[MiSTied]: 'Encounters' (4/6)

hei...@imap2.asu.edu

Jul 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/19/96

[Continued from Part 3]

> Morning on Earth.
>
> Deanna awakens in her Home on Earth.

Mike: Any particular *part* of Earth?
Tom: I'm guessing it's the Land That Looks Like The Back Of A Studio Lot.

> She shares the place with her husband and their two children.
> Alexander, now a young man, also lives with them.

Crow: He refuses to get a job, and spends all day watching talk shows.

> It is some
> years after their tour of duty aboard Enterprise. Worf, a person
> who always answers cries for help from his people, is getting
> ready for the day.

Tom: Tom, a robot who always contributes to charities, is vomiting into his
popcorn bucket.
Crow: Crow, a robot who always cleans up his room, is inviting the author
to bite him.
Mike: Mike, a person who always *holds on to the RAM chips*, is asking you
two to shut up.

> The dream sequence expands upon the conversation Deanna had with
> her husband while Enterprise was in spacedock. Soft-focus
> lenses, long lenses, close-ups, steadicams, and musical themes
> for Deanna and Worf help dramatize her dream.

Crow: I wish he's soft-focus it enough so we don't have to see it!

> The underlying
> themes of her dream include love, commitment, duty, honor,
> compassion, and self-sacrifice.

Mike: With a side order of fries.

> A Klingon from Worf's Homeworld is running to the House.
>
> When he gets close enough to the secluded house he yells out,

Tom: Get out! The calls are coming from inside the house!

> "Worf, the Klingon Empire needs you."
>
> Worf (He talks out the Bedroom Window.)
>
> Klingon, why does the empire need me?
>
> Outside the Bedroom Window.
>
> Klingon

Crow [as Klingon]: Mr. Cox? Why are you throwing food out the window?

> The empire is crumbling. Only you, the eldest son of Mog, can
> save it.

Mike: Only you, who hold the key to the Great Spackle Mines!

> Deanna gets out of Bed and goes to Worf.
>
> Troi
>
> Worf, don't leave me.
>
> Worf
>
> Deanna, my people need me.
>
> Troi
>
> I need you. Our children need you.

Tom [as Troi]: Our pets need you. The house needs you. The plants need
you.

> Worf
>
> I hear the voice of the warrior within me. I must answer it.

Crow: Sheesh, he's turning into Joan of Arc.
Mike: 'Saint Worf of Klingon.' Nope. Doesn't have the same ring.

> The Kitchen.
>
> Their Children and Alexander are eating Breakfast.
>
> Troi
>
> Children, come see your father off.

[Crow gestures]
Mike: Crow! She said 'see' him off, not *flip* him off!
Crow [snickering]: Sorry. My mistake.

> The Children go to Deanna and Worf.
>
> Worf
>
> Alexander, you're the man of the house now. Please take care of
> your stepmother, your stepbrother and your stepsister for me.

Crow [as Alexander]: All *right*!
Tom [as Troi]: Oh, no. Nonononononono!
Mike: That's enough, you two.

> Deanna and Worf's children speak up. They are holding Deanna's
> hand. Worf, framed by the door, is about to leave. Worf blocks
> daylight entering the kitchen's doorway.

Mike [child's voice]: Ah, dad...could you move? You're blocking my light.
Crow [child's voice]: Yeah, don't let the door hit you on the way out.

> Boy
>
> Can you bring me a present from the Homeworld?
>
> Girl
>
> Yes, do bring back presents.

Mike: You'd think Wu could come up with better names than *those*.

> Worf
>
> I'll find good presents for both of you.

Tom [as Worf]: Great..I'll be carting *toys* around the whole time. I'll be
the laughing stock of the whole *planet*!

> Outside the House.
>
> Worf picks up his Things.

Crow: And just what *things* are those?
Mike: I *don't* want to know.

> Worf
>
> Deanna, I'll see you and the children soon.
>
> Deanna gives Worf a Kiss.

