Rarity from the Hollow: 3rd Book Review

robert eggleton

Dec 23, 2006, 7:13:34 AM12/23/06
Review of RARITY FROM THE HOLLOW by Robert Eggleton
A LACY DAWN ADVENTURE
fatcat Press, June 2006

Lacy Dawn's father relives the Gulf War, her mother has lost her teeth,
and her best friend is killed by her own father. Life in The Hollow in
West Virginia isn't great. But Lacy Dawn has one advantage--she's been
befrended by a semi-organic semi-robot (DotCom, alias Buddy) who works
with her to 'cure' her parents. Buddy wants something in exchange,
though. It's up to Lacy Dawn to save the universe.

First, though, Lacy Dawn has some growing up to do--and she's got to
manage to survive as well. With Buddy's help, Lacy Dawn is able to
change the environment in which she lives, and is even able to become
one of the top shoppers in The Mall, which is the planet that dominates
the universe because of its invention of shopping. What neither Buddy,
nor The Manager who runs The Mall, will tell her, though, is exactly
what threatens the universe or how she is supposed to solve this
problem.

Somehow, Lacy Dawn must turn her problems into allies, continue to get
advice from her dead friend Faith, survive her father's abuse, and
avoid becoming a parent in her pre-teen years. It's a lot to ask of a
child, but neither The Hollow nor the Universe is a forgiving place.

Author Robert Eggleton uses a casual style to create a sometimes funny,
sometimes disturbing picture of a young woman who believes she is
responsible for fixing her parents--and who manages to do so. The
gradual humanization of Buddy serves as a microcosm for the entire
story, which involves the gradual humanization of everyone Lacy Dawn
comes into contact with (including her dog, a piece of firewood, and
multiple cockroaches).

The subject matter for RARITY FROM THE HOLLOW is sufficiently
depressing that it takes the fantasy element to allow a happy
ending--and that is exactly what Eggleton provides. Input jacks on the
backs of skulls, large quantities of really excellent 'bud' and large
amounts of sex appeal become key to solving the universe's problems.

Caution: frequent references to sexual acts and child abuse make this
story unsuitable for some readers. Eggleton's breezy writing, though,
keeps up reader interest.

Reviewed 12/21/06

Check it out at FatCat Press

Rob Preece, Publisher

**********

I'm a therapist in a children's mental health program in West Virginia
-- the state with the highest rate of child maltreatment deaths in the
U.S. Author proceeds from the sale of my first science fiction novel
are donated to prevent child abuse. I can't afford to advertise, but I
have had some success through pro bono contributions, including three
glowing book reviews. Please see the following links.

Thank you for the opportunity to let people know about this project.

Robert Eggleton

www.fatcatpress.com - the publisher, a few blurbs by authors, click on
the book cover for a sample and to order (more blurbs, including one by
Piers Anthony, are available on request).

www.wingspanquarterly.com -- a satirical essay about promotion of
Rarity from the Hollow, click on the cover, then my name -- Robert
Eggleton.

www.mobipocket.com/en/eBooks/BookDetails.asp?BookID=30929 -- $2 more
here, but different electronic formats, such as to take on the trail or
to the beach.

www.okalrel.org/lynda_reads/2006/11/rarity-from-hollow-by-robert-eggleton.html
--a recent mention, with intention to review.

www.specficworld.com/books/index.html -- a site that gave me free
advertising for a year.

www.baryon-online.com/baryon103/rarho.html -- 1st professional review,
by a famous science fiction reviewer.

http://www.missourireview.com/tmr-blog/?p=310 -- second recent review
by an editor of a major book review firm.

http://katlynstewart.com/author.htm -- 1st free advertising on a child
abuse survivor site.

http://www.booksforabuck.com/sfpages/sf_06/rarity_hollow.html -- most
recent book review.

There have been other contributors that were not mentioned above so as
to eliminate redundancy of content. If you are one, please do not feel
slighted. I appreciate your contribution and so do maltreated children.

Bill Snyder

Dec 23, 2006, 10:40:31 AM12/23/06
On 23 Dec 2006 04:13:34 -0800, "robert eggleton"
<robe...@charter.net> wrote:

>Review of RARITY FROM THE HOLLOW

"This is a book by a shamelessly spamming asshole, who evidently
imagines he can get people to buy his piece of crap if he only
harasses them long enough. Don't encourage him."

--
Bill Snyder [This space unintentionally left blank.]

_ berge @hotmail.com.invalid Eric D. Berge

Dec 23, 2006, 11:42:08 AM12/23/06
<robe...@charter.net> wrote:

>Review of RARITY FROM THE HOLLOW by Robert Eggleton
>A LACY DAWN ADVENTURE
>fatcat Press, June 2006

You're now spamming a good review from your vanity publisher? BFD.

Get lost, and take your "book" with you.

Sea Wasp

Dec 23, 2006, 1:15:22 PM12/23/06

His spam has succeeded in two things:

1) Making sure I'll NEVER look at his book

2) Getting something like 300k hits on Google.

I will concede that he does manage to spread his name around in an
impressive manner, rather like the crap flung around a cage by monkeys.

--
Sea Wasp
/^\

lclough

Dec 23, 2006, 4:08:22 PM12/23/06

It was a -sucky- review, one that will repulse readers better
than a boatload of herring left out in the sun for a week. If
this is from the author's own vanity publisher, I'd sue.

Brenda

--
---------
Brenda W. Clough

Recent short fiction:
FUTURE WASHINGTON (WSFA Press, October '05)
http://www.futurewashington.com

FIRST HEROES (TOR, May '04)
http://members.aol.com/wenamun/firstheroes.html

Mike C

Dec 23, 2006, 5:55:34 PM12/23/06

I wonder what the overall effect is? I imagine the people he irritates
far outnumber those that would buy the book based on the
above..."review".

Personally I'd never heard of the book, after seeing this idiot spam
usenet groups and internet fora left, right and centre (and regularly
bleat the "I'm new to all this and don't really understand the internet
or the rules" excuse each time) not only will I never purchase, promote
or recommend this book, but if I ever saw it in a shop, I'd be inclined
to hide it behind the copies of Night Travels of the Elven Vampire. If
there were any copies of that either.

Luckily I'm unlikely to ever see a copy of this in a bookstore.

Mike

Mike Schilling

Dec 23, 2006, 8:40:08 PM12/23/06
Mike C wrote:

> Personally I'd never heard of the book, after seeing this idiot spam
> usenet groups and internet fora left, right and centre (and regularly
> bleat the "I'm new to all this and don't really understand the
> internet or the rules" excuse each time) not only will I never
> purchase, promote or recommend this book, but if I ever saw it in a
> shop, I'd be inclined to hide it behind the copies of Night Travels
> of the Elven Vampire. If there were any copies of that either.
>
> Luckily I'm unlikely to ever see a copy of this in a bookstore.

Depends how thick it is and if they have chairs with uneven legs.

robert eggleton

Dec 24, 2006, 7:31:21 AM12/24/06

Hi Robert,

Thanks for sending me RARITY FROM THE HOLLOW for review. I enjoyed it,
found
it disturbing, and have to suspect that you are a very interesting
person.

Anyway, here's my review:
http://www.booksforabuck.com/sfpages/sf_06/rarity_hollow.html

Please feel free to quote from, link to, or otherwise use my review as
best
meets your needs.

I've linked to your Fatcat and Mobipocket pages. If you add additional
sales
venues, let me know and I'll link to those as well.

Rob Preece
Publisher, www.BooksForABuck.com

Mike Schilling

Dec 24, 2006, 12:53:44 PM12/24/06
Thanks for sending me SPAM FROM THE ASSHOLE for review. It's damned cold
here this time of year, and if you could send a few hundred more copies, and
maybe some marshmallows, I'd appreciate it.

htn963

Dec 24, 2006, 9:24:18 PM12/24/06
lclough wrote:

> It was a -sucky- review, one that will repulse readers better
> than a boatload of herring left out in the sun for a week.

This is basically how garrum (Roman) and Vietnamese fish sauce
(nuoc mam) are made, albeit with a different fish and in sealed casks.

