MY VOTE FOR THE STUPIDEST TNG EPI

joe.c...@his.com

May 25, 1994, 6:19:02 AM5/25/94

> Todd Hawley (tha...@netcom.com) wrote:
> : In article <Cq6F3...@usenet.ucs.indiana.edu>,
> : K. A. Brown <kaab...@nickel.ucs.indiana.edu> wrote:
> : >The stupidest episode of TNG was number 2, I forgot the title.
> : >It's the one where everyone get's drunk from a virus.
>
> I can go along with that.

That episode served a purpose. Early TNG thinking was that there would be no
tie-in between TOS and TNG. Even the old admiral in the first show was never
officially said to be McCoy in the storyline. Anyway, when Riker, Data and ?
were looking for a history of the virus Riker reported that a similar virus had
affected the Constellation class Enterprise commanded by James T. Kirk...

That was it, he said Kirk and went on as if he/they had never heard of him. It
was not until Reunification that TOS and TNG really were tied together with the
"Cowboy Diplomacy" line.

Michael Warchut

May 25, 1994, 11:31:07 AM5/25/94

:
: That was it, he said Kirk and went on as if he/they had never heard of him. It
: was not until Reunification that TOS and TNG really were tied together with the
: "Cowboy Diplomacy" line.

Actually that brings up a good point, that the first and second
officers of the flagship had never heard of James Kirk. In DS9, even
doctor Bashir knew of Kirk, and made it sound as if he were a big hero to
all Starfleet officers, yet Picard and Riker never heard of him? Hmm...

R. Dan Henry

May 25, 1994, 2:20:48 PM5/25/94
In article <2rvqvr$l...@nic.umass.edu> mwar...@titan.ucs.umass.edu (Michael Warchut) writes:
>From: mwar...@titan.ucs.umass.edu (Michael Warchut)
>Subject: Re: MY VOTE FOR THE STUPIDEST TNG EPI
>Date: 25 May 1994 15:31:07 GMT

> Actually that brings up a good point, that the first and second
>officers of the flagship had never heard of James Kirk. In DS9, even
>doctor Bashir knew of Kirk, and made it sound as if he were a big hero to
>all Starfleet officers, yet Picard and Riker never heard of him? Hmm...

Bashir's on DS9 because he wants to be out on the frontier because that's
where heroes are made. Bashir wants to be a hero, so naturally, he's all
read up on the heroes of space travel, like old Kirk.

* R. Dan Henry, Dept. of Philosophy, UC Riverside *
* rdh...@ucrac1.ucr.edu * "Strange Dan" the Wereduck*
* "Can I still get an A if I only answered half the *
* questions?" - student, at end of final *

Daniel Zimmerman

May 25, 1994, 3:48:35 PM5/25/94
mwar...@titan.ucs.umass.edu (Michael Warchut) writes:

> Actually that brings up a good point, that the first and second
>officers of the flagship had never heard of James Kirk. In DS9, even
>doctor Bashir knew of Kirk, and made it sound as if he were a big hero to
>all Starfleet officers, yet Picard and Riker never heard of him? Hmm...

Remember, Bashir came to DS9 straight out of Starfleet Academy.... His
studies of historical figures are probably very fresh in his mind... Whereas,
Riker and Picard had both had decent-length careers before their tour on the
Enterprise, and possibly forgot a couple of details along the way (Riker,
because he probably didn't care all that much about remembering them, and
Picard because he seems more interested in _ancient_ history than in
recent Federation history...)

-Dan

Daniel Zimmerman - TFF Enterprises Caltech Apple II Archive Admin
MSC #1023, California Institute of Technology Internet: d...@cco.caltech.edu
Pasadena, California 91126-0001 USA AOL: Surak TFF

Brian Russel Rourke

May 25, 1994, 4:44:17 PM5/25/94

Isn't the worst one the one where the very mean tar pit kills off

Tasha Yar? I still feel humiliated having watched that one. The first

season and a half or so was pretty bad, IMO. I was surprised that the show

became so good. But that tar pit . . . still nothing could give "Spock's

Brain" or "The World is Hollow and I have Touched the Sky" or other classic

third season episodes from the original show.

