Star Trek (TOS) on Beta, uncut (trade/sell) ... updated again

Gary L Dare

Feb 20, 1992, 1:10:14 PM2/20/92
Just got through taking inventory, and I've got a total of 7 episodes
(Unedited, uncut store-bought originals unlike the syndication ...)
available on *Beta* for sale at $10 each (take 'em all for only $65!)
or trade (1-for-1 swap w/movie on Beta/used CD/Nintendo NES game) as
follows:

8 - Charlie X
11 - Dagger of the Mind
12 - Miri
17 - Shore Leave
20 - The Alternative Factor
29 - Operation-Annihilate!
33 - Who Mourns for Adonais?

Numbers indicate episode numbering on the tape boxes, for those who
are keeping track of what episodes they're missing in that manner.

RSVP for summaries, if necessary.

All tapes are in excellent condition in the original packaging. All
have been played at least once, but most have been played ONLY once,
and NONE have been played more than twice. Running time: ~50 min. ea.

gld
--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Je me souviens ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Gary L. Dare The number of Canadians who --
> g...@cunixB.cc.columbia.EDU approve of Brian Mulroney: 13%
> g...@cunixc.BITNET believe Elvis is alive: 15%

Brad Templeton

Feb 23, 1992, 4:39:41 AM2/23/92
For years we've always been a bit concerned with the fact that Troi never
actually does anything remotely psychic. Picard will come out of
the ready room, pace the bridge, sit in his chair and release a heavy
sigh, and Troi the betazoid will say, "You're worried, Captain."

Ferrengi traders will say, "no, our intentions are peaceful, yeah, that's
the ticket, ...yeah!" and Troi will say, "I think they're hiding
something, captain."

So finally Troi gets a chance. The crew has amnesia and she reminds us
all she still has her Troi-powers. Yet there's an alien ringer on the
ship pretending to be a human 1st officer with amnesia, and not once does
Troi detect that he's lying, or hiding something, or in a massively
completely different mental state from everybody else -- or simply an alien!

Troi's been shown as a fraud. Fire her.

(Of course, this was not even the biggest hole in this interesting, but
underlying silly episode. Any race that had a weapon that could go
through the Enterprise's shields and not just remove everybody's memory,
but also break all computer security codes and then destroy and *edit*
computer records selectively, even the backups, then lower the shields
for transport onboard -- they would have one of the most powerful weapons
around, and Ferrengi (and tons of other races) would gladly trade warships or
mercenary services for it. The episode also ignored the fact that ships,
even today, keep copies of the logs in ultra-protected uneraseable black
box type units -- we presume the Enterprise's would be one that could
survive an antimatter explosion, if that's possible. Data has similar
backups in unwritable storage.)
--
Brad Templeton, ClariNet Communications Corp. -- Sunnyvale, CA 408/296-0366

The Artful Dodger

Feb 23, 1992, 1:20:00 PM2/23/92
WARNING - this post contains a possible spoiler for CONUNDRUM

In article <1992Feb23....@clarinet.com>, br...@clarinet.com (Brad Templeton) writes...

The episode also ignored the fact that ships,
>even today, keep copies of the logs in ultra-protected uneraseable black
>box type units -- we presume the Enterprise's would be one that could
>survive an antimatter explosion, if that's possible. Data has similar
>backups in unwritable storage.)

Brad, I don't know what ship's YOU'RE talking about, but Having
been a log keeper on the world's largest warship, the USS Abraham Lincoln,
I have to tell you, modern ships keep records on paper, often thrown
hap-hazardly into the log bin until the end of the month - it wouldn't
be too teribly difficult to alter them, if you knew what you were doing.

As for Star Fleet, they Do NOT have "Black boxes" that would
survive an antimater explosion - else, why would they need to drop
marker beacons w/ backups of the ship's logs?