--
Ht

robert eggleton

Dec 25, 2006, 4:09:28 AM12/25/06
If you'd had a closer look, you'd have realized that the review was
independent. Of the three book reviews of Rarity from the Hollow, the
third seemed the weakest. It was positive, but not as strong as the
earlier ones. I liked the one from The Missouri Review the best.

The publisher is not vanity. This seems to be a recurring
misunderstanding as I've clarified that Fat Cat Press is new, but
operates under traditional house policy. I've never spent a penny
getting published, or for advertising.

Robert Eggleton

robert eggleton

Dec 29, 2006, 4:55:39 PM12/29/06

Thanks for the input. Fortunately for first-time authors, most people
have not been as critical as the above replies.

I do want to correct a misperception. Fat Cat Press is not a vanity
publisher. It's a new ebook publisher with an acquisitions editor who
has a long history in traditional publishing, and who is now also the
Aquisitions Editor of the University of Michigan's Ancient History
Library. After a year long editing process, I've never spent a penny
to have Rarity from the Hollow published, or on its advertising.

If you have constructive suggestions for self-promotion, any advice is
welcomed. As you've been informed, author proceeds are donated to the
prevention of child abuse. So, it's a good cause, in addition to a
request to help me beat the odds ("Rage Against the Machine" -- Pink
Floyd) in a monopolized and mostly closed fiction marketplace.

To be realistic, I'm most interested in recommendations that are free
strategies, or close to it. I'm a children's mental health therapist
and barely pay my bills on a low salary despite over thirty years of
public service. Secondly, at my age and with the above stated mission,
I don't have the time to cultivate an audience by starting with short
stories (although one has been accepted and another is under review)
that pay less than $100 if published. It's too time consuming to be
realistic. If younger, I would agree that it would be "proper."

Lastly, with respect to any recommendations, I'm not particularly
concerned about "turning people off." The minority of people who have
called my announcements "spam" and decide, consequently, not to buy the
novel wouldn't have even known about it anyway, much less bought it. If
you have an idea, please let me know, and I'll risk it.

Thank you. Feel free to email me if you don't want to make a public
recommendation.

Robert Eggleton
robe...@charter.net

--
robert eggleton
robert eggleton's Profile: http://www.coolscifi.com/forums/member.php?userid=1101

Mike Schilling

Dec 29, 2006, 5:16:39 PM12/29/06

"robert eggleton" <robert.eggl...@no-mx.coolscifi.com> wrote in
message news:robert.eggl...@no-mx.coolscifi.com...

> If you have constructive suggestions for self-promotion, any advice is
> welcomed.

Avoid places you've been told repeatedly that you're unwelcome.

No 33 Secretary

Dec 29, 2006, 5:24:20 PM12/29/06
"Mike Schilling" <mscotts...@hotmail.com> wrote in

That would be pretty much the entire internet, wouldn't it?

--
"What is the first law?"
"To Protect."

Terry Austin

No 33 Secretary

Dec 29, 2006, 5:27:48 PM12/29/06
"robert eggleton" <robe...@charter.net> wrote in

> If you'd had a closer look, you'd have realized that the review
> was independent.

If you weren't a retard, you'd have realized you're a spammer and
sucked off a shotgun by now.

> The publisher is not vanity. This seems to be a recurring
> misunderstanding as I've clarified that Fat Cat Press is new,
> but operates under traditional house policy. I've never spent a
> penny getting published, or for advertising.

And you've gotten every penny's worth.

Spammer.

Mike Schilling

Dec 29, 2006, 5:40:00 PM12/29/06

"No 33 Secretary" <terry.nota...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> "Mike Schilling" <mscotts...@hotmail.com> wrote in
>

>> "robert eggleton" <robert.eggl...@no-mx.coolscifi.com>
>> wrote in message
>>> If you have constructive suggestions for self-promotion, any
>>> advice is welcomed.
>>
>> Avoid places you've been told repeatedly that you're unwelcome.
>>
> That would be pretty much the entire internet, wouldn't it?

As a start. See also
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.arts.sf.written/browse_frm/thread/c018d99839a6fae7/796e106131670bdf

No 33 Secretary

Dec 29, 2006, 6:22:46 PM12/29/06
"Mike Schilling" <mscotts...@hotmail.com> wrote in

Am I right in interpreting that to say that he's admitted to actual
email spamming? Even after being told to stop?

Marilee J. Layman

Dec 29, 2006, 8:00:38 PM12/29/06
On Fri, 29 Dec 2006 16:55:39 -0500, robert eggleton
<robert.eggl...@no-mx.coolscifi.com> wrote:

>Thanks for the input.

Why the heck are you replying to yourself?
--
Marilee J. Layman
http://mjlayman.livejournal.com/

No 33 Secretary

Dec 29, 2006, 8:02:00 PM12/29/06
Marilee J. Layman <mar...@mjlayman.com> wrote in

> On Fri, 29 Dec 2006 16:55:39 -0500, robert eggleton
> <robert.eggl...@no-mx.coolscifi.com> wrote:
>

>>Thanks for the input.
>
> Why the heck are you replying to yourself?

Because nobody else will take him seriously.

Robert Hutchinson

Dec 29, 2006, 9:51:21 PM12/29/06
Marilee J. Layman wrote:

> robert eggleton wrote:
>
>> Thanks for the input.
>
> Why the heck are you replying to yourself?

Showing appreciation for his biggest fan, I would think.

--
Robert Hutchinson

Lawrence Watt-Evans

Dec 30, 2006, 1:10:59 AM12/30/06
On Fri, 29 Dec 2006 23:22:46 -0000, No 33 Secretary
<terry.nota...@gmail.com> wrote:

>Am I right in interpreting that to say that he's admitted to actual
>email spamming? Even after being told to stop?

Yes, you are. Stupid son of a bitch that he is.

The third issue of Helix is at http://www.helixsf.com
A new Ethshar novel is being serialized at http://www.ethshar.com/thevondishambassador1.html

robert eggleton

Dec 30, 2006, 9:13:28 AM12/30/06

"Lawrence Watt-Evans wrote:"
(please note the past tense)

Apparently, a few minimally successful are so guarded that they resort
to juvenile defenses of turf, as if they owned any ground to stand on.
Hopefully, somebody here will have an actual recommendation on self
promotion by a new author as requested, and as opposed to more
irrelevancy and ridiculous insults that reflect negatively on
individual characters than my efforts to tell people about my novel and
its cause.

Lawrend Watt-Evans, grow up! You are middle aged and sound like a kid.
I realize that you must be desperate, but antics such as posted will
not help sell your work. Although not requested, I recommend:

1. improve your website -- it sucks;
2. stop cursing in public -- it makes you look like you're at a loss
for words;
3. promote your positive instead of attacking others -- another's
success is not your competition, it will expand the marketplace and
increase the odds of increasing your sales -- science fiction is down
right now and anybody's contribution helps everybody;
4. spend more time refining your work -- you've got talent that never
matured, and, yes, I've read some of your stuff -- instead of hanging
out in this place that is apparently a negative influence and a drain
on your efforts to write quality.

On behalf -- an unelected representative of first time authors of all
ages (I'm older than you) -- of humanity and its cultural evolution, I
reject each and all of the childish insults about "spam." They are
indicative of undereduation. Do some research, and beyond the opening
phrase of the law. I'm here to ask for help and advice, not to link
you to citation. However, the recurring erroneous accusations cause
you to look ignorant. Further, dig a little deeper into the issue of
free speech and cyberspace. If you actually produce something worth
buying in the future, there's a marketing opportunity beyond this
place, or traditional strategies. If you've inherited some money (I'm
on a low salary as a therapist in a children's mental health program
that is publicly fund), you can establish more opportunity on
interactive sites for yourself and other posters, based on U.S. Supreme
Court precedent, by supporting litigation on free speech.

Good luck and I'm still interested in advice from readers.

