Blood

Gabby

Jun 3, 2004, 7:16:41 PM6/3/04
I'm looking for a recipe for blood. We had been using one that calls for
peanut butter and corn syrup, but it was brought to my attention that our
venue is a 'peanut free' zone so must find another recipe. Any suggestions?

Gabby
Mokami Players

RJF

Jun 3, 2004, 7:35:06 PM6/3/04
a "peanut free" zone - can you please elaborate on that!

Cheers

Rob.

"Gabby" <Lavol...@msn.com> wrote in message

mrcheerful .

Jun 3, 2004, 7:37:01 PM6/3/04

"Gabby" <Lavol...@msn.com> wrote in message
a.. 2/3 cup Corn Syrup

b.. 1/3 cup Water

c.. 5 Tablespoons Corn Starch

d.. 3 to 5 Teaspoons Red Food Coloring

e.. 2 or 3 Drops Green Food Coloring

f.. 1 Drop Peppermint extract, if desired.

Mix the Corn starch thoroughly with the water. Add the Corn Syrup. Mix well.
Add red food coloring into the mixture, using only 3 tsp at first. Then add
a couple drops of green food coloring to take the 'pink' edge off the red
coloring. If the mixture is too light, add one or two teapoons more red food
coloring. Add an extra drop of green food coloring if the mixture gets too
pink again (Real blood is slightly on the dark red to reddish brown side,
when its not fresh from the heart). Add one drop of Peppermint extract if
you wish a fresh minty blood mixture. The concoction tastes quite pleasant,
and can be used as makeup or a "Glass of Wine" for your vampire to drink.

I've also been informed that Milk can be added (instead of or with the
cornstarch) to keep the blood from being too transparent. White glue was
also given as a suggestion, but if you go that route I wouldn't suggest
using the mixture on or in your mouth.

Gabby

Jun 3, 2004, 9:03:49 PM6/3/04

"RJF" <rob@_no*spAm_audiolight.co.uk> wrote in message

> a "peanut free" zone - can you please elaborate on that!
>
> Cheers
>
> Rob.

The schools have become "peanut free" due to students with serious peanut
allergies. Having a large amount of stage blood containing peanut butter
could mean a trip to the ER for some spectators, since smell alone can
trigger an anaphylactic reaction in the most sensitive allergic person.

Gabby

Gabby

Jun 3, 2004, 9:05:40 PM6/3/04

"mrcheerful ." <nbk...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

(snipped recipe)

Thank you very much for this recipe. Will use it next week in Little Shop
and then file it away for the next bloody production.

Gabby

Steven J. Weller

Jun 3, 2004, 9:34:37 PM6/3/04
In article <xCOvc.3720$8A5.38...@news-text.cableinet.net>,
"mrcheerful
." <nbk...@hotmail.com> wrote:

The recipies we use in film production has been around for years, and
works just as well on stage:

KARO BLOOD

1 gallon (8 pints) Karo syrup
(clear)
8 oz water
(distilled is best, any will work)
8 oz red liquid food color
(red #40 is best)
3-1/3 oz yellow liquid food color
(yellow #5 is common)
10 grams Methyl Parabin
(an optional preservative)
2 oz white liquid poster paint
(non-toxic, classroom grade)
6 oz concentrated clear liquid dish soap
-OR-
1/2 oz peppermint extract

Mix 1/2 pint of Karo with Methyl Parabin and beat until smooth. Add all
of the other ingredients (mint flavor for mouthsafe, dish soap for
non-mouthsafe) except for the remaining Karo, and mix thoroughly. If
using soap, mix by stirring rather than shaking, to prevent foaming.
Add mixture to the remaining Karo in a 1-1/2 gallon (minimum) container
(a clean bucket works well) and mix until even in color.

The soap prevents the blood from beading up on oily surfaces, but makes
it unsafe for mouth use. The mint flavor makes it easy to tell
mouthsafe and non-mouthsafe blood apart. Both formulas should be kept
out of the eyes, as they can irritate.

