ALL Pure soap perfection (Hitler satire video)

MarkH

Jan 24, 2009, 10:04:21 AM1/24/09
This satire video by Chris Dunn takes the premise of: "What if Adolf
Hitler were a soap fan, and was in charge of programming the Daytime
Emmys. How would he react to the current state of the broadcast (no
one wants to air it), and to the state of the genre itself? A "strong
language" advisory is in effect.

http://www.overstream.net/view.php?oid=e2n1etr6ivt9

I have watched it twice and WEPT with laughter. It is a little bit
"inside", so I have a few lines of explanation for some of the jokes
below. I hope this doesn't offend anyone, but I know we don't all
know the names, etc.

Embedded in the confection of Hitler's final days, this is just
perfection. Dammit, I'll say it: BRILLIANT!

Q: Kodak and Radio City are booked -
A: these are the conventional venues for the Daytime Emmys

Q: Who airs it? ABC? CBS? We're trying to get a webcast -
A: No entity has agreed to air the Emmys yet, and not even a webcast
has been proposed. By all accounts, it seems the Daytime Emmys are
dead this year.

Q: Will anyone who Tivos soaps leave the room?
A: Those who do not watch live, but record their soaps, are thought to
be major contributors to the ratings demise of the soap opera (and
network TV in general).

Q: Basic cable has rooms for the whores from Orange County?
A: This undoubtedly refers to the show "Real Housewives of Orange
County" on Bravo. That such dreck might be broadcast, but not the
Emmys, may in fact be a sign of the apocalypse.

Q: Let's put it on radio...honor our roots.
A: The concept of "soap" opera began on radio in early 20th century.

Q: ABC, put them on in the nude, Frons always thinks with his d*ck.
A: This no doubt refers to the youth- and sex-appeal bias that ABC
head of daytime Brian Frons often seems to use in his soaps...often to
the detriment of history, character, or reality-based storytelling.

Q: OJ was the death of us.
A: A straw man, the prolonged OJ trial is often blamed for chasing
away daytime viewers...breaking them of the habit. (A ratings
analysis does NOT support this, but it is often offered)

Q: Michael Logan and Carolyn Hinsey.
A: Two soap columnists from TV Guide and (formerly) SOD/SOW
respectively. Hinsey still writes her column "It is Only My Opinion"
for SOD, and appears weekly in the New York Daily News.

Q: Those bloggers.
A: There has been an explosion of online soap blogs, including Roger
Newcomb's We Love Soaps, DaytimeConfidential, MarlenaDelacroix, Tom
Casiello, Sara Bibel, Lynn Liccardo and many others. Most scoops are
now broken by the bloggers first. The "ascendancy" of the bloggers
may most strongly have been demonstrated, recently, when GL invited
five of them (and not the soap press) to spend a day with the show.

Q: Bold and the Beautiful does the same story for twelve years
running.
A: (Ridge, Brooke, Taylor, Stephanie, Eric...)

Q: All My Kids does a tornado...do they think it is 1985?
A: All My Children recent did a sweeps stunt tornado story. They
previously did one in 1985.

Q: Don't cry Julie, I liked the Tornado.
A: Julie Hanan Carruthers is the EP of All My Children (at least for a
little while longer, until her rumored replacement Lisa Hesser takes
over)

Q: When I turn on my television, just seeing John and Marlena makes me
know everything will be alright.
A: Of course, these stalwart veterans from Days of Our Lives were
fired yesterday. They are gone. This is almost a direct quote from
several blog posts.

wtfa...@yahoo.com

Jan 24, 2009, 10:32:03 AM1/24/09
> Q: Basic cable has rooms for the whores from Orange County?
> A: This undoubtedly refers to the show "Real Housewives of Orange
> County" on Bravo.  That such dreck might be broadcast, but not the
> Emmys, may in fact be a sign of the apocalypse.

I like the Real Housewives; it is entertaining.... Every soap with
the exception of Y&R no longer is. And the emmys were usually really
shoddily produced; they'd have a great one every five years, then
they'd hire Dick Clark back.

> Q: Don't cry Julie, I liked the Tornado.
> A: Julie Hanan Carruthers is the EP of All My Children (at least for a
> little while longer, until her rumored replacement Lisa Hesser takes
> over)

Passions Lisa Hesser?! No way! Granted, Julie Hanan Carruthers is
absolute shit and always has been, but that was the best replacement
they could get? Why is Wendy Riche still unemployed 9 years later?!
Keep in mind I liked Passions, but AMC is a totally different show
than Passions and should be treated as such.

Terry Pulliam Burd

Jan 24, 2009, 9:28:26 PM1/24/09
On Sat, 24 Jan 2009 07:04:21 -0800 (PST), MarkH
<MarkH_s...@hotmail.com> fired up random neurons and synapses to
opine:

>This satire video by Chris Dunn takes the premise of: "What if Adolf
>Hitler were a soap fan, and was in charge of programming the Daytime
>Emmys. How would he react to the current state of the broadcast (no
>one wants to air it), and to the state of the genre itself? A "strong
>language" advisory is in effect.
>
>http://www.overstream.net/view.php?oid=e2n1etr6ivt9

<snip>

OMG, that was absolutely priceless! Thank you! After an absolute BEAR
of a month at work, having this crackup was just what I needed!

Terry Pulliam Burd

--

"Sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here."

- Jack Nicholson in "As Good as it Gets"

To reply, replace "meatloaf" with "cox"

MarkH

Jan 25, 2009, 9:07:41 AM1/25/09
On Jan 24, 10:32 am, wtfan...@yahoo.com wrote:

> Passions Lisa Hesser?!  No way!  Granted, Julie Hanan Carruthers is
> absolute shit and always has been, but that was the best replacement
> they could get?  Why is Wendy Riche still unemployed 9 years later?!
> Keep in mind I liked Passions, but AMC is a totally different show
> than Passions and should be treated as such.

Yes, what is her new (married) name? I keep forgetting.

Anyway, she was hired by AMC in a subsidiary role to current EP Julie
Hanan Curruthers (JHC). This is on the strength of the well produced
GH Night Shift 2 she did this summer.

Canadian TV Guide says, however, that soon is going to take a "leave"
of some sort, and Lisa will step in. Except JHC will never come
back. Let's see if that is true. AT THE VERY LEAST, they are
rattling JHC's cage, by installing a likely successor so nearby in her
midst. I understand Hesser actually has some history with the show.

MarkH

Jan 25, 2009, 9:08:20 AM1/25/09
On Jan 24, 9:28 pm, Terry Pulliam Burd <ntpull...@meatloaf.net> wrote:

> OMG, that was absolutely priceless! Thank you! After an absolute BEAR
> of a month at work, having this crackup was just what I needed!
>
> Terry Pulliam Burd

I am glad you liked. My thoughts too. It has been so long since I
have had such an earnest belly laugh.

Grace Noble

Jan 25, 2009, 4:51:13 PM1/25/09

"MarkH" <MarkH_s...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> This satire video by Chris Dunn takes the premise of: "What if Adolf
> Hitler were a soap fan, and was in charge of programming the Daytime
> Emmys. How would he react to the current state of the broadcast (no
> one wants to air it), and to the state of the genre itself? A "strong
> language" advisory is in effect.
>
> http://www.overstream.net/view.php?oid=e2n1etr6ivt9

That is priceless! Dunn is a genius!