A MSTing I found from alt.books.anne-rice

Ed Dravecky III

Mar 3, 1995, 12:55:37 PM3/3/95
Look, I didn't write this and am reproducing it here without the
express written consent of Major League Baseball, okay? If you
enjoy it, write la...@columbia.edu as she is the author.

[ Article crossposted from alt.humor.best-of-usenet ]
[ Posted on 1 Mar 1995 23:59:26 GMT ]

>From: Laura Ann <la...@columbia.edu>
>Newgroups: alt.books.anne-rice
>Subject: Re: <ad> GUARANTEED CREDIT REPAIR BY LAW FIRM

Ok darling dears, there was no way I was going to let this one slip by.
I now present to you "If VampChron met MST3K" for your viewing enjoyment.

--Laura Ann
to newsgroups...

ARMAND: How to finger...

LESTAT: Shut up and mind your own business! Now I'm going to teach you
how to flame.

DANIEL: Isn't there a course on that at the Learning Annex?

LESTAT: I'm sure I don't know. Now, do you understand the process Louis?

LOUIS: I think so. What we have before us is called a "spam" and is highly
looked down upon and therefore worthy of flame.

LESTAT: Correct.

LOUIS: Why to they call it a spam?

DANIEL: It's an old Monty Python gag.

LOUIS: I see. And what do you call someone who spams?

ARMAND: An annoying, dickless wonder.

DANIEL: What if they're female?

LESTAT: More's the pity.

ARMAND: Quiet, it's starting!

> Consumer Credit Advocates, PC
> 11 Pennsylvania Plaza, Suite 2101
> New York, NY 10001
> (212) 629-5261 (telephone) (212) 629-4762 (fax)
> E-MAIL: cc...@cyber.sell.com

LESTAT: Not terribly bright of them to tell us where they work now is it?
The next time I'm feeling peckish I could just go over there and
wipe out the whole accounting department.

ARMAND: They'd bore you to death first.

> Our LAW FIRM

LOUIS: Why are they shouting?

DANIEL: You might as well ask why are they spamming.

LOUIS: Why *are* they spamming?

LESTAT: I'm guessing lack of a real hobby.

> offers direct guaranteed effective credit
> restoration services by experienced attorneys.

DANIEL: Unlike those other places that offer guaranteed ineffective credit
restoration by moronic attorneys.

> THIS IS NOT A DO-IT-YOURSELF KIT.

LESTAT: Oh darn. And here I was saying to myself "If only some idiot could
offer me a do-it-yourself credit kit via e-mail."

> What can we do?

LOUIS: It occurs to me that if they have to ask *us* what their skills are
perhaps they are not the best people for the job.

> We have successfully facilitated the removal of Late
> Payments, Charge-offs, Foreclosures, Repossessions,
> Collection Accounts, Loan Defaults, Tax Liens, Judgments
> and Bankruptcies from our clients' credit reports.

DANIEL: It's amazing what a bottle of white-out can do.

> WE GUARANTEE THAT YOUR CREDIT CAN BE RESTORED!!!

ALL: *Stop* that!

> Who needs our services?

LOUIS: Again, if *they* have to ask...

> Anyone who has experienced the inconvenience and
> embarrassment of being turned down for a credit card, a
> lease or a purchase of an automobile.

LESTAT: Hey Armand, have you ever experienced the inconvenience and
embarrassment of being turned down for a credit card, a lease or a
purchase of an automobile?

ARMAND: Oh all the time. It's amazing how having a few million tucked away
makes banks unwilling to trust you.

LOUIS: It's good to know that they did their research and found the right
target audience for this post.

> Anyone who is unable to buy the house of their dreams
> due to denial of a mortgage application or who has to
> pay thousands of dollars more in mortgage interest than
> someone with good credit.

DANIEL: Should probably look elsewhere for good advice.

ARMAND: I think this would fall under the catagory of Social Darwinism.

> Anyone who has been turned down for a job or promotion
> due to derogatory credit items on a credit report.

LESTAT: What's a derogatory credit item?

ARMAND: Something like "You owe us $500 you stupid jerk."

LESTAT: Ah.

> Anyone in business who has lost a deal because a person
> or firm wanted to see his/her credit report before
> doing business.

LESTAT: Mojo did his business on the rug the other day yet I felt no need
to check his credit report first.

