OTP: His Finest (Quarter) Hour

Bill Livingston

Mar 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/24/00
I just saw a TV commercial. Starrig Lou "Mambo No. 5" Bega. For Hardee's.

Well, if you're only allotted 15 minutes, why not make the best of it, right?

Bill L.
Realizing there's quite a stretch between the terms "best" and "Hardee's", but
it's the principal of the thing.
bi...@Traveller.COM http:\\www.hsv.tis.net\~bill
He that is of a merry heart hath
a continual feast - Prov. 15:15b

The Midnight Rambler

Mar 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/24/00
Bill Livingston wrote:

> I just saw a TV commercial. Starrig Lou "Mambo No. 5" Bega. For Hardee's.
>
> Well, if you're only allotted 15 minutes, why not make the best of it, right?

Oh, you haven't seen the Sprint "One and One is Two" version? Or Lou
changing the words to fit Pokemon on the WB?

Have you? *evil look*

Another secret message to the Majestic 12 from
Big Rob Fontenot, The Midnight Rambler
http://beatles.about.com
"God is a 17-year-old girl with a credit card who
wants to buy me a recording studio." -- Kim Fowley

Randy Golden

Mar 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/24/00
Bill wrote:
>I just saw a TV commercial. Starrig Lou "Mambo No. 5" Bega. For Hardee's.
>
>Well, if you're only allotted 15 minutes, why not make the best of it, right?

When I took my son to see "The Tigger Movie", there was a brief musical number
preceding the film": Lou Bega himself, singing "Disney Mambo Number Five".
Basically the same song, but with the ladies' names replaced by Mickey, Minnie,
Donald, and Daisy.

Upon conclusion, my 5-year-old made a face and announced succinctly with no
prompting from me, "I HATE that song." That's my boy.

By the time Lou's done milking the heck out of it, poor Weird Al won't have a
single angle left from which to parody it, 'cause Lou will've already done 'em
all himself.

>Bill L.
>Realizing there's quite a stretch between the terms "best" and "Hardee's",
>but
>it's the principal of the thing.

It's easy. Hardee's is basically the same thing as Smiley Burger, which was
featured in the film "American Beauty", which has been nominated for Best
Picture. Three degrees,

Six Degrees of Hardee's! The new craze that's sweeping YOUR neighborhood!

Randy G--
Your turn, Bill. Connect "Hardee's" and "mouthwash".

MST Info Club #94720. E-mail always welcome.
" 'Happiness' is a word for amateurs." --Violent Femmes, "Happiness Is".

melcocha

Mar 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/24/00
before the MelOdie Inquisition burned Randy Golden, he pleaded:

> Bill wrote:
>>I just saw a TV commercial. Starrig Lou "Mambo No. 5" Bega. For Hardee's.
>>
>>Well, if you're only allotted 15 minutes, why not make the best of it, right?
>
> When I took my son to see "The Tigger Movie", there was a brief musical number
> preceding the film": Lou Bega himself, singing "Disney Mambo Number Five".
> Basically the same song, but with the ladies' names replaced by Mickey,
Minnie,
> Donald, and Daisy.

::deep shudder:: So few songs get around to mentioning my (middle) name,
yet Lou had to go and ruin this one. Thanks, Mr Bega!

> Upon conclusion, my 5-year-old made a face and announced succinctly with no
> prompting from me, "I HATE that song." That's my boy.
>
> By the time Lou's done milking the heck out of it, poor Weird Al won't have a
> single angle left from which to parody it, 'cause Lou will've already done 'em
> all himself.

Good! Make Al work for it. Keep him on his fuzzy toes.

>>Bill L.
>>Realizing there's quite a stretch between the terms "best" and "Hardee's",
>>but
>>it's the principal of the thing.
>
> It's easy. Hardee's is basically the same thing as Smiley Burger, which was
> featured in the film "American Beauty", which has been nominated for Best
> Picture. Three degrees,

Nay! Lies! It's very obviously Carl's Jr. Just take a look at the
pictures. They're basically Carl's Jr pictures with other words glued over
them. The little Smiley burger logo is a castrated Carl's Jr star.

> Six Degrees of Hardee's! The new craze that's sweeping YOUR neighborhood!
>
> Randy G--
> Your turn, Bill. Connect "Hardee's" and "mouthwash".

Hardee's burgers make me have to reach for the mouthwash. Blech. Nasty
food, that Hardees. It is among the pantheon of wretched food
poisoning-inducing fast food places: Arby's, Whattaburger, Hardees... These
are the Unholy. These are the Evil. These are Those What Result in
Emergency Stomach Pumping. ::writhes::

--
ky mellie (yuck yuck yuck)
Visit Super Mel's Sheep Ranch: http://sheepranch.home.mindspring.com

Randy Golden

Mar 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/24/00
Nobody expects the Mellie Inquisition:

>before the MelOdie Inquisition burned Randy Golden, he pleaded:
>
>> Bill wrote:
>>>I just saw a TV commercial. Starrig Lou "Mambo No. 5" Bega. For Hardee's.
>>>
>>>Well, if you're only allotted 15 minutes, why not make the best of it,
>right?
>>
>> When I took my son to see "The Tigger Movie", there was a brief musical
>number
>> preceding the film": Lou Bega himself, singing "Disney Mambo Number Five".
>> Basically the same song, but with the ladies' names replaced by Mickey,
>Minnie,
>> Donald, and Daisy.
>
> ::deep shudder:: So few songs get around to mentioning my (middle) name,
>yet Lou had to go and ruin this one. Thanks, Mr Bega!

In the near future, everyone will have their name ruined by Lou Bega for five
minutes! NOBODY IS SAFE!

>> Upon conclusion, my 5-year-old made a face and announced succinctly with no
>> prompting from me, "I HATE that song." That's my boy.
>>
>> By the time Lou's done milking the heck out of it, poor Weird Al won't have
>> single angle left from which to parody it, 'cause Lou will've already done
>'em
>> all himself.
>
> Good! Make Al work for it. Keep him on his fuzzy toes.

The last thing I wanna see is an aging, bloated, sideburned Weird Al barking
out orders to his band while he composes entire albums about what he ate foir
lunch and how well it digested. KEEP IT REAL, AL!

>>>Bill L.
>>>Realizing there's quite a stretch between the terms "best" and "Hardee's",
>>>but
>>>it's the principal of the thing.
>>
>> It's easy. Hardee's is basically the same thing as Smiley Burger, which
>was
>> featured in the film "American Beauty", which has been nominated for Best
>> Picture. Three degrees,
>
> Nay! Lies! It's very obviously Carl's Jr. Just take a look at the
>pictures. They're basically Carl's Jr pictures with other words glued over
>them. The little Smiley burger logo is a castrated Carl's Jr star.

Living in a state which knows not of Carl's Jr. (Don't they own Hardee's?), I
lack context, but will trust you in this, as in all things castration-related.

>> Six Degrees of Hardee's! The new craze that's sweeping YOUR neighborhood!
>>
>> Randy G--
>> Your turn, Bill. Connect "Hardee's" and "mouthwash".
>
> Hardee's burgers make me have to reach for the mouthwash. Blech. Nasty
>food, that Hardees. It is among the pantheon of wretched food
>poisoning-inducing fast food places: Arby's, Whattaburger, Hardees... These
>are the Unholy. These are the Evil. These are Those What Result in
>Emergency Stomach Pumping. ::writhes::

I know not of this Whattaburger. However, I will not step foot in any Hardee's
once breakfast is over. Nope nope nope.

And yet...we part ways on the divisive Arby's issue. Granted, it's rare that I
have enough money for the down payment on one of their combo meals, but on that
rare occasion when I have done without groceries for an entire week and can
afford some morsels there, it ROCKS. The Giant Roast Beef was tailor-made for
men such as I.

Okay, their "homestyle" fries suck. (By "home", I assume we're referring to the
halfway house which supplied the teens that were paid three bucks an hour to
help process these things.) I'll give you that.

But the Arby's Apple Turnover is, bar none, the best non-ice-cream-based
fast-food dessert around. Period. Quote me. Or not.

Randy G--
Then there's Rally's, the Anti-Arby's--great fries, horrifying attempts at
burgers. Ugh.

melcocha

Mar 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/24/00
Randy Golden confessed to the MelOdie Inquisition:

> Nobody expects the Mellie Inquisition:
>> before the MelOdie Inquisition burned Randy Golden, he pleaded:

[snip]

>>> When I took my son to see "The Tigger Movie", there was a brief musical
>>> number preceding the film": Lou Bega himself, singing "Disney Mambo Number
>>> Five". Basically the same song, but with the ladies' names replaced by
>>> Mickey, Minnie, Donald, and Daisy.

>> ::deep shudder:: So few songs get around to mentioning my (middle) name, yet
>> Lou had to go and ruin this one. Thanks, Mr Bega!

> In the near future, everyone will have their name ruined by Lou Bega for five
> minutes! NOBODY IS SAFE!

