans life &
everyone claps.

One of the 2 episodes I ever saw, & the other was only for the guest star
involved.

jayembee

Sep 22, 2004, 6:37:43 PM9/22/04
Jonathan Roberts <No...@NotMe.complex> wrote:

> Y'know, I've liked a lot of Ms. Lahti's work in the past,
> but this is just over the top. Last night's midnight speech
> was also just too much -- after all the wind-up to it we
> got a lot of platitudes. Junk.

What makes you think it's Lahti being over the top, and not
that her character was designed to be that way?

She's *not* supposed to be a sympathetic figure.

-- jayembee

Jonathan Roberts

Sep 23, 2004, 1:52:38 AM9/23/04

Christopher wrote:

> But I liked the movie. Illeana Douglas and Matt Dillon are two of my favorite
> actors, and I *loved* Grace's hit song, "God Give Me Strength."

I also like it, though there are aspects which prove it's a completely
different universe from ours -- in the film's version of the '60s
there's actually a TV show which gives serious coverage to pop music!

The film is also a neat bit of to-the-point writing: they needed songs
for specific purposes, and got folks to write songs which not only fit
the bill, but are mostly really good songs as well.

"God Give Me Strength" is excellent, though I prefer NOT to hear Elvis
Costello sing it. <g> It's an illustration of his skill that he can
write something he can't sing well -- most singer/songwriters can't
separate themselves from their own vocal ranges. I also prefer the
piano/voice version heard in the film, and as for "Boat on the Sea" --
well, I'm a sucker for strings.

(My DVD of the film though has a pitch glitch at the start of "Boat on
the Sea." Am I alone or is this an overall mastering defect?)

Christopher

Sep 23, 2004, 10:00:20 AM9/23/04
>From: Jonathan Roberts No...@NotMe.complex

>"God Give Me Strength" is excellent, though I prefer NOT to hear Elvis
>Costello sing it. <g> It's an illustration of his skill that he can
>write something he can't sing well -- most singer/songwriters can't
>separate themselves from their own vocal ranges. I also prefer the
>piano/voice version heard in the film, and as for "Boat on the Sea" --
>well, I'm a sucker for strings.
>
>(My DVD of the film though has a pitch glitch at the start of "Boat on
>the Sea." Am I alone or is this an overall mastering defect?)

I've only ever seen GOMH on TV, i.e., no DVD here.

I thought Burt Bachrach wrote "God Give Me Strength." Is that part of his Elvis
collaboration?

As for Elvis Costello, he almost *always* sings his own songs less well than
others do. Case in point: I love Linda Ronstadt's version of "Allison," Elvis'
version, not so well. Ditto all her other EC covers. And that's just one
artist.

Then there's Elvis interpreting others. Elvis and some opera singer do a
ruinous version of "You Still Believe in Me" from PET SOUNDS (speaking of Brian
Wilson) , in which Elvis sees fit to mutter non-stop over the opera singer's
AH-AH-AH-AH-AH AH-AH-AH-AH-AH line, completely ruining what is supposed to be
the most beautiful bit of acapella singing in all of pop music. Unforgiveable.
I got rid of it so I could never hear that version of the song again. It's
something you don't want to commit to memory AT ALL.

Elvis Costello: overall, one of the so-called greats I've never quite "gotten."

Jonathan Roberts

Sep 23, 2004, 5:24:34 PM9/23/04
Christopher wrote:

> I thought Burt Bachrach wrote "God Give Me Strength." Is that part of his
> Elvis collaboration?

It was, I think, the first song they did together and led to the others.
While I'd expect that more of the music was Bacharach's -- certainly
much of the harmonic motion is quite characteristic of the man's work --
and more of the lyrics Costello's, it's a trick to write lyrics without
having at least some input into the melody.

The version they perform together is, I think, somewhat "overstuffed"
from the arrangement standpoint. I prefer the sparser version in the
film, not to mention Ms. Vigaard's (sp?) vocal over Costello's.
Unfortunately on the film soundtrack you get Mr. C.