LOUIS: I don't think that's what they meant, Lestat.

> Anyone who has been unable to establish credit.

DANIEL: Let's see... someone out there actually needs help from a spam
and yet they've been unable to have a responsible financial career?
Who would have thought?

> THE FOUR GREAT MYTHS OF CREDIT:

ARMAND: #1.. This firm will help you.

LESTAT: I thought number one was the larch.

DANIEL: No, it's the bearded guy on Star Trek.

LOUIS: I think that covers the required subreferences for flames.

LESTAT: Indeed.

> Myth #1: It is illegal or immoral to have your credit
> report cleared.

LESTAT: It is?

LOUIS: Yes, the 11th Commandment: Thou shalt not have thy credit report
cleared.

DANIEL: Did they have credit reports back then?

LOUIS: Not really, but God was thinking ahead.

> Fact: It is not illegal nor immoral. In fact,
> that is what the Fair Credit Reporting Act is all
> about. The act was enacted by Congress in 1971.

ARMAND: And here I thought my tax dollars were going to waste.

LESTAT: You pay taxes?

ARMAND: Well no, but I was speaking in theory.

> One of its purposes as to give consumers the
> protection of the law and to help guard against
> any unwarranted invasion of a consumer's right to
> privacy.

DANIEL: The other purpose involved this weird idea about animals and
porno flicks. That's democracy for you.

> Myth #2: The information on a credit report cannot be
> changed.

LESTAT: Where are they getting these myths from anyway? I've never heard
of them.

ARMAND: Gee, Lestat, are you trying to imply that this poster is making
it up as they go along?

ALL: Nooooo...

> Fact: Actually, the opposite is true under the
> Fair Credit Reporting Act. Federal and State laws
> require that items be removed if they are not 100%
> accurate or cannot be verified in a timely
> manner.

LESTAT: I'm confused. Is it the opposite of the fact that's true under the
Act or is the fact that it's the opposite of the myth which is
the fact?

ARMAND: I think that the fact about the opposite of the myth is actually true
provided that the myth of the fact is 100% accurate and/or you
are verifying it in a timely manner and you are a joint couple
filing singly.

LESTAT: Ok then.

> Myth #3: It is impossible to get a bankruptcy off a
> credit report.

DANIEL: Now that *is* a myth. A little club soda does wonders for getting
bankruptcy off credit reports *and* fine washables.

> Fact: Bankruptcies can come off credit reports
> like any other derogatory item.

ARMAND: Which is to say, not at all if you use this firm.

> The nature of the derogatory item has nothing to do with its removal
> under the Fair Credit Reporting Act.

ARMAND: Neither does the hiring of this firm, but I repeat myself.

LESTAT: Spam will do that to you.

DANIEL: Ewwww.

> Myth #4: Credit Reporting Agencies are empowered with
> some kind of governmental authority.

LOUIS: Would it be overly cynical to ask if the *government* was empowered
with some kind of governmental authority?

DANIEL: I think so.

LOUIS: Ok then, I won't mention it.

> Fact: Absolutely Not!! They are simply large
> corporations whose primary goal is to make a
> profit like any other business.

LESTAT: Oh God, this isn't Make.Money.Fast again is it!?!

ARMAND: I don't think so. This doesn't look like it was posted by a high
school freshman with far too much time on his hands.

ALL: Whew!

> If you have ever applied for or received credit, a file
> exists in one or more of the credit bureaus.

ARMAND: Not necessarily a file about *you*, just a random file that exists.

LESTAT: Files? Is a credit bureau like the Talamasca?

DANIEL: No, credit bureaus are much older yet surprisingly infinately less
interesting.

> These companies collect, store and distribute as much credit
> information as they can find,

LESTAT: Which I'm sure makes their employees simply facinating to talk to
at parties.

> retaining negative information on a credit report for 7 to 10 years.

DANIEL: <imitating a Midol commercial> My credit report feels so achy and
bloated.

LESTAT: Well, once a month a credit report retains about 7 to 10 years
worth of negative information.

DANIEL: Does this mean my credit report is becoming a woman now?

ARMAND: Oh be quiet!

> This information is evaluated by potential creditors to
> determine your credit worthiness.

ALL: <imitating Wanye's World> OUR CREDIT'S NOT WORTHY! OUR CREDIT'S NOT
WORTHY!

