Cherryh update

r.r...@thevine.net

Aug 27, 2005, 11:14:58 PM8/27/05
For those of you who don't read the blog, she's done with _Fortress of
Ice_, and starting on the next book, which appears to be the
long-awaited Cyteen follow-up.

Rebecca

Mike Schilling

Aug 27, 2005, 11:42:56 PM8/27/05

<r.r...@thevine.net> wrote in message

> For those of you who don't read the blog, she's done with _Fortress of
> Ice_, and starting on the next book, which appears to be the
> long-awaited Cyteen follow-up.

Woo-hoo!

Next, we get LWE to talk WJW into writing the sequel to _City on Fire_ via
the subscription model, find some way to persuade Goldman to finish
_Buttercup's Baby_, conjure Dickson's ghost to finish the Childe saga...

Dorothy J Heydt

Aug 27, 2005, 11:42:29 PM8/27/05
In article <asa2h15fpaonkvfmn...@4ax.com>,

Oooooo!

Dorothy J. Heydt
Albany, California
djh...@kithrup.com

Dorothy J Heydt

Aug 28, 2005, 1:07:02 AM8/28/05
In article <4paQe.6336$L77....@newssvr19.news.prodigy.com>,

Mike Schilling <mscotts...@hotmail.com> wrote:

><r.r...@thevine.net> wrote in message
>> For those of you who don't read the blog, she's done with _Fortress of
>> Ice_, and starting on the next book, which appears to be the
>> long-awaited Cyteen follow-up.
>

>Woo-hoo!
>
>Next, we get LWE to talk WJW into writing the sequel to _City on Fire_ via
>the subscription model...

Nah, get him to do some more Drake Maijstral.

Mike Schilling

Aug 28, 2005, 2:00:03 AM8/28/05

"Dorothy J Heydt" <djh...@kithrup.com> wrote in message

I'm for that, and you are, and so are dozens of other people. But WJW
himself says things like "The problem with the Maijstral books wasn't that
they were hard to write (they weren't), but that [...] nobody bought them."

Dorothy J Heydt

Aug 28, 2005, 2:25:40 AM8/28/05
In article <DpcQe.9077$A%1.7...@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com>,

Mike Schilling <mscotts...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>"Dorothy J Heydt" <djh...@kithrup.com> wrote in message
>> In article <4paQe.6336$L77....@newssvr19.news.prodigy.com>,
>> Mike Schilling <mscotts...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>><r.r...@thevine.net> wrote in message
>>>

>>>Woo-hoo!
>>>
>>>Next, we get LWE to talk WJW into writing the sequel to _City on Fire_ via
>>>the subscription model...
>>
>> Nah, get him to do some more Drake Maijstral.
>
>I'm for that, and you are, and so are dozens of other people. But WJW
>himself says things like "The problem with the Maijstral books wasn't that
>they were hard to write (they weren't), but that [...] nobody bought them."

Well, then, returning to the last post but one, see if he can put
it online. THAT I'd pay for. (I looked at the first couple
chapters of Ethshar online and bounced off the unborn babies'
blood, sorry, Lawrence.)

Mike Schilling

Aug 28, 2005, 3:06:03 AM8/28/05

"Dorothy J Heydt" <djh...@kithrup.com> wrote in message

Interestingly, you, I, LWE, and WJW all participated in a thread that was, I
think, the genesis of the Ethshar experiment. Lawrence mentioned Ethshar as
a series he couldn't continue because publishers weren't interested, and WJW
mentioned both the Maijstral and Metropolitan/City on Fire series.

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.arts.sf.written/tree/browse_frm/thread/b849131adc2a89e4/21d0bc7b2b18aeb4

Damien Neil

Aug 28, 2005, 2:52:13 AM8/28/05

And there was much rejoicing!

- Damien

Peter Huebner

Aug 28, 2005, 5:46:10 AM8/28/05
In article <4paQe.6336$L77....@newssvr19.news.prodigy.com>,
mscotts...@hotmail.com says...
Might one submit the sequel to 'Stars in My Pocket..." to this canon?
Actually, I got bored waiting for it. Recently half re-read 'Stars..'
and it's still pretty good, I will finish re-reading it just as soon as
I get around to it again.

-P.

Peter Huebner

Aug 28, 2005, 5:47:32 AM8/28/05
In article <asa2h15fpaonkvfmn...@4ax.com>,
r.r...@thevine.net says...

