WOTP: LA LA LA LA...

Spork The Mango Weasel

Aug 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/18/96

Due to sheer curiosuty, sheer boredom, sheer music geekitude, and the need
to start another flamewar, what kinda music does the average RATMMer get
into? I know Zappa holds a place near and dear to the Brains, and I've
seen Thomas Dolby and XTC refs here, as well as old blues stuff...

My faves are Television Personalities, Ween, Nick Cave, Eno, The Bevis
Frond, etc...

I think Neuron just might be a Fabio fan.

Or at least Michael Bolton.

Chad "I really, really need a hobby" Van Wagner

--
"Seriousness Is Stupidity Sent To College." -P.J. O'Rourke
"Stare At My Butt" -My Cats

Daniel michael Bird

Aug 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/19/96

i'm also into ween,but i also like punk like the ramones and op ivy

Brian MacDonald

Aug 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/19/96

These are a few of my favorite groups:

The Beach Boys, Negativland, Guided By Voices, Severed Heads,
Unwound, Karp, Rocket From The Crypt, Drive Like Jehu, Flaming Lips,
Renegade Soundwave, Meat Beat Manifesto, Polvo, Neu, Can, Kraftwerk,
XTC, Wire, Spitboy, Heroin, The VSS, Prince, The Wedding Present,
Ween, Tall Dwarfs, Milk Cult, The Fall, The Beatles, The Chemical
Brothers, The Shamen (earlier stuff), 808 State, New Order,
The Boredoms, Pet Shop Boys, Jon Spencer Blues Explosion, Thinking
Fellers Union Local 282, Air Miami, Aphex Twin, Don Caballero,
Trumans Water, and many more.

Brian MacDonald <bri...@kuci.uci.edu>
KUCI 88.9 fM in Irvine, CA -- Orange County
La Tortuga de Internet, WWW, y Listserv
"Pheasant Plucker and Pleasant Phucker"

Spork The Mango Weasel

Aug 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/20/96

In article <4vb5to$e...@news.gate.net>, cgo...@gate.net wrote:

> Spork The Mango Weasel (sp...@frodo.com) wrote:
> : Due to sheer curiosuty, sheer boredom, sheer music geekitude, and the need

> : to start another flamewar, what kinda music does the average RATMMer get
> : into? I know Zappa holds a place near and dear to the Brains, and I've
> : seen Thomas Dolby and XTC refs here, as well as old blues stuff...
> : My faves are Television Personalities, Ween, Nick Cave, Eno, The Bevis
> : Frond, etc...
>

> I have several:
>
> Ministry, Skinny Puppy, My Life with the Thrill Kill Kult, Front Line
> Assembly, Biohazard, Sick of It All, Fudge Tunnel, Zeni Geva, Midnight
> Oil, October Project, Orb, Orbital, Vapourspace, Reverand Horton Heat,
> Negativland,

...so it would be safe to say you're not a Barry Manilow fan?

> Tangerine Dream, Christopher Franke, Brian Eno, Klaus
> Schulze, Frank Zappa, Steve Roach, Harold Budd, Sepultura, Wavestar,
> Dead Can Dance, Peter Gabriel, and Jean Michel Jarre to name a few. (:

YIKES!

You sure you're not my uncle or nothin'? That last bit sure sounds like him...

Chad "Seeing as we're both named Chad and all..." Van Wagner

Perri Mongan

Aug 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/20/96

In article <4vb5to$e...@news.gate.net>, cgo...@gate.net wrote:

>Spork The Mango Weasel (sp...@frodo.com) wrote:
>: Due to sheer curiosuty, sheer boredom, sheer music geekitude, and the need
>: to start another flamewar, what kinda music does the average RATMMer get
>: into? I know Zappa holds a place near and dear to the Brains, and I've
>: seen Thomas Dolby and XTC refs here, as well as old blues stuff...
>: My faves are Television Personalities, Ween, Nick Cave, Eno, The Bevis
>: Frond, etc...
>

>Ministry, Skinny Puppy, My Life with the Thrill Kill Kult, Front Line
>Assembly, Biohazard, Sick of It All, Fudge Tunnel, Zeni Geva, Midnight
>Oil, October Project, Orb, Orbital, Vapourspace, Reverand Horton Heat,

>Negativland, Tangerine Dream, Christopher Franke, Brian Eno, Klaus

>Schulze, Frank Zappa, Steve Roach, Harold Budd, Sepultura, Wavestar,
>Dead Can Dance, Peter Gabriel, and Jean Michel Jarre to name a few. (:

You know, I recognize maybe four of these names... I am so un-hip that
it's not even funny.

*shrugs and pops Grieg's 'Peer Gynt Suite' into the CD player*

Oh well.

Perri
but I named one of my cats after a line in a Peter Gabriel song, do I get
some credit? :)

coas...@mnsinc.com "Pancakes! Oh, I screwed up."

Mike Sphar

Aug 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/20/96

Spork The Mango Weasel (sp...@frodo.com) wrote:
>: Due to sheer curiosuty, sheer boredom, sheer music geekitude, and the need
>: to start another flamewar, what kinda music does the average RATMMer get
>: into? I know Zappa holds a place near and dear to the Brains, and I've
>: seen Thomas Dolby and XTC refs here, as well as old blues stuff...
>: My faves are Television Personalities, Ween, Nick Cave, Eno, The Bevis
>: Frond, etc...

I'm extremely finicky, and rarely have more than 4 or 5 favorite
bands/musicians at a time. For me, the lords of music are (in no particular
order):
Webb Wilder
Oingo Boingo
The Young Dubliners
The Toy Dolls

Up and coming:
Po (largely because I've seen them live and the guy that plays the
electric cello is really cool)

--
Mikey "Dreamy" Sphar (The Artist Formerly known as Mikey Inglis)
Aww, poor little crazed fiend . . .

Steve Loubert

Aug 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/20/96

In article <splat-18089...@news.coil.com>,

sp...@frodo.com (Spork The Mango Weasel) wrote:
>Due to sheer curiosuty, sheer boredom, sheer music geekitude, and the need
>to start another flamewar, what kinda music does the average RATMMer get
>into? I know Zappa holds a place near and dear to the Brains, and I've
>seen Thomas Dolby and XTC refs here, as well as old blues stuff...
>
>My faves are Television Personalities, Ween, Nick Cave, Eno, The Bevis
>Frond, etc...
>
>I think Neuron just might be a Fabio fan.
>
>Or at least Michael Bolton.
>
>Chad "I really, really need a hobby" Van Wagner

Wire, Nine Inch Nails, Rage Against the Machine, Portishead, P. J. Harvey,
Spiritualized, Alice in Chains, A Positive Life, Tricky, Beatles, Pere Ubu,
Joy Division, Soul Coughing, Fear Factory, Television, Julian Cope,
Sex Pistols, Captain Beefheart

That sort of thing...

Steve Loubert, sheer music geek

Soundwave [Chad Gould]

Aug 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/20/96

[...]

Chad Gould aka Soundwave (not Gently) |-X5/D50/DX27/1202/Juno106/TX16W-|
internet: cgo...@gate.net (ISDN #1134) |"Dirty pool old man, I like it!"|
Scanning and web author services avail. |Make Happy the Harmonica Happy!!|
http://www.webcom.com/cgould/ - MST3K,MIDI,pinball,ambient/emusic,andmore

Joe McMahon

Aug 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/20/96

Soundwave [Chad Gould] <cgo...@gate.net> wrote:
>Ministry, Skinny Puppy, My Life with the Thrill Kill Kult, Front Line
>Assembly, Biohazard, Sick of It All, Fudge Tunnel, Zeni Geva, Midnight
>Oil, October Project, Orb, Orbital, Vapourspace, Reverand Horton Heat,
>Negativland, Tangerine Dream, Christopher Franke, Brian Eno, Klaus
>Schulze, Frank Zappa, Steve Roach, Harold Budd, Sepultura, Wavestar,
>Dead Can Dance, Peter Gabriel, and Jean Michel Jarre to name a few. (:

What, no Team Metlay? :)

We tried to get permission to sample "Whaddya think, sirs?" for the
last TM album, but Jim say no. :/

--- Joe M.
--
--++-- --++-- --++-- --++-- --++-- --++-- --++-- --++-- --++-- --++--
"When Brian Eno ruled Chicago..." - MST3K, "Beginning of the End"

Christine Malcom

Aug 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/20/96

Sheryl Gere <she...@acpub.duke.edu> wrote:
>Fleetwood Mac, Joan Jett and the Blackhearts, They Might Be Giants,
>"Weird" Al Yancovic, Tom Lehrer, Christine Lavin, Stevie Nicks,
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

>Tom Petty, Bruce Springsteen, Pink Floyd, Tori Amos(well, at least
>the first album and some of the second)
>(Yes, i tend to listen to "classic rock" radio)

Dammit, Sheryl, you're the first person who's posted people I even *recognize*
and I happen to like almost all of the same. I need for you to marry me.

Christine Malcom-Department of Anthropology (cm...@kimbark.uchicago.edu)
Indestructible Gouda Llama Woman was really lost when she hit Christine Lavin
"You're the only one who understands me, moldy corpse." Kevin Mowery

Spork The Mango Weasel

Aug 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/20/96

Okay...time to get anal...

In article <4vbk4m$b...@netnews.upenn.edu>, bk...@mail1.sas.upenn.edu
(Whippingboy) wrote:

> Oh, let's see...Abba, Autechre, France Gall, Francoise Hardy, Serge
> Gainsbourg

...Serge or Mick Harvey as Serge? Clock is ticking...

> Kraftwerk, Low, Magnetic Fields, the Ramones, the Zombies,
> the Yardbirds, Juliette Greco, Spacemen 3/Spiritualized/Spectrum/EAR, My
> Bloody Valentine, Rollerskate Skinny, Scorn, Main, the Would-Be-Goods,
> the Cocteau Twins, His Name Is Alive, Lalo Schifrin, Henry Mancini, Patsy
> Cline, the Smiths, Mazzy Star, Orb, Stereolab, Techno Animal, Thee
> Headcoatees, Holly Golightly

Hey! Another Billy Childish fan!

> Blossom Dearie, Lida Husik, Blur, Beastie
> Boys, Brujeria, Connie Francis, Les Paul & Mary Ford, Kruder &
> Dorfmeister, the Mad Professor, Laika, Heavenly

...R.I.P. (sob)

> Dolly Mixture, Tangerine
> Dream, This Mortal Coil, the Beatles, the Ronettes, the Field Mice

...from the sadly defunct Sarah label.

Still got my St. Christopher 7", though...

> the
> Ramones, Man or Astroman?, Shadowy Men On A Shadowy Planet, Labradford

BTW, I've got "A Stable Reference." Are the others any good?
,
> the Jon Spencer Blues Explosion, the Fall, the Beatles, New Order, Joy
> Division, Perrey-Kingsley...
>
> ...whew! Was it as good for you as it was for me?
>
> Oh, wait a minute. That was masturbation.

That's okay. We can just cuddle...

> --Xavier

Chad "Er...wait a minute. You're a guy..." Van Wagner

Whippingboy

Aug 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/20/96

: (Whippingboy) wrote:

: > Oh, let's see...Abba, Autechre, France Gall, Francoise Hardy, Serge
: > Gainsbourg

: ...Serge or Mick Harvey as Serge? Clock is ticking...

Definitely Serge as Serge. Mick's Ok too, I had to get his album in
appreciation of his good intentions....but to slow "Lemon Incest" down
into a spare piano ballad by himself is wrong, wrong, wrong. Where is
the pedophilia? Where is the love?

: > Kraftwerk, Low, Magnetic Fields, the Ramones, the Zombies,

: > the Yardbirds, Juliette Greco, Spacemen 3/Spiritualized/Spectrum/EAR, My
: > Bloody Valentine, Rollerskate Skinny, Scorn, Main, the Would-Be-Goods,
: > the Cocteau Twins, His Name Is Alive, Lalo Schifrin, Henry Mancini, Patsy
: > Cline, the Smiths, Mazzy Star, Orb, Stereolab, Techno Animal, Thee
: > Headcoatees, Holly Golightly

: Hey! Another Billy Childish fan!

Well...I don't know if I'm technically a Billy Childish fan as you can
see, I did not list his nine million other bands as favorites of mine...

: > Blossom Dearie, Lida Husik, Blur, Beastie

: > Boys, Brujeria, Connie Francis, Les Paul & Mary Ford, Kruder &
: > Dorfmeister, the Mad Professor, Laika, Heavenly

: ...R.I.P. (sob)

Well, they are releasing another single...and the album will soon be
out...so in terms of output they're not dead yet by a long shot.