Refrigerate blood if stored for more than a few weeks. Stir well before
using, as the poster paint (an opacifier) can settle out.

Bulk Karo syrup, liquid food colors, peppermint extract, and food
preservatives are available in CA at Smart & Final.

METHOCEL BLOOD

1 gallon water
(distilled is best, any will work)
7.6 gr. (3-3/4 tsps) powdered red food color
(D&C red #33)
10.4 gr. (3 tsps) powdered yellow food color
(FD&C yellow #5)
17.7 gr. (8 tsps) Methocel J-75 MS
10 ml (2 tsps) - 15 ml (3 tsps) 27% ammonia

Mix all ingredients except ammonia.

Add 2 tsps ammonia and stir; the ammonia dissolves the coating on the
Methocel partcles and allows the mixture to thicken. If the mixture
seems too thin, add an additional teaspoon of 27% ammonia, but no more -
too much ammonia makes the mixture to alkaline for the skin to tolerate
without irritation.

Methocel blood stains and is NOT mouth safe, but the dry ingredients can
be packed and shipped conveniently if working in an area where Karo is
unavailable (like South America, Eastern Europe, and parts of the Far
East)

Methocel (premium grade methocellulose powder, treated) is available
from Dow Chemical, in Midland MI. (800) 258-CHEM Ask for their
'Handbook on Methocel

Powdered food colors are available from Warner Jenkins Co, in 1-pound
packages. Some colors require an extra packing fee for the small
quantity. (800) 325-8110. Branches in St. Louis, MO, Irvine, CA, and
Carlstat, NJ

--
Life Continues, Despite
Evidence to the Contrary

Steven

Brian Desmond

Jun 4, 2004, 12:51:54 AM6/4/04
Some people (well alot actually, it's pretty common) are allergic to peanuts
and other legumes (myself for example). It's often an allergy that kids are
born with and grow out of, or so I'm told (still waiting for it to happen).

I'm not *that* allergic (I get sick if I eat legumes/peanuts, can't breathe
too well), but some folks are in the ER steps from death. The smell bothers
me, but life goes on. Again, some folks end up in an ambulance fighting for
their life.

Brian Desmond
Windows Server MVP
desm...@payton.cps.k12.il.us

Http://www.briandesmond.com

Rich Williamson

Jun 4, 2004, 11:32:09 AM6/4/04
In article <10bvijn...@corp.supernews.com>,
"Gabby" <Lavol...@msn.com> wrote:

check the rats FAQ

lots of info on this

sarah thiboutot

Jun 5, 2004, 5:50:16 PM6/5/04
In article <10bvijn...@corp.supernews.com>, "Gabby"
<Lavol...@msn.com> wrote:

Are you serious? I lived on PB&J sandwiches in grammar school. It was
the only sandwich filling that my mom was convinced wouldn't go bad
sitting in my bag all day.

Gabby

Jun 5, 2004, 6:37:33 PM6/5/04

"sarah thiboutot" <sar...@mindspringspam.complaint> wrote in message

I know, so did my older son. But, around here, having one peanut allergic
child in the school system means that you are now forbidden to bring peanuts
into the high school, even if the allergic kid is in elementary school --
the rationale: get ready, he'll be here in a few years. But I suppose if
my kid could die from the smell of peanut butter being eaten by the kid in
the next seat, I too would want them to make his school peanut free.

I feel for the teachers though. Think about being a teacher with 4 or 5
epi-pens in your desk for the 4 or 5 students with serious allergies. You
hope you'll never have to use them.

Gabby

Torak

Jun 6, 2004, 8:13:12 AM6/6/04
Gabby wrote:
> "sarah thiboutot" <sar...@mindspringspam.complaint> wrote in message
>>
>>Are you serious? I lived on PB&J sandwiches in grammar school. It was
>>the only sandwich filling that my mom was convinced wouldn't go bad
>>sitting in my bag all day.
>
> I know, so did my older son. But, around here, having one peanut allergic
> child in the school system means that you are now forbidden to bring peanuts
> into the high school, even if the allergic kid is in elementary school --
> the rationale: get ready, he'll be here in a few years. But I suppose if
> my kid could die from the smell of peanut butter being eaten by the kid in
> the next seat, I too would want them to make his school peanut free.