Robert Eggleton
"Rarity from the Hollow"

Sea Wasp

Dec 30, 2006, 10:59:56 AM12/30/06

(snip incredibly stupid, pompous, self-important rant at LWE)

Listen, idiot. I'm a new author myself. And, odd though it may seem,
ALL authors were once, including LWE. You don't (thank all the gods)
speak for me, nor for any other author on Earth, and I'll thank you
NOT to claim to speak for me, or any other new author.

Most of us have the basic human decency to recognize when we are NOT
WANTED somewhere. Where we are OFFENDING people.

YOU apparently have all the ego of a Harlan Ellison with neither the
talent, the fame, or probably even the height, and with considerably
less tact.

But then, you're a self-justifying, narcissistic spammer, so this
isn't much of a surprise. Your actions make it so that even if I
*KNEW* that your book was the greatest novel ever written, I would
rather watch the Star Wars Holiday Special than read a single
paragraph of your work.

Mike Schilling

Dec 30, 2006, 12:51:58 PM12/30/06

"robert eggleton" <robe...@charter.net> wrote in message

> They are
> indicative of undereduation. Do some research, and beyond the opening
> phrase of the law. I'm here to ask for help and advice, not to link
> you to citation.

And you wonder how we know your book is crap. It's because it was written
by a fucking illiterate.

> Good luck and I'm still interested in advice from readers.

1. Buy a bullhorn.
2, Go to the nearest public library.
3. Yell "BUY MY BOOK!" into the bullhorn, over and over.
4. When the police come to drag you away, explain to them about free speech.

Lawrence Watt-Evans

Dec 30, 2006, 1:33:29 PM12/30/06
On Sat, 30 Dec 2006 17:51:58 GMT, "Mike Schilling"
<mscotts...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>"robert eggleton" <robe...@charter.net> wrote in message
>
>> They are
>> indicative of undereduation. Do some research, and beyond the opening
>> phrase of the law. I'm here to ask for help and advice, not to link
>> you to citation.
>
>And you wonder how we know your book is crap. It's because it was written
>by a fucking illiterate.

What gets me is that he's been pushing the same damn book for
something like four years now, and going by the subject line he's only
managed to get three reviews.

Jeez, write another book, already!

By the way, I have him killfiled, so all I see from him is the bits
other people quote, but is he saying there that he's not a spammer
because he doesn't fit a _legal_ definition?

Hey, no one's ever accused him of doing anything illegal, so far as I
know, only of being unspeakably rude.

Mike Schilling

Dec 30, 2006, 1:40:49 PM12/30/06
"Lawrence Watt-Evans" <l...@sff.net> wrote in message

> By the way, I have him killfiled, so all I see from him is the bits
> other people quote, but is he saying there that he's not a spammer
> because he doesn't fit a _legal_ definition?

He'd have to be considerably more coherent for me to venture a guess on
that.

Terry Austin

Dec 30, 2006, 3:49:45 PM12/30/06

> On Fri, 29 Dec 2006 23:22:46 -0000, No 33 Secretary
> <terry.nota...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Am I right in interpreting that to say that he's admitted to actual
>>email spamming? Even after being told to stop?
>
> Yes, you are. Stupid son of a bitch that he is.

Rule #2: spammers are stupid.

--
Terry Austin

Terry Austin

Dec 30, 2006, 3:51:50 PM12/30/06
"robert eggleton" <robe...@charter.net> wrote in

> "Lawrence Watt-Evans wrote:"
> (please note the past tense)
>
> Apparently, a few minimally successful are so guarded that they resort
> to juvenile defenses of turf, as if they owned any ground to stand on.
> Hopefully, somebody here will have an actual recommendation on self
> promotion by a new author as requested, and as opposed to more
> irrelevancy and ridiculous insults that reflect negatively on
> individual characters than my efforts to tell people about my novel and
> its cause.
>
> Lawrend Watt-Evans, grow up! You are middle aged and sound like a kid.
> I realize that you must be desperate, but antics such as posted will
> not help sell your work. Although not requested, I recommend:
>
> 1. improve your website -- it sucks;

Attackign someone's website because you got pasted in a flameware is a
public admission that you know you got pasted. Plus, it makes you look
like an eight year old.

> 2. stop cursing in public -- it makes you look like you're at a loss
> for words;

He uses words for a living. Unlike you.

> 3. promote your positive instead of attacking others -- another's
> success is not your competition,

What success would that be? You haven't sold a single copy of your spam.
You'll lie about it, of course; spammers do that.

>it will expand the marketplace and
> increase the odds of increasing your sales -- science fiction is down
> right now and anybody's contribution helps everybody;
> 4. spend more time refining your work -- you've got talent that never
> matured, and, yes, I've read some of your stuff -- instead of hanging
> out in this place that is apparently a negative influence and a drain
> on your efforts to write quality.

Says the spammer who couldn't sell his 16 year old sister in a strip
club.

> Good luck and I'm still interested in advice from readers.

Free advice: stop spamming.

--
Terry Austin

Terry Austin

Dec 30, 2006, 3:53:30 PM12/30/06
Sea Wasp <seawasp...@sgeobviousinc.com> wrote in

> (snip incredibly stupid, pompous, self-important rant at LWE)
>
> Listen, idiot. I'm a new author myself. And, odd though it may
> seem,
> ALL authors were once, including LWE. You don't (thank all the gods)
> speak for me, nor for any other author on Earth, and I'll thank you
> NOT to claim to speak for me, or any other new author.
>
> Most of us have the basic human decency to recognize when we are
> NOT

> WANTED somewhere. Where we are OFFENDING people.]

Plus, you're actually *good* at writing. Since you didn't spam for them,
I've *read* your books.

> YOU apparently have all the ego of a Harlan Ellison with neither
> the
> talent, the fame, or probably even the height, and with considerably
> less tact.

Plus, his dick's probably smaller, too.

> But then, you're a self-justifying, narcissistic spammer, so this
> isn't much of a surprise. Your actions make it so that even if I
> *KNEW* that your book was the greatest novel ever written, I would
> rather watch the Star Wars Holiday Special than read a single
> paragraph of your work.

Harsh. But very true. I'd rather dig my eyeballs out with a titianium spork
than let them behold this retard's shit novel. And I own a titanium spork,
just in case.

--
Terry Austin

Terry Austin

Dec 30, 2006, 3:54:22 PM12/30/06
"Mike Schilling" <mscotts...@hotmail.com> wrote in

I'd rather he took a more direct approach. Use the bullhorn to yell "BUY MY
BOOK OR I'LL LIGHT MYSELF ON FIRE!" And mean it. And then light himself on
fire.

--
Terry Austin

Terry Austin

Dec 30, 2006, 3:55:04 PM12/30/06
Lawrence Watt-Evans <l...@sff.net> wrote in

> On Sat, 30 Dec 2006 17:51:58 GMT, "Mike Schilling"
> <mscotts...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>"robert eggleton" <robe...@charter.net> wrote in message
>>
>>> They are
>>> indicative of undereduation. Do some research, and beyond the
>>> opening phrase of the law. I'm here to ask for help and advice, not
>>> to link you to citation.
>>
>>And you wonder how we know your book is crap. It's because it was
>>written by a fucking illiterate.
>
> What gets me is that he's been pushing the same damn book for
> something like four years now, and going by the subject line he's only
> managed to get three reviews.
>
> Jeez, write another book, already!

He's far too busy writing his spam.

> By the way, I have him killfiled, so all I see from him is the bits
> other people quote, but is he saying there that he's not a spammer
> because he doesn't fit a _legal_ definition?

Rule #1: spammers lie.

> Hey, no one's ever accused him of doing anything illegal, so far as I
> know, only of being unspeakably rude.

And stoopid. Don't forget stoopid.

--
Terry Austin

Matt Hughes

Dec 30, 2006, 3:56:07 PM12/30/06

Lawrence Watt-Evans wrote:

> Hey, no one's ever accused him of doing anything illegal, so far as I
> know, only of being unspeakably rude.

I've watched this Lacy Dawn business over the years. I was one of the
SFWA members asked for a blurb, but I never got around to reading his
book because I was swamped with work.

Mr. Eggleton seems impervious to any inkling of how his behavior is
received, to such a degree that I believe that what we're seeing is a
case of obsession. The trick is not to let it become contagious.