: > Dolly Mixture, Tangerine

: > Dream, This Mortal Coil, the Beatles, the Ronettes, the Field Mice

: ...from the sadly defunct Sarah label.

Indeed, the defunct Field Mice as well...

: Still got my St. Christopher 7", though...

: > the
: > Ramones, Man or Astroman?, Shadowy Men On A Shadowy Planet, Labradford

: BTW, I've got "A Stable Reference." Are the others any good?

Honestly, I've only got that one too, but I think it's amazing...it
completely sates my desire for feeling like I'm drowning in a big dark ocean.

--Xavier
_____________________________________ ____________________________________
\ Benjamin Xavier Kim \/ Clock Strikes Thirteen site /
\ [bk...@mail.sas.upenn.edu] [http://www.sas.upenn.edu/~bkim0] /
\ /
> "Kill my boy." <
/ \
/ --the Simpsons \
/____________________________________/\___________________________________\

Spork The Mango Weasel

Aug 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/20/96

In article <coastcat-200...@news1.mnsinc.com>,
coas...@mnsinc.com (Perri Mongan) wrote:

> Perri
> but I named one of my cats after a line in a Peter Gabriel song, do I get
> some credit? :)

...and that would be?

Chad "Like I should talk, I named my cat after Donna Reed" Van Wagner

Sheryl Gere

Aug 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/20/96

In article <DwGGz...@midway.uchicago.edu>,

Christine Malcom <cm...@midway.uchicago.edu> wrote:
>Sheryl Gere <she...@acpub.duke.edu> wrote:
>>Fleetwood Mac, Joan Jett and the Blackhearts, They Might Be Giants,
>>"Weird" Al Yancovic, Tom Lehrer, Christine Lavin, Stevie Nicks,
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
>>Tom Petty, Bruce Springsteen, Pink Floyd, Tori Amos(well, at least
>>the first album and some of the second)
>>(Yes, i tend to listen to "classic rock" radio)
>
>Dammit, Sheryl, you're the first person who's posted people I even *recognize*
>and I happen to like almost all of the same. I need for you to marry me.

Wow, my first ratmm proposal...and only 9 days before the con.

Yes, Christine, if you don't mind marrying a somewhat insecure
lab tech with a fetish for funky earrings

(Now if I could only get to see Christine Lavin in concert...she
never plays around here)

Sheryl(MSTie#12802, who didn't recognize most of the folks on the
earlier lists either)

nicklby

Aug 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/20/96

cm...@midway.uchicago.edu (Christine Malcom) wrote:

>Sheryl Gere <she...@acpub.duke.edu> wrote:
>>Fleetwood Mac, Joan Jett and the Blackhearts, They Might Be Giants,
>>"Weird" Al Yancovic, Tom Lehrer, Christine Lavin, Stevie Nicks,
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

>>Tom Petty, Bruce Springsteen, Pink Floyd, Tori Amos(well, at least
>>the first album and some of the second)
>>(Yes, i tend to listen to "classic rock" radio)

>Dammit, Sheryl, you're the first person who's posted people I even *recognize*
>and I happen to like almost all of the same. I need for you to marry me.

Would you two be adverse to a third party in your cannubial bliss?

nicklby
but if the marriage doesn't work out,
all I ask is that I get to keep my Lehrer LPs.

"If only life were like this."
-- Alvy Singer in "Annie Hall"
nic...@primenet.com

MSTie No. 66444
without a home page
to call my own

Whippingboy

Aug 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/20/96

Oh, let's see...Abba, Autechre, France Gall, Francoise Hardy, Serge
Gainsbourg, Kraftwerk, Low, Magnetic Fields, the Ramones, the Zombies,
the Yardbirds, Juliette Greco, Spacemen 3/Spiritualized/Spectrum/EAR, My
Bloody Valentine, Rollerskate Skinny, Scorn, Main, the Would-Be-Goods,
the Cocteau Twins, His Name Is Alive, Lalo Schifrin, Henry Mancini, Patsy
Cline, the Smiths, Mazzy Star, Orb, Stereolab, Techno Animal, Thee
Headcoatees, Holly Golightly, Blossom Dearie, Lida Husik, Blur, Beastie
Boys, Brujeria, Connie Francis, Les Paul & Mary Ford, Kruder &
Dorfmeister, the Mad Professor, Laika, Heavenly, Dolly Mixture, Tangerine
Dream, This Mortal Coil, the Beatles, the Ronettes, the Field Mice, the
Ramones, Man or Astroman?, Shadowy Men On A Shadowy Planet, Labradford,
the Jon Spencer Blues Explosion, the Fall, the Beatles, New Order, Joy
Division, Perrey-Kingsley...

...whew! Was it as good for you as it was for me?

Oh, wait a minute. That was masturbation.

--Xavier

_____________________________________ ____________________________________
\ Benjamin Xavier Kim \/ Clock Strikes Thirteen site /
\ [bk...@mail.sas.upenn.edu] [http://www.sas.upenn.edu/~bkim0] /
\ /

> "I am the angel of death. The time of purification is at hand." <

Sheryl Gere

Aug 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/20/96

In article <4vcfgm$f...@news.mr.net>, Steve Loubert <ste...@comtrol.com> wrote:
>In article <splat-18089...@news.coil.com>,
> sp...@frodo.com (Spork The Mango Weasel) wrote:
>>Due to sheer curiosuty, sheer boredom, sheer music geekitude, and the need
>>to start another flamewar, what kinda music does the average RATMMer get
>>into? I know Zappa holds a place near and dear to the Brains, and I've
>>seen Thomas Dolby and XTC refs here, as well as old blues stuff...
>>
>>My faves are Television Personalities, Ween, Nick Cave, Eno, The Bevis
>>Frond, etc...
>>
>>I think Neuron just might be a Fabio fan.
>>
>>Or at least Michael Bolton.
>>
>>Chad "I really, really need a hobby" Van Wagner
>>
>Wire, Nine Inch Nails, Rage Against the Machine, Portishead, P. J. Harvey,
>Spiritualized, Alice in Chains, A Positive Life, Tricky, Beatles, Pere Ubu,
>Joy Division, Soul Coughing, Fear Factory, Television, Julian Cope,
>Sex Pistols, Captain Beefheart

And now for something a little more mainstream...

Fleetwood Mac, Joan Jett and the Blackhearts, They Might Be Giants,
"Weird" Al Yancovic, Tom Lehrer, Christine Lavin, Stevie Nicks,

Tom Petty, Bruce Springsteen, Pink Floyd, Tori Amos(well, at least
the first album and some of the second)

Not to mention a whole bunch of filk artists...

(Yes, i tend to listen to "classic rock" radio)

Sheryl(MSTie#12802)

Mike Cinpinski

Aug 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/20/96

<sorry, attribution lost to sheer confusion>

>Due to sheer curiosuty, sheer boredom, sheer music geekitude, and the need
>to start another flamewar, what kinda music does the average RATMMer get
>into?

I like a multitude of music styles (mostly alternative):
Nine Inch Nails, Van Halen, AC/DC, Bush, Greenday, Stone Temple Pilots,
Everclear, The Toadies, The Nixons, The Presidents, Rage Against the Machine,
Silverchair, AC/DC, and a couple more I can't think of right now.
--
Mike Cinpinski ..
MSTie #71453 @$> 4$$k R~4H

Mike Cinpinski

Aug 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/21/96

John Crowe wrote:

> coas...@mnsinc.com (Perri Mongan) wrote:
>
> >Perri
> >but I named one of my cats after a line in a Peter Gabriel song, do I get
> >some credit? :)
>
> Biko?
> Sledgehammer?
> Wormshake?
> Unsheltered Place?
> Shaking the Tree?
> Solsbury?
> Blood of Eden?
> Us?
> So?
> I Don't Remember?
> I Don't Recall?
> I've Got No Memory of Anything At All?
>
> Brock LaReau: a loooonely boy hiding behind the front door...
Shock the Monkey?

Brian Dunkle

Aug 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/21/96

In article <4ve4es$9...@sjx-ixn6.ix.netcom.com>,

John Crowe <jcro...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
>coas...@mnsinc.com (Perri Mongan) wrote:
>
>>Perri
>>but I named one of my cats after a line in a Peter Gabriel song, do I get
>>some credit? :)
>

>Biko?
>Sledgehammer?
>Wormshake?
>Unsheltered Place?
>Shaking the Tree?
>Solsbury?
>Blood of Eden?
>Us?
>So?
>I Don't Remember?
>I Don't Recall?
>I've Got No Memory of Anything At All?
>
>Brock LaReau: a loooonely boy hiding behind the front door...

My vote is for Moribund the Burgermeister.

Brian, or maybe "Excuse Me", which would lead to a lot of jokes like the
ones about "a dog named Sex", which is he most-reproduced stupid joke
story on the 'Net - look it up at any search engine!
--
* Brian Dunkle * Comp. Sys. Manager; general computer guy, networks 'n' stuff
* Division of Biomedical Communications, AHSC, Tucson AZ (much too hot)

The Evil Sam Graham

Aug 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/21/96

Let's face it...We're all closet Kiss fans, and we'll never admit it.
--
The Evil Sam Graham
http://members.gnn.com/theevilsam

Christine Malcom

Aug 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/21/96

John Crowe <jcro...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
>coas...@mnsinc.com (Perri Mongan) wrote:
>>but I named one of my cats after a line in a Peter Gabriel song, do I get
>>some credit? :)
>
>Biko?
>Sledgehammer?
>Wormshake?
>Unsheltered Place?
>Shaking the Tree?
>Solsbury?
>Blood of Eden?
>Us?
>So?
>I Don't Remember?
>I Don't Recall?
>I've Got No Memory of Anything At All?

Hans? Lottie? Jane? Willie? Suki? Leo? Sasha? Brit? Adolf? Enrico?
Andre? Chian Ching? Lin Tai Yu?

Christine Malcom-Department of Anthropology (cm...@kimbark.uchicago.edu)

Indestructible Gouda Llama Woman out in the garden, back by the roses

"You're the only one who understands me, moldy corpse." Kevin Mowery

--
Q at USC

John Crowe

Aug 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/21/96

coas...@mnsinc.com (Perri Mongan) wrote:

>Perri

>but I named one of my cats after a line in a Peter Gabriel song, do I get
>some credit? :)

Biko?
Sledgehammer?
Wormshake?
Unsheltered Place?
Shaking the Tree?
Solsbury?
Blood of Eden?
Us?
So?
I Don't Remember?
I Don't Recall?
I've Got No Memory of Anything At All?

Brock LaReau: a loooonely boy hiding behind the front door...

Katherine L. Harris

Aug 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/21/96

cm...@midway.uchicago.edu (Christine Malcom) wrote:

>Sheryl Gere <she...@acpub.duke.edu> wrote:
>>Fleetwood Mac, Joan Jett and the Blackhearts, They Might Be Giants,
>>"Weird" Al Yancovic, Tom Lehrer, Christine Lavin, Stevie Nicks,

> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

>>Tom Petty, Bruce Springsteen, Pink Floyd, Tori Amos(well, at least
>>the first album and some of the second)

>>(Yes, i tend to listen to "classic rock" radio)

>Dammit, Sheryl, you're the first person who's posted people I even *recognize*

>and I happen to like almost all of the same. I need for you to marry me.

I like them too! Wanna make it a three?

Katie "Maybe I'll just borrow the records..."

Archibald W. Campbell

Aug 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/21/96

Here's a partial list (in no particular order):

Soundgarden, Laurie Anderson, King Crimson, (The Immortal) Frank
Zappa, Bonnie Raitt, Archers Of Loaf, PJ Harvey, Robert Cray, James
McMurtry, King's X, Loop, WIRE, Crowded House, Neil Young (only the
loud electric albums), Band Of Susans, Minutemen, Philip Glass, Kronos
Quartet, and Kate Bush.

Perri Mongan

Aug 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/21/96

In article <4ve4es$9...@sjx-ixn6.ix.netcom.com>, jcro...@ix.netcom.com
(John Crowe) wrote:

>coas...@mnsinc.com (Perri Mongan) wrote:
>
>>Perri
>>but I named one of my cats after a line in a Peter Gabriel song, do I get
>>some credit? :)
>

>Biko?
>Sledgehammer?
>Wormshake?
>Unsheltered Place?
>Shaking the Tree?
>Solsbury?
>Blood of Eden?
>Us?
>So?
>I Don't Remember?
>I Don't Recall?
>I've Got No Memory of Anything At All?

