AMC: TAN: Nancy Kerrigan

1 view

Rick Kitchen

Jan 6, 1994, 7:06:16 PM1/6/94

Another of thsoe "What's the world coming to?" things:

As she walked off the ice after practice in Detroit this afternoon,
Nancy Kerrigan was attacked by a man wielding what was described as a
baseball bat or a tire iron. He escaped without being captured.

Nancy was taken to the hospital, but has been released with "minor injuries."

--
Rick Kitchen ap...@yfn.ysu.edu
"You're acting like you're in a podiatrist's office and they're going

Judi Geistlinger

Jan 7, 1994, 9:30:19 AM1/7/94
ap...@yfn.ysu.edu (Rick Kitchen) writes:

>Another of thsoe "What's the world coming to?" things:

>As she walked off the ice after practice in Detroit this afternoon,
>Nancy Kerrigan was attacked by a man wielding what was described as a
>baseball bat or a tire iron. He escaped without being captured.

>Nancy was taken to the hospital, but has been released with "minor injuries."

I watched the skating last night and could not believe it when they were talking
about her being attacked. At the end of the men's competition, they had a
short interview, and she said that she wanted everyone to know that she
has not lost hope in people and that most people were worried about her and
she wanted to set them at ease. She also said that skating was not the most
important thing, and that if she couldn't skate she would be okay.

Boy, she really has so much class and nerve. I think she is terrific.
--
Judi Geistlinger
Research Programmer

Dave Vollman

Jan 7, 1994, 10:11:04 AM1/7/94
In article <2gjrlr$b...@vixen.cso.uiuc.edu> com...@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Judi Geistlinger) writes:
>ap...@yfn.ysu.edu (Rick Kitchen) writes:
>

>>Another of thsoe "What's the world coming to?" things:
>
>>As she walked off the ice after practice in Detroit this afternoon,
>>Nancy Kerrigan was attacked by a man wielding what was described as a
>>baseball bat or a tire iron. He escaped without being captured.
>
>>Nancy was taken to the hospital, but has been released with "minor injuries."
>
>I watched the skating last night and could not believe it when they were talking
>about her being attacked. At the end of the men's competition, they had a
>short interview, and she said that she wanted everyone to know that she
>has not lost hope in people and that most people were worried about her and
>she wanted to set them at ease. She also said that skating was not the most
>important thing, and that if she couldn't skate she would be okay.

First thing, did we REALLY need to see the videotape of the aftermath
of this?

I talked to a couple of old cycling friends last night. I all our
competitive times, this was something none of us had ever worried
about (OK it's a given that cycling is not as high a profile sport as
figure skating), although I know some of the women cyclists had problems
with a few wacko people. I really can't imagine having two years of
intense training being wiped out by something like this.

I hope they catch this bozo.

>Boy, she really has so much class and nerve. I think she is terrific.

No kidding. I hope she can put the physical and psycological effects
behind her and do really well. I'm sure she can, given she has handled
the pressures of olympic competition.

--
A string quartet is made up of a good violinist (first), a bad violinist
(second), a really bad violinist who changed to viola, and a cellist
| Dave Vollman | AT&T Bell Laboratories | d...@ihlpm.att.com | MY OPINIONS

Carolyn Zaccaria

Jan 7, 1994, 10:41:09 AM1/7/94
In article <2gi91o$5...@news.ysu.edu> ap...@yfn.ysu.edu (Rick Kitchen) writes:

>Another of thsoe "What's the world coming to?" things:
>Nancy Kerrigan was attacked by a man wielding what was described as a
>baseball bat or a tire iron. He escaped without being captured.

Yea this really pisses me off. I think the psycho-jerk got the idea
from the other psycho-jerk that stabbed the tennis player. In fact,
I'm sure that's where he got it from. I know its got to be highly
publicized (doesn't it??? :((((( but other a****holes get the idea
to do damage and this upsets me so!

anyway i am glad she was not more seriously hurt!!!! that is just
such a shame. I really wish there were not people like this (the
psycho-jerk of course) on this earth. God, Take them away!!!!

Carolyn "thanks for letting me rant in the blizzard of '94!"
Zaccaria

n.j.spera

Jan 7, 1994, 11:45:07 AM1/7/94
In article <CJ9M6...@cbnewsc.cb.att.com>, d...@cbnewsc.cb.att.com (Dave Vollman) writes:

|> >I watched the skating last night and could not believe it when they were talking
|> >about her being attacked. At the end of the men's competition, they had a
|> >short interview, and she said that she wanted everyone to know that she
|> >has not lost hope in people and that most people were worried about her and
|> >she wanted to set them at ease. She also said that skating was not the most
|> >important thing, and that if she couldn't skate she would be okay.
|>
|> First thing, did we REALLY need to see the videotape of the aftermath
|> of this?

