[MiSTied]: 'Encounters' (2/6)

hei...@imap2.asu.edu

Jul 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/19/96

[Continued from Part 1]

> Transporter Room.
>
> Admiral Picard is boarding Enterprise.
>
> A transporter beam crackling to life announces Admiral Picard's
> arrival. He is placed on an oval shaped pad in a brightly lit
> room painted black.

Mike: He is given some banana slices, tickled under the chin, and sent to
watch cartoons.

> Admiral Picard's actions give his feelings away when he boards
> Enterprise. His body language makes it clear he is in charge
> from the time he comes aboard the ship until the end of the
> mission. Admiral Picard's mannerisms and the way he walks say,
> "I got her back."

Tom: Let’s see...has anyone acted in character yet?
Crow: Has anyone *acted* yet?

> He steps off the Pad.

[all applaud]
Mike: Wonderful.
Tom: Well done.
Crow: I tell you, no one can take step off a Pad like Patrick Stewart.

> Transporter Chief Bennett
>
> Admiral Picard, welcome aboard. Have you come to see Enterprise
> off on its space trials?

Tom: With Judge Lance Ito presiding!
Mike: Tom. Don’t *ever* mention that name again.

> Picard
>
> You might say that. Can you please point me to the bridge?
> ....Never mind, I can find my own way.

Mike: Sounds like Picard’s been taking a few nips from a bottle.
Tom [as drunk]: Tha’sh okay. I can shtill *hic* get around. Now where’sh
the *hic* bridge?
Crow [as Chief Bennett]: Will you just blow into this balloon, please?

> Admiral Picard prowls Enterprise's Decks.
>
> Admiral Picard prowls Enterprise's decks

Mike: Again, but with fewer capitals.

> with an expressionless
> face. He has a presence about him that causes heads of passing
> Starfleet officers to turn.

Crow [as heckler]: Hey, hey! Lookin’ good, Frenchie!
Tom [same]: Woo woo! Take those steps!
Mike [same]: Hey admiral! Try some Minoxidil!

> The mood of the ship's crew, reflected in the musical score, is
> changing. Their tension is rising. Something is about to happen
> to the ship and its crew.

Crow: Some*thing* is wrong on Enterprise-E.

> Captain Riker and Enterprise's
> Starfleet officers do not know Starfleet has assigned Admiral
> Picard and Enterprise to a dangerous mission. Admiral Picard and
> Captain Riker are heading for a

Tom: collision course with wackiness!
[Mike and Crow look at Tom.]
Tom: Well, *someone* had to say it.

> confrontation over who has
> command of Enterprise missions.
>
> Shot of the Bridge Turbolift.
>
> Picard enters the Bridge Turbolift.

Mike: Good thing we shot it.
Tom: Yeah. Now can you shoot me?
Mike: Oh, it isn’t *that* bad.
Tom and Crow: Yet.

> Picard
>
> Bridge.
>
> Admiral Picard's hand touches an Enterprise schematic in the
> turbolift. He allows himself a smile after studying the
> schematic.
>
> Bridge.
>
> Enterprise's bridge is a semicircle.

Mike: But, for some reason, the rest of the rooms on the ship are
dodecahedrons.

> Captain Riker sits in the
> center. Data, his first officer, sits on his left. Counselor
> Troi is to the right of the captain. He is accessible to
> suggestions by people who are standing near him.

Crow: Suggestions like "C'mon! Act!"

> Helm and navigation is forward left of the captain and opps is
> forward right of the captain. An ensign mans helm and
> navigation. Lieutenant Commander Worf mans opps. Sensor
> readings and ship operations tie into Lieutenant Commander Worf's
> workstation.

Tom: Thank you for rehashing the whole layout of the bridge, when all those
who’ve seen the show can picture is for themselves.
Mike: But...it’s all backwards! In the show, Riker sat to the captain’s
*right*, and the helm was forward *right* of the captain.
Crow: So...you’re saying that the Enterprise E in this story is the mirror
image of D?
Mike: Yep.
Crow and Tom: Fanboy! Faaaanboy!

> Tactical does not dominate the bridge as it did in the last
> Enterprise.

Tom: It’s learned sensitivity in its relationship with the bridge.

