GH: FGC Ruby Speaks

Ronald Ross

Jul 25, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/25/95

<FGC Ruby ON>

(Sarcastically) Anyone else want to move in over here at Kelly's?
I'll be the first to help a friend in need, but this is getting
ridiculous! I'm running out of rooms. Since Mac and Luke have
their own "eating establishments", I should just give up the diner
and open up a hotel. I could give the PC Hotel a run for it's money.
The only problem is, where else in PC can you find chili as good as
mine?

<FGC Ruby OFF>

I've posted as FGC Ruby before, but I guess this is my first
"Official" time. I'll be posting more in the future.

Ronald

Thomas Yohn

Jul 25, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/25/95
In article j...@maui.cc.odu.edu, Ronald Ross <rar...@barbados.cc.odu.edu> writes:
::
:: <FGC Ruby ON>

::
:: (Sarcastically) Anyone else want to move in over here at Kelly's?
:: I'll be the first to help a friend in need, but this is getting
:: ridiculous! I'm running out of rooms. Since Mac and Luke have
:: their own "eating establishments", I should just give up the diner
:: and open up a hotel. I could give the PC Hotel a run for it's money.
:: The only problem is, where else in PC can you find chili as good as
:: mine?

Which makes me wonder, 'How many rooms
do you have upstairs, Ruby?' And, are
any of those people paying rent?

toomces

Cher

Jul 27, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/27/95

And Kelly's is still a business. Who in their right mind
would give keys to their business to everyone renting a
room? There's obviously got to be another entrance to
the apartments, yet everyone always seems to come in and
out through Kelly's. Like the other night when Lily went
after Sonny. She was wandering around a closed Kelly's and
then went out and locked the door behind her. No one but
Ruby should have access to the business after hours.

Shouldn't their be some health regulations preventing
people using a restaurant as a thoroughfare?

--> Cher

PLR8551

Jul 27, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/27/95
Cher said:

>>Who in their right mind
>>would give keys to their business to everyone renting a
>>room? There's obviously got to be another entrance to
>>the apartments, yet everyone always seems to come in and
>>out through Kelly's

I remember, from when Karen and Jagger were living at Kelly's, that there
was an alley exit. I also am sure I remember the fact being established
that there were only three rooms for rent upstairs at the most. If I
could figure out how to clone my rooms like Ruby apparently is, I'd have
the house of my dreams! :-) (But I *WOULDN'T* rent out rooms to Luke or
Miguel!)

Pat Ryan in CA

JUS...@delphi.com

Jul 29, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/29/95

Quoting clindenm from a message in rec.arts.tv.soaps.abc
>And Kelly's is still a business. Who in their right mind

>would give keys to their business to everyone renting a
>room? There's obviously got to be another entrance to
>the apartments, yet everyone always seems to come in and
>out through Kelly's. Like the other night when Lily went
>after Sonny. She was wandering around a closed Kelly's and
>then went out and locked the door behind her. No one but
>Ruby should have access to the business after hours.
>Shouldn't their be some health regulations preventing
>people using a restaurant as a thoroughfare?

And Ruby is such a stickler about people using her phone! You can't use
thephone (to m,ake local calls which probably cost nada) but feel free to
wander around at night and help yourself to food in the kitchen. Go figure.

Justene in La Canada, CA

Tim Holt

Aug 7, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/7/95
Why does everyone hate Miguel? He is one of my favorite characters
on the show. Granted, he needs a good story line, maybe even a life...
Speaking of getting a life, what happened to Amy's?
Back to Miguel. Maybe y'all are judging him by that fiasco with
Silly-I mean Lily. Lily and Sonny belong in Puerto Rico.
BTW, what is wrong with the pairing of Brenda and Miguel?

Just my opinion. Please don't throw any flames.

Robin

MTCzajka

Aug 7, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/7/95
>Why does everyone hate Miguel? He is one of my favorite characters
>on the show.

>Robin

I don't hate him either. I think it's just the Miguel haters are more
vocal and tend to drown out those who don't dislike him. So those
in the second group just don't bother trying.

Margueri...@ChicagoIL.NCR.COM

Thomas Yohn

Aug 7, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/7/95
In article 4...@dallas1.connect.net, Tim Holt <Ho...@connect.net> writes:
::Why does everyone hate Miguel?

Hi Robin,

Well, I don't like Miguel because the character
is too perfect, has no depth, and is played
by a singer, not an actor. I can't stand watching
the character because of the constant hair flipping
that the actor does. (It hurts my neck to watch him.)
The actor mumbles, so I don't have any idea
what he is saying. He doesn't have any
idea how to react to any scene. He doesn't know
how to emote, so there is no telling what
the character thinks.

I do think he's good looking. So, if they stand
him in a corner for an hour, that's fine with me.

He is one of my favorite characters

::on the show. Granted, he needs a good story line, maybe even a life...

He can't act.

::Speaking of getting a life, what happened to Amy's?

::Back to Miguel. Maybe y'all are judging him by that fiasco with
::Silly-I mean Lily. Lily and Sonny belong in Puerto Rico.

No. It's because Ricky Martin can't act.
::BTW, what is wrong with the pairing of Brenda and Miguel?

Uh... Ricky Martin can't act.
::
::Just my opinion. Please don't throw any flames.

No flames thrown. It's just that Ricky Martin can't act.

toomces
::
::Robin
::

Joan0328

Aug 7, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/7/95
In article <405p28$n...@jethro.Corp.Sun.COM>, hit...@yohn.corp.sun.com
(Thomas Yohn) writes:

> No flames thrown. It's just that Ricky Martin can't act.
>
> toomces

What I think you're trying to say, babe, is that the guy can'r act.
Right?
--Tante Joan

S. A. Wilson

Aug 7, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/7/95

:

:Just my opinion. Please don't throw any flames.
:
:Robin
:

We are judging the character by the simple fact that
in our opinions Ricky Martin CANNOT act. And it is
a pain to watch someone being shoved down our respective
throats who CANNOT act -- especially when the show is
full of other excellent talent whose airtime is being
usurped by that black hole, and especially when there
are tons of far more deserving folks out their who
are unemployed while a no talent wonder is employed.

The fiasco with Lily, Sonny, and Brenda, is just that
a FIASCO because Ricky Martin SUCKS, pure and simple.
He cannot put forth one single emotion to make us
believe what he is feeling, he stumbles over his lines,
and his singing leaves much to be desired. If his
popularity, or his forte -- which I do not see exists --
lies on Ricky being "an international singing sensation" --
choke -- then that is what he should be doing, just touring
for his "adorning fans" and leave the show, and thus
improve the show.

--
Out of college, money spent || Sally A. Wilson
See no future, pay no rent || RATS: Spudstress

S. A. Wilson

Aug 7, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/7/95
In article <405ph7$p...@newsbf02.news.aol.com>,

MTCzajka <mtcz...@aol.com> wrote:
>>Why does everyone hate Miguel? He is one of my favorite characters
>>on the show.
>
>>Robin
>
>I don't hate him either. I think it's just the Miguel haters are more
>vocal and tend to drown out those who don't dislike him. So those
>in the second group just don't bother trying.

Well there seems to be more folks, a vast majority I would say 9 of
10 who agree that Ricky CANNOT ACT -- as my dear erstwhile beloved
said -- and since there is an overwhelming majority who belive such
of course those who think he is the greatest thing since Swiss Cheese
are drowned out. The sad thing is that despite the fact that we are in the
vast majority are voices are not heard by TPTB and Ricky is afforded
a good deal of on air time.

I still say to make everyone happy just send him over to DULL
the character and "actor" -- loosely applied that is -- fits
with the show and those who are on that show, that way the
Ricky fans can have him, and GH can be cleaned of his presence
making us in the majority VERY VERY HAPPY.

>Margueri...@ChicagoIL.NCR.COM

Kathleen R Weiss

Aug 7, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/7/95

On 7 Aug 1995, MTCzajka wrote:

> >Why does everyone hate Miguel? He is one of my favorite characters
> >on the show.
>
> >Robin
>
> I don't hate him either. I think it's just the Miguel haters are more
> vocal and tend to drown out those who don't dislike him. So those
> in the second group just don't bother trying.
>

> Margueri...@ChicagoIL.NCR.COM

No, I don't think so. Even we lurkers are brought out by our hatred of
this character!

A. Huret

Aug 8, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/8/95
In rec.arts.tv.soaps.abc sal...@netcom.com (S. A. Wilson) said:

>In article <405klu$4...@dallas1.connect.net>, Tim Holt <Ho...@connect.net>

>wrote:

>:Why does everyone hate Miguel?

>:BTW, what is wrong with the pairing of Brenda and Miguel?
>:
>:Just my opinion. Please don't throw any flames.

>We are judging the character by the simple fact that in our opinions Ricky

>Martin CANNOT act. And it is a pain to watch someone being shoved down our

>respective throats who CANNOT act -- especially when the show is full of
other
>excellent talent whose airtime is being usurped by that black hole, and
>especially when there are tons of far more deserving folks out their who
are
>unemployed while a no talent wonder is employed.

^^^^^^^^^^

Hey !! i resemble that remark !! <grin> ;) ;) ;)

hipstress (still pounding the pavement BUT would rather see MigHell DIE
than be cast as his replacement -- feh, blech, gag . . .)

Thomas Yohn

Aug 8, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/8/95
In article s...@newsbf02.news.aol.com, joan...@aol.com (Joan0328) writes:
::In article <405p28$n...@jethro.Corp.Sun.COM>, hit...@yohn.corp.sun.com

Well, I did see him try to act once.
But, he couldn't do it.

toomces
:: --Tante Joan

Bennett Greenberg

Aug 8, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/8/95
to hit...@yohn.corp.sun.com
If they'd have Miguel singing more, maybe people wouldn't hate him so
much.. I don't know about his not being able to act... They've never
really given him a story line to pursue, except for in P.R. with
searching for his kid. But P.R. was mostly romance & mush....

