OT: Pam Grier/ South Park/ Bareback Mountain

1 view

Nancy l. Dylong

Dec 20, 2005, 12:49:33 AM12/20/05
The thread was too long to jump in on, so I wanted to add this to the mix;

South Park's great ideas:
From EW:
Ricky Blitt, the scribe behind the subversively silly new Johnny Knoxville
comedy The Ringer, says he was shocked when he recently came across a post
bashing him on the Rotten Tomatoes website. The post, from an irate South
Park fan, urged the animated show's creators, Matt Stone and Trey Parker, to
sue the makers of The Ringer (including producers Peter and Bobby Farrelly)
for ripping off an episode of the Comedy Central show in which Eric Cartman
pretends to be mentally challenged in order to qualify for the Special
Olympics - a premise that mirrors the concept of the Fox Searchlight film,
due to hit theaters Dec. 23.

I'm on South Park's side!

Now Pam Grier and blaxplotation movies;
Lifetime television (yes, I said Lifetime!) did a wonderfully funny movie in
the spirit of "This is Spinal Tap" called "Jackie's Back!". It was a story
of a black woman "of a certain age" who was trying to stage a comeback
after being out of the lime light for several years. She was a well known
singer who also did a series of movies in the blaxplotation vein. The movie
is shot as an extended this is your life interview and is just perfectly
done. Jackie is played (brilliantly) by Jenifer Lewis from "Sister Act".
Catch it if you can!
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0202409/

And finally, "Bareback Mountain" I caught it today in NYC, and loved it.
Cried like a baby, you could feel the anguish of what these two men had to
endure and their longing to just be able to be what they really were without
fear. To add to the mix, I saw it with my sister, who is a lesbian, and her
companion. They to gave it two thumbs up. The theater was packed, and the
comments from people walking out were all raves.

Aisling Willow Grey

Dec 20, 2005, 8:47:09 AM12/20/05
(in article <11qf6qf...@corp.supernews.com>):

> The thread was too long to jump in on, so I wanted to add this to the mix;
>
> South Park's great ideas:
> From EW:
> Ricky Blitt, the scribe behind the subversively silly new Johnny Knoxville
> comedy The Ringer, says he was shocked when he recently came across a post
> bashing him on the Rotten Tomatoes website. The post, from an irate South
> Park fan, urged the animated show's creators, Matt Stone and Trey Parker, to
> sue the makers of The Ringer (including producers Peter and Bobby Farrelly)
> for ripping off an episode of the Comedy Central show in which Eric Cartman
> pretends to be mentally challenged in order to qualify for the Special
> Olympics - a premise that mirrors the concept of the Fox Searchlight film,
> due to hit theaters Dec. 23. <<

The story is slightly backwards. It's the Farrelly brothers who are making
all the noise. They'd apparently been working on this story idea for a film
for some time, blissfully unaware of the South Park episode in question, and
now that they're in preproduction and it's been brought to their attention,
they've been making accusations all over town that Parker and Stone had been
approached with their "Ringer" script, which is patently untrue according to
Parker and Stone.

Aisling
FAC Will Cortlandt
Jewelled Frango 2001

--
Bah & the Humbugs Christmas Eve 2005 Podcast
Subscribe at: http://www.fjordstone.com/bah/bahcast.rss

cher

Dec 20, 2005, 9:53:52 AM12/20/05
In all fairness to South Park... they did a show on the Sundance film
festival where the festival is moved to South Park because it's become
too cliche. The featured theme of the movies shown at Sundance is gay
cowboys eating chocolate pudding. Just in case no one has noticed. I
guess those guys are truly the cutting edge of hollywoods hopes and
dreams. Anyway, check this out with a friend who watches the show before
you start throwing things at me for being the first person to say a
discouraging word about brokeback mountain. <smiling>

Asyl...@yahoo.com

Dec 20, 2005, 10:02:46 AM12/20/05
On Tue, 20 Dec 2005 13:47:09 GMT, Aisling Willow Grey
<ais...@fjordstone.com> wrote:

>>>On Tue, 20 Dec 2005 00:49:33 -0500, Nancy l. Dylong wrote
>(in article <11qf6qf...@corp.supernews.com>):
>
>> The thread was too long to jump in on, so I wanted to add this to the mix;
>>
>> South Park's great ideas:
>> From EW:
>> Ricky Blitt, the scribe behind the subversively silly new Johnny Knoxville
>> comedy The Ringer, says he was shocked when he recently came across a post
>> bashing him on the Rotten Tomatoes website. The post, from an irate South
>> Park fan, urged the animated show's creators, Matt Stone and Trey Parker, to
>> sue the makers of The Ringer (including producers Peter and Bobby Farrelly)
>> for ripping off an episode of the Comedy Central show in which Eric Cartman
>> pretends to be mentally challenged in order to qualify for the Special
>> Olympics - a premise that mirrors the concept of the Fox Searchlight film,
>> due to hit theaters Dec. 23. <<
>
>The story is slightly backwards. It's the Farrelly brothers who are making
>all the noise. They'd apparently been working on this story idea for a film
>for some time, blissfully unaware of the South Park episode in question, and
>now that they're in preproduction and it's been brought to their attention,
>they've been making accusations all over town that Parker and Stone had been
>approached with their "Ringer" script, which is patently untrue according to
>Parker and Stone.

Knoxville will never be able to do it as well as Cartman. I love
that little guy!

AG, listening to the south park xmas cd right now

Aisling Willow Grey

Dec 20, 2005, 11:29:10 AM12/20/05
(in article <m47gq11kook40irmc...@4ax.com>):

> On Tue, 20 Dec 2005 13:47:09 GMT, Aisling Willow Grey
> <ais...@fjordstone.com> wrote:
>

> AG, listening to the south park xmas cd right now <<

Around here, it just ain't Christmas until we've heard Mr. Garrison's song!
;-)

Another AG listening to the South Park Christmas CD right now

Nancy l. Dylong

Dec 20, 2005, 3:43:52 PM12/20/05

"Aisling Willow Grey" <ais...@fjordstone.com> wrote in message

For my family, it's Cartman's "Swiss Colony Beef Log"

Nancy l. Dylong

Dec 20, 2005, 3:51:39 PM12/20/05

"cher" <gruen...@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message

Discouraging word? I love it! This bunch can take a pun and run with! And I
agree, South Park is cutting edge and they are ripped off quite a bit.
That's why I posted the "The Ringer" item, as another example of an idea
being lifted from the show. Now I'm waiting for the movie about a Christian
rock band that pirates love songs and replaces all the names with Jesus!

cher

Dec 20, 2005, 4:17:27 PM12/20/05

LOL.... or instances of Saddam's love affair with Satan to be brought up
in his trial. <grin>

Aisling Willow Grey

Dec 20, 2005, 4:46:08 PM12/20/05
>> On Tue, 20 Dec 2005 15:43:52 -0500, Nancy l. Dylong wrote
(in article <11qgr79...@corp.supernews.com>):

Love that one, too! And Cartman's rendition of "Oh Holy Night."

Aisling Willow Grey

Dec 20, 2005, 4:46:56 PM12/20/05
>>On Tue, 20 Dec 2005 15:51:39 -0500, Nancy l. Dylong wrote
(in article <11qgrlr...@corp.supernews.com>):

Faith + 1!!!

Mary B

Dec 20, 2005, 5:01:42 PM12/20/05
"Nancy l. Dylong" <ndy...@access.net> wrote:

> And finally, "Bareback Mountain"

There's an Andrew Sullivan joke in there somewhere.

Mary
--
watch out for spam filter. take my name out of the domain.