Nay! Lies! Like it's not enough that my first name was ruined by being in
West Side Story? Thanks to that wretched, wretched, wretched piece of work,
not even Santana can sing about a Maria without mentioning West Side Story.
Pfft. I've got news for you, buddy! Some of us date people our families or
gang or Odie likes.

Well, I don't. But I'm sure some Maria must.

>>> By the time Lou's done milking the heck out of it, poor Weird Al won't have
>>> a single angle left from which to parody it, 'cause Lou will've already done
>>> 'em all himself.

>> Good! Make Al work for it. Keep him on his fuzzy toes.

> The last thing I wanna see is an aging, bloated, sideburned Weird Al barking
> out orders to his band while he composes entire albums about what he ate foir
> lunch and how well it digested. KEEP IT REAL, AL!

I thought that *was* what Weird Al did. ::smiles sweetly::

>>> It's easy. Hardee's is basically the same thing as Smiley Burger, which was
>>> featured in the film "American Beauty", which has been nominated for Best
>>> Picture. Three degrees,

>> Nay! Lies! It's very obviously Carl's Jr. Just take a look at the pictures.
>> They're basically Carl's Jr pictures with other words glued over them. The
>> little Smiley burger logo is a castrated Carl's Jr star.

> Living in a state which knows not of Carl's Jr. (Don't they own Hardee's?), I
> lack context, but will trust you in this, as in all things castration-related.

Your state doesn't have a Carl's Jr? Huh. Well, I suppose you don't have a
Jack in the Box either. Which I find odd since Jack in the Box is the
*ultimate* man's fast food place. It's cheap. It's greasy. Their burgers
are heavy on bacon and light on vegetable-like substances. Unless you count
ketchup. Every man I've ever been sister to, friends with, or sired by has
had their eyes light up at the mere mention of Jack. His head graced my
car's antennae thanks to one of my male friends. I've been subjected to
Jack's Girl Combo (what I call the teriyaki veggie bowl and diet coke my
males buy me) too many times to count. And what a pathetic medley of
veggies and chicken shavings it is.

>>> Six Degrees of Hardee's! The new craze that's sweeping YOUR neighborhood!

>>> Randy G-- Your turn, Bill. Connect "Hardee's" and "mouthwash".

>> Hardee's burgers make me have to reach for the mouthwash. Blech. Nasty food,
>> that Hardees. It is among the pantheon of wretched food poisoning-inducing
>> fast food places: Arby's, Whattaburger, Hardees... These are the Unholy.
>> These are the Evil. These are Those What Result in Emergency Stomach Pumping.
>> ::writhes::

> I know not of this Whattaburger. However, I will not step foot in any
> Hardee's once breakfast is over. Nope nope nope.

Whattaburger is the MOST disgusting burger place evr invented! Bar none.
But it's open 24 hours a day, so I'm sure truckers and bleary-eyed club
kids out of Denny's benevolent reach must love it.

> And yet...we part ways on the divisive Arby's issue. Granted, it's rare that
> I have enough money for the down payment on one of their combo meals, but on
> that rare occasion when I have done without groceries for an entire week and
> can afford some morsels there, it ROCKS. The Giant Roast Beef was tailor-made
> for men such as I.

It's pre-chewed meat, Randy! But I'll grant you their cow shake (or
whatever they call it) is pretty good. My dad lugs one home for me every
now and then. When he's not plying me with the Girl Combo, that is.

> Okay, their "homestyle" fries suck. (By "home", I assume we're referring to
> the halfway house which supplied the teens that were paid three bucks an hour
> to help process these things.) I'll give you that.

The worst fries *ever* are Burger King's. I doubt they're even made out of
potatoes. They have these weird bubbles on them and they taste horrible.
Potatoes don't bubble, damn it! I do like McDonald's fries, sadly enough.
But only because my sad state lacks an In and Out. BUT my town does have
this great little burger place. Completely local. One location. And you
know it's good because despite its surly staff, the place is usually
bustling.

> But the Arby's Apple Turnover is, bar none, the best non-ice-cream-based
> fast-food dessert around. Period. Quote me. Or not.

Hm. I'm not much for fast food desserts. So I shall not merit the debates
of one dessert over another. Or debate the merits. Or order one. Or
something.

> Randy G-- Then there's Rally's, the Anti-Arby's--great fries, horrifying
> attempts at burgers. Ugh.

Rally's is also the anti-digestion. Yuck.

Hey, Randy? It's not sad that we're sitting here debating the merits of
fast food places, right? RIGHT? ::cling::

--
ky mellie (on an unrelated note, alligators will swallow anything)

Visit Super Mel's Sheep Ranch: http://sheepranch.home.mindspring.com

Randy_G:// "Ride me, Pokey! Use that malleable clay stallion penis!"

flaming_cat

Mar 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/24/00

>Every man I've ever been sister to, friends with, or sired by has
>had their eyes light up at the mere mention of Jack. His head graced my
>car's antennae thanks to one of my male friends.

Okay I'll have to hate you now. I wanted one of those things SO bad. Actually I
wanted boxfuls. I wanted to go around town sticking them to random car aerials.
Don't ask me why. Maybe it's the canadian equivalent to cow-tipping. Get bored in
a small town, go harass people's cars.

> The worst fries *ever* are Burger King's. I doubt they're even made out of
>potatoes. They have these weird bubbles on them and they taste horrible.
>Potatoes don't bubble, damn it! I do like McDonald's fries, sadly enough.
>But only because my sad state lacks an In and Out. BUT my town does have
>this great little burger place. Completely local. One location. And you
>know it's good because despite its surly staff, the place is usually
>bustling.

Mmmmmm. Should you ever cross the way of Calgary (that's in Alberta, dear *pat
pat*), I suggest you find a burger joint called "Peter's". Well-known, and for
good reason. Never did we take a trip out that way but that we would stop in and
grab a full meal. Didn't matter if we'd eaten at home, if we'd just gone out for
supper, whatever. That was the place. Burgers stacked high with every kind of
goodness. Doubled up on bacon with no extra charge. Fry orders large enough to
fill you on their own and make you want to weep for shame that you *couldn't*
finish them. Shakes so creamy and thick it took you an hour to get it up the
straw but IT WAS WORTH IT. *sob* now you've made me crave, Mellie, you bitch!
okay so it's sad to have an orgasm over a burger joint BUT THEY WERE REALLY GOOD
BURGERS. Lamely enough that's the first time I knew what anybody was talking about
when they said "you haven't TASTED a burger until you've tasted... <insert name of
old fashioned soda joint here>" Anyway. Go there. I commandeth thee. And bring
me back one of everything. Two of the fries.

(PS remember that picture on eBay? Guess who bid on it?)

--
flaming "drowning in her own drool" cat
I love you, flaming cat! :) -- The Midnight Rambler

To...@fred.net

Mar 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/24/00
This post on 24 Mar 2000 07:32:33 GMT would probably sound more commanding if Randy Golden wasn't wearing the Yummy Sushi Pajamas:

: Bill wrote:
:>I just saw a TV commercial. Starrig Lou "Mambo No. 5" Bega. For Hardee's.
:>
:>Well, if you're only allotted 15 minutes, why not make the best of it, right?

: When I took my son to see "The Tigger Movie", there was a brief musical number

: preceding the film": Lou Bega himself, singing "Disney Mambo Number Five".
: Basically the same song, but with the ladies' names replaced by Mickey, Minnie,
: Donald, and Daisy.

: Upon conclusion, my 5-year-old made a face and announced succinctly with no

: prompting from me, "I HATE that song." That's my boy.

: By the time Lou's done milking the heck out of it, poor Weird Al won't have a

: single angle left from which to parody it, 'cause Lou will've already done 'em
: all himself.

I contend the sole attribute to its original appeal was that it's opening
line contained the word "Monica" when it was released during the heyday of
the Starr Investigation.

Pavlov, anyone?

--
To...@Fred.Net http://www.fred.net/tomr

* Faith Manages...... But Willow is in Tech Support
* ATTN RICK & DARVA: What part of GO AWAY don't you understand?
* At the Movies: Jet Li and Robbie Coltrane in ROMEO MUST DIET

"This President is not above the law... dumb@$$!!!"
- Federation President Red Forman, "That Undiscovered Star Trek 6 Movie"

Mary Kay Bergman 1961-1999 - http://www.wackyvoices.com

Marc Bowden

Mar 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/24/00
In article <8bf701$jrn$1...@nntp9.atl.mindspring.net>, "melcocha"
<melc...@mindspring.com> wrote:

> Hardee's burgers make me have to reach for the mouthwash. Blech. Nasty
> food, that Hardees. It is among the pantheon of wretched food
> poisoning-inducing fast food places: Arby's, Whattaburger, Hardees... These
> are the Unholy. These are the Evil. These are Those What Result in
> Emergency Stomach Pumping. ::writhes::

Try to remember the good times. The glory days, when it was Burger Chef
and they had THE best kids' meal toys in existence. Before it morphed into
the K-Mart of fast food establishments.

