MiSTing Repost: The Newcomer [ 2 / 4 ]

Joseph Nebus

Jan 20, 2007, 9:04:55 PM1/20/07
Well, that figures -- just after I posted the first block of
'The Newcomer', there was a server glitch on my Usenet feed that wiped
it out again. Google seems to have found it, though, so let me spare
you a second reposting in 24 hours and carry on to the second part of
this antic adventure.

Obviously when I originally wrote this I hadn't figured out
how to handle stage directions in a completely satisfying manner, but
like I said, I was really underprepared to write this when I started.

I don't know why I find the ``trifle'' riff so amusing, but
most of my best jokes make no sense to me anyway. Now if you don't
mind, the second part of Ryan Huber's The Newcomer:

--------
>Part 4

> Ryan and Kain...whom he had found used to have the name Eric on
>Earth,

CROW: Though he preferred to be called "Bootsie."

> had finally returned to their huts

JOEL: With special movie posters to decorate the place.

> and gotten a bit of sleep.
>Even though only about three hours of sleep was right up there with
>wanting to twist his ankle for the heck of it,

TOM: I think that sentence is in an alternate reality.

> he woke up surprisingly
>refreshed.

JOEL: Pepsi: The choice of a generation trapped in another dimension.

> As he opened his eyes, he was aware of another person in the
>room with him.

CROW: A-waka-chika-waka-chika

> He sat up and stared into the shadows. He saw a dark shape,

TOM: In the shadows?

> and
>was suddenly frightened. Who could have gotten in so easily...then he
>knew.

JOEL: It's Howard Borden!

> "Ha, ha...very funny Sonic...

CROW: Not that funny.

> putting a dummy in the shadows..."

JOEL: [ Singing ] There's a dummy in the shadows, Dear Martha, Dear
Martha...

> "Actually, I consider my self rather clever..."

TOM: I'm not, but...

> Ryan jumped into the air,

CROW: OUCHIE! That's hot.

> hoped to come down back on the bed, and
>missed.

JOEL: Oh, just like Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy.
TOM: Only not.

> After recovering, he quickly scrambled to his feet, and looked
>toward the sound of the voice.
> A fox stepped out of the shadows.

JOEL: Into the unlit room?

> Ryan thought to himself, "No
>wonder the shape was so dark...

TOM: It's night.

> her fur is black."

CROW: In case you missed her description.

> Sandra Nightweaver stepped over to Ryan

JOEL: It would've been quicker if she walked.

> until only about five feet
>separated them.

TOM: Also a gulf of sociopolitical ideals.

> "Well, well..." Sandra said. "So you're the hominid

CROW: Hominid hominid hominid...
JOEL: To the moon, pal.

>that Packbell's raving about...and human, too."

CROW: Vogue it!
TOM: Humans are all the fashion in Robotropolis this spring.

> Ryan regained his wits and composure,

JOEL: And earned an 8.9 from the judges.

> and replied to the stranger.

CROW: In response.

>"Who are you...and who's Packbell?"
> The stranger permitted herself a light slap on the cheek.

TOM: Mrrrowl!

> "How
>rude of me not to introduce myself."

JOEL: While I was breaking and entering.

> She bowed deeply, Ryan knew it was
>touched with sarcasm,

JOEL: He had remembered to read the script for the scenes he was in.

> but not much. "I am Sandra Nightweaver, finder of
>information."

TOM: "Well, don't you *ever* bow at me like that again, missy."

> Ryan allowed himself a small smile,

CROW: [ As Ryan ] I am just *so* decadent at times.

> and said, "Ah...a euphemism
>for a

JOEL: New World Wide Web search engine!

> spy...isn't it?"
> "Clever one, aren't you.

TOM: No, I think you have me confused with someone else...oh, wait,
I mean...
JOEL: Don't be mean. You're insulting a real person there.

> I suppose you could say that."
> "Thank you. Don't forget, I also asked about this...Packbell
>character."

CROW: Yeah, but that was like over a whole paragraph ago. We can't
remember everything.

> "Ah, yes...Robotnik's only android.