The only problem that I see with Miguel & Brenda is that they ae both on
the rebound, and we all know that most rebound relationships do NOT work
out. Otherwise they might be an okay couple...

I've got one question about Brenda & Miguel, Are they EVER going to
actually shoot their Music Video... And will there be music or just "sex"
on the dance floor.

Susan

A. Huret

Aug 8, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/8/95
In rec.arts.tv.soaps.abc Bennett Greenberg <ben...@shadow.net> said:

>If they'd have Miguel singing more, maybe people wouldn't hate him so
much..

uh . . . i don't think so. i don't think his singing is enough to
compensate for his lack of visual presence and acting ability.

>I don't know about his not being able to act... They've never really given
him a
>story line to pursue, except for in P.R. with searching for his kid. But
P.R.
>was mostly romance & mush....

you say you "don't know about his not being able to act" and then follow it
up with the lack-of-storyline defense. RM was hired to fulfill ABCs
commitment to bring Hispanic/Latin actors into the limelight -- with that
kind of backing, he was hardly brought on to sit on the back burner.
<though that *could* have interesting implications . . .>

i'm *not* flaming you, but if you are going to defend the character, give
us EXAMPLES of what acting talent you see that the rest of us are
overlooking. it is clear that most people rushing to MigHell's defense can
offer nothing except for "he's trying" and as we have clearly stated, GH is
*not* finishing school -- at least not after 2 loooooooong years.

>The only problem that I see with Miguel & Brenda is that they ae both on
the
>rebound, and we all know that most rebound relationships do NOT work out.

>Otherwise they might be an okay couple...

again, why ?? is it the charismatic way MigHell lights up the screen ??
(No!) --- is it the clear way MigHell enunciates and emotes his lines ??
(No again!) hmmm . . . because he is playing a man and she a woman ??
(Doesn't cut it). if we are missing something, *please* clue in the rest
of us who are obviously not watching the wreckage closely enough.

>I've got one question about Brenda & Miguel, Are they EVER going to
actually
>shoot their Music Video

god, we *hope* not !!

>... And will there be music or just "sex" on the dance
>floor.

are you defending him by this statement ?? sounds like the complaint the
rest of us have with him. :)

again, nothing wrong with defending a character you like, but please, do
that ---- DEFEND them --- give us reasons -- challenge ours. that is what
a debate is all about.

peace, love, and the end of MigHell . . .

hipstress, CIC MHA "Off With His Head"

~name

Aug 8, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/8/95
<3v9mch$g...@newsbf02.news.aol.com> <405klu$4...@dallas1.connect.net>

In article <405klu$4...@dallas1.connect.net>, Tim Holt <Ho...@connect.net>

says:

>Why does everyone hate Miguel? He is one of my favorite characters

>on the show. Granted, he needs a good story line, maybe even a life...
>Speaking of getting a life, what happened to Amy's?
>Back to Miguel. Maybe y'all are judging him by that fiasco with
>Silly-I mean Lily. Lily and Sonny belong in Puerto Rico.

>BTW, what is wrong with the pairing of Brenda and Miguel?
>
>Just my opinion. Please don't throw any flames.
>

>Robin
>

> Robin,

I agree with you completely. I like Miguel. He's one of the few
sensitive guys left in the world. I think Brenda should be with Miguel.
Sonny was not good enough for her. He lied to her, why should she pass
up the chance to be with an honest, sweet guy!
And if I have to see or hear Lily one more time, I'm going to
throw up!!! She makes me sick. She keeps saying nothing happened with
Sonny in Puerto Rico, it's not because SHE didn't try!
I say everyone should just let Brenda and Miguel be! If they
want to be together, so be it!

Donna

:crp:

Aug 9, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/9/95
MTCzajka <mtcz...@aol.com> wrote:
}>Why does everyone hate Miguel? He is one of my favorite characters
}>on the show.
}>Robin
}I don't hate him either. I think it's just the Miguel haters are more
}vocal and tend to drown out those who don't dislike him. So those
}in the second group just don't bother trying.
}Margueri...@ChicagoIL.NCR.COM

Notice that Marguerite doesn't actually say "i like", only "dont dislike".
I can't believe i'm about to do this , but:
He has gotten better. He doesn't mumble every line, just every third.
And with his haircut, the hairflip is down to every hour instead of minute.

Damn, can't believe i just did that :<

PLR8551

Aug 9, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/9/95
Donna said against Lily:

>>She keeps saying nothing happened with Sonny in Puerto Rico, it's not
because SHE didn't try!

Yes, but Sonny wouldn't let it happen, so it didn't happen. Miguel also
could have/should have backed off. If he's supposed to be so 'sensitive'
why couldn't he have 'sensed' Brenda's raw wounded emotions? Huh? Huh?
Why is it, I repeat from a previous post, that the 'outlaw' is the only
one here with any backbone? And as far as Brenda attacking Lily,
obviously Brenda is totally irrational where Lily is concerned for
whatever reason. The only way to respond to this kind of irrationality
(if one has the strength) is just walk away (are you listening, Lily?).
Getting into a discussion or fight is just a waste or time as well as
possibly dangerous!

Pat Ryan in CA

Joan0328

Aug 9, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/9/95
In article <406cuv$p...@jethro.Corp.Sun.COM>, hit...@yohn.corp.sun.com
(Thomas Yohn) writes:

> Well, I did see him try to act once.
> But, he couldn't do it.

He'd sprain his brain.
Tante Joan, Keeper of the
Long Knives

Thomas Yohn

Aug 9, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/9/95
In article 7...@newsbf02.news.aol.com, joan...@aol.com (Joan0328) writes:
::In article <406cuv$p...@jethro.Corp.Sun.COM>, hit...@yohn.corp.sun.com

::(Thomas Yohn) writes:
::
::> Well, I did see him try to act once.
::> But, he couldn't do it.
::>
::>
::
::He'd sprain his brain.

He has a brain?
toomces, Keeper of the Shears

Joan0328

Aug 9, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/9/95
In article <DCyxC...@murdoch.acc.Virginia.EDU>,
jw...@amazon.evsc.Virginia.EDU (Julia Hayden) writes:

>I'm looking forward to having a great rivalry develop between the two
>women. I hope it's a smart, witty, painful jabbing rivalry which spills
>over into all aspects of their life, and causes ripples and reverbrations
>throughout the town.

Me, too, but I'm afraid wit won't be present for much of it. Brenda is
fast losing any ground to stand on, and she tends to flail and lash out
without thinking when backed into a corner. The last well-placed, witty
arrows
were released during the confrontation in Lily's room at Kelly's.

>I'm not into the violence thing; A few precise words can have a much
>harsher impact.

Yes. Please spare us the obligatory cat fight sequence. I don't want to
see anyone flung into water, pulled by the hair, or ended up face-down in
bowl of mush, mud or a Deception product.

>And I really don't want Lily/Sonny to romantically match-up. Lily had
>chemistry with AJ, and I kinda have a hankering for Sonny-Laura.

This would defuse, nicely, the A.J.-Jason rivalry which looks like the
end of a good, supportive brother act. Remember when A.J. spent all his
time riding Jason for being illegitimate? Jason rose above it, and became
A.J.'s friend and confidant -- an unusual case of younger brother taking
older bro under his wing. A romance with Lily would do the trick, plus
confound Brenda. Neat.

>> Big Applause for A.J. and his letter to Stone..

A.J. was right on the money when he decided to write to Stone, rather than
offer a face-to-face apology. First, because you get to have your say in
writing, unlessd the reader chooses to toss your words aside unread.
Second, because it gave A.J. time formal structure best suited to saying
percisely what he wanted to. Both scenes, A.J. with Monica, and Robin
with Stone, were thoughtful and touching. I especially liked Stone asking
Robin for the letter because he wanted to keep it.
BTW, does anyone else see Stone's blurred vision as the start of CMV? If
so, this virus is moving fast.
Tante
Joan, Willing to Give A.J. A Break

Joan0328

Aug 9, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/9/95
In article <40b1b8$c...@jethro.Corp.Sun.COM>, hit...@yohn.corp.sun.com
(Thomas Yohn) writes:

>::> Well, I did see him try to act once.
>::> But, he couldn't do it.
>::>
>::>
>::
>::He'd sprain his brain.
>
> He has a brain?
> toomces, Keeper of the Shears

Si. It was first seen operating on the ledge of GH, and last seen during
the scenes dealing with B.J.'s fatal crash. Ovbiously, once he
relinquished his orderly duties, the brain went back into its nest.

Tant Joan, keeper of the Long Knives

Patricia Steward

Aug 9, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/9/95
Adding that missing header.

--
Patricia Martin Steward pams...@nyx.cs.du.edu
I myself have never been able to find out precisely what feminism is;

Patricia Steward

Aug 9, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/9/95
Two followups, and no header. Tsk tsk.

In article <DD0w1...@eskimo.com>, :crp: <ch...@eskimo.com> wrote:
>In article <405ph7$p...@newsbf02.news.aol.com>,
>MTCzajka <mtcz...@aol.com> wrote:

>}>Why does everyone hate Miguel? He is one of my favorite characters
>}>on the show.

>}>Robin
>}I don't hate him either. I think it's just the Miguel haters are more
>}vocal and tend to drown out those who don't dislike him. So those
>}in the second group just don't bother trying.
>}Margueri...@ChicagoIL.NCR.COM
>
>Notice that Marguerite doesn't actually say "i like", only "dont dislike".
>I can't believe i'm about to do this , but:
>He has gotten better. He doesn't mumble every line, just every third.
>And with his haircut, the hairflip is down to every hour instead of minute.
>
>Damn, can't believe i just did that :<

Rose Marie Delckum

Aug 10, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/10/95
Tim Holt (Ho...@connect.net) wrote:
: Why does everyone hate Miguel?