I think a lot of the allergies could be got rid of by not being so
paranoid with kids; nowadays, everything's sterilised, they don't get
dirty, they get antibiotics as soon as they get a couch. If kids got out
more and ate grass every now and again (like in the olden days... ;-) I
suspect they'd be much better off.

Yes, some allergies are "real", but many, I'm sure, are just caused by a
lazy immune system.

Sandy

Jun 11, 2004, 8:29:04 PM6/11/04
Torak <and...@andrew-perry.com> wrote in message news:<40C30A01...@andrew-perry.com>...
> Gabby wrote:

> I think a lot of the allergies could be got rid of by not being so
> paranoid with kids; nowadays, everything's sterilised, they don't get
> dirty, they get antibiotics as soon as they get a couch. If kids got out
> more and ate grass every now and again (like in the olden days... ;-) I
> suspect they'd be much better off.
>
> Yes, some allergies are "real", but many, I'm sure, are just caused by a
> lazy immune system.

I'm not trying to be nasty to you but your post is ridiculous. I sure
hope if you ever have children that you don't end up getting Childrens
Protective services called on you.

I was a guest speaker at a school when my children were younger and a
young student was sitting next to someone who ate a peanut butter
sandwhich and his breath caused him to go into a near fatal
anaphalaxia shock, which basically means your lungs clog with fluid,
your blood pressure bottoms to nothing, and well, you mostly die
unless you get help right away.

And in the "olden days" that you refer to so highly, in the era before
antibiotics, it was common to have a large family lose almost half if
not more of their children by age 5. We've reduced mortality rates
with our new fangled drugs and cleansing habits.

It used to be common to die from not washing your hands, or to have
your life linger in the balance from someone who did not cover a
sneeze. And your comment about eating grass was cute, have you had any
lately? I know you're being silly in your post but I had to say
something on the off chance that you had a shred of seriousness to it.

So, back to the topic... peanut allergies and peanut free zones, they
are not that uncommon and they are to be taken seriously.

Peter

Jun 12, 2004, 12:57:43 PM6/12/04
Sandy wrote:

Having been a microbiologist in a former life, let me be a bit of a
referee in this one since there is a bit to be said in support of both
sides' points of view.

Sandy's points about the dangers of peanut allergies are absolutely
true. Once acquired, allergies can be life threatening. However, it
was never common to die from not washing your hands per se. Transferring
infective agents in surgery due to lack of hand washing was a problem
first systematically pointed out by Semmelweise and "solved" by Lister
with the introduction of carbolic acid and aseptic surgery.
Transferring infective agents via fecal/oral route by lack of hand
washing was (and still is) a common problem. On the other hand, most
people with healthy immune systems can tolerate a pretty good dose of
slovenliness with no ill effects.

Torak is wrong in that allergies are not caused by a "lazy" immune
system but rather by an over active or inappropriately active one. Once
hypersensitivity has been acquired the allergy is quite real. There are
some psychosomatic "allergies" which could arguably considered "not
real" (but you would get a pretty vigorous argument from the sufferer).
Where there is some truth in what he says is that the current
cleanliness paranoia is adversely affecting immune system development.
Current immunological surveys are pretty consistently showing that the
old adage about having to "eat a peck of dirt" have some truth in them.
Kids who are nor obsessively protected from their environment tend to
develop healthier immune systems. This seems to include both more
vigorous development of appropriate responses (like to pathogens) and
fewer inappropriate responses (like allergies)

--
Peter Herman
TD and Resident Designer

Torak

Jun 13, 2004, 9:14:10 PM6/13/04
Sandy wrote:
> Torak <and...@andrew-perry.com> wrote in message news:<40C30A01...@andrew-perry.com>...
>
>>I think a lot of the allergies could be got rid of by not being so
>>paranoid with kids; nowadays, everything's sterilised, they don't get
>>dirty, they get antibiotics as soon as they get a couch. If kids got out
>>more and ate grass every now and again (like in the olden days... ;-) I
>>suspect they'd be much better off.
>>
>>Yes, some allergies are "real", but many, I'm sure, are just caused by a
>>lazy immune system.
>
> I'm not trying to be nasty to you but your post is ridiculous. I sure
> hope if you ever have children that you don't end up getting Childrens
> Protective services called on you.

