K/S lit (slash) info

Zelig

Apr 21, 1992, 2:48:41 PM4/21/92
I just read an article in my Soc class about "slash" fanzines, which
involve Kirk/Spock having a love affair, pon farr stories, etc. The
article was by Constance Penley, an ethnographer who said she has
attended several slash conventions... Any info on this scene?

Zelig

Betsy Ramsey

Apr 23, 1992, 3:02:23 PM4/23/92
In article <1992Apr22.1...@usenet.ins.cwru.edu>,
bf...@cleveland.Freenet.Edu (Bonita Kale) writes:

>Sure, what do you want to know? K/S is a sub-genre of Trek fan lit in
>which Kirk and Spock are in love. It is a highly feminist and female
>phenomenon. The love affair is definitely between men, as far as bodies
>go, but it bears more than a passing resemblance to a female ideal of love.
>
>Basically, K/S stories are about everlasting love between equals and
>heroes, a thing almost impossible in more mundane love stories.

A good overview of the slash subgenre of fan fiction can be found in
article <1992Apr19....@mont.cs.missouri.edu> titled "Welcome
to Bisexuality, Captain Kirk: Slash and the Fan Writing Community" in
newsgroup misc.activism.progressive. The article contains an essay
extracted from Henry Jenkins, Textual Poachers: Television Fans and
Participatory Culture (forthcoming summer 1992).

-------
Betsy Ramsey, The Catholic University of America, Washington, DC
Internet: ram...@cuavax.dnet.cua.edu, Bitnet: ramsey@cua
Opinions expressed here are my own.

Michael Rawdon

Apr 24, 1992, 7:06:55 PM4/24/92
In <1992Apr23....@netcon.cua.edu> ram...@netcon.cua.edu (Betsy Ramsey) writes:
>In article <1992Apr22.1...@usenet.ins.cwru.edu>, bf...@cleveland.Freenet.Edu (Bonita Kale) writes:
>>In a previous article, upo...@mcl.mcl.ucsb.edu (Zelig) says:
>>>I just read an article in my Soc class about "slash" fanzines, which
>>>involve Kirk/Spock having a love affair, pon farr stories, etc. The
>>>article was by Constance Penley, an ethnographer who said she has
>>>attended several slash conventions... Any info on this scene?

>>Sure, what do you want to know? K/S is a sub-genre of Trek fan lit in
>>which Kirk and Spock are in love. It is a highly feminist and female
>>phenomenon. The love affair is definitely between men, as far as bodies
>>go, but it bears more than a passing resemblance to a female ideal of love.

>>Basically, K/S stories are about everlasting love between equals and
>>heroes, a thing almost impossible in more mundane love stories.

>A good overview of the slash subgenre of fan fiction can be found in
>article <1992Apr19....@mont.cs.missouri.edu> titled "Welcome
>to Bisexuality, Captain Kirk: Slash and the Fan Writing Community" in
>newsgroup misc.activism.progressive. The article contains an essay
>extracted from Henry Jenkins, Textual Poachers: Television Fans and
>Participatory Culture (forthcoming summer 1992).

It's also interesting to note that there is an APA (Amateur Press Association)
entitled "K/S and Kindred Spirits" (as I recall). It's been listed in the
APA directory The New Moon Directory a couple of times, I think.

Other relevant points of note include the large number of fans who disagree
with the K/S interpretation of the characters (gee, what a surprise; I can't
say I could possibly envision a Kirk/Spock romance by any stretch of my
own imagination, though), and that it is rumored (but unconfirmed) that
Paramount cracked down on the creators of K/S at one point.

...just more useless info from the encylopedic mind of...

--
Michael Rawdon
raw...@cabrales.cs.wisc.edu

"...I guess I'd rather have mediocre Star Trek then none at all."
- A friend, about the ST:TNG episode "Legacy"