Anthony D. Langford

Dec 20, 2005, 5:36:17 PM12/20/05

Mary B wrote:
> In article <11qf6qf...@corp.supernews.com>,
> "Nancy l. Dylong" <ndy...@access.net> wrote:
>

> > And finally, "Bareback Mountain"
>
> There's an Andrew Sullivan joke in there somewhere.

Only one? Not from what I've heard about Mr. Sullivan.

Anthony

SFJason

Dec 20, 2005, 6:23:18 PM12/20/05
> There's an Andrew Sullivan joke in there somewhere.

>Only one? Not from what I've heard about Mr. Sullivan.

Who is Andrew Sullivan?

SFJason

Anthony D. Langford

Dec 20, 2005, 6:46:29 PM12/20/05

He's a prominent conservative columnist and he has a website
www.andrewsullivan.com. He also happens to be gay.

Anthony

Nancy l. Dylong

Dec 20, 2005, 7:40:23 PM12/20/05

"Anthony D. Langford" <anthonyd...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Note to self: only post when sober.

Aisling Willow Grey

Dec 20, 2005, 10:09:46 PM12/20/05
>>On Tue, 20 Dec 2005 18:46:29 -0500, Anthony D. Langford wrote
(in article <1135122389....@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>):

He's also on Bill Maher's HBO show fairly frequently.

Laney

Dec 21, 2005, 9:58:19 AM12/21/05

"Nancy l. Dylong" <ndy...@access.net> wrote in message

> > In all fairness to South Park... they did a show on the Sundance film
> > festival where the festival is moved to South Park because it's become
> > too cliche. The featured theme of the movies shown at Sundance is gay
> > cowboys eating chocolate pudding. Just in case no one has noticed. I
> > guess those guys are truly the cutting edge of hollywoods hopes and
> > dreams. Anyway, check this out with a friend who watches the show before
> > you start throwing things at me for being the first person to say a
> > discouraging word about brokeback mountain. <smiling>
>
> Discouraging word? I love it! This bunch can take a pun and run with! And I
> agree, South Park is cutting edge and they are ripped off quite a bit.
> That's why I posted the "The Ringer" item, as another example of an idea
> being lifted from the show. Now I'm waiting for the movie about a Christian
> rock band that pirates love songs and replaces all the names with Jesus!

Last night they showed the South Park ep titled
"The Simpsons Already Did It." But now it's
beginning to look like South Park already did
it -- which is a little scary, if cool!

Laney

Laney

Dec 21, 2005, 10:01:08 AM12/21/05

> >> On Tue, 20 Dec 2005 15:43:52 -0500, Nancy l. Dylong wrote
> (in article <11qgr79...@corp.supernews.com>):
>

> > "Aisling Willow Grey" <ais...@fjordstone.com> wrote in message
> >> (in article <m47gq11kook40irmc...@4ax.com>):

> >> Around here, it just ain't Christmas until we've heard Mr. Garrison's
> > song!
> >> ;-)
> >>
> >> Another AG listening to the South Park Christmas CD right now
> >
> > For my family, it's Cartman's "Swiss Colony Beef Log" <<
>
> Love that one, too! And Cartman's rendition of "Oh Holy Night."

"It is the night of the Christmas trees and pies...
'Cause Jesus was born and so I get presents..."

But I think my favorite is Kyle's song about
being a lonely Jew at Christmas, from the first
Mr. Hankey episode.

Laney

Mary B

Dec 21, 2005, 4:04:27 PM12/21/05
In article <11qh92n...@corp.supernews.com>,

"Nancy l. Dylong" <ndy...@access.net> wrote:

That's okay, it let me get off a cheap wisecrack.

Mary B

Dec 21, 2005, 4:12:04 PM12/21/05
In article <1135122389....@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,

See the Wikipedia entry for more (and an explanation of my
snide comment up top).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_Sullivan

SFJason

Dec 22, 2005, 1:48:25 PM12/22/05
Thanks Mary, I have heard of him, but I've never read his blog. I
remember the controversy about his posting for sex in AOL while
supposedly condemning promiscuity. I love when hypocrits get busted on
their hypocracy.

