Dewey's Monday update for 3rd August.

Peter Dewhirst

Aug 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/19/98
Hi everyone, this is going to be my last late update. I was all ready
to get it done within 3 days, but as I ran the tape forward from doing
the previous Monday's, it jammed and I couldn't use it any more. Here
on Anglia TV our repeat is at 5am the following morning, rather than a
weekly omnibus, so I'd missed that. Fortunately Tinky^ sent me his
tape, but not in time to update before my holiday. So here I am, 9pm
Tuesday 18th August, hoping I can get the bulk of the update done
before I have to go to the pub. Thank's Tinky^, the tape will be back
in the post today.

Just for a change, we don't open at the Webster's at breakfast, but in
the Kabin, where Toyah is perusing teen-mags. (BTW don't let your
daughters read 'more' until you've vetted it yourself, unless they're
over, say, 21. It's disgusting). Rita is getting snappy with Leanne,
commanding her to get the crisps in and leave the papers to her.

A semi-naked Spider (steady, Glenda) comes down to breakfast, and
finds Lorraine has already prepared it. And what /is/ that through his
left nipple? Looks like a 3 inch spike of wood to me. (BTW the newly
liberated Dewey yesterday joined him: a nice titanium ring, and it
didn't hurt a bit.) They have a bit of a 'how was it for you' session
referring to the night and/or evening before, and we are left not
knowing whether they enjoyed Ugandan Relations between the sheets or
not. Lorraine teases him about his mothering of RToyah. She then
proceeds to floss his teeth with her tongue. Yeurrrrgh.

Cut to RToyah, alone chez Batts. She's taking her magazine's advice on
how to catch her ideal man, trying out a new sexy walk, and checking
herself out in the mirror - 'make the most of your eyes by looking at
your hunks through lowered lids'. The mag's clothing tips don't
impress her either. How will she ever get Spider to notice her?

It was too good to last, here we are chez Webster, where RKevin is
opening the morning's junk mail. Then there's a letter from the
Solicitors telling him that the garage deal with Natalie is nearly
complete. Sally senses an argument, and tells the girls to go upstairs
to get ready for school, but they don't go. Kevin goes instead,
leaving them eating their breakfast. Sally gets cross with them for
not doing as they were told.

Toyah, tired of trying seduction tips, goes round to Ken's for her
extra-curricular activity. He reads her latest effort, and admits that
it's crap, but better crap. Most importantly, she's definitely showing
signs of improvement. Ken catches sight of her magazine, which Toyah
is embarrassed about, but he reassures her that he doesn't care what
she reads, as long as she does read. She bluffs that she only reads it
for the cooking articles!

Back to the Kabin, where Rita is getting a bit confused. Why is Leanne
humping boxes of crisps around when she should be doing the papers?
Leanne explains that she herself told her to do the crisps, but Rita
can't remember, nor remember that Toyah was even in the shop that
morning.

Ken and Toyah are doing a letter writing exercise. Toyah can't see why
letters should be in language different from everyday use. Why can't
she just write 'Hiya. Send me the stuff or we'll come round and break
your knees, love Toyah.' Ken explains that Real Life is different
because of the body language, that can't be conveyed in a letter.
Hasn't he heard of smileys? He suggests that as Toyah thinks the
magazine is crap, she should write a letter to the editor describing
how they could improve it. Toyah is reluctant, assuming they wouldn't
bother to even read it, but agrees to go along with it as an exercise.
One of her reasons for thinking it's crap is that it's full of lads
with no shirts on, that's naff. He tries to encourage her to think her
objections through - not just saying it's naff, but why it's naff. She
wants the magazine to concentrate less on getting off wi' lads, and
more on dangerous sports, like quad-biking. Shouldn't she be buying
What Quad Bike or Bungee Jumping Digest?

Ken is surprised that she's not interested in boys, but she tells him
that she 'goes for older men'. Ken's involuntary body language causes
her to add 'I said older men, not geriatrics'. LOL!

