MiSTed: Stolen Memories (22/29)

Rottweiler

Feb 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/14/99
[SOL Theater. TOM and CROW enter and take their seats.]

> *********************************

BOTS: (singing) Dashing through the snow, in a one-horse open sleigh...

> When Alis awoke she was overjoyed to find him
> sitting up on the litter, clean and dressed in the clothes
> she had made for him.

CROW: (Alis) I can't STAND the sight of his naked body!

> She ruslted through the last sack and
> produced the snake skin Julian had puzzled over and made
> him remove the tunic before pulling the pair with thongs on
> both ends up his arms, tying them in place over his
> shoulder and wrists.

TOM: Oh, an Insty-Straitjacket!

> She informed him they were for
> protecting his arm from insects and branches along the
> way.

CROW: Not having the heart to tell him he was going to Bellevue for
"observation".

> The other snake skins were produced and these she
> pulled up his legs.

TOM: Pretty soon, he'll be some very attractive luggage.

(MIKE stumbles in and collapses in his seat)

CROW: Where've you been?
MIKE: Thirteen down was a real killer.

> Julian was delighted to discover the
> skins had been stretched to fit his legs from toe to thigh
> like a second skin.

MIKE: (Alis) That's why I like you. I can give you socks for Christmas,
and you'll actually get excited about them.

> Alis bound the skins in place with the
> long thongs by wrapping them around his waist, and then dug

CROW: Rock 'n' roll music.

> around in the sack to produce a pair of fur and hide
> moccasins to place on his feet.

MIKE: (Julian) Mom, I can dress myself for school. I'm not a baby.

> She returned the tunic,

TOM: (Alis) It's one size too small.

> and Julian tugged it on, and
> she handed him the stick she had carved out for him to use
> as an aide to balance.

CROW: (Julian) Can this thing turn water into blood?

> When Julian tottered to the
> riverside the aide of the stick,

MIKE: Julian Bashir, aide to Stick Stickley.

> he was delighted to see
> in his reflection that combining the tunic with the snake
> skin had covered him completely from the neck down.

TOM: Unfortunately, his face was still visible.

> Only
> his hands and head were unprotected now.

CROW: Neither of them realized that poisonous creatures only bite heads
and
hands.
TOM: Sad, really.

> When he returned to the litter,

MIKE: (Julian) Whew! Alis, you need to get some Johnny Cat in here.

> he found Alis had
> collected a large amount of wood, leaves and rocks that
> she used to encircle the two litters.

CROW: She used to collect action figures, but found that the secondary
market took all the fun out of it.

> In the centre of this
> circle she piled more branches and leaves, then she
> departed, only to return dragging bundles of branches and
> twigs behind her, again and again.

TOM: The only cat in the world that builds a nest.

> He fell asleep, and woke to find two holes in the
> ground,

MIKE: (Julian) Now, which one of these is my ass?

> one lined with rocks and leaves contained Alis'
> litter,

CROW: Of kittens.

> the other contained rocks, branches and leaves
> which during the course of the day soon over flowed from
> it.

TOM: I think I'm going to imagine that I'm reading _Treasure Island_
right
now. Anyone care to join me?

> Every time he asked her what she was doing, she would
> ignore him, and tell him to hush and rest, to busy to take
> the time to explain, and he was still too weak to follow
> her around.

MIKE: Now she's less his girlfriend than she is his babysitter.

> By the third day, the hole her litter was in had been
> extended to the size of a small hut, lined with rocks, with
> a stone and mud fire place and chimney in the making.

CROW: Oh goody! Now Santa can visit them!

> Rocks
> were piled up near the hut to be,

TOM: Wow, where'd she find all those Alcatrazes?

> and Alis returned to the
> camp dragging the skin of the snake she'd killed to save
> Julian, it was bulging with mud that she used to finish
> building the chimney.

MIKE: Alis joins Habitat for Humanity.

> Julian dragged his litter over to the huts
> foundations and assisted her by passing down rocks.

CROW: Which, by the way, was the best Aerosmith album ever.

> He came
> to the conclusion that she was constructing a little home
> for them,

TOM: When Julian told Alis he wanted her to be a homemaker, she took him
literally.

> a home where no one would find them and he'd be
> safe.

MIKE: Mud roof, rock walls. State of the Art security here.
CROW: It should be sufficient protection against the Big Bad Wolf,
though.

> By the end of the week, the fire place was complete
> and Julian was put to work, scouting around to find more
> large stones for the hut.

TOM: I have trouble picturing Julian as a guy with large stones, if you
know what I mean.

> Leaving Julian to his work, Alis

MIKE: Had an affair with the milkman.
CROW: What's a milkman?

> disappeared into the wilderness again,

TOM: Courtesy of The Amazing Rando!

> returning at first
> with a cluster of long thick straight branches that she
> instructed Julian to carve tips on when he was tired out
> from hauling rocks. He assumed they would become spears.

CROW: They would become Ruby-Spears.

