TNG Satellite Uplinks

1 view

Andrew Bates

Sep 4, 1990, 3:53:53 PM9/4/90

I have a few questions about the TNG episode satellite uplinks. First,
if you have a satellite dish, is it possible to receive and record the all-
black episodes straight from the uplink? If so, does anyone have a schedule
of when the new season episodes are going to be uplinked (times as well as
dates)?

Andy Bates.

Vidiot

Sep 8, 1990, 3:54:04 PM9/8/90

The fourth season will not go up "all black" until before the start of the
fifth season. Also keep in mind that when the "all black" episodes do go up,
there is about 20 seconds of black between segments. Check out T301-9 during
the week nights, after about 1700 EDT. I don't have a dish, so I don't know
what is currently happening.

All of you that keep asking about the ST:TNG sat feeds need to invest in a
copy of Orbit. They list the uplink times/dates for many wild feeds. The
"all black" aren't listed because they are not always there.

For the last time, here is the schedule, unless Paramount changes it:

Sat 1800 EDT T301-9
Sun 1400 EDT T301-9
--
harvard\ att!nicmad\ spool.cs.wisc.edu!astroatc!vidiot!brown
Vidiot ucbvax!uwvax..........!astroatc!vidiot!brown

Pat Berry

Sep 11, 1990, 11:51:22 PM9/11/90
br...@vidiot.UUCP (Vidiot) writes:

> The fourth season will not go up "all black" until before the start of the
> fifth season.

What does that mean? *Now* is before the start of the fifth season. So
was the signing of the Magna Carta. Could you be a little more
specific?

Pat Berry p...@ramona.Cary.NC.US

Vidiot

Sep 14, 1990, 10:27:50 PM9/14/90
In article <Bw0cP1w162w%be...@ramona.Cary.NC.US> p...@ramona.Cary.NC.US (Pat Berry ) writes:
<
<> The fourth season will not go up "all black" until before the start of the
<> fifth season.
<
<What does that mean? *Now* is before the start of the fifth season. So
<was the signing of the Magna Carta. Could you be a little more
<specific?

Should I have said "just before"? I can't any more specific than that. With
the event being about a year away, details are subject to change.

steam.uucp

Sep 15, 1990, 12:02:46 AM9/15/90
br...@vidiot.UUCP (Vidiot) writes:

>All of you that keep asking about the ST:TNG sat feeds need to invest in a
>copy of Orbit. They list the uplink times/dates for many wild feeds. The
>"all black" aren't listed because they are not always there.

>For the last time, here is the schedule, unless Paramount changes it:

> Sat 1800 EDT T301-9
> Sun 1400 EDT T301-9

Looks like another "Monthly questions" entry for the group...

As for the "all-blacks", it looks as if they have quit for the duration.
All I've seen during the last two weeks is a Japanese feed to the homeland
about the American scene, and "Cheers" promo work. Tomorrow is "Teaser
Time"; the last transmission of a third season episode, and the promos for
the Season 4 Premiere. Any bets that the Paramount "geeks" that produce
the teasers give the episode away in 10 seconds?

I think the thread has been started before, but how many of you on the 'Net
have complained to *any* network about the teasers? I can recall about 18
years ago, when the same announcer that does the ST:TNG voiceovers did
ABC's nightlys. It got to the point with the "Dan Tanna" (Robert Urich as
a Las Vegas P.I.) promos that all you needed to hear was that clown's voice
on Thursday evening, and you thought to yourself "Death Stalks Dan Tanna,
Tonight at 10 on ABC!". The horrible thing about it was you'd be almost
dead on what he was about to say...

Someone must have "set phasers on 'stupid'" and nailed the entire
promotions staff. Why do they have to give away the entire storyline, or
even worse, the climactic moment/resolution, in the damned promo? I
shouldn't scream just at ST:TNG's department, look at the blitz they put on
for their movies and you'll see the same forces in action.

The Grinch hath groused, and will now hit Esc, Shift-ZZ. Yes, I use 'vi'
in public. No other annoying habits (yet).

--
Timothy Bowser, Chief Floppy Swapper of | sharkey!clmqt!steam!strike
The Iron Horse Information Service | Other Paths To Follow (maybe)

Atsushi Kanamori

Sep 15, 1990, 11:06:24 AM9/15/90
In article <1990Sep15....@steam.uucp> @steam.uucp writes:
>Tomorrow is "Teaser
>Time"; the last transmission of a third season episode, and the promos for
>the Season 4 Premiere. Any bets that the Paramount "geeks" that produce
>the teasers give the episode away in 10 seconds?

Don't watch the rebroadcast of TBOBW. I won't. That's why I taped it
the first time, so I wouldn't have to watch it the second time.

I agree with you. The promos SUCK. Obviously, someone out there feels
that telling us "On the next, EXCITING episode..." 22 times a year is somehow
sufficient and/or necessarily for insuring a steady viewership. I long
for the day that VCR's will be smart enough to skip all commercials (including
promos. :-)