"Pie and chips"???!!

Ken from Chicago

May 27, 2006, 8:06:28 AM5/27/06
Lift = elevator
Rubber = eraser
Flat = apartment
Lorry = truck
Bonnet = hood (of a car)
Boot = trunk (of a car)
Crisps = chips
Chips = fries
Biscuit = cookie (or cracker)
Waistcoast = vest
Vest = t-shirt
Knickers = underwear
Tube = subway
Telly = television (or tv)
Advert = ad (or commercial)

But what on spinning Earth does the British gecko mean in those tv
commercials when saying that insurance quotes are as popular as "pie and
chips"?!

I have some fondness of British culture, accents and language, and while
I've heard of British cuisine as being, um, let us say ... exotic ... I've
never heard of "pie AND chips" as some kind of meal, desert or side dish.

Unless, does "pie" mean something different in English than it does in
American?

I mean I've enjoyed a Big Mac, fries and apple pie from McDonalds but I
never thought of the "fries and pie" as its own entity. "Burger and fries",
sure, like "ham and eggs" or "eggs and grits" or "toast and coffee", but
"pie and chips"?

-- Anglophile Ken from Chicago

ann_...@yahoo.com

May 27, 2006, 8:11:26 AM5/27/06
ken wrote:
But what on spinning Earth does the British gecko mean in those tv
commercials when saying that insurance quotes are as popular as "pie
and
chips"?!

I think the little gecko is referring to something like shepherd's pie
(yumm) or kidney pie (blech).

Ken from Chicago

May 27, 2006, 8:30:45 AM5/27/06

<ann_...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Pie from sheep? with fries?

30-odd years of DOCTOR WHO, MONTY PYTHON, BENNY HILL, THE TWO RONNIES,
DANGER MOUSE, HITCHHIKER'S GUIDE TO THE GALAXY, Masterpiece Theater, HOUSE
OF CARDS, Sherlock Holmes, A TALE OF TWO CITIES, Robin Hood, ABOUT A BOY,
LOVE ACTUALLY, Bridget Jones, NOTTING HILL, COLD COMFORT FARM, James Bond,
THE PRISONER, THE SAINT, William Tell and Shakespeare and not a blooming
inkling about this fabled pie and chips.

-- Ken from Chicago

suzee

May 27, 2006, 9:00:10 AM5/27/06
Ken from Chicago wrote:
> <ann_...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> ken wrote:
>> But what on spinning Earth does the British gecko mean in those tv
>> commercials when saying that insurance quotes are as popular as "pie
>> and
>> chips"?!
>>
>> I think the little gecko is referring to something like shepherd's pie
>> (yumm) or kidney pie (blech).
>>

> Pie from sheep?

No, shepherd's pie is a common dish to use up leftovers. Meat, topped
with mashed potatoes and baked until the potatoes are browned.

sue

Ms.B Haven

May 27, 2006, 9:37:36 AM5/27/06
On 27 May 2006 05:11:26 -0700, "ann_...@yahoo.com"
<ann_...@yahoo.com> wrote:

Exactly. Think more along the lines of "chicken pot pie" instead of
"apple pie".

David Brewer

May 27, 2006, 9:49:03 AM5/27/06
Ken from Chicago wrote:
[...]

> But what on spinning Earth does the British gecko mean in those tv
> commercials when saying that insurance quotes are as popular as "pie and
> chips"?!

http://www.pukkapies.co.uk/product_range.htm

http://www.answers.com/topic/who-ate-all-the-pies

Fish and chips was once more of a seaside foodstuff, fresh fish
being dearer inland (and deep fried fish and potato was somewhat
of an exotic foreign import). The true English fast food is pie
and mash, with peas and gravy. The ubiquitous potato chip has
infiltrated subsequently. Pie and chips, chips and mushy peas, or
just chips and gravy are common meals/snacks from an English
takeaway. In the wider fast food market, none of these sell as
well as "CTM": Chicken Tikka Masalla.

--
David Brewer

Mark Nobles

May 27, 2006, 11:07:38 AM5/27/06
suzee <suz...@imbris.com> wrote:

sounds good, but wouldn't the chips be redundant?

Ken from Chicago

May 27, 2006, 11:09:57 AM5/27/06

"suzee" <suz...@imbris.com> wrote in message

Oh, meat and potatoes. Sounds good.

So what's with the chips if you have potatoes in the pie?

-- Ken from Chicago

Ken from Chicago

May 27, 2006, 11:10:12 AM5/27/06

"Mark Nobles" <cmn-n...@houston.rr.com> wrote in message

GMTA!

-- Ken from Chicago

Ken from Chicago

May 27, 2006, 11:11:03 AM5/27/06

"Ms.B Haven" <uh...@noway.com> wrote in message

Okay, that makes sense. Tho you'd think there'd be more pop cultural
references if it's a popular meal.

-- Ken from Chicago

Obveeus

May 27, 2006, 11:12:27 AM5/27/06

Mark Nobles wrote:

> suzee <suz...@imbris.com> wrote:
>> No, shepherd's pie is a common dish to use up leftovers. Meat, topped
>> with mashed potatoes and baked until the potatoes are browned.
>
>sounds good, but wouldn't the chips be redundant?

Nope...the 'chips' are the side dish of french fries.

Of course, none of this would be an issue if they would just learn to speak
English. ;-)

Ken from Chicago

May 27, 2006, 11:13:18 AM5/27/06

"David Brewer" <david...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message

> Ken from Chicago wrote:
> [...]
>> But what on spinning Earth does the British gecko mean in those tv
>> commercials when saying that insurance quotes are as popular as "pie and
>> chips"?!
>

> http://www.pukkapies.co.uk/product_range.htm
>
> http://www.answers.com/topic/who-ate-all-the-pies
>
> Fish and chips was once more of a seaside foodstuff, fresh fish

Yeah, I first of fish and chips in the 70s with Arthur Treacher's(?) Fish
and Chips chain of fast food restaurants here in Chicago. But not pie and
chips.

