MSTed: Feminism--Mask for Marxism? 2/3

M Sampo

Feb 14, 1995, 11:01:43 PM2/14/95
(Mike and the bots are making their way back to their seats)

Tom: Heh-heh. That was fun!
Mike: Yeah, but my throat hurts now. How does he DO that every week?

>We are *live*, again. And on the other end of the telephone is
>Andrea Pearson.

Crow: From where?
Mike and Tom: Pittsfield, Massachusetts.

> And we're gonna be continuing to talk about the
>Gender Equity in Education Act. I profess a great deal of
>ignorance here on this subject.

Mike: As in most things...

>Andrea, I believe you put out a little newsletter or something on
>this, don't you?

>PEARSON:
>Yeah, I sure do.

Crow: Hey, she's Editor in CHIEF!!

>VALENTINE:
>Tell me about that, too.

>PEARSON:
>Well, anyone who's interested in obtaining the newsletter can
>either write to me or call me. The address is: Americans in
>Exile, P.O. Box 2636, Pittsfield, Massachusetts, 01202. And my
>phone number is (413) 499-3593.

Tom: Alert the Jerky Boys!!

>VALENTINE:
>Oh, I have that number! I thought maybe you had a different
>number for that. O.K. It's "Americans in Exile". Ah-hah! Are
>*you* an "American in exile"?

Crow: This guy has no clue, does he?
Mike: Apparently not.

>PEARSON:
>I think that most people who have the traditional belief systems
>about what marriage is, what the parents' role is towards their
>children, and so forth and so on, *are* "exiled" in America
>today.

Mike: Also, if you live in Wisconsin...

>VALENTINE:
>O.K. Andrea, will you send out a sample if people write to you
>and say that they'd like to see it?

Tom: ...as unlikely as that may seem?

>PEARSON:
>Yeah, I sure will!

Crow (in woman's voice): Heck, I've GOT 150,000 copies in my living room!

>VALENTINE:
>O.K. Good. We got that done.
>Now, this Gender Equity in Education Act. (I *should* know all
>about it.) I don't know a thing about it.

Mike: Hence the piercing, laser-like nature of my questions.

> When did they
pass this?

>PEARSON:
>It was passed in 1993.

>VALENTINE:
>Oh, last year!

Tom: Mike, I'm gonna kill him. Please let me kill him!! Please!
Mike: Easy, boy, easy.

>PEARSON:
>Yeah. And what it does is, it allows, first of all, for the
>connection of major government systems: Health and Human
>Services, uh there's... They call it "The Link-up for Learning".
>And what it does is, it puts together a *huge* federal-level
>method for tabulating where students are: their socio-economic
>status, their race, their sex, and so forth...

Crow: Sounds pretty sinister, so far...

VALENTINE:
>Oh, is this the thing that Beverly Eckman has helped uncover in
>her book about education?

>PEARSON:
>It's very likely that it may be related to that.

Tom (woman's voice): Because I have no idea what you're talking about.

> I don't
know if
>she's aware of this or not. But one thing that it says here (I'm
>reading), it says, "improve inter-agency communications and
>information sharing, including developing local-area
>telecommunication networks, software development, database
>integration and management." And this is with major areas of the
>federal government. There's a federal inter-agency task force
>that's been set up "consisting of the Secretary of Education,
>Housing and Urban Development, Health and Human Services, and
>heads of other federal agencies, as appropriate."

Crow (whispers): My God!
Mike: They ADMIT to that??

This
is a huge
>bill. It's $360 million in the first year.

Tom: Spending money on education??? Insanity!!

>VALENTINE:
>All right, now, this is strange. Most Americans, including
>myself, would think that's awfully innocuous

Crow: Because it is.

> --
telling the
>bureaucrats of our government to get together and computerize.
>But what you're saying is, by having government bureaucrats get
>together and computerize, they are micro-managing lives in a way
>that is detrimental to our traditional society.

Mike: Well, an inefficient, wasteful bureaucracy IS more traditional...

>PEARSON:
>Well it *is* invasive to the family. But it's also particularly
>disturbing that the kind of things that they're paying attention
>to are the gender role socialization within a particular
>student's family. And also, you know this bill provides for so
>much, it's difficult to talk about *all* of it. But...