Marc Bowden - Soulsinger ry...@merit.edu

Member of the Friday Night Society - Popcorn & Pain
Every Friday Night, 7pm in beautiful Ann Arbor, MI!

"It's like they said, 'Hey, we've got David
Carradine. What can go wrong?', and then just
shut their eyes and pretended not to hear the
screams."
- FNS 202 "Wizards of the Lost Kingdom II"

Stephen Cooke

Mar 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/24/00

On Fri, 24 Mar 2000, melcocha wrote:

> Hey, Randy? It's not sad that we're sitting here debating the merits of
> fast food places, right? RIGHT? ::cling::

There are few things in life finer that debating the merits of fast food
places, IMHO. Beats eating at them.

Besides, 90s cultural icon/00s cultural washout Quentin Tarantino built a
whole career on it!

I just hope that Michael Grasso skips this thread so I can just say that
HARVEY'S BURGERS RULE!

Di, fc, back me up on this!

swac
With a side order of shame.

Ruth McIlhenny

Mar 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/24/00
Bill Livingston wrote:

> I just saw a TV commercial. Starrig Lou "Mambo No. 5" Bega. For Hardee's.
>
> Well, if you're only allotted 15 minutes, why not make the best of it, right?
>
> Bill L.
> Realizing there's quite a stretch between the terms "best" and "Hardee's", but
> it's the principal of the thing.

Don't forget the truly creepy pairing of Vonda "No Talent" Shepard and
Smokey "Gotta Put Food on the Table" Robinson for the same franchise. A
very disturbing commercial, IMO.

Toodles!
Ruth

maclear

Mar 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/24/00
On Fri, 24 Mar 2000 12:56:04 GMT To...@Fred.Net wrote:
> This post on 24 Mar 2000 07:32:33 GMT would probably sound more commanding if Randy Golden wasn't wearing the Yummy Sushi Pajamas:
> : Bill wrote:
> :>I just saw a TV commercial. Starrig Lou "Mambo No. 5" Bega. For Hardee's.
> :>
> :>Well, if you're only allotted 15 minutes, why not make the best of it, right?
>
> : When I took my son to see "The Tigger Movie", there was a brief musical number
> : preceding the film": Lou Bega himself, singing "Disney Mambo Number Five".
> : Basically the same song, but with the ladies' names replaced by Mickey, Minnie,
> : Donald, and Daisy.
>
> : Upon conclusion, my 5-year-old made a face and announced succinctly with no
> : prompting from me, "I HATE that song." That's my boy.
>
> : By the time Lou's done milking the heck out of it, poor Weird Al won't have a
> : single angle left from which to parody it, 'cause Lou will've already done 'em
> : all himself.
>
> I contend the sole attribute to its original appeal was that it's opening
> line contained the word "Monica" when it was released during the heyday of
> the Starr Investigation.
>
> Pavlov, anyone?

*DROOLS*

Stop that!

Michael Clear
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
http://www.michael-clear.com
Updated 3/12/00

Spammers: hold up three fingers and read my email address
Everyone else remove read.betwee.the.lines to email me
--
Free audio & video emails, greeting cards and forums
Talkway - http://www.talkway.com - Talk more ways (sm)

Bill Livingston

Mar 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/24/00
Previously on "South Park", melcocha wrote:
>Randy Golden confessed to the MelOdie Inquisition:

[America's Roast Beef Yes Sir]

>>Okay, their "homestyle" fries suck. (By "home", I assume we're referring to
>>the halfway house which supplied the teens that were paid three bucks an
>>hour to help process these things.) I'll give you that.
>
> The worst fries *ever* are Burger King's. I doubt they're even made out of
>potatoes. They have these weird bubbles on them and they taste horrible.
>Potatoes don't bubble, damn it!

Mellie! You are indeed a woman of distinction and taste! Let me take you
away from all this and give you all this instead! It's true - whatever BK is
serving deep fried strips of, it's *not* potatoes! They are much less
potato-like than whatever is in their onion rings is onion-like.

I asked them about this, and was told it's a "coating" that prevents the fry
from absorbing the grease. Feh! Id I was worried about grease absorption, I
wouldn't have ORDERED THE FRINKING FRENCH FRIES IN THE FIRST PLACE!!!!

And it's sad, because in the distant past, BK had really good fries.

>I do like McDonald's fries, sadly enough.

When they're hot, they're great. But let them cool even marginally, and
suddenly, you're confronted with a great mass of yellowish rock.

>> Randy G-- Then there's Rally's, the Anti-Arby's--great fries, horrifying
>> attempts at burgers. Ugh.
>
>Rally's is also the anti-digestion. Yuck.
>
>Hey, Randy? It's not sad that we're sitting here debating the merits of
>fast food places, right? RIGHT? ::cling::

And it don't mean a thing if you ain't go that cling!

Bill L.
Doo-wop doo-wop doo-wop

bi...@Traveller.COM http://www.hsv.tis.net/~bill

Bill Livingston

Mar 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/24/00
Previously on "Digimon", The Midnight Rambler wrote:

>Bill Livingston wrote:
>>I just saw a TV commercial. Starrig Lou "Mambo No. 5" Bega. For Hardee's.
>>
>>Well, if you're only allotted 15 minutes, why not make the best of it,
>>right?
>
>Oh, you haven't seen the Sprint "One and One is Two" version?

Is that Lou? I thought it was just a soundalike. And anyway, that has the
redeeming value of having Sela Ward in it. *melt*

>Or Lou changing the words to fit Pokemon on the WB?
>Have you? *evil look*

Thankfully, I've missed this!

But now I can't get the mental picture out of my head.

Thank you, Rambler. Thank you so *bloody* much!

Bill L.
A little bit of Bulbasaur in life, a little bit of Psyduck by my side...

WonderBraWoman

Mar 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/24/00
On Fri, 24 Mar 2000 03:51:16 -0700 "melcocha" <melc...@mindspring.com>
wrote:
<snip>

> The worst fries *ever* are Burger King's. I doubt they're even made out of
> potatoes. They have these weird bubbles on them and they taste horrible.
> Potatoes don't bubble, damn it!

Don't you remember the introduction of the "new fries" about a year or
so ago? Crispier! Tastier! Better than McDonalds! They bubble, my
dear, because they dip them in potato starch before freezing them. I
think someone at the french fry plant thought "Ewwww! What are we
supposed to do with all this potato starch on the floor!" and wa-la!
The New French Fries at Burger King.

Jules
Likes McD's fries if their fresh and hot

"Hurray for progress, my a**" - RATMM's Tracy Deuel

WonderBraWoman

Mar 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/24/00
On Fri, 24 Mar 2000 09:26:09 -0500 ry...@merit.edu (Marc Bowden) wrote:
> In article <8bf701$jrn$1...@nntp9.atl.mindspring.net>, "melcocha"
> <melc...@mindspring.com> wrote:
>

> > Hardee's burgers make me have to reach for the mouthwash. Blech. Nasty
> > food, that Hardees. It is among the pantheon of wretched food
> > poisoning-inducing fast food places: Arby's, Whattaburger, Hardees... These
> > are the Unholy. These are the Evil. These are Those What Result in
> > Emergency Stomach Pumping. ::writhes::
> >

> Try to remember the good times. The glory days, when it was Burger Chef
> and they had THE best kids' meal toys in existence. Before it morphed into
> the K-Mart of fast food establishments.

Hey - I remember Burger Chef! Not well, but I remember it!

When I was a kid the hamburgers at Bob's Big Boy were the best. We had
a Big Boy down the street from where I lived and it was a real treat
when my Dad would give us money to go down and get some burgers, fries
and shakes. I remember my Mom always ordering the Swiss Miss Burger.

Jules
Belonged the the Big Boy Club even!

Stephen Cooke

Mar 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/24/00

On Fri, 24 Mar 2000, WonderBraWoman wrote:

> On Fri, 24 Mar 2000 09:26:09 -0500 ry...@merit.edu (Marc Bowden) wrote:

> > In article <8bf701$jrn$1...@nntp9.atl.mindspring.net>, "melcocha"
> > <melc...@mindspring.com> wrote:
> >

> > > Hardee's burgers make me have to reach for the mouthwash. Blech. Nasty
> > > food, that Hardees. It is among the pantheon of wretched food
> > > poisoning-inducing fast food places: Arby's, Whattaburger, Hardees... These
> > > are the Unholy. These are the Evil. These are Those What Result in
> > > Emergency Stomach Pumping. ::writhes::
> >
> > Try to remember the good times. The glory days, when it was Burger Chef
> > and they had THE best kids' meal toys in existence. Before it morphed into
> > the K-Mart of fast food establishments.
>
> Hey - I remember Burger Chef! Not well, but I remember it!
>
> When I was a kid the hamburgers at Bob's Big Boy were the best. We had
> a Big Boy down the street from where I lived and it was a real treat
> when my Dad would give us money to go down and get some burgers, fries
> and shakes. I remember my Mom always ordering the Swiss Miss Burger.

Mmmm....Big Boy shakes.....

I used to love going to Bob's Big Boy in Calgary when I was a kid,
especially since my dad's name is Bob, making me his big boy!