That's a lot of cats. I never want to buy that much Scoop Away.

My youngest kitty was officially registered as, for a number of reasons,
Colombe's Jeux Sans Frontieres. Translate "jeux sans frontieres" and you
know which song it is. :)

Perri
you've got the money back, that's okay, who needs a Cadillac anyway?

Joe McMahon

Aug 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/21/96

In article <4vdnme$15...@news.gate.net>,

Soundwave [Chad Gould] <cgo...@gate.net> wrote:
>Actually, with all of the cult movie lovers/users in industrial (Heck,
>Ministry built an entire song around the Ed Wood-written film "The
>Violent Years"), I'm surprised no MST3K samples have turned up. Usually
>the obvious samples don't appear, but still....

It's those ninjas.

--- Joe M., respecting copyrights

Shelby A. Forsyth

Aug 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/21/96

> Due to sheer curiosuty, sheer boredom, sheer music geekitude, and the need
> to start another flamewar, what kinda music does the average RATMMer get
> into? I know Zappa holds a place near and dear to the Brains, and I've
> seen Thomas Dolby and XTC refs here, as well as old blues stuff...
>
> My faves are Television Personalities, Ween, Nick Cave, Eno, The Bevis
> Frond, etc...
>
> I think Neuron just might be a Fabio fan.
>
> Or at least Michael Bolton.
>
> Chad "I really, really need a hobby" Van Wagner
>
> --
> "Seriousness Is Stupidity Sent To College." -P.J. O'Rourke
> "Stare At My Butt" -My Cats
> "Kiss The Bird Dick" -Joel, "Bride Of The Monster"

Well at this very moment I'm listening to REM's "Murmur". Other tapes
I have nearby are -

Aretha Franklin
Marvin Gaye
The Chi-Lites
The Red Hot Chili Peppers
Randy Travis
"Desperado" Soundtrack
Frank Sinatra
Miles Davis
Alice in Chains
ABBA
KC and the Sunshine Band

Make of that what you will.

--Shelby MSTie #21778 (Hotchka @aol.co.)
Shakin' through...

Spork The Mango Weasel

Aug 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/21/96

In article <4vdbj6$8...@netnews.upenn.edu>, bk...@mail1.sas.upenn.edu
(Whippingboy) wrote:

(Stuff about Mick Harvey covering Serge Gainsborough snipped)

> Definitely Serge as Serge. Mick's Ok too, I had to get his album in
> appreciation of his good intentions....but to slow "Lemon Incest" down
> into a spare piano ballad by himself is wrong, wrong, wrong. Where is
> the pedophilia? Where is the love?

Where is a sammich? I'm Mitchelling bigtime (skipped dinner, you know....)

Yeah, but I played that friggin' CD OVER and OVER and OVER and OVER...

Nick Cave geek from way back...the new Barry Adamson's nice, too...

> : Hey! Another Billy Childish fan!
>
> Well...I don't know if I'm technically a Billy Childish fan as you can
> see, I did not list his nine million other bands as favorites of mine...

Good point. I suppose you'd just put:

Thee *.

Speaking of Holly, whaddya think of Thee Headcoatees? I suppose they
count, in a weird kinda way...

> : > Blossom Dearie, Lida Husik, Blur, Beastie

> : > Boys, Brujeria, Connie Francis, Les Paul & Mary Ford, Kruder &

> : > Dorfmeister, the Mad Professor, Laika, Heavenly
>
> : ...R.I.P. (sob)
>
> Well, they are releasing another single...and the album will soon be
> out...so in terms of output they're not dead yet by a long shot.

Well, actually, I was referring to the drummer who, tragically, committed
suicide not long ago.

(Labradford stuff snipped)

> Honestly, I've only got that one too, but I think it's amazing...it
> completely sates my desire for feeling like I'm drowning in a big dark ocean.

Heard Flying Saucer Attack? (Also, R.I.P, although no one has committed
suicide.) Kinda like if you took ASR and removed the acoustic guitar and
turned up the tape hiss REALLY LOUD...

Nicer than it sounds...

Jeffrey Johnson

Aug 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/21/96

On 21 Aug 1996, jnevins wrote:

> clm...@usa.pipeline.com (CLMoon) writes:
>
> ><sorry, attribution lost to sheer confusion>

> >>Due to sheer curiosuty, sheer boredom, sheer music geekitude, and the need
> >>to start another flamewar, what kinda music does the average RATMMer get
> >>into?
>

> why, the music of the spheres, of course.
>
> jess, whose musical tastes are too long to be listed here

So we don't have a list of Jess' musical tastes...but if that's a
reference to 'The Analog Kid', I'm sure that they're well founded...

JSJ1TG, pulling down his baseball cap and covering up his eyes...

jnevins

Aug 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/21/96

Mike Czaplinski

Aug 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/21/96

sp...@frodo.com (Spork The Mango Weasel) wrote:

> Due to sheer curiosuty, sheer boredom, sheer music geekitude, and the need
> to start another flamewar, what kinda music does the average RATMMer get
> into? I know Zappa holds a place near and dear to the Brains, and I've
> seen Thomas Dolby and XTC refs here, as well as old blues stuff...
>
> My faves are Television Personalities, Ween, Nick Cave, Eno, The Bevis
> Frond, etc...
>
> I think Neuron just might be a Fabio fan.
>
> Or at least Michael Bolton.
>
> Chad "I really, really need a hobby" Van Wagner

FWIW:
The Smithereens
Sisters of Mercy
Adam Ant
Todd Rundgren
Bryan Ferry

Mike "Among Others...." Czaplinski
mike.cz...@washingtondc.ncr.com

Carl D. Burke

Aug 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/21/96

CLMoon wrote:

> <sorry, attribution lost to sheer confusion>
> >Due to sheer curiosuty, sheer boredom, sheer music geekitude, and the need
> >to start another flamewar, what kinda music does the average RATMMer get
> >into?
>
> Stevie Nicks, Stan Ridgway, Sisters of Mercy, The Cure,
> Siouxsie and the Banshees, Sex Pistols, Niagara,
> X Ray Spex, Tripping Daisy, Red Lorry Yellow Lorry,
> Robin Trower, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Led Zeppelin, Van Halen,
> AC/DC, Aerosmith, Tania Maria, Cameo, Rick James,
> Gladys Knight, Gap Band, Peter Gabriel, Genesis pre-74,
> Kate Bush, Yes, ELP, Rush, Soundgarden, Jane's Addiction,
> Girlschool, The Runaways, Junkyard, Psychedelic Furs,
> Blondie, Bad Company, Deep Purple, Ozzy Osbourne.

Oh, man. Toss in Devo, B-52's and Talking Heads
and I'll marry you. I'll get my wife to understand somehow.
Oh, don't forget the Who, Alice in Chains, Kraftwerk,
Godley & Creme, Bjork... on second thought, wedding's off.
Sorry about the mix-up.

--
Barcode, mmmmmm, Bjork...

nicklby

Aug 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/21/96

Jeffrey Johnson <ez04...@peseta.ucdavis.edu> wrote:

>On 21 Aug 1996, Shelby A. Forsyth wrote:

>> Well at this very moment I'm listening to REM's "Murmur". Other tapes
>> I have nearby are -
>>
>> Aretha Franklin
>> Marvin Gaye
>> The Chi-Lites
>> The Red Hot Chili Peppers
>> Randy Travis
>> "Desperado" Soundtrack
>> Frank Sinatra
>> Miles Davis
>> Alice in Chains
>> ABBA
>> KC and the Sunshine Band
>>
>> Make of that what you will.

Oooh, a challenge!

Aretha Franklin's soul's reigning pearl
Marvin Gaye was shot by his dad
The Chi-lites sang the hit "Oh Girl"
The Chili Peppers ain't that bad

Randy Travis sings a country tune
That's not in "Desperado"
Sinatra sings "Fly Me to the Moon"
Boy, Miles knew how to blow

Alice in Chains play real loud
ABBA had a guy named Bjorn
KC's mother must be proud
The heck with this ... where's the porn?

nicklby
too much time on my hands ...

Soundwave [Chad Gould]

Brian MacDonald

Aug 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/21/96

Aaah, so bands I could do without
(sorry for the David Spade type commentaries):

Hootie and the Blowfish:
Gee, our sophomore album was a commercial letdown. Let's blame
the bootleggers, shutdown all the east coast warehouses, and go
after those pesky tape traders. It's THEIR fault!

Rage Against The Machine:
Sorry, the revolution will not be sponsored by Sony records

80's Beach Boys:
You know, I tried REALLY hard to think of possible bad side effects
of the death of Mike Love. I thought of one: we couldn't make jokes
about how we wanted to kill Mike Love.
(Contrastly, I think all previous Beach Boys material is some of the
best music ever made)

Better Than Ezra Van Gogh's Letters To Cleo's Daughter:
Hmmmm, how about more arty lens flares in our Buzz clip videos? We
don't think that's an overused effect.

Front Line Assembly:
Keeping "industrial" music in 1989.

Loop Guru:
What happens when a Videopolis side attraction at Disneyland
gets a recording contract to do a techno album.

There are actually more groups out there that I care even less for...
And of course, strictly my opinion

Brian MacDonald <bri...@kuci.uci.edu>
KUCI 88.9 fM in Irvine, CA -- Orange County
Deacon of the holy Internet/WWW/Listserv trinity
"It makes me feel like I'm in a toilet paper
rehab clinic for Loraina Bobbitt's plumber..."

Sheryl Gere

Aug 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/21/96

In article <4ve765$o...@nnrp1.news.primenet.com>,

nicklby <nic...@primenet.com> wrote:
>cm...@midway.uchicago.edu (Christine Malcom) wrote:
>
>>Sheryl Gere <she...@acpub.duke.edu> wrote:
>>>Fleetwood Mac, Joan Jett and the Blackhearts, They Might Be Giants,
>>>"Weird" Al Yancovic, Tom Lehrer, Christine Lavin, Stevie Nicks,
>> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
>>>Tom Petty, Bruce Springsteen, Pink Floyd, Tori Amos(well, at least
>>>the first album and some of the second)
>>>(Yes, i tend to listen to "classic rock" radio)
>
>>Dammit, Sheryl, you're the first person who's posted people I even *recognize*
>>and I happen to like almost all of the same. I need for you to marry me.
>
>Would you two be adverse to a third party in your cannubial bliss?

I don't know about Christine, but I have no problems with a
third person....

>nicklby
>but if the marriage doesn't work out,
>all I ask is that I get to keep my Lehrer LPs.

You have lehrer LPs?
All I have are the three CDs that are available
Oh, and a tape of who-knows-what I got from a guy
I was dating at the time.
(But he didn't get it from Agnes<g>)

(It pays to delurk, I guess)

Sheryl(MSTie#12802)

Sheryl Gere

Aug 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/21/96

In article <4ve9p5$6...@epx.cis.umn.edu>,

Katherine L. Harris <Art...@aol.com> wrote:
>cm...@midway.uchicago.edu (Christine Malcom) wrote:
>
>>Sheryl Gere <she...@acpub.duke.edu> wrote:
>>>Fleetwood Mac, Joan Jett and the Blackhearts, They Might Be Giants,
>>>"Weird" Al Yancovic, Tom Lehrer, Christine Lavin, Stevie Nicks,
>> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
>>>Tom Petty, Bruce Springsteen, Pink Floyd, Tori Amos(well, at least
>>>the first album and some of the second)
>>>(Yes, i tend to listen to "classic rock" radio)
>
>>Dammit, Sheryl, you're the first person who's posted people I even *recognize*
>>and I happen to like almost all of the same. I need for you to marry me.
>
>I like them too! Wanna make it a three?

Hmmm, this is turning into a group thing....
Not that there's anything wrong with that<g>

(I need more Christine Lavin records...only have three, including
one of the Bitchin' babes albums)

Sheryl(MSTie#12802)

Whippingboy

Aug 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/21/96

il.com>:

Spork The Mango Weasel (sp...@frodo.com) wrote:
: > : Hey! Another Billy Childish fan!

: >
: > Well...I don't know if I'm technically a Billy Childish fan as you can
: > see, I did not list his nine million other bands as favorites of mine...

: Good point. I suppose you'd just put:

: Thee *.

: Speaking of Holly, whaddya think of Thee Headcoatees? I suppose they
: count, in a weird kinda way...

Actually I listed only Thee Headcoatees, the Delmonas and Holly Golightly
as my favorite Billy-related projects...what can I say, when girls rock,
it's highly arousing.