Unlikely.

> I was a guest speaker at a school when my children were younger and a
> young student was sitting next to someone who ate a peanut butter
> sandwhich and his breath caused him to go into a near fatal
> anaphalaxia shock, which basically means your lungs clog with fluid,
> your blood pressure bottoms to nothing, and well, you mostly die
> unless you get help right away.

Yes - that's why I said "many" rather than "most". Certainly nut
allergies are often - as far as I know - partly congenital, but a lot of
allergies are caused by poor immune systems.

> And in the "olden days" that you refer to so highly, in the era before
> antibiotics, it was common to have a large family lose almost half if
> not more of their children by age 5. We've reduced mortality rates
> with our new fangled drugs and cleansing habits.

I think you mean "that you refer to so jokingly". ;-)

And yes, I know. But allergies were less of a problem - maybe because
people didn't live long enough for them to show up, but still....

> It used to be common to die from not washing your hands, or to have
> your life linger in the balance from someone who did not cover a
> sneeze. And your comment about eating grass was cute, have you had any
> lately? I know you're being silly in your post but I had to say
> something on the off chance that you had a shred of seriousness to it.

The underlying sentiment was serious - poor immune systems being caused
by parents over-sterilising everything and pampering their kids too much
- but I agree, allergies and so on are a serious problem.

(And no, I haven't eaten any grass since I was one... I found it didn't
hold the vinegar properly.)

> So, back to the topic... peanut allergies and peanut free zones, they
> are not that uncommon and they are to be taken seriously.

Agreed. In fact, one of my friends is allergic to nuts of all kinds, and
she's coming to my birthday party on Friday, so because my favourite
cake is covered with marzipan I'm making an extra one for her; mocha,
and I've checked the recipe with her beforehand.

Torak

Jun 13, 2004, 9:19:15 PM6/13/04
Peter wrote:
>> Torak <and...@andrew-perry.com> wrote in message
>>
>>> I think a lot of the allergies could be got rid of by not being so
>>> paranoid with kids; nowadays, everything's sterilised, they don't get
>>> dirty, they get antibiotics as soon as they get a couch. If kids got
>>> out more and ate grass every now and again (like in the olden days...
>>> ;-) I suspect they'd be much better off.
>>>
>>> Yes, some allergies are "real", but many, I'm sure, are just caused
>>> by a lazy immune system.
>>
> Transferring infective agents via fecal/oral route by lack of hand
> washing was (and still is) a common problem. On the other hand, most
> people with healthy immune systems can tolerate a pretty good dose of
> slovenliness with no ill effects.

That's the point I was trying - clumsily - to make.

> Torak is wrong in that allergies are not caused by a "lazy" immune
> system but rather by an over active or inappropriately active one. Once

Fair point - poor choice of words on my part, I fear, but at least I can
blame it on my sister being the biologist of the family...

> hypersensitivity has been acquired the allergy is quite real. There are
> some psychosomatic "allergies" which could arguably considered "not
> real" (but you would get a pretty vigorous argument from the sufferer).

Like me and cheese, then, or the smell of lobster, or filmjölk... Gah,
horrible stuff.