Again we visit the Kabin, where Leanne tells Alec that she's getting
worried about Rita and her forgetfulness. Roy is unnecessarily
sarcastic, questioning how there could be more room in her mind to be
worried about Rita. Leanne tells him straight that although they don't
see eye to eye, she doesn't want him moving in and taking control. He
tells her not to be concerned, Rita is just a little tired. Smelling a
rodent, Leanne demands 'what's up', which nicely coincides with Rita
coming in from the back, all smiles, to reiterate the question. Alec,
caught out, is saved by the arrival of Vera, teasing him that she can
always find him behind a bar or a counter, but wouldn't it be nice if
he was behind the bar of the Rovers occasionally? Rita explains that
he's only doing her a favour while she gets better, but knowing him
she'll have to return it. He'll probably get her working behind the
Rovers bar sometime. This is something Vera doesn't want to hear, and
she begins to think Alec has a plot to get the Duckies out and Rita
in.

Ken is very impressed with Toyah's letter to the editor describing the
research she has done which indicates that coverage of extreme sports
would be welcome. The spelling was a bit suspect, but they've put that
right, and it was the content that was important. He puts it in an
envelope and sees Toyah out. Toyah tells him that he's dead good as a
teacher - why wasn't he like that at school? She's having second
thoughts about sending the letter, so Ken takes it off her to make
sure it gets posted.

As he walks to the postbox we cut to Curly who has spotted Martin
outside the Kabin. He goes over to suggest they have a night out soon,
but Martin's diary is fully booked - he's on nights. Still, the whole
scene was just a plot device to get Martin in position to be pumped
for medical knowledge by Alec. Alec admits that everyone takes
advantage of Martin's medical capacity, and that he wants to do the
same. Martin, to his credit, admits that he knows nothing about Carbon
Monoxide Poisoning, and suggests a visit to Rita's GP might be a
better idea. Is this the first time he hasn't known everything
required for a Street regular's medical position?

Our Toyah is a busy lass, now she's cleaning tables in Roy's Rolls.
Spider and Lorraine arrive, and Toyah uses a line from her 'get your
man guide' - 'do you have a wide and varied wardrobe? Then you could
do clever things with co-ordinated separates.' Lorraine is confused
until Toyah comments that she is wearing the same clothes as she did
in the club last night. Lorraine really enjoys rubbing it in that she
hasn't been home to change yet. RToyah certainly didn't want to hear
that!

RToyah, who was not impressed with Lorraine's order of scrambled egg
and bacon, fairly throws the plate on the table. Lorraine thinks she
is a stroppy little madam, and can't understand how a veggie can work
in a cafe serving animal products. It'd be like her being
anti-alcohol, yet working in the Rovers. Spider tells her that 'she
gets confused, but she's all right is Toyah.'

Leanne wants to know what's bugging RToyah, who indicates towards
Lorraine, and explains how she stayed with Spider last night. Leanne
suddenly understands, and takes the bacon roll that Toyah has given
her, and goes to Spider's table for the ketchup. Oh dear, her squeeze
on the bottle slips, and Lorraine's white blouse begins to look like
it needs a hot wash with Persil. 'I am so, so sorry', says Leanne with
minimal sincerity, 'I do hope you don't have to go home and change
your top'.

Alec is fussing over the magazines and periodicals while Alma tells
Rita how nice it is to have her back in the saddle. As Alma leaves,
having cancelled the papers for the weekend, Rita catches Alec looking
at her strangely. He claims that he's just looking at her because he's
glad to have her back, but Rita is not convinced.

RToyah is still following her magazine's advice - 'take the
initiative, go round to his house, he's probably only watching telly
anyway, and will be glad to see you.' Snatching up some of the many
clothes lying around, she hurries out of the scene.

For a change of scene, we go to Underworld, where Blandford sits with
Sally to talk about Kevin, the garage etc. It isn't easy talking in
that situation, and he has to cover up when they might be overheard.