: > : > Dorfmeister, the Mad Professor, Laika, Heavenly

: >
: > : ...R.I.P. (sob)
: >
: > Well, they are releasing another single...and the album will soon be
: > out...so in terms of output they're not dead yet by a long shot.

: Well, actually, I was referring to the drummer who, tragically, committed
: suicide not long ago.

Yes, I know...but the band is still going to be releasing things so fear
not gentle listener...the music will live on.

: Heard Flying Saucer Attack? (Also, R.I.P, although no one has committed

: suicide.) Kinda like if you took ASR and removed the acoustic guitar and
: turned up the tape hiss REALLY LOUD...

Actually, there is no acoustic guitar on "A Stable Reference" (and there
is an interview in the latest Guitar Player (!) verifying this)...and I
have heard FSA...kind of too fuzzy and lofi for me to take seriously.
But that's just me. Now, Third Eye Foundation I like.

--X.

_____________________________________ ____________________________________
\ Benjamin Xavier Kim \/ Clock Strikes Thirteen site /
\ [bk...@mail.sas.upenn.edu] [http://www.sas.upenn.edu/~bkim0] /
\ /

> "Kill my boy." <

Michael Warner

Aug 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/21/96

Okay, I've got a similar question. What kind of music do y'all absolutely
hate? I ask this because the PA speakers at work play this station out of
Toledo that specializes in, I believe, "soft hits." I did not make that
up. This encompasses all manner of mind-numbingly cheesy acts such as,
but not limited to, Boyz II Men, Jon Secada, Gloria Estefan, Amy Grant,
Mariah Carey, Whitney Houston, that guy that sings about how "Jessie
paints a picture", and the dreaded Michael Bolton. By the end of the day,
I have to come home and take a nap.

-Michael
(Dragging my butt back to work now.)

----
mwa...@cass.net
Blissfield, MI
"I met her on a Monday and my heart did nothing new... Seems she thought
of me as some mystic, fatalistic, mystical guru... Me, I haven't got a
clue..." - Tears For Fears, "Cold"

Jeffrey Johnson

Aug 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/21/96

On 21 Aug 1996, Shelby A. Forsyth wrote:

> Well at this very moment I'm listening to REM's "Murmur". Other tapes
> I have nearby are -
>
> Aretha Franklin
> Marvin Gaye
> The Chi-Lites
> The Red Hot Chili Peppers
> Randy Travis
> "Desperado" Soundtrack
> Frank Sinatra
> Miles Davis
> Alice in Chains
> ABBA
> KC and the Sunshine Band
>
> Make of that what you will.
>

> --Shelby MSTie #21778 (Hotchka @aol.co.)
> Shakin' through...

Wow! You said 'tapes'! So my question is, how did you get a computer in
your car?!?

JSJ1TG, who had a long string of questions, but decided to keep it short
and sweet. Less diversion.

Soundwave [Chad Gould]

Aug 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/21/96

Perri Mongan (coas...@mnsinc.com) wrote:

: In article <4vb5to$e...@news.gate.net>, cgo...@gate.net wrote:
: >Ministry, Skinny Puppy, My Life with the Thrill Kill Kult, Front Line
: >Assembly, Biohazard, Sick of It All, Fudge Tunnel, Zeni Geva, Midnight
: >Oil, October Project, Orb, Orbital, Vapourspace, Reverand Horton Heat,
: >Negativland, Tangerine Dream, Christopher Franke, Brian Eno, Klaus
: >Schulze, Frank Zappa, Steve Roach, Harold Budd, Sepultura, Wavestar,
: >Dead Can Dance, Peter Gabriel, and Jean Michel Jarre to name a few. (:
: You know, I recognize maybe four of these names... I am so un-hip that
: it's not even funny.

Well, I wouldn't expect most people to recognize too many of those
names... A few of them (Zeni Geva and Negitivland) are VERY obscure, and
some are only familiar if you are into noisy hard stuff or stuff with
lots of synthesizer bleeps and drones.

: Perri

: but I named one of my cats after a line in a Peter Gabriel song, do I get
: some credit? :)

You named a cat "Sledgehammer"?

-sw- [That would be cool in more ways than one]

CLMoon

Aug 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/21/96

<sorry, attribution lost to sheer confusion>
>Due to sheer curiosuty, sheer boredom, sheer music geekitude, and the need
>to start another flamewar, what kinda music does the average RATMMer get
>into?

Stevie Nicks, Stan Ridgway, Sisters of Mercy, The Cure,
Siouxsie and the Banshees, Sex Pistols, Niagara,
X Ray Spex, Tripping Daisy, Red Lorry Yellow Lorry,
Robin Trower, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Led Zeppelin, Van Halen,
AC/DC, Aerosmith, Tania Maria, Cameo, Rick James,
Gladys Knight, Gap Band, Peter Gabriel, Genesis pre-74,
Kate Bush, Yes, ELP, Rush, Soundgarden, Jane's Addiction,
Girlschool, The Runaways, Junkyard, Psychedelic Furs,
Blondie, Bad Company, Deep Purple, Ozzy Osbourne.

--
CLMoon MSTie 30205

Spork The Mango Weasel

Aug 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/22/96

In article <4viu9l$1f...@news.gate.net>, cgo...@gate.net wrote:

> Hey! Don't knock Oingo Boingo! (:

Y'know, Soundwave, the more I read about you, the more I like.

Too bad I'm not gay...er...scratch that.

Chad "Without friction there's no heat/without heat there can't be
fire..." Van Wagner

Mike Cinpinski

Aug 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/22/96

Michael Warner wrote:

> Okay, I've got a similar question. What kind of music do y'all absolutely
> hate? I ask this because the PA speakers at work play this station out of
> Toledo that specializes in, I believe, "soft hits." I did not make that
> up. This encompasses all manner of mind-numbingly cheesy acts such as,
> but not limited to, Boyz II Men, Jon Secada, Gloria Estefan, Amy Grant,
> Mariah Carey, Whitney Houston, that guy that sings about how "Jessie
> paints a picture", and the dreaded Michael Bolton. By the end of the day,
> I have to come home and take a nap.

I hate all those groups. I hate soft hits and country as well as
anything from the 80s except Van Halen.
--
Mike Cinpinski ..
MSTie #71453 @$> 4$$k R~4H
crow...@execpc.com '$ `$$F $$P
$$$ .W$$NL "B
ueWeu. z@$$$WL :@$$$Nx $$$$Nu<$$$$$$$$Lo@$$$Ni s
$$$$$$k$$$$$$$$<$$$$$$$X$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$9$
http://www.execpc.com/~lcinpin/
http://www.execpc.com/~lcinpin/mst3k.html
Looking for a Quake clan to join? Go here!
http://www.execpc.com/~lcinpin/aa/

Mr. Noah S. Singman

Aug 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/23/96

CLMoon wrote on Wed, 21 Aug 1996 01:18:18 GMT:

> [snipped] Genesis pre-74

Lots of cool stuff, CL, but please tell me you meant Genesis pre-75. I
can't believe you wouldn't like "The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway."

Noah
MST#59539
See you at the 'Con!!

"Thinking he is quite alone, he enters the room as if it were his own,
when ripples on the cool, clear water, reveal some company unthought
of"

Mr. Noah S. Singman

Aug 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/23/96

As I suspected, we're a wonderfully eclectic bunch! Besides all blues
(real blues, not blues-food), most jazz, and Motown, I've greatly
enjoyed Renaissance, Gentle Giant, Nektar, and of course Genesis (with
Peter Gabriel) and the Floyd (with George Roger Waters).

And I suppose if you get Michael Bolton fans together with Harry
Connick Jr fans, and asked them what they hate . . .

Noah
MST#59539
See you at the 'Con!! I'm humming "Astral Man" now . . .

Soundwave [Chad Gould]

Aug 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/23/96

Mike Cinpinski (crow...@execpc.com) wrote:

: Michael Warner wrote:
: > Okay, I've got a similar question. What kind of music do y'all absolutely
: > hate? I ask this because the PA speakers at work play this station out of
: > Toledo that specializes in, I believe, "soft hits." I did not make that
: > up. This encompasses all manner of mind-numbingly cheesy acts such as,
: > but not limited to, Boyz II Men, Jon Secada, Gloria Estefan, Amy Grant,
: > Mariah Carey, Whitney Houston, that guy that sings about how "Jessie
: > paints a picture", and the dreaded Michael Bolton. By the end of the day,
: > I have to come home and take a nap.
: I hate all those groups. I hate soft hits and country as well as
: anything from the 80s except Van Halen.

Hey! Don't knock Oingo Boingo! (:

The worst music, in my opinion, is also the soft rock adult contemporary
drivel that gets shoved down your throat at places like work. About the
only artist that regularly gets played on those stations that I can say
I like is Seal, and only because I thought his first (not second) album
wasn't half bad.

Especially bad is the Boyz II Men R&B imitators. What happened to the
days when R&B had soul? <sigh>

John Crowe

Aug 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/23/96

sp...@frodo.com (Spork The Mango Weasel) wrote:

>Due to sheer curiosuty, sheer boredom, sheer music geekitude, and the need
>to start another flamewar, what kinda music does the average RATMMer get
>into?

uh, okay - here's a short list in no particular order(I've recently
crossed 300 in CD's)

the Beatles (together and separate), Tom Petty, Aretha Franklin, the
Who, the Guess Who, Rossini, Grieg, Tchaikovsky, Muddy Waters, Elmore
James, Clifton Chenier, Otis Spann, Howlin' Wolf, Stevie Ray Vaughn,
Eric Clapton, Annie Lennox, the soundtrack to "the Power of One" by
Hans Zimmer, UB40, Bob Marley, U2, Roy Orbison, Bob Dylan, Rick Ocasek
(& the Cars), CCR, Ray Charles, Led Zeppelin, Jimi Hendrix, Mark
Knopfler, Santana, Marvin Gaye, INXS, the Doors, the Rolling Stones,
the Clash, Talking Heads, Sam Cooke, Chuck Berry, the Pretenders,
T-Bone Walker, Fats Domino, Louis Armstrong, Paul Simon, Ella
Fitzgerald, Duran Duran, Steve Winwood, the Mavericks, Peter Gabriel,
Wilson Pickett...

Brock LaReau: the Wall of Sound pertains to ???

Chip Salzenberg

Aug 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/23/96

Artists and favorite work:

Billy Joel Glass Houses, The Bridge, Storm Front ...
really, everything until River Of Dreams
(which had Shades Of Gray for minor redemption),
with bonus points if Liberty DiVitto is on drums

Robert Cray Some Rainy Morning, Shame and a Sin
Bonnie Raitt Nick of Time
Weird Al Even Worse
They Might Be Giants Lincoln
Dire Straits On Every Street
Clint Black No Time To Kill
K. T. Oslin Love in a Small Town
Gloria Estefan Mi Tierra
Janet Jackson Rhythm Nation (only)
Dizzy Gillespie A Night In Tunisia

Share and enjoy!

ChipDude

This was fun last time, too.

Jeffrey Johnson

Aug 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/23/96

Just to put a further spin on it, I'd like to list some artists with works
that I feel have not been appreciated as much as they deserve (although
these are not necessarily my absolute favorites)

Pink Floyd The Final Cut
Toad The Wet Sprocket Pale
Extreme III Sides To Every Story
Sass Jordan Rats
Queensryche Operation Mindcrime
Cake Motorcade Of Generosity
Shostakovich Symphony 15
Bernstein Chichester Psalms
Copland In The Beginning
William Billings (Choral works, hymns)
Rachmaninoff Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini

Granted, for a few of these it could be argued that they have recieved due
recognition, but for the most part, these aren't commercial successes, and
I think they deserve it.

JSJ1TG, actually posting to a music thread, wow!

AKA

JSJ1TG, who, with the current lack of new eps thinks there would have to
be a rec.arts.tv.mst3k.jeffreyjohnson for him to actually post on topic...

Christine Malcom

Aug 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/23/96

Sheryl Gere <she...@acpub.duke.edu> wrote:

>Christine Malcom <cm...@midway.uchicago.edu> wrote:
>>Sheryl Gere <she...@acpub.duke.edu> wrote:
>>>Fleetwood Mac, Joan Jett and the Blackhearts, They Might Be Giants,
>>>"Weird" Al Yancovic, Tom Lehrer, Christine Lavin, Stevie Nicks,
>> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>>
>>>Tom Petty, Bruce Springsteen, Pink Floyd, Tori Amos(well, at least
>>>the first album and some of the second)
>>>(Yes, i tend to listen to "classic rock" radio)
>>
>>Dammit, Sheryl, you're the first person who's posted people I even *recognize*
>>and I happen to like almost all of the same. I need for you to marry me.
>
>Wow, my first ratmm proposal...and only 9 days before the con.
>Yes, Christine, if you don't mind marrying a somewhat insecure
>lab tech with a fetish for funky earrings

Lab techs do it with bottle brushes...ow...but regardless, I still want you
for my bride.