>--
>Brad Templeton, ClariNet Communications Corp. -- Sunnyvale, CA 408/296-0366

-Arty

"God is a Magician. Reality is His trick. It's all done with mirrors."
-Dr. Stephen Strange
*Then it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that,
The Artful Dodger * an' "Tommy, 'ow's yer soul?"
Internet: P653...@CCIT.Arizona.EDU *But it's "Thin Red line of 'eroes"
* when the Drums begin to roll.
* -Rudyard Kipling

Gerald (Jerry) KUCH

Feb 23, 1992, 4:52:36 PM2/23/92
In article <1992Feb23....@clarinet.com> br...@clarinet.com (Brad Templeton) writes:
>For years we've always been a bit concerned with the fact that Troi never
>actually does anything remotely psychic. Picard will come out of
>the ready room, pace the bridge, sit in his chair and release a heavy
>sigh, and Troi the betazoid will say, "You're worried, Captain."

These are some of my least favorite Troi moments. I'm just waiting for Picard
to turn to her and say something like:

"Counsellor, the Enterprise is gravely damaged, a third of the crew has died,
and we're deep within enemy territory with a well supplied and hostile
opposing fleet know to be in the area. No shit, I'm worried."

>Ferrengi traders will say, "no, our intentions are peaceful, yeah, that's
>the ticket, ...yeah!" and Troi will say, "I think they're hiding
>something, captain."

John Lovitts as a Ferengei. This I would like to see sometime.

>So finally Troi gets a chance. The crew has amnesia and she reminds us
>all she still has her Troi-powers. Yet there's an alien ringer on the
>ship pretending to be a human 1st officer with amnesia, and not once does
>Troi detect that he's lying, or hiding something, or in a massively
>completely different mental state from everybody else -- or simply an alien!

Yep. Did she ever actually end up in Macduff's presence? Yeah, I guess
she did. Okay, she sucks. You're right.

>Troi's been shown as a fraud. Fire her.

Yeah. I just had this image of her playing with her hair, and glancing
furtively around the room while she copies the answers off the "Empath's
Competency Exam" scoring sheet of the person in the seat next to her.

>(Of course, this was not even the biggest hole in this interesting, but
>underlying silly episode. Any race that had a weapon that could go
>through the Enterprise's shields and not just remove everybody's memory,
>but also break all computer security codes and then destroy and *edit*
>computer records selectively, even the backups, then lower the shields
>for transport onboard -- they would have one of the most powerful weapons
>around, and Ferrengi (and tons of other races) would gladly trade warships or
>mercenary services for it. The episode also ignored the fact that ships,
>even today, keep copies of the logs in ultra-protected uneraseable black
>box type units -- we presume the Enterprise's would be one that could
>survive an antimatter explosion, if that's possible. Data has similar
>backups in unwritable storage.)

Data was a problem. The ship's computers were a problem. But then again,
we've seen that Ferengei expertise with mind control is fairly formidable
("The Battle") so who knows....the Sutterans may have BOUGHT the equipment
they needed to seize the Enterprise from the Ferengei. And it must have
some limitations....has anybody thought that Macduff may have been hidden
aboard earlier, and only put on the extra pips and come to the bridge when
the ship got zotted?

Still, the point stands that any race with a weapon like this might not need
much else.

>--
>Brad Templeton, ClariNet Communications Corp. -- Sunnyvale, CA 408/296-0366

--
J. Kuch (je...@cs.mcgill.ca) | "Objects are a poor man's Closures." --N. Adams
"I was wrong to play God. Life is precious, not a thing to be toyed with.

David P. Murphy

Feb 23, 1992, 5:47:19 PM2/23/92
plothole in _Cononundrum_ (sp), you tell me how big:

the UFP knows what the weapon is, and the enterprise's role is soooo crucial
to the success of the entire war? i would be looking all over the bridge
for *big* sheets of paper with copies of the mission's orders written down.
these papers would be every five feet, all over the ship.

can't find any written orders? and starfleet *knew* about the
memory-wipe weapon? we're in denmark!

ok
dpm
--
mur...@npri6.npri.com
602 Cameron St.

Robert W. Spiker

Feb 23, 1992, 8:26:25 PM2/23/92

br...@clarinet.com (Brad Templeton) writes:

[Troi didn't notice Commander Redshirt was an alien]

>Troi's been shown as a fraud. Fire her.