> being dearer inland (and deep fried fish and potato was somewhat of an
> exotic foreign import). The true English fast food is pie and mash, with
> peas and gravy. The ubiquitous potato chip has infiltrated subsequently.
> Pie and chips, chips and mushy peas, or just chips and gravy are common
> meals/snacks from an English takeaway. In the wider fast food market, none
> of these sell as well as "CTM": Chicken Tikka Masalla.
>
> --
> David Brewer

Takeaway = carry-out.

-- Ken from Chicago

suzee

May 27, 2006, 12:03:47 PM5/27/06
Ken from Chicago wrote:
> "suzee" <suz...@imbris.com> wrote:

>> Ken from Chicago wrote:

>>> Pie from sheep?
>>
>> No, shepherd's pie is a common dish to use up leftovers. Meat, topped with
>> mashed potatoes and baked until the potatoes are browned.
>>
>> sue
>
> Oh, meat and potatoes. Sounds good.
>
> So what's with the chips if you have potatoes in the pie?

Sounds like the reference wasn't for both at the same meal, but just to
popularity of the foods. (Read the first quote again)

sue

suzee

May 27, 2006, 12:04:52 PM5/27/06

It is in England....

sue

Message has been deleted

Justin Pate

May 27, 2006, 12:53:36 PM5/27/06
I interpret it as Cow Pies and Buffalo Chips.

Patrick Joseph Mc Namara

May 27, 2006, 1:10:30 PM5/27/06

"Ken from Chicago" <kwicker1...@comcast.net> wrote in message

It might be a reference to the way the potatoes are cut; in slices rather
than mashed as for most shepard's pies.

Neill Massello

May 27, 2006, 1:17:13 PM5/27/06
ann_...@yahoo.com <ann_...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I think the little gecko is referring to something like shepherd's pie
> (yumm) or kidney pie (blech).

I guess they picked "pie and chips" because "bangers and mash" would
have some rather unfortunate connotations in a commercial about car
insurance.

IMHO, GEICO's Cockney gecko is an advertising coup -- the only reason to
watch commercials.

David

May 27, 2006, 1:12:43 PM5/27/06

I think he jumped the shark around the time he started comparing
visiting a car insurance website to getting into an exclusive club.

Mark Nobles

May 27, 2006, 2:33:52 PM5/27/06
Obveeus <Obv...@aol.com> wrote:

> Mark Nobles wrote:
> > suzee <suz...@imbris.com> wrote:
> >> No, shepherd's pie is a common dish to use up leftovers. Meat, topped
> >> with mashed potatoes and baked until the potatoes are browned.
> >
> >sounds good, but wouldn't the chips be redundant?
>
> Nope...the 'chips' are the side dish of french fries.

Right. And you don't think mashed potatoes and french fries are
redundant?

Mark Nobles

May 27, 2006, 2:36:03 PM5/27/06
Neill Massello <mass...@newsguy.com> wrote:

So it's like you watch him thinking you are getting entertainment, but
what you're really getting is a commercial? Brilliant!

ANIM8Rfsk

May 27, 2006, 2:54:48 PM5/27/06
in article 94lg72tnkkkpi6ogg...@4ax.com, Ms.B Haven at
uh...@noway.com wrote on 5/27/06 6:37 AM:

> On 27 May 2006 05:11:26 -0700, "ann_...@yahoo.com"
> <ann_...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> ken wrote:
>> But what on spinning Earth does the British gecko mean in those tv
>> commercials when saying that insurance quotes are as popular as "pie
>> and
>> chips"?!
>>
>> I think the little gecko is referring to something like shepherd's pie
>> (yumm) or kidney pie (blech).
>
> Exactly. Think more along the lines of "chicken pot pie" instead of
> "apple pie".

And are the chip what we in the USA call 'french fries'?

So he's really saying 'who would turn down free chicken pot pie and fries?'?

Obveeus

May 27, 2006, 3:06:31 PM5/27/06

Mark Nobles wrote:

>Obveeus <Obv...@aol.com> wrote:
>> Nope...the 'chips' are the side dish of french fries.
>
>Right. And you don't think mashed potatoes and french fries are
>redundant?

They have a totally different look/feel/taste. Do you consider cooked
carrots, raw carrot slivers in a salad, and carrot cake to be redundant?

Obveeus

May 27, 2006, 3:10:42 PM5/27/06

Mark Nobles wrote:
>So it's like you watch him thinking you are getting entertainment, but
>what you're really getting is a commercial? Brilliant!

The sad part is, the commercials are more entertainng than a lot of the
shows these days.

Obveeus

May 27, 2006, 3:13:39 PM5/27/06

ANIM8Rfsk wrote:
>So he's really saying 'who would turn down free chicken pot pie and
fries?'?

As another poster pointed out, the pie/chips don't *have* to mean at the
same meal. In that case, 'pie' could even mean something like 'apple pie'.

When was the last time you went out to eat and turned down the free side of
fries that came with your sandwich/burger? When was the last time you went
to someone's house and turned down the offer for a slice of pie after
dinner?

The Gecko has a good point.

Message has been deleted

suzee

May 27, 2006, 3:27:14 PM5/27/06
shawn wrote:
> Except that the pie that I've seen (which may not be the norm) was
> much thicker than a chicken pot. So much so that it was designed to be
> eaten like a sandwich.

Maybe like a pasty?

sue

David Johnston

May 27, 2006, 4:00:40 PM5/27/06
On 27 May 2006 21:06:31 +0200, "Obveeus" <Obv...@aol.com> wrote:

>Mark Nobles wrote:
>>Obveeus <Obv...@aol.com> wrote:
>>> Nope...the 'chips' are the side dish of french fries.
>>
>>Right. And you don't think mashed potatoes and french fries are
>>redundant?
>
>They have a totally different look/feel/taste. Do you consider cooked
>carrots, raw carrot slivers in a salad, and carrot cake to be redundant?

I'd be wondering whether the cook had a bumper crop in her garden.

