The Spirit of Newsgroups Past

Derek Janssen

Aug 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/10/97

Bill Livingston wrote:

> So my ISP added a bunch of new groups the other day, and guess what one of
> them was?
>
> Rec.Arts.TV.MST3K
>
> Yep, the precursor to RATMM & RATMA, which I long since thought abandoned
> and boarded up, has been added as a *new* newsgroup. And I've actually seen
> a couple of posts there, one of which was about MST!!

And wanna bet N*ur*n's still posting?...

Derek Janssen
dja...@ultranet.com

Bill Livingston

Aug 11, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/11/97

So my ISP added a bunch of new groups the other day, and guess what one of
them was?

Rec.Arts.TV.MST3K

Yep, the precursor to RATMM & RATMA, which I long since thought abandoned
and boarded up, has been added as a *new* newsgroup. And I've actually seen
a couple of posts there, oneof which was about MST!!

Apparently, the rmgroup didn't take.

Bill L.
Blast from the Past
bi...@Traveller.COM http://www.hsv.tis.net/~bill
Best if Used by Date on Label

Bill Livingston

Aug 11, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/11/97

Previously on "Rescue 911", Derek Janssen wrote:

>Bill Livingston wrote:
>>So my ISP added a bunch of new groups the other day, and guess what one of
>>them was?
>>
>>Rec.Arts.TV.MST3K
>>
>>Yep, the precursor to RATMM & RATMA, which I long since thought abandoned
>>and boarded up, has been added as a *new* newsgroup. And I've actually seen
>>a couple of posts there, one of which was about MST!!
>
>And wanna bet N*ur*n's still posting?...

Ahhhhhhh! Don't say the word! You tryin' to jinx us?

Bill L.
Now I have to sleep with the lights on again! 8-]

Mike Sphar

Aug 12, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/12/97

Did Ancient Astronauts named bi...@Traveller.COM (Bill Livingston) once
write the following? Read the book:

>Yep, the precursor to RATMM & RATMA, which I long since thought abandoned
>and boarded up, has been added as a *new* newsgroup. And I've actually seen
>a couple of posts there, oneof which was about MST!!
>
>Apparently, the rmgroup didn't take.

It's up to each individual news server's admins whether they choose to
honor any rmgroup message, so there are always servers around that still
carry dead groups.

Mikey "Dreamy" Sphar mailto:mi...@matches.com
Casa de Miguelito is BACK at http://www.geocities.com/SouthBeach/Sands/5882
Powerful like a gorilla, but soft and yielding like a nerf ball

Bill Livingston

Aug 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/13/97

Previously on "Hollywood Squares", Mike Sphar (mi...@matches.com) says...

>Did Ancient Astronauts named bi...@Traveller.COM (Bill Livingston) once
>write the following? Read the book:
>>Yep, the precursor to RATMM & RATMA, which I long since thought abandoned
>>and boarded up, has been added as a *new* newsgroup. And I've actually
>>seen a couple of posts there, oneof which was about MST!!
>>
>>Apparently, the rmgroup didn't take.
>
>It's up to each individual news server's admins whether they choose to
>honor any rmgroup message, so there are always servers around that still
>carry dead groups.

I know. I just found it odd that some 2 years after the fact, it would just
suddenly appear (as a new group, no less) out of the ether again.

Bill L.
Easily Amused

Jennifer Corley

Aug 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/17/97

In article <5smdvt$9t8$4...@tsunami.traveller.com>, bi...@Traveller.COM
says...

>So my ISP added a bunch of new groups the other day, and guess what one
of
>them was?
>
>Rec.Arts.TV.MST3K
>
>Yep, the precursor to RATMM & RATMA, which I long since thought
abandoned
>and boarded up, has been added as a *new* newsgroup. And I've actually
seen
>a couple of posts there, oneof which was about MST!!
>
>Apparently, the rmgroup didn't take.
>
>Bill L.
>Blast from the Past

Woo hoo, long live ratm!

EvilJen, because I mean, ratm is much easier to say than ratmm.

Norb42

Aug 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/19/97

Last week on "Daria", EvilJen wrote:

>Woo hoo, long live ratm!
>
>EvilJen, because I mean, ratm is much easier to say than ratmm.

True. How does one pronounce "ratmm", anyway? I've been trying and
trying, and all I get is a badly knotted tongue. Then people give me that
look . . . you know . . . the pitying one.