> Where there is some truth in what he says is that the current
> cleanliness paranoia is adversely affecting immune system development.
> Current immunological surveys are pretty consistently showing that the
> old adage about having to "eat a peck of dirt" have some truth in them.
> Kids who are nor obsessively protected from their environment tend to
> develop healthier immune systems. This seems to include both more
> vigorous development of appropriate responses (like to pathogens) and
> fewer inappropriate responses (like allergies)

Certainly I never had any problems growing up; never had a cold, never
had any allergies, nothing. Then I started spending a lot of time
indoors by my computer, washing my hands fastidiously and eating not a
lot - and WHAM, I got hayfever or dust allergy or some such... or it's
just that bugger at the end of the garden getting to me. But I found
that if I wear the NBC kit I was issued in the Air Force, I can mow the
lawn *without* my eyes itching like mad afterwards... Probably
overkill... but hey, I miss the air force, so it serves a dual purpose.
Probably more than you needed to know, but hey...

Peter

Jun 14, 2004, 2:16:19 PM6/14/04
Torak wrote:

>> hypersensitivity has been acquired the allergy is quite real. There
>> are some psychosomatic "allergies" which could arguably considered
>> "not real" (but you would get a pretty vigorous argument from the
>> sufferer).
>

> Like me and cheese, then, or the smell of lobster, or filmjölk... Gah,
> horrible stuff.

Poor fellow - you have adverse reactions to 3 of my favorite foods!
:-) The 2 times we lived in Sweden for a year's sabbatsår, I
practically lived on cheese and filmjölk. Hummer was a little out of
our league price wise in Norden - worse even than it is here. Filmjölk
was the one thing that all three of our Swedish exchange daughters
missed about Swedish food that they just couldn't find a satisfactory
substitute for here. American buttermilk is similar but just doesn't do
the same thing on your cereal as fil. Whenever we go back to visit I
have to get my fix on fil, blodpudding, isterband, a large variety of
sil and stekt strömming.

sarah thiboutot

Jun 14, 2004, 9:06:09 PM6/14/04
In article <5678d904.04061...@posting.google.com>,
bluesa...@yahoo.com (Sandy) wrote:

SNIP a lot of garbage...

> So, back to the topic... peanut allergies and peanut free zones, they
> are not that uncommon and they are to be taken seriously.

Yes, but what is that child going to do when he grows up? Live in a
peanut-free town? Require his employer to ban peanut butter from the
workplace? Refuse to shop in grocery stores that sell peanut products?

Rigger

Jun 14, 2004, 10:09:28 PM6/14/04

> <hysterical shrieking snipped>

OK, enough... Reality lives somewhere south of your post and north of
the post you're responding to.

I dare say that for the lion's share of the members of this list, the
presence of antibiotics has long made death-by-common-cold and
death-by-not-washing-your-hands a bit of historical trivia. Hell,
they've only been around for what, fifty years now? I know when I was
growing up, the only thing that could (and would) kill me for not
washing my hands was my mom.

(for illustrative purposes, i will now engage in the
typical liberal "debate" tactic known as "hype.")

Kids today are growing up coddled, and you know it. They don't harden
their immune systems, because they don't go outside; playtime is spent
in front of the One-Eyed Monster with a PlayStation 2 control in their
mitts, and you know it.

But we still insist on putting the many subserviant to the few -
separating the kids with allergies so that everyone else can enjoy
peanut butter wouldn't make any sense. No, it's far better to deprive
everyone for little Johnny's sake.

"But if we save one child, it's okay!"
Charles Darwin would disagree, I suspect.

--
rigger-at-tds-dot-net
IATSE#274, DoD#2117, ACGwB#5, NGI#666, BMoZ#[classified]

Bori...@aol.removeme.com

Jun 15, 2004, 1:21:56 AM6/15/04

"Rigger" <lo...@sig.for.real.address> wrote in message

FWIW, my wife has much of her career in research of childhood allergy and
related subjects.
Washing or not washing hands does not appear to cause more allergies or
asthma in children.
School peanut rules are simply there to save lives not deny others even
though it sucks. Much
in the same way one can no longer carry a pocket knife to school as I did.