Tom: Mmm...Hershey's chocolate.

> Troi
>
> We'll be waiting for you.
>
> Deanna and the Children wave to Worf and the Klingon.

Mike: Have fun storming the castle!
Tom: Do you think they have a chance?
Crow: Lord, I hope not!

> Months pass.
>
> Morning on Earth.
>
> A Klingon is running to the House.

[All start humming 'Chariots of Fire.']

> Deanna is in the Kitchen.

Mike: Maybe this is some modern jump-rope rhyme.

> She looks out the Window and sees the Klingon.
>
> She calls for her Children.
>
> Troi
>
> Children, come outside with me.

Crow: What, will she spontaneously combust and burn the house down if it's
bad news?

> Deanna runs Outside with her Children to meet the Klingon.
>
> Klingon
>
> Deanna, Worf is dead.
>
> Troi (She and the Children start to Cry.)
>
> Did he die honorably?
>
> Klingon
>
> He did.

Tom [as Klingon]: His burial, however, was anything *but* honorable.

> Troi
>
> Is the empire safe?
>
> Klingon
>
> Without Worf's sacrifice the empire would've crumbled.
>
> Troi
>
> We'll miss him.

Mike [falsetto]: At least for a bit...
Crow [falsetto]: Saaaay..how do you feel about holy rings?

> Her Home on Earth fades.
>
> Back on Enterprise.
>
> She stumbles and Worf catches her.
>
> Worf
>
> Deanna, are you all right? What happened to you?
>
> Troi
>
> I've just experienced my worst nightmare. I believe Enterprise
> is in a place where people's dreams and nightmares become
> reality.

Tom [as Troi]: I know this because I read the author's description a few
pages ago.

> We must leave this place immediately.

Mike: So how can she tell that what she's seeing *now* is reality?

> Riker
>
> Data, can you explain what happened?
>
> Data
>
> Enterprise phased through a dimensional rift.

Tom: Here it is, ladies and gentlemen, the standard dimensional rift!
[All cheer and applaud the appearance of the standard dimensional rift.]

> Riker
>
> How do we get out of here?
>
> Data
>
> I don't know.

Mike: C'mon, Data! Where's your insightful, technobabbling answers?
Crow: I think that emotion chip dumbed him down.

> Riker
>
> Worf, run a sensor sweep of the area. Counselor Troi, do you
> think the journey through the dimensional rift affected the crew
> yet?
>
> Troi
>
> It's too soon to tell. I think our journey here affected me
> first because I'm empathic.

Mike: Or because she's more susceptible to stupid nightmares.

> Worf
>
> Nothing's out there. It's an endless void. The dimensional rift
> is on our sensors but it's hard analyze.
>
> The Bridge Turbolift's Doors open. Guinan enters.
>
> Guinan
>
> Captain Riker, you'll find a planet on Enterprise sensors. Set a
> course for it.

Mile [as Riker]: Yes, *ma'am*! After all, I'm only the *captain* of this
ship.

> Riker
>
> Guinan?
>
> Guinan
>
> A Traveler is near Enterprise. I can feel his presence.

Tom [as Vader]: Obi-Wan *is* here.

> Go to
> him. He can help us.
>
> Worf
>
> Long-range sensors are showing a class-M planet in the void.
> It's a half light year from here.

Crow: Sheesh. If they have to use *long*-range sensors for that, what good
are the *short*-range sensors?

> Riker
>
> Ensign, plot a course for the planet. Let's see what out there.

Tom: Uh, Riker..Guinan just *told* you what's out there.
Mike: That's a ripoff too! That's what Picard said at the end of the series
premier!
Crow and Tom: Fanboy! Faaaanboy!