Anyone keep John's poem? "How do I loathe thee, let me
count the ways..." :-) Now I am speaking for no one but
myself here, but here goes. Why I hate Miguel more than
Saddam Hussein:

1. Ricky Martin - the guy cannot act. He could not act his
way out of a wet paper bag with a map, a chainsaw, and a platoon
of Marines. Proof of such:
A. He has no clue as to how to use facial expressions.
He has about 3 stock looks. He has his angry look. He has his
happy look (equal amounts of happiness shown when he is reunited
with his son and when he gets his favorite flavor of ice cream)
and he has his generic vacuous look. That's it.
B. He has no clue as to how to use vocal inflection.
Everything he says is in the same monotone. He sometimes
speaks faster when he is trying to convey a strong emotion, but
he just ends up mumbling and stumbling and massacreing his
lines more than usual. He uses the same vocal inflection to
say "Lily, you are a slut!" as to say "I would like to make that
a cheeseburger please."
C. He cannot enunciate. He usually mumbles his lines
and does not project at all. In addition, he places inflection
on the wrong syllables and runs his words together, so that even
if you understand the syllables, it takes some thinking to form
them into coherent words. Sorta like reading hiragana or
katakana.
D. He has no clue as to how to use body language. He
gives off no non-verbal signals, other than his usual "I'm too
sexy for my shirt" signals, and his "I've got whiplash" head
tilt. He is extremely camera conscious, and strikes poses and
does not move naturally.

Due to all of the above, it is impossible to tell what
Miguel is thinking or feeling. In addition, it is painfully
obvious that we are not watching a person named Miguel, but that
we are watching Ricky Martin pretend to be Miguel.

2. The character of Miguel himself.

A. Miguel, as written, is a cardboard cutout. This
c haracter has not been developed at all. In this case, I again
blame the actor. The writers probably have lots of great ideas,
but cannot execute them due to RM's pathetic lack of ability.
He has no subtlety.

B. Miguel has a very annoying effect on everyone around him.
Women look at him and turn into slutty bimbos. Witness Brenda
and Lois's constant fawning over him, not to mention Amy and Meg.
And Lucy becomes brainless around him. This is very unrealistic.
And yes, I am a feminist, so I find it offensive. Women in general
are not that shallow or stupid.

C. Miguel has shown no sign of caring about anyone but
himself. Again, this is probably due to bad acting. But Miguel
comes across as very narcissistic and selfish. But at the same
time, we're obviously supposed to think he's the best thing since
sliced bread.

3. The moral dimension

A. First, there's the morality where the characters are
concerned. Miguel is a character who is never punished or even
called on for his misdeeds. In fact, he's like teflon - they
bounce off of him and stick to others. A few cases in point...
First, his whole attitude toward his son. I didn't watch any of
the PR crap last year, but I caught some later stuff. He forbids
Lily from seeing Juan? And then, I distinctly recall once she came
to the gatehouse with picture of Juan and he told her to get lost,
he was busy (flirting with Brenda). Also, he has obviously been
trying hard to break up Brenda and Sonny for some time and to get
Brenda in bed. Yet he is rewarded for this? And let's not
forget Brenda's birthday party. In the middle of a professional
performance he jumps off stage in front of his bosses and assaults
someone and calls his girlfriend a slut without provocation.
Any reputable record company would have put him on notice, or even
threatened to fire him. Yet it bounced right off of him.
Miguel has the moral fiber of...of...well, I don't want to
insult alley cats here... he and Bobbie are on equal moral
footing. They are both selfish and destructive and unwilling
to take responsibility. Yet he is never punished. In fact,
he is rewarded. This is wrong.

B. The other moral dimension is that Ricky Martin is
consistently turning in pathetic performances and still gets
front burner storylines. They were even willing to destroy
Brenda's character and undo a years' worth of development in
order to pair her with him. Yet talented actors are left on
the back burner (and potentially great stories with them)
while someone who was hired as a token and is blatantly
incompetent gets the spotlight.

: He is one of my favorite characters
: on the show.

Why? Seriously, what do you see in him? I have yet
to meet a single person, male or female, young or old,
straight or gay, black, white, hispanic or vietnamese,
in real life who doesn't hate the guy. I know more people
who have quit watching GH due to hatred of Ricky Martin than
for any other reason. I'm talking veteran viewers here too...

: Granted, he needs a good story line, maybe even a life...

He's had well over a year, and countless stories. The
writers just can't write for someone that bad. no one can
write serious material for someone that bad.

: Back to Miguel. Maybe y'all are judging him by that fiasco with
: Silly-I mean Lily.

Um. Nope. There's the whole annoying thing with Karen, who
has was also lusting after (why couldn't he have fallen off that
stupid ledge and spared us all?), there's the hair, the bad
singing he exposes he to (If I wanted to hear bad music I'd listen
to it. I try hard to avoid that crap), the annoying mannerisms,
the mumbling, the bad dressing, and as Cheryl put it, the
simple functioning of his autonomic nervous system really
really annoys me.

: Lily and Sonny belong in Puerto Rico.

I have to admit that I am beginning to like Lily. Since
Brenda has lost most of her brain to a lobotomy, it's nice to see
a female who is slight;y intelligent. She and Sonny would do
good in a fraternal sort of relationship, where he plays big brother.
Especially if she is paired with AJ. She's shown a lot of chemistry
with him.

: BTW, what is wrong with the pairing of Brenda and Miguel?

Well, there are a couple of dimensions here.

1. As noted previously, Ricky Martin can't act. Vanessa
Marcil can. She's good, but she's not good enough to carry a dead weight
like MenudoBoy. In addition to that, forcing her to do so adds
the possibility that she may quit.
2. Miguel is being rewarded for all of his efforts to
break up Sonny and Brenda and get Brenda into bed.
3. There is no chemistry between them
4. Being around Miguel reduces the character of Brenda
to a horny bimbo. This offends me.
5. There is no dramatic conflict between the two of them

because Ricky Martin can't act.

6. They broke up one of the most popular couple on
the show for the sole purpose of pushing teh career of someone
who deserves to be fired, but hasn't been because he's the token
hispanic hunk.

And all that off the top of my head...

: Robin

Roo, willing to help organize info on sponsors to target to
get rid of the creature from hell...

--
"Yesterday upon the stair Rose M. Delckum
I saw a man who wasn't there rmde...@starbase.spd.louisville.edu

Rose Marie Delckum

Aug 10, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/10/95
A. Huret (hi...@nyc.pipeline.com) wrote:

: In rec.arts.tv.soaps.abc Bennett Greenberg <ben...@shadow.net> said:
:
:
: >If they'd have Miguel singing more, maybe people wouldn't hate him so
: much..
:
: uh . . . i don't think so. i don't think his singing is enough to
: compensate for his lack of visual presence and acting ability.
:

Hey, I don't know which is worse - his singing of that
pablum poppy crap or his acting. Both are really bad...

:
: hipstress, CIC MHA "Off With His Head"
:
Roo, hopefully VP in Charge of Research into Really Yucky
Diseases, MHA

PLR8551

Aug 10, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/10/95
Roo wrote:

>> A. Miguel, as written, is a cardboard cutout.

When Brenda was stuffing the envelopes with the pictures of Miguel, it
crossed my mind that Miguel would make a very good looking mannequin!
As has been mentioned more than once on the group, if he is just stood in
a corner to be decorative his presence would be just fine!

Pat Ryan in CA

PLR8551

Aug 10, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/10/95
Sorry for the duplicate post - just adding the header.

Nick Paternostro

Aug 10, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/10/95
The only thing that would be fine is to simply get rid of this JERK!!
It's quite obvious that more fans of the show dislike him than like him.
I've sent e-mail to GH indicating how much this guy is disliked and
begged them to get rid of him but it doesn't seem to do any good.
Now they've gone and ruined the character of Brenda by making her sleep
with him (uuggghhh). Anyone else but him! Hopefully they will come to
their senses and nip that storyline in the bud!!! NIP IT....it's gross!

Mary

Tahnda Bailey

Aug 10, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/10/95
to Ho...@connect.net
Tim Holt <Ho...@connect.net> wrote:
>Why does everyone hate Miguel? He is one of my favorite characters
>on the show. Granted, he needs a good story line, maybe even a life...

>Speaking of getting a life, what happened to Amy's?
>Back to Miguel. Maybe y'all are judging him by that fiasco with
>Silly-I mean Lily. Lily and Sonny belong in Puerto Rico.

>BTW, what is wrong with the pairing of Brenda and Miguel?
>
>Just my opinion. Please don't throw any flames.
No flames here, just my humble opinion. We hate Mig because HE CAN'T
ACT!!! I just can't get past the perpetual head tilt, the stilted,
mumbling speech, or the lack of chemistry with anyone else on the show.
Not to mention that he's a dancer that can't dance and a singer who most
times can't sing. Perhaps its the material, but I think not.

As far as Mig and Braindead, timings all wrong. She left Sonny on a
Monday and was sleeping with MigHell on a Tuesday. In my world we call
her a tramp, on GH they call her a whore, and Newt Gingrich would
probably call her a slut.

Keep writing, perhaps you will convince me that I am wrong. I try to
keep an open mind and will admit when I have misjudged. For instance,
I've taken a second look at Lil and next to Braindead she no longer seems
so bad. At least she managed to keep her legs closed and remember that
she was supposed to be in love with MigHell just a few short months ago,
wish I could say the same about Braindead, who used to be one of my favs.
Now I realize that it must have been because she was with Sonny.
--

Tah...@water.ca.gov
Proud Mom to Skylarr and Spencer

Tim Holt

Aug 10, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/10/95
Lora, I don't know about you, but I think that it is time for
MIGUEL PEACE TALKS. You know my opinions on this subject, but, for
God's sake, let's put an end to this never-ending debate!

RE: hair, clothing, mannerisims:

I have always read about how the producers and directors have final
say over the hair of the characters, irregardless of what the actor
wants to do with their head. Case & point: Tristan Rogers was told
to get a hair cut. He nearly shaved his head (out of spite) and was
then made to wear a wig until his hair grew out.

I have never heard of an actor picking out the clothes that the
character wears on the show. That is what the costumers on the
show are for. The actors wear what they are told to wear. Therefore,
I doubt that RM has any say over what style of clothes that Miguel
wears.