How about 3 times and I haven't even watched last night's competition
yet. (Thurs is the night to conk out at 9.) First in the regular
news segment, then in the sports segment...and finally on the
national news....all because is was an ABC Exclusive and I was
watching an ABC station. Talk about overkill.

|> >Boy, she really has so much class and nerve. I think she is terrific.
|>
|> No kidding. I hope she can put the physical and psycological effects
|> behind her and do really well. I'm sure she can, given she has handled
|> the pressures of olympic competition.

I just hope she gets a chance to go to the Olymics.

Nancy
--
Nancy J. Spera, IMT Division # If I didn't know for a fact that P
Chevron Petroleum Technology Co. G Elvis was working in a donut shop E

KAD...@psuvm.psu.edu

Jan 7, 1994, 2:29:05 PM1/7/94
The latest I heard about Ms. Kerrigan was she would not compete
in the U.S. Championships, but her Olympic hopes were note ended
because special consideration was being...considered (or something
like that). I don't know what that would be, though.

Karen

Carol.S....@isl1.ri.cmu.edu

Jan 7, 1994, 3:13:04 PM1/7/94
Nancy could still compete at the Olympics without competeting this
week. There is a special dispensation the committee can give
her for medical reasons. At least this is what USA Today
reports.
Carol

Rick Kitchen

Jan 7, 1994, 4:12:38 PM1/7/94

This happened a couple of years ago with Todd Eldredge, when he was
injured and unable to compete at the US Nationals. He was a defending
US champion, and a medal-winner at the World championships the year before,
so he was allowed to be on the US team although he had not been able to
compete at Nationals. If he (or Nancy) had competed and lost, that was a
different situation, but since they didn't compete, they were still able to
be petitioned on.

The difference here, though, is that the US Figure Skating Association
could allow Todd to compete at the World championships, but for Nancy to
compete in the Olympics, it is up to the US Olympic Committee, which is a
different organization.

Sharon Thompson-Schill

Jan 8, 1994, 4:42:47 PM1/8/94

I heard about that too - does anyone know how that would work? Would
they assume she would have placed in the top 2 and let her go to the
Olympics, and bump someone else, or would they have to schedule some
special competition? When are the Olympics anyway -- Feb or March?
Also, I thought 2 years ago that there were 3 American women skaters --
is that just (very likely) a figment of my imagination? Have there
always been only 2 on the team (not counting the alternate)?

--
Sharon L. Thompson-Schill thom...@psych.Stanford.EDU

Brenda Matlin

Jan 9, 1994, 8:55:46 AM1/9/94

Watched the skating last night, since Cleveland had 2 ladies &
a pair entered. Our ladies placed 5th & 6th & our couple WON!
Nancy sat with her parenbts & coach in a loge watching all. My
heart went out to her. They Olympic Comittee held a meeting &
decided the she will goto the Olympics with the winner of last
night (Tanya) since she had won the Nationals & the World Meet
last month & was mature enough as was Tanya to represent the
USA. That 13 year old was a show stealer, but the critics said
she had a lot of learning yet to be ready for an Olympics.

I personally hope that Nancy can heal & gain back what she
has worked so hard to achieve. She is a Princess on Ice!

Brenda

Dave Vollman

Jan 10, 1994, 9:08:43 AM1/10/94

It all depends on how the federation bylaws are written. The USOC is
made up of federations for each sport. It sounds like the figure skating
federation can appoint an athlete to the olympic team if special circumstances
are found. In that case, the last member on the team is dropped or made
an alternate. Some federations have totally binding trials (if you get hurt,
shot, etc...., too bad), and others have totally nonbinding trials (cycling
was like that until 1990, when we FINALLY got those changed), where the
whole team is appointed. Any selection process has it's flaws, but it sounds
like the figure skaters have it right.

The winter games are at the end of Febuary, I think. The number of skaters
you can send depends on your results at the worlds, and I guess the US
women didn't doo well enough to get 3 skaters this year.

Don't get me started on the USOC and USCF, I've had enough problems with them.