BBB has slipped a few notches, but the only times I ever see them are on
the side of upstate NY interstates, so I'm willing to give the regular
restaurants the benefit of the doubt.

And no collection of retro ephemera is complete without a BBB bank.

> Jules
> Belonged the the Big Boy Club even!

You still can, if you catch my meaning if you get my drift...

swac
*wink*

To...@fred.net

Mar 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/24/00
This post on Fri, 24 Mar 2000 16:29:49 GMT would probably sound more commanding if Ruth McIlhenny wasn't wearing the Yummy Sushi Pajamas:

: Don't forget the truly creepy pairing of Vonda "No Talent" Shepard and

: Smokey "Gotta Put Food on the Table" Robinson for the same franchise. A
: very disturbing commercial, IMO.

Hey! No dissin 'Vooda'.

She's my "two hours of punishment that isn't".

Ruth McIlhenny

Mar 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/24/00
To...@Fred.Net wrote:

> This post on Fri, 24 Mar 2000 16:29:49 GMT would probably sound more commanding if Ruth McIlhenny wasn't wearing the Yummy Sushi Pajamas:
>
> : Don't forget the truly creepy pairing of Vonda "No Talent" Shepard and
> : Smokey "Gotta Put Food on the Table" Robinson for the same franchise. A
> : very disturbing commercial, IMO.
>
> Hey! No dissin 'Vooda'.

Oops - sorry - YMMV, I suppose.

> She's my "two hours of punishment that isn't".

I...don't understand that reference.

> --
> To...@Fred.Net http://www.fred.net/tomr
>
> * Faith Manages...... But Willow is in Tech Support
> * ATTN RICK & DARVA: What part of GO AWAY don't you understand?
> * At the Movies: Jet Li and Robbie Coltrane in ROMEO MUST DIET

BWAHAHA!!! I wish they would release The Pope Must Diet on DVD, but I
have a feeling they won't. "Hey baby, wanna meet the Pope?" *sigh*

Toodles!
Ruth

WonderBraWoman

Mar 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/24/00
On Fri, 24 Mar 2000 15:02:16 -0400 Stephen Cooke <am...@chebucto.ns.ca>

wrote:

> On Fri, 24 Mar 2000, WonderBraWoman wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 24 Mar 2000 09:26:09 -0500 ry...@merit.edu (Marc Bowden) wrote:

> > > Try to remember the good times. The glory days, when it was Burger Chef
> > > and they had THE best kids' meal toys in existence. Before it morphed into
> > > the K-Mart of fast food establishments.
> >
> > Hey - I remember Burger Chef! Not well, but I remember it!
> >
> > When I was a kid the hamburgers at Bob's Big Boy were the best. We had
> > a Big Boy down the street from where I lived and it was a real treat
> > when my Dad would give us money to go down and get some burgers, fries
> > and shakes. I remember my Mom always ordering the Swiss Miss Burger.
>
> Mmmm....Big Boy shakes.....
>
> I used to love going to Bob's Big Boy in Calgary when I was a kid,
> especially since my dad's name is Bob, making me his big boy!

Yay!

> BBB has slipped a few notches,

I'll say... it's hardly recognizable.

>but the only times I ever see them are on
> the side of upstate NY interstates, so I'm willing to give the regular
> restaurants the benefit of the doubt.

Nope - regular restaurants are just as bad.

Though some do have a breakfast buffet that's not too bad.

> And no collection of retro ephemera is complete without a BBB bank.

Hmmmm... don't think I ever had one of those.

> > Jules
> > Belonged the the Big Boy Club even!
>
> You still can, if you catch my meaning if you get my drift...

Oh baby - I catch your drift alright! And what do I get for my
birthday, huh?

Jules
BBB Club used to give me a free burger

Jeffrey Johnson

Mar 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/24/00
In article <8bgaok$5gt$7...@hammer.msfc.nasa.gov>, bi...@Traveller.COM
(Bill Livingston) wrote:

> Previously on "South Park", melcocha wrote:

> >Randy Golden confessed to the MelOdie Inquisition:
>

> >> Randy G-- Then there's Rally's, the Anti-Arby's--great fries,
> >> horrifying
> >> attempts at burgers. Ugh.
> >
> >Rally's is also the anti-digestion. Yuck.
> >
> >Hey, Randy? It's not sad that we're sitting here debating the merits of
> >fast food places, right? RIGHT? ::cling::
>

> And it don't mean a thing if you ain't go that cling!

You play that cling-cling-cling jazz, or you won't get paid tonight!
---
Jeffrey Johnson
jaj94(at)concentric(dot)net
Whoooooh-oooooh

Michael Grasso

Mar 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/24/00

"Stephen Cooke" <am...@chebucto.ns.ca> wrote in message
..

> On Fri, 24 Mar 2000, melcocha wrote:
>
> > Hey, Randy? It's not sad that we're sitting here debating the merits of
> > fast food places, right? RIGHT? ::cling::
>
> There are few things in life finer that debating the merits of fast food
> places, IMHO. Beats eating at them.
>
> Besides, 90s cultural icon/00s cultural washout Quentin Tarantino built a
> whole career on it!
>
> I just hope that Michael Grasso skips this thread so I can just say that
> HARVEY'S BURGERS RULE!

Swac, what *animal* does that meat come from? Animal 58? Still, I ate them
every Wednesday before class, so so much the worse on me. :)

> Di, fc, back me up on this!
>
> swac
> With a side order of shame.

They do make it to order right in front of you, which is nice. And the onion
rings are decent, a step above BK.

Mike, but for God's sake, what kind of meat is that???

Michael Grasso
mgr...@sprynet.com
"piolet, poplet, piolop, poilet, piouf... aw, fuck typing."
- poor Mellie, trying to type "pilot."

Bill Livingston

Mar 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/24/00
Previously on "Rocky & Bullwinkle", Jeffrey Johnson wrote:
>bi...@Traveller.COM (Bill Livingston) wrote:
>>Previously on "South Park", melcocha wrote:
>>>Randy Golden confessed to the MelOdie Inquisition:
>>>
>>>Rally's is also the anti-digestion. Yuck.
>>>
>>>Hey, Randy? It's not sad that we're sitting here debating the merits of
>>>fast food places, right? RIGHT? ::cling::
>>
>>And it don't mean a thing if you ain't go that cling!
>
>You play that cling-cling-cling jazz, or you won't get paid tonight!

I can't stop, man, I'm gettin' to where I like it.

Bill L.
He ruined the ending, one of the loveliest parts in the whole [RATA-TAT-TAT-
TAT-TATTA-TATTA-TATTTA *slam*] piece!

Sheryl Gere

Mar 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/24/00
In article <ryumo-24030...@mactheknife.merit.edu>,

Marc Bowden <ry...@merit.edu> wrote:
>In article <8bf701$jrn$1...@nntp9.atl.mindspring.net>, "melcocha"
><melc...@mindspring.com> wrote:
>

>> Hardee's burgers make me have to reach for the mouthwash. Blech. Nasty
>> food, that Hardees. It is among the pantheon of wretched food
>> poisoning-inducing fast food places: Arby's, Whattaburger, Hardees... These
>> are the Unholy. These are the Evil. These are Those What Result in
>> Emergency Stomach Pumping. ::writhes::
>>

> Try to remember the good times. The glory days, when it was Burger Chef
>and they had THE best kids' meal toys in existence. Before it morphed into
>the K-Mart of fast food establishments.

:blink: :blink:

=That's= what happened to Burger Chef?

I thought I was making that place up.

I even vaguely remember the commercials with
Burger Chef and Jeff...does anyone else?

Sheryl, doesn't eat at most fast food burger places
unless there is no other choice...
--
'"The" Sheryl, MSTie #12802
Filker, punster and bookaholic

Stephen Cooke

Mar 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/24/00

On Fri, 24 Mar 2000, WonderBraWoman wrote:

> On Fri, 24 Mar 2000 15:02:16 -0400 Stephen Cooke <am...@chebucto.ns.ca>
> wrote:
> >
> > On Fri, 24 Mar 2000, WonderBraWoman wrote:

> > And no collection of retro ephemera is complete without a BBB bank.
>
> Hmmmm... don't think I ever had one of those.

They still make them, I think, and often kitschy little antique stores
will have older ones. Mine is just a big rubber Bob's Big Boy in the
chequered overalls, but my friend Cal has an older one that has BBB
carrying a big, detachable rubber burger.

> > > Jules
> > > Belonged the the Big Boy Club even!
> >
> > You still can, if you catch my meaning if you get my drift...
>
> Oh baby - I catch your drift alright! And what do I get for my
> birthday, huh?

Prime rib?

> Jules
> BBB Club used to give me a free burger

swac
Putting on his Dominion Store "Mainly because of the meat" BBQ apron...