Brian Rourke

Scott Dale Robison

May 25, 1994, 7:32:09 PM5/25/94
Brian Russel Rourke (rou...@leland.Stanford.EDU) wrote:
: Isn't the worst one the one where the very mean tar pit kills off
: Tasha Yar? I still feel humiliated having watched that one. The first

Nope, gotta be _The_Child_. Nothing else could be *that* bad. :)
--
Scott Dale Robison | "The end of an incredible legend draws near..."
SysOp, LCARS alpha BBS | Star Trek: The Next Generation - Series Finale

Yasmin Sohrawardy

May 27, 1994, 2:07:35 PM5/27/94
In article <rdhenry.91...@ucrac1.ucr.edu> rdh...@ucrac1.ucr.edu (R. Dan Henry) writes:
>In article <2rvqvr$l...@nic.umass.edu> mwar...@titan.ucs.umass.edu (Michael Warchut) writes:
>>From: mwar...@titan.ucs.umass.edu (Michael Warchut)
>>Subject: Re: MY VOTE FOR THE STUPIDEST TNG EPI
>>Date: 25 May 1994 15:31:07 GMT
>
>> Actually that brings up a good point, that the first and second
>>officers of the flagship had never heard of James Kirk. In DS9, even
>>doctor Bashir knew of Kirk, and made it sound as if he were a big hero to
>>all Starfleet officers, yet Picard and Riker never heard of him? Hmm...
>
>Bashir's on DS9 because he wants to be out on the frontier because that's
>where heroes are made. Bashir wants to be a hero, so naturally, he's all
>read up on the heroes of space travel, like old Kirk.

Bashir said he read about Kirk at the Academy. With all the times Kirk
& Co. saved the universe and the Federation from ultimate destruction, its
hard to believe they aren't required reading at the Academy. In addition,
when Spock said to Picard that he reminds Spock of another captain Spock once
knew, Picard states that he is in good company. This means Picard is
aware of Kirk. Personally I take TNG Season 1 with a grain of salt. They
kept trying to almost erase TOS. For example, Kirk saved Earth and the
universe time and again, yet he was just 'some captain who commanded an
old Enterprise.' One of the 1st season TNG episodes claimed to discover
the first known silicon-based life form. Yet TOS had already done that
in Devil in the Dark (the Horta episode). TNG also claimed to discover
the first shape shifting energy beings in that season. Yet TOS had the
Organians (which were mentioned in future episodes and became the basis
of a treaty). Even the Romulans weren't originally a part of TNG until
the Ferengi idea fell on its face. As TNG became more comfortable with
its place in the Star Trek universe, it became more comfortable with TOS
references.

Just my $.02 worth.

-Yasmin

--
Yasmin Sohrawardy The spear in the Other's heart
Systems Administrator is the spear in your own:

Pamala M. Patton

Jun 1, 1994, 3:05:54 PM6/1/94
joe.c...@his.com wrote:

: >

: > Todd Hawley (tha...@netcom.com) wrote:
: > : In article <Cq6F3...@usenet.ucs.indiana.edu>,
: > : K. A. Brown <kaab...@nickel.ucs.indiana.edu> wrote:
: > : >The stupidest episode of TNG was number 2, I forgot the title.
: > : >It's the one where everyone get's drunk from a virus.
: >
: > I can go along with that.

: >

....text deleted....

My vote -- I don't know the name but it's the one where the planet of drunken
Irish peasants is sold for breeding purposes to the planet of cloned
snobs. It's too embarassing to watch. I especially like the "haughty
lass" who, after a rendezvous with Riker, gives her sot of a father a
lecture on morality! Besides the stereotypes of the Irish which made me
squirm, the whole idea of mating these very different people for the sake
of the species made me ill. It's definitely one to forget.

