Fox's Trek fanfic MSTed (4 of 5)

ToyCarGuy

Dec 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/13/98

> Picard: That is great, Mr. Data, you're dismissed.
> Data: There was one more thing captain.
> Picard: Yes, what?
> Data: For both of their careers there is no mention of having served in the

> Vietnam conflict.

Tom: "They didn't! That was all because of the wormhole in that first story
we didn't see!"
Crow: "Mike, I fell warm. I think this story may finally overload me."
Mike: "Just hang on, honey. I promise when this is over I'll plug both of
you into the diagnostic module so I can purge and de-frag your memory files."
Tom: "Thanks, Mike."
Crow: "Yeah, thank you, Mike."

> Picard: Find out what you can from our guests about it.
> Data: Yes, sir.
> (Data walks out the door to the bridge and from the there to the aft
> Turbolift)
> (Deck 17, Room 9)
> Rogers: So, Tom what are you doing here?

Tom: "Apparently being punished for something I did in a previous life."

> Tom: Me, I was sent after you to get you back. Where are we anyway?
> Rogers: From what they told me before they stopped answering questions, we
> are onboard a Federation
> Starship by the name of Enterprise. The date is Dec. 7 2374.
> Tom: Dec. 7, I wonder if they still observe Pearl Harbor Day on Earth.

Crow: "I want to smack him."

> Now
> then where are we?

Crow (moaning): "In the Land of Shattered Hop- ...aw, to hell with it."

> Rogers: They don't observe Pearl Harbor day and we are in what they refer to

> as the Alpha quadrant and
> we are currently at least a thousand lightyears from Earth
> Tom: Oh, that's just splendid.
> Rogers: I'll be in the other room if you need me.
> Tom: OK

Crow: "...'If you need me'? For what, a story or a dink a'wadda or
something?"

> (We hear the door beep)

Mike (half-heartedly): "Auuuuooog- ..aw, Crow, you're right..."
Crow: "See?"

> Tom: Come on in.
> (Data enters the room)
> Tom: Hello.
> Data: I have some questions for you and Captain Rogers about your roles in
> the Vietnam conflict.
> Tom: We're not supposed to talk about that, except to people with high
> enough security clearances, of
> which there is only one person at that level of clearance.
> Data: It must have been declassified by now.
> Tom: Is it past the year 2380.
> Data: No, it is the year...
> Tom: It's a rhetorical question.

Mike: "Um, no, it seems to have been a legitimate question."

> Data: Can you tell me anything about it?
> Tom: Do you promise not to tell anyone for the next six years?
> Data: Yes.

Crow: "Yeah. Just like that."

> Tom: OK, Four years ago or rather four years ago for me, a test pilot by
> the name of Cary Miller

Mike: "I knew a Carrie Miller in high school."
Tom: "Oh, yeah?"
Mike: "Yeah, she was a cheerleader."
Tom: "Say...!"

> was lost
> in a space-time wormhole. He was sent back to the Vietnam War. Captain
> Rogers here was sent into the
> wormhole to get Cary back. After two hours the Air Force brass got worried
> when the two of them didn't
> return, so they sent me into the wormhole flying a helicopter. I found the
> two of them with Cary being
> held by a fighter squadron and Rogers negotiating for his release. I regret

> I was forced to destroy all but
> one of the planes in the squadron. We got Cary back but the leader of the
> squadron who I had spared,
> because I ran out of ammo, fired three missiles at us.

Crow: "Uh, Mike..."

> He missed Rogers and
> I but hit Cary. Rogers then
> proceeded to destroy the leader while I saved Cary, who had crashed into the

> ocean.

Crow: "...Mike...?"
Tom: "Mike, my head's getting warm now too..."
Mike: "Just hang on, do the best you can..."

> We then proceeded
> back to the wormhole and went through to our time. As we left the wormhole
> it collapsed.
> Data: Intriguing.
> Tom: Oh yes there was one more thing. A similar wormhole opened over the
> Nevada Desert.

Crow: "Mike! I'm goin' critical!"
Mike: "Emergency shut-down command 'Archimedes'!"
(Crow slumps over in his seat)
Tom: "Wow!"

> Data: Did this one collapse too?

