MiSTing "The Odyssey" (pt.9)

Tjats

May 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/15/98

All MST3K-related characters are trademarks of Best Brains, Inc.
-------------------
>The Sirens
>
>(Odysseus returns to Circe's Island. The goddess reveals his course to
>him and gives advice on how to avoid the dangers he will face:

Servo: What about burying that other non-descript character?

>the Sirens, who lure sailors to their destruction;

Mike: Whoda thunk that fire engines could be used as a weapon?

>the Wandering Rocks, sea rocks that destroy even birds in flight;

Crow: Well, blind, low-flying birds, anyway...

>the perils of the sea monster Scylla and, nearby, the whirlpool Charybidis;
>and the cattle of the sun god, which Tiresias has warned Odysseus not to
>harm.)
>
>as Circe spoke,

Observer: ...Odysseus fell asleep.

>Dawn mounted her golden throne,
>and on the first rays Circe left me, taking
>her way like a great goddess up the island.

Servo: But, she IS a goddess!

>I made straight for the ship, roused up the men
>to get aboard and cast off at the stern.
>They scrambled to their places by the rowlocks
>and all in line dipped oars in the gray sea.

Mike: Now, it is apparent at this point that Homer is blind.

>But soon an offshore breeze, a lusty shipmate
>sent by the singing nymph with sunbright hair.

Pearl: Is Odysseus drunk as he tells this story?
Servo[drunk]: Then the pink elephants danced across the ocean and flew away to
the marshmallowy clouds...

>So we made fast the braces,

Mike: Quick orthodontists.

>and we rested,
>letting the wind and stersman work the ship.
>The crew being now silent before me, I
>addressed them, sore at heart:
>
>'Dear friends, more than one man, or two, should know
> those things
>Circe foresaw for us and shared with me,
>so let me tell her forecast:

Crow: She says there will be a light shower coming from the east sometime
tomorrow, but clear skys till then...

>then we die with our eyes open,

Mike: That's not a very good moral-boosting speech, sir.

>if we are going to die,
>or know what death we baffle if we can. Sirens
>weaving a haunting song over the sea
>we are to shun, ahe said, and their green shore
>all sweet with clover; yet she urged that I
>alone listen to their song.

Observer: That's awfully selfish.
Bobo starts to snore louder.

>Therefore
>you are to tie me up, tight as a splint,

Crow: ...and spank me. No, no, wait!

>erect along the mast, lashed to the mast,

Mike: Bashed on the mast.
Servo: Splashed goes the past.
Crow: Nashed in the blast.
Pearl: Rashed with a nast.
Observer: Faulty with some ham.
Mike, 'Bots, Pearl: Huh?
Observer: Sorry.

>and if I shout and beg to be untied,
>take more turns of the rope to muffle me.'
>
>I rather dwelt on this part of the forecast,

Servo: The heavy showers and low pressure areas were advancing fast.

>while our good ship made time, bound outward down
>the wind for the strange island of Sirens.
>Then all at once the wind fell, and a calm
>came over all the sea, as though

Mike: ...a clam had come over all the sea.

>some power
>lulled the swell.
>The crew were on their feet briskly, to furl the sail, and
> stow it;

Servo: So, when nothing happens, the crew panicks?
Mike: Guess so.

>then
>each in place, they poised the smooth oar blades
>and sent the white foam scudding by. I carved
>a massive cake of beeswax

Crow: Yum.
Bobo's snoring is getting anoying.
Pearl gets up, walks over to Bobo and hits him on the head.
Bobo: I'm up! I'm up!

>into bits
>and rolled them in my hands untill they softened-
>no long task, for a burning heat came down
>from Helios, lord of high noon.

Observer: So, which gods haate him, and which gods help him? This is so
confusing!

>Going forward
>I carried wax along the line,

Servo: What line?

>and laid it
>thick on their ears. They tied me up, then, plumb
>amidships, back to the mast, lashed to the mast,

Servo: Dashed with some hash...browns.
Mike: Servo, cut it out.

>and took themselves again to rowing. Soon,
>as we came smartly within hailing distance,

Servo: How could you be smart if you headed TOWARDS the danger?!?

>the two Sirens, noting our fast ship
>off their point, made ready, and they sang:

All: Ooooooh, Jingle bells, jingle bells, jingle all the way...

> This way, oh turn your bows,
> Achea's glory,
> As all the world allows-
> Moor and be merry

Crow[as Odysseus]: Devils! They're singing our song!

> Sweet coupled airs we sing.
> No lonely seafarer
> Holds clear of entering
> Out green mirror

Observer: How can you enter a mirror?

> Pleased by each purling note
> Like honey twining
> From her throat and my throat,
> Who lies a-pining?

Crow: Hey! They're actually rhyming! Wow!

> Sea rovers here take joy
> Voyaging onward,
> As from our song of Troy
> Graybeard and rower-boy
> Goeth more learned.

Servo[singing]: Investeth money in college.

> All feats on that great field
> In the long warfare,
> Dark days the bright gods willed,
> Wounds you bore there,

Pearl: It's amazing how he can remember all this years later.

> Argos' old soldiery
> On Troy beach teeming,
> No life on earth can be
> Hid from our dreaming.
>
>The lovely voices in ardor appealing over the water
>Made me crave to listen, and I tried to say

Mike: Shut the hell up! I'm trying to listen!

>'Untie me!' to the crew, jerking my brows;
>but they bent steady to the oars. Then Perimedes

Mike: Ah, now it's time to introduce some more characters I forgot to mention
before.

>got to his feet, he and Eurylochus,
>and passed more line about, to hold me still.
>So all rowed on, untill the Sirens
>dropped under the sea rim, and their singing dwindled away.
>
>My faithful company

Crow: ...called Odysseus Inc. ...

>rested on their oars now, peeling off
>the wax that I had laid thick on their ears;
>then set me free.

Bobo: Unfourunately, the ship floated back to the island, and the Sirens lured
us to our deaths.

(commercial)
Questions? Concerns? Coments? Complaints?
e-mail Tj...@aol.com

I can also send you previous parts of the Odyssey MiSTing if they have expired.

Jim, the Mistie
"Watch out for Sirens!"