Stephen Cooke

Mar 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/24/00

On Fri, 24 Mar 2000, Michael Grasso wrote:

> > On Fri, 24 Mar 2000, melcocha wrote:
> >
> > > Hey, Randy? It's not sad that we're sitting here debating the merits of
> > > fast food places, right? RIGHT? ::cling::
> >

> > There are few things in life finer that debating the merits of fast food
> > places, IMHO. Beats eating at them.
> >
> > Besides, 90s cultural icon/00s cultural washout Quentin Tarantino built a
> > whole career on it!
> >
> > I just hope that Michael Grasso skips this thread so I can just say that
> > HARVEY'S BURGERS RULE!
>
> Swac, what *animal* does that meat come from? Animal 58? Still, I ate them
> every Wednesday before class, so so much the worse on me. :)

Here we go, a Harvey's flame-broiled war...

Well, to me, Harvey's burgers taste more like meat than any other fast
food burger, with the possible exception of Dairy Queen. And they're not
microwaved like at Burger King. To me, Wendy's burgers are an even bigger
mystery.

> > Di, fc, back me up on this!
> >
> > swac
> > With a side order of shame.
>
> They do make it to order right in front of you, which is nice. And the onion
> rings are decent, a step above BK.

Plus, you can get Frings! (A mix of fries and rings)

> Mike, but for God's sake, what kind of meat is that???

swac
"Leftovers" (2 pts)

Jim Ellwanger

Mar 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/24/00
In article
<Pine.GSO.3.95.iB1.0.100...@halifax.chebucto.ns.ca>

, Stephen Cooke <am...@chebucto.ns.ca> wrote:

>Well, to me, Harvey's burgers taste more like meat than any other fast
>food burger, with the possible exception of Dairy Queen.

When you can write slogans like that, it's time to think about a career
in advertising.

As a result of this thread, I'm hungry for a fast-food burger that
hasn't been mentioned yet, the In 'n' Out Double-Double.

--
Jim Ellwanger <trai...@mindspring.com>
<http://trainman1.home.mindspring.com/> has plus value.

Bill Livingston

Mar 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/25/00
Previously on "Kevin & Kel", Sheryl Gere wrote:

>Marc Bowden <ry...@merit.edu> wrote:
>><melc...@mindspring.com> wrote:
>>>Hardee's burgers make me have to reach for the mouthwash. Blech. Nasty
>>>food, that Hardees. It is among the pantheon of wretched food
>>>poisoning-inducing fast food places: Arby's, Whattaburger, Hardees... These
>>>are the Unholy. These are the Evil. These are Those What Result in
>>>Emergency Stomach Pumping. ::writhes::
>>
>>Try to remember the good times. The glory days, when it was Burger Chef
>>and they had THE best kids' meal toys in existence. Before it morphed into
>>the K-Mart of fast food establishments.
>
>:blink: :blink:
>=That's= what happened to Burger Chef?
>I thought I was making that place up.
>
>I even vaguely remember the commercials with
>Burger Chef and Jeff...does anyone else?

Yes! Yes! I remember Burger Chef and Jeff! They were here, and now - now
they're not! *sob!* Oh, where did it all go so very wqrong?

Bill L.
They were - and they - oh, Burger Chef!
bi...@Traveller.COM http:\\www.hsv.tis.net\~bill

Ed Stasium

Mar 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/25/00

WonderBraWoman wrote:

> Hey - I remember Burger Chef! Not well, but I remember it!
>
> When I was a kid the hamburgers at Bob's Big Boy were the best. We had
> a Big Boy down the street from where I lived and it was a real treat
> when my Dad would give us money to go down and get some burgers, fries
> and shakes. I remember my Mom always ordering the Swiss Miss Burger.

There was a Burger Chef in the local mall when I was a kid. My one firm
memory of the place was that I *begged* my mom to take me there because
they were giving out "Star Wars" posters. Unfortunately, all the
posters were gone by the time I got there. (I recently saw somewhere
that those very same posters are now highly valuable collectibles.)

Oh, also the "Burger Chef" logo was in the shape of a chef's hat.
Clever, no?

[ED]

Stephen Cooke

Mar 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/25/00

On Fri, 24 Mar 2000, Jim Ellwanger wrote:

> Stephen Cooke <am...@chebucto.ns.ca> wrote:
>
> >Well, to me, Harvey's burgers taste more like meat than any other fast
> >food burger, with the possible exception of Dairy Queen.
>
> When you can write slogans like that, it's time to think about a career
> in advertising.

Maybe I *do* have something there...

"Contains significantly fewer nitrates than other leading burgers!"

"Have it your way...with the exception of the type of bread and the
suspicious-looking pickles."

"You deserve a break today...in rigidly scheduled, four-hour intervals."

> As a result of this thread, I'm hungry for a fast-food burger that
> hasn't been mentioned yet, the In 'n' Out Double-Double.

I keep hearing about these, but have yet to have one.

swac
So I'll mention the Hungry Jack's Double Deluxe, which is approximately as
big as your head.

Jim Ellwanger

Mar 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/25/00
In article <38DC3854...@hotmail.com>, Ed Stasium
<sta...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>There was a Burger Chef in the local mall when I was a kid. My one firm
>memory of the place was that I *begged* my mom to take me there because
>they were giving out "Star Wars" posters. Unfortunately, all the
>posters were gone by the time I got there. (I recently saw somewhere
>that those very same posters are now highly valuable collectibles.)

One of the old TV Guides in my collection has a Burger Chef ad for the
"Star Wars" posters...in the listings section, not in the color part,
because they weren't national.

Speaking of fast-food places not being national, Jack in the Box used to
be a lot more widespread than it is now. The first thing I ever read,
at the tender age of 2, in late 1976 or early 1977, was the sign in
front of a Jack in the Box (I recognized that the words were the same as
on my toy jack-in-the-box). They left the Tampa Bay area soon
afterwards, and I had to start reading books instead. It just wasn't
the same, so I moved to someplace where there were still tons of Jack in
the Boxes 22 years later.

--
Jim Ellwanger <trai...@mindspring.com>
<http://trainman1.home.mindspring.com/> takes a back seat to no one.

Jim Ellwanger

Mar 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/25/00

>On Fri, 24 Mar 2000, Jim Ellwanger wrote:
>
>> As a result of this thread, I'm hungry for a fast-food burger that
>> hasn't been mentioned yet, the In 'n' Out Double-Double.
>
>I keep hearing about these, but have yet to have one.

No wonder, because you'd have to cross the continent diagonally to get
one, whereas all I have to do is drive a few blocks. You gotta love a
fast-food place that has such a ridiculously simple posted menu (three
sizes of burger, one size of French fries, three sizes of soft drink,
three sizes of milkshake, one size of milk, and one size of coffee), but
a bunch of semi-secret esoteric options.

>So I'll mention the Hungry Jack's Double Deluxe, which is approximately as
>big as your head.

What? Burgers shouldn't be as big as your head. It's burritos that
should be as big as your head.

--
Jim Ellwanger <trai...@mindspring.com>
<http://trainman1.home.mindspring.com/> racks 'em up.

Chris Gleason

Mar 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/26/00
"Jim Ellwanger" <trai...@mindspring.com> wrote in message

> >> As a result of this thread, I'm hungry for a fast-food burger that
> >> hasn't been mentioned yet, the In 'n' Out Double-Double.
> >
> >I keep hearing about these, but have yet to have one.
>
> No wonder, because you'd have to cross the continent diagonally to get
> one, whereas all I have to do is drive a few blocks. You gotta love a
> fast-food place that has such a ridiculously simple posted menu (three
> sizes of burger, one size of French fries, three sizes of soft drink,
> three sizes of milkshake, one size of milk, and one size of coffee), but
> a bunch of semi-secret esoteric options.

Such as the 3x3, 4x4, ad infinitum: a Double-Double plus additional layers
of meat and cheese. Also the "Protein Style" where they serve said burgers
on lettuce instead of buns.

> >So I'll mention the Hungry Jack's Double Deluxe, which is approximately
as
> >big as your head.

I've always understood Hungry Jack to be the same company as Burger King?

> What? Burgers shouldn't be as big as your head. It's burritos that
> should be as big as your head.

Del Taco's Macho Combo Burrito. It's FRIGGIN' HUGE!

-- Chris "BKITU" Gleason
With the Jack-In-The-Box screen saver. Really!

The Midnight Rambler

Mar 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/26/00
Bill Livingston wrote:

> Previously on "Digimon", The Midnight Rambler wrote:
> >Bill Livingston wrote:
> >>I just saw a TV commercial. Starrig Lou "Mambo No. 5" Bega. For Hardee's.
> >>
> >>Well, if you're only allotted 15 minutes, why not make the best of it,
> >>right?
> >
> >Oh, you haven't seen the Sprint "One and One is Two" version?
>
> Is that Lou? I thought it was just a soundalike.

It is! But you have to include it in The Campaign To Make Everyone Sick
Of Lou Bega. It's, like, Rule #3 or 4 of what not to do with your hit
single.

> And anyway, that has the
> redeeming value of having Sela Ward in it. *melt*

Heh. You poor bastard!