Matt Hughes
http://www.archonate.com/majestrum

J.J. O'Shea

Dec 30, 2006, 3:58:08 PM12/30/06
On Sat, 30 Dec 2006 10:59:56 -0500, Sea Wasp wrote
(in article <45968CFC...@sgeobviousinc.com>):

> I would
> rather watch the Star Wars Holiday Special

I've never actually seen that. Is it really that bad? <boggles> I mean,
compared to _this_ guy's stuff, is it really that bad? </boggles>

Daniel Silevitch

Dec 30, 2006, 4:09:11 PM12/30/06
On Sat, 30 Dec 2006 15:58:08 -0500, J.J O'Shea <try.n...@but.see.sig> wrote:
> On Sat, 30 Dec 2006 10:59:56 -0500, Sea Wasp wrote
> (in article <45968CFC...@sgeobviousinc.com>):
>
>> I would
>> rather watch the Star Wars Holiday Special
>
> I've never actually seen that. Is it really that bad? <boggles> I mean,
> compared to _this_ guy's stuff, is it really that bad? </boggles>

You did, after all, ask for this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zCNd0snxyo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxgcjrs_jIA

-dms

Lawrence Watt-Evans

Dec 30, 2006, 4:32:38 PM12/30/06
On Sat, 30 Dec 2006 20:51:50 -0000, Terry Austin
<terry.nota...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> Lawrend Watt-Evans, grow up! You are middle aged and sound like a kid.
>> I realize that you must be desperate, but antics such as posted will
>> not help sell your work. Although not requested, I recommend:
>>
>> 1. improve your website -- it sucks;
>
>Attackign someone's website because you got pasted in a flameware is a
>public admission that you know you got pasted. Plus, it makes you look
>like an eight year old.

The notion that I could possibly care what he thinks of my website is
pretty bizarre.

Of course, if I did, saying "It sucks" doesn't exactly constitute
constructive criticism. In what way does it suck?

>> 2. stop cursing in public -- it makes you look like you're at a loss
>> for words;
>
>He uses words for a living. Unlike you.

Hey, I like the juxtaposition of "stop cursing in public" immediately
after saying, "it sucks."

>>it will expand the marketplace and
>> increase the odds of increasing your sales -- science fiction is down
>> right now and anybody's contribution helps everybody;

I don't write science fiction anymore. I write fantasy.

>> 4. spend more time refining your work -- you've got talent that never
>> matured, and, yes, I've read some of your stuff -- instead of hanging
>> out in this place that is apparently a negative influence and a drain
>> on your efforts to write quality.

He's read my work? Eeewwww!

Frankly, I tend to put more faith in the opinions of the fine folks
who voted me a Hugo award than in anything a spamming idiot might have
to say.

Sea Wasp

Dec 30, 2006, 4:48:43 PM12/30/06
J.J. O'Shea wrote:
> On Sat, 30 Dec 2006 10:59:56 -0500, Sea Wasp wrote
> (in article <45968CFC...@sgeobviousinc.com>):
>

>>I would
>>rather watch the Star Wars Holiday Special
>

> I've never actually seen that. Is it really that bad? <boggles> I mean,
> compared to _this_ guy's stuff, is it really that bad? </boggles>

The Star Wars Holiday Special makes Highlander 2 look like Citizen
Kane. It makes the Phantom Menace look like Casablanca.

It is to movie and TV entertainment what cancer is to normal
lifeforms: a pernicious destructive out-of-control monstrosity created
from something normally innocuous.

A few quotes on this:

"[The Star Wars Holiday Special] nearly caused me to spork my eyes
out and open my jugular with a dull grapefruit spoon."

"f the Ewoks/Droids cartoons couldn’t kill Star Wars for you... If
the Ewok made-for-t.v. movies couldn’t do it- hell, if the Ewoks
themselves couldn’t kill it for you… If you could look at Jar Jar and
say “Hey, he’s just trying to create a character for the kids, and
besides, the lightsaber fights were cool!”… Then this will break you
down into a whimpering child faster than you can say Bantha Poo-doo.
This is the great secret of Star Wars, the 3-eyed cousin who lives in
the barn attic, humping sheep and eating spiders. This is the thing
that doesn’t get mentioned at American Film Institute dinners. This is
the thing even Peter Mayhew can’t be paid to talk about at conventions. "

"...And just when you think this video couldn't hurt you any more
unless it popped out of the VCR at high speed and hit you straight in
the face, Carrie Fisher begins to sing. "

No, I won't tell you where to find these quotes, because that might
lead you to finding a copy of the Special, and that would make me
responsible for your death or insanity.

J.J. O'Shea

Dec 30, 2006, 5:59:46 PM12/30/06
On Sat, 30 Dec 2006 16:09:11 -0500, Daniel Silevitch wrote
(in article <slrnepdlb7....@bardeen.local>):

It _is_ better than this guy's stuff. Not much, but some. Mark Hamill shows,
yet again, that he can give Bill Shatner a run for his money. Why, he may
actually be able to imitate a stick of wood as well as Martin "Commander
Koenig" Landau, he of the totally immobile face.

So how much will George Lucas pay for people to never, ever mention that...
thing... again?

J.J. O'Shea

Dec 30, 2006, 6:08:50 PM12/30/06
On Sat, 30 Dec 2006 16:48:43 -0500, Sea Wasp wrote
(in article <4596DEB...@sgeobviousinc.com>):

> J.J. O'Shea wrote:
>> On Sat, 30 Dec 2006 10:59:56 -0500, Sea Wasp wrote
>> (in article <45968CFC...@sgeobviousinc.com>):
>>

>>> I would
>>> rather watch the Star Wars Holiday Special
>>

>> I've never actually seen that. Is it really that bad? <boggles> I mean,
>> compared to _this_ guy's stuff, is it really that bad? </boggles>
>>

> The Star Wars Holiday Special makes Highlander 2 look like Citizen
> Kane. It makes the Phantom Menace look like Casablanca.

Nothing could make the Phantom Movie look like anything other than a pile of
shit, except Attack of the Clowns. And that only makes it look like a smaller
pile of shit.

> It is to movie and TV entertainment what cancer is to normal
> lifeforms: a pernicious destructive out-of-control monstrosity created
> from something normally innocuous.
>
> A few quotes on this:
>
> "[The Star Wars Holiday Special] nearly caused me to spork my eyes
> out and open my jugular with a dull grapefruit spoon."
>
> "f the Ewoks/Droids cartoons couldn t kill Star Wars for you... If
> the Ewok made-for-t.v. movies couldn t do it- hell, if the Ewoks
> themselves couldn t kill it for you If you could look at Jar Jar and
> say Hey, he s just trying to create a character for the kids, and
> besides, the lightsaber fights were cool! Then this will break you
> down into a whimpering child faster than you can say Bantha Poo-doo.
> This is the great secret of Star Wars, the 3-eyed cousin who lives in
> the barn attic, humping sheep and eating spiders. This is the thing
> that doesn t get mentioned at American Film Institute dinners. This is
> the thing even Peter Mayhew can t be paid to talk about at conventions. "
>
> "...And just when you think this video couldn't hurt you any more
> unless it popped out of the VCR at high speed and hit you straight in
> the face, Carrie Fisher begins to sing. "

I didn't get that far... Nope not going back. Nope. Not that curious. Nope.

> No, I won't tell you where to find these quotes, because that might
> lead you to finding a copy of the Special, and that would make me
> responsible for your death or insanity.

I had a look at the first few minutes. It was enough for me.

So Ewoks and Jar-Jar weren't Lucas's worst ideas, eh? Who'd have thunk it?

Marilee J. Layman

Dec 30, 2006, 6:18:06 PM12/30/06
On 30 Dec 2006 06:13:28 -0800, "robert eggleton"
<robe...@charter.net> wrote:

> I'm here to ask for help and advice

Wrong newsgroup. Read the FAQ.