>VALENTINE:
>Well, wait a minute: gender role socialization inside a
>particular family??

Tom: What a great idea! I'll call it "The Real World"!

>PEARSON:
>That's right.

>VALENTINE:
>How do they go about doing this? What do they do?

Crow: Well, first they start kissing lightly...

>PEARSON:
>Well, one thing is to change the textbooks so they're considered
>to be "gender equitable".

Mike: So they don't go making any little baby textbooks...

> Another thing that they do is, they
put
>moneys into different parts of the country: "At least one grant,"
>(and I'm quoting here), "in each of the ten federal regions."
>That's *their* words.

Tom: And damning words they are!

>Also, in the U.N. [United Nations] treaty, they talk about this
>same sort of thing being put into the education system. We're
>getting into conformity with U.N. law here.

Crow (as the old guy in Teenage Caveman): The word is the law!

>VALENTINE:
>All right, does that mean... I'm trying to get this in a
>practical, down-to-earth, 1950s mentality -- which I'm stuck with

(Tom, Crow and Mike snicker)
Tom: ...'cause I'm an idiot...

>when it comes to education and school. That means that boys don't
>go to wood shop anymore, and girls don't go to "home ec." [i.e.,
>home economics]

>PEARSON:
>Uh...

Crow: Even Andrea's stunned by his cluelessness!

>VALENTINE:
>They all go to sex education.

Mike: All this guy thinks about is sex, sex, sex.

>PEARSON:
>Well... It's not that simple. There's "set-asides" for pregnant
>teenagers. It allows for the erection of day-care centers --
>either next to the school or nearby the school, with
>transportation provided. It provides for all kinds of special
>privileges for girls...

Tom: Will the madness never end????

>VALENTINE:
>I got ya. All right.
>Andrea is my guest, Andrea Pearson and the American in Exile. And
>we're gonna open up the phone lines to you.

Crow: THAT should be informative...

>I'm Tom Valentine. This is *Radio Free America*.

>[...break...]

(Tom, Crow and Mike relax)
Tom: I could use one because--

>All right. We are back,

Tom: AAAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHH!!!!
Mike: It's an ambush!!
Crow: I'm losing it, Mike...(All begin crying.)

> live. My guest is Andrea. Andrea
Pearson,
>the producer of "Americans in Exile" newsletter, out of Post
>Office Box 2636, in

Crow, Tom and Mike (sobbing): Pittsfield, Massachusetts

> Pittsfield, Massachusetts, 01202.
>And Andrea, this Gender Equity in Education Act sounds like a
>massive thing, sort of like the crime bill.

Tom: The Crime Bill??!!
Tom, Crow and Mike (openly weeping): NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

And it
slipped
>through in 1993. There wasn't a lot of fanfare, was there?

(Mike and the bots continue weeping and trying to console one another.)

>PEARSON:
>There wasn't a lot of fanfare. I'd be surprised if most Americans
>knew about it. I think that they'd be *horrified* if they knew
>what was in it.

Crow (pulling himself together): Guys, c'mon. We can make it.
Mike (doing the same): You're right, Crow. Let's stay focused.

>VALENTINE:
>Well I'm... I don't even fully understand yet. We've been talking
>about it, but um...

Tom (attempting to riff, still a little weepy): But I wasn't really
listening.
Mike: There ya go, Tom. Back on the horse.

> It's a big bill, and you say it's horrifying.
>Yet I don't sense the urgency. Somehow, we're not getting it
>across, of how bad it is.

Crow: Maybe if you explained it through interpretive dance.

>PEARSON:
>Well, one thing that seems to me like a real whopper is, that an
>"at risk" student is defined here. And this is the definition.
>(I'd like to read it, 'cause I think it's so serious): "Many 'at
>risk' students suffer the effects of inadequate nutrition and
>health care, overcrowded and unsafe living conditions and
>homelessness, family and gang violence, substance abuse, sexual
>abuse and child abuse, involuntary migration, and limited English
>proficiency, that often creates severe barriers to learning" the
>knowledge and skills, and so forth.

Mike: Right about now, I'm guessing this guy is starting to really have
second thoughts about the whole "let's have Andrea from Pittsfield as a
guest" idea...
Tom: Yep...