> From news.asu.edu!asuvax!cs.utexas.edu!usc!math.ohio-
> state.edu!magnus.acs.ohio-
> state.edu!lerc.nasa.gov!usenet.ins.cwru.edu!cleveland.Freenet.Edu!fh625 Wed
> Oct 4 14:16:46 1995
> From: fh...@cleveland.Freenet.Edu (Douglas A. Wu)
> Newsgroups: alt.startrek.creative
> Subject: Encounters: Act II Part II
> Date: 30 Sep 1995 14:27:53 GMT
>

> A Planet in Space.

Mike: That *is* where planets generally are.

> The Planet fills Enterprise's Viewscreen.
>
> Riker
>
> Ensign, calculate a standard orbit above the planet.

Crow [as Ensign]: Ah, sir, the batteries in my calculator are dead.
[Tom sprouts rabbit ears and hovers across the theater, whacking on a bass
drum.]

> Worf,
> conduct a localized sensor sweep.

[Tom sits down and loses the rabbit ears.]

> Worf
>
> I'm picking up a single life form in a house on sensors.

Crow: Is that anything like being on uppers?

> Captain Riker his Senior Officers walk to a Workstation.

Tom: One of them mutters something unkind about Solaris.

> The Workstation is relaying Information about the Planet and the
> House to Data.
>
> Data (Manning the Workstation.)

Crow: Shouldn't that be *Androiding* the Workstation?

> Someone or something is distorting the sensors' dimensional
> readings of the planet. The planet is in its own dimension, yet
> the house shows up on sensors. I think the life form in the
> house wants to meet us.

Mike: But then again, they do have a sign up reading 'Trespassers will be
phased out of existence.'

> I recommend we send an away team to the
> house.
>
> Riker
>
> Very well.

Crow [as Riker]: Geez, *everyone's* ordering me around!

> Data (On Intercom.)
>
> Replacement officers, please come to the bridge.

Tom: Must be the 24th century equivalent of 'Happy Temps.'
Mike: Tom, I'm warning you...

> Riker and the Senior Officers head for the Bridge Turbolift.
>
> An Away Team materializes outside the House.

Crow: Care to tell us who's *on* the away team, Wu?
Tom: No--this story *desperately* needs some suspense.

> Troi
>
> My tricorder readings indicate someone's inside.

Crow: Gee Troi, thanks for reminding us, one *more* time, that Wesley's in
there.

> Dr. Crusher opens the Door.
>
> Wesley is at the Door.

Mike [as Wesley]: Uh...Mom! Hi! [quieter] Guys, put the couch back!
She's home early!

> Dr. Crusher
>
> My son.

Tom [as Crusher]: I can't believe he's my son.

> Wesley
>
> Hello, mother. We have so much to talk about and so little time.

Mike: I thought they were *beyond* time and space.
Tom: Mike, don't try to figure it out. It's a fanfic.

> Members of the Away Team are sitting around a Table.
>
> Riker
>
> Wesley, can you help us?
>
> Wesley
>
> Captain Riker, I'm going to require the assistance of commanders
> Data and La Forge in Enterprise's engineering section.

Crow [as Riker]: Even *Wesley's* ordering me around!

> Enterprise.

Tom: Sheesh, they had to sit around the table for *that*? One question?

> Engineering.
>
> First Officer Data, Commander La Forge and Wesley, the Traveler,
> are discussing the Situation Enterprise faces.
>
> Wesley
>
> Enterprise's unbalanced warp engines are reason it phased through
> the dimensional rift.

Mike: Gee, I never would have guessed...

> He looks at the Warp Field Simulations and enters Calculations.
>
> Wesley
>
> The warp engines are operational now.

Crow [as Data]: That's it? Just enter some calculations? Why didn't *I*
think of that?

> Data
>
> That still doesn't solve our problem.
>
> Wesley
>
> Geordi, can Enterprise's warp engines generate large amounts of
> power?

[all snicker]
Tom: Gee, Wes, you were on a starship for what, 4 years, and you don't *know*?