SFJason

Donna B

Dec 22, 2005, 2:57:34 PM12/22/05
In rec.arts.tv.soaps.abc on 22 Dec 2005 10:48:25 -0800 in Msg.#
<1135277305.6...@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>, "SFJason"
<sfja...@aol.com> wrote:

Andrew Sullivan?

--
Donna B 8^> shallotpeel <*> Yahoo Messenger: shallotpeel

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop
reading them." - Ray Bradbury

Mary B

Dec 22, 2005, 4:12:04 PM12/22/05
In article <l81mq15ls5dp2me6k...@4ax.com>,
Donna B <shall...@delphiforums.com> wrote:

> In rec.arts.tv.soaps.abc on 22 Dec 2005 10:48:25 -0800 in Msg.#
> <1135277305.6...@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>, "SFJason"
> <sfja...@aol.com> wrote:
>
> > Thanks Mary, I have heard of him, but I've never read his blog. I
> > remember the controversy about his posting for sex in AOL while
> > supposedly condemning promiscuity. I love when hypocrits get busted on
> > their hypocracy.
>
> Andrew Sullivan?

Aye.

Donna B

Dec 22, 2005, 5:01:07 PM12/22/05
In rec.arts.tv.soaps.abc on Thu, 22 Dec 2005 15:12:04 -0600 in Msg.#
<spambox-E22616...@news.newsguy.com>, Mary B
<spa...@butlermary.net> wrote:

> In article <l81mq15ls5dp2me6k...@4ax.com>,
> Donna B <shall...@delphiforums.com> wrote:
>
> > In rec.arts.tv.soaps.abc on 22 Dec 2005 10:48:25 -0800 in Msg.#
> > <1135277305.6...@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>, "SFJason"
> > <sfja...@aol.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Thanks Mary, I have heard of him, but I've never read his blog. I
> > > remember the controversy about his posting for sex in AOL while
> > > supposedly condemning promiscuity. I love when hypocrits get busted on
> > > their hypocracy.
> >
> > Andrew Sullivan?
>
> Aye.

Well, I didn't know. I know some others have been caught over fishing for
that kind of activity while saying something different, but I didn't realize
he had. I'm not of a Republican bent, and for a long time rejected the idea
of gay Republicans at all, I did follow his blog during Election 2004, when
he made a lot of great sense, at least about politics - not about sex.

--
Donna B 8^> shallotpeel <*> Yahoo Messenger: shallotpeel

"This is gonna get pretty interesting." - Hoban 'Wash' Washburn; "Define
'interesting'." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds; "[deadpan] Oh God, oh God, we're
all going to die?" - 'Wash' SERENITY [2005]

Mary B

Dec 23, 2005, 6:40:40 PM12/23/05
In article <p78mq1hsa0u7q89qb...@4ax.com>,
Donna B <shall...@delphiforums.com> wrote:

> In rec.arts.tv.soaps.abc on Thu, 22 Dec 2005 15:12:04 -0600 in Msg.#
> <spambox-E22616...@news.newsguy.com>, Mary B
> <spa...@butlermary.net> wrote:
>
> > In article <l81mq15ls5dp2me6k...@4ax.com>,
> > Donna B <shall...@delphiforums.com> wrote:

> > > Andrew Sullivan?
> >
> > Aye.
>
> Well, I didn't know. I know some others have been caught over fishing for
> that kind of activity while saying something different, but I didn't realize
> he had. I'm not of a Republican bent, and for a long time rejected the idea
> of gay Republicans at all, I did follow his blog during Election 2004, when
> he made a lot of great sense, at least about politics - not about sex.

He made it to my sh*tlist back in late 2001 through 2002 when talk of war
in Iraq was starting for the first time and through the invasion. On
other boards, I was in the crazy minority pointing out how all the info
we were getting on Iraq was bogus, and the gung-hos were using
Sullivan's essays to tell us how wrong and unpatriotic we were.