Hugh Cook

Nancy A. Miller

Dec 10, 1993, 3:41:30 PM12/10/93
Hi folks,

I just finished reading _Wizards and Warriors_ by Hugh Cook and noticed
that there are another 8 books apparently set in the same world. I really
enjoyed the first one; are the rest as good?

Thanks for any info,

Nancy

Nachison,Beth

Dec 11, 1993, 11:45:00 PM12/11/93
In article <namCHu...@netcom.com>, n...@netcom.com (Nancy A. Miller) writes...

>Hi folks,
>
>I just finished reading _Wizards and Warriors_ by Hugh Cook and noticed
>that there are another 8 books apparently set in the same world. I really
>enjoyed the first one; are the rest as good?

I think Wizards & Warriors is the same book published in the US as
Wizard War. A couple of the sequels were published here in fragmented
form, and were much inferior, but I don't know what their real titles
were. What are the other 8 books called? Who publishes them?

I recall, the last time Hugh Cook came up on this list,
there was Great Confusion about who he was, what he had written,
and where or whether any of it was available or worth reading.
I second the request for information & recommendations!

Beth
nach...@scsu.ctstateu.edu

David DeLaney

Dec 12, 1993, 5:47:55 AM12/12/93
In article <11DEC199...@scsud.ctstateu.edu> nach...@scsud.ctstateu.edu

Well, from my list, I have (before I stopped buying them because they really
weren't getting better), published in the USA:
Wizard War, The Questing Hero, The Hero's Return, The Oracle, Lords of the Sword
(this last may be your "Wizards and Warriors"?).

Dave "walls of books" DeLaney
--
David DeLaney: dbd@(utkux.utcc | panacea.phys | enigma.phys).utk.edu - collect
them all! Disclaimer: AFAIK, *nobody* speaks for U.T.Knoxville (consistently);

St Clair Malcolm James

Dec 13, 1993, 4:34:34 AM12/13/93

>Hi folks,

>Thanks for any info,

>Nancy

Hello Nancy,

The answer to your question is YES YES YES. In fact
these books just get better and better, personaly i liked
books 5 and 6 the best but i loved all the rest to.

David Halliwell

Dec 13, 1993, 10:00:01 AM12/13/93

In article i...@lsupoz.apana.org.au, ia...@lsupoz.apana.org.au (Ian Mackereth) writes:
> Nancy A. Miller (n...@netcom.com) wrote:
> : I just finished reading _Wizards and Warriors_ by Hugh Cook and noticed

> : that there are another 8 books apparently set in the same world. I really
> : enjoyed the first one; are the rest as good?
>
> The first two or three are similarly epic in scope, but then he runs
> out of the big storylines and starts filling in the gaps.
>
> This is quite intriguing to read but is a rather different feel to the
> first one or two. I was disappointed to begin with but have now become
> fairly satisfied by them, albeit on a different level.
>
> If the first book is The Silmarillion, the later books are Hobbits!

Hmm, the following stories are not so much in the epic style, but IMHO much
better in their own different styles. The _Wizards and Warriors_ set a
timeline of epic events to be inflicted on Hugh Cook's victims in the
other stories.

The best bit of the rest of the series is the repeated change of viewpoint
- heroes in one book are villains in another, heroic quests are seen
as macho posturing - and it is fun to try to unravel the narrative threads.

I was disappointed that the series ended so abruptly - this was one series
where a unifying ending was less satisfying than just abandoning the
protagonists in midstream.

David

Mark Landin

Dec 15, 1993, 11:34:43 AM12/15/93
ia...@lsupoz.apana.org.au (Ian Mackereth) writes:

>Nancy A. Miller (n...@netcom.com) wrote:

>: I just finished reading _Wizards and Warriors_ by Hugh Cook and noticed

>: that there are another 8 books apparently set in the same world. I really
>: enjoyed the first one; are the rest as good?

>The first two or three are similarly epic in scope, but then he runs

>out of the big storylines and starts filling in the gaps.

>This is quite intriguing to read but is a rather different feel to the
>first one or two. I was disappointed to begin with but have now become
>fairly satisfied by them, albeit on a different level.