>(Now if I could only get to see Christine Lavin in concert...she
>never plays around here)

Someone who sent me a great compilation of Lavin and Four Bitchin' Babes
stuff said she just saw 3 out of the 4 Babes in question in concert in
PA...I'm soooo jealous.

Christine Malcom-Department of Anthropology (cm...@kimbark.uchicago.edu)
Indestructible Gouda Llama Woman knows that you can't miss with a name like
Christine
"You're the only one who understands me, moldy corpse." Kevin Mowery

Shelby A. Forsyth

Aug 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/23/96

> >On 21 Aug 1996, Shelby A. Forsyth wrote:
>
> >> Well at this very moment I'm listening to REM's "Murmur". Other tapes
> >> I have nearby are -
> >>
> >> Aretha Franklin
> >> Marvin Gaye
> >> The Chi-Lites
> >> The Red Hot Chili Peppers
> >> Randy Travis
> >> "Desperado" Soundtrack
> >> Frank Sinatra
> >> Miles Davis
> >> Alice in Chains
> >> ABBA
> >> KC and the Sunshine Band
> >>
> >> Make of that what you will.
> >>

> Oooh, a challenge!
>
> Aretha Franklin's soul's reigning pearl
> Marvin Gaye was shot by his dad
> The Chi-lites sang the hit "Oh Girl"
> The Chili Peppers ain't that bad
>
> Randy Travis sings a country tune
> That's not in "Desperado"
> Sinatra sings "Fly Me to the Moon"
> Boy, Miles knew how to blow
>
> Alice in Chains play real loud
> ABBA had a guy named Bjorn
> KC's mother must be proud
> The heck with this ... where's the porn?
>
> nicklby
> too much time on my hands ...

> "If only life were like this."
> -- Alvy Singer in "Annie Hall"
> nic...@primenet.com
>
> MSTie No. 66444
> without a home page
> to call my own

nicklby, you are out there, man.

Shelby MSTie #21778
hot...@aol.com
Koo-koo.

Shelby A. Forsyth

Aug 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/23/96

> On 21 Aug 1996, Shelby A. Forsyth wrote:
>
> > Well at this very moment I'm listening to REM's "Murmur". Other tapes
> > I have nearby are -
> >
> > Aretha Franklin
> > Marvin Gaye
> > The Chi-Lites
> > The Red Hot Chili Peppers
> > Randy Travis
> > "Desperado" Soundtrack
> > Frank Sinatra
> > Miles Davis
> > Alice in Chains
> > ABBA
> > KC and the Sunshine Band
> >
> > Make of that what you will.
> >
> > --Shelby MSTie #21778 (Hotchka @aol.co.)
> > Shakin' through...
>
> Wow! You said 'tapes'! So my question is, how did you get a computer in
> your car?!?
>
> JSJ1TG, who had a long string of questions, but decided to keep it short
> and sweet. Less diversion.

Um, it was pretty easy actually. I just folded down the back seat of my
Toyota Tercel and the boxes fit just fine.

Shelby MSTie #21778
hot...@aol.com
D'oh!

Sheryl Gere

Aug 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/23/96

On Fri, 23 Aug 1996, Christine Malcom wrote:

> Date: Fri, 23 AUG 1996 18:11:39 GMT
> From: Christine Malcom <cm...@midway.uchicago.edu>
> Newgroups: rec.arts.tv.mst3k.misc
> Subject: Re: WOTP: LA LA LA LA...

> Sheryl Gere <she...@acpub.duke.edu> wrote:
> >Christine Malcom <cm...@midway.uchicago.edu> wrote:
> >> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

> >>Dammit, Sheryl, you're the first person who's posted people I even *recognize*
> >>and I happen to like almost all of the same. I need for you to marry me.
> >
> >Wow, my first ratmm proposal...and only 9 days before the con.
> >Yes, Christine, if you don't mind marrying a somewhat insecure
> >lab tech with a fetish for funky earrings
>
> Lab techs do it with bottle brushes...ow...but regardless, I still want you
> for my bride.

Cool! (And I tend to use pipettemen, but that's another story)

> >(Now if I could only get to see Christine Lavin in concert...she
> >never plays around here)
>
> Someone who sent me a great compilation of Lavin and Four Bitchin' Babes
> stuff said she just saw 3 out of the 4 Babes in question in concert in
> PA...I'm soooo jealous.

Me too...

The one time she played in the Research Triangle region, and at Duke, no
less, I was just arriving back in town from visiting my parents

Lousy timing...the story of my life

Sheryl(MSTie#12802)

Jon Hall

Aug 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/23/96

In article <4vkmpe$3...@news.atlantic.net> ch...@rio.atlantic.net (Chip Salzenberg) writes:
>Artists and favorite work:
> Billy Joel Glass Houses, The Bridge, Storm Front ...
> really, everything until River Of Dreams
> (which had Shades Of Gray for minor redemption),
> with bonus points if Liberty DiVitto is on drums
> Robert Cray Some Rainy Morning, Shame and a Sin
> Bonnie Raitt Nick of Time
> Weird Al Even Worse
> They Might Be Giants Lincoln
> Dire Straits On Every Street
> Clint Black No Time To Kill
> K. T. Oslin Love in a Small Town
> Gloria Estefan Mi Tierra
> Janet Jackson Rhythm Nation (only)
> Dizzy Gillespie A Night In Tunisia

Okay. I'm bored and at "work." Here goes.

Bauhaus _The_Sky's_Gone_Out_, _Burning_From_the_Inside_
Simple Minds _Sparkle_in_the_Rain_ (and that's the only one)
REM All of 'em, especially _Reckoning_ and _Fables_of_the_Reconstruction_
Sisters of Mercy _Floodland_
The Pixies _Come_on_Pilgrim_, _Surfer_Rosa_, _Doolittle_
The Breeders _Last_Splash_
Oingo Boingo All of 'em, especially _Good_for_Your_Soul_
Hank Williams (NOT Jr.) Anything. Anything at all.
Chet Atkins Anything on which he does not sing
Devo Everything up to _Shout!_
Thomas Dolby I mean, come on
Smashing Pumpkins _Siamese_Dream_ (I'm sorry; I just like this one. Sue me)
Echo and the Bunnymen Everything until Pete de Freitas died. Bummer
The Replacements Especially _Pleased_to_Meet_Me_
Brave Combo Everything
Little Jack Melody Everything
Poi Dog Pondering _Poi_Dog_Pondering_
The Reivers _Pop_Beloved_
Iggy Pop _Zombie_Birdhouse_
Tones on Tail _Pop_
Peter Murphy _Should_the_World_Fail_to_Fall_apart_, _Love_Hysteria_, _Deep_
Love and Rockets _Seventh_Dream_of_Teenage_Heaven_, _Express_,
_Earth_Sun_Moon_

Jon, who can't think of any more right now

Brian Dunkle

Aug 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/23/96

In article <4vkuv1$j...@news-1.boco.co.gov>,

Shelby A. Forsyth <sa...@boco.co.gov> wrote:

>> nicklby
>> too much time on my hands ...

>> nic...@primenet.com
>>
>> MSTie No. 66444
>> without a home page
>> to call my own
>>

>nicklby, you are out there, man.

Is it any wonder he's not president?

--
* Brian Dunkle * Comp. Sys. Manager; general computer guy, networks 'n' stuff
* Division of Biomedical Communications, AHSC, Tucson AZ (much too hot)
* bdu...@biocom.arizona.edu http://www.biocom.arizona.edu/~bdunkle
* GOD was gonna be my COPILOT, but the DEVIL called SHOTGUN! (c)me

Jeffrey Johnson

Aug 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/23/96

On 23 Aug 1996, Shelby A. Forsyth wrote:

> At some point time, I, Jeffrey Johnson wasn't credited for writing:

> > On 21 Aug 1996, Shelby A. Forsyth wrote:
> >
> > > Well at this very moment I'm listening to REM's "Murmur". Other tapes
> > > I have nearby are -

(Bands Snipped)

> > > Make of that what you will.
> >

> > Wow! You said 'tapes'! So my question is, how did you get a computer in
> > your car?!?
>

> Um, it was pretty easy actually. I just folded down the back seat of my
> Toyota Tercel and the boxes fit just fine.

I should have known. I should have seen it coming. I mean, really, leave
it to a MSTie to make a better smart-ass comment in response to my own
smart-ass comment. Smart-Ass. ;)

JSJ 'But next time, don't count on me to make it so easy for you...' 1TG

David Anderson

Aug 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/23/96

Fairly reliable sources inform me that Spork The Mango Weasel wrote:

> Due to sheer curiosuty, sheer boredom, sheer music geekitude, and the need
> to start another flamewar, what kinda music does the average RATMMer get
> into?

I like country, and refuse to apologize for it. Besides, it's part of the job.
Top of my charts: Hal Ketchum, Suzy Bogguss, early Garth. Brooks and Dunn are
darn near infallible.

I grew up on Motown. There is no substitute.
If the Temptations did not exist, I would have to invent them, simple as that.
Same with the Four Tops and The Supremes.

I can handle hard rock, but I've never been big on acid, punk or metal.
While I probably wouldn't go to one of their concerts, I can deal with
Aerosmith at moderate volume.

Classical is cool...I tend to lean towards Vivaldi and Beethoven's symphonies.
The Four Seasons is a must, and I'm quite enamored of Ludwig's Ninth.

Techno has its moments, but not, IMO, an overabundance of them.
I'll admit it, though...I own a copy of "Mortal Kombat: The Album."

Opera? Sorry, I just don't get it.

Rap simply does not speak to me.

The spectrum is wide, but then, so am I.
--
========*Opinions expressed here are mine and mine alone. Deal with it.*========
* David Anderson * lan...@cybercom.net * http://www.cybercom.net/~lando5 *

Carl D. Burke

Aug 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/23/96

nic...@primenet.com scribed:

> nicklby
> too much time on my hands ...

What, a Styx reference?!

--
Barcode, no, sorry, it's not a very grand allusion at all...

nicklby

Aug 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/23/96

>> Oooh, a challenge!
>>
>> Aretha Franklin's soul's reigning pearl
>> Marvin Gaye was shot by his dad
>> The Chi-lites sang the hit "Oh Girl"
>> The Chili Peppers ain't that bad
>>
>> Randy Travis sings a country tune
>> That's not in "Desperado"
>> Sinatra sings "Fly Me to the Moon"
>> Boy, Miles knew how to blow
>>
>> Alice in Chains play real loud
>> ABBA had a guy named Bjorn
>> KC's mother must be proud
>> The heck with this ... where's the porn?
>>

>> nicklby
>> too much time on my hands ...

>nicklby, you are out there, man.

No, actually I'm out *here*. You're out there.
But thanks anyway.

nicklby
I wish I could've fixed the meter
in that second stanza.

"If only life were like this."
-- Alvy Singer in "Annie Hall"

Michael Wilson

Aug 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/24/96

Well for what it's worth here's my 2 cents:

Avid fan of:

XTC
Jellyfish
Imperial Drag
Dramarama

CLMoon

Aug 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/24/96

YAQ...@prodigy.com (Mr. Noah S. Singman) wrote:
>CLMoon wrote on Wed, 21 Aug 1996 01:18:18 GMT:
>> [snipped] Genesis pre-74

>Lots of cool stuff, CL, but please tell me you meant Genesis pre-75. I
>can't believe you wouldn't like "The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway."
>Noah
>MST#59539

>"Thinking he is quite alone, he enters the room as if it were his own,
>when ripples on the cool, clear water, reveal some company unthought
>of"

No, no quite right Mr. Singman, thank you for the correction.
Lamb Lies Down is my 'desert island disc'.

"Rael stands astonished, doubting his sight;
struck by beauty, gripped in fright."

Which I do a killer impression of, by the way.
--
CLMoon MSTie 30205

Mr. Noah S. Singman

Aug 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/24/96

Christine Malcom wrote on Wed, 21 Aug 1996 05:30:36 GMT:

> Hans? Lottie? Jane? Willie? Suki? Leo? Sasha? Brit? Adolf?
> Enrico? Andre? Chian Ching? Lin Tai Yu?