What kind of animal is 'Fortress of Ice'? I love Cherryh SF, and
consistently bounce off her Fantasy efforts ... hard.

Message has been deleted

Damien Sullivan

Aug 28, 2005, 11:58:22 AM8/28/05
Peter Huebner <no....@this.address> wrote:

>What kind of animal is 'Fortress of Ice'? I love Cherryh SF, and
>consistently bounce off her Fantasy efforts ... hard.

Should be a fifth book in her Fortress fantasy series.

-xx- Damien X-)

Mike Schilling

Aug 28, 2005, 12:23:14 PM8/28/05

"Peter Huebner" <no....@this.address> wrote in message

> In article <4paQe.6336$L77....@newssvr19.news.prodigy.com>,
> mscotts...@hotmail.com says...
>>
>> <r.r...@thevine.net> wrote in message
>> > For those of you who don't read the blog, she's done with _Fortress of
>> > Ice_, and starting on the next book, which appears to be the
>> > long-awaited Cyteen follow-up.
>>

>> Woo-hoo!
>>
>> Next, we get LWE to talk WJW into writing the sequel to _City on Fire_
>> via
>> the subscription model, find some way to persuade Goldman to finish
>> _Buttercup's Baby_, conjure Dickson's ghost to finish the Childe saga...
>>

> Might one submit the sequel to 'Stars in My Pocket..." to this canon?

Not for me; it's the one Delany book I've never been able to finish (making
it unlike, say, _Dhalgren_)

Lawrence Watt-Evans

Aug 28, 2005, 1:26:25 PM8/28/05
On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 06:25:40 GMT, djh...@kithrup.com (Dorothy J
Heydt) wrote:

>Well, then, returning to the last post but one, see if he can put
>it online. THAT I'd pay for. (I looked at the first couple
>chapters of Ethshar online and bounced off the unborn babies'
>blood, sorry, Lawrence.)

Huh. That's the most gruesome line in the whole novel, I think.

--
Read the new Ethshar novel online! http://www.ethshar.com/thesprigganexperiment0.html

r.r...@thevine.net

Aug 28, 2005, 2:32:25 PM8/28/05
On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 21:47:32 +1200, Peter Huebner
<no....@this.address> wrote:

>In article <asa2h15fpaonkvfmn...@4ax.com>,
>r.r...@thevine.net says...
>> For those of you who don't read the blog, she's done with _Fortress of
>> Ice_, and starting on the next book, which appears to be the
>> long-awaited Cyteen follow-up.
>>
>> Rebecca
>
>What kind of animal is 'Fortress of Ice'? I love Cherryh SF, and
>consistently bounce off her Fantasy efforts ... hard.

Fortress of Ice is the fifth book in the Fortress of.... series. I did
a review of them a while back. (Google REV: Cherryh's "Fortress"
series (long!)) If you bounce off her fantasy, you probably won't
like this one.

Rebecca

John Hamby

Aug 28, 2005, 4:45:37 PM8/28/05

Thank you Rebecca! I keep trying to keep up with the blog but the ice
skating reports end up defeating me after a few days. I keep seeing the
word 'ice' only to realize it does not have to do with the book.

So hopefully two books in 2006 and maybe Cyteen II in 2007. Looking
forward to all three.

---
JSH

William December Starr

Aug 28, 2005, 10:30:12 PM8/28/05
"Mike Schilling" <mscotts...@hotmail.com> said:

>>> Next, we get LWE to talk WJW into writing the sequel to _City on
>>> Fire_ via the subscription model...
>>
>> Nah, get him to do some more Drake Maijstral.
>
> I'm for that, and you are, and so are dozens of other people. But
> WJW himself says things like "The problem with the Maijstral books
> wasn't that they were hard to write (they weren't), but that [...]
> nobody bought them."

And just for the record, here's one vote against any WJW wasting his
time and talent on any more Drake Maijstral stuff. (Sank you, I be
here all week, don't forget to tip your waitress.)

--
William December Starr <wds...@panix.com>

r.r...@thevine.net

Aug 29, 2005, 1:57:26 AM8/29/05

And to follow up to myself, from what she has said in the blog,
there's another novel yet in the Fortress series. Oh, and this recent
one is going to be a long one.

Rebecca

John DiFool

Aug 30, 2005, 9:26:07 PM8/30/05

As opposed to the even-more-longly-awaited Morgaine
follow-up I guess...

nomadi...@hotmail.com

Aug 30, 2005, 10:00:30 PM8/30/05
Me too.