I want barrel jumping as an olympic sport :-)

Rick Kitchen

Jan 10, 1994, 11:55:19 AM1/10/94

In a previous article, thom...@waldron.Stanford.EDU (Sharon Thompson-Schill) says:

>When are the Olympics anyway -- Feb or March?

The middle of February.

>Also, I thought 2 years ago that there were 3 American women skaters --
>is that just (very likely) a figment of my imagination? Have there
>always been only 2 on the team (not counting the alternate)?

The number of skaters a country has depends on how well skaters from
that country did in the previous year. If you get a medal (or, in the
case of pairs, top 5), you get to send three the next year. The US had
a *lousy* World championships last year, so we can only send 2 men, 2
women, and 1 dance team (but 3 pairs).

jill steinberg

Jan 10, 1994, 12:29:42 PM1/10/94
In article <2gkj86$4...@news.ysu.edu>, Rick Kitchen <ap...@yfn.ysu.edu> wrote:

[stuff deleted about allowing Nancy Kerrigan to compete in the Olympics]

>The difference here, though, is that the US Figure Skating Association
>could allow Todd to compete at the World championships, but for Nancy to
>compete in the Olympics, it is up to the US Olympic Committee, which is a
>different organization.

I read an article in the local newspaper here by a journalist who witnessed
Nancy getting hit in the knee by that guy. The writer pointed out that,
when Monica Selles (sp?) got stabbed, the tennis championship kept right
on going without her, thereby realizing exactly what the perpetrator of
the crime wanted--for Graf to win instead of Selles.

It's terrible that this new type violence against prominent sports figures
exists and will occur again. But competitions should be delayed and rules
created to allow top contenders to keep their place in competitions should
they be injured by maniacs who seek to ruin their careers.

Jill

szs...@chip.ucdavis.edu

Jan 10, 1994, 12:38:22 PM1/10/94
Rick Kitchen (ap...@yfn.ysu.edu) wrote:

: Another of thsoe "What's the world coming to?" things:

1/10/94:
News has stated that Nancy will be participating in the Olympics, that the
Olympic Committee has voted that she go. Nancy Kwan (?) the skater who,
due to her ranking at the US Nationals, would have gone if Nancy Kerrigan
hadn't been allowed to go, is not upset. She is happy about the showing
she made at the Nationals and will be going to Lillingham as an alternate
in the event Nancy Kerrigan can't compete.

Sharie

n.j.spera

Jan 10, 1994, 3:58:44 PM1/10/94
In article <CJFCz...@ucdavis.edu>, szs...@chip.ucdavis.edu writes:

|> 1/10/94:
|> News has stated that Nancy will be participating in the Olympics, that the
|> Olympic Committee has voted that she go. Nancy Kwan (?) the skater who,

It's Michelle Kwan (I think) a 13 year old from Southern California

|> due to her ranking at the US Nationals, would have gone if Nancy Kerrigan
|> hadn't been allowed to go, is not upset. She is happy about the showing
|> she made at the Nationals and will be going to Lillingham as an alternate
|> in the event Nancy Kerrigan can't compete.
|>
|> Sharie

Nancy

Mary Allison Wu

Jan 10, 1994, 6:15:00 PM1/10/94
d...@cbnewsc.cb.att.com (Dave Vollman) writes:

>I want barrel jumping as an olympic sport :-)

I want readnews as an olympic sport

(And the winner of the gold is CAZ!!!!!)

--
When I talk to people, they express concern that I might.. well,
you know.. reproduce.

Carolyn Zaccaria

Jan 11, 1994, 10:02:16 AM1/11/94
In article <mary.75...@eagle.csl.uiuc.edu> ma...@eagle.csl.uiuc.edu (Mary Allison Wu) writes:

>I want readnews as an olympic sport
>(And the winner of the gold is CAZ!!!!!)

Hi Mary! :) thanks for the laugh. Yea, i'm rats:challenged all right!!
Ain't no mountain high enough, ain't no valley low enough, ain't no
river wide enough, to keep me from getting to RATS.

Carolyn "Thanks, Diana!" Zaccaria

Sharon Thompson-Schill

Jan 11, 1994, 1:23:37 PM1/11/94

I agree with the thought, but in Seles' case, its been almost a year
and she still can't compete -- there really wouldn't be a way to put a
sport on hold for that long. When she does start playing again (she
just announced that she won't be ready for the Australian, so not for a
while I guess) I wonder where she will be seeded?