Mark Nobles

May 27, 2006, 4:01:31 PM5/27/06
Obveeus <Obv...@aol.com> wrote:

> Mark Nobles wrote:
> >Obveeus <Obv...@aol.com> wrote:
> >> Nope...the 'chips' are the side dish of french fries.
> >
> >Right. And you don't think mashed potatoes and french fries are
> >redundant?
>
> They have a totally different look/feel/taste. Do you consider cooked
> carrots, raw carrot slivers in a salad, and carrot cake to be redundant?

completely unrelated. in the salad and cake, the carrot is a flavoring,
not the center of the meal like the potato in the shepherd pie is. If I
went to eat Chinese, I would consider steamed rice and fried rice
redundant, despite the difference in look, feel, taste and
presentation.

Mark Nobles

May 27, 2006, 4:02:27 PM5/27/06
Obveeus <Obv...@aol.com> wrote:

> Mark Nobles wrote:
> >So it's like you watch him thinking you are getting entertainment, but
> >what you're really getting is a commercial? Brilliant!
>
> The sad part is, the commercials are more entertainng than a lot of the
> shows these days.

Yep. But that's been true ever since beer was invented.

Mark Nobles

May 27, 2006, 4:04:15 PM5/27/06
suzee <suz...@imbris.com> wrote:

Ow! You made my brain hurt. Who would want to eat something that had
been stuck to a dancer's nipple?

Ken from Chicago

May 27, 2006, 4:25:18 PM5/27/06

"Justin Pate" <JP5...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

>I interpret it as Cow Pies and Buffalo Chips.

Eeeeewwwww!

-- Ken from Chicago

Ken from Chicago

May 27, 2006, 4:26:40 PM5/27/06

"Neill Massello" <mass...@newsguy.com> wrote in message

> ann_...@yahoo.com <ann_...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> I think the little gecko is referring to something like shepherd's pie
>> (yumm) or kidney pie (blech).
>
> I guess they picked "pie and chips" because "bangers and mash" would
> have some rather unfortunate connotations in a commercial about car
> insurance.

Bangers and mash = eggs and hash browns (thank you, Seinfeld)

> IMHO, GEICO's Cockney gecko is an advertising coup -- the only reason to
> watch commercials.

Kinda like the Taco Bell dog or the Snapple lady, Wendy.

-- Ken from Chicago

Ken from Chicago

May 27, 2006, 4:28:55 PM5/27/06

"Mark Nobles" <cmn-n...@houston.rr.com> wrote in message

I hate the taste of beer but the best tv commercials seem to be beer ads,
from the Budweiser thoroughbred jingle (lala lala la la la la la, when you
said Bud you said it all), to those animated Bud Bowls.

-- Ken from Chicago

Neill Massello

May 27, 2006, 4:10:32 PM5/27/06
Obveeus <Obv...@aol.com> wrote:

> As another poster pointed out, the pie/chips don't *have* to mean at the
> same meal. In that case, 'pie' could even mean something like 'apple pie'.

Or it could mean the irrational number pi, as Dan Brown postulates in
his forthcoming book, The Gecko Code. But now we're going around in
circles.

Ken from Chicago

May 27, 2006, 4:31:24 PM5/27/06

"Patrick Joseph Mc Namara" <writer...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Ah, okay. Wait, British chips are not like thin American fries but more like
big American gourmet fries?

-- Ken from Chicago (who remembers that episode of THE COSBY SHOW where he
took the kids to a fancy restaurant and they wanted burgers and fries and
they were weirded out by gourmet burger and big french fries)

Ken from Chicago

May 27, 2006, 4:32:32 PM5/27/06

"Obveeus" <Obv...@aol.com> wrote in message news:4478a...@x-privat.org...

> Mark Nobles wrote:
>>Obveeus <Obv...@aol.com> wrote:
>>> Nope...the 'chips' are the side dish of french fries.
>>
>>Right. And you don't think mashed potatoes and french fries are
>>redundant?
>
> They have a totally different look/feel/taste. Do you consider cooked
> carrots, raw carrot slivers in a salad, and carrot cake to be redundant?

Touche.

-- Ken from Chicago

Ken from Chicago

May 27, 2006, 4:34:27 PM5/27/06

"shawn" <nanof...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> On Sat, 27 May 2006 11:54:48 -0700, ANIM8Rfsk <ANIM...@cox.net>
> wrote:
>
> Except that the pie that I've seen (which may not be the norm) was
> much thicker than a chicken pot. So much so that it was designed to be
> eaten like a sandwich.

Wow. Now I'm getting hungry for this shepard's pie.

-- Ken from Chicago

Ken from Chicago

May 27, 2006, 4:35:53 PM5/27/06

"Mark Nobles" <cmn-n...@houston.rr.com> wrote in message

People who buy edible bras.

-- Ken from Chicago (who is grateful once again for his rare ability to
SUPPRESS visualization)

Obveeus

May 27, 2006, 4:40:19 PM5/27/06

Mark Nobles wrote:
>If I went to eat Chinese, I would consider steamed rice and fried rice
>redundant, despite the difference in look, feel, taste and presentation.

Fried rice is a side dish. Steamed rice is what you put the meat/veggies on
top of. Not redundant at all.

Mark Nobles

May 27, 2006, 4:54:03 PM5/27/06
Neill Massello <mass...@newsguy.com> wrote:

Careful. You are coming awfully close to a pun. That is as much
appreciated around here as a mime.

Mark Nobles

May 27, 2006, 4:55:57 PM5/27/06

http://englishculture.allinfoabout.com/recipes/bang-mash.html

> > IMHO, GEICO's Cockney gecko is an advertising coup -- the only reason to
> > watch commercials.
>
> Kinda like the Taco Bell dog or the Snapple lady, Wendy.

Where's the beef?

Message has been deleted

Obveeus

May 27, 2006, 5:05:11 PM5/27/06

Oh, I get it...because Apple pies are usually round. I missed the joke at
first since the last apple pie I ate was from McD's...and it was
rectangular...and calling it an apple pie was also a joke.