Mannerisms:
GET OFF OF THE GUYS BACK!!!

Robin

bess anderson

Aug 10, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/10/95
Pat Ryan writes:

>Roo wrote:
>>> A. Miguel, as written, is a cardboard cutout.
>
>When Brenda was stuffing the envelopes with the pictures of Miguel, it
>crossed my mind that Miguel would make a very good looking mannequin!
>As has been mentioned more than once on the group, if he is just stood in
>a corner to be decorative his presence would be just fine!

But in order to be a decorative presence, don't you have to be
attractive?

Bess

PLR8551

Aug 10, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/10/95
Tim wrote:

>> Tristan Rogers was told to get a hair cut. He nearly shaved his head
>>(out of spite) and was then made to wear a wig until his hair grew out.

Hah! I remember when his hair looked like he was wearing a wig, and I
never knew why until now! Thanks!

Pat Ryan in CA (and I echo the sentiment and offer an olive branch!)

Tim Holt

Aug 11, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/11/95

> Denise (Keeper of the Dumpsters)

What exactly is Keeper of the Dumpsters?

Robin

Denise P. Ward

Aug 11, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/11/95
Robin: I'm going to think that you are serious with your queries. Miguel is
a dreaded character primarily because the actor who portrays him can't act his
way out of a paper bag. And he is even more hated because the ptb INSIST that
we WILL get to love their new star, & they will shove him down our
throat....big time.

As for the pairing with Lilly...I, personally, would pay for both Miguel &
Lilly to pack up & swim off into the sunset....or sharks, as the case may be.
Yawn doesn't begin to describe the lack of chemistry for those two. And as
for his interactions with Brenda....is he actually IN any of those scenes?
All I see is him flipping his hair around, mumbling, & tossing Brenda around
in some sort of dance.

Just my opinion.

A. Huret

Aug 11, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/11/95
In rec.arts.tv.soaps.abc Tim Holt <Ho...@connect.net> said:

>Lora, I don't know about you, but I think that it is time for MIGUEL PEACE

>TALKS. You know my opinions on this subject, but, for God's sake, let's
put an
>end to this never-ending debate!

<btw, i took the liberty of adding the proper header "GH" to the subject
line ----- it has been consistently omitted on your last several postings
---- just trying to maintain peace in the group>

<yawn . . .> this *debate* as you call it does not need to be ended; there
is an obvious difference of opinion on this character and everyone is
entitled to how they feel. speaking for those who are anti-MigHell, i can
safely say that we have supported our disdain for him quite clearly. those
who support MigHell have done little to substantiate their opinions. the
*debate* as you call it cannot actually exist because the pro-MigHell camp
has not (IMO) offered any proof to the contrary of our well documented
arguments with the character.

>RE: hair, clothing, mannerisims:
>
>I have always read about how the producers and directors have final say
over
>the hair of the characters, irregardless of what the actor wants to do
with
>their head. Case & point: Tristan Rogers was told to get a hair cut. He

>nearly shaved his head (out of spite) and was then made to wear a wig
until his
>hair grew out.

i fail to see what Tristan Rogers' hair has to do with MigHell. okay, so
the producers told MigHell to cut his hair also. i don't think the length
of 'said' hair is at issue here ---- while we didn't like it long and we
don't like it short, the issue at hand remains: " We Do Not Like The Way He
Constantly Plays With it Like a Nervous Schoolgirl." (and please don't
argue that the hair playing is part of the character as written). no, the
length of his locks are *not* RM's decision but nobody is holding him
accountable for that !! he *is*, however, responsible for his obsessive
flipping.

>I have never heard of an actor picking out the clothes that the character
wears
>on the show. That is what the costumers on the show are for. The actors
wear
>what they are told to wear. Therefore, I doubt that RM has any say over
what
>style of clothes that Miguel wears.

Nobody has ever assumed that RM was responsible for his character's
wardrobe. yes, wardrobe's choice of clothing for this character is
consistently unflattering. and btw, actors *do* have some say over their
wardrobe --- it was posted here that Vanessa Marcil (BrainDead) was
uncomfortable wearing such skimpy costumes on the show (such terms *can* be
put into contracts) in any case, there is precedent --- RM could have a say
if he wanted to. but be clear, nobody has ever held RM responsible for
MigHell's clothes.

>Mannerisms:
>GET OFF OF THE GUYS BACK!!!

*This* is your idea of Peace Talks ?? (i'd hate to see your idea of a flame
war) i see no defense of his constant hair-flipping and vacuous stares --
is there some reason he does this that we don't understand (nerves don't
count -- he is *supposed* to be a professional, according to you) again,
you are dragging this entire *debate* down to the level of an elementary
school playground ---- you are saying the equivalent of : "Is Not !!
only, instead of responding "Is Too!!" we support concrete *reasons* for
our points of view.

the point that you repeatedly choose to ignore is that you *ARE* entitled
to your opinion of any character. people here have *only* asked you to
back it up. (no, you don't *have* to, but that is the idea behind a debate
-- if you don't want to back up your statement, don't make it, but don't
ask others to stop making their opinions known especially when they can
back up their arguments!) the problem is, you are not stating an opinion.
you simply shout "GET OFF OF THE GUYS BACK!!!" why do you like the
mannerisms we dislike ?? what are we missing ??

you know Robin, it appears that "thou protest too much" ---- the arguments
you presented above are weak (not to mention irrelevant to the support of
your character) i am *not* flaming you, but ever since you began asking
why people here feel as they do about MigHell, you have failed to offer any
concrete, objective defense of your opinions.

many people here have thoughtfully responded to your question and given you
lengthy explanations as to *why* they don't like the character and in
return, you have offered no evidence to the contrary. this entire *debate*
has been reduced to nothing more than "lather, rinse, repeat . . ."

in fact, i'm willing to bet that most people (myself included) have watched
these painfully disturbing scenes even more closely, just to find some
shred of evidence that the common perception of him is wrong. if anything,
it is only confirming the sad fact that RM has been grossly miscast and is
in a job way over his head.

if his mannerisms were part of the character he plays, this would be a
different discussion. but they are not. so we will *not* get off his
back. if you can support what you are claiming, go for it, if not, please
put it to rest.

hip1nyc

Joan0328

Aug 11, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/11/95
In article <40eojd$1...@pipe1.nyc.pipeline.com>, hi...@nyc.pipeline.com (A.
Huret) writes:

>>I have always read about how the producers and directors have final say
>over
>>the hair of the characters, irregardless

Pardon me while I interject a wee TAN: (Miss English Person, are you
listening?) There is no such word as "irregardless." Trust me on this
one, or look it up.
Tante Joan

A. Huret

Aug 11, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/11/95
In rec.arts.tv.soaps.abc joan...@aol.com (Joan0328) said:

>In article <40eojd$1...@pipe1.nyc.pipeline.com>, hi...@nyc.pipeline.com (A.

>Huret) writes:
>
>>>I have always read about how the producers and directors have final say
>>over
>>>the hair of the characters, irregardless
>

>Pardon me while I interject a wee TAN: (Miss English Person, are you
>listening?) There is no such word as "irregardless." Trust me on this
one, or
>look it up.
> Tante Joan

Tante !! :( :( :(

you mistakenly attributed this blunder to me . . . :( :( :( i guess you
accidently deleted the original poster:

In rec.arts.tv.soaps.abc Tim Holt <Ho...@connect.net> said:

>I have always read about how the producers and directors have final say
over

>the hair of the characters, irregardless of <rest of post snipped>

hip1nyc (who is quick to accept responsibility for her actions and equally
quick to reject those that aren't)

<my reputation is sullied !!>

GROUND

Aug 11, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/11/95

==========Joan0328, 8/11/95==========

Huret) writes:

>>I have always read about how the producers and directors have final say
>over
>>the hair of the characters, irregardless

Pardon me while I interject a wee TAN: (Miss English Person, are you
listening?) There is no such word as "irregardless." Trust me on this
one, or look it up.
Tante Joan

Thank you, thank you, thank you, I was hoping you would jump right in there
and let her know there is no "irregardless".

Dee

A. Huret

Aug 12, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/12/95

in case anyone missed my previous follow-up, i (hip1nyc) did not post the
above. i replied to the original post (by Tim Holt aka Robin) and it was
mis-edited :( :( :(

hip1nyc (feeling a little sensitive since i go out of my way to check my
spelling and grammar) :)

A. Huret

Aug 12, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/12/95

Jill Kirby

Aug 12, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/12/95
In article <40eojd$1...@pipe1.nyc.pipeline.com> hi...@nyc.pipeline.com (A. Huret) writes:
>In rec.arts.tv.soaps.abc Tim Holt <Ho...@connect.net> said:
>
>>Lora, I don't know about you, but I think that it is time for MIGUEL PEACE
>
>>TALKS. You know my opinions on this subject, but, for God's sake, let's
>put an
>>end to this never-ending debate!

><yawn . . .> this *debate* as you call it does not need to be ended; there
>is an obvious difference of opinion on this character and everyone is
>entitled to how they feel. speaking for those who are anti-MigHell, i can
>safely say that we have supported our disdain for him quite clearly. those
>who support MigHell have done little to substantiate their opinions. the
>*debate* as you call it cannot actually exist because the pro-MigHell camp
>has not (IMO) offered any proof to the contrary of our well documented
>arguments with the character.

As the First Officer, MHA Militia, Armaments Chairbabe, I must support the
Hip1.

There can be no peace on this subject, not even a negotiated one. Our only
acceptable resolution is total and unconditional surrender. I believe that I
speak for the members of MHA when I say that we will use any means necessary
to ensure that the Hairy One is removed from GH as quickly as possible. We
have been tormented too long! We've given him more than one chance and he
fails, again and again, to redeem himself.

He cannot act; he apparently cannot kiss; he fails to have chemistry with
*any* woman on the program. He is taking screen time from actors who deserve
it. It's possible that his presence is what's causing the brains to leak out
of my favorite female characters.

He must be stopped.

