VISIONS convention update #1

John Lavalie

Feb 27, 1995, 9:28:38 PM2/27/95
Her Majesty's Entertainment presents

VISIONS '95
A Convention Dedicated to Unusual Television
Dates: November 23-26, 1995
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Hotel: Hyatt Regency O'Hare
9300 West Bryn Mawr Ave.
Rosemont, IL 60018
(708) 696-1234
CONFIRMED GUESTS*
from DOCTOR WHO:
Sylvester McCoy (7th Doctor)
Sophie Aldred (Ace)
from RED DWARF:
Norman Lovett (Holly #1)
Hattie Hayridge (Holly #2)
*guests may cancel at any time due to conflicting professional commitments
GUESTS IN PROGRESS
a British comedy actor
another actor from Doctor Who
a representative from the Amblin Doctor Who project
actors from: Sapphire and Steel, The X-Files, Babylon 5
MEMBERSHIP PRICES
3-day: $50 until 4-30-95 $60 until 10-31-95 $75 at the door
2-day: $40 until 4-30-95 $50 until 10-31-95 $65 at the door
1-day: $30 until 4-30-95 $40 until 10-31-95 $55 at the door
contributing [VIP] membership: $60 in addition to regular membership
(gets you into a Thursday night party with the celebrity guests)
Dealers Room Only Membership (3-day): $10 at the door
variety show ticket(s): $20 in addition to regular or DRO membership
celebrity luncheon ticket(s): $30 in addition to regular or DRO membership
fan dealer table [limit=1]: $40 in addition to regular or DRO membership
pro dealer table(s): $250 per table
supporting [non-attending] membership only: $25
t-shirt(s): $12 until 10-31-95 $14 at the door (2XL add $4, 3XL add $5)
HOW TO GET IN TOUCH WITH US
regular mail:
HER MAJESTY'S ENTERTAINMENT
P.O. Box 1202
Highland Park, IL 60035-1202
electronic mail:
INTERNET: fer...@areaplg2.corp.mot.com (George Fergus)
AMERICA ON LINE: RobertM469 (Bob McLaughlin)
COMPUSERVE: 70662,3256 (Jennifer Adams Kelley)
PRODIGY: NBFJ35A (Charlie Thomson)
telephone answering machine:
708-405-9461
discounted air fares to Visions are available:
800-458-9237 (Total Travel Management)

To be added to the electronc mailing list, send e-mail to George Fergus at
the internet address above.
BEGINNERS GUIDE
Last year we started distributing The Visions Rookie Guide. It explains
how and why things are done at Visions and other media and science fiction
cons. If you would like to know what the difference is between a fan-run
convention and a commercial convention, or what you can do to make your
attendance at Visions one of the highlights of the year, please send us
a business-sized SASE for your free copy. We will probably have a revised
version avaiable in late Spring that incorporates any changes for '95.

CELEBRITY LUNCHEON
On Saturday we have a luncheon where each celebrity hosts a table of 10 fans.
The cost is $30 per person, which includes a soft drink and a limited-variety
menu. Because we cannot guarantee that a particular guest will be in
attendance at the convention, it will not be possible to honor any requests
to be seated at a specific guest's table. Sign up early to assure your
place before the available seating runs out.

VARIETY SHOW
On Saturday evening we present a variety show at the cost of $20 per person.
This consists of a performance of some kind by each of the celebrity guests
-- singing, dancing, stand-up comedy, dramatic reading, or whatever. Not
everyone who attends the convention is interested in this, which is why
we make it an optional event. Tickets can be obtained at the con itself,
but people are let into the hall in the order their tickets were purchased,
so earlier purchase by mail gets you better choice of seating.

FAN PANELS
If you want to make a presentation or host a panel discussion at Visions
'95, we can provide you with a room and put you on the printed schedule.
Just submit your panel request to us in writing no later than September 30,
and let us know which general time of day you prefer and which of our
normal activities you don't want to conflict with your event.

VIDEOS WANTED
In addition to our two usual Video Rooms highlighting the work of our
celebrity guests and other television items we think you will find of
interest, we will again be offering a "Fan" Video Room this year. We got
a good response last year to fan-made versions of Doctor Who, Red Dwarf,
Star Trek: The Next Generation, The Prisoner, Mystery Science Theater 3000,
and Monty Python's Flying Circus. If you have something you'd like shown
in this room, please send us copy of your tape no later than October 31 so
that it may be timed and scheduled. We do however reserve the right to
refuse to show any video we deem unsuitable.

THURSDAY VIDEO ROOM HOURS
Many attendees last year didn't realize that our video rooms are open on
Thursday (Thanksgiving) evening to help entertain those early arrivals who
aren't attending the Contributors Party with the celebrity guests. The rooms
will be open from approximately 6:00 p.m. to midnight, and we attempt to send
out an advance copy of Thursday's schedule to those on the e-mail update
list.

LOST AND FOUND
We still have several items which were left behind in our "Lost and Found"
box after previous conventions. If you believe we might have something
belonging to you, please send us a written description of the item and we"ll
let you know if we have it and make arrangements to get it back to you.

VIDEOTAPES FROM PREVIOUS CONVENTIONS
Custom-assembled videotapes are available of events from Visions '90-'93.
Dave Thomas is no longer handling this, so please send your queries and
orders to the Visions P.O. box rather than to Dave's home address. The
catalog of items from 1994 is in preparation, and we will send a message
to everyone on the e-mail list when it is ready.

TYPICAL SCHEDULE OF EVENTS
Unlike some other conventions, the celebrity guests spend almost all their
daytime hours interacting with the fans. On each of Visions' three days,
each guest typically does at least one Question & Answer session, one
autograph session, and one photograph session. However, exact appearance
times are not worked out until the last minute, so a complete agenda is
generally not available ahead of time.

Registration Thursday 6pm-9pm [for pre-registered only]
Friday 8am-5pm, 6pm-9pm
Saturday 8am-5pm
Sunday 9am-2pm
Opening Ceremonies Friday 10-11am
Closing Ceremonies Sunday 4:30-5:30pm
Panels, Autographs, Photographs Friday 11:15am-5:15pm
Saturday 9:30am-6:30pm
Sunday 10am-4pm
Dealers Rooms (Pro & Fan) Friday 10am-7pm
Saturday 9am-7pm
Sunday 10am-4pm
Video Rooms 1 & 2 Thursday 6pm-2am
Friday 10:30am-2am (end times approx.)
Saturday 8am-2am
Sunday 8am-4pm
Fan Video Room Friday noon-midnight
Saturday 11am-midnight
Contributors Party Thursday 8pm-10pm [$60 additional]
Costume Contest Friday 7:30pm-8:30pm
Costume Ball Friday 8:30pm-11:00pm??
Celebrity Luncheon Saturday 12:00pm-1:30pm [$30 additional]
Charity Memorabilia Auction Saturday 1:45pm-4pm
Celebrity Variety Show Saturday 8:30pm-11:00pm?? [$20 additional]

<------------------------------cut here------------------------------------->

VISIONS '95
Send Check or Money Order to: Travel Info: (800)
458-9237
HER MAJESTY'S ENTERTAINMENT Hotel Info: (708)
696-1234
P.O. Box 1202 Visions Info: (708)
405-9461
Highland Park, IL 60035-1202

Enclosed is $_______for ___ __-day memberships
indicate: Fri( ) Sat( ) Sun( )

plus ___variety show tickets ___luncheon tickets ___supporting memberships
___contributing memberships ___t-shirts (size_____)

Name(s): ________________________________________ Enclose SASE for info on:
Volunteering [ ]

Ordering Videotapes [ ]