Obveeus

May 27, 2006, 5:07:21 PM5/27/06

Mark Nobles wrote:

>Ken from Chicago wrote:
>> Kinda like the Taco Bell dog or the Snapple lady, Wendy.
>
>Where's the beef?

How about that old lady that threw the tire through the Discount Tire window
because she wasn't completely satisfied? That commercial must have the
record for longest running.

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Obveeus

May 27, 2006, 5:19:53 PM5/27/06

shawn wrote:
>Poor Wendy. Still hasn't managed to get her weight down even after
>appearing on the VH1 celebrity weight loss show.

She even went on the weightloss show twice...just to eek below 300Lbs, as I
recall.

ANIM8Rfsk

May 27, 2006, 5:22:04 PM5/27/06
in article 270520061504151192%cmn-n...@houston.rr.com, Mark Nobles at
cmn-n...@houston.rr.com wrote on 5/27/06 1:04 PM:

um

me?

Message has been deleted

Ken from Chicago

May 27, 2006, 5:47:38 PM5/27/06

"Obveeus" <Obv...@aol.com> wrote in message news:4478b...@x-privat.org...

In Chicago there's like this tie between the Menard's guy, Empire Carpet
guy, Stanley Garage guy, and the Eagle(?) auto towing guy (the one where the
guy pulls the car door open and it falls off) and Smythe (Brothers)
Furniture. Smith Homemakers just went out of business.

If you've been in Chicago 5-10 years, you have seen all of them.

-- Ken from Chicago

P.S. Altho the one commercial presence that dominates Chicago offscreen are
the Eric & Kathy billboards and CTA bus posters. If you're in the
Chicagoland area, those two are inescapable. Altho I think someone screwed
up with latest black and white and a highlight color ones. They should have
stayed with the color billboards.

karl

May 27, 2006, 6:00:59 PM5/27/06

"Patrick Joseph Mc Namara" <writer...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> "Ken from Chicago" <kwicker1...@comcast.net> wrote in message

>> So what's with the chips if you have potatoes in the pie?

> It might be a reference to the way the potatoes are cut; in slices rather

> than mashed as for most Shepard's pies.

The OP didn't specify Shepherds Pie. That was merely suggested by another.
The other types of meat pies, with pastry crusts, would go with 'chips'.

Don't Americans have 'fish & chips'?

karl

May 27, 2006, 6:04:23 PM5/27/06

> I hate the taste of beer but the best tv commercials seem to be beer ads,
> from the Budweiser thoroughbred jingle (lala lala la la la la la, when you
> said Bud you said it all), to those animated Bud Bowls.

Canadian beer ads [sadly all the brewers are now part of transnat brewers]
were the most effective heritage program ever, putting government programs
to shame:

The Joe Canadian Rant.
The Spontaneous Street Hockey Game in T.O.

Among many.

Captain Infinity

May 27, 2006, 6:13:27 PM5/27/06
Once Upon A Time Ken from Chicago wrote:

>Lift = elevator
>Rubber = eraser
>Flat = apartment
>Lorry = truck
>Bonnet = hood (of a car)
>Boot = trunk (of a car)
>Crisps = chips
>Chips = fries
>Biscuit = cookie (or cracker)
>Waistcoast = vest
>Vest = t-shirt
>Knickers = underwear
>Tube = subway
>Telly = television (or tv)
>Advert = ad (or commercial)

>But what on spinning Earth does the British gecko mean in those tv
>commercials when saying that insurance quotes are as popular as "pie and
>chips"?!
>

>I have some fondness of British culture, accents and language, and while
>I've heard of British cuisine as being, um, let us say ... exotic ... I've
>never heard of "pie AND chips" as some kind of meal, desert or side dish.
>
>Unless, does "pie" mean something different in English than it does in
>American?
>
>I mean I've enjoyed a Big Mac, fries and apple pie from McDonalds but I
>never thought of the "fries and pie" as its own entity. "Burger and fries",
>sure, like "ham and eggs" or "eggs and grits" or "toast and coffee", but
>"pie and chips"?

Nice rant. But you want to know what *I* want to know? Why does McAfee
security compare themselves to "a monkey with a sledge hammer"?

A monkey with a sledge hammer? Is this what people are looking for in
their internet security? It's just stupid! A monkey with a sledge
hammer would just be indiscriminate, bashing away at all sorts of shit.
More likely to *break* your PC than defend it, I would think. Plus,
though a monkey would be too stupid to protect your computer, it would
be too smart to keep lifting a heavy sledge hammer for too long. Within
minutes it would drop the damned thing and start looking for a banana or
peanuts or something, and then get angry and start flinging poop
everywhere when it couldn't find it. Yeah, right, McAfee, that's what I
want in my security suite, something that's going to break my computer,
eat all my bananas, and cover my apartment with feces. SIGN ME UP!

**
Captain Infinity

Captain Infinity

May 27, 2006, 6:16:47 PM5/27/06
Once Upon A Time Ken from Chicago wrote:

>Ah, okay. Wait, British chips are not like thin American fries but more like
>big American gourmet fries?

Nah, not that big. British chips are just big enough to shove up
Michael Palin's nose, and stick.

**
Captain Infinity

Mark Nobles

May 27, 2006, 6:20:23 PM5/27/06
shawn <nanof...@gmail.com> wrote:

> This should help you to visualize what it looks like.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shepherd's_pie
>
> which says that Shepherd's pie is properly called a Cottage Pie
> (though I've never heard of cottage pie.)
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cottage_pie
>
> which then points out that cottage pies are commonly available in
> Australia with a layer of mashed potatoes instead of as the top crust.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_meat_pie

So this is like those new "bowls" from KFC
http://www.kfc.com/kitchen/bowls.htm

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

karl

May 27, 2006, 6:46:19 PM5/27/06

> On Sat, 27 May 2006 18:00:59 -0400, "karl" <kona...@hotmail.com>
> wrote:

>> Don't Americans have 'fish & chips'?
>

> Not the same idea in the USA. Here, it would typically be a fried fish
> served on a platter with a side of French fries. Normally ketchup
> would be the condiment used. At a fast food (take away) store the
> fish would be a fish sandwich that probably has tartar sauce as a
> condiment.