> >Or Lou changing the words to fit Pokemon on the WB?
> >Have you? *evil look*
>
> Thankfully, I've missed this!
>
> But now I can't get the mental picture out of my head.
>
> Thank you, Rambler. Thank you so *bloody* much!
>
> Bill L.
> A little bit of Bulbasaur in life, a little bit of Psyduck by my side...

Oh, so you've heard it, then?

*buffing nails calmly*

Another secret message to the Majestic 12 from
Big Rob Fontenot, The Midnight Rambler
http://beatles.about.com
"God is a 17-year-old girl with a credit card who
wants to buy me a recording studio." -- Kim Fowley

Bill Livingston

Mar 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/27/00
Previously on "The Practice", The Midnight Rambler wrote:
>Bill Livingston wrote:
>>Previously on "Digimon", The Midnight Rambler wrote:

>>>Oh, you haven't seen the Sprint "One and One is Two" version?
>>
>>Is that Lou? I thought it was just a soundalike.
>
>It is! But you have to include it in The Campaign To Make Everyone Sick
>Of Lou Bega. It's, like, Rule #3 or 4 of what not to do with your hit
>single.

I'm waiting for the introduction of the "Psychic Mambo Hotline". That's when
I'll know it's all over but the shouting.

>>And anyway, that has the
>>redeeming value of having Sela Ward in it. *melt*
>
>Heh. You poor bastard!

Yeah yeah yeah. It's not gonna make me switch my Long Distance Carrier,
*or* make me watch "Once & Again", but still - Sela dances nicely!

>>>Or Lou changing the words to fit Pokemon on the WB?
>>>Have you? *evil look*
>>
>>Thankfully, I've missed this!
>>But now I can't get the mental picture out of my head.
>>Thank you, Rambler. Thank you so *bloody* much!
>>Bill L.
>>A little bit of Bulbasaur in life, a little bit of Psyduck by my side...
>
>Oh, so you've heard it, then?
>*buffing nails calmly*

Impolite and evil!

Bill L.
Coming up next, Brittney Spears and Ash sing "Choose Me Baby one More Time"!

bi...@Traveller.COM http://www.hsv.tis.net/~bill

WonderBraWoman

Mar 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/27/00
On Fri, 24 Mar 2000 21:31:34 -0800 Jim Ellwanger
<trai...@mindspring.com> wrote:
> In article
> <Pine.GSO.3.95.iB1.0.100...@halifax.chebucto.ns.ca>
> , Stephen Cooke <am...@chebucto.ns.ca> wrote:
>
> >Well, to me, Harvey's burgers taste more like meat than any other fast
> >food burger, with the possible exception of Dairy Queen.
>
> When you can write slogans like that, it's time to think about a career
> in advertising.
>
> As a result of this thread, I'm hungry for a fast-food burger that
> hasn't been mentioned yet, the In 'n' Out Double-Double.

I've heard of In 'n Out all the way out here on the east coast. *sigh*
Guess the only way I'll ever get to try one is if I come out and visit
you, huh Jim? And, of course, I'll stay a week and we will fall
hopelessly in love over In 'n Out Burgers and shakes. We'll be married
within a month, buy a nice house overlooking the ocean (with a white
picket fence), get a dog, and start working on those 1.2 children. But
the happily ever after alludes us. After the children, alas, you will
become a bit distant and me a bit restless and, after the the children
are off to college, we go our separate ways. I move back to the east
coast, preferably the outer banks, and start a B&B with Diane, Julia
and Lori. One afternoon, while wandering around in the vast, empty,
cyberspace, I find a website dedicated to the glories of In 'n Out
burgers. It makes me remember you with fondness and I decide to write
the webmaster and lo and behold... the webmaster is you!!! We realize
that we simply can't live without each other and I move back to the
west coast and we remarry, serving In 'n Out burgers at the reception.

Then we end up on "Beyond Chances".

*sigh*

Still want that burger, Jim? :-)

Jules
Hopeless romantic

WonderBraWoman

Mar 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/27/00
On Sat, 25 Mar 2000 09:39:09 -0400 Stephen Cooke <am...@chebucto.ns.ca>

wrote:

> On Fri, 24 Mar 2000, Jim Ellwanger wrote:
>
> > Stephen Cooke <am...@chebucto.ns.ca> wrote:
> >
> > >Well, to me, Harvey's burgers taste more like meat than any other fast
> > >food burger, with the possible exception of Dairy Queen.
> >
> > When you can write slogans like that, it's time to think about a career
> > in advertising.
>
> Maybe I *do* have something there...
>
> "Contains significantly fewer nitrates than other leading burgers!"
>
> "Have it your way...with the exception of the type of bread and the
> suspicious-looking pickles."
>
> "You deserve a break today...in rigidly scheduled, four-hour intervals."
>
> > As a result of this thread, I'm hungry for a fast-food burger that
> > hasn't been mentioned yet, the In 'n' Out Double-Double.
>
> I keep hearing about these, but have yet to have one.
>
> swac

> So I'll mention the Hungry Jack's Double Deluxe, which is approximately as
> big as your head.

One of my favorite burgers aren't big at all.

White Castle Burgers.

I remember my Dad would sometimes bring home sacks of them. The last
time I had "real" ones (not frozen from the supermarket ones) was in
Atlantic City after a night of partying. Yikes my head was spinning.
I remember my friend went out to get them and, after he brought them
back, we watched "Pee Wee's Playhouse" together. It was the first time
I ever watched it and it was the episode where he plays with giant
underwear. I bit surreal - hungover like anything, eating White Castle
burgers, and watching Pee Wee play with giant underwear.

I've been a fan ever since :-) .

Jules
Now how about spaghettios at 2am after being out?

Shelby

Mar 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/27/00
Bill L. writes:
>>>And it don't mean a thing if you ain't go that cling!
>>
>>You play that cling-cling-cling jazz, or you won't get paid tonight!
>
>I can't stop, man, I'm gettin' to where I like it.

Stop it! Just stop it, I say!

>Bill L.
>He ruined the ending, one of the loveliest parts in the whole [RATA-TAT-TAT-
>TAT-TATTA-TATTA-TATTTA *slam*] piece!

Now let's sing "The Yellow Rose of Texas"

Shelby
Or I'll succeed from the band, so help me Mitch Miller, I will!

Stephen Cooke

Mar 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/27/00

I've always wanted to try a White Castle "belly bomber", but I've never
been able to find a White Castle! In Syracuse, I saw a building that
obviously *used* to be one, but alas was now a real estate office or some
such thing. *sugh*

I've also seen something called "White Tower" (in Albany) that's obviously
a rip-off, or a former franchise turned into something a little more
public domain.

> Now how about spaghettios at 2am after being out?

Here in Halifax, the ultimate 2 a.m. food is a donair, which is like a
gyro only...not. Hard to explain, I guess you have to come here to have
one.

swac
Ate a microwave bean and cheese burrito after the Oscars (approx. 1:37
a.m. in these parts)...what was I thinking?

WonderBraWoman

Mar 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/27/00
On Mon, 27 Mar 2000 16:38:29 -0400 Stephen Cooke <am...@chebucto.ns.ca>

There used to be something called Little Taverns around here but I
believe they are all gone. I saw a picture of Georgetown or something
that had a Little Tavern in it and it made me long for the good 'ole
days of 1985.

> > Now how about spaghettios at 2am after being out?
>
> Here in Halifax, the ultimate 2 a.m. food is a donair, which is like a
> gyro only...not.

Ah yes - I remember you trying to explain donairs back when I wondered
what in the heck was that meat in a gyro anyway.

> Hard to explain, I guess you have to come here to have
> one.

Excellent! Let's see... I come to Canada to visit you for about a
week. Of course, we end up falling in love over donairs and caffeine
free Mountain Dews (FREAKS!) (sorry) and *so* want to be married.
However, there is some weird Canadian law about, I dunno, people born
in Hollywood Fla, grow up in Michigan and New Jersey, and live in
Virginia, not being able to immigrate without first learning all the
words to every song in Anne Murray's catalog, and we just can't wait
that long. So we decide to move you to Virginia and we marry and
settle down on a little 50 acre property in Middleburg VA nestled in
the Shenandoah Mountains. But, alas, our happiness is short lived for,
though you love me dearly, you miss crazy, quirky Canada and your
beloved donairs and, try as I may to take the caffeine out of Mountain
Dew and make donairs, I just cannot. We part ways - you back to
Canada, me back to - well, I keep the house - and the years pass,
neither of us finding another love. Then, one day, on a trip along the
coast of Maine, I spot a little cozy shop that boasts "The best donairs
this side of the border! And Moxie!!!" and I smile a little smile,
remembering you, and decide to stop in. Lo and behold, whose smiling
face do I see behind the counter, yours! We embrace, you getting
donair sauce in my hair, and we laugh and realize it is fate that
brought us back together as we now have the best of both worlds! I
sell the house in Middleburg, settle in Maine, and we live happily ever
after serving (and eating) the best donairs this side of the border.

*sigh*

Geez - can't think of anything else to write.