No, fire the *writers* who filled this thing with a zillion plotholes.
Don't blame the character for what's not in the script!

Sheesh.
Ten minutes into the episode, and this new face pops up and says,
'Gee, guys, what happened??' Now, we're not supposed to notice this and
wonder who did the amnesia until later, when we find out who he is?

Or, why did he make himself the XO? Why not Captain? Or Vice Admiral,
Commander in Chief of the Lysian Sector Attack Force (CINCLYSSECTATFOR)?
That way he'd outrank the Captain and do what he wanted to do without
interference.

>(Of course, this was not even the biggest hole in this interesting, but
>underlying silly episode.

Precisely.

Robert W. Spiker rw...@virginia.edu |
Dept. of Astronomy, Univ. of Virginia | The condition upon which God hath
P.O. Box 3818, University Station | given liberty to man is eternal
Charlottesville VA 22903 USA | vigilance. J.P.Curran, 1790

Steve Wolfson

Feb 24, 1992, 1:26:01 PM2/24/92

The episode started out ok, with Whorf assuming his natural tendencies towards
leadership and sliding into the captains job. Then when a computer which was
known to have been infiltrated spits out the personnel roster he goes "Ok,
sorry about that captain", I would think as suspicious as he always is he
wouldn't back down so quickly. Another example of TNG with a good idea
that they just cut off.

Janis Maria Cortese

Feb 24, 1992, 7:38:45 PM2/24/92
In article <1992Feb24.0...@murdoch.acc.Virginia.EDU> rw...@astsun.astro.Virginia.EDU (Robert W. Spiker) writes:

>br...@clarinet.com (Brad Templeton) writes:
>
>[Troi didn't notice Commander Redshirt was an alien]
>>
>>Troi's been shown as a fraud. Fire her.
>>

>No, fire the *writers* who filled this thing with a zillion plotholes.
>Don't blame the character for what's not in the script!

Besides, it was mentioned in one of the Lwaxana episodes that Betazeds
can't read Ferengi well. Maybe it's the same thing with these aliens?

Troi already had trouble with the Ullians, or she would have known who
was mind-raping everyone from the start.

Regards,
Janis C.

Todd J. Ignasiak

Feb 24, 1992, 11:00:54 PM2/24/92
wol...@amtfocus.amt.gss.mot.com (Steve Wolfson) writes:

I disagree, I thought that was logical for Whorf to assume control, but
throughout the time they didn't know ranks Picard often took the leadership
role. And I (thought I) noticed him looking at Picard strangely after he
would make a leadership decision. I took that as doubt as to whether
he should be in control or not.

There were other factors that should have led them to recognize Picard
as the captain earlier. Such as their positions when they first lost
their memory, each would presumably be at his/her own station, and
Picard was on or near the captains chair (yes they did know it
was the captains chair, Worf sat in it when he assumed control ). And
the number of circles on his colar was more than any other crew member.

Overall I liked this episode, aside from how easily the group with
primitive technology brought the enterprise to its knees.

Todd Ignasiak

* Todd Ignasiak igna...@convex.cl.msu.edu *
* Michigan State University East Lansing, MI *

Bill Bochnik (Info Systems)

Feb 24, 1992, 7:11:51 PM2/24/92
Thanks for the SPOILER ALERT on that one...

Bill Bochnik | It's hard to be a James Bond in an Abbott
Systems Analyst | and Costello world.
Ciba-Geigy Corporation |
Hawthorne, New York | It's worse than that, he's dead Jim.
914-785-2255 |
philabs!crpmks!billb or | Signed and sealed, they deliver oblivion.
billb%crp...@uunet.UU.NET |

--

Bill Bochnik | It's hard to be a James Bond in an Abbott
Systems Analyst | and Costello world.
Ciba-Geigy Corporation |

Brad Templeton

Feb 26, 1992, 4:44:50 AM2/26/92
In article <1992Feb25....@cs.mcgill.ca> je...@cs.mcgill.ca (Gerald (Jerry) KUCH) writes:
>On top of this, does anybody remember how at the beginning of the first
>season of TNG the Ferengei were essentially unknown, mystery aliens, who
>were never seen face to face until "The Last Outpost"?
>
>Now they're a pack of clowns who have extensive rights of passage through
>Federation territory for trade missions, and who are perpetually bumping
>noses with the Federation on places like Risa. How did they become so
>banal and familiar so quickly when previously the bounds of their territory
>weren't even established?

