Mini-mag LED conversion

bkr...@my-deja.com

Nov 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/3/00
i read something on this newsgroup a while ago about a kit to convert a AA
mini-mag for LED use. anyone have links or info?

-ben

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Tomi Holger Engdahl

Nov 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/4/00
bkr...@my-deja.com writes:

> i read something on this newsgroup a while ago about a kit to convert a AA
> mini-mag for LED use. anyone have links or info?

No links or information particularly on this kind of product.
You can replace the bulbs of 2 AA battery Mini Maglite with
3 mm LED wich is connected in series with a small 47 ohm
resistor (this values applies to normal red, green and yellow
LEDs). If you try a normal LED directly in place of
bulb, you will get lightm but within some seconds the LED will
overheat because of too much current flowing. The resistor limits
the current to safe value (20 mA).

No plans for White LED modification for white LEDs.
Propably needs different resistor value. (47 ohm
might give quite dim value if light at all).
One circuit for white LED can be found at
http://www.web-ee.com/Schematics/LED%20Flashlight/LEDflashlight.htm
but you can't fit it inside Mini Maglite using original batteries.

--
Tomi Engdahl (http://www.iki.fi/then/)
http://www.epanorama.net/

diputs

Nov 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/5/00
This is were I bought my LED flashlight.

http://www.aerostich.com/riderwearhouse.filereader?611592249+EN/catalogs/1058

Tomi Holger Engdahl wrote:

> bkr...@my-deja.com writes:
>
> > i read something on this newsgroup a while ago about a kit to convert a AA
> > mini-mag for LED use. anyone have links or info?

--
diputs (spell it backwards)

bkr...@my-deja.com

Nov 5, 2000, 7:01:30 PM11/5/00
whew! $68...
a little steep for my budget; i think i'll stick to my normal mag-lite.

Adam Aglionby

Nov 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/6/00
Can`t get a white or blue led to function on a 2 X AA battery lantern
because the voltage 2 X 1.5V = 3V, blue and white require 3.6V+ to
light,seen some circuits using tiny inverter to step up single AA to
sufficient voltage for white,As Tomi says red ,green, yellow or amber are
better bet.Use inline resistor and if neccessary some epoxy putty to hold
plot together.

Craig Johnson`s Led Museum has an immense array of reviews of LED
flashlights and discreet leds:

http://ledmuseum.home.att.net/

Adam

"Tomi Holger Engdahl" <th...@jolly.cs.hut.fi> wrote in message

> bkr...@my-deja.com writes:
>
> > i read something on this newsgroup a while ago about a kit to convert a
AA
> > mini-mag for LED use. anyone have links or info?

David Lee

Nov 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/6/00
$91 if you want the white light option - you can buy an awful lot of AA
batteries and Maglite bulbs for that!

bkr...@my-deja.com wrote in article <8u4sco$2bc$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>...