Pam Patton
ppa...@wlu.edu

K. Udo Weyer

Jun 1, 1994, 5:22:26 PM6/1/94

My vote for stupidest TNG plot was 'the Royale'. This was the
one where the crew visits the hotel that is right out of a
shlocky crime pulp. The whole premise (not to mention execution)
of this episode made me want to do a liquid laugh.

- Biff

mi...@kesco.com

Jun 3, 1994, 8:13:42 AM6/3/94

IW> My vote for stupidest TNG plot was 'the Royale'. This was the
IW>one where the crew visits the hotel that is right out of a
IW>shlocky crime pulp. The whole premise (not to mention execution)
IW>of this episode made me want to do a liquid laugh.

IW>- Biff

I liked that episode :)

| KESCO BBS - Wantagh, N.Y. - (516) 679-0023 |

boo...@delphi.com

Jun 5, 1994, 3:48:46 AM6/5/94
My Vote:
"The Outcast"

Heavy-handed ant-moralist gobbledeygook, and besides, Riker shoulda had the
taste to at least go after a *pretty* woman!!

H J Topping

Jun 6, 1994, 12:17:10 PM6/6/94
IMHO The Royale was an okay-ish episode but the moment which made it was Data playing craps.
"Baby needs a new pair of shoes" - makes me laugh every time, especially as he clicks
his fingers every time he rolls. Okay, so it's a writer's indulgence and the character of Data
has developed beyond such trivia, but I still enjoyed it.
How about Shades of Grey for the worst episode? Saying that, Diana Muldaur's acting reached its
pinnacle in that one ....

Helen Topping

vk...@delphi.com

Jun 16, 1994, 5:31:19 AM6/16/94

Hands down: the one where everyone de-evolves.

J Patankar

Jun 17, 1994, 8:11:05 AM6/17/94
In article <52yvnr...@delphi.com>, vk...@delphi.com writes:

|> Hands down: the one where everyone de-evolves.

Heyyy, come on, 'genesis' can't be that bad. Hands down - the worst TNG
episodes without a shadow of a doubt are 'Justice/Shades of Gray'.

Jawahar (Jo)

In fact, I'm quite looking forward to the episode 'Genesis'. Should be
released within the next four -six wekks on video here in the UK. If I waited
for the BBC to view them I'd have had to wait till infinity.

Timothy Phillips

Jun 17, 1994, 9:45:02 AM6/17/94

Genesis is a perfectly enjoyable story if you realise that the writing crew -
particually Brannon Braga - wanted to do a piss-take episode to go in the final
season. There is no doubt that the logic behind what is happening is total
rubbish and it amazed me how Patrick and Brent could keep a straight face when
they discovered the Spot Iguana and that Picard is going to turn into a lemur
or pygmy marmaset - so it's entertaining on that score.

Also, the episode is actually quite frightening - particually the scenes with
Worf and the Barclay arachnid -, well it made me jump, and even if you're
used to hard-core horror, it's still quite shocking for Star Trek.

Finally, the pastiche has the stereotypical Trek crap ending and a dreadful
line to finish the programme with :

"Quite a day Mr. Barclay. First he turns into a spider and now he has a disease
named after him!" (I'm paraphrasing slightly)

Oh, it's also got that superb comment from Troi on the caviare.

I'd give it 10/10.

Tim

+"If I lose, the Doctor and I go + Tim Phillips, Nottingham University +
+ down together." - Celestial Toymaker + liy...@unicorn.nott.ac.uk +

Alice C. Gibb

Jun 17, 1994, 4:32:18 PM6/17/94
In article <2ts9cu$8...@unicorn.ccc.nottingham.ac.uk> Timothy Phillips,

liy...@unicorn.nott.ac.uk writes:
>"Quite a day Mr. Barclay. First he turns into a spider and now he has a
disease
>named after him!" (I'm paraphrasing slightly)

The major problem being that the whole disease was supposed to de-evolve
you?

