Blakes 7 Fanzines

ekho...@cybernet.cse.fau.edu

Apr 14, 1992, 11:12:39 AM4/14/92

Hello, all you slavering lunatics out there! ;-}

As promised by myself a few days ago, here's the list of people and
adresses you can send to for information on fanzines (large amounts
of paper stapled, taped, glued, bound together on which is printed
large amounts of typing which, when read, result in the reader enjoying
large amounts of great stories, poems, artwork, etc.) %-] Just send an
SASE (Self-Adressed, Stamped Envelope) (and believe me, once you get
into this, you will become very familiar with these!) to the person
of your choice, and they will eventually respond with flyers, etc.
about the 'zines they have available. Personally, I have only gotten
'zines from Wendy Rathbone and Ann Wortham/Leah Rosenthal, but I look
forward to new and different 'zines... and remember, all...

BLAKES 7 RULES THE UNIVERSE!!!!!!!

'Zine name(s) Write to:

Southern Seven Ann Wortham, 1402 Allison Ave., Altamonte Springs,
Southern Comfort FL 32701
Southern Lights
Last Stand at the Edge of the World

Raising Hell Wendy Rathbone, 13101 Sudan Rd, Poway, CA 92064
Resistance

5th Season Sheila Willis, 700 Dewberry Dr., Monroeville, PA
15146

B7 Complex Deborah Walsh, 346 Ferry St. #3, Malden, MA 02148
(These are thought to be out of print :-( )

Magnificent 7 Leigh Arnold, 15215 Victory Blvd. #213 Van Nuys,
Magnificent Tails Ca 91411

Probability Square Laura Virgil, 2207 Gaylord Dr., Dallas, TX 75227

Prime Time Mary Fall, 172 Putnam St. #3, E. Boston, MA 02128

Shadowstar Mary Jean Holmes, 3801 S. Miner #5, Milwaukee,
WI 53221

Whatever Works L.A. "Terrick" Carr, 2720 Exuma Rd., West Palm
Beach, FL 33406
(This one is said to be out of print, but she is a great writer!)

Everything But The M. J. Blythe, RFD #1--Box 250, Walker, WV 26180
Kitchen Sink
Adult Situations (?)

Gambit Jean Graham, 5417 Streamview Dr., San Diego, CA
92105

Melange Barbara Fister-Liltz, 8601A West Cermak Rd., North
Fantazy Riverside, IL 60544
Outlands

Something Unfriendly Cathi Brown, 205 S. Winnebago, Lake Mills, IA
50450

Scenario Scott Clark, 4211 Turner St., Lincoln, NE 68504

Of Dreams & Schemes Catherine Schlein, 67551 Union St., Arvada, CO
80004

Almost Anything Goes Donna Long, 7000 Tazewell Pk., Corryton, TN 37721
Around Twice

Chronicles Susan Clarke, 6 Bellevue Rd., Faulconbridge, NSW
B7--The Other Side 2776 Australia

Interface Yvette Clark, 85 Brendon Green, Mill Brook,
Quicksilver Rising Southampton, Hants S01 4BE England

Touched Jane Carnall, 36 Montgomery St., Edinburgh EH7 5JY
The Unique Touch Scotland

Return of the 7 Janet Walker, 90 Silver Lane #A-3, Eugene, OR
97404

Oblaque GBH Productions, 6048 W. Metropolitan Plaza,
Los Angeles, CA 90036

Gateway to Time IV P.O. Box 733, St. Louis, MO 63188

The Naughty Bits Jeff Morris, 1614 Grant Rd., Webster Groves,
MO 63119

Vila, Please Gimme 4M Press, P.O. Box 58644, St. Louis MO 63188
Blake

Destiny Adrian Morgan, 431 West Barry, #122, Chicago, IL
Different Destines 60657
Live & Direct

Bizarro Zine :-) Leah Rosenthal, 1402 Allison Ave., Altamonte
Springs, FL 32701

Powerplay Marion McChesney, P.O. Box 668, Edgewood, MD 21040

Blake, Rabble and Roll Mysti Frank, 516 Shelby St., Lexington, KY 40505

If any of the information is found to be incorrect, I will update the
list ASAP, mail me for comments, questions, etc. A few points to make:
Unfortunately, some of these people are swamped with mail and backorders,
therefore, some orders take months to be filled... but I've found the
results to be well worth the wait! (so far...) :-) The 'zines that are
out of print; who knows, if they get enough requests, they might reorder
them from the printer... And finally, some of the 'zines have "Adult"
material in them, that is, uh, situations which, uh, you may not have
formerly thought could, err, possibly occur... These 'zines usually
require an age statement in order to purchase them. As far as I know,
these are all Blakes 7 'zines. If I find out the location of any others,
I'll post them. Feel free to send any mail on the subject, and if you
know anything I don't, any opinions on the fanzines you recieve, etc., I
live to be enlightened! I hope you enjoy them as much as I do!

Any friend of B7 is a friend of mine! So there! ;-}
Hope to hear from you...

Yours in Time and Space,

Ekho (Killer Queen, Dynamite with a Laser Beam)

Nancy Ellman

Apr 16, 1992, 11:16:29 AM4/16/92

Over the past year and a half I have bought a fair number of these
zines, and, since it took me a while to find out which were the most
worthwhile, I thought I'd offer some opinions.
(As a side note for those unfamiliar with the notation, "adult"
usually refers only to heterosexual situations. A lot of zines are
"slash" (also called "/", or in particular cases "A/B", "C/J") These
refer to same sex situations, eg. Avon and Blake, Cally and Jenna etc.)