Marilyn R Wulfekuhler

Jan 12, 1994, 12:35:43 PM1/12/94
In article <94012.095...@auvm.american.edu> Joni Snyder <JSN...@auvm.american.edu> writes:
>My husband heard this morning that the police are questioning
>Tonya Harding's husband about the incident with Nancy Kerrigan.
>
>This was on a local Washington DC morning news show. Has anyone
>else heard this? I don't know whether they thought he did it or
>had someone else do it.

Yeah, they sort of made a big deal of it on the local Detroit news.
Lots of statements like "FBI are questioning those who stood to gain with
Kerrigan out of the competition" "Focusing on Tonya Harding's home state
of Oregon" "Tonya Harding's husband and bodyguard are being questioned".

They also talked to a local Detroit cop who confirmed that the FBI were
involved, but also made it a point to say that speculation on suspects
at this point was irresponsible.

I think it's a case (at this point anyway) of the media running off with
something that may not have any substance because they have nothing else
to report. Another thing I heard this morning was "Harding's husband
confirms that he's been questioned but denies any involvement". Sure makes
a person sound guilty, eh?

Marilyn Wulfekuhler

peg...@orca.wv.tek.com

Jan 12, 1994, 1:28:16 PM1/12/94
In article <2h1cdf$u...@msuinfo.cl.msu.edu>, wulf...@allouez.cps.msu.edu
(Marilyn R Wulfekuhler) writes:

> >My husband heard this morning that the police are questioning
> >Tonya Harding's husband about the incident with Nancy Kerrigan.
> >
> >This was on a local Washington DC morning news show. Has anyone
> >else heard this? I don't know whether they thought he did it or
> >had someone else do it.

It made the headlines on this morning's Oregonian. I haven't read the article
yet tho I had someone else tell me it was pretty interesting. According to
what I heard on the news this morning they are investigating her husband &
bodyguard but they don't have any reason to believe that she knew about it.
There is supposed to be evidence on tape.

On another note...she's always made a big deal about her asthma & how it can
affect her performance, well the paper shows a picture of her with a pack of
cigarettes in one hand & a smoke in the other...go figure.

Peggy

| Peggy Shock |
| Tektronix, Inc., Network Displays Division |
| PO Box 1000, MS 60-430, Wilsonville, OR 97070 |
| (503) 685-2339 - email: peg...@orca.WV.TEK.COM |

Joni Snyder

Jan 12, 1994, 9:50:49 AM1/12/94
My husband heard this morning that the police are questioning
Tonya Harding's husband about the incident with Nancy Kerrigan.

This was on a local Washington DC morning news show. Has anyone
else heard this? I don't know whether they thought he did it or
had someone else do it.

Joni

PS. I haven't been following this thread on RATS, so if this is old
news - sorry.

Laurie Gorden

Jan 12, 1994, 3:31:11 PM1/12/94
Joni Snyder <JSN...@auvm.american.edu> writes:

>Joni

I heard this too for the first time this morning on the radio...that they
were questioning Tonya's husband and her bodyguard too. I sure hope they
are not involved. What a horrible way for them to try to make sure Tonya
got to go. She has a great talent..she probably would have gone anyway with
Kerrigan. We shall see how this all turns out!

--
Laurie Never put off until tommorrow what you
lgo...@Infinet.com can put off forever!

AJ

Jan 12, 1994, 6:16:20 PM1/12/94
In article <44...@shaman.wv.tek.com>, <peg...@orca.wv.tek.com> wrote:
>In article <2h1cdf$u...@msuinfo.cl.msu.edu>, wulf...@allouez.cps.msu.edu
>(Marilyn R Wulfekuhler) writes:
>
>> >My husband heard this morning that the police are questioning
>> >Tonya Harding's husband about the incident with Nancy Kerrigan.
>> >
>> >This was on a local Washington DC morning news show. Has anyone
>> >else heard this? I don't know whether they thought he did it or
>> >had someone else do it.
>> >

>It made the headlines on this morning's Oregonian. I haven't read the article
>yet tho I had someone else tell me it was pretty interesting. According to
>what I heard on the news this morning they are investigating her husband &
>bodyguard but they don't have any reason to believe that she knew about it.
>There is supposed to be evidence on tape.