>Then it later... This is one thing that they're going to give
>grants to support, is grants to local education agencies to
>improve educational performances of "at risk" students by
>removing barriers to their learning.

Crow: And now his mind is wandering to yesterday's golf game....

>The trouble is, is with Bill of Rights, is that what *happens*
>is, the government starts stepping in and saying that poverty,
>and someone who's unemployed, may in fact be... uh, that
>constitutes "dysfunction" within a family. And you know as well
>as I do that this monstrous "child protective services" industry
>that's been set up, [it] gobbles up people.

>VALENTINE:
>They abuse it. I mean, we have had... We've had people (and
>you've probably heard 'em on this show) that are *very* concerned
>about the social welfare abuse system, where a child can actually
>point a finger at the parents and yell, "Mommy and daddy are
>treating me bad!" -- and the State's gonna come in and throw
>mommy and daddy in the slammer and put the kid in a foster home!

Mike: Utterly bored with Andrea's line of discussion, Tom LEAPS on to the
first chance to change the subject...

>PEARSON:
>Oh sure. And what it does is, it integrates services,
>regulations, databases, eligibility procedures, and funding
>sources, "focusing school and community resources on prevention
>and early intervention strategies, to address student needs
>holistically."

Mike: ....buuuuut, Andrea fails to pick up on it..
(Tom and Crow sigh)

>Now the trouble is, is that what's happening in this country is
>we are having Marxism imposed with the force of law on the
>people. And Marxists believe that children should be in the care
>of the State.

Crow: Those guys can't even write a good sketch!
Mike: I did that joke already, Crow.
Crow: Oh, sorry...

> Now the forcible removal of children is one thing.

Tom:....Newt Gingrich approves of.

>But the coercion of the child away from the American culture and
>values, their Christian, or Judeo-Christian values,

Mike: Whoops!!
Crow: That was a close one!
Mike: Almost gave away the store, there.

is something
>that I think would disturb a lot of people. And the roles of
>husband and wife are something that our government has an
>unhealthy interest in.

Tom: Especially when they play "The headmaster and the stable boy."

>VALENTINE:
>Well frankly, the federal government especially has *no* business
>in *any* of these things, that you're Talking' about.

Crow: They should stick to deporting foreigners!

> The
schools
>should be run by the local school districts, or the people who
>are sending their kids to that school ought to run that district.

Tom: He really hasn't been listening, has he?
Mike: Oh, he has, he's just desperately flailing around to find a way to
make
her drab little paranoia controversial.

>If you'd like to join us (my guest is Andrea Pearson),

Mike: ...and I can't tell you how sorry I am about that....

and if
>you'd like to join us, it's 1-800-878-8255.
>Did you know that this Feminism, that she's talking about, had
>this Marxist agenda?

Tom (as Sally Struthers): Sure! We all do!!

And it's been insidious! You know,
they...
>What was it that somebody said?

Crow: You're a dink?

> "You don't lose your
freedom in
>one big fell swoop. You lose it little by little." I think that's
>what's happening here, Andrea.

Mike: Work with me on this, honey.

>ANDREA PEARSON:
>Absolutely, I think it is. Also, when Congress considered passing
>this U.N. treaty, they talk about how "patterns of conduct" is in
>article five of the treaty.

Crow: Again with the U.N.!
Tom: Well, the U.N. is just so fascinating, Crow!

>TOM VALENTINE:
>All right. Now this U.N. Convention, this treaty, is this the one
>that goes clear back to 1957, in establishing the U.N.?

>PEARSON:
>Uh...

Mike: Once again, Andrea is stunned at what a bonehead he is.

>VALENTINE:
>Or is this something new?

>PEARSON:
>Well, actually, it was signed on behalf of the united States in
>1980. It has not been ratified yet. But one provision in the
>document is to say that the different States' parties can bring
>their own federal laws into compliance.
>Now what this treaty does,

Tom: And Tom drifts off again.....

in lots of ways, is it regulates

>conduct, it alters culture... It talks about how the State should
>provide for health care, and women should have equal opportunity
>for all sorts of things -- that I don't think the American people
>*want* women to have equal opportunity, say, for military
>service.