Oh, look! They're playing together so nicely! Hans plays with Lottie,
Lottie plays with Jane, Jane plays with Willie, and Willie is happy
again. Suki plays with Leo, Sasha plays with Brit . . .oh, that
naughty Adolf built a bonfire, and Rico plays with it.

Thanks for the reminder, Ms. Malcom. "Games without Frontiers" was a
knockout!

Noah
MST#59539
See you at the 'Con!! I'll bet Peter Gabriel is a MiSTie.

Perri Mongan

Aug 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/24/96

In article <4vlo1n$s...@news2.h1.usa.pipeline.com>, clm...@usa.pipeline.com
(CLMoon) wrote:

Of Peter Gabriel's voice, or of someone who's astonished? :) "Lamb" is my
Desert Island Disc, too, but that's going to be one weird little island...

Perri
they say she comes on a pale horse, but I'm sure I hear a train

coas...@mnsinc.com "Pancakes! Oh, I screwed up."

Suzanne Yada

Aug 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/24/96

what the hey. i'm bored, too. obviously. :)

*tori amos "little earthquakes" and "boys for pele"
*they might be giants "lincoln," "flood," "john henry" was pretty cool...
*smashing pumpkins "siamese dream"...yummy!
*the smiths "strangeways, here we come"; "meat is murder"
*morrissey um..."vauxhall and i"...don't hit me!
*gene "olympian"
*dinosaur jr. "without a sound" is classic...
*cure "disintegration"
*bjork "debut" and "post"
*the sugarcubes i don't know the album titles, really...
*rem hmmm...can't really decide...."green" was good...
*depeche mode "music for the masses"!
*blur the songs "she's so high" and "the universal"
(i don't know any albums)
*beatles "the white album" and "sgt. pepper"
*simon and garfunkel too many! way, way, WAY too many!
*frente! "marvin the album" and that new one...
*oingo boingo their "farewell" release was awesome!
*violent femmes self-titled
*belly "star" and "king"
*red house painters don't know any albums..."sundays and holidays" is
a good song, though!
*sky cries mary dunno any titles--heard them once and liked them
enough to go see them in concert
*sweet 75 they happened to open that concert
*sarah mclachlan "fumbling towards ecstasy"
*enya "in memory of trees." "watermark." shut up.
*pixies "doolittle" and, oh, criminy, that other one... the one
with the planet on the cover...
*elvis costello just him in general! :)
*mazzy star "so tonight that i might see" or something like that
*10,000 maniacs "in my tribe" and "blind man's zoo"
*cibo matto the songs "beef jerky", "birthday cake" and "know
your chicken". they like singing about food!
*sundays "blind" and "reading, writing and arithmetic"
*man or astroman the only one i have is "project: moonbase" or some-
thing. i hear that they covered the MST theme song
in "destroy all astromen!" must have it!!!
*shadowy men on a shadowy planet
"dim the lights, chill the ham" and their various
kids in the hall work
*billie holiday i have a collection of hers and she is totally cool!
joy division another band of whom i only own a collection...
*various big bands glenn miller, cap calloway, you know! :)
*various 80's bands talking heads, new order, several of those types...

i better stop.

-xmuxa or feelyat! or hamdinger or whatever you want me to be.

-"they may shine with the misinformation of the ages, but at least they
SHINE."

Mr. Noah S. Singman

Aug 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/24/96

CLMoon wrote on Sat, 24 Aug 1996 02:07:24 GMT:

> No, no quite right Mr. Singman, thank you for the correction.
> Lamb Lies Down is my 'desert island disc'.
>
> "Rael stands astonished, doubting his sight;
> struck by beauty, gripped in fright."
>
> Which I do a killer impression of, by the way.

Mr. Singman is much too formal, particularly if "Lamb" is your desert
island disc, too. And unfortunately, I've been told I do an incredible
imitation of a Slipperman (for you not-yet-exposed-to-real-Genesis
MiSTies, think of a moderately solidified melting man).

Mr. Noah S. Singman

Aug 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/24/96

Perri Mongan wrote on Sat, 24 Aug 1996 06:02:30 -0400:

> In article <4vlo1n$s...@news2.h1.usa.pipeline.com>,
clm...@usa.pipeline.com
> (CLMoon) wrote:
>
> >Lamb Lies Down is my 'desert island disc'.
> >
> >"Rael stands astonished, doubting his sight;
> >struck by beauty, gripped in fright."
> >
> >Which I do a killer impression of, by the way.
>
> Of Peter Gabriel's voice, or of someone who's astonished? :) "Lamb"
> is my Desert Island Disc, too, but that's going to be one weird
> little island...
>
> Perri
> they say she comes on a pale horse, but I'm sure I hear a train

You too, Perri!?!
[Push Rex Reason voice]
But this is wonderful!
[Pop]
All the pumpings nearly over for my sweet heart!!

Noah
MST#59539
See you at the 'con!! Does MST3K plug a hole in heaven, or heaven plug
a hole in MST3K?

Stephen Dranger

Aug 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/24/96

cm...@midway.uchicago.edu (Christine Malcom) wrote:

>John Crowe <jcro...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
>>coas...@mnsinc.com (Perri Mongan) wrote:
>>>but I named one of my cats after a line in a Peter Gabriel song, do I get
>>>some credit? :)
>>
>>Biko?
>>Sledgehammer?
>>Wormshake?
>>Unsheltered Place?
>>Shaking the Tree?
>>Solsbury?
>>Blood of Eden?
>>Us?
>>So?
>>I Don't Remember?
>>I Don't Recall?
>>I've Got No Memory of Anything At All?

>Hans? Lottie? Jane? Willie? Suki? Leo? Sasha? Brit? Adolf? Enrico?
>Andre? Chian Ching? Lin Tai Yu?

El Presidente? Enchilada? Royale with Cheese? Taco? (or maybe just
Fluffy?)

--Yoda

speaking of tacos, maybe you named your cat Nacho (Eddie Deezen)?

Stephen Dranger

Aug 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/24/96

"Shelby A. Forsyth" <sa...@boco.co.gov> wrote:

>> Due to sheer curiosuty, sheer boredom, sheer music geekitude, and the need
>> to start another flamewar, what kinda music does the average RATMMer get

>> into? I know Zappa holds a place near and dear to the Brains, and I've
>> seen Thomas Dolby and XTC refs here, as well as old blues stuff...
>>
>> My faves are Television Personalities, Ween, Nick Cave, Eno, The Bevis
>> Frond, etc...
>>
>> I think Neuron just might be a Fabio fan.
>>
>> Or at least Michael Bolton.
>>
>> Chad "I really, really need a hobby" Van Wagner
>>
>> --
>> "Seriousness Is Stupidity Sent To College." -P.J. O'Rourke
>> "Stare At My Butt" -My Cats
>> "Kiss The Bird Dick" -Joel, "Bride Of The Monster"

>Well at this very moment I'm listening to REM's "Murmur". Other tapes
>I have nearby are -

>Aretha Franklin
>Marvin Gaye
>The Chi-Lites
>The Red Hot Chili Peppers
>Randy Travis
>"Desperado" Soundtrack
>Frank Sinatra
>Miles Davis
>Alice in Chains
>ABBA
>KC and the Sunshine Band

>Make of that what you will.

> --Shelby MSTie #21778 (Hotchka @aol.co.)
> Shakin' through...

Some of my favorites:

Green Day
Led Zepplin
Jimi Hendrix
The Beatles
Cranberries
Rancid
STP
Bush

--Yoda

And NOT Metallica!!!!!!!!!!

fjdsp
fksodpafjoa

My news server does this: More included text than new...

blah blah blah

afjps

fdsajfhd

Space

Michael Beaulieu

Aug 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/25/96
> SHINE."Hey, fun!! Someone who shares my tastes.
About 75% of what you have on your list, Suzanne, is in my collection.
Most of the other 25% I haven't heard of, but judging from your tastes,
I'd better pick them up.

Ever since I went and grew up and moved from Ann Arbor to Midland, I'm
out of touch with progressive radio. Now I have to try and guess by
names and album covers to find something new. Every once in a while I
get lucky. Lately I've discovered Tripping Daisy "i am an ELASTIC
FIRECRACKER" as well as Goo Goo Dolls and a few others. Mostly, I find
I'm getting old enough that I can 'rediscover' the music from my
childhood on the '70s "oldies" stations.

SMiTEBoY

Aug 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/26/96

Christine Malcom

Aug 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/26/96

Sheryl Gere <she...@acpub.duke.edu> wrote:
>On Fri, 23 Aug 1996, Christine Malcom wrote:
>> Sheryl Gere <she...@acpub.duke.edu> wrote:

>> >Wow, my first ratmm proposal...and only 9 days before the con.
>> >Yes, Christine, if you don't mind marrying a somewhat insecure
>> >lab tech with a fetish for funky earrings
>>
>> Lab techs do it with bottle brushes...ow...but regardless, I still want you
>> for my bride.
>
>Cool! (And I tend to use pipettemen, but that's another story)

I hadn't dared hope...swoon...

>> >(Now if I could only get to see Christine Lavin in concert...she
>> >never plays around here)
>>
>> Someone who sent me a great compilation of Lavin and Four Bitchin' Babes
>> stuff said she just saw 3 out of the 4 Babes in question in concert in
>> PA...I'm soooo jealous.
>
>Me too...
>The one time she played in the Research Triangle region, and at Duke, no
>less, I was just arriving back in town from visiting my parents
>Lousy timing...the story of my life

*christine takes out harmonica*
Nobody gets outta here without singin' the blues.

Christine Malcom-Department of Anthropology (cm...@kimbark.uchicago.edu)

Indestructible Gouda Llama Woman singin' zippidee doo dah

Sheryl Gere

Aug 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/26/96

On Mon, 26 Aug 1996, Christine Malcom wrote:

> Sheryl Gere <she...@acpub.duke.edu> wrote:

> >> Lab techs do it with bottle brushes...ow...but regardless, I still want you
> >> for my bride.
> >
> >Cool! (And I tend to use pipettemen, but that's another story)
>
> I hadn't dared hope...swoon...

Ah...so which size should I bring...I have three

> >Me too...
> >The one time she played in the Research Triangle region, and at Duke, no
> >less, I was just arriving back in town from visiting my parents
> >Lousy timing...the story of my life
>
> *christine takes out harmonica*
> Nobody gets outta here without singin' the blues.

I dunno, how good could my blues be? I'm white, Jewish and middle-class.
And you really don't want to hear me sing...

Sheryl(MSTie#12802 has the insurance company screwed me over, can't find
a date, and on a permanent bad hair day blues)

Genghis

Aug 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/26/96

Has anyone mentioned "Boingo" yet?

- G -

--
"Pay no attention to what the critics say;
no statue has ever been erected to a critic."

Perri Mongan

Aug 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/26/96

In article <4vo2k0$1r...@usenetp1.news.prodigy.com>, YAQ...@prodigy.com

(Mr. Noah S. Singman) wrote:

>Perri Mongan wrote on Sat, 24 Aug 1996 06:02:30 -0400:
>>
>> In article <4vlo1n$s...@news2.h1.usa.pipeline.com>,
>
>clm...@usa.pipeline.com
>> (CLMoon) wrote:
>>
>> >Lamb Lies Down is my 'desert island disc'.
>> >
>> >"Rael stands astonished, doubting his sight;
>> >struck by beauty, gripped in fright."
>> >
>> >Which I do a killer impression of, by the way.
>>
>> Of Peter Gabriel's voice, or of someone who's astonished? :) "Lamb"
>> is my Desert Island Disc, too, but that's going to be one weird
>> little island...
>>
>> Perri
>> they say she comes on a pale horse, but I'm sure I hear a train
>
>You too, Perri!?!
>[Push Rex Reason voice]
>But this is wonderful!
>[Pop]
>All the pumpings nearly over for my sweet heart!!

Wow, you could have been exploded in space, different orbits for your
bones. And that would be messy.

Er, about that imitation of a Slipperman... I hope it's not completely
authentic, or Jungle Goddess would be decidedly unhappy if you go for the
only cure.

Perri
watch out for ravens!