Yup, a major gaffe. In that episode, they had never been seen before by
federation eyes, and did not want to open video links. Now they sit in bars.

The Ferengi strike me as GR's caricature of the Yankee Trader. He wanted
the capitalists to be the bad guys in his utopian universe. But he made
them such weenies that no viewer respected them or wanted to see them.

If I were script editor for ST:TNG, I would make the Ferengi something
like the Puppeteers -- that is to say, the ones you see in space are the
strange, mad ones. The real Ferengi, the powerful advanced race, would
have a different character, but no desire to leave their home planet.

For example, I might write that the Ferengi who leave are children, out
doing their rite of passage in space, until they mature and come home.
They act a great deal like children -- this makes a lot of sense.

The elder Ferengi would still be capitalists, but more of the enlightened
self-interest sort, who still strive for profit but understand that profit
is not just measured in currency.

However, I suspect they will be a whiney race forever. They no longer use
them a real bad guys -- they like the Romulans for that, with the odd
Cardassian, Borg or one-timer race.

Scott J Gorcey

Feb 26, 1992, 9:11:00 AM2/26/92
In article <1992Feb26....@clarinet.com>, br...@clarinet.com (Brad Templeton) writes...

>In article <1992Feb25....@cs.mcgill.ca> je...@cs.mcgill.ca (Gerald (Jerry) KUCH) writes:
>>
>The Ferengi strike me as GR's caricature of the Yankee Trader. He wanted
>the capitalists to be the bad guys in his utopian universe. But he made
>them such weenies that no viewer respected them or wanted to see them.

The Ferengi strike me as Roddenbery's caricature of Yuppies. He
^did^ want capitalists to be the bad guys of his so-called Utopia.
And it's not that he made them such weenies -- he made them us.
The Yankee Trader analogy was an attempt to link the Ferengi to
us, Americans, humans, whatever, without the sting of offense
to every redblooded American with a dollar in their pocket (i.e.,
everyone).

We have met the enemy - and they are us.

Sorry. Didn't work. I'm offended. And not because it's some
biting truth of a metaphor -- it's an incorrect metaphor. Okay,
"Die Yuppie Scum," but what about the small business owner?
What about all of us? Let's take a poll. Who would give up
money? Hands? Anyone?

Didn't think so.

For a Utopia, this Star Trek universe would sure be a f*cking
boring place to actually live. Roddenbery completely overlooked
the same thing Stalin did -- without motivation, we are the
laziest sons of bitches in Creation. And that motivation currently
takes the form of money. A few thousand years ago it was barter,
trade, what have you. Money is only a buffer in trade-relations
anyway, a way for people to trade their labor for ^their chioce^
of goods, as opposed to "I'll work for you if you give me that
painting off your wall."

I sincerely doubt we will have 'grown beyond' ^any^ form of
trade or compensation by the 24th century and if we have, I'm
glad I'll be dead. (Besides, there have been several times where
there is the strong intimation that Starfleet does in fact pay
its people in TNG's time -- even if, per Unification, they don't
"carry money.")

>If I were script editor for ST:TNG, I would make the Ferengi something
>like the Puppeteers -- that is to say, the ones you see in space are the
>strange, mad ones. The real Ferengi, the powerful advanced race, would
>have a different character, but no desire to leave their home planet.

BTW, excellent idea. Develop that, write the treatment.

-Scott Gorcey

Gerald (Jerry) KUCH

Feb 25, 1992, 11:21:03 AM2/25/92

I think it comes down to the fundamental worthlessness of the Troi character,
although the writing for it has been a little better in the last few weeks.
She's approached bare functionality as a Counsellor rather than the airlock
fodder that she'd been for the preceeding four years.