Tom: "No, but I've seen as much of the story as Crow has, so I can't make
any promises."

> Tom: Right now I don't know. It was open when I went through it after
> Rogers a couple of hours ago.
> Data: How come there is no mention of any of this in our records about you.
> Tom: The entire affair was put in a special vault

Mike: "...Along with the Warner Brothers' movies..."
Tom: "Which, of course, made no sense."
Mike: "Correct."

> and was not to be seen
> again until 2380.

Tom: "When the Warners escaped!"

> It had been
> assumed knowledge of the event wouldn't cause any problems for the
> government if they covered it up
> until then.

Mike: "Yeah, government cover-ups always work well."

> Data: Thank You, Captain.
> (Data gets up and leaves)
> (Meanwhile on the Bridge)
> Worf: Sir, incoming transmission from Starfleet Command.
> Picard: Onscreen
> (Admiral Nechayev

Tom: "Gesundheit."

> appears onscreen)
> Admiral: Captain, I have heard your request to travel back in time. Your
> request has been granted. Make
> sure anybody you drop off doesn’t carry evidence of the what will happen in
> the future.

Mike (as Admiral): "Oh, I *am* on the secure channel, right?"

> (The turbolift doors open and Data steps out)
> Data: Captain, I have the pilot's decisions...
> (Data notices the Admiral)
> Data: Sorry, Admiral, Captain.
> Admiral: Data, what are the pilot's decisions?
> Data: Captain Steve Rogers and Captain Tom Cox wish to return to their own
> time.
> Picard: Okay, will there be anything else?
> Nechayev: Yes, Good Luck.
> (A couple hours later on the bridge)

Mike: "And it feels like it!"
Tom: "You said it."

> Data: Captain, we are ready for the time travel maneuver. I have taken the
> liberty of choosing an
> uninhabited solar system near Earth to do the maneuver around.
> (Picard over ship's intercom)
> Picard: Attention crew, we are about to initiate a maneuver which may result

> in some injuries. I ask that
> you assume crash positions.

Mike: "Oh...I- ...I just can't think of a riff for that line!"

> We will be initiating the maneuver in three
> minutes.
> (Three minutes later)

Tom: "The three-minute eggs are ready!"

> Picard: Data, engage the slingshot maneuver.
> Data: Okay sir.
> (Same kind of visual effects as were seen in Star Trek IV when Kirk did this

> in the Klingon Bird-of-Prey)

Tom: "So, *that's* how you put stock footage into a text file!"
Mike: "Does that mean it includes those freaky morphing clay heads of the
bridge crew?"
Tom: "Oh, Lord, I hope not!"

> Data: Jump complete, Captain.
> Picard: Good, engage cloaking device.
> Data: Cloaking device engaged.
> Picard: Full warp to Earth, Engage. Mr. Worf, send a security team to the
> Captains' room and escort
> them to the shuttlebay.
> Worf: Okay, Captain.

Mike: "Worf also does not say 'okay'."
(Crow sits up)

> Data: Captain, we will reach Earth in six minutes.
> (Six minutes later in the shuttlebay)

Crow: "Earth's in the shuttle bay? Mike, I'm goin' back to sleep."
Mike: "No, just hang on now that you're up again."

> (Among those present are all three captains,

Crow: "Two French hens..."
Mike: "See? You're okay."
Crow: "Yeah, I guess."

> Worf, a security team, and Data)
>
> Picard: Captain Rogers and Captain Cox, we are in atmospheric orbit Earth
> and you may now take off and
> return to you own time.
> Rogers: Thank you for returning us to our time, Captain Picard. Let's go
> Tom.
> Tom: Yeah, thanks again Captain.
> (Rogers and Cox climb into their planes, turn on the engines, take off and
> fly away)

Tom: "And not once did they consider having Doctor Crusher do a memory wipe
or something."

> (The scene is now a funeral in a military cemetery in California. There are

> two caskets, both have flags
> draped over them. There are seven soldiers with rifles standing off to one
> side)

Crow: "Aimed at the writers, one hopes."