Crow: Now I get it! She doesn't want to get drafted! THAT's what this is
about!

> Or we don't necessarily feel that our "patterns of
>conduct" or our culture are something that we want changed.

Mike: If squalid was good enough for our grandparents, it's good enough
for
us!

>What disturbs me the most about this is that there was no public
>debate about this [e.g. The Gender Equity in Education Act]. And
>I believe that anyone who's a historian or who has studied
>American history *knows* that people like Thomas Jefferson,
>George Washington, and so forth, were not "white male dictators"
>in general, and certainly did not abuse their wives. And yet
>Marxists believe that they did.

Tom: Whoa! Did she shift gears on us again???
Mike (laughing): She sure did! Wow!

>Just this one piece of evidence of that: if you look at the
>*Notes on the State of Virginia* by Thomas Jefferson... And he's
>writing, in this case, about the American Indians. But he's
>talking about how *they* relate, in terms of men and women. And
>he says, "It is civilization alone which places women in the
>enjoyment of their natural equality."

Crow (in woman's voice): It's completely out of context, but it's also
meaningless in it's own right.

>And I believe that, in America, women were free creatures who
>were very happy the way they were. And not only that, they worked
>when they wanted to.

Mike: Like when they were hungry.

> There was, in fact, no discrimination
>against women.

Tom (in woman's voice): That Susan B. Anthony ruined it for everybody!

>VALENTINE:
>Well if they wanted to [work], they certainly could.

Crow (cheerfully): For sixty cents on the dollar!

>All right. If you'd like to join us, 1-800-878-8255. Andrea
>Pearson is my guest. "Feminizing and Marxizing Us".

Mike (trying to say it): Marxiziziziz...
Tom: We gotta go, guys... (They get up to go)

> I'm Tom
>Valentine, *Radio Free America*.

Tom, Crow and Mike (as they leave, variously trying to say it):
Marxizizeiz... Marxizzeezzz...Marxizzzizeizz....

>[...break...]

1......2......3.......4........5.......6.......Clunk!

[SOL]
(Tom, Mike and Crow are gathered at the desk)

Tom: So, Mike, let me see if I can summarize our Ms. Pearson's little
theory...

Mike: Oh, sure! Give it a shot, Tom.

Tom: Okay, it goes like this (clears throat). The entire federal
government
is infested with Marxist radicals, working together and bent on destroying
our way of life.

Crow: Check.

Tom: So any federal government program, no matter how benign it may seem
on
the outside, is simply another tool in this massive government conspiracy.

Mike: Exactly.

Tom: And the BIGGER the federal program is, the more evil it must be
spreading.

Crow: Bingo.

Tom: So if a program benefits, say, little girls, it must REALLY be a plot
turn them into feminist man-haters.

Mike: Uh-huh. That's about it. I think you've got it Tom--

Tom (continuing): AND based on some obscure writings of Thomas Jefferson
about INDIANS or something, no woman in the history of America has ever
been
discriminated against.

Crow:....iiiit kinda falls apart for me, there, Tom ol' buddy--

Tom (continuing): AND, of course, Marxists want to take kids away from
their
parents and put them in orphanages, but then so does Newt Gingrich...but
that
would make Newt Gingrich a Marxist, but we know Newt Gingrich isn't a
Marxist...

Crow: Uh-oh...

Tom (starting to lose it): ...but the government is FULL of Marxists and
Newt
Gingrich is IN the government, so that means he IS a Marxist....

Mike (getting worried): Tom, take it easy...

Tom: ...but he says he isn't...but that would mean Newt is a liar, but if
he's lying when he says he isn't lying than he's telling the truth...but
he
can't be telling the truth if he's a liar.....(voice slowing
down)...daisy,
daisy....(and Tom's head explodes).

(Crow looks at Mike, annoyed).
Crow (imitating Mike): "Oh, sure! Give it a shot, Tom."

Mike (flustered): I didn't know it would...[commercial sign lights]

Crow (calling): GYPSY!!!

Mike: (to the camera) We'll be right back.

[commercial]

End of Section 2
Sampo
I've undergone a complex personal evolution wherein painful confusion has
given way to what I like to think of as some degree of wisdom, culminating
in my current Zarathustrian sense of self. Is that it?