Not one of my more informative posts, that's all I really have to say.

r.r...@thevine.net

Aug 30, 2005, 11:47:25 PM8/30/05

Hey, I keep my fingers crossed for some other follow-ups as well: the
Cloud's Rider series, Morgaine, and the Faery in Shadow book. We can
hope!

One thing that she mentions on her website is that it helps to write
the publisher of the series that you want a follow-up to, since the
longer a series has been out of print, the more difficult it is to
bring a new book out in the series. For some reason, the publisher
feels like they have to bring out all the books in the series again,
and they want to know that the financial aspects are more likely to
work out than to not work out.

Rebecca

Thomas Lindgren

Aug 31, 2005, 6:59:26 AM8/31/05

r.r...@thevine.net writes:

> For some reason, the publisher feels like they have to bring out all
> the books in the series again, and they want to know that the
> financial aspects are more likely to work out than to not work out.

Not so strange. Presumably, they want to attract a greater audience
than just those who vaguely remember some series where the last
installment appeared 10 years ago.

(Actually, it looks like EXILE'S GATE was published in 1988, so it's
17 years. Cripes. Where did the years go? Not that I'd mind another
one in that series.)

Best,
Thomas
--
Thomas Lindgren
"It's becoming popular? It must be in decline." -- Isaiah Berlin

Message has been deleted

r.r...@thevine.net

Aug 31, 2005, 11:06:53 AM8/31/05
On 31 Aug 2005 13:39:38 GMT, Omixochitl <omixoch...@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>Thomas Lindgren <***********@*****.***> wrote in

>> r.r...@thevine.net writes:
>>
>>> For some reason, the publisher feels like they have to bring out all
>>> the books in the series again, and they want to know that the
>>> financial aspects are more likely to work out than to not work out.
>>
>> Not so strange. Presumably, they want to attract a greater audience
>> than just those who vaguely remember some series where the last
>> installment appeared 10 years ago.
>

>OTOH, if the story stands alone OK then does it matter if the audience
>remembers there were previous installments or not? I read _Exile's Gate_
>before I knew it was 4th in a series.

It may not matter to the reader, but it does apparently to the
publisher. From the Cherryh.com:

Certain other series await my convincing the publishers to buy
another: the longer the series, the more difficult this becomes,
paradoxically...because when books are as closely connected as the
books of these sets, it means bringing back into print every book in
the set when the new book comes out, a logistical and marketing
problem. The ones in this class are: Chan, Moraine, and the Rider
books. (What probably needs to happen, she said, laughing, is for all
of you to rush out, buy up every last copy and force them out of print
long enough for the publisher to think of a simultaneous re-issue.)

Rebecca

Thomas Lindgren

Aug 31, 2005, 7:46:05 PM8/31/05
Omixochitl <omixoch...@yahoo.com> writes:

> Thomas Lindgren <***********@*****.***> wrote in
>

> > r.r...@thevine.net writes:
> >
> >> For some reason, the publisher feels like they have to bring out all
> >> the books in the series again, and they want to know that the
> >> financial aspects are more likely to work out than to not work out.
> >
> > Not so strange. Presumably, they want to attract a greater audience
> > than just those who vaguely remember some series where the last
> > installment appeared 10 years ago.
>

> OTOH, if the story stands alone OK then does it matter if the audience
> remembers there were previous installments or not? I read _Exile's Gate_
> before I knew it was 4th in a series.

Well, I know I'd certainly get cranky if I happened upon EXILE'S GATE,
loved it, and then found that the previous installments were out of
print. And I guess the publisher would then weep blood if they heard
that. I agree on the general point, though: a well-written
sequel/prequel does not strictly require the related books. The author
just has to make it a book equally interesting (etc etc) to the new as
well as the returning reader.

I guess even so that the author and publisher have to be careful to
maximize the set of potential readers; I assume reissuing previous
books is just a publishing rule of thumb for audience-maximization in
these situations. It's annoying when it apparently blocks interesting
old series, of course.

Message has been deleted

Duke of URL

Sep 13, 2005, 6:51:09 AM9/13/05
r.r...@thevine.net @ r.r...@thevine.net

> For those of you who don't read the blog, she's done with _Fortress of
> Ice_, and starting on the next book, which appears to be the
> long-awaited Cyteen follow-up.
>
> Rebecca

Oh good!

--
Once a suicide bomber, always a suicide bomber