Jill
FGC Kevin
MHGC Boobie, Member, Slap Drill Team
First Officer, MHA Militia, Armaments Chairbabe

S. A. Wilson

Aug 13, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/13/95

You know I find it more than interesting that when
a character is played by a bad actor that character
tends to be extemely good and nice and all the other
like qualities. Now it is either because the actor
-- a term used soo loosely -- is unable
to give a complexity and depth to the character, or
that the writers/producers realize the lack of talent
and to compensate try and make the character saintly
perfect, thinking that this will endear him/her to the
public. I know from my years watching DOOL and now with
Miquel on GH that people who possessed the lest talent
are played abnoxiously perfect, good, saccarinely sweet
characters. It just seemed that the writers went out of
their way making them perfect, good, saintly, etc., etc.
I think this is what is happening with Mighell the writers
and producers know that Rickets Martian CANNOT act, and is
utterly pathetic, but they are stuck with him, and thus are
trying everything to make folks like the guy. But for me
the more they make someone perfect the less I like the
character, and if the person playing the character is a
pathetic actor I am disgusted. For me the primary test to
liking a character is the talent the person behind said
character possesses, morality or immorality or amorality
does not matter I am watching the show to be entertained,
and to be entertained I demand respect, and that respect
comes through decent writing AND ACTING. So, I hate Mighell
because Ricky CANNOT act. For me I do not buy into the
"goodness," "sweetness" of the character since I feel that
this only results because the writers are trying to trick
me into liking the character, and to ignore the all too
numerous are real flaws of the person behind it. I can
except a flawed character, but a flawed "actor" like
Ricky I CANNOT ACCEPT.

Spudly--

--
Out of college, money spent || Sally A. Wilson
See no future, pay no rent || RATS: Spudstress
All the money's gone, nowhere to go || EMAIL: sal...@netcom.com
....But oh, that magic feeling, nowhere to go (THE BEATLES)

Rose Marie Delckum

Aug 13, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/13/95
Joan0328 (joan...@aol.com) wrote:

: >>the hair of the characters, irregardless

: Pardon me while I interject a wee TAN: (Miss English Person, are you

: listening?) There is no such word as "irregardless." Trust me on this
: one, or look it up.

Actually, I found this out in high school. My senior year
I had Spanish second period. The principal would always get on and
make the morning announcements during second period. My Spanish teacher,
one of the best teachers I have ever had, was an incredible
grammar fanatic in both English and Spanish. The principal's grammar,
well, to be polite, it sucked. He reminded me of Les Nessman
on WKRP in Cincinnati (remember his mangling of Chi Chi Rodriguez?).
Anyhow, the Spanish teacher would always talk back to the
intercom and correct his grammar. Toward the end of the year her
barbs became more pointed. Until the day he used the word
"irregardless" during the morning announcements. The poor woman
just screamed, then left. She marched down the hall to the
principal's office and announced (while he was making the
announcements, and so the mike was on) that there was no such
word as "irregardless". :-) That word, or rather it's lack
of existence, has stuck with me ever since :-)

: Tante Joan

Roo

Tim Holt

Aug 13, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/13/95
Thank you, thank you, thank you, I was hoping you would jump right in there
> and let her know there is no "irregardless".
>
> Dee

PLEASE EXCUSE ME! Irregardless is a family word. Does any one else
have fake words that your family uses. Please forgive me for being
a bit too informal in my posting.

Robin

Joan0328

Aug 13, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/13/95
In article <40jtdt$4...@dallas1.connect.net>, Tim Holt <Ho...@connect.net>
writes:

You must have tons of relatives, Robin. I said it was a pet peeve,
didn't I? I deplore the word, but never the user.
And, Hipstress, I have made my apologies to you in private, but I'll say
it again. HOW could I have ever thought it was you? It must have been
some little bird who told me. A little bird I would forgive almost
anything, and who is too far out of town for me to scold.
Tante Joan,

PLR8551

Aug 13, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/13/95
Robin said:

>>PLEASE EXCUSE ME! Irregardless is a family word. Does any one else
>>have fake words that your family uses. Please forgive me for being
>>a bit too informal in my posting.

>>Robin

YES, Robin, my family has some doozies, and sometimes I get the *ODDEST*
looks! :-)

Kathleen Lenkeit

Aug 14, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/14/95
In <40jtdt$4...@dallas1.connect.net> Tim Holt <Ho...@connect.net> writes:

> Thank you, thank you, thank you, I was hoping you would jump right in there
>> and let her know there is no "irregardless".
>>
>> Dee
>>
>PLEASE EXCUSE ME! Irregardless is a family word. Does any one else
>have fake words that your family uses. Please forgive me for being
>a bit too informal in my posting.
>
>Robin

Plenty of people have "fake words that the family uses" -- for example,
some of our "better" ones are "gerts" for the elderly (although we know
others who use the term "raisins" for the elderly), and "nerdles"
(rhymes with hurdles) for dry cat food thingys.

I think what raised so many peoples' dander here, though, was not the
use of a made-up family word, but, rather, the use of a 'word' that's
not a word -- it's improper grammar. A lot of teachers and other
highly educated folks read this newsgroup, and that sort of things just
grates.....

Kathleen

new...@fn1.freenet.edmonton.ab.ca

uid no access

Aug 15, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/15/95
In article <40nqpq$b...@ixnews5.ix.netcom.com> klen...@ix.netcom.com (Kathleen Lenkeit ) writes:
>In <40jtdt$4...@dallas1.connect.net> Tim Holt <Ho...@connect.net> writes:
>>
>> Thank you, thank you, thank you, I was hoping you would jump right in there
>>> and let her know there is no "irregardless".
>>>
>>> Dee
>>>
>>PLEASE EXCUSE ME! Irregardless is a family word. Does any one else
>>have fake words that your family uses. Please forgive me for being
>>Robin

I must have missed something here because my dictionary has
the word "irregardless" in it. Defined as a prob. blend of
irrespective and regardless. I have heard it since I was a
kid (that is many, many years). For those who want to check
it was in Webster's Ninth New Collegiate Dictionary on page
640.

Nuff said,
Ande

Joan0328

Aug 16, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/16/95
In article <40rndb$5...@slime.megatek.com>, kcol...@megatek.com (uid no
access) writes:

> I must have missed something here because my dictionary has
> the word "irregardless" in it. Defined as a prob. blend of
> irrespective and regardless. I have heard it since I was a
> kid (that is many, many years). For those who want to check
> it was in Webster's Ninth New Collegiate Dictionary on page
> 640.

Webster's is notorious for legitimizing common usage and correct usage.
There is no legitimate word "irregardless." It is practically a tripple
negative. The same people who insist it is a word believe that "refer
back" is a proper form. It isn't; the "re" in refer already means back,
making it "refer back back."

Sheesh! It's hard being a tightass English person!
Tante Joan

Lorraine M Carter

Aug 16, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/16/95

> I must have missed something here because my dictionary has
>> the word "irregardless" in it. Defined as a prob. blend of
>> irrespective and regardless. I have heard it since I was a
>> kid (that is many, many years). For those who want to check
>> it was in Webster's Ninth New Collegiate Dictionary on page
>> 640.
>>
>> Nuff said,
>> Ande
> THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU
>I also have heard this word used for as long as I can remember. I
>knew that I wasn't crazy, though some around here would probably
>disagree.

I'm just a lurker and decided to add my 2 cents in here. I looked up
irregardless in the American Heritage Dictionary; it is defined as
regardless and in italics says Nonstandard. According to this dictionary
that means "While it cannot be claimed that there is a
uniform standard language throughout America, nevertheless there is
widespread agreement as to those forms and usages that are not acceptable
to educated speakers. Certain terms and expressions may have long
existed in the language side by side with equivalent standard forms, but
they have never been admitted to the standard language."

> >What about the non-word Ain't?? >
Same goes for the word ain't. Its in the dictionary and lots of people use
it but its not a word. Confused? So am I.

Lorraine

>Is this a TAN yet? > >Robin

Tim Holt

Aug 16, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/16/95
The same people who insist it is a word believe that "refer
> back" is a proper form. It isn't; the "re" in refer already means back,
> making it "refer back back."
Tante Joan

Joan, Dahling, I have always used irregardless and I do not believe
that "refer back" is proper.:))

>Sheesh! It's hard being a tightass English person!
Tante Joan

Have you tried soaking in a hot tub to loosen up?:))It works wonders!
So I won't be misquoated (Sp) or not understood, I AM KIDDING!!!

Robin

Tim Holt

Aug 16, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/16/95
kcol...@megatek.com (uid no access) wrote:

I must have missed something here because my dictionary has
> the word "irregardless" in it. Defined as a prob. blend of
> irrespective and regardless. I have heard it since I was a
> kid (that is many, many years). For those who want to check
> it was in Webster's Ninth New Collegiate Dictionary on page
> 640.
>
> Nuff said,
> Ande
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU
I also have heard this word used for as long as I can remember. I
knew that I wasn't crazy, though some around here would probably
disagree.

What about the non-word Ain't??

Is this a TAN yet?

Robin

Joan0328

Aug 16, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/16/95
In article <40t7j0$9...@taco.cc.ncsu.edu>, lca...@unity.ncsu.edu (Lorraine
M Carter) writes:

> >Is this a TAN yet? > >Robin

Yep.

Kathleen Lenkeit

Aug 17, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/17/95
In <40t7gr$k...@newsbf02.news.aol.com> joan...@aol.com (Joan0328) writes:

>In article <40rndb$5...@slime.megatek.com>, kcol...@megatek.com (uid no
>access) writes:
>
>> I must have missed something here because my dictionary has
>> the word "irregardless" in it. Defined as a prob. blend of
>> irrespective and regardless. I have heard it since I was a
>> kid (that is many, many years). For those who want to check
>> it was in Webster's Ninth New Collegiate Dictionary on page
>> 640.
>>

>Webster's is notorious for legitimizing common usage and correct usage.
>There is no legitimate word "irregardless." It is practically a
tripple
>negative. The same people who insist it is a word believe that "refer

>back" is a proper form. It isn't; the "re" in refer already means
back,
>making it "refer back back."
>
>Sheesh! It's hard being a tightass English person!
> Tante Joan

Right on!!! Just because it's in the dictionary doesn't mean it's
correct English grammar to use it!!! In a previous reply to Kcollins,
someone mentioned "ain't" as also being in the dictionary. "Ain't " is
not, and never will be, proper grammar. It's simply in the dictionary
to show that it's something that has become common in our language --
NOT that it is correct!