Now, I'm just a graduate student in evolutionary biology, but I didn't
know that we were descended from arachnids?

Dr. SideSwipe

Jun 20, 1994, 3:54:32 AM6/20/94
cs...@scs.leeds.ac.uk (J Patankar) writes:

>In article <52yvnr...@delphi.com>, vk...@delphi.com writes:
>|>
>|> Hands down: the one where everyone de-evolves.

>Heyyy, come on, 'genesis' can't be that bad. Hands down - the worst TNG
>episodes without a shadow of a doubt are 'Justice/Shades of Gray'.

Shades of Gray --yes. Justice?? No way! I may just be a red-blooded
American Male but I liked the Edo. We almost got to rid ourselves of Wesly
in the very begining.
What about The Naked Now? That was stupid cuz it was a re-do of the old
series The Naked Time. Or is it the other way around?? Ida know.

Dr.SideSwipe
email:n924...@henson.cc.wwu.edu

Brad Orwall

Jun 22, 1994, 4:39:58 AM6/22/94
The one that stands out in my mind as being total stupid is The Outrageous
Okana. That episode treated the female crewmembers as bimbos rather than
as equal members of the crew. Happily this didn't happen to often.

bro...@cup.edu

Jun 22, 1994, 9:44:15 AM6/22/94
In article <52yvnr...@delphi.com>, vk...@delphi.com writes:

> Hands down: the one where everyone de-evolves.

ooooh earthshattering comentary!! The discussions about TNG episode called
Genesis have been going on for at least 3 months with most people saying they
hate it but noone really came out and said why...criticism without a reason is
nothing more than an unsubstantiated opinion and cannot in any way be taken
seriously.

"If it bleeds, we can kill it..."
Lazarus Long

Alice C. Gibb

Jun 22, 1994, 3:38:30 PM6/22/94
In article <1994Jun22....@cup.edu> , bro...@cup.edu writes:
>ooooh earthshattering comentary!! The discussions about TNG episode
called
>Genesis have been going on for at least 3 months with most people saying
they
>hate it but noone really came out and said why...criticism without a
reason is
>nothing more than an unsubstantiated opinion and cannot in any way be
taken
>seriously.

I thought it was entertaining, but scientifically silly and therefore not
a great episode.

If you were to de-evolve you would (presumably) turn into animal forms
you were descended from. We are not descended from marmoset monkeys, nor
are we descended from spiders! I hate it when episodes don't make sense,
and that is the problem this one had.

Iguanas, by the way, are not in the evolutionary tree of house cats,
either.

They could have consulted any evolutionary biologist and got this one
right!

Timothy W. Lynch

Jun 22, 1994, 6:17:14 PM6/22/94
bro...@cup.edu writes:
>In article <52yvnr...@delphi.com>, vk...@delphi.com writes:
>>
>> Hands down: the one where everyone de-evolves.

>ooooh earthshattering comentary!! The discussions about TNG episode called
>Genesis have been going on for at least 3 months with most people saying they
>hate it but noone really came out and said why...

I beg to differ. Reasons for disliking "Genesis" were shipped in by the
boatload in the fortnight after the episode's premiere. I devoted most of
my review to said reasons, and I believe R. Dan Henry spent a lot of time
working up a pretty full list.

>criticism without a reason is
>nothing more than an unsubstantiated opinion and cannot in any way be taken
>seriously.

Agreed, but I suggest you back up your own criticisms.

Tim Lynch

DAN THE FUNKY MOOSE MAN

Jun 23, 1994, 1:02:00 AM6/23/94
In article <2ua3vm$e...@news.service.uci.edu>, Alice C. Gibb <ag...@DARWIN.BIO.UCI.EDU> writes...

