MiSTed: Stolen Memories (19/29)

Rottweiler

Feb 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/14/99
[SOL Theater. MIKE and the BOTS enter and take their seats.]

CROW: This story can kiss my asterisks.

> Alis moved along a path made by past life test kits, a
> largish furred pelt and slither skin hanging from her pack.

MIKE: Then she was stopped by the most dangerous predators in the known
universe: Greenpeace activists.

> Her bow came up and fired as a slither wound down a vine
> ahead of her.

TOM: (snake) Sssss... stop calling me that! I'm a snake, damnit! A
snake!
Sssss...

> The bolt pierced it scaly skull and it dropped
> from the vine to the carpet of leaves below,

MIKE: That's the second "carpet of leaves" reference. This forest must
have wall-to-wall carpeting.

> twitching
> faintly then was still. Alis approached it, bow at the
> ready, hand going to the hilt of the knife she used to skin
> her prey.

CROW: Not to mention assassinate Caligula.

> Then she came to a dead stop - noticing the
> slither had fallen into a depression

TOM: So she gave it Prozac.

> in the leaves in the
> shape of a humanoid, and a largish one.

MIKE: Andre the Giant slept here.

> She studied the depression,

CROW: And decided it really wasn't President Hoover's fault.

> and the area around her.

TOM: (Alis) Wow, there's the hollow tree! I'm gonna stop for some
cookies.

> There were Wilderbeast tracks leading away from the site,
> and she knew now what the beast was hunting.

CROW: (Elmer Fudd) Shhhh! Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. I'm hunting Tewwans.
Eh-heh-heh-heh-heh...
MIKE: Who's Terrence?
CROW: (Elmer Fudd) Not Tewwence... Tewwans! Wike Juweean!
MIKE: Wipe Julia? I don't get it.
CROW: (Elmer, annoyed now) Jeweean! Jeweean Basheew!
MIKE: What about Bathsheba?
CROW: AAARRGGGHHH!!!

> Cautiously she approached the depression and with a
> swift move picked up the slither by its tail and slammed its
> head, bolt and all into the tree it slithered down from.

TOM: Hulk smash puny slither!

> Assured of its non living state,

TOM: North Dakota.

> she retrieved her bolt and
> cleaned it with a hand full of leaves before reloading her
> bow with it.

CROW: (Alis) I need this to shoot Saint Sebastian with.

> She skinned the slither, and packed its meat away in
> her pack wondering what to do.

MIKE: Fry it, roast it or hickory-cure it.

> Was it right to continue onto
> the temple without tracking the Wilderbeast down to kill it
> before it killed another kit on her life test.

TOM: Was it right to wear checks with stripes?

> Was it wrong to help another pass their test,

CROW: Knowing that they would both fail the class if caught.

> by
> killing the Wilderbeast,

MIKE: (Gaston) Kill the beast!
TOM: (Belle) No!
MIKE: (Gaston) Whoever is not with us is against us!

> which would not give up the hunt
> until it caught its prey and feasted on her carcass.

CROW: Afterwards, it would let the hunt go for a small finders fee.

> Would
> the First mother withhold her blessing if she did so? Would
> she withhold her blessing if she didn't.

TOM: Will John and Mary discover Ted's dark secret?
MIKE: Will David leave Susan to be with Charles?
CROW: And what about Scarecrow's brain?
TOM: All this and more, on the next episode of _As the Reader Snores_.

> Was not the point of the test - to prove one could
> survive without the aide of others - to prove one was no
> longer a kit but an adult.

MIKE: To prove that the Denorex side tingles.

> What if the wilderbeast's prey
> was not another kit on her life test, but one of her
> mothers' enemies come to hunt her down and kill her to
> deprive her mother of an heir and leave ascension to the
> Matriarchy open to all comers.

CROW: What if the wilderbeast was actually Teddy Roosevelt in disguise?
TOM: What if the rest of the story consists entirely of hypothetical
questions?
MIKE: What do you, the reader at home, think?

> Attaching the slithers skin to her pack, she stepped
> back to wipe her hands on leaves and sniffed at them.

MIKE: (Alis) Me tracks - two, three days old!

> Wiping
> them over and over again till the slithers scent was gone
> and only her scent and the scent of the leaves remained on
> her hands.

CROW: She picked a fine time to become obsessive-compulsive.

> She moved back to the depression and fetched a
> double handful of leaves from the depression that had been
> left by the person's head.

TOM: The person must've been Ingmar Bergman.

> Raising the leaves to her face
> she inhaled deeply and then came to her feet with a roar of
> both joy and rage.

MIKE: (Alis) I'm happy as Hell and I'm not going to take it anymore!