Marilee J. Layman

Dec 30, 2006, 6:20:17 PM12/30/06
On Sat, 30 Dec 2006 01:02:00 -0000, No 33 Secretary
<terry.nota...@gmail.com> wrote:

>Marilee J. Layman <mar...@mjlayman.com> wrote in
>
>> On Fri, 29 Dec 2006 16:55:39 -0500, robert eggleton
>> <robert.eggl...@no-mx.coolscifi.com> wrote:
>>

>>>Thanks for the input.
>>
>> Why the heck are you replying to yourself?
>
>Because nobody else will take him seriously.

LOL Okay, Terry, that was good.

philos...@yahoo.com

Dec 30, 2006, 9:17:36 PM12/30/06
On 30 Dec 2006 12:56:07 -0800, "Matt Hughes" <mhu...@mars.ark.com>
wrote:

>Lawrence Watt-Evans wrote:
>
>> Hey, no one's ever accused him of doing anything illegal, so far as I
>> know, only of being unspeakably rude.
>
>I've watched this Lacy Dawn business over the years. I was one of the
>SFWA members asked for a blurb, but I never got around to reading his
>book because I was swamped with work.

I have to admit, I read the post of the third review. And I can only
say that I am boggling at the thought of someone writing about a
"planet that dominates the universe because of its invention of
shopping". Shopping??? As far as I can tell, even monkeys comprehend
the concept of trade, at least enough to tell when they have been
cheated in one.

Rebecca
--
I've moved!
Formerly r.r...@thevine.net

Mike Schilling

Dec 30, 2006, 10:28:02 PM12/30/06

"Terry Austin" <terry.nota...@gmail.com> wrote in message

>> 1. Buy a bullhorn.
>> 2, Go to the nearest public library.
>> 3. Yell "BUY MY BOOK!" into the bullhorn, over and over.
>> 4. When the police come to drag you away, explain to them about free
>> speech.
>>
> I'd rather he took a more direct approach. Use the bullhorn to yell "BUY
> MY
> BOOK OR I'LL LIGHT MYSELF ON FIRE!" And mean it. And then light himself on
> fire.

Jesus, Terry, you want him to light himself on fire in a library? There's
books there.

lclough

Dec 30, 2006, 10:40:44 PM12/30/06
philos...@yahoo.com wrote:

From this we may deduce that this -entire- universe is
populated by beings more dimwitted than monkeys. Which brings
to mind the question, is this one of those books where the
characters are smarter than the author?

Brenda

--
---------
Brenda W. Clough
http://www.sff.net/people/Brenda/

Recent short fiction:
FUTURE WASHINGTON (WSFA Press, October '05)
http://www.futurewashington.com

FIRST HEROES (TOR, May '04)
http://members.aol.com/wenamun/firstheroes.html

Terry Austin

Dec 30, 2006, 11:22:55 PM12/30/06
"Mike Schilling" <mscotts...@hotmail.com> wrote in

Er, library? Do you imagine any library on this planet would take his book
for free?

--
Terry Austin

Terry Austin

Dec 30, 2006, 11:26:47 PM12/30/06

> On Sat, 30 Dec 2006 20:51:50 -0000, Terry Austin
> <terry.nota...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>"robert eggleton" <robe...@charter.net> wrote in
>>
>>> Lawrend Watt-Evans, grow up! You are middle aged and sound like a
>>> kid.
>>> I realize that you must be desperate, but antics such as posted
>>> will
>>> not help sell your work. Although not requested, I recommend:
>>>
>>> 1. improve your website -- it sucks;
>>
>>Attackign someone's website because you got pasted in a flameware is a
>>public admission that you know you got pasted. Plus, it makes you look
>>like an eight year old.
>
> The notion that I could possibly care what he thinks of my website is
> pretty bizarre.

But then, so is spam-boy.

> Of course, if I did, saying "It sucks" doesn't exactly constitute
> constructive criticism. In what way does it suck?

I suspect he's been looking for some(one)(thing) that would suck him for
a long, long time.

>>> 2. stop cursing in public -- it makes you look like you're at a loss
>>> for words;
>>
>>He uses words for a living. Unlike you.
>
> Hey, I like the juxtaposition of "stop cursing in public" immediately
> after saying, "it sucks."

Well, "suck" is hardly a curse word.

>>>it will expand the marketplace and
>>> increase the odds of increasing your sales -- science fiction is
>>> down right now and anybody's contribution helps everybody;
>
> I don't write science fiction anymore. I write fantasy.

All too common a malady. You should see if your doctor can help. (Which
is to say, I prefer science fiction, the harder the better, so what the
hell is it with writers who switch to fantasy?)

>>> 4. spend more time refining your work -- you've got talent that
>>> never matured, and, yes, I've read some of your stuff -- instead of
>>> hanging out in this place that is apparently a negative influence
>>> and a drain on your efforts to write quality.
>
> He's read my work? Eeewwww!
>
> Frankly, I tend to put more faith in the opinions of the fine folks
> who voted me a Hugo award than in anything a spamming idiot might have
> to say.

Elitist.

--
Terry Austin

Terry Austin

Dec 30, 2006, 11:27:23 PM12/30/06

> On 30 Dec 2006 06:13:28 -0800, "robert eggleton"
> <robe...@charter.net> wrote:
>
>> I'm here to ask for help and advice
>
> Wrong newsgroup. Read the FAQ.

I don't think there is a correct newsgroup. I've never see
alt.i.suck.donkey.dick.with.a.spork, after all.

--
Terry Austin

Terry Austin

Dec 30, 2006, 11:28:07 PM12/30/06

> On Sat, 30 Dec 2006 01:02:00 -0000, No 33 Secretary
> <terry.nota...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Marilee J. Layman <mar...@mjlayman.com> wrote in

>>> Why the heck are you replying to yourself?
>>
>>Because nobody else will take him seriously.
>
> LOL Okay, Terry, that was good.

And correct.

--
Terry Austin

Mike Schilling

Dec 30, 2006, 11:30:30 PM12/30/06

"Terry Austin" <terry.nota...@gmail.com> wrote in message

See above for why he's in the library.

But to answer your question, I expect they would, and the nickel they might
get for it at the next "support the library" book sale could come in handy.

Lawrence Watt-Evans

Dec 31, 2006, 1:11:46 AM12/31/06
On Sun, 31 Dec 2006 04:26:47 -0000, Terry Austin
<terry.nota...@gmail.com> wrote:

>Lawrence Watt-Evans <l...@sff.net> wrote in
>

>> I don't write science fiction anymore. I write fantasy.
>
>All too common a malady. You should see if your doctor can help. (Which
>is to say, I prefer science fiction, the harder the better, so what the
>hell is it with writers who switch to fantasy?)

It pays better. A LOT better.

Bill Snyder

Dec 31, 2006, 1:10:20 AM12/31/06
On Fri, 29 Dec 2006 22:16:39 GMT, "Mike Schilling"
<mscotts...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>"robert eggleton" <robert.eggl...@no-mx.coolscifi.com> wrote in
>message news:robert.eggl...@no-mx.coolscifi.com...
>> If you have constructive suggestions for self-promotion, any advice is
>> welcomed.
>
>Avoid places you've been told repeatedly that you're unwelcome.

The zone around Sol in which liquid water can exist?

--
Bill Snyder [This space unintentionally left blank.]

Mike Schilling

Dec 31, 2006, 1:51:28 AM12/31/06

> On Sun, 31 Dec 2006 04:26:47 -0000, Terry Austin
> <terry.nota...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Lawrence Watt-Evans <l...@sff.net> wrote in
>>
>>> I don't write science fiction anymore. I write fantasy.
>>
>>All too common a malady. You should see if your doctor can help. (Which
>>is to say, I prefer science fiction, the harder the better, so what the
>>hell is it with writers who switch to fantasy?)
>
> It pays better. A LOT better.

When you mentioned Hugo voters, it did occur to me that peope encouraging
you to write science fiction stories rather than fantasy novels might not
have your best interests at heart.