JOEL: He'd get another one but can't figure out how to make this
one's clock stop blinking 12:00.

> Capable of basic
>emotions...

CROW: Also entering sweepstakes...
TOM: Changing his long distance telephone carrier...
JOEL: Even forming primitive riffs on Star Trek fanfics.

> no mercy, however."
> "Sounds like a rather pleasant fellow...not."
> "Couldn't have said it better myself."

CROW: Though it was easier just to give actual information.

> Ryan judged Sandra to be quite clever,

TOM: This judgment was overturned on appeal.

> and not one to trifle with.

ALL: [ Shaking ] Trifle trifle trifle trifle trifle!

>Sandra judged Ryan in the same way. The mutual respect showed.

CROW: Is that mutual respect in your pocket, or...

> Both
>noticeably relaxed, and were less wary of each other.

JOEL: Wanna...mutually respect each other?

> "To whom are you loyal, anyway?" Ryan thought aloud.
> "No one but myself, but thanks for asking.."

TOM: We have some wonderful parting gifts for you, and thanks for
playing!

> Ryan smiled again, thinking.

CROW: [ Nerdy voice ] Ow! That hurts!

> "She's good...

JOEL: Well, evil, by original affiliation, but...

> gotta remember to
>never get her mad at me..."
> The wooden porch outside the hut

TOM: It's a split-level hut, did we mention that?

> creaked as someone stepped on it,
>and up to my door.

JOEL: My door?
CROW: This story's in third person first person omniscient limited.

> Sandra turned around quickly.
> "So sorry. Must go."

TOM: "You have a door around here?"

> Ryan turned to see who was coming in.

JOEL: Hey! It's Quickie Koala!

> Standing at the door was
>Rotor.
> Rotor peered around. "I thought I heard you talking to someone in
>here."

CROW: Personal lives are tightly regulated here, you know.

> Ryan looked around. There was no trace of Sandra.

TOM: Hey! We were gonna mutually respect!

> "I was, actually."
> "Who?"
> "I had an interesting conversation

JOEL: Almost.

> with someone called Sandra-"
> "Nightweaver?" Rotor finished.
> "Yes. Anything I should know about her?"

TOM: Well, she really likes Jerry from Gym class, but won't be in
the same room as Minnie from History.
CROW: I can pass her a note in Intro French.

> "Sally should hear about this one...

JOEL: She has such a weird sense of humor.

> Sounded like you two got
>along... Last time we talked to her, it was for a few minutes, and she

TOM: Insisted on giving all her answers as charades.

>was still deciding whether to turn us in to Robotnik or not. Obviously
>she didn't."
> "She seemed trustworthy to me."

CROW: She just broke in, admitted herself to be a spy, said she
had no loyalties to anyone but herself, and sneaked out, after all.

> Rotor wondered for a moment. "To you, maybe. She must be taking
>a liking to you...

JOEL: I can tell even though I don't know a thing about your conversation.

> Still, be careful...and Sally should hear of this."
> Ryan nodded. "I'll tell her right now."
> Ryan headed out the door...looked left, then right, then right
>again.

TOM: Darn these gas station maps.
CROW: Punch line coming in!

> He turned back to Rotor, blushed and smiled weakly. "Which
>place is Sally's?"

CROW: Ooh! They nailed that one.

> Some directions

JOEL: It's the one with the mailbox that reads "Sally" on it.

> and a few minutes later, Ryan was telling Sally
>all that had happened between him and Sandra.

TOM: [ As Sally ] "Did you enjoy your mutual respecting, young man?"

> "Well, Sally...after I turned and saw it was Rotor...I looked back
>and she was gone. No trace of her."
> Sally smiled and nodded.

JOEL: Whole lot of smiling going on these days.

> "Yes, she tends to do that. Thanks for
>telling me."
> Sally was beginning to trust Ryan more and more. Despite her dark
>premonitions

TOM: In the part of the story we're not writing.

> about the young human, she was beginning to come around,
>and see him as a total and complete equal.

JOEL: There's an Orwell joke in here somewhere, it's just not coming
to me.