Norb

Jess Nevins

Aug 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/19/97

I always pronounce it "rat-em."

jess

ja...@concentric.removeme.net

Aug 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/19/97

Jess Nevins <jjne...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

: jess

Cursed infidel! The only true pronunciation is "rat-mum". How do you
butter your bread? (.25 pt)

--
Jeffrey Johnson
ja...@concentric.removeme.net

Bill Livingston

Aug 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/19/97

Previously on "Reading Rainbow", Jess Nevins wrote:
>Norb42 wrote:
>> Last week on "Daria", EvilJen wrote:
>> >Woo hoo, long live ratm!
>> >
>> >EvilJen, because I mean, ratm is much easier to say than ratmm.
>>
>> True. How does one pronounce "ratmm", anyway? I've been trying and
>> trying, and all I get is a badly knotted tongue. Then people give me that
>> look . . . you know . . . the pitying one.
>
>I always pronounce it "rat-em."

I always thought RATM was "rat-em" (son of Jor-Em), and RATMM was "rat-em-em".

The announce group, of course, (RATMA) is "rat-ma", which sounds like someone
doing a bad Jimmy Cagney impression.

Bill L.
Yankee Doodle Dandy

Judith Jacobs

Aug 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/19/97

nor...@aol.com (Norb42) wrote:
>Last week on "Daria", EvilJen wrote:
>>
>>Woo hoo, long live ratm!

>>EvilJen, because I mean, ratm is much easier to say than ratmm.
>
>True. How does one pronounce "ratmm", anyway? I've been trying and
>trying, and all I get is a badly knotted tongue. Then people give me >that look . . . you know . . . the pitying one.

You mean that look that people give you when they ask you what ratmm
stands for and you say that the first m is MST3K and you have to
explain what *that* stands for and what the program is and you notice
that their eyes have started glazing but you doggedly keep explaining
and then they start looking at their watch as your explanation lamely
tails off and they've already begun edging away from you, saying,
"well, nice seeing you, gotta run"? THAT look?

--Judith, losing what few friends she had.

Noah Singman

Aug 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/19/97

Norb42 wrote:

> True. How does one pronounce "ratmm", anyway?[respectful snippage]

I and my beauteous and oft-praised Jungle Goddess always pronounce it as
"Rat Mam."

Noah
MST#59539
R-A-TMM, R-A-TMM, R-A-TMM and Rat Mam was it's name-o. :-)

Kevin Mowery

Aug 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/19/97

Norb42 (nor...@aol.com) wrote:
: Last week on "Daria", EvilJen wrote:
: >
: >Woo hoo, long live ratm!
: >
: >EvilJen, because I mean, ratm is much easier to say than ratmm.

: True. How does one pronounce "ratmm", anyway? I've been trying and

: trying, and all I get is a badly knotted tongue. Then people give me that
: look . . . you know . . . the pitying one.

Throatwobbler Mangrove.

: Norb
--
Kevin "Professor Bobo" Mowery________...@freenet.columbus.oh.us
"This candy has made a reproduction of the nice flavor and rich taste of

Jess Nevins

Aug 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/19/97

Bill Livingston wrote:

> Previously on "Reading Rainbow", Jess Nevins wrote:
> >Norb42 wrote:

> >> True. How does one pronounce "ratmm", anyway? I've been trying and
> >> trying, and all I get is a badly knotted tongue. Then people give me that
> >> look . . . you know . . . the pitying one.
> >
> >I always pronounce it "rat-em."
>
> I always thought RATM was "rat-em" (son of Jor-Em), and RATMM was "rat-em-em".

You will bow down before me, Son of Jor-Em - you, and one day your
heirs!
(i.e., dibs on bh's kid!)

I run the two ms together when I say "RATMM."

jess

Steven Thorpe a.k.a. thor

Aug 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/19/97

In article <5td18e$c9l$3...@newbabylon.rs.itd.umich.edu>

Judith Jacobs <jaco...@engin.umich.edu> writes:

>You mean that look that people give you when they ask you what ratmm
>stands for and you say that the first m is MST3K and you have to
>explain what *that* stands for and what the program is and you notice
>that their eyes have started glazing but you doggedly keep explaining
>and then they start looking at their watch as your explanation lamely
>tails off and they've already begun edging away from you, saying,
>"well, nice seeing you, gotta run"? THAT look?
>--Judith, losing what few friends she had.