I'm not questioning the exact preparation but the phrase. Do Americans have
some form of battered, deep fried fish served with deep fried potatoes
sliced into sticks that they refer to as 'fish & chips'?

Default User

May 27, 2006, 6:51:59 PM5/27/06
Mark Nobles wrote:

> Obveeus <Obv...@aol.com> wrote:
>
> > Mark Nobles wrote:
> > >
> > > Right. And you don't think mashed potatoes and french fries are
> > > redundant?
> >
> > They have a totally different look/feel/taste. Do you consider
> > cooked carrots, raw carrot slivers in a salad, and carrot cake to
> > be redundant?
>

> completely unrelated. in the salad and cake, the carrot is a
> flavoring, not the center of the meal like the potato in the shepherd
> pie is. If I went to eat Chinese, I would consider steamed rice and

> fried rice redundant, despite the difference in look, feel, taste and
> presentation.

Ok, how about pasta with a side of garlic bread?

Brian

won't shut up.

Mark Nobles

May 27, 2006, 7:10:12 PM5/27/06
Message has been deleted

suzee

May 27, 2006, 7:53:23 PM5/27/06
Mark Nobles wrote:
> suzee <suz...@imbris.com> wrote:
>
>> shawn wrote:

>>> Except that the pie that I've seen (which may not be the norm) was
>>> much thicker than a chicken pot. So much so that it was designed to be
>>> eaten like a sandwich.
>> Maybe like a pasty?
>
> Ow! You made my brain hurt. Who would want to eat something that had
> been stuck to a dancer's nipple?

Not that kind of pasty. The one that's dough filled with meat and
vegetables and baked.

sue

suzee

May 27, 2006, 7:55:09 PM5/27/06
Ken from Chicago wrote:
> "Neill Massello" <mass...@newsguy.com> wrote in message

>> ann_...@yahoo.com <ann_...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I think the little gecko is referring to something like shepherd's pie
>>> (yumm) or kidney pie (blech).
>> I guess they picked "pie and chips" because "bangers and mash" would
>> have some rather unfortunate connotations in a commercial about car
>> insurance.
>
> Bangers and mash = eggs and hash browns (thank you, Seinfeld)

For years, I thought bangers were sausages.... especially since I saw
them at a Victorian christmas type of event (like a Ren fair, only in a
different century).

sue

suzee

May 27, 2006, 7:55:52 PM5/27/06
Ken from Chicago wrote:
> "Patrick Joseph Mc Namara" <writer...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> "Ken from Chicago" <kwicker1...@comcast.net> wrote in message
>>> "suzee" <suz...@imbris.com> wrote in message

>>> Oh, meat and potatoes. Sounds good.

>>> So what's with the chips if you have potatoes in the pie?
>>>
>> It might be a reference to the way the potatoes are cut; in slices rather
>> than mashed as for most shepard's pies.

> Ah, okay. Wait, British chips are not like thin American fries but more like
> big American gourmet fries?
>
> -- Ken from Chicago (who remembers that episode of THE COSBY SHOW where he
> took the kids to a fancy restaurant and they wanted burgers and fries and
> they were weirded out by gourmet burger and big french fries)

Usually called steak fries over here.

sue

suzee

May 27, 2006, 7:57:19 PM5/27/06
Mark Nobles wrote:
> Ken from Chicago wrote:

>>> I guess they picked "pie and chips" because "bangers and mash" would
>>> have some rather unfortunate connotations in a commercial about car
>>> insurance.
>> Bangers and mash = eggs and hash browns (thank you, Seinfeld)
>
> http://englishculture.allinfoabout.com/recipes/bang-mash.html

Yeah, that's what I thought...

sue

suzee

May 27, 2006, 7:59:44 PM5/27/06

Yeah, but I bet they're not like you'd get in the UK.

sue

ANIM8Rfsk

May 27, 2006, 7:56:54 PM5/27/06
in article urjh729gfi3n6b0p9...@4ax.com, Captain Infinity at
Infi...@captaininfinity.us wrote on 5/27/06 3:16 PM:

Hell, those people could shove an entire tape recorder up their nose.

suzee

May 27, 2006, 8:02:08 PM5/27/06
shawn wrote:
> On Sat, 27 May 2006 18:00:59 -0400, "karl" <kona...@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> Not the same idea in the USA. Here, it would typically be a fried fish
> served on a platter with a side of French fries. Normally ketchup
> would be the condiment used. At a fast food (take away) store the
> fish would be a fish sandwich that probably has tartar sauce as a
> condiment.
>
> We used to have the Arthur Treachers that served the fried fish with
> the thick cut fries, but they don't seem to be that popular. They even
> had the malt vinegar available. I see they do still do business in the
> USA so some people might be able to find one nearby:
> http://www.arthurtreachers.com/

A lot of restaurants and some takeouts serve fish 'n' chips in a basket
with thick cut fries, lemon and tartar sauce. Vinegar generally
available, along with ketchup.

sue

suzee

May 27, 2006, 8:02:27 PM5/27/06

Yes.

sue

suzee

May 27, 2006, 8:03:22 PM5/27/06
shawn wrote:
> Well, the answer to his question is really sometimes. There are a few
> places like Arthur Treachers that do serve 'fish & chips' and call it
> that. Most places wouldn't know what you were asking for if you asked
> for 'fish & chips.' When you order fish with a side of fries that's
> typically just what they call it.