> She was almost ready to ask
>him the questions needed for

CROW: Final Jeopardy.

> him to become an official Freedom Fighter,
>then send him on his first mission.

ALL: White Castle run!

> Ryan was beginning to like Mobius more and more, but still missed
>his old home.

CROW: They just can't do wide fields right here.

> He couldn't wait to be initiated as a Freedom Fighter.
>He knew Sally, Sonic, Bookshire, Rotor, Sir Kain, and some others

TOM: Ensign Nameless, Security Guard Deadmeat, and Security Chief
Anonymous.

> truly
>trusted him, but he also saw a few talking about him behind his back.
>He realized how they must feel about him being new and human,

JOEL: His shoes still squeaked.
CROW: New humans do that?
JOEL: Oh, sure.

> and had
>seen what they had been put through by a human, and understood. He just
>hoped it didn't escalate.

TOM: He might get publicly snubbed.

>Part 5

> A few Freedom Fighters stood in a group, listening to rumors and
>passing on mostly fanciful information

CROW: Like rumors.

> about the new addition to the
>group.
> One looked around quickly. "I heard he really is another android,

TOM: And what's wrong with androids?

>and he's hypnotized Sonic..."
> More began to join in. "Yeah, sure. I'll admit,

JOEL: Since that's the only way I'll get a line here.

> he probably is
>an android, but hypnotizing...nah. Could be that Robotnik's using him
>without his knowledge

CROW: Robotnik's doing stuff without his own knowledge?

> to find Knothole."
> "If so," came a voice from behind the group. "We all would have
>been caught before this and been roboticized right now."

TOM: Well, maybe they're all robots without their own knowledge.

> The Freedom Fighters spun around, only to see Bookshire standing
>right there.

JOEL: "Hey, Bookshire, did you hear some guy talking back there?"

> Bookshire shook his head. "How can you just make this all
>up? What proof do you have?"

CROW: I have a proof, but it's too large for the margin here.

> A few glanced around, and one spoke up. "My friend over here," he
>said, pointing to another, "says he saw the human talk to a SWATbot in
>the woods last night..."

CROW: They were necking.

> Bookshire looked skeptical. "Did you, really?" He asked.
> "Er...um.... No..."

TOM: Oh, it's a Sonic The Hedgehog production of "Monty Python And
The Holy Grail."

> "There you go...nothing but cruel rumors...would you like someone
>making up things about you, with no actual knowledge of the subject."

JOEL: Depends what kind of things.

> "But...the human-"
> "He has a name."

CROW: Winky.

> "Never mind..."
> The group wandered away in different directions,

JOEL: Aw, we're not a group. Just a bunch.

> and Bookshire
>shook his head again.

CROW: Once more.

> He knew that this was going to take a lot of
>getting used to...for him as well as everyone else.

> Ryan looked from the shadows

JOEL: And wondered what the heck he was doing on Babylon 5 all of
a sudden.

> at Bookshire and smiled. When he saw
>Bookshire approach the group, he had moved back into the shadows. He
>was very glad to know that someone

TOM: Possibly a raccoon.
JOEL: Or a walrus.

> was helping him out.

CROW: Or...not.

>Part 6

> Sandra Nightweaver walked back through the forest.

TOM: She had little choice as the planet was too small to allow for
any other geography.

> Finding Ryan
>had been quick, but definitely not easy.

JOEL: She had to find the house with the mailbox that said, "Probably
A Traitor But We Can't Prove It Yet."

> She had decided to start her search in Knothole, and was simply
>quite lucky that her search had also ended. She had instantly noticed
>something different,

CROW: His second nose.

> and it had taken her awhile to determine which hut
>was new,

TOM: It was the one with the fresh aluminum siding.

> then waiting until everyone else had gone inside.
> She rather liked the human. He was clever and quick,

CROW: He was?
JOEL: Don't be mean, now...we're looking at somebody projecting
his self-image in here. I don't want to hurt anybody's ego.

> much like
>herself, and she then realized

TOM: That son of a daughter stole my wallet!

