Kirk/Spock zines

1 view

ANDREA HOSTH

Sep 16, 1992, 1:18:15 AM9/16/92
Last year I read a critical review of a sub-genre generally known as K/S or
Kirk/Spock zines. These are fanzines and sometimes novels, which are devoted
to exploring a homosexual relationship between Kirk and Spock. The article
was well-written and interesting, but I have never read any fanzines or
novels along this line (not that I actually read fanzines at all). Has
anyone ever encountered this genre?
Interestingly enough, the genre is 99% female-written and read. The stories (
apparently) often follow the line where one of the two are injured (usually
Spock) and the other is forced to care for him. Their already close bond
becomes closer and, in the throes of pain or nearing possible death, the
injured or the 'caree' makes a 'tumultuous admission' along the lines of:
"There's something I have to tell you Jim/Spock. I..I..love you."
Other popular plotlines involve lots of sex.

There are apparently a hell of a lot of these stories out there. Does anyone
have any more info?

Ankh

Erick Singley

Sep 16, 1992, 4:30:17 PM9/16/92
My first (and only so far- due to rising costs of reg.) shore leave I went
to in Maryland, I was there as a 'prop' for a girl who begged me to act
as a 'bpdyguard' as as part of her costume for the costume ball.
In any case I as walking though the dealer's room and saw this thin large
paper back with rather non-descript 'love' kinda drawings on it and so
I thought to browse through it.
"Don't touch that!," the girl said quickly ad dragged me away before I
could really get started reading. She explained what it was, after some
prodding. Let me tell you, buddy, the ART room was where I REALLY found
out what she was talking about. Spock and Kirk coyly looking at each other
made her blush and leave, and I couldn't stop from laughing. Now THERE'S
something I'll bet even RODDENBERRY didn't think of!

Erick

amanda rothman

Sep 20, 1992, 11:48:23 PM9/20/92
hoah...@halls1.cc.monash.edu.au (ANDREA HOSTH) writes:

There are _quite_ a few of these fanzines. You can find them in other
universes as well as K/S. The genre in general are called "slash" zines.
One of the people I know of who do a few K/S zines/ novelettes is:

Wendy Rathbone
P.O. Box 2556
Yucca Valley, CA 92286-2556

Wendy is pretty good about getting your zines out as soon as she has
copies reprinted. She also prints out regular Star Trek fanzines, as
well as Blakes 7. Another good place to try is

Bill Hupe and Peg Kennedy
916 Lamb Rd.
Mason, MI 48854-9445

These people will send a large list of fanzines over a large number of
genres. Star Trek and Blakes 7 makes up a large part of the list.

In order to get this information, send an SASE for information. Have
fun; I know I am! ;)

Stay Safe!

Yours in Time and Space,

Ekho (Killer Queen, Dynamite with a Laser Beam)

Joshua Susser

Sep 21, 1992, 4:42:30 PM9/21/92
In article <hoahosth.5...@halls1.cc.monash.edu.au>,

hoah...@halls1.cc.monash.edu.au (ANDREA HOSTH) wrote:

> Last year I read a critical review of a sub-genre generally known as K/S or
> Kirk/Spock zines. These are fanzines and sometimes novels, which are devoted
> to exploring a homosexual relationship between Kirk and Spock. The article
> was well-written and interesting, but I have never read any fanzines or
> novels along this line (not that I actually read fanzines at all). Has
> anyone ever encountered this genre?

I've seen a couple of these stories. A friend lent me his copy of a zine
that had a dozen or so slash stories, and some interesting artwork as well.
The stories were okay. I haven't read any other trek fanzine stories, so
I don't know how they compare in quality to the non-slash stuff. I
particularly liked the one about how Spock has another amok time cause the
last one was aborted, and Kirk has to, uh, make certain sacrifies to save
his friend's life.

> Interestingly enough, the genre is 99% female-written and read.

This made for some hysterical reading. It was very clear that most of the
writers were completely clueless about how two men have sex. (No lube?
You've got to be kidding!) It also made for a very weird S/M overtone,
since all of the stories (eroneously) described the actual sex act as being
physically painful,though emotionally fulfilling.

Joshua Susser, Object Percussionist
Apple Computer, Advanced Technology Group
inet: sus...@apple.com | link: susser.j | phone: 408/974-6997

Sem Hoelscher

Sep 22, 1992, 1:29:00 PM9/22/92
Shacha Andrea!

hoah...@halls1.cc.monash.edu.au (ANDREA HOSTH) writes:

> Last year I read a critical review of a sub-genre generally known as K/S or

> Kirk/Spock zines. [...] The article was well-written and interesting,

> but I have never read any fanzines or
> novels along this line (not that I actually read fanzines at all). Has
> anyone ever encountered this genre?

I have. When I found out that there is in fact a German Fandom, I soon was
confronted with this stories as well. Since I had starved for more many
years, I simply tried everything. And to my surprise, some of them are
really good! (But not because of K/S, but because there really is a story.)

Those only dealing with the sex-part are in the best case ... boring.
But there are many of them dealing with the friendship-part and the rest
of the crew as well. And there I find often the characters better worked
out than in many of the pocket-novels. Unfortunately, I don't own any, I
use to borrow them from a friend who has a full house of Trek-stuff (not
only stories of all sorts, all novels, all videos, all ... grin) and gives
them rather freely to all interested people. >8-) Whenever a new zine
arrives, some people are ready to take it out of her hands as soon as she
read it herself.

> Interestingly enough, the genre is 99% female-written and read.

True. But I read from some men, who like it. As far as I know, they are
homosexual themselves. And there are some men, I know, who just at least
try one or two, because they dislike the quarrel about this. If someone
likes it, fine, if not, fine. But they'd join a Wesley-Crusher-Fan-Club,
only because he is attacked so much, not because they like him.

Oyori - Sem [from Northern Germany]