> La Forge
>
> Only for short time, why?
>
> Wesley
>
> I can help send Enterprise home provided

Crow: It really *wants* to go home.

> its warp engines
> generates the power I need.
>
> Observation Lounge.
>
> Enterprise's senior officers and Wesley, the Traveler, are in a
> conference going over their options.

Mike: You'd think We would have figured out that *we've* figured out that
Wesley's the Traveler.
Tom: Maybe he needs to keep reminding *himself*...

> Either way, the ship's
> senior officers and its crew must dig deep within themselves to
> make it home.

[all]: Ewwww!

> Riker
>
> Report.
>
> Dr. Crusher
>
> I'm receiving reports that violence and chaos are pervading
> through the ship.

Crow: There's a rumor that the extras aren't going to be paid.

> I don't know how long we can stay here before
> we loose our minds.

Tom: Oh please, *please* stay that long!

> Troi
>
> Wesley can help us back to our dimension. It'll require the crew
> to think of only the jobs they must do, Wesley and home.

Mike: And baseball...
Crow: Hot dogs...
Tom: Apple pie...
[all]: And Chevrolet!

> They
> must believe he can help them for the journey back to be
> successful.
>
> La Forge
>
> We'll need to push Enterprise's warp engines beyond their design
> limits, captain. I'm not sure Enterprise will survive the
> journey home.

Mike: OK, anyone who thinks it'll even be scratched, raise your hand.
[nothing]
Mike: Thought so.

> Riker
>
> It's a risk we must take. I'll prepare the crew before we leave.

Tom [as Riker]: I've got a recipe for a nice bŽarnaise sauce...

> Dr. Crusher
>
> Will Wesley travel to another dimension?
>
> Data
>
> Most likely.

[all]: Woohoo!
Crow: Ummm...that *is* good, isn't it?
Tom: Sounds good to me!

> The senior officers leave except Dr. Crusher, Wesley and Admiral
> Picard. The three have a sincere talk.

Mike [as Picard]: All right, mister, your mother and I would like you to
explain something we found in your laundry...

> Picard
>
> Wesley, I'm confident you can help us. Remember what your mother
> and I've taught you on your journeys through the universe.

Tom [as Picard]: All those times I ordered you into the airlock--forget that.

> Dr. Crusher
>
> Wesley, I'm going to miss you.
>
> Wesley
>
> I'm going to miss you, too, mom.
>
> Dr. Crusher
>
> When am I going to see you again?
>
> Wesley
>
> I don't know, maybe never.

[all sing]: We'll...meet again...don't know where...don't know when...

> Dr. Crusher
>
> Sometimes I don't know why adults have children.

Crow: Hoo boy, and *you're* the doctor? Okay, see, when a mommy loves
a daddy...

> We're parents
> for a short time in our lives. Eventually parents must send
> their children out into the world to make their own mistakes and
> find their own successes.

Tom [singing]: Sunrise, sunset...sunrise, sunset...swiftly flow the days!

> We'll always worry about them and
> mother them when they come home. Wesley, be careful out there.

Mike: It's a jungle out there.

> The Observation Lounge's Doors beep. Geordi enters.
>
> Geordi
>
> Wesley, it's time.

Tom [as Wesley]: Are you sure? You're not due for another two weeks!

> Wesley, the Traveler, and Dr. Crusher Hug.

Crow: Hey...how about a little sugar for the Admiral?
Tom: From which one?
Crow: Either.
Mike: Crow...

> He leaves for Engineering.
>
> In the following sequences Enterprise leaps back to its
> dimension.

Tom: And takes a few minutes to realize that it's leapt into the body of a
chimp.

> The situations open with a great deal of tension and
> emotion. Nobody is sure if Wesley, the Traveler, can help
> Enterprise to its dimension.

Mike: Except for the entire audience.

> The situations end

Crow: Assuming they began in the first place...

> with Enterprise warping to a meeting with the
> Aridians. The music builds the tension. The tension culminates
> with the warp back. Then, trumpets signal Enterprise's arrival
> home.