> Tactical is a workstation on the outer edge of the
> semicircle. The security officer at tactical also handles
> communications.

Mike: Leading to the occasional accidental phasering of a planetary operator.

> The bridge is brightly lit though at times its
> lights will be dimmed to make it easier for bridge officers to
> read their instruments.

Crow: But why make it easy *all* the time?

> At the apex of the semicircle is the viewscreen.

Tom: The *apex* of the *semicircle*? Looks like someone flunked
geometry.

> Opposite the
> viewscreen is the bridge turbolift. There are two auxiliary
> turbolifts on the perimeter. In one corner of the bridge is the
> captain's ready room.
>
> The Bridge Turbolift's Doors open. Picard enters.
>
> A voice cries out,

Tom: Watch out for snakes!

> "Admiral on the bridge." The camera closes in

Crow: ...for the kill!

> on Admiral Picard's face. Next, the camera sweeps over the
> bridge. First Officer Data is directing Lieutenant Commander
> Worf

Mike: in a rousing rendition of Edward Grieg’s ‘In the Hall of the Mountain
King.’

> at opps, Commander La Forge at an engineering workstation
> and Counselor Troi at a life science workstation.
>
> Starfleet Officers stop what they are doing and Talk to Admiral
> Picard.
>
> Picard
>
> I've an announcement to make. (The Bridge quiets.) Starfleet
> has canceled Enterprise's space trials.

Tom [in radio announcer’s voice]: Minneapolis public and private space
trials...canceled.

> They've assigned me to
> command Enterprise's first mission, a first contact mission.

Mike: They’re bringing them contact lenses?

> Picard (Talking to Counselor Troi.)
>
> Counselor Troi, please have the crew assemble on the recreation
> deck for a mission briefing once Enterprise is underway.

Tom: All right! An assembly! No class today!
Crow: Boy, talk about *recreation*...

> He leaves for his Quarters.
>
> Troi (Talking to First Officer Data.)
>
> Does Captain Riker know?
>
> Data
>
> Nobody has told him yet.

Crow: This is gonna be so *cool*...

> Captain Riker's Ready Room.
>
> Captain Riker is doing some work in his dimly lit office.
> Enterprise's power system rumbles in the background.

Mike: I hate it when I get a room next to the ice machine.

> The Door beeps.

Tom: The Plot thickens.
Crow: My Stomach churns.

> Admiral Picard enters.
>
> Admiral Picard, framed by the doorway, looks up at Captain Riker.

Mike: Looks *up*? Picard must’ve shrunk since he became an admiral.

> The camera lingers on his figure.

[all]: Bwa-wocka-chicka-wow!

> The confrontation between
> Admiral Picard and Captain Riker is pivotal to the scenario. The
> situation ends with Captain Riker feeling very hurt.

Crow: You gonna cry, baby? OnetwothreeCry!

> He vows not
> to help Admiral Picard on the mission. Captain Riker does not
> understand why his friend would take the ship away from him
> without taking sometime to consider his feelings. On the other
> hand, Admiral Picard feels badly he placed duty before friendship
> again.
>
> The music builds from quietness to crescendo

Tom: Quietness to *creshendo*?
Crow: Looks like he flunked music class too.

> culminating with
> Captain Riker stalking off and a disgusted Admiral Picard looking
> out the ready room's window.

Tom: So, what sort of music should go here?
Crow: ‘Bolero?’
Mike: Crow, I *hope* you don’t know what you’re implying.

> As he looks out the window he
> begins to question his ability to command people.

Tom: And now that we’ve explained that scene, let’s move on the, uh, scene.

> Riker
>
> Hello, Jean-Luc. It's been a long time since I last saw you.
> (He shakes Admiral Picard's hand.)

Crow: BZZZZT! Ha, ha! Gotcha!

> Picard
>
> Yes, too long. We should've kept in touch.

Tom: Especially since we have instant communications and all.

> Riker
>
> My senior officers mentioned you want to talk to me. Are you
> here to see Enterprise off?

Mike [as Picard]: No, I’m here to see *you* off...the ship!

> Picard
>
> Will, Starfleet has assigned me to command Enterprise's first
> mission...It's a first contact mission.
>
> Riker
>
> Oh?