Maybe in the kitchen, but it's fish & chips on the menu.

sue

Major ChrisB

May 27, 2006, 8:11:36 PM5/27/06

> Lift = elevator
> Rubber = eraser
> Flat = apartment
> Lorry = truck
> Bonnet = hood (of a car)
> Boot = trunk (of a car)
> Crisps = chips
> Chips = fries
> Biscuit = cookie (or cracker)
> Waistcoast = vest
> Vest = t-shirt
> Knickers = underwear
> Tube = subway
> Telly = television (or tv)
> Advert = ad (or commercial)
>
> But what on spinning Earth does the British gecko mean in those tv
> commercials when saying that insurance quotes are as popular as "pie and
> chips"?!
>
> I have some fondness of British culture, accents and language, and while
> I've heard of British cuisine as being, um, let us say ... exotic ... I've
> never heard of "pie AND chips" as some kind of meal, desert or side dish.
>
> Unless, does "pie" mean something different in English than it does in
> American?
>
> I mean I've enjoyed a Big Mac, fries and apple pie from McDonalds but I
> never thought of the "fries and pie" as its own entity. "Burger and
> fries", sure, like "ham and eggs" or "eggs and grits" or "toast and
> coffee", but "pie and chips"?

Hi...british bloke checking in.

Pie refers to a mutton or mince pie. small, round single portion pie filled
with mutton meat. Absolutly delishious...chips are large, good tasting
french fries.

also a cracker is still a cracker....

A lorry and a truck are different. A pick up like a Ford 250 is still a
truck. A lorry is a large haulage vehicle with a cab and a large goods
container behind her.

a t-shirt is a t-shirt. What you guest refer to as a vest we refer to as a
waist coat. What you call a sweater vest we call a tank top.

knickers = ladies underwear mens underwear is boxer shorts and briefs.
Briefs can also be y-fronts or pants.

We use tube or underground to mean subway.

and few people say Telly.

You forgot
hoover = vaccume cleaner
selotape = sticky tape
wanker = one who masterbates

Stan Brown

May 27, 2006, 8:27:33 PM5/27/06
Sat, 27 May 2006 07:06:28 -0500 from Ken from Chicago
<kwicker1...@comcast.net>:

> But what on spinning Earth does the British gecko mean in those tv
> commercials when saying that insurance quotes are as popular as "pie and
> chips"?!

British? It sounds Australian to me.

http://OakRoadSystems.com/
"You may be the Universe's butt puppet, but I'm its right-
hand fist of fate." -- /Wonderfalls/

Message has been deleted

David Brewer

May 27, 2006, 8:34:55 PM5/27/06
Ken from Chicago wrote:

> 30-odd years of DOCTOR WHO, MONTY PYTHON, BENNY HILL, THE TWO RONNIES,
> DANGER MOUSE, HITCHHIKER'S GUIDE TO THE GALAXY, Masterpiece Theater, HOUSE
> OF CARDS, Sherlock Holmes, A TALE OF TWO CITIES, Robin Hood, ABOUT A BOY,
> LOVE ACTUALLY, Bridget Jones, NOTTING HILL, COLD COMFORT FARM, James Bond,
> THE PRISONER, THE SAINT, William Tell and Shakespeare and not a blooming
> inkling about this fabled pie and chips.

William Tell is Swiss character. He and Robin Hood predate the
discovery of the potato.

--
David Brewer

David Brewer

May 27, 2006, 8:43:31 PM5/27/06
shawn wrote:

> This should help you to visualize what it looks like.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shepherd's_pie
>
> which says that Shepherd's pie is properly called a Cottage Pie

> (though I've never heard of cottage pie.)

Cottage pie is made with minced beef (and ideally has horseradish
mashed into the potato). Shepherd's pie is made with minced lamb:
shepherd... lamb... it makes sense.

Neither would normally be eaten with chips. With chips you are
more likely to eat chicken and mushroom, steak and kidney, beef
and onion, balti or Scotch pie. Or cod, haddock or hake, or
sausages or saveloys, or fishcake: all with gravy, curry sauce or
mushy peas of an attractively vibrant green hue. Or rissoles,
whatever they are.

If you like your carbs you could have a chip butty: chips in a
breadcake, or a cake butty: a fishcake (which is mostly potato,
and deep fried in a floury batter) in a breadcake.

--
David Brewer

Marty Billingsley

May 27, 2006, 9:00:04 PM5/27/06
In article <4478e739$0$16401$892e...@authen.yellow.readfreenews.net>,

Absolutely right. I've been searching for decent fish and chips for
many years now. For some reason, even "British" pubs here in the US
can't make a reasonable facimile. Mostly it's the chips that are
wrong; they're never mealy and greasy enough here, never melt-in-your-
mouth delicious.

Live in the UK as a kid spoiled me......

ANIM8Rfsk

May 27, 2006, 9:33:14 PM5/27/06
in article Pe6eg.76905$wl.3...@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk, David Brewer at
david...@blueyonder.co.uk wrote on 5/27/06 5:34 PM:

The discovery of the potato by who exactly? Maybe before the introduction
of the potato to Spain, but I suspect the people of South America knew about
potatoes some time earlier than that.

And the modern Robin Hood was created long after the potato was brought to
Spain.

ANIM8Rfsk

May 27, 2006, 9:39:11 PM5/27/06
in article MPG.1ee2b8809...@news.individual.net, Stan Brown at
the_sta...@fastmail.fm wrote on 5/27/06 5:27 PM:

> Sat, 27 May 2006 07:06:28 -0500 from Ken from Chicago
> <kwicker1...@comcast.net>:
>> But what on spinning Earth does the British gecko mean in those tv
>> commercials when saying that insurance quotes are as popular as "pie and
>> chips"?!
>
> British? It sounds Australian to me.

Yeah, it never occurred to me the gecko was anything by Australian.

My friend in Tasmania is online . . hang on . .

Okay, I asked him what 'pie and chips' means to him, and he replies:

"It means a meat pie with potato chips (like French fries but not as thin
and crisp)"

Pidge

May 27, 2006, 9:30:54 PM5/27/06

Whenever I travel in the States, they have no idea what vinegar is. I swear.
I'm thinking about bringing my own packets.