Boris

Boris

Torak

Jun 15, 2004, 6:36:54 AM6/15/04

Someone else wrote:

>>> hypersensitivity has been acquired the allergy is quite real. There
>>> are some psychosomatic "allergies" which could arguably considered
>>> "not real" (but you would get a pretty vigorous argument from the
>>> sufferer).
>>
>> Like me and cheese, then, or the smell of lobster, or filmjölk... Gah,
>> horrible stuff.
>
> Poor fellow - you have adverse reactions to 3 of my favorite foods!
> :-) The 2 times we lived in Sweden for a year's sabbatsår, I
> practically lived on cheese and filmjölk. Hummer was a little out of
> our league price wise in Norden - worse even than it is here. Filmjölk
> was the one thing that all three of our Swedish exchange daughters
> missed about Swedish food that they just couldn't find a satisfactory
> substitute for here. American buttermilk is similar but just doesn't do
> the same thing on your cereal as fil. Whenever we go back to visit I
> have to get my fix on fil, blodpudding, isterband, a large variety of
> sil and stekt strömming.

Heh, I listed them as examples of psychosomatic allergies... I developed
them because otherwise Fritidshemmet Ugglan made me eat the stuff.

Although the nausea in reaction to lobster is real, I don't need to
simulate that... ;-)

Blodpudding, on the other hand... drool.... with lots of lingonsylt.

Isterband I've never liked, it comes into the same category as rotmos
med fläsk or ärtsoppa.

Raggmunk is gorgeous, as is that king of meals, pyttipanna.

Oh, and grillad med bröd... aaaaaaah....

Oh, by the way... I'm having a birthday party on Friday. And I'm going
to be making Princesstårta. I'm *good* at them. I tend to put frozen
raspberries in the bottom layer of jam, they thaw just right for
serving, so you get the lovely tangy, slightly cruchy flavour. Takes the
edge off the marzipan.

Torak

Jun 15, 2004, 6:43:48 AM6/15/04
Bori...@aol.removeme.com wrote:
> "Rigger" <lo...@sig.for.real.address> wrote in message
>>
>>Kids today are growing up coddled, and you know it. They don't harden
>>their immune systems, because they don't go outside; playtime is spent
>>in front of the One-Eyed Monster with a PlayStation 2 control in their
>>mitts, and you know it.
>>
>>But we still insist on putting the many subserviant to the few -
>>separating the kids with allergies so that everyone else can enjoy
>>peanut butter wouldn't make any sense. No, it's far better to deprive
>>everyone for little Johnny's sake.
>>
>>"But if we save one child, it's okay!"
>>Charles Darwin would disagree, I suspect.

Well... I agree to some extent, but peanuts are a rather specific case
where, along with certain other allergies, fatal anaphylatic shock is a
very real possibility. I don't like the idea, but it's becoming a necessity.

> FWIW, my wife has much of her career in research of childhood allergy and
> related subjects.
> Washing or not washing hands does not appear to cause more allergies or
> asthma in children.
> School peanut rules are simply there to save lives not deny others even
> though it sucks. Much
> in the same way one can no longer carry a pocket knife to school as I did.

I used to carry one to mark my pencils; I'd shave off a sliver at one
end and write my name on them. Then that knife saved my life once - one
guy in the class came up behind me and tried to strangle me with a
length of piano wire or guitar string or something. I cut the wire - and
got sent to the head's office. The knife was confiscated (I got it back
when I went home that afternoon, at least), and I had to apologise to
the poor dear for frightening him. Bastard.

On another occasion, after I moved to a school in Scotland, I had to
apologise to a bloke for hurting his knee - apparently my eye sockets
were harder than he'd expected.

As far as allergies being related to hand washi8ng is concerned, one of
the things that worries me is the soap itself. Some soaps - particularly
those with aloe vera (bye, Vera) - give me a really nasty rash; I wonder
if perhaps the soap itself can cause allergies?

Bori...@aol.removeme.com

Jun 15, 2004, 6:19:01 PM6/15/04

> As far as allergies being related to hand washi8ng is concerned, one of
> the things that worries me is the soap itself. Some soaps - particularly
> those with aloe vera (bye, Vera) - give me a really nasty rash; I wonder
> if perhaps the soap itself can cause allergies?