Tom: That’s it? That’s his response to such a momentous announcement?
Mike: Well, that’s in character.

> Picard
>
> They've detected an alien race traveling in an asteroid on the
> rim of Federation space. The aliens could be as hostile and as
> ruthless as Borg.

Tom: Oh, yeah, I can follow that reasoni...huh?

> Enterprise and its crew barely escaped in its
> encounters with Borg.

Crow [as Riker]: I *was* there, sir.

> It's Starfleet's belief I'm the only one
> in the Federation who can prevent the situation from escalating
> into violence. I'm asking you to accept the situation they have
> placed us in and attend the mission briefing.

Mike: After all, attendance is worth 10% of your grade.

> Riker
>
> I'd like permission to speak freely.
>
> Picard
>
> Granted.
>
> Riker
>
> It's my belief you've used the situation to gain command of an
> Enterprise mission. Furthermore, you haven't logged a single
> star hour since the destruction of the last Enterprise.

Crow: So...anyone know what a star hour is?
Mike: Ahhhhhh...no.
Crow: So it’s more meaningless treknobabble?
Tom: Ahhhhhh...yes.
Crow: OK, just checking.

> I can't
> allow you to place the ship and its crew's lives in jeopardy.
> I'll be lodging a formal protest in my personal log regarding
> your actions.

Tom [as Picard]: Oh, yeah, I’m so scared.
Crow [as Riker]: Yeah, and then I’ll write *really* nasty things about you in
my diary!

> Picard
>
> Will, listen to me. Starfleet wants me to take Enterprise into
> deep space on a priority mission. Don't question the chain of
> command.

[all]: Conform...conform...

> Riker
>
> Do you know how many years I've waited and the number of personal
> relationships I've sacrificed to captain Enterprise.

Mike: Or the number of personnel?
Crow: Ba-dumm cshh!

> She's
> my ship now like it or not.

Tom [singing falsetto]: It’s my ship now, and I’ll fly if I want to...

> Picard
>
> I'd relinquish mission command immediately if I thought I was
> using the situation to my advantage. I don't believe I've acted
> improperly.

Crow: I don't believe anyone's acting at all here.

> As captain of the last Enterprise I've dealt with
> the unknown many times. I can complete the mission successfully
> despite my lack of familiarity with Enterprise and its
> crew...Damn Will,

Tom: ‘Damn Will,’ the new off-off-off-off Broadway musical!

> accept my position as mission commander. I
> need your support and advice on the mission.
>
> Riker
>
> I'm leaving if that is your position. Don't look for me at the
> mission briefing because I wouldn't be attending.

Crow: I'll be spending quality time with my personal log.

> Jean-Luc, I
> hope you're happy as mission commander...I didn't join Starfleet
> to serve as your nursemaid. I joined Starfleet to command
> starships and you're not giving me the chance. Look, you're on
> your own if you encounter trouble on the mission.
>
> He gets up and Stalks Off.

Mike: Boy...prowling, stalking--they’ve turned into *cats*!
Crow: Grrr...I'm a great big fluffy cat, Beverly! Bite me on the neck!

> A disgusted Admiral Picard looks into Spacefrom the Ready Room's
> Window.
>
> Deanna and Worf's Quarters.

Tom: Now that’s a nauseating concept.

> Counselor Troi is reading a book while waiting for Lieutenant
> Commander Worf to return from his duty shift. Reminders of
> Worf's Klingon heritage fill their living quarters.

Crow: Like his prized beer can collection.

> The Door beeps.

Mike: Troi honks.
Tom: Riker bleats.
Crow: Crow retches.

> Captain Riker enters.
>
> Captain Riker's figure frames the doorway and blocks the light
> from the deck. The young hero is very angry.

Tom: Young hero?! Wrong on both counts, Wu.

> Admiral Picard has
> just taken command of Enterprise's first mission away from him
> and he wants to talk to a friend. The music that announces
>Captain Riker's arrival is sullen.

Mike: It stomps off to its room.

> He does not sit during his conversation with Counselor Troi about
> the admiral. Instead Captain Riker examines Deanna

Crow: Heeey...