William December Starr

Dec 31, 2006, 3:06:11 PM12/31/06
In article <1167488008.1...@n51g2000cwc.googlegroups.com>,
"robert eggleton" <robe...@charter.net> said:

> "Lawrence Watt-Evans wrote:"
> (please note the past tense)
>
> Apparently, a few minimally successful are so guarded that they
> resort to juvenile defenses of turf, as if they owned any ground
> to stand on. Hopefully, somebody here will have an actual
> recommendation on self promotion by a new author as requested, and
> as opposed to more irrelevancy and ridiculous insults that reflect
> negatively on individual characters than my efforts to tell people
> about my novel and its cause.
>

> Lawrend Watt-Evans, grow up! You are middle aged and sound like a
> kid. I realize that you must be desperate, but antics such as
> posted will not help sell your work.

Damn. Your assholery really does know no bounds, doesn't it?

Go away.

--
William December Starr <wds...@panix.com>

William December Starr

Dec 31, 2006, 3:07:32 PM12/31/06
In article <0001HW.C1BC3D10...@news1.news.adelphia.net>,
no....@just.go.net said:

> On Sat, 30 Dec 2006 10:59:56 -0500, Sea Wasp wrote
> (in article <45968CFC...@sgeobviousinc.com>):
>
>> I would rather watch the Star Wars Holiday Special
>
> I've never actually seen that. Is it really that bad? <boggles>
> I mean, compared to _this_ guy's stuff, is it really that bad?
> </boggles>

It's. Really. That. Bad.

Mike Schilling

Dec 31, 2006, 3:36:49 PM12/31/06

"William December Starr" <wds...@panix.com> wrote in message

How bad is it compared to Jar Jar, or the midichlorians/virgin birth
inanity, or The Phantom Menace in toto?

William December Starr

Dec 31, 2006, 3:47:00 PM12/31/06
In article <zbVlh.4227$x67....@newssvr17.news.prodigy.net>,
"Mike Schilling" <mscotts...@hotmail.com> said:

>>> I've never actually seen that. Is it really that bad? <boggles>
>>> I mean, compared to _this_ guy's stuff, is it really that bad?
>>> </boggles>
>>
>> It's. Really. That. Bad.
>
> How bad is it compared to Jar Jar, or the midichlorians/virgin
> birth inanity, or The Phantom Menace in toto?

It's. Really. That. Bad.

This quote is accurate:

"This review maybe makes it sound like it's so bad it's good,
and in some ways I guess it is, but in most other ways it's
sort of like putting live hornets in your ass."

-- the <www.teleport-city.com> review of
"The Star Wars Holiday Special" (1977)

Bill Snyder

Dec 31, 2006, 4:47:40 PM12/31/06
On 31 Dec 2006 15:06:11 -0500, wds...@panix.com (William December
Starr) wrote:

I'm more taken with the muddle-headedness and illiteracy of it than
the assholery. Those two paragraphs alone show clearly why he had to
go to a vanity press to find anyone willing to shovel his muck out
into public view..

Terry Austin

Dec 31, 2006, 6:08:58 PM12/31/06

> "Terry Austin" <terry.nota...@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> "Mike Schilling" <mscotts...@hotmail.com> wrote in
>>

>>> "Terry Austin" <terry.nota...@gmail.com> wrote in message

>>> Jesus, Terry, you want him to light himself on fire in a library?
>>> There's books there.
>>>
>> Er, library? Do you imagine any library on this planet would take his
>> book for free?
>
> See above for why he's in the library.

Ah. Yes. The guy's such a dork, I guess I'm blanking out all memory of
stuff people say *about* him.

> But to answer your question, I expect they would, and the nickel they
> might get for it at the next "support the library" book sale could
> come in handy.

Until whoever bought demanded their money back, plus damages, for
inflicting such crap on them without warning.

--
Terry Austin

Terry Austin

Dec 31, 2006, 6:09:26 PM12/31/06
Lawrence Watt-Evans <l...@sff.net> wrote in

> On Sun, 31 Dec 2006 04:26:47 -0000, Terry Austin
> <terry.nota...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Lawrence Watt-Evans <l...@sff.net> wrote in
>>
>>> I don't write science fiction anymore. I write fantasy.
>>
>>All too common a malady. You should see if your doctor can help. (Which
>>is to say, I prefer science fiction, the harder the better, so what the
>>hell is it with writers who switch to fantasy?)
>
> It pays better. A LOT better.

That really sucks. Once again, I am screwed by the profound stupidity of
humanity.

Good for you, though.

--
Terry Austin

Terry Austin

Dec 31, 2006, 6:10:36 PM12/31/06
Bill Snyder <bsn...@airmail.net> wrote in

And why spamming for it might actually increase sales. To some number above
zero. He is in good company, along with child pornographers and fake viagra
spamemrs.

--
Terry Austin

Joe Bednorz

Dec 31, 2006, 6:12:30 PM12/31/06
On 31 Dec 2006 15:47:00 -0500, wds...@panix.com (William December
Starr) wrote:

<http://www.teleport-city.com/movies/reviews/r-s/star_wars_holiday_special.html>

<http://www.starwarsholidayspecial.com/>

There's an account out there somewhere of playing the Star Wars
Holiday Special for someone fired up about seeing something so bad.
The viewer ended up crying. I can believe it.

Watching the Star Wars Holiday Special will suck out your will to
live. Like HAL-9000 in 2001, you can feel your mind going.

Order it today!
<http://www.antimattermultiverse.com/products/star-wars-holiday-special-1978-dvd>

--
Index to free SF: <http://www.mindspring.com/~jbednorz/Free/>.  The
Thunder Child's SF links to Project Gutenberg, Baen Free Library and

Default User

Dec 31, 2006, 7:05:56 PM12/31/06
William December Starr wrote:

> In article <1167488008.1...@n51g2000cwc.googlegroups.com>,
> "robert eggleton" <robe...@charter.net> said:

> > Lawrend Watt-Evans, grow up! You are middle aged and sound like a
> > kid.

I'm trying to figure out why that would a be an insult.

Brian

won't shut up.

Terry Austin

Jan 1, 2007, 3:52:01 AM1/1/07
"Default User" <defaul...@yahoo.com> wrote in news:4vr1j4F1c68i9U1
@mid.individual.net:

> William December Starr wrote:
>
>> In article <1167488008.1...@n51g2000cwc.googlegroups.com>,
>> "robert eggleton" <robe...@charter.net> said:
>
>> > Lawrend Watt-Evans, grow up! You are middle aged and sound like a
>> > kid.
>

> I'm trying to figure out why that would a be an insult.

S'Okay. So is Robbie.

--
Terry Austin

Jim Lovejoy

Jan 2, 2007, 12:31:21 AM1/2/07
lclough <clo...@erols.com> wrote in news:0jGlh.964$kB3.829@trnddc08:

> philos...@yahoo.com wrote:
>
>> On 30 Dec 2006 12:56:07 -0800, "Matt Hughes" <mhu...@mars.ark.com>
>> wrote:

>>>I've watched this Lacy Dawn business over the years. I was one of the
>>>SFWA members asked for a blurb, but I never got around to reading his
>>>book because I was swamped with work.
>>>

>> I have to admit, I read the post of the third review. And I can only
>> say that I am boggling at the thought of someone writing about a
>> "planet that dominates the universe because of its invention of
>> shopping". Shopping??? As far as I can tell, even monkeys comprehend
>> the concept of trade, at least enough to tell when they have been
>> cheated in one.
>>
>> Rebecca
>

> From this we may deduce that this -entire- universe is
> populated by beings more dimwitted than monkeys. Which brings
> to mind the question, is this one of those books where the
> characters are smarter than the author?
>
> Brenda

It would have to be.

Michael Alan Chary

Jan 2, 2007, 11:29:53 AM1/2/07
In article <d7mdp2p0tgckgkoju...@news.rcn.com>,
Lawrence Watt-Evans <l...@sff.net> wrote:

>On Sat, 30 Dec 2006 20:51:50 -0000, Terry Austin
><terry.nota...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>"robert eggleton" <robe...@charter.net> wrote in
>>
>>> Lawrend Watt-Evans, grow up! You are middle aged and sound like a kid.
>>> I realize that you must be desperate, but antics such as posted will
>>> not help sell your work. Although not requested, I recommend:
>>>
>>> 1. improve your website -- it sucks;
>>
>>Attackign someone's website because you got pasted in a flameware is a
>>public admission that you know you got pasted. Plus, it makes you look
>>like an eight year old.
>
>The notion that I could possibly care what he thinks of my website is
>pretty bizarre.
>
>Of course, if I did, saying "It sucks" doesn't exactly constitute
>constructive criticism. In what way does it suck?