> Priest: We are gathered here today to mourn the lose of two brave pilots,
> who now fly with God's angels.
> Captain Rogers and Captain Cox were two of the best pilots our country has
> produced in a long time

Tom (as priest): "Since Captain Caveman, I'd say,"

> and
> we pray that God has received them openly. For it is written that he who
> lives and believes in Christ shall
> never die. Someday we will hopefully join these two who passed before their

> time. We now give them
> over to God.
> (Two Tomcats approach from the south)

Mike: "Gee, I think God is sending them back."

> Air Force General McDougal: Ready, Aim.
> (The seven soldiers take aim to the north)
> General: Fire
> (Soldiers Fire)

Crow: "...And shoot down our returning heroes who, just like Tom Sawyer, are
late to their own funeral."

> General: Ready, Aim , Fire
> (Soldiers Fire)
> General: Ready, Aim , Fire
> (Soldiers Fire)
> (The cockpit of Rogers' plane)
> Rogers: Well, Tom, We're almost back to the base.
> (Suddenly, warning lights start going off in Rogers' plane)

Crow: "Cripes! I was kidding!"
Mike: "No you weren't."
Crow: "Well ... Nah, I wasn't kidding."

> Rogers: OH SHIT!!! Tom, my fuel lines and my hydraulics line were just cut.

> I'm going down!!!!
> Tom: Steve from out here it look s as if it bullets just went through your
> wings. I wouldn't have noticed,
> but I saw the little puffs of wing shoot off as the bullets went through.

Crow (sing-song): "Down by the station/Early in the morning/See the
little puffer-wingies all in a row..."
Tom (sing-song): "Bang-bang! Shoot-shoot! Off they go!"
Crow: "He-he! Good one, Tommy!"

> Try to bring it in safely. I'll follow
> you down and land nearby.
> Rogers: Okay
> (Rogers' plane arcs down through the air

Tom (singing): "With the greatest of ease!"
Crow (singing): "These silly Airmen/In this story of cheese!"
Tom: "Touché!"

> and crashes in a large field near
> the cemetery. The people from
> the funeral having seen this rush over to see if anyone survived.

Tom: "Or if the priest should just re-word his recitation a little."

> As they
> get there, Tom's plane lands.
> Tom jumps out of his cockpit and runs over to Rogers' plane which is
burning.
> He gets Rogers' cockpit
> open and pulls him out shortly before the plane explodes.

Crow: "Damn!"

> Both their faces
> are obscured by the soot and
> the fact that their flight helmets are still on. Tom is checking Rogers' for

> signs of life when the crowd, led
> by the priest, get to him.)

Mike: "Well, they got to *us* over an hour ago!"

> Priest(to Tom): Sir, regardless of whether or not he's alive, you're a hero
> for trying.

Tom: "Yes, I believe 'heroic' describes my effort to sit through this, yes."

> Tom: He didn't survive. He has no pulse and there's a bullet wound in his
> flight suit. Looks like the type
> of wound a rifle bullet would leave.
> (The soldiers who are present start exchanging nervous glance at one
another.

Tom: "Okay, guys... this was just an accident... Let's just think about
this calmly and RUUUUUNNNN!!!"

> The General notices that
> Tom's plane has the Air Force insignia on it.)
> General: Who are you?
> (Tom stands up and removes his helmet and salutes.)

Crow: "He was wearing salutes?"

> Tom: Sir, Captain Thomas Cox, United States Air Force, Sir. The dead man
> there is Captain Steven

Crow: "Spielburg"
Tom: "Guttenburg"
Mike: "Landesburg"

> Rogers, United States Air Force, Sir.
> General: Damn, the President was right. You don't die very easily.

Mike: "And you sure as hell didn't die cleanly or quietly."

> As for
> Captain Rogers' death that's
> pure bad luck. He was killed by the twenty-one gun salute from his funeral.

Tom (as General): "Which is really stupid and embarrasing and his widow
will propably have us on '60 Minutes' for it."

> (In space, the Enterpise warps away and returns to it's own time)

Tom: "To find that the Vietnam War has been raging on for centuries."

ToyCarGuy, MSTie #72920;
Trekkie, 'Toon-head, Soup-head

"The suspense is terrible; I hope it lasts!" - Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder)

(Remove edy.milk from address to reply via e-mail)