Some studies suggest the great increase in processed foods have helped to
increase
the allergies in children. Some simply blame poor air quality but I think
air quality is
better these days in cities anyway. (It depends on what you are selling as
to what
your research shows).

I am not a fan of anti-biotic soap which thankfully seems to have been a fad
for home
use. I am in the "germs are good for you" camp. Then again SARS makes
vigourous
hand washing seem like a very good idea. It's a good thing our destiny is
pre-determined
so we can't really screw it up eventually.

Boris - approaching death...

Rigger

Jun 16, 2004, 1:59:06 AM6/16/04
In article <lBKzc.25867$7H1.8...@news20.bellglobal.com>,
<Bori...@aol.removeme.com> wrote:

> Then again SARS makes vigourous
> hand washing seem like a very good idea.

I think SARS makes not traveling to Hong Kong sound like a great idea.

(...and i *love* hk)

Torak

Jun 16, 2004, 8:36:46 AM6/16/04
Rigger wrote:

> I think SARS makes not traveling to Hong Kong sound like a great idea.
>
> (...and i *love* hk)

I love HK too - but with an ampersand in the middle and letter
combinations like "MP" and "G" after it... followed by numbers.

Rigger

Jun 16, 2004, 11:02:33 AM6/16/04
In article <40D03E7C...@andrew-perry.com>, Torak
<and...@andrew-perry.com> wrote:

> I love HK too - but with an ampersand in the middle and letter
> combinations like "MP" and "G" after it... followed by numbers.

But that wouldn't be the former colony, would it?

(P.S. There is no ampersand in the official logo.)
(p.p.s the XM8 is just silly)
(p.p.p.s. I'm partial to the GMG myself)

Mark Wetstein

Jun 16, 2004, 11:39:21 AM6/16/04

"Rigger" <lo...@sig.for.real.address> wrote in message

I'm so confused. Are you guys talking about Harmon Kardon or Heckler Koch?

Should this be cross posted to rec.guns

Rigger

Jun 16, 2004, 12:41:35 PM6/16/04
In article <cappj5$546$1...@schooner.siu.edu>, Mark Wetstein
<opns...@siu.edu> wrote:

> Should this be cross posted to rec.guns

This horse has been beaten to death several times over, over there.

Rigger

Jun 16, 2004, 12:42:30 PM6/16/04
<opns...@siu.edu> wrote:

> I'm so confused. Are you guys talking about Harmon Kardon or Heckler Koch?

Harmon Kardon doesn't make a GMG to my knowledge.

(nor has it an ampersand)

Torak

Jun 17, 2004, 7:16:18 PM6/17/04
Rigger wrote:
> <and...@andrew-perry.com> wrote:
>
>>I love HK too - but with an ampersand in the middle and letter
>>combinations like "MP" and "G" after it... followed by numbers.
>
> But that wouldn't be the former colony, would it?

Not in the least. :-D

> (P.S. There is no ampersand in the official logo.)

No, but in the name.

> (p.p.s the XM8 is just silly)

It's ugly, yes. But as a concept it's very interesting... nice and
lightweight, too. I was hoping to see it at Eurosatory (the arms
industry trade fair in Paris) today, but they didn't have one on show.

> (p.p.p.s. I'm partial to the GMG myself)

I'm rapidly becoming a big fan of the G36C. Not only is it light,
reliable and versatile, it even *looks* mean.

Rigger

Jun 18, 2004, 1:24:37 AM6/18/04
In article <40D225DC...@andrew-perry.com>, Torak
<and...@andrew-perry.com> wrote:

>> (p.p.s the XM8 is just silly)
>
> It's ugly, yes. But as a concept it's very interesting... nice and
> lightweight, too. I was hoping to see it at Eurosatory (the arms
> industry trade fair in Paris) today, but they didn't have one on show.