> The scent on the leaves was Julian's - she had found
> her missing lover and he was the wilderbeast's prey.

CROW: So which one's of rage and which one's of joy?

> Eyes narrowed, she began following the tracks the
> Wilderbeast had left behind, stalking it.

TOM: (Alis) I hope I can save Julian before Superman does.

> Not it was the
> hunted, and she was the hunter.

CROW: Tribbles in a Napoleonic Era army.

> Julian ran, staggering along as fast as his weary legs
> could carry him.

MIKE: (Julian, exhausted) Must... find... Beanie Babies!

> Every breath he took was a pained gasp for
> air, his lungs and every muscle in his body ached.

CROW: It was worse than the time the coach had made him run laps outside
in
the middle of January.

> He was
> ready to drop, then he saw her stepping out from a thick
> stand of leafy trees.

TOM: C.J. Cherryh has arrived to protect the good reputations of the
other
cat-like alien races!

> She was dressed in armoured hunt gear
> armed with a high tech cross bow, pulling a bolt from the
> quiver strapped to her thigh.

MIKE: Why bows? Don't the Felistians have guns?
CROW: Yeah, but they don't have Charleton Heston.

> She loaded the bow with fast
> efficient movements and aimed it at him.

TOM: It's J'Alis J'Onzz, the Felistian Manhunter!

> Julian didn't recognise her in his panic stricken
> state,

MIKE: She shouldn't have been wearing those novelty "Groucho" glasses
with
the fake nose and moustache.

> all he wanted to do was scream with terror and
> frustration.

CROW: He's just now realizing that he can't stop Mission Ops Productions
from writing about him.

> He could hear the beast behind him, gaining on
> him.

TOM: Tommy Lee is chasing him?

> Without a second thought he changed direction diving
> into the foliage to the left disappearing from the trail.

MIKE: (Julian) I should get Met. It pays.

> Let her face the beast.

CROW: The bar-code scanner?

> He heard a roar of anger, whether it was the Huntress
> or the beast he never knew.

TOM: The beast he never knew from the night they never met.
MIKE: He also had a tough time telling the Olsen twins apart.

CROW: Say something funny about those asterisks.
TOM: No! Why don't you?
CROW: I don't feel like it.
TOM: Well, neither do I.
MIKE: Oh, I guess *I'LL* do it. Um... those asterisks sure do look
like...
uh, boy scouts on a nature hike.
CROW: That wasn't funny.
MIKE: At least I'm TRYING! Sheesh!
TOM: C'mon, guys, we've got to stick together here. There's plenty of
fanfic still to come.
MIKE: You're right.
CROW: Yeah, I'm sorry I snapped at you. Hey, I just thought of a good
asterisk joke. (clears his throat) It's a Keith Haring mural as
seen
from a mile away!
TOM: Not bad.
MIKE: I kinda liked my "boy scouts" joke. I mean, when was the last
time
you heard a boy scout gag?

(BOTS snicker)

MIKE: C'mon, guys, you KNOW that's not what I meant.
TOM: Sure, Nelson.
CROW: Whatever you say.

> Alis listened to the sound of the beast moving through
> the foliage, pursuing Julian.

(TOM hums the _Benny Hill_ chase music)

> She could hear Julian too and
> knew she was close.

CROW: Julian's a she?
MIKE: I guess the Wilderbeast caught up to him at some point.

> Judging the distance between them and
> the direction Julian was running in, she scrambled up a tree
> and began racing along the branches, hoping against hope she
> could reach Julian in time to save him from the Wilderbeast.

TOM: (Mighty Mouse) Here I come to save the day...

> Ahead of her, she saw the branches fell away, vines
> dangling down from branches above her head. Never pausing in
> her mad dash,

CROW: She fell down when she reached the gap where the branches had
fallen
away. The lesson is "haste makes waste".

> she grabbed a vine as she neared the edge of
> the chasm among the arboreal path.

CROW: Arboreal?
MIKE: It means "of or related to Arbor Drugs".

> She lept for the vine to
> swing across, her momentum carrying her beyond the chasm's
> edges.

TOM: Unfortunately, this left Shep, Ursula, and Fella on the other side
of
the chasm.

> She landed - on all fours, and remained where she
> was, catching her breath,

CROW: And tossing it up in the air again.

> ignoring the pounding of her heart

MIKE: And the ringing of her telephone.

> - to listen intently for the sounds of escape and pursuit
> below.

CROW: But all she could hear was some jerk blaring "Carry On My Wayward
Son" on his car radio.

> The sounds were coming from behind her now - not in
> front.

MIKE: (Alis) D'oh! Now I've gotta go back to where I started!

> She spun around, and moved to the edge of the chasm,
> looking down.