-------------
To send email, replace "antispam" with "sympatico"

Neill Massello

May 27, 2006, 9:34:08 PM5/27/06
Stan Brown <the_sta...@fastmail.fm> wrote:

> British? It sounds Australian to me.

It's Cockney, which was the major influence on 'strine (Australian
English).

JacquesZMonkey

May 27, 2006, 10:22:20 PM5/27/06

LOL That's the first time I've ever heard British food causes spoiling.

I've heard British food IS spoiled.

Coming from New York, where you can get great food from so many
regions, I consider myself spoiled. When I visited the UK, I found the
food pretty inedible.

Major ChrisB

May 27, 2006, 10:39:01 PM5/27/06

> On Sun, 28 May 2006 01:11:36 +0100, "Major ChrisB"
> <cgbrannig...@ntlworld.com> wrote:
>

>>"Ken from Chicago" <kwicker1...@comcast.net> wrote in message
>>> Lift = elevator
>>> Rubber = eraser
>>> Flat = apartment
>
> Makes you wonder what the Brits would call their tire if it lost all
> of its air.

>>> Lorry = truck
>>> Bonnet = hood (of a car)
>
> Well, you could think of a bonnet in the USA as a covering for a
> ladies head. :)
> Except a cracker in the states could also be slang for a white person.

>>A lorry and a truck are different. A pick up like a Ford 250 is still a
>>truck. A lorry is a large haulage vehicle with a cab and a large goods
>>container behind her.
> That makes it sound like a semi or tractor trailer is the same as a
> lorry. I thought a lorry was a large truck like you see delivering
> goods to your local stores like a milk truck or the beverage trucks. I
> didn't think it applied to (or at least not exclusively) the 18
> wheelers.

oh no of course not, but I thought it was a good way to describe the
difference, one extreme to the other...

Truck: http://tinyurl.com/o5m8r
Lorry: http://tinyurl.com/ok8nb
Van: http://www.shef.ac.uk/content/1/c6/03/83/18/transit.jpg

Of course some people may refer to a Lorry as a Truck but never a truck as a
lorry....

>>We use tube or underground to mean subway.
>>
>>and few people say Telly.
>>
>>You forgot
>>hoover = vaccume cleaner
>

> That would be understood here, but people would assume you mean a
> specific brand of vacuum cleaner.

We do but not people just call it a hoover because of the fact that for a
while they were the only ones who made them and didn't make anything else.

There was a brand of malt vinigar here who tried this kind of branding.
There slogan was "dont say vinegar, say Sarsons" assuming that if it caught
on everyone would be calling all vinegar brands Sasons now.......they
dont...

ANIM8Rfsk

May 27, 2006, 11:04:49 PM5/27/06
in article 59vh72p6ucbc02fle...@4ax.com, Pidge at
thep...@antispam.ca wrote on 5/27/06 6:30 PM:

You mean malt vinegar? Yeah, you won't find that much outside a fish and
chips place, but then why would you want to?

Message has been deleted

Obveeus

May 28, 2006, 12:07:44 AM5/28/06

Marty Billingsley wrote:
>Absolutely right. I've been searching for decent fish and chips for
>many years now. For some reason, even "British" pubs here in the US
>can't make a reasonable facimile. Mostly it's the chips that are
>wrong; they're never mealy and greasy enough here, never melt-in-your-
>mouth delicious.

Ever since someone figured out to coat the fries in cornstarch(?) or
whatever...most 'fast food fries' are thin and crisp. It is hard to find
the thick cut fries where you can squeeze them and watch the grease drip
out. That recipe seems to be dying...maybe because all the people that eat
fries like that are dying?

Obveeus

May 28, 2006, 12:09:44 AM5/28/06

shawn wrote:
>Not the same idea in the USA. Here, it would typically be a fried fish
>served on a platter with a side of French fries. Normally ketchup
>would be the condiment used.

Um...I sure hope that ketchup is being used on the fries...NOT the fish.
Tarter sauce and/or malt vinigar is for the fish...no ketchup should get
anywhere near the fish. Even cocktail sauce (like for shrimp) is ok on
fish...but ketchup...yuck!

Obveeus

May 28, 2006, 12:12:43 AM5/28/06

shawn wrote:
>I hadn't thought about it but your right. It is kind of a variation on
>the idea. Though the KFC thing doesn't have the crispy top crust.

Depends on how long it has been sitting under the heat lamp. ;-)

What I find funny about the KFC commercial is the 'three cheese blend'...and
even on the example bowl they show in the commercial there are only about 3
slivers of cheese on the thing. They need to be reminded of 'THE POWER OF
CHEESE' and put a decent amount on the food.

Message has been deleted

pkj...@aol.com

May 28, 2006, 12:21:19 AM5/28/06
On Sat, 27 May 2006 22:20:23 GMT, Mark Nobles
<cmn-n...@houston.rr.com> wrote:

>shawn <nanof...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> On Sat, 27 May 2006 15:34:27 -0500, "Ken from Chicago"
>> <kwicker1...@comcast.net> wrote:
>>

>> >"shawn" <nanof...@gmail.com> wrote in message

>> >Wow. Now I'm getting hungry for this shepard's pie.

>> This should help you to visualize what it looks like.
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shepherd's_pie
>>
>> which says that Shepherd's pie is properly called a Cottage Pie

>> (though I've never heard of cottage pie.)
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cottage_pie
>>
>> which then points out that cottage pies are commonly available in
>> Australia with a layer of mashed potatoes instead of as the top crust.
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_meat_pie
>>
>So this is like those new "bowls" from KFC
>http://www.kfc.com/kitchen/bowls.htm

KFC is trying, but they miss the boat.

In my old PA Dutch Country stomping grounds, Shepard's Pie consisted
of a bottom layer of ground beef and one vegetable, usually corn or
peas. The top layer was nothing but mashed potatoes. Bake in a
casserole bowl in an oven until crispy on top. In addition to my mom
making it, it was served at least once a week in my schools. It's
really a budget-minding quick&easy meal.