> and Worf's
> things

Crow: Awww.
Tom [laughing]: Too bad, Crow.

> while he talks. The underlying themes of their talk
> include self-sacrifice, friendship and commitment. At the close
> of the situation Captain Riker is sitting and at ease.
>
> Troi
>
> Hello, Will. What's on your mind? Admiral Picard?
>
> Riker
>
> He used his position as a Starfleet admiral to wrestle control of
> Enterprise's first mission away from me.

Mike: Next on WWF!

> I rightfully earned my
> turn at its captain's chair. He already had his chance.
>
> Troi
>
> The admiral would very much like to command starships before he
> really does get old. He needs your help now more than ever. You
> know what Enterprise and its crew can do when pressured by the
> mission's requirements. He doesn't.

Crow [as Troi]: After all, he only commanded us for seven years.

> Captain Will Riker, you
> have the responsibility of safely guiding the ship and its crew
> though the unknown that lies ahead. Please come to the mission
> briefing for the crew's sake.

Tom [as Troi]: You have to cut him off from time to time. Otherwise, he’ll
just ramble on and on and bore us all to death.

> Riker
>
> I'll give your advice some serious thought. How are you doing
> Deanna? Enjoying married life?

Crow [as Riker]: I’m changing the subject so I don’t have to say you’re right.

> Troi
>
> Marrying Worf is the best decision I ever made.

Tom: That's not saying much.

> I married Worf
> because of his sense of honor, his loyalty and the courage in his
> heart. I don't know what I'll do without him. As you can
> imagine, my mother isn't too happy with my decision. She made
> such a fuss at the wedding.

Mike [as Troi]: Where she found that AK-47, I’ll never know.
Tom: Geez, Mike, that’s *dark*! I like it!

> I'm glad you and Worf have remained
> friends considering our shared past.
>
> Riker
>
> Deanna, I'm happy for you.
>
> He leaves her Quarters.

Crow: But takes her Dimes.

> Dr. Crusher's Office in Sick Bay.
>
> Admiral Picard is talking with Dr. Crusher.
>
> Admiral Picard is in Dr. Crusher's office after his physical.
> The two officers are very close and are not afraid to express
> their hopes, dreams and desires.

Crow: This is turning into a soap opera!
Tom: Will Jean-Luc and Beverly express their love? Just what are the results
of Jean-Luc’s physical? And what of Will’s love for Deanna? Can he
convince her to leave Worf? If so, will he survive? Find out next on
‘As the Starship Warps.’
Mike: They already did that on Voyager. ‘Twisted.’
Crow: Ugh! Don’t remind me!

> The admiral has always placed Starfleet duties ahead of
> friendships and relationships. Twice, Beverly wanted to express
> her love to Jean-Luc on Enterprise missions but could not when
> his duties got in the way. Jean-Luc and Beverly would be a
> couple if they were not in Starfleet.

Tom: Except they'd never have met.

> Their voices sound
> regretful when they talk.
>
> Picard
>
> Beverly, am I fit for interstellar space travel?

Mike: What, are you planning on flapping your way through space? How
much effort does it take to ride in a spaceship?

> Dr. Crusher
>
> Jean-Luc, you're physically fit. I'm more worried about your
> command fitness than your health. I heard about the
> confrontation you had with Captain Riker this morning.
>
> Picard
>
> He wasn't pleased when I told him

Tom: ...to take a long walk out a short shuttlebay.

> I was assuming command of
> Enterprise's first mission.
>
> Dr. Crusher
>
> Jean-Luc, at times you come across as an officer who only cares
> about the outcome of missions.

Crow [as Beverly]: You need a PR person.

> You frequently forget your fellow
> officers had feelings as Enterprise captain. Twice on Enterprise
> missions I wanted to tell you I loved you. Unfortunately, your
> captain's uniform kept getting in the way.
>
> Picard
>
> I didn't realize...

Mike: How could he not? Especially after that mind-sharing experience they
went through?
Crow and Tom: Fanboy! Faaanboy!

> Dr. Crusher
>
> Sh Sh. Would you like to have dinner with me tonight now that we
> have our thoughts in the open?
>
> Picard
>
> I'll be sure to leave the admiral's uniform in my quarters before
>we meet.