Wow, Judith, you mean they let you get that far into your rap?
What do you do? Hypnotize them?

SLEEEEEP! I'd like to take this opportunity to explain a little something
about a very special newsgroup that I am involved with. What? No Ma'am,
there's absolutly *no* truth to any rumors about sexually mistreated
llamas (cough *BREASTS* cough cough). RATMM is a fun loving group of . . .
What's that, Ma'am? Oh. You heard about jess, thor, the llama, and the lime
jello pit, eh? Well, Ma'am, they were *severely* punished for that little prank
and banned . . . Yes, Ma'am, I realize that they *liked* the punishment . . .
If you could maybe just take some of our literature home with . . . Ma'am?
Hello?

--thor (Somethings just have to be experienced first hand.)

Norb42

Aug 20, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/20/97

>>True. How does one pronounce "ratmm", anyway? I've been trying and
>>trying, and all I get is a badly knotted tongue. Then people give me
>that
>look . . . you know . . . the pitying one.
>
>You mean that look that people give you when they ask you what ratmm
>stands for and you say that the first m is MST3K and you have to
>explain what *that* stands for and what the program is and you notice
>that their eyes have started glazing but you doggedly keep explaining
>and then they start looking at their watch as your explanation lamely
>tails off and they've already begun edging away from you, saying,
>"well, nice seeing you, gotta run"? THAT look?

Yeah, that's the one. Except I always waste a couple of extra seconds
trying to figure out which sounds less pitiful: to refer to the show by
its nifty acronym (geeks love acronyms), or try to spit out the entire
title in one breath.

And of course, when you're trying to describe a RATMM discussion about the
MST3K treatment of TISCWSL&BM-UZ, well, my friends, you see some serious
smiling and backing away.

Norb
Helping children through research and development.

TCurryFan

Aug 20, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/20/97

"tho...@csulb.edu (Steven Thorpe a.k.a. thor)" said:

>SLEEEEEP! I'd like to take this opportunity to explain a little
>something about a very special newsgroup that I am involved
>with. What? No Ma'am, there's absolutly *no* truth to any rumors
>about sexually mistreated llamas (cough *BREASTS* cough
>cough). RATMM is a fun loving group of . . . What's that, Ma'am?
>Oh. You heard about jess, thor, the llama, and the lime jello pit,
>eh? Well, Ma'am, they were *severely* punished for that little
>prank and banned . . . Yes, Ma'am, I realize that they *liked* the
>punishment . . . If you could maybe just take some of our
>literature home with . . . Ma'am?
>Hello?
>
>--thor (Somethings just have to be experienced first hand.)

Thor- RATMM Recruiter!
Oh, and btw...
<BLOUNGIE!>

"For cryin' out loud... EACH... OF... YOU... WILL... ENTER... A... SPACE... CAPSULE!!"
-Tom Servo, _Mystery_Science_Theater_3000_, "Prince of Space"
Catherine Johnson ---------- MiSTie #75,125 ---------- TCur...@aol.com

Kevin Mowery

Aug 20, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/20/97

Norb42 (nor...@aol.com) wrote:

: And of course, when you're trying to describe a RATMM discussion about the

: MST3K treatment of TISCWSL&BM-UZ, well, my friends, you see some serious
: smiling and backing away.

Tisk-Wuzzle-Bum-Uzz. What's wrong with that?

: Norb

: Helping children through research and development.

ja...@concentric.removeme.net

Aug 20, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/20/97

Jello <je...@cc.gatech.edu> wrote:
: ja...@concentric.removeme.net wrote:

: : Cursed infidel! The only true pronunciation is "rat-mum". How do you

: : butter your bread? (.25 pt)

: this is a test of the emergency guessing system.

: 'The Butter Battle Book?'

: This concludes ur test of the emergency guessing system.

Correct, sir! Butter and oobleck...mmmm....