*sigh*

Jules
Stayed up for the entire Oscar show (for once!) but didn't snack
afterwards

Carl Burke

Mar 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/27/00
WonderBraWoman wrote:

> There used to be something called Little Taverns around here but I
> believe they are all gone. I saw a picture of Georgetown or something
> that had a Little Tavern in it and it made me long for the good 'ole
> days of 1985.

They weren't anything at all like White Castle, unfortunately.
One night, in desperate need of a White Castle fix, I ate there.
The burgers were really quite vile, which may help to explain
why they went out of business.

--
Barcode

WonderBraWoman

Mar 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/27/00
On Mon, 27 Mar 2000 16:33:15 -0500 Carl Burke <cbu...@mitre.org> wrote:
> WonderBraWoman wrote:

I have to admit I never ate at one of them. But seeing a picture of it
reminded me of the days when I would park my car in Rosslyn, take a cab
over the bridge to Georgetown, and just play and play and play.

Jules
Remembers an awesome little blues and jazz club called The Saloon

Bill Livingston

Mar 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/27/00
Previously on "Dallas", Shelby wrote:

>>>You play that cling-cling-cling jazz, or you won't get paid tonight!
>>
>>I can't stop, man, I'm gettin' to where I like it.
>
>Stop it! Just stop it, I say!

That's it, I'm gettin' outta here!

>>Bill L.
>>He ruined the ending, one of the loveliest parts in the whole [RATA-TAT-TAT-
>>TAT-TATTA-TATTA-TATTTA *slam*] piece!
>
>Now let's sing "The Yellow Rose of Texas"
>Shelby
>Or I'll succeed from the band, so help me Mitch Miller, I will!

And you cn cover up "Yella", and you can cover up "Rose", buddybuddy, but
don't your cover up "TEXAS"!!!

Bill L.
Okay, banjos - yug-dugga-dugga-dugga!

Bill Livingston

Mar 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/27/00
Previously on "The Jetsons", WonderBraWoman wrote:
>Stephen Cooke <am...@chebucto.ns.ca> wrote:
>>So I'll mention the Hungry Jack's Double Deluxe, which is approximately as
>>big as your head.
>
>One of my favorite burgers aren't big at all.
>
>White Castle Burgers.
>
>I remember my Dad would sometimes bring home sacks of them. The last
>time I had "real" ones (not frozen from the supermarket ones) was in
>Atlantic City after a night of partying. Yikes my head was spinning.
>I remember my friend went out to get them and, after he brought them
>back, we watched "Pee Wee's Playhouse" together. It was the first time
>I ever watched it and it was the episode where he plays with giant
>underwear. I bit surreal - hungover like anything, eating White Castle
>burgers, and watching Pee Wee play with giant underwear.
>
>I've been a fan ever since :-) .

Alas, there are no White Castles down here. I've seen them in the Frozen Food
section, and they were frequent joke fodder in soc.history.what-if since the
name of one of their concoctions was the "Slider". However, I'm reasonably
sure that niche in the fast-food ecological chain has been filled by
"Krystals", which markets small square burgers. Decide for yourself:

http://www.krystalco.com.

Bill L.
Fresh, hot, small, square.

>Jules

>Now how about spaghettios at 2am after being out?
>

>"Hurray for progress, my a**" - RATMM's Tracy Deuel

WonderBraWoman

Mar 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/27/00
On 27 Mar 2000 22:18:00 GMT bi...@Traveller.COM (Bill Livingston) wrote:
> Previously on "The Jetsons", WonderBraWoman wrote:
> >Stephen Cooke <am...@chebucto.ns.ca> wrote:
> >>So I'll mention the Hungry Jack's Double Deluxe, which is approximately as
> >>big as your head.
> >
> >One of my favorite burgers aren't big at all.
> >
> >White Castle Burgers.
> >
> >I remember my Dad would sometimes bring home sacks of them. The last
> >time I had "real" ones (not frozen from the supermarket ones) was in
> >Atlantic City after a night of partying. Yikes my head was spinning.
> >I remember my friend went out to get them and, after he brought them
> >back, we watched "Pee Wee's Playhouse" together. It was the first time
> >I ever watched it and it was the episode where he plays with giant
> >underwear. I bit surreal - hungover like anything, eating White Castle
> >burgers, and watching Pee Wee play with giant underwear.
> >
> >I've been a fan ever since :-) .
>
> Alas, there are no White Castles down here. I've seen them in the Frozen Food
> section, and they were frequent joke fodder in soc.history.what-if since the
> name of one of their concoctions was the "Slider".

*ahem*

"Slyder"

That is the name of the tasty little SQUARE burger.

> However, I'm reasonably
> sure that niche in the fast-food ecological chain has been filled by
> "Krystals", which markets small square burgers. Decide for yourself:
>
> http://www.krystalco.com.

bzzztttt! Sorry, Billy boy, but Krystal is a White Castle *ripoff*!
White Castles have been around since 1921 and Krystals - well, the
website indicates early 90s. And I bet their square "things" are
*fried*, not *steamed* like White Castles! And corn dogs? Psshhaw!
No real hamburger-by-the-sack place would even waste their time with
corn dogs!

Check out http://www.whitecastle.com

and feed the crave, baby!

Jules
White Castles rule, Krystals drool!

"Hurray for progress, my a**" - RATMM's Tracy Deuel

Greg Gershowitz

Mar 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/27/00
wrote:

>Alas, there are no White Castles down here. I've seen them in the Frozen Food
>section, and they were frequent joke fodder in soc.history.what-if since the

>name of one of their concoctions was the "Slider". However, I'm reasonably

>sure that niche in the fast-food ecological chain has been filled by
>"Krystals", which markets small square burgers. Decide for yourself:

It is my understanding that Krystal Burgers lack the oniony-rat
flavor of White Castles. I personally have never had a Krystal
(although they are available), and haven't had a White Castle since
1977 (or thereabouts).

-Greg "Bicycle Tour of OKC" G

--
-Greg "TORCHA" Gershowitz
-DGX3K's own Extreme Icon

The Midnight Rambler

Mar 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/27/00
Bill Livingston wrote:

> Previously on "The Practice", The Midnight Rambler wrote:
> >Bill Livingston wrote:

> >>Is that Lou? I thought it was just a soundalike.
> >
> >It is! But you have to include it in The Campaign To Make Everyone Sick
> >Of Lou Bega. It's, like, Rule #3 or 4 of what not to do with your hit
> >single.
>
> I'm waiting for the introduction of the "Psychic Mambo Hotline". That's when
> I'll know it's all over but the shouting.

Well, That's What Psychic Friends Are For.

> >>And anyway, that has the
> >>redeeming value of having Sela Ward in it. *melt*
> >
> >Heh. You poor bastard!
>
> Yeah yeah yeah. It's not gonna make me switch my Long Distance Carrier,
> *or* make me watch "Once & Again", but still - Sela dances nicely!

Could've been worse. You could've had a fascination with BURT Ward.

> >>Thankfully, I've missed this!
> >>But now I can't get the mental picture out of my head.
> >>Thank you, Rambler. Thank you so *bloody* much!
> >>Bill L.
> >>A little bit of Bulbasaur in life, a little bit of Psyduck by my side...
> >
> >Oh, so you've heard it, then?
> >*buffing nails calmly*
>
> Impolite and evil!

Thank you!

> Bill L.
> Coming up next, Brittney Spears and Ash sing "Choose Me Baby one More Time"!

Did I mention the Mitchell sex scenes? Eh?

Jeffrey Johnson

Mar 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/27/00
In article <20000327144823...@ng-fv1.aol.com>,
hot...@aol.comeasuare (Shelby ) wrote:

> >>You play that cling-cling-cling jazz, or you won't get paid tonight!
> >
> >I can't stop, man, I'm gettin' to where I like it.
> >
> Stop it! Just stop it, I say!
>

> >Bill L.
> >He ruined the ending, one of the loveliest parts in the whole
> >[RATA-TAT-TAT-
> >TAT-TATTA-TATTA-TATTTA *slam*] piece!
> >
> Now let's sing "The Yellow Rose of Texas"

C'mon you banjos, let's do that yug-dugga-dugga- oh, that's purty.

---
Jeffrey Johnson
jaj94(at)concentric(dot)net
I come t'ru de window

Bill Livingston

Mar 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/28/00
Previously on "Wonderland", WonderBraWoman wrote:
>On 27 Mar 2000 22:18:00 GMT bi...@Traveller.COM (Bill Livingston) wrote:
>>Previously on "The Jetsons", WonderBraWoman wrote:
>>>
>>>One of my favorite burgers aren't big at all.
>>>
>>>White Castle Burgers.
>>>
>>>I remember my Dad would sometimes bring home sacks of them. The last
>>>time I had "real" ones (not frozen from the supermarket ones) was in
>>>Atlantic City after a night of partying. Yikes my head was spinning.
>>>I remember my friend went out to get them and, after he brought them
>>>back, we watched "Pee Wee's Playhouse" together. It was the first time
>>>I ever watched it and it was the episode where he plays with giant
>>>underwear. I bit surreal - hungover like anything, eating White Castle
>>>burgers, and watching Pee Wee play with giant underwear.
>>>
>>>I've been a fan ever since :-) .
>>
>>Alas, there are no White Castles down here. I've seen them in the Frozen
>>Food section, and they were frequent joke fodder in soc.history.what-if
>>since the name of one of their concoctions was the "Slider".
>
>*ahem*
>
>"Slyder"
>
>That is the name of the tasty little SQUARE burger.