> When she disappeared and returned time and again with more
> of the long thick branches he soon worked out there was
> another reason, but didn't have the slightest idea what
> that could be.

TOM: They're a homemade Lincoln Log set.

> Eventually, Alis stopped bringing the branches, and
> returned with thin reedy branches and twigs,

MIKE: Instead of bringing branches, she's bringing... different
branches.
What a plot twist.

> and then
> carried off the snake skin to return with it bulging with
> big thick leaves which she dumped by the hut to be.

CROW: Apparently, the snakes on Felistia are made from burlap.

> That night, Julian's litter and the food supplies
> were transferred to the hut, but Julian slept in it alone.

TOM: So Kafkaesque. Yet so ridiculous.

> He awoke in the morning to find the collection of
> twigs had grown ten fold,

CROW: OH MY GOD, WE'RE BEING INVADED BY TWIGS!!!

> and that there was a clutch of
> dead snakes and furred creatures set near the camp fire,
> with Alis' knife.

MIKE: (Julian) Good little furred creatures... just put the knife
down...

> He knew she expected him to skin them, but he was
> squeamish,

MIKE: After everything that's happened, skinning a snake still bothers
him.

> and covered the animals with the leaves,

TOM: I bet he also sweeps dust under the rug and expects nobody to
notice.

> before
> returning to his rock hunting expedition,

MIKE: (Julian) Hey, David Lee Roth, where are you? I know you're around
here somewhere. Come out, come out, wherever you are...

> each time he
> returned dragging rocks back to the campsite he'd find the
> number of leaves or twigs had grown.

CROW: (Julian) Our credit card bill is going to be through the roof this
month. These leaves and twigs are costing us a fortune.

> When the sun reached
> it's zenith,

TOM: With the moon in Magnavox and Jupiter in RCA.

> he returned to his litter, to rest in the
> shade the ditch offered.

MIKE: So he's lying in a ditch full of refuse. What is he, the town
drunk?

> Alis returned and dumped a stack of long thick
> branches into the pit with her knife,

TOM: (Crocodile Dundee) That's not a knife... no, wait, it is a knife.
Sorry. Need to have me glasses fixed.

> telling Julian to get
> back to carving.

MIKE: I wonder how long Julian will put up with this.
CROW: (Julian) One of these days, Alis, one of these days... POW! To
the
moon!

> He did so.

TOM: (Julian) Yes, dear. I'm doing it, dear.

> An hour later Alis returned to the camp with the
> snake skin full of water which she used to soak the ground
> around the pit,

MIKE: (Alis) We can't afford a security system, so I'm going to build a
moat.

> then as Julian watched, she drove the
> carved branches into the ground so they stood upright.

CROW: Then she instructed Julian to sit on one of them.

> When
> she'd made a virtual wall of branches she began winding
> thin flexible twigs through.

TOM: Say what you will about Alis, but she's good with a computer.

> He watched fascinated,

MIKE: Of course, he's also fascinated by watching the washing machine
spin
the clothes around and around.

> as she
> wove a wall, five feet high this way and then she looked
> at him.

CROW: A house fit for Danny DeVito.

> I trust, that now you've seen me do it you can do
> it too."

TOM: (singing) I can do anything you can do better,
I can do anything better than you!

> Julian nodded and then returned to his carving
> chores with a new enthusiasm now he knew what the purpose
> of his endeavours were.

MIKE: (Julian) I feel so motivated now that I know we're going to turn a
temporary shelter into a sprawling estate.

> Alis left, returning with more of
> the thick branches dumping them into the pit. Then she
> wandered off to the riverside,

CROW: Isn't that where Archie lives?

> to bathe, and when she
> returned to the camp, it was with yet another collection of
> twigs.

TOM: By this time, all the trees have been stripped bare.
CROW: And every animal within a hundred mile radius has been
slaughtered!

> By night fall the frame of the hut was complete.

MIKE: Jabba would be completed by Wednesday.

> All
> of the next day, Julian and Alis worked together winding
> twigs through the branches building the walls up and
> connecting them.

TOM: (singing) The long and winding twigs.
MIKE: (singing) Felistan wood - isn't it good?
CROW: (singing) I wanna hold your pa-a-a-a-a-aw!

> When the sun began to set,

TOM: On the British Empire.

> Alis removed
> some of the rocks from the side of the foundation

CROW: Which allowed her to predict the future, using Psychohistory.

> and began
> digging in the dirt,

MIKE: Peter Gabriel's lawyers, you've been put on alert.

> using a stick to break up the dirt.

MIKE: And a couple of barfights.
TOM: Thanks, Mike. Now I'll always picture Alis as the Joe Don Baker of
cat people.

> She dug through the night until she had broken through
> outside the walls and created a tunnel that

CROW: Would allow them to escape Stalag 17.

> lead into the
> hut.

MIKE: They turned lead into a hut? That's some weird alchemy.

> She instructed Julian to line the walls with the rocks
> and stones she'd set him to collecting while she slept
> through the day.