Here is what the claristuff is saying...
(PORTLAND)- U-S figure skating champ Tonya Harding continues to be
haunted by events outside the ice arena. Last night Harding answered
questions about a letter suggesting the attack on Nancy Kerrigan was a
conspiracy. An anonymous letter sent to K-O-I-N T-V in Portland named
Harding, husband Jeff, a bodyguard and others as conspirators in the
Kerrigan attack. Harding gave the letter to the F-B-I and said the
accusations were totally ludicrous.
(PORTLAND)- Portland figure skater Tonya Harding admitted last night
Detroit police are naming her a person of interest in the investigation
of last week's attack on Nancy Kerrigan. Harding says she's cooperating
with authorities and sees the investigation as something she will
overcome. Harding says her goal is an Olympic Gold Medal and nothing is
going to stop her from getting where she wants to be.

One wonders if they questioned Steffi Graf this way when Monica Seles
was stabbed... I feel sorry for Tonya...I seriously doubt she is
capable of this and I heard that her and her husband were on the outs
(note how they dont add her husband's name onto hers anymore).

>On another note...she's always made a big deal about her asthma & how it can
>affect her performance, well the paper shows a picture of her with a pack of
>cigarettes in one hand & a smoke in the other...go figure.

Did the paper say how old that picture was? I saw an article (in the
Oregonian) several months ago about how some reporter followed her around
and took some pics of her smoking once. In the article however, she (tonya)
says that it was a big mistake and only did it once while out with some
friends (can you say peer pressure?). I wonder if this is an old picture.
The article also talked about how she had a rough life (growing up dirt poor)
and that she was desperate for sponsors (at the time) and some guy called
her saying that he was a millionaire in california and would give her
something like $30,000....a few days later she found it was a hoax.

I can't say much about Tonya Harding personally....I grew up a mile away
from the rink she practices at (Clackamas Town Center) and I've seen her
many times. I even have friends that know her...they say she is uppity
about her skating, but works hard and would never conspire to hurt someone
to get a gold medal.

-aj

Susan Brooks

Jan 12, 1994, 1:01:33 PM1/12/94
In article <2gp2d2$l...@usenet.INS.CWRU.Edu> dz...@cleveland.Freenet.Edu (Brenda Matlin) writes:
>From: dz...@cleveland.Freenet.Edu (Brenda Matlin)
>Subject: Re: AMC: TAN: Nancy Kerrigan
>Date: 9 Jan 1994 13:55:46 GMT

>last month & was mature enough as was Tanya to represent the

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

>USA. That 13 year old was a show stealer, but the critics said
>she had a lot of learning yet to be ready for an Olympics.
>I personally hope that Nancy can heal & gain back what she
>has worked so hard to achieve. She is a Princess on Ice!
>Brenda

I just really wonder about that now - I heard an interview with Tanya on the
television last night and was just really turned off by her. She said that
she felt for Nancy and what happened, but she was glad it was not her. And
that the only thing she regretted was that she didn't have a fair chance to
compete with Nancy Kerrigan because of what happened. The incident denied her
the chance to compete one-on-one with Nancy to prove that she (Tanya) was the
better skater and she would prove to the world that she was the better skater
at the Olympics.

...Before the broadcast, the sportscaster said he felt that Tanya was coming
across as selfish, but to watch for ourselves. My immediate reaction was,
come on now, give Tanya a chance. But after seeing it, I had to agree. When
the interview was over, same sportscaster commented..."Whatever happened to
compassion?" Maybe it was the tone and attitude that Tanya used, but I
definitely was turned off.

Brenda Matlin

Jan 13, 1994, 8:08:18 AM1/13/94

B*TCH ON ICE is what I call Harding......Nice hair, so fine &
flowing (like a 220 line vs a bowl of water with her finger in it)

Via CNN this morning & Current Affair last night, they showed her
puffing away on a cigarette from old newsfeed, also about her
baseball bat to another driver of a car that slid into her &
her firearm that discharged in a parking garage (she said she
dropped it). Other skaters (Lisa Ervin) stateng that they wouldn't
want to be in a alley with her if she was mad.

Go on a diet & get a head check is what I hope she does soon,
before others are injured by her innocence.........

(Off my soapbox & felling better - Thanks)

Brenda

June Stacey Cummins

Jan 13, 1994, 12:18:02 PM1/13/94
In article <Susan.Brook...@AtlantaGA.NCR.COM>,

>television last night and was just really turned off by her. She said that
>she felt for Nancy and what happened, but she was glad it was not her. And
>that the only thing she regretted was that she didn't have a fair chance to
>compete with Nancy Kerrigan because of what happened. The incident denied h
>the chance to compete one-on-one with Nancy to prove that she (Tanya) was the
>better skater and she would prove to the world that she was the better skater
>at the Olympics.