Tom: Geez, Wu. Thanks for ruining the scene for us!
Crow: Oh, as if there was any doubt!

> Bridge.
>
> Riker
>
> Security Chief Sowards open a channel to the crew.
>
> Security Chief Sowards
>
> Channel open.

Mike: But minds closed.

> The frightened crew looks up from their stations in sick bay,
> engineering (Commander La Forge and Wesley, the Traveler,

Crow: Enough already! We *know* he's the Traveler!

> are at
> the warp engines' controls.), Ten Forward (Guinan looks very
> concerned as she listens to Captain Riker.), and Enterprise's
> decks to hear the message.

Mike: Come on! That's *straight* from 'Where No One Has Gone Before!'
Doesn't Wu have *any* imagination?
Crow and Tom: Fanboy! Faaanboy!

> Captain Riker's self-assured voice
> calms them down.

Crow: He reads them 'The Bernstein Bears.' That sends them right to sleep.

> Riker
>
> This is the captain speaking.

Tom: We're currently cruising at an altitude of 3 million feet...I'm going to
turn off the 'Fasten Seatbelt' sign--feel free to move about the ship...

> A Traveler named Wesley has come
> to our aid. He can manipulate space and time with his mind.

Mike: Shoot, any Deadhead can do *that*.

> He
> can guide Enterprise home with our help. I want each of you to
> clear your mind and think about the jobs each of you must do,
> Wesley and home.

Tom: If I clear my mind, how can I think about anything? And how will I
come out of it? I won't be able to think about stopping.

> Bridge.
>
> Riker
>
> Helm, engage.
>
> Helm
>
> We're approaching warp speed.
>
> Space Shot.

Crow: Well, that's better than a Buffalo Shot.

> Enterprise is moving at a Fantastic Speed.

Tom: Not...Ludicrous Speed!
Crow: Nooo, Dark Helmet!

> It starts to Phase through the Dimensional Rift.

Mike: It dissolves completely into a liquid!
Tom and Crow: Huh?
Mike: Sorry...chemistry flashback.

> Bridge.
>
> La Forge (On Intercom.)
>
> It's working.

Crow: How can *he* tell?
Tom: He must be reading along.

> Space Shot.
>
> Enterprise Leaps back to its Dimension.

Mike: And the judges give it a 10!

> Bridge.
>
> Data
>
> Ensign, present course and speed?

Tom [as ensign]: Ummm...nowhere and just sitting at my post, sir.

> Ensign
>
> We're back on course traveling at warp six. The estimated time
> to contact with the Aridians' ship is six hours.

Crow: Well, that was resolved with a minimum of tension and effort.

> Riker
>
> Worf, can Enterprise sensors scan the Aridians' ship from our
> position?

Mike: Yes, but they don't want to.

> Worf
>
> Yes, the Aridians' ship is on long-range sensors near the
> Cardassian border.
>
> Riker
>
> Understood.

Crow: He's just *saying* he understands so he doesn't look bad.

> Picard
>
> What happened to Wesley?

[all]: Tell us he's gone, tell us he's gone, tell us he's gone...

> La Forge (On Intercom.)
>
> He phased, admiral.

[all]: Yes!! Woohoo!!
[All start cheering. Mike throws confetti, Crow sprays Silly String.]

> The Camera closes in on Dr. Crusher. She is Sad.

[All pause briefly, look at each other, then resume celebrating. They keep
cheering as they pack up and leave the theater.]

[Commercials]

[Continued in Part 5]

--
Sarah Heiner hei...@asu.edu
Arizona State University

| Top Ten Tempe Butte Amusing Comments |
| (These are from reports written by geology lab students.) |
| |
| 6. Sudenly, crouching on exposed sandstone, the instructor |
| reached behind her back and pulled from a holster some- |
| thing that looked like some kind of tri-corder. Cool. |