MiSTing "The Odyssey" (pt.8b)

Tjats

Apr 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/29/98

>At this I stepped aside, and in the scabbard
>let my long sword ring home to the pommel silver,

All: Huh?

>as he bent down to the somber blood. Then spoke
>the prince of those with gift of speech:

Mike: Speech: Your precious gift.
Tom: Next to virginity.
Mike: True.

>'Great captain, a fair wind and the honey lights of home
>are all you seek. But anguish lies ahead;

Bobo: In fact, there it is!
Servo screams in anguish.

>the god who thunders on the land prepares it,
>not to be shaken from your track,

Tom[in James Bond voice]: but to be stirred.

>implacable,
>in rancor for the son whose eye you blinded.
>One narrow strait may take you through his blows:
>denial of yourself, restraint of shipmates.
>When you make landfall on Thrinacia first

Mike: The land is falling! The land is falling! We have to tell Foxy Loxy!

>and quit the violet sea, dark on the land
>you'll find the grazing herds of Helios
>by whom all things are seen, all speech is known.

Servo: Oh, on AOL.

>Avoid these kine, hold fast to yur intent,
>and hard seafaring brings you all Ithaca.
>But if you raid the beeves, I see destruction
>for ship and crew. Though you survive alone,
>bereft of all companions, lost for years,
>under strange sail shall you come home, to find
>your own house filled with trouble: insolent men
>eating your livestock as they court your lady.
>Aye, you shall make those men atone in blood!
>But after you have dealt out death-in open
>combat or by stealth-to all the suitors,
>go overland on foot, and take an oar,
>untill one day you come where men have lived
>with meat unsalted, never known the sea,
>nor seen seagoing ships, with crimson bows
>and oars that fledge light hulls for dipping flight.

Mike: Are any of you paying atention?
Crow: No.
Tom: No.
Observer: No.
Pearl: No.
Mike: Bobo?
Bobo is snoring.
Mike: Okay, then, I'll leave.
Mike starts to get up, but Pearl points at him.
Pearl: SIT DOWN!
Mike: Yes, ma'am.

>The spot will soon be plain to you, and I
>can tell you how: some passerby will say,
>'What winnowing fan is that upon your shoulder?'

All bu Bobo: Huh?

>Halt, and implant your smooth oar in the turf
>and make fair sacrifice to Lord Poseidon:
>a ram, a bull, a great buck boar; turn back,
>and carry out pure hectacombs at home
>to all wide heaven's lords, the undying gods,

Crow[Monty Python voice]: Oop! They just died!

>to each in order. Then a seaborne death
>soft as this hand of mist will come upon you
>when you are wearied out with rich old age,
>your country folk in blessed peace around you.
>And all this shall be just as I fortell.'

Tom: And the whole story is summed up in three minutes.

(commercial)
----------------------
Questions? Concerns? Coments? Complaints?
e-mail tj...@aol.com

I can also send you previous parts of "The Odyssey" if they have expired.

Jim, the Mistie
"Watch out for John Agar!"

Briandubic

May 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/10/98

Could someone repost this, I don't seem to have parts 1-7.

Wait a minute. By Odessy you don't actually mean the actual epic by Homer?
Crap. You do! Risque, my friend. Risque. (that's risky with a French accent!)