Do you hate "and so, therefore" as much as I do?

Kathleen

Kathleen Lenkeit

Aug 17, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/17/95
In <40tcv3$1...@dallas1.connect.net> Tim Holt using the alias of "Robin"
<Ho...@connect.net> writes *in pertinent part* to Tante Joan:

>Joan, Dahling, I have always used irregardless and I do not believe
>that "refer back" is proper.:))
>
>Robin

The excuse that you've "always used" an alleged word does not make it a
word, and it does not make it right, proper, or grammatically correct.

Now, folks, Tim-aka-Robin is wrong, we know she's wrong, and she will
never admit publicly that she's wrong. Can we just let it rest now and
get on with enjoying the newsgroup?

Joan0328

Aug 17, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/17/95
In article <40u785$6...@ixnews6.ix.netcom.com>, klen...@ix.netcom.com
(Kathleen Lenkeit ) writes:

>Do you hate "and so, therefore" as much as I do?

Almost.

Joan0328

Aug 17, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/17/95
In article <40uka1$s...@ixnews4.ix.netcom.com>, klen...@ix.netcom.com
(Kathleen Lenkeit ) writes:

>Now, folks, Tim-aka-Robin is wrong, we know she's wrong, and she will
>never admit publicly that she's wrong. Can we just let it rest now and
>get on with enjoying the newsgroup?

Works for me. I lay down my keyboard, starting now.
Tante Joan, over and OUT!

GROUND

Aug 17, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/17/95

==========Kathleen Lenkeit, 8/16/95==========

Do you hate "and so, therefore" as much as I do?

Kathleen

The only thing I hate more than that is Erica saying, "Well, my goodness" a
hundred times a show.

Dee

Guiness225

Aug 18, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/18/95
have any of you verbophiles heard of "TAN?" Come on folks, I thought I
was gonna {how do you *feel* about the bastardization of the English
language exemplified in the coloquiolism 'gonna'?} read aboud McIll [who
bastardizes English - but he has an excuse!] Use proper headers so I
don't waste my time and money and that is *REAL* plain English.

Kathryn Bassett

Aug 18, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/18/95
In <40tcv3$1...@dallas1.connect.net> Tim Holt <Ho...@connect.net> writes:
> The same people who insist it is a word believe that "refer
>> back" is a proper form. It isn't; the "re" in refer already means
back,
>> making it "refer back back."
> Tante Joan
>Joan, Dahling, I have always used irregardless and I do not believe
>that "refer back" is proper.:))

>>Sheesh! It's hard being a tightass English person!
> Tante Joan
>Robin

I've had fun watching the English lessons. I know that refer back is
not correct and don't use it as a normal rule, but I use it on occasion
when I want someone to refer to something "waaaay back". Remember that
I'm into genealogy - so "refer back to the such-and-such 1600's event"
is my way of emphasizing that the reference is not a recent reference.
It comes across better when speaking because I can put an empasis on
baaack.

By the way, I'm another who grew up in Calif with irregardless as a
commonly used word. I have a vague memory of knowing better and
honestly can't say which way I use it myself. I guess I must not have
need for the word in either form since I can't remember.

One of my pet peeves is my husband's pronounciaton of the word goal
which comes out like gold. He also says ideal instead of idea. I know
that things like idear instead of idea is sometimes a regional "accent"
type thing ala Brooklyn, but he was born and raised in Pasadena so I
don't know where it comes from. He TRYS, but he just can't say them
right. I've learned to live with it, and it doesn't grate on my nerves
like it used to - probably because I know it's not ignorance, it's just
some sort of speech impediment.
--
Kathryn "Genealogy Is My Bag" Bassett
ac...@lafn.org 1st choice)

Lora Jeffreys

Aug 18, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/18/95
>>Webster's is notorious for legitimizing common usage and correct usage.

>>There is no legitimate word "irregardless." It is practically a
>tripple

>>negative. The same people who insist it is a word believe that "refer

>>back" is a proper form. It isn't; the "re" in refer already means
>back,

OKAY OKAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Enough already!!! This is supposed to be a fun place to chat and debate
and whatever. I was not aware that we were being graded on our grammar
here. What fun is that! If someone expresses their feelings by using
words, or phrases that they grew up saying, they should not be criticized
here! I mean please, I have to deal with enough PETTINESS at my work, why
should I have to deal with it in my recreational time!

Lora!

Jan Penovich

Aug 18, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/18/95
Tim Holt <Ho...@connect.net> writes:

>kcol...@megatek.com (uid no access) wrote:
>>

> I must have missed something here because my dictionary has
>> the word "irregardless" in it. Defined as a prob. blend of
>> irrespective and regardless. I have heard it since I was a
>> kid (that is many, many years). For those who want to check
>> it was in Webster's Ninth New Collegiate Dictionary on page
>> 640.
>>

>> Nuff said,
>> Ande
> THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU
>I also have heard this word used for as long as I can remember. I
>knew that I wasn't crazy, though some around here would probably
>disagree.

>What about the non-word Ain't??

Irregardless is still considered a nonstandard word and
isn't used in writing.

The definition in the American Heritage Dictionary is:

ir re gard less adv. Nonstandard. Regardless

Ain't is also nonstandard. Refer to the Amer. Heritage
Dictionary for a description of their Usage Panel's
decision about its usage.

Irregardless of all this, I ain't never going to like Miguel.
No way, no how. :-)

jan
TTFN, * jpen...@encore.com
jan penovich * Encore Computer Corp.

R.R. Ferris

Aug 20, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/20/95
In article <41183a$9...@usenetw1.news.prodigy.com>,

Someone else said:
>>>Webster's is notorious for legitimizing common usage and correct usage.

To which I say:
Language is an evolving thing, though--it changes through
time according to the needs of its users.

And Lora said:
>Enough already!!! This is supposed to be a fun place to chat and debate
>and whatever. I was not aware that we were being graded on our grammar
>here. What fun is that! If someone expresses their feelings by using
>words, or phrases that they grew up saying, they should not be criticized

I agree, Lora. I was an English major in school, and am an
editor by profession, so I tend to be demanding when it comes
to grammar and style. BUT I try to limit my criticism to
formal usage; that is, if I saw "irregardless" in a newspaper
story, a formal paper, or heard President Clinton say it in
an address to the nation, I would sneer and jeer and say "bad
bad bad." However, I do not feel it's necessary to "edit"
everyday conversation. In particular, I've know other editors
who will interrupt casual conversation to point out one of the
participant's grammatical errors. Now granted, there are incidents
when this may be helpful (or even merciful if someone is using
the wrong word and is in danger of making themselves look foolish--
such as, for instance, calling a woman "gentile" instead of
"genteel"). But there are other instances, such as the use of
"irregardless" or my use of "themselves" above, where correction
in an informal situation only serves to embarrass the corrected
person.

Anyway, I don't mean to offend anyone--this just happens to
be a pet subject of mine, and I ain't backin' down from my
opinions!!

becky, who joyfully splits her infinitives practically every day!

becky ferris rrfe...@access.digex.net
"I've got a bad feeling about that knick-knack shelf."

Wendy

Aug 21, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/21/95
Hey, OK. If you don't like the TANs, don't read them. Personally, I'm in
favour of anything that bolsters an increasingly abused language.

Uleta Bruny-Fils

Sep 9, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/9/95
Tim Holt (Ho...@connect.net) wrote:
: Why does everyone hate Miguel? He is one of my favorite characters
: on the show. Granted, he needs a good story line, maybe even a life...
: Speaking of getting a life, what happened to Amy's?
: Back to Miguel. Maybe y'all are judging him by that fiasco with
: Silly-I mean Lily. Lily and Sonny belong in Puerto Rico.
: BTW, what is wrong with the pairing of Brenda and Miguel?

: Just my opinion. Please don't throw any flames.

: Robin

--

Uleta Bruny-Fils
d014...@dcfreenet.seflin.lib.fl.us

S. A. Wilson

Sep 9, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/9/95
In article <42spip$c...@bcfreenet.seflin.lib.fl.us>,
Uleta Bruny-Fils <d014...@dcfreenet.seflin.lib.fl.us> wrote:

:Tim Holt (Ho...@connect.net) wrote:
:: Why does everyone hate Miguel? He is one of my favorite characters
:: on the show. Granted, he needs a good story line, maybe even a life...
:: Speaking of getting a life, what happened to Amy's?
:: Back to Miguel. Maybe y'all are judging him by that fiasco with
:: Silly-I mean Lily. Lily and Sonny belong in Puerto Rico.
:: BTW, what is wrong with the pairing of Brenda and Miguel?
:
:: Just my opinion. Please don't throw any flames.
:
:: Robin
:
:

NO we are not judging him by the story, but by the
simple fact -- okay chorus -- Ricket's Martian cannot
Act -- chorus. He has no range whatsoever, he has
the same facial experessions and voice intonations
for every mood and feeling he supposedly is to display.
To paraphrase Logan of TV Guide, "hair flipping IS NOT
ACTING." His singing ability is questionable. He plain
stinks, and stinks up the place.

Okay where is the net.party.rickets.leaving? I have been
searching EVERYWHERE. Sheesh, I thought you folks here
where different then the rest, and would included me
in the festivities, I guess not. Sniff. Sniff. And
I was thinking about bringing some anti-MakeMeIl games.

:--
:
:Uleta Bruny-Fils
:d014...@dcfreenet.seflin.lib.fl.us
:

--
||| In heaven everything is fine, ||| Sally A. Wilson |||
||| you have your good things, ||| sal...@netcom.com |||

d...@cais.com

Sep 10, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/10/95
> Tim Holt (Ho...@connect.net) wrote:
> : Why does everyone hate Miguel? He is one of my favorite characters

Because he can't act!!!!!