'What are you up to?' says Spider, admitting RToyah. 'Oh, just taking
the initiative, y'know how it is'. She's wearing an embroidered cotton
blouse (with sleeves far too long), and curiously, Les's brown leather
gilet. She tries to get all sexy and sensuous, and asks Spider what he
thinks about age differences in couples. He says he's never really
thought about it, which Toyah takes as encouragement. Lorraine
arrives, post-bath, and joins in, agreeing that there's very little
difference in their ages, and then asking why Toyah wants to know - is
it a school project or something? Toyah has to twist it back to
Lorraine, and tells her that it is a project on why so-called vegans
go out with people who eat meat. Lorraine asks her why she is wearing
leather? 'No, it's not /her/ jacket', says Spider, 'it's her Dad's.
<Thinks a moment> Why /are/ you wearing it?' A crestfallen Toyah runs
out when Lorraine describes the quiet night in she is planning with
Spider.

Curly is being miserable into his pint, declaring to Betty that he is
a 'nothing happening person'. Baldwin rubs it in by agreeing. Curly
declines another pint and states that he might just run away to London
to seek fame and fortune, and find somebody new. Baldwin can't miss
another opportunity to belittle Curly - ' Get a life - what could they
see in you?' Alma goes into protect friendship mode and tells Curly
not to take any notice of Mike, but all the same, he could look very
attractive if he made a bit of an effort.

We cut to Kevin telling Natalie that he's had the Solicitors' letter,
and it'll soon be all over, they'll be free of each other.

Ken comes in for a pint, and Vera wants to know what Alec's up to. Ken
doesn't know, but agrees that Alec has got his feet firmly under the
counter at the Kabin.

RToyah is getting increasingly upset about failing to get Spider to
notice her. In her frustration she tears up her magazine, turns on
some loud music, and disappears upstairs.

As we saw before, loud music chez Batts is still loud in Emily's
parlour, and it is there that we find Spider doing his strange
dancing, to Lorraines evident amusement. He's wearing a rather
wonderful T shirt showing all of Stonehenge round his waist. I want
one! Although for me it would need to include the Avebury Stone
Circle, and prolly the Circle Line too just to get round my waist.
Lorraine is so amused she joins in, and, naturally, they have another
osculatory session. An unusual scene, no dialogue, just a few giggles
from Lorraine.

Curly comes home from a hard day's supermarket managing, and finds the
second post. He ploughs through the junk mail until he reaches an
Airmail envelope from Kuala Lumpur. After the pleasantries, Raquel
gets straight to the point - she has met somebody special - Justin -
and she wants a divorce. Curly can't take this in with the noise of
Toyah's music. (Note the copy of PC Plus on the table - proof that
Curly is, or aspires to be, computer literate)

It's closing time at the Kabin, and Leanne is preparing to leave. She
tells Rita that she's very pleased that Rita's back, and getting
better. This is news to Rita, she has no recollection of being ill.
Just then Alec arrives, who confirms that she has been ill, but is
better now. Rita starts to get hysterical, and through her sobbing,
tells him how frightened she is. He tries to comfort her, but she is
sure that she is losing her mind. With her head in her hands just like
Edvard Munch's 'The Scream', she sobs into the closing credits.

Episode written by Peter Mills.

--
Sensible Sig

Dewey, Hitchin, UK
ICQ UIN 3742465

Graham Allsopp

Aug 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/19/98
In article <35e0a99f...@newnews.news.pipex.net>,
peterd...@dial.pipex.com wrote:

>Hi everyone, this is going to be my last late update....

Dewey !!!!

Oh!... phew.... don't say things like that !
My eyes skimmed over the "late" :-)

Have a great holiday !

See you in a tad over 6 weeks....

.

Graham (ICQ UIN 3957536)
"I always think it's a mistake to burn one's boats -
especially for non-swimmers" - Annie Walker

Who's Who on The Street website: http://www.shef.ac.uk/~gg1jga/street/

If you feel like helping out with these, let me know

Peter Dewhirst

Aug 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/19/98
On Wed, 19 Aug 1998 12:39:25 +0100, G.Al...@Sheffield.ac.uk (Graham
Allsopp) wrote:

>Have a great holiday !

Er, I've just been. That's how I'm catching up.

Really must get round to booking Blackpool. Or accommodation at least.

--
Dewey

<<This sig. file has not been tested on animals>>