If it actually did -- literally -- suck, you'd be making a lot more
money...

--
The All-New, All-Different Howling Curmudgeons!
http://www.whiterose.org/howlingcurmudgeons

No 33 Secretary

Jan 2, 2007, 12:44:26 PM1/2/07
mch...@panix.com (Michael Alan Chary) wrote in

I suspect not, after the legal fees were taken in to account.

--
"What is the first law?"
"To Protect."

Terry Austin

Michael Stemper

Jan 2, 2007, 1:37:11 PM1/2/07
In article <1166963480.8...@i12g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>, robert eggleton writes:

>Hi Robert,
>
>Thanks for sending me SPAMMER FROM THE SPAMCAN for review. I enjoyed it,
>found it disturbing,

>Rob Preece
>Publisher, www.BooksForABuck.com

Y'know, if you're going to pretend to be somebody else [1], it's often
considered a good idea to create a disposable user account from which
to post. That way, people less intelligent than a kohlrabi might not
realize that you're the one who wrote the unsolicited testimonial to
yourself.

Has anybody called you a "spamming fucktard" yet this year? If not,
I'd be happy to do so.

[1] Technically known as a "sock puppet".

--
Michael F. Stemper
#include <Standard_Disclaimer>

Kat R

Jan 2, 2007, 4:14:41 PM1/2/07

Why do I suddenly have a vision of the book extruding a vacuum hose-like
pseudopod and nosing about for the wallets of unsuspecting passersby in
the bookstore?

--
Kat Richardson
Greywalker (Roc, 2006)

Matt Hughes

Jan 2, 2007, 10:23:52 PM1/2/07

Kat R wrote:

> Why do I suddenly have a vision of the book extruding a vacuum hose-like
> pseudopod and nosing about for the wallets of unsuspecting passersby in
> the bookstore?

Maybe it's just my twisted mind, but I don't think that either a wallet
or its contents was what he was thinking of as a preferred target of an
actual ability to suck.

Matt Hughes
http://www.archonate.com/majestrum

Kat R

Jan 3, 2007, 12:00:46 AM1/3/07

I'm not touching that one with a 10-foot pseudopod.

robert eggleton

Jan 3, 2007, 5:01:30 PM1/3/07
I'm sure this message will be regarded as spam. Nevertheless, I'd
appreciate an honest reply, even if its cornerstone is another insult.
Rarity from the Hollow won an award yesterday. I didn't know that it
was being considered and don't know if such holds significance.
Following is the link. Is this a big deal or not?

Thanks, and BTW, the novel was published in late July, 2006. So, I
have not been promoting it for four years, although sometimes it feels
like four decades.

Robert Eggleton

http://myshelf.com/backtoliterature/column.htm

Lawrence Watt-Evans

Jan 3, 2007, 5:24:56 PM1/3/07
On 3 Jan 2007 14:01:30 -0800, "robert eggleton" <robe...@charter.net>
wrote:

>Thanks, and BTW, the novel was published in late July, 2006. So, I

>have not been promoting it for four years, although sometimes it feels
>like four decades.

Quote from an e-mail I received July 15, 2004:

"...there is a Bob Eggleton attempting to sell his book and wants
advice from SFWA members that, somehow he's been emailing by proxy."

That was you, spamming people by e-mail two and a half years ago,
promoting your not-yet-published novel.

I don't have saved e-mail from before July 2003, but I'm fairly sure
there was an earlier round as well.

Mike Schilling

Jan 3, 2007, 5:27:16 PM1/3/07

> I'm sure this message will be regarded as spam.

But, being as asshole, you're sending it anyway.

> Rarity from the Hollow won an award yesterday.

You're not that dumb, are you? A columnist put it on her recommended list.
That's not an award.

No 33 Secretary

Jan 3, 2007, 5:46:16 PM1/3/07

> On 3 Jan 2007 14:01:30 -0800, "robert eggleton"
> <robe...@charter.net> wrote:
>
>>Thanks, and BTW, the novel was published in late July, 2006.
>>So, I have not been promoting it for four years, although
>>sometimes it feels like four decades.
>
> Quote from an e-mail I received July 15, 2004:
>
> "...there is a Bob Eggleton attempting to sell his book and
> wants advice from SFWA members that, somehow he's been emailing
> by proxy."
>
> That was you, spamming people by e-mail two and a half years
> ago, promoting your not-yet-published novel.
>
> I don't have saved e-mail from before July 2003, but I'm fairly
> sure there was an earlier round as well.

I believe his claim is that he was spamming for a different book
then.

No 33 Secretary

Jan 3, 2007, 5:46:51 PM1/3/07

> "robert eggleton" <robe...@charter.net> wrote in message
>> I'm sure this message will be regarded as spam.
>
> But, being as asshole, you're sending it anyway.

^^^^^^^

ITYM "spammer." HTH. HAND.

>> Rarity from the Hollow won an award yesterday.
>
> You're not that dumb, are you? A columnist put it on her
> recommended list. That's not an award.

It's as close as he's ever going to get. I wonder how much he paid
her for it.

Mike Schilling

Jan 3, 2007, 5:51:46 PM1/3/07

"No 33 Secretary" <terry.nota...@gmail.com> wrote in message

No, he's written [1] only the one. The "trick" is that he was spamming it
before it was published.

1. If that's the right word.

Mike Schilling

Jan 3, 2007, 5:52:26 PM1/3/07

> "Mike Schilling" <mscotts...@hotmail.com> wrote in
>

>> "robert eggleton" <robe...@charter.net> wrote in message
>>> I'm sure this message will be regarded as spam.
>>
>> But, being as asshole, you're sending it anyway.
> ^^^^^^^
>
> ITYM "spammer."

You are making some distinction that escapes me.

Michael Alan Chary

Jan 3, 2007, 5:55:07 PM1/3/07
In article <0uaop2l3bndqgrop0...@news.rcn.com>,

Lawrence Watt-Evans <l...@sff.net> wrote:
>On 3 Jan 2007 14:01:30 -0800, "robert eggleton" <robe...@charter.net>
>wrote:
>
>>Thanks, and BTW, the novel was published in late July, 2006. So, I
>>have not been promoting it for four years, although sometimes it feels
>>like four decades.
>
>Quote from an e-mail I received July 15, 2004:
>
>"...there is a Bob Eggleton attempting to sell his book and wants
>advice from SFWA members that, somehow he's been emailing by proxy."
>
>That was you, spamming people by e-mail two and a half years ago,
>promoting your not-yet-published novel.
>
>I don't have saved e-mail from before July 2003, but I'm fairly sure
>there was an earlier round as well.

Okay, way back in the before time I was a book reviewer for a major
metropolitan newspaper. How bad is his book that he can't get it
published?

Lawrence Watt-Evans

Jan 3, 2007, 6:01:49 PM1/3/07

Nope, same one.

Lawrence Watt-Evans

Jan 3, 2007, 6:08:10 PM1/3/07

Oh, he got it published; it just took him a few years.

No 33 Secretary

Jan 3, 2007, 6:10:37 PM1/3/07
"Mike Schilling" <mscotts...@hotmail.com> wrote in

Perhaps he's admitting to being a spammer-for-hire. Didn't think he
could degenerate to an even lower life form, did you?

> 1. If that's the right word.

"Caused," perhaps. In much the same way that mercury poisoning
causes madness.

No 33 Secretary

Jan 3, 2007, 6:11:21 PM1/3/07
"Mike Schilling" <mscotts...@hotmail.com> wrote in

There are many forms of asshole that do not spam. Which is not to
say that your statement is incorrect. I was merely being more
precise. We wouldn't want anyone to go easy on the little turd,
thinking he's some lesser form.