Crow: Hmmm...gives a whole new meaning to the phrase ‘dressing for
dinner.’
Mike: Crow!
Crow: Hey! You must admit that was mild compared to what I *could*
have said.
Tom: H-he’s got a point there, Mike.
Mike [to Tom]: Don’t encourage him!

> Dr. Crusher
>
> Come around 1800 hours.
>
> Picard
>
> See you then.
>
> He exits Sick Bay.

Tom: Yep, that scene was pretty sick.
Crow: Also sickening.

> Engineering.
>
> Commander La Forge is performing Final Checks on Enterprise's
> Warp Engines.

Tom: They're only just paying for them now?
Mike: Yeah, the funding was held up during Starfleet's last budget shutdown.

> Admiral Picard enters Engineering.
>
> Admiral Picard comes to Commander La Forge to renew their
> friendship.

Crow [as Picard]: Let’s see...LaForge at 6:00, Worf at 6:10, Data at 6:15...
I should get through everyone today for renewing friendships.

> The engineer managed to pull the old Enterprise out
> of tough situations often on their missions together.
>
> Admiral Picard is confident Commander La Forge and his
> engineering staff will solve Enterprise's engine problems. The
> meeting between the Starfleet officers is a lighthearted
> situation in the scenario.
>
> Picard
>
> Geordi.

Mike: Jean-Luc.
Tom: Will.
Mike: Marsha.
Tom: Chief.
Crow: McCloud!

> La Forge
>
> Admiral Picard, I didn't expect you to be in command of the
> ship's first mission.

Crow [as LaForge]: Dang! I thought we’d locked him away forever.

> Picard
>
> Dire circumstances require my presence on Enterprise. Geordi, at
> what point during the mission can we expect warp space travel?

Tom [as LaForge]: You tell me. You’re captaining this mission!

> La Forge
>
> Presently, Enterprise has unbalanced warp engines.

Mike: We’re trying an intervention, but we just can’t get them to go to a
therapist.

> I've no idea
> what they'll do if we enter warp space though I participated in
> the warp core's design. I need time to conduct warp field
> simulations.

Crow: He must've learned from the guy who designed the holodeck.

> Picard
>
> The success of the mission depends on availability of the warp
> engines.
>
> La Forge
>
> I'll do my best to bring the warp engines online as quickly as
> possible.

Mike [as Dr. Strangelove]: It vill not be difficult, mine Furher!

> Admiral Picard leaves.

Tom: *This* was lighthearted?
Crow: Maybe they were doing a Three Stooges routine at the same time.

> Commander La Forge returns to Work.
>
> He taps his Com Badge.

Tom: Stop blowing that bugle into your Com badge!
[Mike and Crow look at Tom.]
Tom: Ya see, ‘cause it’s Taps...bugle...never mind.

> La Forge
>
> First Officer Data, I need you in engineering.
>
> The Point of View switches to the Ark in Space.

Crow: Ah, these weird PBS schedules.

> The Ark is a Beehive of Activity.
>
> The Aridians are preparing an Invasion Force.

Mike: This looks like someone's vocabulary homework.

> Space Shot.
>
> The Aridians conduct a Test of the Ark's Weapon Systems in Space.

Tom: This is a test of the Ark’s Weapon Systems in Space. The broadcasters of
your area, in involuntary cooperation with the Aridians...

> A Single Blast from the Ark's Phased Weapons can damage a Planet.
>
> Demonstration.

[all singing]: We shall overco-o-ome...
Tom: What do we want?
Crow and Mike: Better fanfics!
Tom: When do we want it?
Crow and Mike: Now!
[They continue this, as Mike picks up Tom and they and Crow leave the
theater.]

[*...1...2...3...4...5...6...]

[SOL--All three are standing behind the desk.]

Crow: Sheesh, Wu is certainly conforming to a.s.c. standards, isn't he?
You've got to use *every* character, even if it means pulling them
back from other aspects of their lives.
Tom: I know. I'm surprised he didn't transfer Chief O'Brien over from DS9
and bring Yar back from the dead! I've heard of one big happy family,
but this is ridiculous!
Crow: Hey Mike, are families back on Earth like that?
Mike: Not usually. Most families know that they have to grow and separate
somewhat, and not let other family members dictate to them how they
should live their lives-- even if there is often some friction about
those choices.
Tom: Speaking of which, shall we see how Dr. Forrester's doing?
Mike: I guess so. [He taps the Mad's light.]