I am a biologist.... in some cases U'r right... but after taking
Evolution 321, I realized that the de-evolution wasn't so bad.... i.e.
Riker... good one... Data got the name wrong unless he was indicating that
riker was on his way to turning into autralopithiscene. at that time when
he spased out he was homo sapien neanderthalus!.... anyway as for spot...
all mammals (well vertabrate animals, reptiles fish birds and what not) are
said to have originated from one main species... which I presume was the reason
why a reptile was introduced... but there is a flaw there... the spider really
got to me 'cause it really doesn't correlate to the evolutionary tree!...
but the nurse was a good example... and if we consider that they were deevolving
into earlier species ... the branch where the pigmy marmaset (sp?) occured may
have allowed data to reason he was turning into one... buh!?

I just wish they showed more species and especially ones from other
planets!!!

have a nice one...

\ \ / \/ ___//
\_ / // \] //~~~
\\ ]] // // From: Dan Da Funky MoOsE Man
\__\ _]_\_ _\\ __/\//
__ _____\ /_\// _
__ _/ \/~~~~~~\/ \__ //
_/ [ ] \/
/[ / \ ]
/ [(0 0)] /-------------------------------\
/ [ ] / Word 2 all Da MoOsE n da world! \
____________~ [ ] --| Resistance is Futile! |
\ < > / \ Styraphome Bad! /
/ \______/ \------------------------------/
] (_)
]

Alice C. Gibb

Jun 23, 1994, 2:56:34 AM6/23/94
In article <23JUN199...@pavo.concordia.ca> DAN THE FUNKY MOOSE MAN,

dl_...@pavo.concordia.ca writes:
> I am a biologist.... in some cases U'r right... but after taking
>Evolution 321, I realized that the de-evolution wasn't so bad.... i.e.
>Riker... good one... Data got the name wrong unless he was indicating
that
>riker was on his way to turning into autralopithiscene. at that time when
>he spased out he was homo sapien neanderthalus!.... anyway as for spot...
>all mammals (well vertabrate animals, reptiles fish birds and what not)
are
>said to have originated from one main species... which I presume was the
reason

>why a reptile was introduced... but there is a flaw there... the spider
really
>got to me 'cause it really doesn't correlate to the evolutionary tree!...
>but the nurse was a good example... and if we consider that they were
deevolving
>into earlier species ... the branch where the pigmy marmaset (sp?)
occured may
>have allowed data to reason he was turning into one... buh!?

I'm willing to over look the marmaset and the iguana, but the spider was
much too much! They should have done a stem-reptile (dinosaur-ish) if
they needed a scary one! The spider thing was really glaring... they
spend all this time making the rest of it pretty consistant and then
throw in something like that! Ugh!

I would have liked to see someone turn into primordial ooze or a
unicellular organism, personally.

By the way, I am an evolutionary morphologist.

Alice

an10...@anon.penet.fi

Jun 23, 1994, 12:57:11 PM6/23/94
but the spider was
> much too much! They should have done a stem-reptile (dinosaur-ish) if
> they needed a scary one! The spider thing was really glaring... they
> spend all this time making the rest of it pretty consistant and then
> throw in something like that! Ugh!

Yeah the spider doesn't quite fit in, but I think this is a deliberate
prank by the writer or the producers. We learned in an earlier episode
that Barclay is mortally afraid of spiders. (The episode where he discovers
survivors of a transport accident suspended in the beam and saves them.)
In the last scene, O'brien brings his tarantula for Barclay to see and he
freaks when it starts crawling on his arm. It would be scary to change
into the thing you fear the most wouldn't it?

george fisher

Jun 23, 1994, 2:01:51 PM6/23/94
an10...@anon.penet.fi (an10...@anon.penet.fi) wrote:
: but the spider was

Sorry, it's much worse thatn that. If your genes started protein synthsis
the way they depicted, you would just die, and quickly at that.