I saw this and had the same reaction. And today the paper said her bodyguard
had confessed or something. I wouldn't put anything past this woman.
Talk about a poor sport.

June

peg...@orca.wv.tek.com

Jan 13, 1994, 11:18:07 AM1/13/94
In article <2h20c4$l...@gaia.ucs.orst.edu>, a...@cerridwen.ucs.orst.edu

(AJ) writes:
> I feel sorry for Tonya...I seriously doubt she is
> capable of this and I heard that her and her husband were on the outs
> (note how they dont add her husband's name onto hers anymore).

They mentioned last night that they were legally divorced las year after she
filed with Clackamas Co. Court for abuse charges and wanted a restraining
order. They are back together but the media didn't know whether or not they
had remarried.

> >On another note...she's always made a big deal about her asthma & how it can
> >affect her performance, well the paper shows a picture of her with a pack of
> >cigarettes in one hand & a smoke in the other...go figure.
>
> Did the paper say how old that picture was? I saw an article (in the
> Oregonian) several months ago about how some reporter followed her around
> and took some pics of her smoking once. In the article however, she (tonya)
> says that it was a big mistake and only did it once while out with some
> friends (can you say peer pressure?). I wonder if this is an old picture.
> The article also talked about how she had a rough life (growing up dirt poor)
> and that she was desperate for sponsors (at the time) and some guy called
> her saying that he was a millionaire in california and would give her
> something like $30,000....a few days later she found it was a hoax.

According to the caption the picture had been taken the day before as her &
her husband were leaving her bodyguard's house. They also mentioned last
night that she came from a "middle class" family.

The headlines this morning say that the bodyguard has confessed but I haven't
had a chance to read the article yet. The local 5:00 news devoted nearly the
first 30 mins. of their broadcast last night to this and Tonya & her problems
& personal life. I really feel sorry for celebrities that have their lives
so exposed like this. My privacy is very important to me and I'd get really
upset if people followed me around like this.

LOU...@wsuvm1.csc.wsu.edu

Jan 13, 1994, 3:10:44 PM1/13/94
In article <2h3h42$k...@usenet.INS.CWRU.Edu>
Agreed totally! I have missed all the TV on this but have been reading the
newspapers. As far as her smoking cigs and expecting sympathy for asthma,
the Spokane paper showed a picture of her leaving her bodyguard's home with
that slimeball pig she calls her husband only when it's convenient. In one hand
was a pack of Marlboro's, in the other a lit cig.

Even if she had no knowledge at all about this sordid, petty little plot, I
hope she gets the boo-ing of her life in Norway!

Kathie *no tolerance or understanding in this instance* Meyer

Karin Coffee

Jan 13, 1994, 5:30:48 PM1/13/94
In article <2h20c4$l...@gaia.ucs.orst.edu> a...@cerridwen.ucs.orst.edu (AJ) writes:
>In article <44...@shaman.wv.tek.com>, <peg...@orca.wv.tek.com> wrote:

>>It made the headlines on this morning's Oregonian. I haven't read the article
>>yet tho I had someone else tell me it was pretty interesting. According to
>>what I heard on the news this morning they are investigating her husband &
>>bodyguard but they don't have any reason to believe that she knew about it.
>>There is supposed to be evidence on tape.
>
>Here is what the claristuff is saying...
>
>>On another note...she's always made a big deal about her asthma & how it can
>>affect her performance, well the paper shows a picture of her with a pack of
>>cigarettes in one hand & a smoke in the other...go figure.
>
>Did the paper say how old that picture was? I saw an article (in the
>Oregonian) several months ago about how some reporter followed her around
>and took some pics of her smoking once. In the article however, she (tonya)
>says that it was a big mistake and only did it once while out with some
>friends (can you say peer pressure?). I wonder if this is an old picture.
>The article also talked about how she had a rough life (growing up dirt poor)
>and that she was desperate for sponsors (at the time) and some guy called
>her saying that he was a millionaire in california and would give her
>something like $30,000....a few days later she found it was a hoax.

I believe it was a current picture. I'll have to go look at the caption
again, but it was Tonya and her husband leaving her bodyguard's house, and
I think it was taken this week. I thought that looked like a pack of
cigarettes in her hand, I didn't notice the one in her other hand. go
figure.