Jayne C

Sep 10, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/10/95

But he is cute!! :) Lots of people on daytime can't act.....get rid of
some of the unnatractive one that can't act!!

I to the world am like a drop of water,that in the ocean seeks another
drop;who,falling there to find his fellow forth, unseen, inquisitive,
confounds himself.

S. A. Wilson

Sep 10, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/10/95
In article <42v16p$2...@grape.epix.net>, Jayne C <carb...@epix.net> wrote:

:d...@cais.com wrote:
:>> Tim Holt (Ho...@connect.net) wrote:
:>> : Why does everyone hate Miguel? He is one of my favorite characters
:>
:>Because he can't act!!!!!
:
: But he is cute!! :) Lots of people on daytime can't act.....get rid of
:some of the unnatractive one that can't act!!

Yes, that is why I want him to leave, he CANNOT act, his singing
sucks, and he is MEGA unattracetive. Sure there are those in daytime
who cannot act, but out of those he is by far the worst offender.
DAYS is a show litered with pathetic actors, maybe he should go there --
he sure would fit in, TMFIC there would find his hair flipping as
talent.

:
:
:--

:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
:I to the world am like a drop of water,that in the ocean seeks another
:drop;who,falling there to find his fellow forth, unseen, inquisitive,
:confounds himself.
:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

:

Rose Marie Delckum

Sep 10, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/10/95
Jayne C (carb...@epix.net) wrote:
: d...@cais.com wrote:
: >> Tim Holt (Ho...@connect.net) wrote:
: >> : Why does everyone hate Miguel? He is one of my favorite characters
: >
: >Because he can't act!!!!!

: But he is cute!! :) Lots of people on daytime can't act.....get rid of
: some of the unnatractive one that can't act!!

I think you're confused. We're talking about *Miguel*
here, the one who makes Foster look dashing (not to mention
that he makes Foster look like a great conversationalist :-) )
I really can't think of any male on the show less attractive
(or less hygenic or worse dressed) than Miguel. And IMO, if they
can't act, get rid of them. Period. Cute or no, if they can't
do the job, they should be fired. Or just plain not hired.

Roo

--
"Yesterday upon the stair Rose M. Delckum
I saw a man who wasn't there rmde...@starbase.spd.louisville.edu
He wasn't there again today rmd...@ukcc.uky.edu
I think he's from the CIA." rdel...@aol.com

Sean P. Griffin

Sep 10, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/10/95
I have also sent my letter to TPTB at ABC (day...@ccabc.com AND
abc...@ccabc.com, make sure to write ATTN: Felicia Minei Bahr AND
Agnes Nixon) protesting the possible loss of Olivia Birkeland and
her character Arlene Vaughn.

I got back a *very* form letter, so there's no way to know how
TPTB are reacting to this--so keep the letters going!!!

Sean "I'm Too in My Activist Mode to Come Up with a Witty Statement"
Griffin
FAC WobblyCam

Joan0328

Sep 10, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/10/95
d014...@dcfreenet.seflin.lib.fl.us (Uleta Bruny-Fils) writes:

>Tim Holt (Ho...@connect.net) wrote:
>: Why does everyone hate Miguel? He is one of my favorite characters

>: on the show. Granted, he needs a good story line, maybe even a life...
>: Speaking of getting a life, what happened to Amy's?
>: Back to Miguel. Maybe y'all are judging him by that fiasco with
>: Silly-I mean Lily. Lily and Sonny belong in Puerto Rico.
>: BTW, what is wrong with the pairing of Brenda and Miguel?
>
>: Just my opinion. Please don't throw any flames.
>
>: Robin

1. Why not?
2. Because he's there.
3. To get to the other side.
4. Because he CAN'T ACT.
Take your pick.
Tante Joan

linda perkins

Sep 11, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/11/95
Robin asks:

: Why does everyone hate Miguel? He is one of my favorite characters

Cause he sucks.

No flames, just just.......sucks!

Ollie

--
lper...@skidmore.edu "The Keeper Of The Family Info"
Linda Perkins aka: Olive Peel "Sitter For The Family Dolly"

Linda Rebecca Rash

Sep 11, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/11/95
Sean P. Griffin (spgr...@girtab.usc.edu) wrote:
: I have also sent my letter to TPTB at ABC (day...@ccabc.com AND
: I got back a *very* form letter, so there's no way to know how

: TPTB are reacting to this--so keep the letters going!!!

I also email abc and got a form letter that stated they welcome
comments on the show but don't expect to receive a personal response to
your letters, notes, emails, etc.
--
Linda Rash Phone: 404-727-6879
Emory University Libraries Internet: lib...@emuvm1.bitnet

Thomas Yohn

Sep 11, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/11/95
In article 2...@grape.epix.net, Jayne C <carb...@epix.net> writes:

::d...@cais.com wrote:
::>> Tim Holt (Ho...@connect.net) wrote:
::>> : Why does everyone hate Miguel? He is one of my favorite characters
::>
::>Because he can't act!!!!!

::
:: But he is cute!! :) Lots of people on daytime can't act.....get rid of
::some of the unnatractive one that can't act!!

Let's get rid of the ones who can't act.
Starting with.... Miguel
toomces, with his shears in hand
Yeah. Right. Like Sun has an | Official Bobbie Restrainer for the BSDT.
opinion about General Hospital. | Keeper of the Shears for the MHA
email: thoma...@Corp.Sun.COM | FGC Madam Maia, FGC Raoul, MHGC Lucky

Melissa L. McGuire

Sep 11, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/11/95

> Sean P. Griffin (spgr...@girtab.usc.edu) wrote:
> : I have also sent my letter to TPTB at ABC (day...@ccabc.com AND
> : I got back a *very* form letter,

[snip...]

In article <431b0c$l...@curly.cc.emory.edu>, lib...@curly.cc.emory.edu
(Linda Rebecca Rash) wrote:
from Linda...

> I also email abc and got a form letter

[snip...]
> Linda Rash Phone: 404-727-6879
> Internet: lib...@emuvm1.bitnet

Although I want to see Hayley happy [preferable without Al-yuck] ...
:)
I like Arlene so much, I came out of semi-perminent lurkdom to post. I, too,
emailed TPTB with my vote to keep Olivia. I also got the generated response.
Hopefully this helps. Is anyone keeping some sort of tally about all the
emails,
etc. sent in so far?

Melissa "Keeping those fingers crossed..it's the least I can do! " McGuire
mcg...@lerc.nasa.gov

--
Beware of people who don't like cats. Irish Proverb
email: M_Mc...@comsrv.lerc.nasa.gov

Carol S. Boshears

Sep 11, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/11/95
In article <42v8mp$9...@girtab.usc.edu>, spgr...@girtab.usc.edu (Sean P.
Griffin) wrote:

> I have also sent my letter to TPTB at ABC (day...@ccabc.com AND

> abc...@ccabc.com, make sure to write ATTN: Felicia Minei Bahr AND
> Agnes Nixon) protesting the possible loss of Olivia Birkeland and
> her character Arlene Vaughn.
>

> I got back a *very* form letter, so there's no way to know how
> TPTB are reacting to this--so keep the letters going!!!
>

> Sean "I'm Too in My Activist Mode to Come Up with a Witty Statement"
> Griffin
> FAC WobblyCam

I sent my e-mail too ( I said she deserved an Emmy for her portrayal!).
Yep, I guess we'll just get the form "letter", but at least we know
they got our messages. Now we just wait and see.
Carol

Calz at Dorsai

Sep 11, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/11/95
In article <43041k$s...@saims.skidmore.edu>,
lper...@saims.skidmore.edu (linda perkins) wrote:

>Robin asks:

>: Why does everyone hate Miguel? He is one of my favorite characters
>

>Cause he sucks.
>
>No flames, just just.......sucks!

Some people don't hate Miguel at all. In fact, some people don't even know
who the heck Miguel is. Of course, if some people would remember to use the
soap header abbreviation when they post or reply to a headerless post, then
some people wouldn't have to wonder at all.

I would do it, but since I don't know who Miguel is, I obviously don't watch
that particular soap, so I wouldn't know what header to put on the post.

-Nancy- (ca...@dorsai.org)

DPWard

Sep 11, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/11/95
In article <42vivr$h...@newsbf02.news.aol.com>, joan...@aol.com (Joan0328)
writes:

>>: Just my opinion. Please don't throw any flames.
>>
>>: Robin
>>

>1. Why not?
>2. Because he's there.
>3. To get to the other side.
>4. Because he CAN'T ACT.
>Take your pick.
> Tante Joan

Robin: Try not to consider it flame throwing. It's just that Miguel
makes most of us heave. Tante Joan has summarized it nicely, IMHO

Denise, Keeper of the Dumpsters

abo...@hamlet.ucs.indiana.edu

Sep 12, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/12/95
to dpw...@aol.com
Hi Denise,
I finally made it over to usenet. Of course, I probably won't be
here to often, but I saw your name, so thought I'd say hi. And add my
two cents about why I hate Miguel. he can't act.
Anyone, friends from any of the networks, a college student LOVES mail!
Take care,
Andrew

abo...@hamlet.ucs.indiana.edu

Sep 12, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/12/95
to dpw...@aol.com

abo...@hamlet.ucs.indiana.edu

Sep 12, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/12/95
to dpw...@aol.com

Ariel8

Sep 12, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/12/95
cAN SOMEONE E MAIL ME TO WHATS GONG ON WITH ARLENE?
IS SHE LEAVING OR WHAT...??? I HAVEN'T READ THIS ANYWHERE..
THANKS
FRANCESCA

DPWard

Sep 12, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/12/95
In article <4332ji$a...@usenet.ucs.indiana.edu>,
abo...@hamlet.ucs.indiana.edu writes:

>And add my
>two cents about why I hate Miguel. he can't act.