T-Bone

Aug 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/26/96

Just my $.02 on this (though these cds cost me far more than that), here's
whats sitting next to/on my stereo:

John Jackson - Don't Let Your Deal Go Down
Blind Boy Fuller - East Coast Piedmont Style
Cephas & Wiggins - Cool Down
Archie Edwards - Blues & Bones
Pernell Charity - The Virginian
Leroy Carr - Blues before Sunrise
T-Bone Walker - T-Bone Blues
Kenny Neal - Devil Child
Omar Shariff - Badass
Eric Clapton - From the Cradle (being used as a coaster)
U2 - Achtung Baby
The Black Crowes - Southern Rhythm and harmony Companion
John Mellencamp - The Lonesome Jubilee
The Electric Amish - Barn to be Wild
The Pogues - If I Should Fall from Grace with God
The Best of Sun Rockabilly

T-Bone, tbo...@io.com (on the web at http://www.io.com/~tbone1/)
"I like the license plates that say 'The South's gonna do it again.' Do
what, get your ass kicked?" - Dean Metcalf, The Bob and Tom Show

Spork The Mango Weasel

Aug 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/27/96

Sheesh, when I started this thread, I didn't expect THIS much...

Well, here's MY list (rolling up his sleeves in a final shot at one-upmanship)

Afghan Whigs
Laurie Anderson
Badfinger
Beatles
Bevis Frond
Biff! Bang! Pow!
Big Star
Birthday Party
Blur
Bowie
Buzzcocks
Can
Nick Cave
Chills
Cosmic Psychos
Elvis Costello
The Cure
The Damned
Dash Rip Rock
The dBs
Devo
Thomas Dolby
Nick Drake
Dukes Of Stratosphear
Dwarves
Einsturzende Neubauten
Elastica
Eno
Roky Erickson
Esquivel
The Fall
Felt
The Flatmates
Flying Saucer Attack
Game Theory
Gang Of Four
Funkadelic
Gaunt
Guided By Voices
Robyn Hitchcock
The Jam
Japan
Jasmine Minks
The Jazz Butcher
The Kinks
Let's Active
Mission Of Burma
The Modern Lovers
Momus
Moody Blues
Mudhoney
Muffs
My Bloody Valentine
New Bomb Turks
Oingo Boingo
Only Ones
Orange Juice
Pere Ubu
Pink Floyd (Barrett era)
Pixies
Pretenders
Pulp
Railroad Jerk
Rain Parade
Mike Rep
Replacements
Residents
Jonathan Richman
Paul Roland
Rolling Stones
Roxy Music
Raymond Scott
Archie Shepp
Shoes
Shop Assistants
Silver Apples
Sneeches
Soft Boys
Sonics
Stereolab
Stiff Little Fingers
Stranglers
Swans
Supersuckers
Television
Television Personalities
10cc
13th Floor Elevators
20/20
Undertones
Upper Crust
Tom Waits
Ween
Wire
XTC

<pant pant>

Spork The Mango Weasel

Aug 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/27/96

> John Jackson - Don't Let Your Deal Go Down
> Blind Boy Fuller - East Coast Piedmont Style
> Cephas & Wiggins - Cool Down
> Archie Edwards - Blues & Bones
> Pernell Charity - The Virginian
> Leroy Carr - Blues before Sunrise
> T-Bone Walker - T-Bone Blues
> Kenny Neal - Devil Child
> Omar Shariff - Badass
> Eric Clapton - From the Cradle (being used as a coaster)
> U2 - Achtung Baby
> The Black Crowes - Southern Rhythm and harmony Companion
> John Mellencamp - The Lonesome Jubilee
> The Electric Amish - Barn to be Wild
> The Pogues - If I Should Fall from Grace with God
> The Best of Sun Rockabilly

Boy, this reminds me of a line in Secret Agent, Super Dragon:

"Do you know where I might find some music of a rootsy style?"

Well, okay, I'm paraphrasing.

Jeffrey Johnson

Aug 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/27/96

You'd better be careful. When I was a freshman, one of my dormmates broke
into my room and dealphabetized my CD collection. Don't let it happen to
you! Now I can hardly bear to alphabetize my sentences anymore, since
someone's bound to screw them up...

JSJ 'And boy, doesn't it just kill me 'membering my playful, subtle toying
with words...' 1TG

Amy Ashton

Aug 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/27/96

You all don't want to know what CDs are sitting on
my table. Let's just put it this way -- Rimsky-Korsakov
and Bach are well represented.

Amy, partying like it's 1699
--
"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on
fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the

Amy Ashton

Aug 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/27/96

t-bone gave us:

> John Jackson - Don't Let Your Deal Go Down
> Blind Boy Fuller - East Coast Piedmont Style
> Cephas & Wiggins - Cool Down
> Archie Edwards - Blues & Bones
> Pernell Charity - The Virginian
> Leroy Carr - Blues before Sunrise
> T-Bone Walker - T-Bone Blues
> Kenny Neal - Devil Child
> Omar Shariff - Badass
> Eric Clapton - From the Cradle (being used as a coaster)
> U2 - Achtung Baby

Bless you. (I've always wanted to do that.)

> The Black Crowes - Southern Rhythm and harmony Companion
> John Mellencamp - The Lonesome Jubilee
> The Electric Amish - Barn to be Wild

Did I mention I finally watched "Witness" last week?

> The Pogues - If I Should Fall from Grace with God
> The Best of Sun Rockabilly

Hmmm. Let's check the CD wallet...

Saint-Saens, Symphony #4
The Dance, the Cincinnati Pops
Mussorgsky, Pictures at an Exhibition
Russian Spectacular (helps me envision men in ruffles and
sequins... ahhh...)
Vivaldi, the Four Seasons
Mendelssohn, Symphonies #3 and 4
Enya, Watermark (makes good background music)
The Best of the Gipsy Kings
Mozart, Requiem
Enigma (ow! don't hit!)
Piano Classics
Fete a la Francaise
Rodrigo, Concierto de aranjuez and Fantasia para un gentilhombre
Gershwin, Rhapsdy in Blue and An American in Paris
Swing Kids soundtrack (lousy movie, good music)
Paul Simon, Rhythm of the Saints, Graceland, and Negotiations
& Love Songs
Sting, ...Nothing Like the Sun
Get Shorty soundtrack
Gipsy Kings, Tierra Gitana

Amy, I'm exhausted

Amy Ashton

Aug 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/27/96

Jeffrey said:

>You'd better be careful. When I was a freshman, one of my dormmates broke
>into my room and dealphabetized my CD collection. Don't let it happen to
>you! Now I can hardly bear to alphabetize my sentences anymore, since
>someone's bound to screw them up...

My roommate recently bought a new set of bookshelves, and
we spent the weekend moving furniture and rearranging our
books, CDs, and videotapes. We discovered that we have completely
different approaches to books. She organizes hers by category and
author. I organize mine by size.

Also color.

Amy, I told her, if she puts Dewey Decimal System labels on
her books, I'm moving out. She looked disappointed.

Brian Dunkle

Aug 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/27/96

In article <Pine.GSO.3.95.960827...@dale.ucdavis.edu>,

Jeffrey Johnson <ez04...@peseta.ucdavis.edu> wrote:

>You'd better be careful. When I was a freshman, one of my dormmates broke
>into my room and dealphabetized my CD collection. Don't let it happen to
>you! Now I can hardly bear to alphabetize my sentences anymore, since
>someone's bound to screw them up...

If I recall correctly, alphabetizing one's CDs is something best
done when one has a test to study for, a paper to write, etc. :)
("ummm....geez, I really better sort out my dishes!")

Brian, who finds he just never has time for stuff like that these days,
now that he's got so much more free time...weird.

--
* Brian Dunkle * Comp. Sys. Manager; general computer guy, networks 'n' stuff
* Division of Biomedical Communications, AHSC, Tucson AZ (much too hot)
* bdu...@biocom.arizona.edu http://www.biocom.arizona.edu/~bdunkle
* GOD was gonna be my COPILOT, but the DEVIL called SHOTGUN! (c)me

Jon Hall

Aug 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/27/96

In article <4vutb3$s...@news.ysu.edu> bn...@yfn.ysu.edu (Amy Ashton) writes:

>My roommate recently bought a new set of bookshelves, and
>we spent the weekend moving furniture and rearranging our
>books, CDs, and videotapes. We discovered that we have completely
>different approaches to books. She organizes hers by category and
>author. I organize mine by size.

>Also color.

You're not an English major, are you, honey?

Jon, who categorizes his books (History, Reference, Mythology, Criticism,
Teaching Methods, Literature), alphabetizes them by author within those
categories, then arranges each author's books by original publication date.
If I didn't, I'd never find anything. I have over a thousand of the little
bastards.

Bill Livingston

Aug 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/27/96

Previously on "Raining Readbow", Amy Ashton wrote:

>Jeffrey said:
>>You'd better be careful. When I was a freshman, one of my dormmates broke
>>into my room and dealphabetized my CD collection. Don't let it happen to
>>you! Now I can hardly bear to alphabetize my sentences anymore, since
>>someone's bound to screw them up...
>
>My roommate recently bought a new set of bookshelves, and
>we spent the weekend moving furniture and rearranging our
>books, CDs, and videotapes. We discovered that we have completely
>different approaches to books. She organizes hers by category and
>author. I organize mine by size.
>Also color.

Organized books? [Insert Bitter_Laugh.WAV]

Even before I moved, any attempt to organize my books was viciously and cruelly
beaten down by the books themselves, who all banded together and started moving
themselves around, en masse.

I have now given up and let them roam freely. Besides, they're th eonly thing
that scares the dog (well, that and moths).

Bill L.
Ridin' herd at the ol' book corral

bi...@Traveller.COM http://www.Traveller.COM/~bill
Best if Used by Date on Label

Jeffrey Johnson

Aug 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/27/96

On 27 Aug 1996, Amy Ashton admitted before a grand jury that she listens
to:

> Mussorgsky, Pictures at an Exhibition

Now, is this the Mussorgsky/Ravel orchestration or the original
Mussorgsky piano solo piece? Well, probably the former, but ifin you're
interested in the latter, RCA Victor has a really nice disc out with
Vladimir Horowitz on piano on both Pictures and Tchaikovsky's Piano
Concerto #1. Check it out, if you dare...

JSJ1TG, who onlys regrets buying it because he now cannot justify buying
Van Cliburn's version of Piano Concerto #1...

Jeffrey Johnson

Aug 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/27/96

On 27 Aug 1996, Amy Ashton wrote:

> Jeffrey said:
>
> >You'd better be careful. When I was a freshman, one of my dormmates broke
> >into my room and dealphabetized my CD collection. Don't let it happen to
> >you! Now I can hardly bear to alphabetize my sentences anymore, since
> >someone's bound to screw them up...
>
> My roommate recently bought a new set of bookshelves, and
> we spent the weekend moving furniture and rearranging our
> books, CDs, and videotapes. We discovered that we have completely
> different approaches to books. She organizes hers by category and
> author. I organize mine by size.
>
> Also color.
>

> Amy, I told her, if she puts Dewey Decimal System labels on
> her books, I'm moving out. She looked disappointed.

If you really want to get a laugh, do it for her one day when she's gone,
as a surprise. Research the DDS so you can do it all correctly. Except
make sure that you completely misclassify at least one of her favorite
books. Put 'The Bridges Of Madison County' under an architectural number.
Put 'Catch-22' under sports. That'll really mess with her mind.

JSJ1TG, fighting entropy since 1974

Steve Loubert

Aug 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/27/96

In article <hall.823...@art.unt.edu>,

ha...@art.unt.edu (Jon Hall) wrote:
>In article <4vutb3$s...@news.ysu.edu> bn...@yfn.ysu.edu (Amy Ashton) writes:
>
>>My roommate recently bought a new set of bookshelves, and
>>we spent the weekend moving furniture and rearranging our
>>books, CDs, and videotapes. We discovered that we have completely
>>different approaches to books. She organizes hers by category and
>>author. I organize mine by size.
>
>>Also color.
>
>You're not an English major, are you, honey?
>
>Jon, who categorizes his books (History, Reference, Mythology, Criticism,
^^^^^^^^^

>Teaching Methods, Literature), alphabetizes them by author within those
>categories, then arranges each author's books by original publication date.
>If I didn't, I'd never find anything. I have over a thousand of the little
>bastards.

You misspelled "Pornography".

Steve Loubert,
stickler for detail

Amy Ashton

Aug 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/27/96

Jon said:

>In article <4vutb3$s...@news.ysu.edu> bn...@yfn.ysu.edu (Amy Ashton) writes:
>>My roommate recently bought a new set of bookshelves, and
>>we spent the weekend moving furniture and rearranging our
>>books, CDs, and videotapes. We discovered that we have completely
>>different approaches to books. She organizes hers by category and
>>author. I organize mine by size.
>
>>Also color.
>
>You're not an English major, are you, honey?