[Deep 13]

[General chaos reigns. Kids are running around and yelling, a group of
women are standing in a group chatting loudly, a large group of men are
yelling at a TV football game, and a foursome seated around a card table are
arguing--loudly--over a game of 42. Flowers and lace doilies drape over
tables; and, despite the chaos, the area around Dr. Forrester's console looks
preternaturally neat. Mrs. Forrester appears to be in her element--she moves
from group to group, chatting, exclaiming over babies and kids. Dr. Forrester
stands to one side, the look on his face conveying both contempt and fear. He
sees the SOL monitor is on and moves to it.]

Dr. F: Ah, Mike, 'bots. Taking a break, I see.

[SOL]

Mike: How's the reunion going?

[Deep 13]

Dr. F: Oh fine, fine. Cousin Fred dumped my latest gene splicing experiment
into the trash compactor, and Cousin Mary found some leftover Miracle
Growth Baby Formula and fed it to her son, but other than that
everything's--fine.

[SOL]

Crow: Gosh, how's the little tyke?

[Deep 13]

Dr. F: Let's just say that baby Melville could fill Charles Barkley's spot on
the Suns team now.

[A large, late-middle-aged man, wearing a Cowboys sweatshirt and holding a
beer, walks up and slaps Dr. Forrester on the shoulder.]

Uncle Phil: Clay! How are you, boy! You remember me--your uncle Phil?
Dr. F [speaking just loudly enough for the monitor to pick him up]: I wish I
*didn't*.
Uncle Phil: How ya doin'? Still into this mad science thing, eh? And here I
thought it would just be a phase! Never did understand what you saw
in it. Why don't you come work for me at my insurance business? I'm
sure you'd do better than that lazy son of mine.
[A voice rises from the group watching the TV]: I heard that, dad! I'll have
you know I could run it *ten* times better than you! You're running
it into the ground!
Uncle Phil: Shut up, Junior! [He turns back to Dr. Forrester.] There's no
denying, though, that I sometimes think about retiring. Might be nice
to get away from it all, relax...oh well. Can't get rich that way,
right?
Dr. F: Ha! When I *rule* the world, I'll have all the riches I could ever
dream of!
Uncle Phil: Ehh...right. I think I'd better go get another beer. [He wanders
off.]

Dr. F: See what I've been having to put up with? The interruption of my work,
the *constant* harassment...

[Mrs. Forrester walks up to Dr. Forrester's side.]

Mrs. F: Clayton, why are you talking to your friends there? You should be
with your family! You probably haven't seen most of them for
*years*!
Dr. F: There's a reason for that, mother. I don't *like* most of them!
Mrs. F [apparently oblivious to his interruption]: Why don't you go talk to
Flora? She's such a nice young girl. I think she's cleaning up the
kitchen right now, talking to your cousin Christine. Such a pity about
Christine. She's been trying to get Jay Burton to marry her for
*years*, but he just won't commit.
Dr. F: Why did you have to invite Flora to stay?! Her and her infernal
tidying...you know I can't stand flowers, and she's straightened
up this console area so much I can't find *anything* now!
Mrs. F: Now Clayton...you *know* we have to help her, after the way your
father wronged hers.
Dr. F: No, I *don't* know, Mother. Why don't you tell me? [He looks at
the monitor.] And you three! This isn't some soap opera for your
amusement! Run those commercials and get back in the theater!

[He and Mrs. Forrester walk away.]

[SOL]

Crow: Aw, *man*! We never have *any* fun!
Mike: We'll be right back. [He hits the commercial light.]