Karin

Brenda Matlin

Jan 13, 1994, 6:25:28 PM1/13/94

Via the 6pm news, they announced that 4 people were arrested.
Tanya's exhusband (they divorced in August but reside together),
her bodyguard, a Derek Smith from Phoenix & the "hit man" from
Oregon (who tired to get Nancy in Boston, but missed her because
he was snowed out!!) They haven't received ocnfirmation if
Tanya was also arrested, but was under suspicion due to past
police records showing her access to "items of danger" and
interviews on her mental balance from former coaches & co-
skaters, that said she was feared, as well as an unstable loner.

Now to CNN at 7pm when they do their TOP STORY (Iwhich has to
be this).

Brenda

Beth Ann Reardon

Jan 12, 1994, 6:50:07 PM1/12/94
I've recently heard that the Tonya Harding's husband and body guard
hired someone to do this to Nancy Kerrigan. I guess that this was
suppose to eliminate Nancy so that Tonya could have the come back she
so desired!! What is this world coming to?? Didn't they have enuf
confidence that she could win on her own that they would do a thng like
this!

Just my opinion.

dlbu...@kean.ucs.mun.ca

Jan 13, 1994, 5:11:08 PM1/13/94
a...@cerridwen.ucs.orst.edu (AJ) wrote:

>I can't say much about Tonya Harding personally....I grew up a mile away
>from the rink she practices at (Clackamas Town Center) and I've seen her
>many times. I even have friends that know her...they say she is uppity
>about her skating, but works hard and would never conspire to hurt someone
>to get a gold medal.

>-aj

(This is not directed at aj's comments, but at the overall attitude of
America towards its skaters)

On this note, I'd like to point out something that seems to elude the
American media and the figure skaters themselves...they are not the only
ones in the world!!! Tonya Harding doesn't have a chance at that gold
medal. If Nancy K. is skating her best, then I don't think Tonya can beat
her. Further, there are some fabulous female skaters from other countries
who are just as good and better than Tonya and maybe Nancy. Canada's Karen
Preston and Josee Chuinard (sp?) are as good as Tonya. And Surya Bonali (
sp?) of Frnace can beat them all hands down on technical ability alone.
What about the Chinese skater...Lu Chen? She is a force to be reckoned
with. And then there are the Russian skaters, and the ladies from all
those eastern European countries. I think Tonya is really arrogant to
think she can beat them all...there's nothing wrong with a good healty
competitive attitude, but she shouldn't kid herself or the American skating
fans. Another example - look at all the hype the media created over that
pairs team...Rocky someone and another person...Yes, this pair was good,
but if you listened to the American reports you'd have believed they would
grab the gold hands down. They didn't have a chance against Canada's
Brasseur and Eisler, or the Russian teams. Not in the same league at all.
Unfortunately, I think the same will prove true for Tonya Harding. I just
don't think she's in the race for the medals. A top ten finish, more than
likely, but not a medal. Sorry if I've offended Harding fans. It's just
my opinion.

---
Deb

Janet D. Tilander

Jan 13, 1994, 7:25:14 PM1/13/94
In article <2h3h42$k...@usenet.INS.CWRU.Edu>, dz...@cleveland.Freenet.Edu (Brenda Matlin) writes:

|> B*TCH ON ICE is what I call Harding......Nice hair, so fine &
|> flowing (like a 220 line vs a bowl of water with her finger in it)
|>
|> Via CNN this morning & Current Affair last night, they showed her
|> puffing away on a cigarette from old newsfeed, also about her
|> baseball bat to another driver of a car that slid into her &
|> her firearm that discharged in a parking garage (she said she
|> dropped it). Other skaters (Lisa Ervin) stateng that they wouldn't
|> want to be in a alley with her if she was mad.
|>
|> Go on a diet & get a head check is what I hope she does soon,
^^^^^^^^^^^
|> before others are injured by her innocence.........

What does her size have to do with anything? While she may be a little snot,
she is strong! She is all muscle! You can't hurl yourself around like that
if you are overweight. I read in USA TODAY today, 1/13, that she weighs 96
pounds.

She needs a head check, but she don't need no diet.

--
Janet "I weigh too much but I'm nice" Tilander
Chevron Overseas Petroleum

Sharon Thompson-Schill

Jan 14, 1994, 12:35:15 PM1/14/94
In article <1994Jan1...@seashell.chvpkh.chevron.com> jj...@seashell.chvpkh.chevron.com (Janet D. Tilander) writes:

>What does her size have to do with anything? While she may be a little snot,
>she is strong! She is all muscle! You can't hurl yourself around like that
>if you are overweight. I read in USA TODAY today, 1/13, that she weighs 96
>pounds.
>
>She needs a head check, but she don't need no diet.