Minor. Creative writing minor. It's the creative part that gets me.
Plus, I don't have that many books. I keep most of mine in the
library. Sure, I'm singlehandedly supporting the Public Library
of Cincinnati and Hamilton County from overdue fines, but
it beats having to pack all my books up every time I move.

Now, my notebooks and stories are an enitrely different matter.
I do have a system for organizing those. It just happens to involve
large portions of my bedroom floor. I'm working on my compulsion
to keep every single word I've ever written.

Amy, my roommate's an engineer. big surprise.

Amy Ashton

Aug 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/27/96

JSJ1TG said:

>> My roommate recently bought a new set of bookshelves, and
>> we spent the weekend moving furniture and rearranging our
>> books, CDs, and videotapes. We discovered that we have completely
>> different approaches to books. She organizes hers by category and
>> author. I organize mine by size.
>>
>> Also color.
>>

>> Amy, I told her, if she puts Dewey Decimal System labels on
>> her books, I'm moving out. She looked disappointed.
>
>If you really want to get a laugh, do it for her one day when she's gone,
>as a surprise. Research the DDS so you can do it all correctly. Except
>make sure that you completely misclassify at least one of her favorite
>books. Put 'The Bridges Of Madison County' under an architectural number.
>Put 'Catch-22' under sports. That'll really mess with her mind.

How about putting her Woody Allen collection under religion?

Amy, wait. she might like that.

Jeffrey Johnson

Aug 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/27/96

Amy Ashkenazy wrote:

> JS... oh, I forget said:
>
> >On 27 Aug 1996, Amy Ashton admitted before a grand jury that she listens
> to:
> >> Mussorgsky, Pictures at an Exhibition
> >
> >Now, is this the Mussorgsky/Ravel orchestration or the original
> >Mussorgsky piano solo piece?
>
> The former. I've heard the latter. It has its attractions -- spare,
> interesting melodies that aren't swamped by Ravel's lush
> orchestration -- but it's behind Delibe's "Lakme" and Hansen's
> Symphony #2 on my "must buy NOW" list.

> > Well, probably the former, but ifin you're
> >interested in the latter, RCA Victor has a really nice disc out with
> >Vladimir Horowitz on piano on both Pictures and Tchaikovsky's Piano
> >Concerto #1. Check it out, if you dare...
>
> Horowitz... *sigh*

> >JSJ1TG, who onlys regrets buying it because he now cannot justify buying
> >Van Cliburn's version of Piano Concerto #1...
>
> I have a disc of the #1 and #3 with Andrei Gavrilov on the
> piano and Ashkenazy conducting. Very nice, though they
> take it so fast, I wonder if they were late for dinner dates
> or something.

I'm just sitting here imagining #1 at about twice speed, perhaps a little
bit tinny, and all I can see in my mind is a carousel. It works!

JSJ "Not that my ENTIRE motivation for this post wasn't to get you back
for the 'JS... oh, I forget' thing..." 1TG

Keiko

Aug 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/27/96

On 27 Aug 1996, Amy Ashton wrote:

> JS... oh, I forget said:
>
> >On 27 Aug 1996, Amy Ashton admitted before a grand jury that she listens
> to:
> >> Mussorgsky, Pictures at an Exhibition
> >
> >Now, is this the Mussorgsky/Ravel orchestration or the original
> >Mussorgsky piano solo piece?
>
> The former. I've heard the latter. It has its attractions -- spare,
> interesting melodies that aren't swamped by Ravel's lush
> orchestration -- but it's behind Delibe's "Lakme" and Hansen's
> Symphony #2 on my "must buy NOW" list.

I enjoy the orchestration myself but that's probably because I have a
recording of both and the piano version was recorded from a live
performance...complete with throat clearings, coughs, and other
disturbing sounds.

I can't help thinking of the Smurfs when I listen to Pictures at an
Exhibition.

> > Well, probably the former, but ifin you're
> >interested in the latter, RCA Victor has a really nice disc out with
> >Vladimir Horowitz on piano on both Pictures and Tchaikovsky's Piano
> >Concerto #1. Check it out, if you dare...
>
> Horowitz... *sigh*
>
> >JSJ1TG, who onlys regrets buying it because he now cannot justify buying
> >Van Cliburn's version of Piano Concerto #1...

Just pretend you don't have it. That's what I do.
As a result, I have two recordings of many things...
Actually, I just tell myself that I'm a music student who wants to listen to
different versions and critique each...It's for my education.

I recently heard it at the Hollywood Bowl. I sat so far back I couldn't
hear the quiet bits.

Keiko the PROCRASTINATOR!! Mistie #65670

"normal view! Normal View! NORMAL VIEW!! *NORMAL VIEW*!!!!!!"
-Mike & the 'Bots from MST3K:TM

"Wah-Unga!" -TV's Frank from Bloodlust

"It's like squeezing water out of a metronome."
-Gisela J. Bowman

"Grown-up people don't always know everything, though they try to
pretend they do. That is called 'prestige,' and is responsible for
most of the wars that devastate the continent of Europe."
-Peter Wimsey in "Talboys" by DL Sayers

Amy Ashton

Aug 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/27/96

JS... oh, I forget said:

>On 27 Aug 1996, Amy Ashton admitted before a grand jury that she listens
to:
>> Mussorgsky, Pictures at an Exhibition
>
>Now, is this the Mussorgsky/Ravel orchestration or the original
>Mussorgsky piano solo piece?

The former. I've heard the latter. It has its attractions -- spare,
interesting melodies that aren't swamped by Ravel's lush
orchestration -- but it's behind Delibe's "Lakme" and Hansen's
Symphony #2 on my "must buy NOW" list.

> Well, probably the former, but ifin you're

>interested in the latter, RCA Victor has a really nice disc out with
>Vladimir Horowitz on piano on both Pictures and Tchaikovsky's Piano
>Concerto #1. Check it out, if you dare...

Horowitz... *sigh*

>JSJ1TG, who onlys regrets buying it because he now cannot justify buying
>Van Cliburn's version of Piano Concerto #1...

I have a disc of the #1 and #3 with Andrei Gavrilov on the

piano and Ashkenazy conducting. Very nice, though they
take it so fast, I wonder if they were late for dinner dates
or something.

Amy

Amy Ashton

Aug 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/27/96

JSJ1TG said:

>Amy Ashkenazy wrote:

You have no idea how flattered I am, but I'm afraid I
don't have the hair to be a great conductor. Don't get
me wrong, my hair is nice and all, but it just don't have
that *flair* it needs to be one of the Great Ones.

>> JS... oh, I forget said:
>> >On 27 Aug 1996, Amy Ashton admitted before a grand jury that she listens
>> to:
> >> Mussorgsky, Pictures at an Exhibition
>> >Now, is this the Mussorgsky/Ravel orchestration or the original
>> >Mussorgsky piano solo piece?
>> The former. I've heard the latter. It has its attractions -- spare,
>> interesting melodies that aren't swamped by Ravel's lush
>> orchestration -- but it's behind Delibe's "Lakme" and Hansen's
>> Symphony #2 on my "must buy NOW" list.
>> > Well, probably the former, but ifin you're
>> >interested in the latter, RCA Victor has a really nice disc out with
>> >Vladimir Horowitz on piano on both Pictures and Tchaikovsky's Piano
>> >Concerto #1. Check it out, if you dare...
>> Horowitz... *sigh*
>> >JSJ1TG, who onlys regrets buying it because he now cannot justify buying
>> >Van Cliburn's version of Piano Concerto #1...
>> I have a disc of the #1 and #3 with Andrei Gavrilov on the
>> piano and Ashkenazy conducting. Very nice, though they
>> take it so fast, I wonder if they were late for dinner dates
>> or something.
>

>I'm just sitting here imagining #1 at about twice speed, perhaps a little
>bit tinny, and all I can see in my mind is a carousel. It works!

Saaay! A classical music theme park! I like it! We could have
the "ODe to Joy" log flumes, the "Firebird" roller coaster, strolling
cellists...

>JSJ "Not that my ENTIRE motivation for this post wasn't to get you back
>for the 'JS... oh, I forget' thing..." 1TG

I'm so hurt.

Jeffrey Johnson

Aug 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/27/96

On Tue, 27 Aug 1996, Keiko wrote:

> > > Well, probably the former, but ifin you're
> > >interested in the latter, RCA Victor has a really nice disc out with
> > >Vladimir Horowitz on piano on both Pictures and Tchaikovsky's Piano
> > >Concerto #1. Check it out, if you dare...
> >
> > Horowitz... *sigh*
> >
> > >JSJ1TG, who onlys regrets buying it because he now cannot justify buying
> > >Van Cliburn's version of Piano Concerto #1...
> >

> Just pretend you don't have it. That's what I do.
> As a result, I have two recordings of many things...
> Actually, I just tell myself that I'm a music student who wants to listen to
> different versions and critique each...It's for my education.

Yeah, but I'm sure not a music student, and with the number of CDs that I
have versus the frequency at which I listen to them, to buy the Van
Cliburn would be pure materialism...not that that's a bad thing, mind
you...

> I recently heard it at the Hollywood Bowl. I sat so far back I couldn't
> hear the quiet bits.

Was this part of the Summer Series at the Bowl (or whatever it's called?)
I have a friend who's a native of LA, she tells me that I've got to go to
some of them. Inexpensive, great atmosphere (ambience as opposed to air
quality), great music. So I just have to move to LA. Hmm...it could
happen.

JSJ1TG, finally finding the LA in the LA LA LA LA...

Jeffrey Johnson

Aug 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/27/96

On 27 Aug 1996, Amy Ashton wrote:

> JSJ1TG said:
>
> >Amy Ashkenazy wrote:
>
> You have no idea how flattered I am, but I'm afraid I
> don't have the hair to be a great conductor. Don't get
> me wrong, my hair is nice and all, but it just don't have
> that *flair* it needs to be one of the Great Ones.

Well, you could always try Finesse. Or Brylcreem. Or sticking your
tongue in a live light socket (tastes like strawberries, kiddies!)
The conductor here at Davis has got the whole hair even bigger than the
ego thing going. We really wanted to kidnap him, drug him, and shave his
head for the final concert before we graduated, but the logistics were
just too difficult. Maybe I should have called in the 'Rescue Clarinda'
crack team...

JSJ 'Alright, who can supply the tranquilizer gun?' 1TG

Carl D. Burke

Aug 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/27/96

Amy Ashton wrote:

> JSJ1TG said:
>
> >Amy Ashkenazy wrote:
>
> You have no idea how flattered I am, but I'm afraid I
> don't have the hair to be a great conductor. Don't get
> me wrong, my hair is nice and all, but it just don't have
> that *flair* it needs to be one of the Great Ones.

Er, how about one of the Great Old Ones?

*ow!*

> Saaay! A classical music theme park! I like it! We could have
> the "ODe to Joy" log flumes, the "Firebird" roller coaster, strolling
> cellists...

"Ride of the Valkyries" Viking longship?
"Night on Bald Mountain" Whack-A-Mole?
"Bolero" spinning teacups?

Quick, thaw Uncle Walt!

--
Barcode

Jeffrey Johnson

Aug 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/27/96

"March to the Scaffold" Bungee Jumping,
The English History Theme Museum, graced by Chopin's Polonaise in A Flat
Major,
Oboeland,
"Mars, Bringer Of War" bumper cars,
And, of course, to decrease line length and increase indigestion, all
eateries will be incessantly blasted with "Flight of the Bumblebee"...

> Quick, thaw Uncle Walt!

JSJ 'Strolling CELLISTS?!?' 1TG

Doug Elrod

Aug 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/27/96

In article <4vftcf$m...@news.duke.edu>, she...@acpub.duke.edu (Sheryl
Gere) wrote:

> In article <4ve9p5$6...@epx.cis.umn.edu>,
> Katherine L. Harris <Art...@aol.com> wrote:
> >cm...@midway.uchicago.edu (Christine Malcom) wrote:

> >> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

> >>Dammit, Sheryl, you're the first person who's posted people I even
*recognize*
> >>and I happen to like almost all of the same. I need for you to marry me.
> >
> >I like them too! Wanna make it a three?
>
> Hmmm, this is turning into a group thing....
> Not that there's anything wrong with that<g>
Hey, can I also join the Sheryl Gere Musical Style Association? Aka
"The Association"? :-) I have only one question, who is
this Christine Lavin that I keep hearing about?
-Doug Elrod (dr...@cornell.edu)
Re: Chicago (Everyone knows it's windy!)

It is loading more messages.