[Commercials]

[Continued in Part 3]

--
Sarah Heiner hei...@asu.edu
Arizona State University

| Top Ten Tempe Butte Amusing Comments |
| (These are from reports written by geology lab students.) |
| |
| 6. Sudenly, crouching on exposed sandstone, the instructor |
| reached behind her back and pulled from a holster some- |
| thing that looked like some kind of tri-corder. Cool. |

Roger M. Wilcox

Jul 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/26/96

So, let's see:

A large alien object of some sort is headed for Earth,
The Captain of the old Enterprise, who has been promoted to Admiral,
uses the opportunity to sieze command of the new Enterprise, whose
officially assigned captain is a guy named Will,
Captain Will complains that the Admiral hasn't logged a single "star
hour" in quite a while, and that he (Will) shouldn't have his
command yanked out from under him,
The Admiral addresses the crew about his taking command, and tells
them to gather in the Rec Room for a briefing,
Captain Will talks things over with his old girlfriend, and
The Chief Engineer, who was also the chief engineer on the old
Enterprise, complains that the new warp engine designs need
"further simulation" before going on-line, but the Admiral needs
to have the ship go to warp....

Is it just me, or was this "gem" of alt.startrek.creative a BLATANT
rip-off of _Star Trek: The Motion Picture_??!

--
rog...@robadome.com (Roger M. Wilcox) - AKA - tra...@zoom.com (Jeff Boeing)
-------------+---- I'm not flying fast, just orbiting low -------------------

David Anderson

Jul 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/30/96

Fairly reliable sources inform me that Roger M. Wilcox wrote:

>So, let's see:
> A large alien object of some sort is headed for Earth,
> The Captain of the old Enterprise, who has been promoted to Admiral,
> uses the opportunity to sieze command of the new Enterprise, whose
> officially assigned captain is a guy named Will,
> Captain Will complains that the Admiral hasn't logged a single "star
> hour" in quite a while, and that he (Will) shouldn't have his
> command yanked out from under him,
> The Admiral addresses the crew about his taking command, and tells
> them to gather in the Rec Room for a briefing,
> Captain Will talks things over with his old girlfriend, and
> The Chief Engineer, who was also the chief engineer on the old
> Enterprise, complains that the new warp engine designs need
> "further simulation" before going on-line, but the Admiral needs
> to have the ship go to warp....
>
>Is it just me, or was this "gem" of alt.startrek.creative a BLATANT
>rip-off of _Star Trek: The Motion Picture_??!

No...it's NOT just you, I'm sorry to say.

--
========*Opinions expressed here are mine and mine alone. Deal with it.*========
* David Anderson * lan...@cybercom.net * http://www.cybercom.net/~lando5 *

hei...@imap2.asu.edu

Aug 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/5/96

Roger M. Wilcox (rog...@tera.eng.sc.rolm.com) wrote:
[...]

Actually, the way I see it, this fanfic is an amalgamation of ST:TMP,
'Encounter at Farpoint,' 'Where No One Has Gone Before,' and _Star Trek
2_, with a few snippits of other episodes as pointed out in the MiSTing.

As I said, Wu seems to have little imagination.

: --

: rog...@robadome.com (Roger M. Wilcox) - AKA - tra...@zoom.com (Jeff Boeing)
: -------------+---- I'm not flying fast, just orbiting low -------------------
: MSTie #38808 | http://www.zoom.com/personal/tracer: it's not just for
: I'm Sodium! | breakfast anymore

Jonah13

Aug 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/5/96

So? Did you notice Star Trek: The Motion Picture and Star Trek IV: The
Voyage Home both also have similiar themes?

Enterprise encounters probe. Enterprise struggles to communicate with
probe. Enterprise gets someone to communicate with probe at last second
and Earth is saved from total destruction.

"He tampered in God's domain", Bride of the Monster
"Knew your father I did!", Mr. B Natural
"I'm feeling a sensation altogether new to me! And you know what? I LIKE
IT!", Tom Servo

Chris Mattern

Aug 6, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/6/96

Jonah13 (jon...@aol.com) wrote:
: So? Did you notice Star Trek: The Motion Picture and Star Trek IV: The

: Voyage Home both also have similiar themes?

: Enterprise encounters probe. Enterprise struggles to communicate with
: probe. Enterprise gets someone to communicate with probe at last second
: and Earth is saved from total destruction.

No, no, no. That's Star Trek: The Motionless Picture, all right, but
ST IV is, simply, the Star Trek crew in 1990s San Francisco (and well
done, too). The rest is just plot contrivance to get them there.

Chris Mattern