Gambit Jean Graham, 5417 Streamview Dr., San Diego, CA
92105

For someone new to the zine world, I'd recommend the Gambit zines to
start out with. They have a lot of stories most of which are very
good. They are cheap, typeset and well bound and, most importantly I
found when I was starting out, they are shipped promptly.

Southern Seven Ann Wortham, 1402 Allison Ave., Altamonte Springs, FL 32701
Southern Comfort

Southern Lights
Last Stand at the Edge of the World

(She also publishes Blake's Doubles, and is printing Destiny and
Different Destinies for some other editors)

These zines are generally quite good. I haven't read Last Stand at the
Edge of the World, but I am told it has won awards at cons. The only
problem is that Ms. Wortham is very overextended and the wait for her
zines can be quite long. I have never gotten anything in less than two
months and I have been waiting now for 6 months for my last order -
which I will probably try to sell off as soon as it arrives, as my
interested in the fandom has been waning. (Anyone interested in
buying those or any of my zines, at 3/4 the original price can send me
email for a list.)

Raising Hell Wendy Rathbone, 13101 Sudan Rd, Poway, CA 92064
Resistance

(She also published the single issue "Avon the Terrible"
as well as some fan novels including novella "Trust Like the Soul" by
Jean Lorrah. The latter is the story of what happens then Tarrant
mixes up the memory tubes on Ultraworld.)

These zines are pretty good. The binding isn't great (staples), but
the delivery is pretty fast and the prices are good.

Oblaque GBH Productions, 6048 W. Metropolitan Plaza,
Los Angeles, CA 90036

These are all "/". They are very well written, but the stories are
heavy and tend toward bleak endings. I liked them a lot, but they may
not be to everyone's taste.

The Naughty Bits Jeff Morris, 1614 Grant Rd., Webster Groves,
MO 63119

(Also Banzine. The Naughty Bits is an adult zine. Both these zines
have stories about Dr. Who, Ghostbusters and Buckaroo Banzai. Banzine
also has stories based on the novel "Kill the Dead" by Tanith Lee, who
based the two main characters on Avon and Vila.)

These were both good zines, but since I was only interested in Blake's
7 stories, I didn't buy any more.

Destiny Adrian Morgan, 431 West Barry, #122, Chicago, IL

Different Destinies 60657
Live & Direct

The first two are being printed by Ann Wortham, not Adrian Morgan. I
don't know about the the third. I liked Different Destinies a lot. (I
am still waiting for Destiny ...)

Blake, Rabble and Roll Mysti Frank, 516 Shelby St., Lexington, KY 40505

I've read two issues of this zine. The first one was rather short, but
had a couple of good stories. The second one was better.

Here are some zines that weren't mentioned in other messages.

Freedom City Gazette Space Rat Press
Freedom City Winter Special P.O. Box 422
Terminal Park Ridge, NJ 17656

These zines consist entirely of interviews of the actors, directors
and technical folk. They provide a lot of insight into the show.

Down and Unsafe Kathy Hanson, 39 Marriotts Rd.
Seventh Sector Cristchurch 9, NEW ZEALAND

(In the US you can order from Chris Mars, 1575 A1A South #D7, St.
Augustine, FL 32084) These are short, inexpensive zines with good
stories. Seventh Sector usually contains a single fan novel.

Dr. Bellfriars Memorial Journal. Kathy Coy, 485 Hawkins Blvd.
Copaigue, NY 11726

Another short, but inexpensive zine.

Avon Calling Denetia Arellanes
Avon Calls Again 429 North Chapel Apt. E
Alhambra, CA 91801

These are adult and "/" zines. Both very good.

Some story story authors I have found to be particularly good: Jean
Graham (the best I've read), Kathy Hanson, Shelia Paulson, and for
adult zines: Sebastian and Fay Glasgow.

A good way to get a sense of the different zines when you are starting
out is to buy used. Ad-zines such as the GAZ (generic adzine)
published by Jennifer Hebert, 2115 Nell Street Houston, TX 77034-1314
list zine sales in the classifieds. Also Bill Hupe, (916 Lamb Rd.
Mason, MI 48854-9554) sells a lot of used zines. He also agents for
other editors, so many of the zines mentioned here may be bought from
him. And, as I mentioned above, I still have about a dozen used zines
I am willing to sell of. Email me if interested.

Cheers,

Nan Ellman <n...@helios.ucsc.edu>

Betsy Ramsey

Apr 22, 1992, 2:22:03 PM4/22/92
In article <NAN.92Ap...@ertou.ucsc.edu>, n...@ertou.ucsc.edu (Nancy
Ellman) writes:

> (As a side note for those unfamiliar with the notation, "adult"
> usually refers only to heterosexual situations. A lot of zines are
> "slash" (also called "/", or in particular cases "A/B", "C/J") These
> refer to same sex situations, eg. Avon and Blake, Cally and Jenna etc.)

A good overview of the slash subgenre of fan fiction can be found in
article <1992Apr19....@mont.cs.missouri.edu> titled "Welcome to
Bisexuality, Captain Kirk: Slash and the Fan Writing Community" in
newsgroup misc.activism.progressive. The article is dated 19 Apr 1992
21:40:17 GMT and contains an essay extracted from Henry Jenkins, Textual
Poachers: Television Fans and Participatory Culture (forthcoming summer
1992).

--
Betsy Ramsey, The Catholic University of America, Washington, DC
Internet: ram...@cuavax.dnet.cua.edu, Bitnet: ramsey@cua