[MiSTing] Moby Dick 2/3: Prologue 2, Etymology [Era: CHASE] [PRO]

McDLT

Mar 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/14/99
[Comercials end. And there was much rejoicing]

[SoL Bridge, its inhabitants are, well, standing around some
more]
[And stand a bit longer]
[Finally Tom speaks]
Tom: So Mike
Mike: Yes, my metallic miscreant?
Tom: English professors actually require this as reading?
Mike: Why yes! In fact, there are some schools that go
through marathon readings of Moby Dick. Hit it,
Cambot!
Tom: What?
Crow: Huh?
[The scene shifts to a grainy black-and-white newsreel,
scratchy enough so as to appear to be out of the
1940s. In the background, there is a large college
chapel, in the foreground there is a quad, with many
students sprawled out, all holding what appear to be
books, but, due to the quality of the image, might as
well be small spaniels.]
Crow: [os] Why look, it's Jonestown, the morning after.
Mike: [os] Dark, and stolen from Jeff Foxworthy.
Announcer: We are entering into the second morning of the
marathon Moby Dick reading here at Wake Forest
University.
Tom: [os] For those who feel there's more to college than
winning sports teams.
Mike: [os] Well, they were ACC Baseball champions.
Crow: [os] Deac-boy, Deac-boy!
Announcer: Several of the students have become rather restless
from this required reading, but we are told that many
are up to chapter 100 by now.
Bots: [os] chapter WHAT?!?!
Tom: [os] Holy cow, are we in for a long haul.
Mike: [os] With luck, Pearl with either serialize the novel,
or get sick of sending it to us.
Announcer: Perhaps who has benefited most from all of this is
Pizza Hut on campus, which is making nearly hourly
deliveries to the students out here.
Mike: [os] I wish we had pizza on campus when I went to
college.
Tom: [os] I thought you went to a trade school with no on-
campus living.
Mike: [os] Oh fine, rub it in.
Announcer: All reports are saying that they hope the students
will finish the novel by the end of the weekend.
Crow: [os] Or at least before the storms roll in.
Tom: [makes thunder noises with his sound effect subroutine]
Crow: [os, announcer] Oh the humanity!
[The newsreel seems to break apart, and the scene dissolves back
to the bridge]

Tom: Well thank you Mike, that was informative, and quite
time filling.
Mike: Yes, but I fear it's about time for the second of the
prologues to this piece.

[Sirens, lights, craziness, etc.]

All: WE HAVE PROLOGUE SIGN!

[6... 5... 4... 3... 2... 1... ...]
[The trio settles into the theater]

Crow: Well, I would have to say that was a fun little
segment.
Tom: But, where did you get that newsreel?
Mike: Same place I get your domes from, I have a little box
in the back of the cargo bay marked "Plot Contrivance
Storage." I used to have two, but I think someone
stole one.
Crow: Wouldn't be about the time Ratliff was on board?
All: Hmmm...

>Etymology

Tom: Oh, this sounds painful right off the bat.
Crow: Pillow time!
Mike: Oh no, you guys are staying awake for this one.

>(Supplied by a Late Consumptive Usher

Crow: Think, if he had died a bit sooner, we might not have
to be reading this.
Mike: Dark...
Tom: But with a certain sense.

> to a Grammar School)

Mike: As opposed to Radford.
Tom: Or Wake Forest?

>The pale Usher-

Crow: Fell?

> threadbare in coat, heart, body,

Tom: [Snicker] And brain...

> and brain;

Tom: ACK! Damn riff-back!

>see him now.

Crow: Yes, for I had him stuffed, and he is now here in
my study.
Mike: Dark as midnight.

> He was ever dusting his

Tom: Damn coffee table, dusting and Dusting and DUSTING...
OH GAWD THE DUSTING! MAKE IT STOP!
Mike: Uh...Tom...Are you OK?
Tom: What, uh, yes, I, uh, yes...

> old lexicons

Crow: Isn't that illegal?

> and grammars,
>with a queer handkerchief,

Tom: So it was purple, and triangular?
Mike: OK, well there's more flame for us.

> mockingly embellished

Crow: Hey! That's our job!

> with all the
>gay flags

Tom: This is just getting worse and worse.
Mike: Well, there were many rumors about Melville and
Hawthorne.
Crow: Uh, thank you for that lovely mental image.
Mike: Also, Whitman was almost flagrantly...
Bots: ENOUGH!

> of all the known nations of the world.

Tom: And a few UNknown ones

> He loved to
>dust his old grammars;

Crow: Didn't he say that already?
Tom: THE DUSTING! THE DUSTING!

> it somehow mildly reminded him of his
>mortality.

Mike: [the Late Usher] La de daah, dust dust dust...OH MY
GAWD! I'M GOING TO DIE!

>While you take in hand

Crow: [Opens his beak, then has it snapped shut by Mike]

> to school others,

Tom: Definitely illegal.

> and to teach them by
>what name a whale-fish is to be called

Mike: "Maurice"

> in our tongue leaving
>out, through ignorance, the letter H,

Tom: Stupid us.
Mike: Yes, 'ow are we to survive wit'out t'e letter " "

> which almost alone maketh

Crow: Nice homemade afghans.

>the signification of the word,

Tom: "Fruitopia"
Mike: Pointless AND a product plug.

> you deliver that which is not
>true."
>HACKLUYT

Mike: Gadzundheit.

>"WHALE. * * *

Crow: Hey, it's SNOWING!
Tom: YEAH! No school!

> Sw. and Dan.

Mike: Dan or Dave?
Tom: Obscure there, oh human one.

> hval. This animal is named

Crow: "Spot"

> from
>roundness or rolling;

Tom: [Singing] Rolling rolling rolling
Mike: Keep those hval's there rolling
Crow: With a big ol' slab of...
All: RAWHIDE!

> for in Dan. hvalt is

Tom: Loosely defined as "one who goes into the woods as
a young pup, and, while there, lives as do the bears,
and emerges bleeding but grown."

> arched or vaulted."
>WEBSTER'S DICTIONARY

Crow: Wow, we've never riffed that before!

>"WHALE. * * * It is more immediately from the Dut.

Tom: I thought that whales were mentioned more in the book
of Jonah than the book of Deuteronomy.

> and Ger.
>Wallen;

Mike: Who's Ger Wallen?

> A.S. Walw-ian, to roll, to wallow."

Crow: That's always fun!

>RICHARDSON'S DICTIONARY
>
> KETOS Greek

Tom: Those whales that don't shave under their flippers.

> CETUS Latin

Mike: The dead whales.

> WHOEL Anglo-Saxon

Crow: WASW, White, Anglo-Saxon Whale

> HVALT Danish

Tom: Cream cheese filled whales.

> WAL Dutch

Mike: Whales that go even on dates.

> HWAL Swedish

Crow: Jack Frost!
Mike: Oh, point off, that was Russo-Finish.

> WHALE Icelandic

Tom: Whalekavich?

> WHALE English

Mike: Yes, but where can you find enough tea for them.

> BALEINE French

Crow: Dipped in an egg batter and griddled.

> BALLENA Spanish

Tom: uh...uh...PASS!

> PEKEE-NUEE-NUEE Fegee

Mike: Not Tahiti, I'm depressed.

> PEKEE-NUEE-NUEE Erromangoan

Crow: HEY! Same to you bub!

Mike: What?
Tom: Well, I guess it's over.
Crow: Out shall we then?
Mike: I think we shall.

[All get up to leave]
[Commercials]
[Concluded (for now) in part 3, Chapter I: Loomings]