>If the first book is The Silmarillion, the later books are Hobbits!

Well, I liked the Hobbit, but not anything after the first books.
Acutally, there was some feeling on the net in earlier times (and perhaps
still so) that Hugh Cook is a "generic" author's name, and that actually
different authors wrote different parts of the series. The change in style
between "Wizard War" and "The Questing Hero" is pretty evident, so this
may be where the first author switch occurred.

>--
> Ian Mackereth | His .sig bore this strange device:
> ia...@lsupoz.apana.org.au |
> or Fido 3:712/520 | "Excelsior!"

* Mark C. Landin Northeastern St. Univ *
* lan...@cherokee.nsuok.edu Tahlequah, OK *
* "Living in the pools, they soon forget about the sea" - Neil Peart, RUSH *

Ian Mackereth

A Adams

Dec 12, 1993, 7:24:23 AM12/12/93

:
: I recall, the last time Hugh Cook came up on this list,
: there was Great Confusion about who he was, what he had written,
: and where or whether any of it was available or worth reading.
: I second the request for information & recommendations!
:

UK edition titles:
The ... and The ...: (i.e. The Wizards and the Warriors is book1)
1)Wizards Warriors
2)Wordsmiths Warguild
3)Women Warlord
4)Walrus Warwolf
5)Wicked Witless
6)Wishstone Wonderworkers
7)Wazir Witch
8)Worshippers Way
9)Werewolf Wormlord
10)Witchlord Weaponmaster

--
TTFN, Zaphod (Two Heads, No Brain)*E-mail*csc...@gps.leeds.ac.uk****
************************************snail*Flat 18,26 Brudenell Road**

Fred Nuttall

Dec 19, 1993, 2:03:24 AM12/19/93
lan...@cherokee.nsuok.edu (Mark Landin) writes:

>ia...@lsupoz.apana.org.au (Ian Mackereth) writes:

>>Nancy A. Miller (n...@netcom.com) wrote:
>>: I just finished reading _Wizards and Warriors_ by Hugh Cook and noticed
>>: that there are another 8 books apparently set in the same world. I really
>>: enjoyed the first one; are the rest as good?

>>The first two or three are similarly epic in scope, but then he runs
>>out of the big storylines and starts filling in the gaps.

>>This is quite intriguing to read but is a rather different feel to the
>>first one or two. I was disappointed to begin with but have now become
>>fairly satisfied by them, albeit on a different level.

>>If the first book is The Silmarillion, the later books are Hobbits!

>Well, I liked the Hobbit, but not anything after the first books.
>Acutally, there was some feeling on the net in earlier times (and perhaps
>still so) that Hugh Cook is a "generic" author's name, and that actually
>different authors wrote different parts of the series. The change in style
>between "Wizard War" and "The Questing Hero" is pretty evident, so this
>may be where the first author switch occurred.

I have met and talked (briefly) to Hugh Cook. He is quite real. He is
a good friend of my brother-in-law. I heard an interview on the radio
about the time the first book, "The Wizards and the Warriors" was
published in 1986. Hugh then had an idea of a series of about twenty
books, and outlines of a fair number of them already laid out. Thinking
back, I believe the outlines went well beyond the "big" books.

I have a couple of the books. I liked them for their refreshingly
unheroic fantasy, a friend of mine really disliked them for the same
reason, so YMMV - you have been warned. Hugh also has the disconcerting
habit of blowing away central characters that I really liked, a
distinctly un-"traditional fantasy" thing to do.

I must admit the idea of buying the whole series at NZ prices puts me
off :-( And I find the titles (all "W"s) disconcertingly similar...
which makes me doubt that a book called "The Questing Hero" is written
by Hugh and part of this series. It could be so, I just haven't seen it
around...

Of course, my statement above vouching for Hugh Cook's existence only
holds if you believe in *MY* existence... [poster of this article
disappears in puff of smoke]

Fred Nuttall, Computer Centre, University of Auckland, New Zealand.
<fj.nu...@auckland.ac.nz>

vernon amos

Dec 19, 1993, 6:32:11 PM12/19/93

If anyone is interested, hugh cook did indeed write the questing hero
_and_ wizard war ,but they ae both from the wizards and warriors book.