TOM: Instead, Julian spent the whole day eating Mallomars and watching
_Benson_ reruns.
MIKE: (Julian) What the devil is Odo doing in that mansion?

> Alis awoke to find the passage way lined,

CROW: With guacamole.

> and Julian
> sitting on a bed of leaves in the sun weaving a roof from
> the left over branches and twigs.

MIKE: Can't they just get a Sukkah kit, like everyone else does?

> He waved to a bundle of
> leaves that insects were swarming around,

TOM: (singing) Hello bundle, whatcha knowin'?
I've come to watch your insects flowin'.

> and when she
> investigated she found the animals she had left behind.

CROW: When she escaped from the island of Doctor Moreau.

> Muttering about men in general,

MIKE: And Lee Van Cleef in particular.

> she quickly skinned the
> rotting animal corpses and cleaned their hides and skins in
> the river before hanging them to dry on the walls of the
> hut.

TOM: C'mon down to Carrion Hut, America's number one carrion retailer!

> The meat she used to create snares in the wilderness
> surrounding their campsite.

CROW: But all she caught were a couple of right-wing survivalists.

> When Alis joined Julian in the weaving and talked
> of making him another set of clothes if she could catch
> sufficient prey,

MIKE: (Julian) Do you suppose you could make me some flare-leg jeans?

> he told her, he'd quite happily do it
> himself, if she skinned the animals for him.

TOM: (Julian) Do the gross part for me, Mommy.

> And so, when
> the weaving was done, she disappeared off into the
> wilderness, returning with a clutch of furred creatures,

CROW: Now they're building a car out of things they find in the
wilderness!

> he prepared the fire pit on her instructions

MIKE: (Alis) Where are the house blueprints?
TOM: (Julian) Under the fire. Why do you ask?

> while she
> skinned them, and watched carefully as she showed him how
> to prepare the meat for roasting in the pit.

CROW: She told him about her secret recipe of eleven herbs and spices.

> She left him to tend to the cooking of the meal,
> while she returned to the wilderness,

MIKE: Oh great, Gloria Steinam found a magic lamp.

> returning some hours
> later with vines and long extra thick branches, these she
> carved the points on,

TOM: She carved the number of points she'd scored on Tetris that day.

> then soaked the ground to dig post
> holes, and set them into place one on each corner, then she
> lashed the frame of a roof in place.

CROW: Then she checked the OSHA regulations. Then she scratched herself
and made rude comments at passing women.

> Their days work was
> raised to cover their hut, and they celebrated what Julian
> thought was the completion of the hut over roast and fruit.

MIKE: What exactly did they roast? I mean, how could you leave a
crucial
detail like that out of the story? I think the writers are
getting
just a tad sloppy.

> When she went to her bed, she stripped,

MIKE: Well, I guess she's just following ancient history.
TOM: Say, Mike, If I stipped for her, would she strip for me?
MIKE: Uh-huh-huh.

> carefully
> folding her clothes and setting her armour where she would
> not trip over it.

CROW: Life in the SCA.

> She caught him watching her,

TOM: Ooooh. I bet Julian likes to watch. Heh-heh.
MIKE: Tom, what the hell are you talking about? Julian's slept with
someone
in every chapter so far! You've been reading the same story I
have!
Given that evidence, what on earth makes you think that he likes
watch?!?
TOM: Geez Mike, it was just a joke...
MIKE: Sorry. This story is getting to me.

> looking away
> each time she gazed his way, turning red, then she climbed
> into bed,

CROW: You're a poet, and you don't know it.

> and curled up facing him, her tail moving up and
> down her leg in a highly suggestive fashion.

CROW: (Alis) I want to play Parcheesi, NOW.

> He saw it, and
> the blush deepened, then the turned away, to strip for the
> night

TOM: And for the money.
CROW: If Elizabeth Berkley shows up, I'm leaving.

> leaving his clothes in a heap, and when he glanced
> around and saw her watching from her bed, a clear
> invitation in her eyes.

MIKE: "Come to Susie's birthday party with me" they said.

> His hands hovered over the breach clouts ties, then he
> climbed into his bed, facing the wall of rock and began to
> tell her of the terrors and abuse he'd suffered at her
> sisters hands,

CROW: (Julian) She called me mean names, and then she teased me about my
haircut, and then...
TOM: (Alis) Geez! What did I see in this clod?!?

> of his meeting with her father about life in
> the harems, the sensualist, of his escape.

CROW: Of cabbages and kings.
MIKE: Julian needs to take Remedial Pillow Talk.

> Alis slept badly that night.

TOM: Julian wouldn't shut up.

> And when she did sleep
> it was to dream of finding and repaying tenfold the bitch
> who'd stolen her lovers innocence so brutally with equal
> brutality.

CROW: (Alis) I WILL KILL HER!
MIKE: The bitch? Lassie?

(TOM hovers onto MIKE's lap. MIKE picks TOM up and ALL leave the
theater.)

[Planet Bumper]

Rottweiler

Feb 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/14/99