--
Jeffrey Johnson
ja...@concentric.removeme.net

Steven Thorpe a.k.a. thor

Aug 20, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/20/97

tcur...@aol.com (TCurryFan) writes:
>"tho...@csulb.edu (Steven Thorpe a.k.a. thor)" said:

>>SLEEEEEP! I'd like to take this opportunity to explain a little
>>something about a very special newsgroup that I am involved
>>with. What? No Ma'am, there's absolutly *no* truth to any rumors
>>about sexually mistreated llamas (cough *BREASTS* cough
>>cough). RATMM is a fun loving group of . . . What's that, Ma'am?
>>Oh. You heard about jess, thor, the llama, and the lime jello pit,
>>eh? Well, Ma'am, they were *severely* punished for that little
>>prank and banned . . . Yes, Ma'am, I realize that they *liked* the
>>punishment . . . If you could maybe just take some of our
>>literature home with . . . Ma'am?
>>Hello?

>>--thor (Somethings just have to be experienced first hand.)

>Thor- RATMM Recruiter!
>Oh, and btw...
><BLOUNGIE!>

<Dr. F & Larry>

Why, *Thank* you!

</Dr. F. & Larry>

--thor (I will proudly wear the after effects of my Bloungie *well* into
the evening.)

Noah Singman

Aug 20, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/20/97

Chris Gleason wrote:

> Noah Singman wrote in article <33FA84...@idt.net>...

> > I and my beauteous and oft-praised Jungle Goddess always pronounce it
> > as "Rat Mam."

> Why does it not surprise me, Noah, that you would put the first
> syllable of "mammaries" into the name of this newsgroup? Sure, it fits
> and all, but considering the source....

Actually, I think Connie taught me this pronunciation. So there! :-)

> Then again, that just brought about the whole weird area of rodent
> mammaries. You may want to reconsider your pronunciation.

Good point - no rishathra here.

> I prefer RAT-Umm, myself. Not STEAK-Umm, but an incredible simulation!

Hey, whatever butters your biscuit. :-)

Noah
MST#59539
I yield to the more senior regulars for their pronunciation . . .

Jello

Aug 20, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/20/97

ja...@concentric.removeme.net wrote:

: Cursed infidel! The only true pronunciation is "rat-mum". How do you
: butter your bread? (.25 pt)

this is a test of the emergency guessing system.

'The Butter Battle Book?'

This concludes ur test of the emergency guessing system.

: Jeffrey Johnson

____ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ____
Jello aka Aron Craig Anime Otekku Treasurer
je...@felix.cc.gatech.edu CS Freakboy #946*E^24
www.prism.gatech.edu/~gt5568a/ao A.I.D.S. Member #138
www.photobooks.com/~jello/tailor.html MSTie #59744
____ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ____

Jello

Aug 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/21/97

Steven Thorpe a.k.a. thor (tho...@csulb.edu) wrote:

: SLEEEEEP! I'd like to take this opportunity to explain a little something

: about a very special newsgroup that I am involved with. What? No Ma'am,
: there's absolutly *no* truth to any rumors about sexually mistreated
: llamas (cough *BREASTS* cough cough). RATMM is a fun loving group of . . .
: What's that, Ma'am? Oh. You heard about jess, thor, the llama, and the lime
: jello pit, eh? Well, Ma'am, they were *severely* punished for that little prank
: and banned . . . Yes, Ma'am, I realize that they *liked* the punishment . . .
: If you could maybe just take some of our literature home with . . . Ma'am?
: Hello?

For the last time, i am NOT lime.

: --thor (Somethings just have to be experienced first hand.)

Chris Gleason

Aug 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/21/97

Noah Singman wrote in article <33FBBD...@idt.net>...

>> Why does it not surprise me, Noah, that you would put the first
>> syllable of "mammaries" into the name of this newsgroup? Sure, it fits
>> and all, but considering the source....
>
>Actually, I think Connie taught me this pronunciation. So there! :-)

What? You DENY having an association with something closely breast-related?
I'm... I'm stunned! My entire perception of reality is crashing down around
me... AAAAUUUUUUUGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH!!!

>> Then again, that just brought about the whole weird area of rodent
>> mammaries. You may want to reconsider your pronunciation.
>
>Good point - no rishathra here.

Oh, for a personal copy of the OED....

>> I prefer RAT-Umm, myself. Not STEAK-Umm, but an incredible simulation!
>
>Hey, whatever butters your biscuit. :-)

Mmmmm... buttered biscuit and STEAK-Umm... aaaaauuuuurrrrlllllgggghhhhh....

Damn... I knew I should have had breakfast this morning.

Rassafrassin' alarm didn't go off....,

Chris Gleason -- The Best Kisser in the Universe!
Baseball fiend, game show junkie, doughy guy.