> Credit reporting agencies are in business to protect
> the interests of the creditors.

LESTAT: And because they failed out of a real law school.

LOUIS: That's not very nice.

LESTAT: Oh come on, Louis, they deserve it!

LOUIS: No, I meant your insult, I thought you could do better.

LESTAT: Sorry, all this drivel is making me tired. I'll try harder next
time.

> the LAW FIRM's

LOUIS: *Again* with the shouting.

> goal is
> to help and protect the individual consumer from
> inaccurate credit reporting.

LESTAT: And to get back at all those frat guys who beat us up and stole our
pocket protectors.

LOUIS: That's more like it.

> The president of our LAW FIRM

DANIEL: Insert your own gratuitous Hair Club for Men joke here.

> has been practicing consumer law since 1984.

ARMAND: He's not very good at it, but he's practicing.

> The staff of our firm has
> successfully processed, disputed and challenged
> thousands of client credit reports.

LOUIS: I notice that they don't say that they *won*, only that they did the
paperwork.

LESTAT: Well even *I* know about the laws of false advertising.

> Our legal fee is based o the number of negative items

DANIEL: What is this, the 90s version of the Star Spangled Banner?
o/~ O the number of negative items... o/~

ARMAND: Never, ever do that again or I may have to hurt you.

DANIEL: Promises, promises.

> that appear on a client's credit reports, issued b the

LOUIS: I don't know about you, but it's the companies with the spelling
errors in their posts that really get my confidence going.

> three national credit bureaus. Our retainer agreement
> offers a MONEY BACK GUARANTEE

DANIEL: Let's hear it for the caps lock key ladies and gentlemen!

LESTAT: God, it's like back in the 80s when everyone discovered how to change
fonts on their word processors and they started creating the
equivilant of computer ransom notes.

LOUIS: I was thinking that this was more like the first draft of that
infinate number of monkeys and typewriters experiment.

> stating that if any negative item is not deleted, upgraded or corrected
> from a client's credit file,

ARMAND: Tough luck sucker!

> it will give the client a
> full refund for that item or continue to process the
> client's file at no additional fee until that item is
> corrected, upgraded or deleted.

LESTAT: Or until our firm goes out of business. No prize for guessing
which will come first.

> THE ONLY THING YOU HAVE TO LOSE IS YOUR BAD CREDIT!!

DANIEL: And perhaps any once of pride you had left in your body so go for
it folks!

LESTAT: They wouldn't dare keep this shouting up would they?

LOUIS: Yeah, and I was a virgin when you met me.

LESTAT: *What*?

LOUIS: We'll talk about it later.

> PLEASE

LOUIS: Told you.

> CONTACT THE

LESTAT: Nearest hitman you can find and send him to this

> LAW FIRM AND

ARMAND: Tell him to

> LEAVE

DANIEL: A trail of corpses behind him.

LOUIS: Sigh, dare to dream.

> YOUR FULL NAME, MAILING ADDRESS AND TELEPHONE NUMBER SO WE MAY FORWARD
> FURTHER INFORMATION AND INSTRUCTIONS TO YOU ABOUT OUR
> SERVICE.

LESTAT: Oh yeah, I've got nothing better to do with my time than to have you
guys call me up five times a day to give me the same message.

LOUIS: Is that how many times they posted this?

DANIEL: I think they posted it at least three times on every newsgroup.

LOUIS: Which is roughly...?

ARMAND: Twelve times too many.

> Consumer Credit Advocates, PC
> 11 Pennsylvania Plaza, Suite 2101
> New York, NY 10001
> (212) 629-5261 (telephone) (212) 629-4762 (fax)

LESTAT: Boy, they're really asking for it aren't they?

LOUIS: Well, it's that Social Darwinism again.

> E-MAIL: cc...@cyber.sell.com

DANIEL: Look at that, their e-mail address.

LOUIS: So it is.

LESTAT: Yup, their e-mail address.

ARMAND: Uh-huh.

LOUIS: Not that we would *ever* suggest spamming them in return.

DANIEL: Or sending them a virus.

LESTAT: Or stealing all their records.

ARMAND: Or shutting down their system.

LOUIS: Nope.

DANIEL: Never.

LESTAT: Not in a million years.

ARMAND: Perish the thought.
--
Moderators accept or reject articles based solely on the criteria posted
in the Frequently Asked Questions. Article content is the responsibility