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
/ /
/ /
/ George J. Fisher If God is Love /
/ University of And Love is Blind /
/ Nebraska-Linclon And Stevie Wonder is /
/ Blind /
/ gfisher@unlinfo. Then Stevie Wonder is /
/ unl.edu God /
/ /
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

BAWI...@unccvm.uncc.edu

Jun 23, 1994, 8:46:05 PM6/23/94
"scary to change into the thing you fear the most. . ." I am willing
to bet that when they were thinking about a story for that episode-
slot, someone said to the writers "OK, tell me your worst nightmare."
---and they used as many elements from the reported nightmares as they
could. So what if it didn't all hold together from a biological point
of view? It accomplished what it set out to do--in my case at least--
namely frightening the bejeesus out of the viewer!

Kelly Sedinger

Jun 23, 1994, 4:51:41 PM6/23/94
After reading this entire thread and reflecting on each and every episode
mentioned, I must say that I still think that TNG at its worst is still
pretty damned good. I can honestly say I never encountered an episode
that made we want to hit the Power button on the TV.

---
The Universe, and all it encompasses, is one,
including the works of man; for who is man but
the work of some higher force?

Kelly Sedinger sedi...@marx.sbu.edu

Lloyd R. Parker

Jun 24, 1994, 10:02:03 AM6/24/94
Kelly Sedinger (sedi...@sbu.edu) wrote:
: After reading this entire thread and reflecting on each and every episode

: Kelly Sedinger sedi...@marx.sbu.edu
: =====================================================

No, but there are some I won't watch a second time: Genesis,
Masks, Shades of Gray to name 3.

Paul Fritschle

Jun 24, 1994, 3:48:16 PM6/24/94

My vote would have to go for the entire second season pretty much
(with the exception of our first encounter with the Borg, which I
believe was that season). I always hoped that the first episode of the
third season would show Dr. Crusher stepping out of the shower, and us
finding that the entire thing was Wesley's dream. (Dallas reference,
for those who might be too young--Dallas erased an entire season (or
maybe 2) that way).
--

Paul Fritschle pfri...@skid.PS.UCI.EDU
Puritanism--The haunting fear that someone, somewhere may be happy.

eric...@illuminati.io.com

Jun 24, 1994, 5:58:54 PM6/24/94
Brad Orwall (brado...@delphi.com) wrote:
: The one that stands out in my mind as being total stupid is The Outrageous

: Okana. That episode treated the female crewmembers as bimbos rather than
: as equal members of the crew. Happily this didn't happen to often.

My vote goes to "The Next Phase." It was the most illogical episode ever.
If they couldn't react with normal matter how could they breathe (air is
normal matter!)? Hear (isn't sound air molecules vibrating against the inner
ear?)? Why could they run through walls but not fall through the floor?

Eric

Kenneth Jubal DeMonn

Jun 26, 1994, 6:37:07 PM6/26/94
In article <1994Jun22....@cup.edu> bro...@cup.edu writes:

:ooooh earthshattering comentary!! The discussions about TNG episode called

:Genesis have been going on for at least 3 months with most people saying they
:hate it but noone really came out and said why...criticism without a reason is
:nothing more than an unsubstantiated opinion and cannot in any way be taken
:seriously.

Ye gawds, mon! My file of the "*Hideous* Biology in Genesis" thread runs
to 250K. While some of it was mindless, and a good deal redundant (as
various articles quoted the same text) I assure you that many came out in
*very* great detail as to why they didn't like that episode. Real
briefly: 1) the science sucked wienerwurst, 2) there were a multitude
of plot holes, and 3) the ending was far too quick and neat. And for me,
tho this is a matter of taste, growling animals just aren't that scary.
Go re-read the threads that appeared at the time, and you'll all kinds of
reasons offered to support the criticisms.
--
Kenneth Jubal DeMonn | "Graduate students are narrowly focused
kde...@vela.acs.oakland.edu | on some rather unimportant problems,