> it. She stopped in her tracks

JOEL: You know, she actually does stop in her tracks.

> and spoke
>aloud.
> "I...I think of him as an equal...and friend.

CROW: All this mutual respect is going to lead to rock and roll, I
just know it.

> But...I haven't had
>a...friend...in a long time."
> She looked shocked for a moment, then smiled a bit

TOM: Mobius: The smilingest planet in any dimension.

> and continued
>on.
>
> Packbell continued his area scan.
> "There must be a power signature

JOEL: "To my biggest fan, thanks a lot, signed Robbie the Robot..."

> somewhere! Unless...unless since
>it wasn't the main transport to here...the power was lower, and faded
>faster. ARGH!"

TOM: I'm getting interference from a Geordi and Data scene.

> The android decided not to relieve his stress on a SWATbot,

TOM, CROW: Whew!

> but
>hold it in.

JOEL: Excuse me, where's the little android's room?

> One day he'd run out of SWATbots at his disposal.

CROW: Budgets just ruin all the good scenes.
TOM: Budget on a fanfic?

> "Hmm.." he thought. "This could work out to be much harder than I
>ever expected.

JOEL: It's a level 3 Revell/Monogram kit...those are so tricky.
TOM: Oh, I know. I tried building a level 3 Apollo spaceship Command and
Service Module, it took me like two years before I was done.
JOEL: Well, you probably could've done it in half the time if your arms
worked.

> However, one day, the hominid will stumble across
>Robotropolis,

TOM: Even though there isn't any good reason to think he will.

> and I'll find out more."
> Packbell smiled and sat down again, patiently going over reports.

CROW: "This book report is on 'The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn,'
a book written by the author, Mark Twain, on his writing of it..."

> Sally looked up, and smiled. She had finally decided.

JOEL: I *like* string.

> Ryan would
>be a Freedom Fighter.

CROW: But he really wants to be a fireman. Who's also a baseball player.

> She leaned out the window and called for Sonic.
> A minute passed, and Sonic was there.

JOEL: Sonic is the best insurance agent we ever had.

> Sally smirked. "You must be getting slow...took you almost a full
>minute to get here."
> "Sorry, Sal. Stopped to make a quick chili dog.

TOM: Characterization!

> What's up?"
> "Sonic, I've decided...I'll give Ryan

CROW: A wedgie.

> the chance."
> "Alright, Sal! I seriously think he'll be a good group member.

JOEL: He makes the coolest ashtrays, and he's really good with
making bows out of ribbons.

>Don't forget I call 'em as well as you."
> "How so?"
> "I supported Tolouse,

CROW: The Trekkie?

> didn't I?"
> "I'll give you that one, Sonic.

TOM: But you'll have to buy the next four at regular club prices.

> Now, please get Ryan."
> "No prob."

> Ryan was lying back on his bed, relaxing, and looking out the
>window, enjoying the fresh air and the beam of sunlight that was coming
>in.

TOM: This sentence brought to you by "Conjunction Junction."

> He felt a stronger breeze,

CROW: That slapped him in the face.

> and had already figured out who it was
>before the door opened.

TOM: ThunderCat Cheetara!

> "Heya, Sonic."
> "Hey, bud.

JOEL: That's "pal" to you.

> Sal wants to talk to you."

CROW: She found out you put the stink bomb in the teachers' lounge.

> "Seriously?! Wow! I have a chance, don't I?!"
> "Can't say for sure,

TOM: I wasn't paying attention either.

> but hurry up."
> Before Sonic could even finish his last sentence,

JOEL: Three to five, for malicious mischief.

> Ryan was up and
>out the door,

TOM: His door was on the second floor.

> practically running as fast as Sonic. Sonic grinned and
>turned around to go find something else to do.

CROW: I could alphabetize my socks...could gold-plate the cat...hm...

> Ryan ran quickly up to Sally's door,

JOEL: And bumped into it with his nose.

> opened it,

JOEL: Oh.
TOM: He's too clever to fall for that.
CROW: Quick, too.

> and entered,
>catching his breath.

CROW: Which was much faster than him on the 100 meter sprints.