As for reading Ferengei emotions:

"I sense considerable decemption from Bok [the loopy Ferengei Daimon]...and
danger!"

"We Betazoids are uncomfortable with lifeforms whose emotions we cannot read,
like the Ferengei."

This is one of my favorite TNG continuity gaffes. Apparently the only
Ferengei ever to be read was a madman....

On top of this, does anybody remember how at the beginning of the first
season of TNG the Ferengei were essentially unknown, mystery aliens, who
were never seen face to face until "The Last Outpost"?

Now they're a pack of clowns who have extensive rights of passage through
Federation territory for trade missions, and who are perpetually bumping
noses with the Federation on places like Risa. How did they become so
banal and familiar so quickly when previously the bounds of their territory
weren't even established?

>Regards,
>Janis C.

91F9774

Feb 27, 1992, 3:08:00 AM2/27/92
In article <1992Feb23....@clarinet.com>, br...@clarinet.com (Brad Templeton) writes...

>Troi's been shown as a fraud. Fire her.

A friend of mine said that it could be she couldn't remember how to focus
her power. Mostly I agree with you tho.

>(Of course, this was not even the biggest hole in this interesting, but
>underlying silly episode. Any race that had a weapon that could go

>(completely trash the enterprise)

>around, and Ferrengi (and tons of other races) would gladly trade warships or

>even today, keep copies of the logs in ultra-protected uneraseable black
>box type units -- we presume the Enterprise's would be one that could
>survive an antimatter explosion, if that's possible. Data has similar
>backups in unwritable storage.)

We thought they should at least say something like, "Man, this would be great
against the Borg!" It would be nice if they have a "Rusellan (sp?)" jammer
the next time the Borg come around.

This is the weakest of your arguments. Here's why I think so.
The Russellan had a shell prewritten that took up oh, 1% of the total core
and that gave the crew the illusion that they were regaining functions and
so on. After the crew got back their memories they remembered about black
boxes, secondary storage and so on.

Was it just me or did those mines look like 'A' wing fighters?
---
Stephen McLeod
The Eternal Student

91F9774

Feb 27, 1992, 3:13:00 AM2/27/92
In article <1992Feb23....@cs.mcgill.ca>, je...@cs.mcgill.ca (Gerald (Jerry) KUCH) writes...
Given the Lyssians (sp) primative technology and ability to fight off the
Sutterans (How did I get Russalans out of THAT!?!) I bet the attack is
incredibly easy to defend against once you know how it is done.
Radar was great during WWII, but didn't do the Iraqis much good.
---
Smm
tes

NFink

Feb 27, 1992, 10:49:48 AM2/27/92
wol...@amtfocus.amt.gss.mot.com (Steve Wolfson) writes:

There were several problems with that episode that come to mind. For one,
how could such technologically inferior beings sabotage the Enterprise's
computer systems, human, betazoid, and android memories alike? That seems a
bit far-fetched. And how could a spy have passed himself off as human and
faked mental shock under Dr. Crusher's advaned diagnostics. (Besides which,
wouldn't Deanna have picked up his treatcherous feelings?)
But if you grant that STNG is always great for thinking up interesting
situations, then I guess it isn't too bad.

Gregory Berigan

Feb 28, 1992, 4:50:19 PM2/28/92
cor...@skid.ps.uci.edu (Janis Maria Cortese) writes:

>Besides, it was mentioned in one of the Lwaxana episodes that Betazeds
>can't read Ferengi well.

Remove the word "well" and you have what was said. However, it was a
retcon, since Troi had sensed Ferengi emotions before that was handed
down.

--
/// ____ \\\ | CAUTION:
| |/ / \ \| | | Avoid eye contact. In case of contact, flush
\\_|\____/|_// | mind for 15 minutes. See a psychiatrist if
\_)\\/ | irritation persists. Not to be taken
gberigan `-' cse.unl.edu | seriously. Keep out of sight of children.