MSTie #66772 chris...@aol.com

CHECK OUT MY E-COLUMN!
http://members.aol.com/chrisglson/sftg.html

Noah Singman

Aug 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/21/97

Chris Gleason wrote:

> Noah Singman wrote:
> > Actually, I think Connie taught me this pronunciation. So there! :-)

> What? You DENY having an association with something closely
> breast-related? I'm... I'm stunned! My entire perception of reality is
> crashing down around me... AAAAUUUUUUUGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH!!!

Chris, I've told you again and again about leaving crashing reality
detritus all over the newsgroup. Now just pick it up, or no Ayn Rand for
three months! :-)

> > Good point - no rishathra here.

> Oh, for a personal copy of the OED....

You'd be better off with a personal copy of Larry Niven's "Ringworld."
The first time I saw the word (and a definition - it means having sex
outside your species) was in that book. I believe Niven made it up, but
I don't know for certain.

Noah
MST#59539
Maybe they'll use it on "Perversions of Science." :-)

Chris Gleason

Aug 22, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/22/97

Noah Singman wrote in article <33FD12...@idt.net>...

>> What? You DENY having an association with something closely
>> breast-related? I'm... I'm stunned! My entire perception of reality is
>> crashing down around me... AAAAUUUUUUUGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH!!!
>
>Chris, I've told you again and again about leaving crashing reality
>detritus all over the newsgroup. Now just pick it up, or no Ayn Rand for
>three months! :-)

Awwwww... Uncle Noooooooaaaaaaaah! *pout*

*While picking up the shattered remainders of his perception of reality, he
starts singing*

o/~ When I look back on all the crap I learned in high school
It's a wonder I can think at all
And all my lack of education hasn't hurt me none
I can read the writing on the wall

_Atlas Shrugged_ builds those strong foundations
It gives us the green of money
Makes you think all the world's a den of thieves, oh yeah
I got some Reardon Metal
I love to make tons of cash
Oh Noah, don't take my _Atlas Shrugged_ away o/~

>> > Good point - no rishathra here.
>
>> Oh, for a personal copy of the OED....
>
>You'd be better off with a personal copy of Larry Niven's "Ringworld."

Thank you so bloody much. Now I'll have to add it to page 4,072 of my
reading backlog.

>The first time I saw the word (and a definition - it means having sex
>outside your species) was in that book.

Do you believe in *pant, pant* interspecies dating?
(2-pt. ref)

> I believe Niven made it up, but
>I don't know for certain.

I suppose that the simpler term "bestiality" just wouldn't apply, given the
context?

>Noah
>MST#59539
>Maybe they'll use it on "Perversions of Science." :-)

I don't see why. It seems to me that one James T. Kirk spent a good portion
of his time participating in rishathra, and nobody called him a pervert!

Though all his co-participants
were strangely humanoid,

Noah Singman

Aug 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/23/97

Chris Gleason wrote:

> Noah wrote:
> > Chris, I've told you again and again about leaving crashing reality
> > detritus all over the newsgroup. Now just pick it up, or no Ayn Rand
> > for three months! :-)

> Awwwww... Uncle Noooooooaaaaaaaah! *pout*

Sorry, young man - it's for your own good. You'll thank me later
(probably when I'm dead, but you'll thank me). :-)

> _Atlas Shrugged_ builds those strong foundations
> It gives us the green of money
> Makes you think all the world's a den of thieves, oh yeah
> I got some Reardon Metal
> I love to make tons of cash
> Oh Noah, don't take my _Atlas Shrugged_ away o/~

Very cute. Keep up the good work, and you'll be reading again in no
time.

> Thank you so bloody much. Now I'll have to add it to page 4,072 of my
> reading backlog.

Oh, let it jump the queue - it's worth it, if you like hard SF.

> I suppose that the simpler term "bestiality" just wouldn't apply, given
> the context?

Kind of insulting to humanoids, I'd think. :-)

> I don't see why. It seems to me that one James T. Kirk spent a good
> portion of his time participating in rishathra, and nobody called him a
> pervert!

Oh, I'm sure some did (and don't forget Eddie Murphy's line about Kirk
and the "green b*tch").

Noah
MST#59539
Imagine if Kirk had a holodeck . . .