This burger is heartily endorsed by Jerry O'Connell!

>>However, I'm reasonably
>>sure that niche in the fast-food ecological chain has been filled by
>>"Krystals", which markets small square burgers. Decide for yourself:
>>

>>http://www.krystalco.com.
>
>bzzztttt! Sorry, Billy boy, but Krystal is a White Castle *ripoff*!

Blasphemy!

>White Castles have been around since 1921 and Krystals - well, the
>website indicates early 90s.

??? Actually, they've been around since 1932. Started in Chattanooga.

>And I bet their square "things" are *fried*, not *steamed* like White
>Castles!

Actually, they are. Ha! Ha!, I say. (as you will note ---> "Ha!")

>And corn dogs? Psshhaw!
>No real hamburger-by-the-sack place would even waste their time with
>corn dogs!

Krystal Pups! Buy 'em!

>Check out http://www.whitecastle.com
>and feed the crave, baby!

Actually, I note that there are several in Nashville (the only ones close
enough to be reachable). The next time I hit Music City USA (once in a blue
moon), I'll have to check out the phenom that *is* White Castle.

Hey, Epona! You live in the Nashville area (so to speak). What's your
verdict?

>White Castles rule, Krystals drool!

Oh yeah? Well, well, well - Krystals is rubber and White Castles is glue and
whatever you say bounces off of them and sticks to - um, them.

Bill L.
Noting that I've tried the freezer variety of both, and the freezer variety of
both royally bite.

Bill Livingston

Mar 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/28/00
Previously on "Sisters", The Midnight Rambler wrote:
>Bill Livingston wrote:
>>Previously on "The Practice", The Midnight Rambler wrote:

>>>It is! But you have to include it in The Campaign To Make Everyone Sick
>>>Of Lou Bega. It's, like, Rule #3 or 4 of what not to do with your hit
>>>single.
>>
>>I'm waiting for the introduction of the "Psychic Mambo Hotline". That's
>>when I'll know it's all over but the shouting.
>
>Well, That's What Psychic Friends Are For.

How did you know that?!? I'm convinced!

>>>Heh. You poor bastard!
>>
>>Yeah yeah yeah. It's not gonna make me switch my Long Distance Carrier,
>>*or* make me watch "Once & Again", but still - Sela dances nicely!
>
>Could've been worse. You could've had a fascination with BURT Ward.

Holy Pindrop, Batman!

>>Bill L.
>>Coming up next, Brittney Spears and Ash sing "Choose Me Baby one More Time"!
>
>Did I mention the Mitchell sex scenes? Eh?

Was Lou Bega in that, too? Boy, he *is* overexposed!

Bill L.
ThE mAsTeR wAnTs YoU tO pLaY "mAmBo NuMbEr FiVe".

WonderBraWoman

Mar 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/28/00

Hmmmm... I didn't find that little piece of trivia on the website. Of
course, I just scanned it as I am supposed to be *cough* working. At
the top of one page it reads that 91 franchises were added between 1992
and 1995 or something like that. Thus my false conclusion that they
are relatively new - I mean, why make a big deal of that?

The important point is is that White Castle came first! Ha!

> >And I bet their square "things" are *fried*, not *steamed* like White
> >Castles!
>
> Actually, they are. Ha! Ha!, I say. (as you will note ---> "Ha!")

I noted that you wrote "Ha". It is going in your Permanent Record.

> >And corn dogs? Psshhaw!
> >No real hamburger-by-the-sack place would even waste their time with
> >corn dogs!
>
> Krystal Pups! Buy 'em!

But don't eat 'em!

> >Check out http://www.whitecastle.com
> >and feed the crave, baby!
>
> Actually, I note that there are several in Nashville (the only ones close
> enough to be reachable). The next time I hit Music City USA (once in a blue
> moon), I'll have to check out the phenom that *is* White Castle.
>
> Hey, Epona! You live in the Nashville area (so to speak). What's your
> verdict?

Ms. Epona is not here to field this question so I will answer for her.

"Socks."

> >White Castles rule, Krystals drool!
>
> Oh yeah? Well, well, well - Krystals is rubber and White Castles is glue and
> whatever you say bounces off of them and sticks to - um, them.

Oh yea! Well my cat can beat up your cat ANY DAY pal!

> Bill L.
> Noting that I've tried the freezer variety of both, and the freezer variety of
> both royally bite.

Sadly, the freezer variety of WC is all I have and, yes, I do buy them
on occasion. They cook up quick and make a pretty good snack. Of
course I add ketchup, mustard, and occasionally pickles.

Jules
Not too discerning at times

Bill Livingston

Mar 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/28/00
Previously on "Joanie Loves Chachi", WonderBraWoman wrote:
>On 28 Mar 2000 01:06:16 GMT bi...@Traveller.COM (Bill Livingston) wrote:
>>Previously on "Wonderland", WonderBraWoman wrote:
>>>White Castles have been around since 1921 and Krystals - well, the
>>>website indicates early 90s.
>>
>>??? Actually, they've been around since 1932. Started in Chattanooga.
>
>Hmmmm... I didn't find that little piece of trivia on the website. Of
>course, I just scanned it as I am supposed to be *cough* working. At
>the top of one page it reads that 91 franchises were added between 1992
>and 1995 or something like that. Thus my false conclusion that they
>are relatively new - I mean, why make a big deal of that?

Because I am a big deal maker. At least I think that's what it says here.

>The important point is is that White Castle came first! Ha!

Before the chicken *or* the egg!

>>>And I bet their square "things" are *fried*, not *steamed* like White
>>>Castles!
>>
>>Actually, they are. Ha! Ha!, I say. (as you will note ---> "Ha!")
>
>I noted that you wrote "Ha". It is going in your Permanent Record.

But will it be on the mid-term? That's the important thing!

>>>Check out http://www.whitecastle.com
>>>and feed the crave, baby!
>>
>>Actually, I note that there are several in Nashville (the only ones close
>>enough to be reachable). The next time I hit Music City USA (once in a blue
>>moon), I'll have to check out the phenom that *is* White Castle.
>>
>>Hey, Epona! You live in the Nashville area (so to speak). What's your
>>verdict?
>
>Ms. Epona is not here to field this question so I will answer for her.
>"Socks."

Wow! That's, like, really deep. Groovy, man!

>>>White Castles rule, Krystals drool!
>>
>>Oh yeah? Well, well, well - Krystals is rubber and White Castles is glue
>>and whatever you say bounces off of them and sticks to - um, them.
>
>Oh yea! Well my cat can beat up your cat ANY DAY pal!

Hah! I don't even *have* a cat, but he can *still* beat up my dog! Wait,
lemme start over...

>>Bill L.
>>Noting that I've tried the freezer variety of both, and the freezer variety
>>of both royally bite.
>
>Sadly, the freezer variety of WC is all I have and, yes, I do buy them
>on occasion. They cook up quick and make a pretty good snack. Of
>course I add ketchup, mustard, and occasionally pickles.

Well, how can you have a really good burger without pickles?

>Jules
>Not too discerning at times

Look, Jules! A shiny thing! Give me some money and it's all yours!

Bill L.
Shi-i-i-i-iny!

Jim Ellwanger

Mar 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/28/00
In article <ppOD4.5952$A4.2...@c01read04.service.talkway.com>,
"WonderBraWoman" <ju...@nospam.com> wrote:

>Still want that burger, Jim? :-)

Uh...(backing away slowly)...I had it for dinner Saturday. But thanks.

Anyway, I see on <http://www.in-n-out.com> that there are five locations
in Las Vegas, so if you can make it to Reaper's con next year, a
Double-Double is a definite-definite possibility.

--
Jim Ellwanger <trai...@mindspring.com>
<http://trainman1.home.mindspring.com/> is where your friends are.

J. Christian Grymyr

Mar 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/29/00
Jim Ellwanger wrote:

>In article <ppOD4.5952$A4.2...@c01read04.service.talkway.com>,
>"WonderBraWoman" <ju...@nospam.com> wrote:

>>Still want that burger, Jim? :-)

>Uh...(backing away slowly)...I had it for dinner Saturday. But thanks.

>Anyway, I see on <http://www.in-n-out.com> that there are five locations
>in Las Vegas, so if you can make it to Reaper's con next year, a
>Double-Double is a definite-definite possibility.

::makes note:: Trip to In-N-Out. If we can find time between the buffets, and
if Mom and Dad and Grandma and I and the other congoers don't want to cook for
us, absotootley!

Reaper "The nearest In-N-Out is a bit out of the way for me" G
360 days to VegasCon