> The heavy weight of excitement

TOM: Excitement is made of concrete?

> grew on his chest

CROW: Oh, uh, you got something on your...ew, that's gross...

>as he moved over to Sally, waiting for her to

JOEL: Mutually respect him.

> say something.
> Sally looked up and smiled. "Sit, please."

CROW: Sit! Good boy. Here's a Scooby-Snack.

> Ryan did. Sally could see the mix of determination and

TOM: Bisquick.

> excitement
>in his eyes, and knew he was going to be very helpful

CROW: Moving heavy furniture.

> during this awful
>war.

TOM: They're having a war?
CROW: Well, they said something about it, sorta.
JOEL: Maybe they just hold it on weekends.

> She sat also, and began to ask Ryan about all she wanted to know.

CROW: Is it true what they say about fur-less primates?

> [[Note: The questions and answers are being kept totally
> confidential,

TOM: Huh?
JOEL: I think we just broke continuity.

> as Sally doesn't want the interview to be known by
> all,

CROW: Just in case somebody reads this story and later ends up
being transported to Mobius and wants to fake being a freedom fighter?
JOEL: Well, transport to Mobius has happened at least twice, from
what this story says.

> because she wants to use these questions over to ask others
> in the future. See "Run with the Fox", by Kris Kelley, for more
> details.

TOM: Unless Kris did this same trick.

> ]]
>
> "Well, Ryan...that was the last question.

CROW: Did pick up the story's pace, though.
TOM: True. Maybe we're about to hit plot.

> I just want you to
>promise me two things."

JOEL: No hogging the peanut butter, and, like, don't be a traitor,
okay?

> "What's that, Sally?"
> "Don't be disappointed..."
> Ryan looked down at his feet

CROW: Which were down.

> with a little bit of a frown.

TOM: I have frowny feet.

> "And, Ryan?"
> "Yes?" Ryan looked up.

JOEL: At his nose.

> "Don't tell anyone these questions...

TOM: [ As Ryan ] What questions? All I got was this little
authorial intrusion.

> I don't want you giving hints
>on how to become a Freedom Fighter."

JOEL: But apparently just showing up one day out of nowhere is
all it takes, really.

> Ryan's face lit up,

CROW: Ryan's got halogen nostrils.
JOEL: It saves energy, really.

> and her jumped to his feet with a shout.

TOM: Hey! Who got shout all over my feet?

>"ALRIGHT! I made it!"
> Sally smiled.

JOEL: It *is* the smilingest planet in existence.

> "Good job, Ryan. Your first mission is already
>coming up.

TOM: I want you to return my videos to the store.

> It is a bit dangerous for a new member,

CROW: But we really don't care about any of the people we're sending out.

> but I think you can
>handle it. I'm sending you with Sir Kain."

JOEL: We don't like him, either.

> "Good. I trust Eric,

TOM: The Half-a-Kain.

> and I think he trusts me as well."

JOEL: He left me a chewed-up rat carcass this morning as a gift.

> "So..he told you the name he had before...

CROW: Well, more like he doesn't seem to not tell anyone his name.

> Anyway, exactly why I
>chose him to go."

JOEL: It's a mystery to me, too.

> "When do we leave?"
> "Tomorrow. Early morning."

TOM: That way you won't have a chance of being prepared.

> "What's the mission going to be, anyway?"

CROW: You're to be captured, and then killed--oh, wait, forget I
said that--

> "Information retrieval.

JOEL: Our cable TV is down.

> Sonic's uncle, Charles,

[ JOEL and CROW giggle ]
TOM: Charles the Hedgehog?
CROW: Sorry, Charlie. We only roboticize the *best* hedgehogs.

> was roboticized,

CROW: Oh.

>but he has control again. He's our link to Robotnik's information."

CROW: www-dot-robotnik-dot-org.

> "I see. Fairly easy, but be on guard for the unexpected, eh?"

JOEL: Oh...yeah, guard, whatever.

> "Exactly. Good luck, Ryan. I believe in

CROW: Crystal Light.
TOM: I believe in *me*.