In the US they have just been split up, and the cover artwork has been
changed..both of these changes suck bigtime IMO, i'll bet they cut a lotta
stuff out of 'em too...

As to the person who posted that the books were from different authors
like a 'thieves world' sort of thing, well, i doubt it very much, his
style is just very different from anything else i've ever read, and its
the same in all his books..

Does anyone know whether the unadulterated, UK versions are available
in America?, (i got my copies in Fiji).

And how many is he up to?...I love these books, kinda like douglas
adams on PCP :), tho i found the second on a little slow, but the rest are
excellent, 'the walrus and the warwolf' is one of the best IMO..
if it seems like i'm raving, well, its coz i am :).

-vernon

Jacob C Kesinger

Dec 20, 1993, 3:14:22 PM12/20/93
vea...@nyx10.cs.du.edu (vernon amos) writes:

> If anyone is interested, hugh cook did indeed write the questing hero
>_and_ wizard war ,but they ae both from the wizards and warriors book.

Hm. The series as published so far in the US (to my knowledge):

SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS!

Wizard War (Miphon, Hearst, Blackwood, et al. Seems to me to be central book)
The Questing Hero (with wossname. Includes some from WW)
The Hero's Return (or something like that, finishing of previous)
The Oracle (with Yar Olas (or something like that). Ties to WW are different
view of siege of Castle)
Lords of the Sword (ties to WW are Elkor Alish (the other warrior, formerly
Hearst's friend), and Miphon (did they have the release of
the Swarms?). Ends on a cliffhanger, when's the sequel?)
END SPOILERS! END SPOILERS! END SPOILERS!

> In the US they have just been split up, and the cover artwork has been
>changed..both of these changes suck bigtime IMO, i'll bet they cut a lotta
>stuff out of 'em too...

I read both the U.S. and ~U.S. editions of the first one (WW in U.S.), and I
didn't notice any change (it was a long time ago that I read the not(U.S.)
edition, though...)
The covers for the second-fifth ones suck, IMHO, but the first wasn't _too_ bad.

> As to the person who posted that the books were from different authors
>like a 'thieves world' sort of thing, well, i doubt it very much, his
>style is just very different from anything else i've ever read, and its
>the same in all his books..

Yeah. I agree. I haven't seen anything else like it.

> Does anyone know whether the unadulterated, UK versions are available
>in America?, (i got my copies in Fiji).

> And how many is he up to?...I love these books, kinda like douglas
>adams on PCP :), tho i found the second on a little slow, but the rest are
>excellent, 'the walrus and the warwolf' is one of the best IMO..
>if it seems like i'm raving, well, its coz i am :).

Which one is this in America?

I've read the first and fourth _many_ times, but the second-third, while good,
weren't great. The fifth is good, except the ending (where's the rest?)

--Jake (more! More! MORE!)

>-vernon

BG TRAISH

Dec 22, 1993, 9:05:08 AM12/22/93
How do the Chronicles of an Age of Darkness match up to Wizard War?

From John Wenn's authorlists:

The Wizards & the Warriors (1986) [= Wizard War]
The Wordsmiths and the Warguild (1987)
= The Questing Hero (1988)
+ The Hero's Return (1988)
The Women and the Warlords (1987) [= The Oracle]
The Walrus and the Warwolf (1988)
= Lords of the Sword (1991) [first 1/3]
The Wicked and the Witless (1989)
The Wishstone and the Wonderworkers (1990)
The Wazir and the Witch (1990)
The Werewolf and the Wormlord (1991)
The Worshippers and the Way (1992)
The Witchlord and the Weaponmaster (1992)

And incidently there is also:

The Shift (1986)

Non-Genre Fiction
Plague Summer (1980)

Nonfiction
The Wildest Dreams of Kathmandu [wip]

--
Barry Traish 93 Stanningley Road,Armley,Leeds,LS12 3NW,UK. Tel 0532 638970