No gravy, no cheese, and no mixing up the layers. I've seen the KFC
TV commercial, and it makes it look like a bowl of mush. Not
particularly appetizing to me.

Ken from Chicago

May 28, 2006, 1:04:00 AM5/28/06

"Captain Infinity" <Infi...@captaininfinity.us> wrote in message

> Once Upon A Time Ken from Chicago wrote:
>
>>Ah, okay. Wait, British chips are not like thin American fries but more
>>like
>>big American gourmet fries?
>
> Nah, not that big. British chips are just big enough to shove up
> Michael Palin's nose, and stick.
>

> **
> Captain Infinity

That's no problem as long as you don't gag his mouth.

-- Ken from Chicago

Ken from Chicago

May 28, 2006, 1:06:26 AM5/28/06

"karl" <kona...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> "Patrick Joseph Mc Namara" <writer...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Ken from Chicago" <kwicker1...@comcast.net> wrote in message
>
>>> So what's with the chips if you have potatoes in the pie?
>>>

>> It might be a reference to the way the potatoes are cut; in slices rather
>> than mashed as for most Shepard's pies.
>
> The OP didn't specify Shepherds Pie. That was merely suggested by another.
> The other types of meat pies, with pastry crusts, would go with 'chips'.
>
> Don't Americans have 'fish & chips'?

Yeah, but it's not nearly as popular as burgers and chips-er, fries.
Remember McDonalds is based out of America (in fact in Oak Brook, just west
of Chicago).

-- Ken from Chicago

Ken from Chicago

May 28, 2006, 1:07:06 AM5/28/06

"David Brewer" <david...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message

Oh.

-- Ken from Chicago

Ken from Chicago

May 28, 2006, 1:15:19 AM5/28/06

> "Ken from Chicago" <kwicker1...@comcast.net> wrote in message
>
>> I hate the taste of beer but the best tv commercials seem to be beer ads,
>> from the Budweiser thoroughbred jingle (lala lala la la la la la, when
>> you said Bud you said it all), to those animated Bud Bowls.
>
> Canadian beer ads [sadly all the brewers are now part of transnat brewers]
> were the most effective heritage program ever, putting government programs
> to shame:
>
> The Joe Canadian Rant.
> The Spontaneous Street Hockey Game in T.O.
>
> Among many.

Don't forget the "... and I am Canadian."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nk2ihou3QAw&feature=PlayList&p=AE53306232AF179B&index=2

-- Ken from Chicago

Ken from Chicago

May 28, 2006, 1:33:13 AM5/28/06

> Ken from Chicago wrote:
>> "Neill Massello" <mass...@newsguy.com> wrote in message

>>> I guess they picked "pie and chips" because "bangers and mash" would
>>> have some rather unfortunate connotations in a commercial about car
>>> insurance.
>>
>> Bangers and mash = eggs and hash browns (thank you, Seinfeld)
>
> For years, I thought bangers were sausages.... especially since I saw them
> at a Victorian christmas type of event (like a Ren fair, only in a
> different century).
>
> sue

It's not my fault Seinfeld was vague.

-- Ken from Chicago (who has no idea what a wicked googaly is)

Ken from Chicago

May 28, 2006, 1:50:55 AM5/28/06

"Captain Infinity" <Infi...@captaininfinity.us> wrote in message

<snip>

> Nice rant. But you want to know what *I* want to know? Why does McAfee
> security compare themselves to "a monkey with a sledge hammer"?

Thank you and no, I have not clue one about a monkey with a sledgehammer
means. Altho it has got be one of few slogans worse than CBM's "Amiga: Mind
of a Musician". "Muscian"?!!! "Artist", sure, but "MUSICIAN?!!!?!!!?!!!?!"

> A monkey with a sledge hammer? Is this what people are looking for in
> their internet security? It's just stupid! A monkey with a sledge
> hammer would just be indiscriminate, bashing away at all sorts of shit.
> More likely to *break* your PC than defend it, I would think. Plus,
> though a monkey would be too stupid to protect your computer, it would
> be too smart to keep lifting a heavy sledge hammer for too long. Within
> minutes it would drop the damned thing and start looking for a banana or
> peanuts or something, and then get angry and start flinging poop
> everywhere when it couldn't find it. Yeah, right, McAfee, that's what I
> want in my security suite, something that's going to break my computer,
> eat all my bananas, and cover my apartment with feces. SIGN ME UP!
>

> **
> Captain Infinity

Altho I'd opt for the monkey with a nuclear sledgehammer before I let
Symmantic Norton within 10 miles of any computer of mine ever again. There
are several southern states that are having an easier time trying to remove
kudzu than it would be to completely uninstall Norton from clogging a
computer system.

-- Ken from Chicago

Ken from Chicago

May 28, 2006, 1:54:51 AM5/28/06

"shawn" <nanof...@gmail.com> wrote in message

<snip>

> That would be understood here, but people would assume you mean a
> specific brand of vacuum cleaner.

Like a Southerner or someone from outside of America asking for "coke" but
meaning any kind of "pop", not just a Coke specifically.

-- Ken from Chicago

JacquesZMonkey

May 28, 2006, 2:14:13 AM5/28/06

shawn wrote:
> On 27 May 2006 19:22:20 -0700, "JacquesZMonkey"

> <jacques...@aol.com> wrote:
>

> >Coming from New York, where you can get great food from so many
> >regions, I consider myself spoiled. When I visited the UK, I found the
> >food pretty inedible.
>
> I thought that Indian food in the UK was supposed to be a good bet?
> Wasn't that true or do you not care for Indian food?

I've only had Indian food a few times, and never in the UK, so that's
one region I can't speak for.

JacquesZMonkey

May 28, 2006, 2:39:54 AM5/28/06

Mark Nobles wrote:
> suzee <suz...@imbris.com> wrote:
> >
> > Maybe like a pasty?
>
> Ow! You made my brain hurt. Who would want to eat something that had
> been stuck to a dancer's nipple?

I'd prefer the present tense, but if it just came off, that's fine too.

It is loading more messages.