Mike Nelson signing event over. Good time had by all.

Bkwm25

Apr 17, 2002, 4:22:41 PM4/17/02
There were probably about 35 people all told--not bad for a Wednesday noon-time
thing. He read a few of the essays out loud--'A Panegyric to Meat,' 'A Very
Unhealthy Club,' and 'Tea, You Should Be Leaving Now.' One young woman, named
Melissa, got the dubious honor of being in the hot seat--seated right across
from him, and answering in the affermative when he asked who in the crowd was
vegetarian. She got quite a bit of ribbing from him--mainly because he was
trying to kill a bit of time. He then answered a few questions. Here's what I
remember:

1. No new 'Edward the Less' in the works. The guy who got them hired for the
original gig got fired.

2. He saw one movie with Kevin Murphy in Kevin's movie-watching work. 'Corky
Romano,' believe it or not. He said they both wept.

3. He's currently working on a novel, which should be finished fairly soon.

4. He and some other ex-MST3K people are sorta talking about a few projects,
but it's all very vague-ish.

Signing of books, and a few pictures, followed. Briget Jones stopped by right
at the end. What else...well, he was dressed very casually--plain blue
t-shirt, blue jeans, and sandals. People definitely seemed to enjoy the essays
he read. And one couple drove all the way from Chicago for it. And I'm
kicking myself for not bringing my own camera to finish off the roll of film in
there and have a picture of him to scan and post. Sorry.

Sarah "Bookworm" Heiner
http://www.geocities.com/bookworm1225

Cap'n Twill

Apr 17, 2002, 10:18:44 PM4/17/02
Bookworm wrote:

> There were probably about 35 people all told--not bad for a Wednesday
> noon-time thing. He read a few of the essays out loud--'A Panegyric
> to Meat,' 'A Very Unhealthy Club,' and 'Tea, You Should Be Leaving
> Now.' One young woman, named Melissa, got the dubious honor of being
> in the hot seat--seated right across from him, and answering in the
> affermative when he asked who in the crowd was vegetarian. She got
> quite a bit of ribbing from him--mainly because he was trying to kill
> a bit of time. He then answered a few questions. Here's what I
> remember:
>
> 1. No new 'Edward the Less' in the works. The guy who got them hired
> for the original gig got fired.
>
> 2. He saw one movie with Kevin Murphy in Kevin's movie-watching work.
> 'Corky Romano,' believe it or not. He said they both wept.
>
> 3. He's currently working on a novel, which should be finished fairly
> soon.
>
> 4. He and some other ex-MST3K people are sorta talking about a few
> projects, but it's all very vague-ish.

With odd hand gestures, even.

I wish I could remember that much, though I do recall thinking that the
crowd seemed to typify "quiet midwesterners."

Well, until the blades came out.

> Signing of books, and a few pictures, followed. Briget Jones stopped
> by right at the end. What else...well, he was dressed very
> casually--plain blue t-shirt, blue jeans, and sandals. People
> definitely seemed to enjoy the essays he read. And one couple drove
> all the way from Chicago for it. And I'm kicking myself for not
> bringing my own camera to finish off the roll of film in there and
> have a picture of him to scan and post. Sorry.

I would volunteer photos, but I, too, must be kicked for not bringing a
camera.

Now, how many of those people actually were playing hooky from work, and
not just foolin'?

Cap'n Twill

Hmm, this just might be the most exciting thing that's ever happened to me.

Jeffrey Johnson

Apr 18, 2002, 2:20:30 AM4/18/02
Embark, dear reader, on a tour of the wisdom of Cap'n Twill:

>Bookworm wrote:
>
>> There were probably about 35 people all told--not bad for a Wednesday
>> noon-time thing. He read a few of the essays out loud--'A Panegyric
>> to Meat,' 'A Very Unhealthy Club,' and 'Tea, You Should Be Leaving
>> Now.' One young woman, named Melissa, got the dubious honor of being
>> in the hot seat--seated right across from him, and answering in the
>> affermative when he asked who in the crowd was vegetarian. She got
>> quite a bit of ribbing from him--mainly because he was trying to kill
>> a bit of time. He then answered a few questions. Here's what I
>> remember:
>>
>> 1. No new 'Edward the Less' in the works. The guy who got them hired
>> for the original gig got fired.
>>
>> 2. He saw one movie with Kevin Murphy in Kevin's movie-watching work.
>> 'Corky Romano,' believe it or not. He said they both wept.
>>
>> 3. He's currently working on a novel, which should be finished fairly
>> soon.
>>
>> 4. He and some other ex-MST3K people are sorta talking about a few
>> projects, but it's all very vague-ish.
>
>With odd hand gestures, even.
>
>I wish I could remember that much, though I do recall thinking that the
>crowd seemed to typify "quiet midwesterners."
>
>Well, until the blades came out.

Amy Ashton?!? Where!?!

JSJ1TG, if old regulars never die, do they just become in-jokes?

"You also need to download THINGVIEWER, who comes in the
form of a giant SLOR!" - Rob, from the middle of a ramble.