Really -- 96 pounds -- I agree with you that she's not fat, but muscle
weighs more than fat, and her upper body is very muscular. Is she
really short? ^^^^

If not, 96 pounds seems very unlikely.

Vicki Farmer

Jan 14, 1994, 5:11:13 PM1/14/94
In article <2h6l4j$p...@nntp2.Stanford.EDU> Sharon Thompson-Schill,

thom...@waldron.Stanford.EDU writes:
> Really -- 96 pounds -- I agree with you that she's not fat, but muscle
> weighs more than fat, and her upper body is very muscular. Is she
> really short? ^^^^
>
> If not, 96 pounds seems very unlikely.

I heard that she's 5'1", and benches more than her weight, which is
respectable for a woman who is a bodybuilder. Heaven knows I would like
to be able to bench more than my weight.

Now, about the 96 pound part, well, she's 2 inches shorter than me, and
if you give 5 pounds per inch, that's about right, I guess, but since
she's a professional athlete and *does* appear to be quite muscular, I
would expect her to have a lower BF% than me, so one might expect her to
be a little heavier than 96 pounds (muscle is heavy). But maybe not. Oh
well.

Vicki

ahel...@umiami.ir.miami.edu

Jan 14, 1994, 4:05:19 PM1/14/94
In article <2h6l4j$p...@nntp2.Stanford.EDU>, thom...@waldron.Stanford.EDU (Sharon Thompson-Schill) writes:

[About Tonya Harding's weight]

> Really -- 96 pounds -- I agree with you that she's not fat, but muscle
> weighs more than fat, and her upper body is very muscular. Is she
> really short? ^^^^
>
> If not, 96 pounds seems very unlikely.

Yeah, looks to me like her thighs alone weigh about 96 pounds. The woman has
some serious thunder thighs on her! I couldn't really pay much attention to
her skating on the news footage this week (I've never seen her before this)
because of focusing on those large legs.

Hmmm, unkind remarks on a TAN of a soap discussion--I've reached a new low.
But then again, it's only January :).

Yo "skinny thighs, fat head" Helmers

Vicki Farmer

Jan 14, 1994, 5:25:07 PM1/14/94
In article <1994Jan1...@seashell.chvpkh.chevron.com> Janet D.

Tilander, jj...@seashell.chvpkh.chevron.com writes:
> What does her size have to do with anything? While she may be a little
snot,
> she is strong! She is all muscle! You can't hurl yourself around like
that
> if you are overweight. I read in USA TODAY today, 1/13, that she
weighs 96
> pounds.
>
> She needs a head check, but she don't need no diet.

What you said! She's not a little, frail, waif-model; she has some
muscle mass. I have no idea what kind of person she is, and I hate to
see a world-class athlete (or anyone else) smoking, but I respect the
work that it took for her to achieve the level of physical development
that she has. The tyranny of the little, frail, waif-model mentality in
this country has got to go.

Let's hear it for physically powerful women!

Vicki

jill steinberg

Jan 14, 1994, 6:20:59 PM1/14/94
In article <1994Jan14.1...@umiami.ir.miami.edu>,

Wow, you all are harsh! I lift weights and I can bench more than my weight.
I'm slim, yet my legs are not what you'd call twig-like. I'm just amazed
that anyone would criticize a woman who looks so strong and fit! What's
the alternative, anyway? The Kate Moss thin-to-the-point-of-looking-sickly
types? ;-)

Jill

jill steinberg

Jan 14, 1994, 6:22:51 PM1/14/94
In article <2h7643$c...@elroy.jpl.nasa.gov>,
Vicki Farmer <far...@oak.jpl.nasa.gov> wrote:

>> What does her size have to do with anything? While she may be a little
>snot,
>> she is strong! She is all muscle! You can't hurl yourself around like
>that
>> if you are overweight. I read in USA TODAY today, 1/13, that she
>weighs 96
>> pounds.
>>
>> She needs a head check, but she don't need no diet.
>
>What you said! She's not a little, frail, waif-model; she has some
>muscle mass. I have no idea what kind of person she is, and I hate to
>see a world-class athlete (or anyone else) smoking, but I respect the
>work that it took for her to achieve the level of physical development
>that she has. The tyranny of the little, frail, waif-model mentality in
>this country has got to go.
>
>Let's hear it for physically powerful women!

Before reading your post, I just posted something similar!! :)

Jill