Hi Andrew: Yes, that inability to act his way out of a paper bag has been
mentioned from time to time.

Did you finish your homework before you came over to usenet to play <g>
<ht>??

Denise

Joan0328

Sep 12, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/12/95
In article <4332ko$a...@usenet.ucs.indiana.edu>,
abo...@hamlet.ucs.indiana.edu writes:

>Hi Denise,
> I finally made it over to usenet. Of course, I probably won't be

>here to often, but I saw your name, so thought I'd say hi. And add my

>two cents about why I hate Miguel. he can't act.

>Anyone, friends from any of the networks, a college student LOVES mail!
>Take care,
>Andrew

Welcome. Stick around, you obviously have excellent critical faculties.
Tante Joan

Kathleen Lenkeit

Sep 12, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/12/95
I just added the GH to the header, nothing new in the post....

Kathleen Lenkeit

Sep 12, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/12/95
I've added the header....

Patricia Steward

Sep 12, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/12/95
In article <432c5a$aic...@dorsai.org>, Calz at Dorsai <ca...@dorsai.org> wrote:

>I would do it, but since I don't know who Miguel is, I obviously don't watch
>that particular soap, so I wouldn't know what header to put on the post.

Just a hint for would-be header police: I've ripped out the soaps page
of the TV Guide and put it next to the 'puter. Clears up these questions
pretty quickly.

--
Patricia Martin Steward pams...@nyx.cs.du.edu
I myself have never been able to find out precisely what feminism is;
I only know that people call me a feminist whenever I express senti-
ments that differentiate me from a doormat. --Rebecca West, 1913

Tahnda Bailey

Sep 13, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/13/95
I think that the character of Arlene is pretty much beyond saving. Its one thing to be bad to the bone, its another to purposefully and conciously set out to steal your daughter's man. This falls in the category of bad to the bone. So far, Arlene has showed no redeeming qualities. There is no spark of humanity in her that would warrant the transformation needed to keep her on the show. JaNut really cares about her daughter (in a strange way), Hairlor really thinks she is in love with Noah (again, in a strange way), Erica really loves her husband and child (Kendall not withstanding), even Kendall was vulnerable, she really wanted to find love, all Arlene can see is her libido, not much worth saving there. I'm afraid that She has to go, even though the actress plays her great, very over the top.

Tah...@water.ca.gov
Proud Mom to Skylarr and Spencer

Patricia Steward

Sep 14, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/14/95
In article <4378pe$k...@zephyr.water.ca.gov>,
Tahnda Bailey <tahnda@batgirl> wrote:

>I think that the character of Arlene is pretty much beyond saving. Its
>one thing to be bad to the bone, its another to purposefully and
>conciously set out to steal your daughter's man. This falls in the
>category of bad to the bone. So far, Arlene has showed no redeeming
>qualities. There is no spark of humanity in her that would warrant the
>transformation needed to keep her on the show.

Uh, 'scuse me, but... WHO SAID WE WANTED HER TRANSFORMED???

I want her to stay as delightfully conniving as she's always been!
And I want her to do it here, on AMC. Not somewhere else.

That's ARLENE I'm talking about, TPTB. Just in case you missed it.
ARLENE.

Joan0328

Sep 14, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/14/95
<tahnda@batgirl> writes:

>I think that the character of Arlene is pretty much beyond saving. Its
one

>thing to be bad to the bone, its another to purposefully and consciously

set
>out to steal your daughter's man. This falls in the category of bad to
the
>bone. So far, Arlene has showed no redeeming qualities. There is no
spark
>of humanity in her that would warrant the transformation needed to keep
her

>on the show. JaNut really cares about her daughter (in a strange way),
>Hairlor really thinks she is in love with Noah (again, in a strange way),
>Erica really loves her husband and child (Kendall not withstanding), even
>Kendall was vulnerable, she really wanted to find love, all Arlene can
see is
>her libido, not much worth saving there. I'm afraid that She has to go,
even
>though the actress plays her great, very over the top.

Well, you couldn't be more wrong, in MHO. Arlene is a wonderful mother.
She just is a slave to her hormones, is all. Why let a little thing like
that stop this truly terrific character when TPTB can keep Adam Chandler
healthy and well-supplied with female companionship. Why send this
wonderful actress off to rehab clinic limbo when Gloria can be transformed
from blackmailing slut to happy newlywed to psychotic break-dancing
husband poisoner to decaf pourer par excellence? No redeeming qualities?
How about she's an excellent tipper? She has fine office manners and
really knows her way around Excel 5 and Lotus 1-2-3. How about Arlene's
right brain, which is full of genuine love for her daughter and protective
instincts galore. Why punish her because her left brain is dominant?
Why? Why? WHY????

Tante Joan
FGC Laura's Backbone, FGC Sigmund Unlimited-Defender Against Base Canards,
2% FGC Emily, FGC Kevin Unlimited-Keeper of the Wine List, Member,
Precision Bobbie-Slapping Drill Team, MHA Miguel-Keeper of the Long
Knives, MHGC Luke

Kenneth Henderson

Sep 17, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/17/95
: <tahnda@batgirl> writes:

[...]

Well said Joan! My FAC and I thank you from the bottom of our hearts.

Keep Arlene!

Ken
--
Kenneth S. Henderson (hend...@wharton.upenn.edu)
WWW: http://futures.wharton.upenn.edu/~hender09/

Cher

Sep 22, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/22/95
In article <4351ih$6...@nyx10.cs.du.edu>, pams...@nyx10.cs.du.edu (Patricia

Steward) writes:
> In article <432c5a$aic...@dorsai.org>, Calz at Dorsai <ca...@dorsai.org>
> wrote:
> >
> >I would do it, but since I don't know who Miguel is, I obviously don't watch
> > >that particular soap, so I wouldn't know what header to put on the post.
>
> Just a hint for would-be header police: I've ripped out the soaps page
> of the TV Guide and put it next to the 'puter. Clears up these questions
> pretty quickly.
>
> Patricia Martin Steward pams...@nyx.cs.du.edu

I agree that headerless posts can be annoying, but I've never
quite understood what good it does to repost with the comment
"Just adding the header." When I see that, I don't read any
further, assuming I've probably already read it (since I'm
often pressed for time). If I'm going to respond to a post,
I'd probably respond to the original one, without the header,
anyway. (Of course *I* would always add the header :-) Well,
I DO try to be conscious of that.)

Am I missing some logic here?

--> Cher

Janice

Sep 22, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/22/95
Robin (Ho...@connect.net) wrote:

> I am the original poster of Why does everyone.....
> I would like to know why this post won't die? Why do people keep
> dredging it back up? It certainly is not the only headerless post
> in the newsgroup, but you would think that it is the way that it
> is held up for ridicule. I made this post, MY FIRST POST, a couple
> of months ago. PLEASE LET IT GO AWAY!!!!!!!!!!!

I will, I will. I promise!!! But first (oh no, here it comes), I thought
someone should answer the question about why one would add a header
afterward. It's because some of us have killfiles set up so that we
*only* see posts which have the particular soap abbreviation we're
looking for on them. By adding a header later, it ensures that everyone
gets to see the post. Now here's hoping this post will float into the
cyberabyss!!8)

Janice

Calz at Dorsai

Sep 22, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/22/95
In article <43u85v$s...@eccdb1.pms.ford.com>,
clin...@tc1018.pto.ford.com (Cher) wrote:

>I agree that headerless posts can be annoying, but I've never
>quite understood what good it does to repost with the comment
>"Just adding the header."

(snip)

>Am I missing some logic here?

No, not in my opinion. I too think reposting with no added input just to
include the header is kind of pointless, but others feel differently.
(Truth be told, some people's software does not allow the editing of a
header so the re-posts under the proper header could help in that instance.)

My usual practice is: If I want to respond, I add the header. If I don't
have anything to add to the post, I ignore it. Sometimes I send e-mail
reminding the person to include the header next time.

What really annoys me, though, are the people who perpetuate the error
endlessly, responding to the headerless post and leaving it that way. The
thread that this post originated from (Why does everyone hate Miguel)
persisted with no header for almost a month. Not one person thought to add
the header when they responded to the post.

Just an added aside, for what it's worth:

I found out recently that Miguel is a GH character. I should have known.
I've been keeping an unofficial count of the headerless posts, and those
regarding GH, for some reason, outnumber all the other headerless posts put
together. I don't know why this is, but it's true all the same. I'm not
flaming GH fans, here, just stating a fact. Perhaps the storylines get
people so excited that they forget to post the header abbreviation? Hmmm...
maybe I should start watching GH again. ;->

-Nancy- (ca...@dorsai.org)

Tim Holt

Sep 22, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/22/95
I am the original poster of Why does everyone.....
I would like to know why this post won't die? Why do people keep
dredging it back up? It certainly is not the only headerless post
in the newsgroup, but you would think that it is the way that it
is held up for ridicule. I made this post, MY FIRST POST, a couple
of months ago. PLEASE LET IT GO AWAY!!!!!!!!!!!

Cher, I totally agree with you about adding "just adding header".
Doesn't this take up "band width" or whatever it is called? It is
not like you can change the original post by doing so. Believe me,
if you could do this, I would have done it LONG ago. Added a few
words, ERASED a few words, changed a few words (irregardless).

Please don't start in on me about THAT again!

Robin

Patricia Steward

Sep 24, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/24/95

Cher <clin...@tc1018.pto.ford.com> wrote:

>I agree that headerless posts can be annoying, but I've never
>quite understood what good it does to repost with the comment
>"Just adding the header." When I see that, I don't read any
>further, assuming I've probably already read it (since I'm
>often pressed for time).

Basically, you just answered your own question. When I add a header,
I leave the original text in primarily as a courtesy because lots of people
have flaky news feeds. I've seen gazillions of posts with replies where
I never saw the original. Also, people who read the headerless post
will know right away, since the "header" statement comes at the beginning
of the post, not the end, and they can see the text attached.

--
Patricia Martin Steward pams...@nyx.cs.du.edu

It is loading more messages.