The US Army is just now taking delivery of the first shipments of the
XM8 at Ft. Bragg, and the reviews are mixed... Most notably, the thing
needs a proper barrel; the bloody OEM thing's too short to make max
velocity for the chosen ammunition and too thin & whippy to stay on
target under sustained fire.

Looks too damn much like a "Johnny Seven" toy rifle for my liking.

Huh?
Oh, stagecraft?? When did we ever discuss that here?

Rigger

Jun 18, 2004, 1:25:16 AM6/18/04

>> (P.S. There is no ampersand in the official logo.)
>
> No, but in the name.

<pedant> True, but HK is the logo, not the name. </pedant>

Clive Mitchell

Jun 18, 2004, 10:59:23 AM6/18/04
In message <180620040124373838%lo...@sig.for.real.address>, Rigger
<lo...@sig.for.real.address> writes

>Huh?
>Oh, stagecraft?? When did we ever discuss that here?

It's OK. Guns are a long established part of the theatre industry.

--
Clive Mitchell
http://www.bigclive.com

Rigger

Jun 18, 2004, 11:07:20 PM6/18/04
In article <ha1n9oCL...@emanator.demon.co.uk>, Clive Mitchell
<cli...@emanator.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> >Oh, stagecraft?? When did we ever discuss that here?
>
> It's OK. Guns are a long established part of the theatre industry.

Especially around contract-renegotiation time.

Torak

Jun 19, 2004, 6:31:51 PM6/19/04
Rigger wrote:
> In article <40D225DC...@andrew-perry.com>, Torak
>
>>>(p.p.s the XM8 is just silly)
>>
>>It's ugly, yes. But as a concept it's very interesting... nice and
>>lightweight, too. I was hoping to see it at Eurosatory (the arms
>>industry trade fair in Paris) today, but they didn't have one on show.
>
> The US Army is just now taking delivery of the first shipments of the
> XM8 at Ft. Bragg, and the reviews are mixed... Most notably, the thing
> needs a proper barrel; the bloody OEM thing's too short to make max
> velocity for the chosen ammunition and too thin & whippy to stay on
> target under sustained fire.

I don't have any hands-on experience with it, but I like the modularity
and the lightness of it. But if it can't shoot straigh I think I'll go
for my old air force-issue AK5.

> Looks too damn much like a "Johnny Seven" toy rifle for my liking.

Urgh, yes, that's my main problem with it.

Rigger

Jun 19, 2004, 11:00:53 PM6/19/04
In article <40D4BE6F...@andrew-perry.com>, Torak
<and...@andrew-perry.com> wrote:

> I don't have any hands-on experience with it, but I like the modularity
> and the lightness of it.

Two qualities I admire as well... That's why I shoot AR15s across-the
course in NRA HighPower and Service Rifle competition.

Torak

Jun 21, 2004, 3:08:50 PM6/21/04
Rigger wrote:
> In article <40D4BE6F...@andrew-perry.com>, Torak
> <and...@andrew-perry.com> wrote:
>
>>I don't have any hands-on experience with it, but I like the modularity
>>and the lightness of it.
>
> Two qualities I admire as well... That's why I shoot AR15s across-the
> course in NRA HighPower and Service Rifle competition.

I had a poke at the G36C with the new M203-type grenade launcher at
Eurosatory last week; I really like the G36 a lot, it feels surprisingly
sturdy for such a small gun. But with the 203... blimey, it tips over
forwards like nobody's business. I've always preferred bullpups, getting
the weight closer to the shoulder, so it's a bit too front-heavy with a
lot of stuff bolted on. And I'm a bit sceptical about the cocking
handle, too, but hey...

Clive Mitchell

Jun 21, 2004, 9:25:38 PM6/21/04
In message <40D731D7...@andrew-perry.com>, Torak
<and...@andrew-perry.com> writes

>I had a poke at the G36C with the new M203-type grenade launcher at
>Eurosatory last week;

Yes. I've got a G36C lighting desk too, and I feel the same way.

--
Theatre Bob.
Stage lighting designer and mercenary.