Derek Janssen

Aug 28, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/28/97

Chris Gleason wrote:

> >> I don't see why. It seems to me that one James T. Kirk spent a good
> >> portion of his time participating in rishathra, and nobody called him a
> >> pervert!
> >
> >Oh, I'm sure some did (and don't forget Eddie Murphy's line about Kirk
> >and the "green b*tch").
>
> I probably wouldn't forget it, if I'd ever heard it in the first place. d;-)

> >Imagine if Kirk had a holodeck . . .

And, of course, don't forget McCoy's line from "Star Trek VI" (after
seeing Kirk kiss sexy Iman alien):
"...What IS it with you, anyway??"

Derek Janssen
dja...@ultranet.com

Chris Gleason

Aug 28, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/28/97

Sparky Mueller wrote in article <34023613...@news.sprynet.com>...

>in message <87227432...@optional.cts.com>, "Chris Gleason"
><ro...@127.0.0.1> brought her and/or his evil here by writing:

I'm a "his." Either that, or my goatee is giving me misinformation. d:-{)>

*checks driver's license*

Nope. I'm a "his."

And I don't know why it took five days for your message to arrive, but it
finally got here, and that's what really counts, isn't it?

[RISHATHRA]

>>>I believe Niven made it up, but I don't know for certain.
>>

>>I suppose that the simpler term "bestiality" just wouldn't apply, given
the
>>context?
>

>Noah misused the word rishathra.

<*POP*>

Excuse me. My head just exploded. *Noah* misused a word? Better read up
on my Revelations.

> It refers to sex within the hominids,
>but outside one's species. In real life, all the hominids are of the
>species Homo Sapiens, so it's a pretty useless word.

Although some of the RATMMites here might be interested in a Homo
Erectus....

I loved my old Anthropology classes,

Noah Singman

Aug 28, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/28/97

Sparky Mueller wrote:

> Noah misused the word rishathra. It refers to sex within the hominids,

> but outside one's species. In real life, all the hominids are of the
> species Homo Sapiens, so it's a pretty useless word.

It wouldn't be the first time I've misused a word, but could you tell me
where he restricts it to hominids (this is not a sarcastic question,
Phil; I just don't remember it)?

> On the fictitious Ringworld there are several hominid species, and the
> word has applicability. Since most of the hominid species are
> sentient, it has a connotation different from "bestiality."

Oh, I certainly agree with this.

Noah
MST#59539
After I finish with the posts, I'm going to dig up Ringworld. It's been
too long . . .

David Anderson

Aug 29, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/29/97

Fairly reliable sources inform me that Noah Singman wrote:

>Sparky Mueller wrote:
>
>>Noah misused the word rishathra. It refers to sex within the hominids,
>>but outside one's species.
>

>It wouldn't be the first time I've misused a word, but could you tell me
>where he restricts it to hominids (this is not a sarcastic question,
>Phil; I just don't remember it)?

IIRC (if I knew where my copies were offhand, I'd look it up and be
definite), rishathra (I don't believe the term was actually coined
until THE RINGWORLD ENGINEERS) IS clearly defined as being "within
the hominids" in the glossaries of both THE RINGWORLD ENGINEERS and
THE RINGWORLD THRONE.

--
========*Opinions expressed here are mine and mine alone. Deal with it.*========
* David Anderson * lando5<at>thecia<dot>net * web location forthcoming *

Sparky Mueller

Aug 29, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/29/97

in message <3408d125...@snews2.zippo.com>,
lan...@hadituptoherewithspam.com (David Anderson) brought her and/or his
evil here by writing:

>Fairly reliable sources inform me that Sparky Mueller wrote:
>
>>(example: Schlock, whose mother had a iron-based respiratory system and
>>whose father had a copper-based respiratory system)
>
>Minor point, Sparky...I think you mean their circulatory systems. As far
>as respiration goes, Vulcans generally breathe the same atmosphere as
>humans, although the oxygen mix on the homeworld is somewhat leaner.

The technical definition of respiration is the entire process whereby
oxygen brought into the tissues, and the oxidation products (carbon
dioxide and water) are removed.

Circulatory refers to the process by which nutrients (including glucose
and oxygen) are brought to the cells, and waste products are moved to
the excretory organs.

So I don't think either of us used our respective terms precisely right.

--
Warning: Phil "Sparky" Mueller (pamu...@sprynet.com) has a rather
cavalier attitude toward the truth.

Bill Livingston

Aug 30, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/30/97

Previously on "Deep Spice Nine", David Anderson says...