CROW: (singing) Look down, spin around,
Edge up to the chasm.
Look down, spin around,
Edge up to the cliff.

> Then she grabbed a vine winding it around her
> arm and leg and slid down it to the leafy carpet below, hand
> pulling her cross bow from her belt as she did so.

(ALL hum James Bond theme)

> She let the vine fall away

MIKE: It left the church.

> before she reached the
> ground,

TOM: And went "splat".

> landing in a crouch and bolted in the direction she
> heard the Wilderbeast roaring from.

CROW: Tiger tiger, burning bright, in the forests of the night.

> Alis came to a halt in a thick stand of leafy trees,

TOM: Which were actually Ents.

> catching her breath, and listening carefully, she could hear
> him, approaching, breath ragged, his gait uneven and heavy.

MIKE: Must have had the five-bean salad for supper.

> From the sound of it he was

CROW: Drunk.

> reaching the limits of his
> stamina, ready to drop any time, she sent a prayer to the
> goddess that he would not do so,

TOM: (falsetto) I'm busy answering Wiccan prayers!

> before she had dispatched
> the Wilderbeast,

MIKE: And its Oompa Loompas.

> then she stepped out onto the path as he
> approached.

CROW: (Alis) John!
TOM: (Julian) Marsha!

> She almost dropped the bow in shock when she saw him.
> Naked as the day he was born,

MIKE: Julian Bashir stars in _The Wild Child_.
CROW: Hold it! When he left the harem, he was wearing a dress. And now
he's NAKED?!?
TOM: The authors should at least keep their disturbing mental images
straight.

> covered in bruises, dirt and
> the fast fading claw marks that were too fine

MIKE: Oh claw marks, you're so fine. You're so fine you blow my mind.
Hey
claw marks! (claps twice) Hey claw marks!

> to have been
> received from the Wilderbeast and a sure sign that one of
> her own had assaulted him.

CROW: Yeah, someone had scratched her name in Julian's skin.

> She saw red,

TOM: Oh my God! It's a self-insertion fic!

> growling low in her throat, he'd been cast

MIKE: As Christian in a production of _Cyrano de Bergerac_.

> into a harem - she was positive of it - and she'd skin the
> one who'd done so,

CROW: (Alis) I'll make her represent Chicomecoatl!

> just as soon as she learned who it was.

TOM: She should call Columbo. He could figure it out in fifteen
minutes,
then spend the rest of the episode screwing with her mind.

> Then the Wilderbeast was bursting into view behind
> Julian,

MIKE: (Wilderbeast) Hey, have you seen the Pryorbeast around here? He's
supposed to be starring in a movie with me right
now.

> and all over thoughts scattered as she raised the
> crossbow,

CROW: Who, the wilderbeast?
TOM: No, Alis.

> taking a deep breath, ready to yell at Julian to
> hit the dirt or move aside so she could fire without hitting
> him.

MIKE: (Alis) How can I say "Get outta the way, stupid!" without denting
his
ego?

> Then Julian was diving into the foliage beside the
> trail before she could give such a command and she had a
> clear field of fire - and fired at the beast. The bolt
> skittered along its armour platting.

CROW: (Alis) What I wouldn't give for a phaser.

> Alis backed up
> reloading hastily, firing again.

TOM: Geez, Alis uses a bow more than Hawkeye does.

> But it was rising up to its full height

MIKE: Seven inches.

> and rather than
> taking the beast in the head,

CROW: The beast remained outside the bathroom.

(MIKE and TOM groan)

> her bolt found its mark
> between the armour plate of its hide. The beast roared in
> pain and furry,

TOM: No, it roared in pain AT a furry.

> grabbing at the bolt ripping it out, and
> throwing it aside, then it was charging for her.

MIKE: Using her Visa card.

> *Damn* She thought,

CROW: (Alis) I finally meet a man who wants to shop for me, and I have
kill him.

> then spun on her heel and ran for
> all she was worth,

TOM: Eleven dollars and seventy-two cents.

> heading back the way she had come.

MIKE: And slipping.

> Then it occurred to her, that in a way it was a
> blessing.

CROW: In time, she could learn to love the wilderbeast.

> Now it was after her, not Julian. If she kept to
> the ground, instead of taking to the refuge of the tree's
> above,

TOM: The wilderbeast would eventually get bored and go home.

> she could lead it away and give Julian the chance to
> recover his strength in relative safety. With that thought
> in mind, she slowed her pace,

MIKE: And the beast ate her. I suppose that's another blessing.

> just enough to stay ahead of
> the enraged beast and lure it away from her exhausted
> consort.

CROW: And toward New Kasuto.

(TOM hovers onto MIKE's lap. MIKE picks TOM up and ALL leave the
theater.)

[Planet Bumper]