>Fairly reliable sources inform me that Sparky Mueller wrote:
>
>>(example: Schlock, whose mother had a iron-based respiratory system and
>>whose father had a copper-based respiratory system)
>
>Minor point, Sparky...I think you mean their circulatory systems. As far
>as respiration goes, Vulcans generally breathe the same atmosphere as
>humans, although the oxygen mix on the homeworld is somewhat leaner.

Well, sure, that's why they developed the ears in that shape, so that
they would be able to better captue sound waves travelling throught the
thinner atmospherics.

Should I be disturbed that I know so much psuedo-biology, but
can't remember which side my own appendix is on?

Bill L.
Remind me to tell you what I once read about Vulcan urine - ewwww!

Noah Singman

Aug 30, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/30/97

Bill Livingston wrote:

> Should I be disturbed that I know so much psuedo-biology, but can't
> remember which side my own appendix is on?

Unless it's been removed, it's in the lower right quadrant of your
abdominal cavity. Alternatively, if you have that rare condition in
which the organs are inverted, it would be in the lower left quadrant.

Noah
MST#59539
My appendix and I parted company in 1974 . . .

Jess Nevins

Aug 31, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/31/97

Currie1501 wrote:

> A wise bi...@traveler.com (Bill Livingston) once said:
> >Previously on "Deep Spice Nine", David Anderson says...

> >>Minor point, Sparky...I think you mean their circulatory systems. As far
> >>as respiration goes, Vulcans generally breathe the same atmosphere as
> >>humans, although the oxygen mix on the homeworld is somewhat leaner.
> >
> >Well, sure, that's why they developed the ears in that shape, so that
> >they would be able to better captue sound waves travelling throught the
> >thinner atmospherics.
> >
> >Should I be disturbed that I know so much psuedo-biology, but
> >can't remember which side my own appendix is on?
>
> I'm kinda disturbed that something could get this OTP... no offense, but
> shouldn't this be more appropiate for endless alt.startrek debates?

As I myself was recently reminded, there ain't no such animal as an OTP
here on RATMM.

jess

Mike Sphar

Aug 31, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/31/97

Did Ancient Astronauts named pamu...@sprynet.com (Sparky Mueller) once
write the following? Read the book:

>The technical definition of respiration is the entire process whereby
>oxygen brought into the tissues, and the oxidation products (carbon
>dioxide and water) are removed.
>
>Circulatory refers to the process by which nutrients (including glucose
>and oxygen) are brought to the cells, and waste products are moved to
>the excretory organs.
>
>So I don't think either of us used our respective terms precisely right.

Let's just say they have a copper-based hematology.

Mikey "Dreamy" Sphar MSTie# 24294 mi...@matches.com
Sun-certified Solaris 2.X Administrator - Microsoft-certified NT Specialist
Pub-certified Beer Enthusiast
http://www.geocities.com/SouthBeach/Sands/5882

Noah Singman

Sep 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/1/97

Jess Nevins wrote:

> Sparky Mueller wrote:
> > I thought Spock had his ears that shape so Gene Rodenberry could make
> > a comment on Christian mythology.

> No, no, no - they're his prosthetic mechanical rice-pickers.

Why, Jess! And here I thought you didn't like Harlan Ellison's work.
:-)

Noah
MST#59539
Although, according to Harlan . . . :-)

Sparky Mueller

Sep 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/1/97

in message <5u7scl$bik$1...@tsunami.traveller.com>, bi...@Traveller.COM
(Bill Livingston) brought her and/or his evil here by writing:

>Well, sure, that's why they developed the ears in that shape, so that
>they would be able to better captue sound waves travelling throught the
>thinner atmospherics.

I thought Spock had his ears that shape so Gene Rodenberry could make a
comment on Christian mythology.

Jess Nevins

Sep 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/1/97

Noah Singman wrote:

> Jess Nevins wrote:
>
> > Sparky Mueller wrote:

> > > I thought Spock had his ears that shape so Gene Rodenberry could make
> > > a comment on Christian mythology.
>

> > No, no, no - they're his prosthetic mechanical rice-pickers.
>
> Why, Jess! And here I thought you didn't like Harlan Ellison's work.
> :-)

I'm the Ellison fan, remember? :-)

Actually, like Harly, I much prefer his version to what was eventually
aired.

jess

Jess Nevins

Sep 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/1/97