No 33 Secretary

Jan 3, 2007, 6:12:03 PM1/3/07

> On Wed, 03 Jan 2007 22:46:16 -0000, No 33 Secretary
> <terry.nota...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Lawrence Watt-Evans <l...@sff.net> wrote in

>>> Quote from an e-mail I received July 15, 2004:
>>>
>>> "...there is a Bob Eggleton attempting to sell his book and
>>> wants advice from SFWA members that, somehow he's been emailing
>>> by proxy."
>>>
>>> That was you, spamming people by e-mail two and a half years
>>> ago, promoting your not-yet-published novel.
>>>
>>> I don't have saved e-mail from before July 2003, but I'm fairly
>>> sure there was an earlier round as well.
>>>
>>I believe his claim is that he was spamming for a different book
>>then.
>
> Nope, same one.

So he can't figure out what he's jibbering about either, then?

Mike Schilling

Jan 3, 2007, 7:39:40 PM1/3/07

"No 33 Secretary" <terry.nota...@gmail.com> wrote in message

He was trying to be oh-so-clever by distinguishing "spamming to find a
publisher" from "spamming to sell published copies".

lclough

Jan 3, 2007, 8:03:31 PM1/3/07
No 33 Secretary wrote:

> "Mike Schilling" <mscotts...@hotmail.com> wrote in
>

>>"robert eggleton" <robe...@charter.net> wrote in message
>>
>>>I'm sure this message will be regarded as spam.
>>
>>But, being as asshole, you're sending it anyway.
>
> ^^^^^^^
>
> ITYM "spammer." HTH. HAND.
>
>>>Rarity from the Hollow won an award yesterday.
>>
>>You're not that dumb, are you? A columnist put it on her
>>recommended list. That's not an award.
>>

> It's as close as he's ever going to get. I wonder how much he paid
> her for it.

I bet it did not involve money, but service.

Brenda

--
---------
Brenda W. Clough
http://www.sff.net/people/Brenda/

Recent short fiction:
FUTURE WASHINGTON (WSFA Press, October '05)
http://www.futurewashington.com

FIRST HEROES (TOR, May '04)
http://members.aol.com/wenamun/firstheroes.html

Sea Wasp

Jan 3, 2007, 11:25:47 PM1/3/07
robert eggleton wrote:
> I'm sure this message will be regarded as spam.

Because it *is* spam.

Nevertheless, I'd
> appreciate an honest reply,

Honestly, it's spam. It's unwanted, malicious, smells-to-high-heaven,
disgusting, ooze-covered spam.

> Rarity from the Hollow won an award yesterday.

No, it didn't, you spamming moron. Do you even know what an "award"
is? No, obviously, you don't. Any more than you know what spam is.

> Thanks, and BTW, the novel was published in late July, 2006. So, I
> have not been promoting it for four years

Four years, POSSIBLY not. But LWE just posted proof you've been doing
it for at least two and a half, and it took me only a minute to find
proof you'd been doing it for at least, oh, a year and a half -- you
spammed some of your crap to Aphelion on 8/14/05.

So given that, I wouldn't be surprised to find that in fact you have
been spamming it for four years. As Terry likes to remind us, spammers
lie.

--
Sea Wasp
/^\

Bill Snyder

Jan 4, 2007, 1:36:00 AM1/4/07
On Wed, 3 Jan 2007 22:55:07 +0000 (UTC), mch...@panix.com (Michael
Alan Chary) wrote:

Sounds like you weren't doing it quite right. I believe the canonical
form would be along the lines of a *mild-mannered* reviewer for a
*great* metropolitan newspaper. Then you'd have been qualified to
address the question of whether Eggleton qualifies as a true
supervillain, or if he's merely a BizarroSpammer.

--
Bill Snyder [This space unintentionally left blank.]

Aaron Denney

Jan 4, 2007, 2:30:26 AM1/4/07
On 2006-12-30, Lawrence Watt-Evans <l...@sff.net> wrote:
> Hey, I like the juxtaposition of "stop cursing in public" immediately
> after saying, "it sucks."

To be fair, it isn't considered much of a profanity these days.
I certainly hadn't considered it one before being reprimanded for its
use many years ago in high school, so this isn't that new a change
either.

--
Aaron Denney
-><-

robert eggleton

Jan 4, 2007, 6:53:57 AM1/4/07
So, nobody here has a relevant comment about this event? C'mon, it was
an honest question. Please see:
http://myshelf.com/backtoliterature/column.htm
It seemed legit to me, but I don't know anyting about this annual
competition. Since a lot of people here write, it seems that someone
would know something about this.

I agree that I did start telling people about my project to raise money
for the prevention of child abuse before the novel was actually
published. Frankly, I had no idea that the editing would be so
involved or take so long -- over a year with paper and email going back
and forth. After it was accepted for publication, I had assumed that
it must be close to ready and told people that it was coming soon as
also announced on the publisher's site. Man, was I wrong. However, I
didn't start full gear promotion until after it was out.

Thanks again. I ignore the insults as they have no basis other than a
philosophical difference of opinion on the current and upcoming role of
self promotion in the marketplace. I wish everyone here the best.

Robert Eggleton

Sea Wasp

Jan 4, 2007, 8:08:57 AM1/4/07
robert eggleton wrote:
> So, nobody here has a relevant comment about this event?

It's very relevant that it's NOT an award, and that you're a resolute
malicious spamming retard. And I don't use that word lightly.

C'mon, it was
> an honest question.

I'm not sure you've ever encountered "honest" in yourself, so how are
you going to recognize it in others? The healing has to start with you.

> Thanks again. I ignore the insults as they have no basis other than a
> philosophical difference of opinion

No, they represent an objective fact that you're a spamming asshole.

Michael Alan Chary

Jan 4, 2007, 10:33:43 AM1/4/07
In article <0c7pp2l25fkrqeucm...@4ax.com>,

If I claimed to be mild-mannered, several people reading it would have an
aneurysm.

Lawrence Watt-Evans

Jan 4, 2007, 11:51:10 AM1/4/07
On Thu, 4 Jan 2007 07:30:26 +0000 (UTC), Aaron Denney <wno...@ofb.net>
wrote:

The cursing in public he referred to was "stupid son of a bitch,"
which isn't exactly going to get bleeped most places, either.

Victor Velazquez

Jan 4, 2007, 11:50:14 AM1/4/07

> Thanks again. I ignore the insults as they have no basis other than a
> philosophical difference of opinion on the current and upcoming role of
> self promotion in the marketplace. I wish everyone here the best.

For some reason, I'm reminded of the cartoon with a salesman standing in
front of several rather dilapidated-looking used cars. The price tags on
the cars all read "$1,000,000." As he explains to a bewildered used
car-seeker, "...but I only need to sell one."

Although for "self-promoters" the line would go "..but I only have to not
completely alienate one person."

No 33 Secretary

Jan 4, 2007, 12:23:20 PM1/4/07
"Mike Schilling" <mscotts...@hotmail.com> wrote in

Odd thing to brag about. Even for a spammer.

No 33 Secretary

Jan 4, 2007, 12:24:19 PM1/4/07

> No 33 Secretary wrote:
>
>> "Mike Schilling" <mscotts...@hotmail.com> wrote in
>>

>>>"robert eggleton" <robe...@charter.net> wrote in message

>>>But, being as asshole, you're sending it anyway.
>>
>> ^^^^^^^
>>
>> ITYM "spammer." HTH. HAND.

>>>You're not that dumb, are you? A columnist put it on her
>>>recommended list. That's not an award.
>>>

>> It's as close as he's ever going to get. I wonder how much he
>> paid her for it.
>>

> I bet it did not involve money, but service.

Heh. Would you let _that_ close to anything you'd like to have
serviced? I wouldn't let him service a goat. (But you're right -
spammers never have money.)

Michael Alan Chary

Jan 4, 2007, 1:20:05 PM1/4/07
In article <g2cqp2pdeu9l7qarr...@news.rcn.com>,

Lawrence Watt-Evans <l...@sff.net> wrote:
>On Thu, 4 Jan 2007 07:30:26 +0000 (UTC), Aaron Denney <wno...@ofb.net>
>wrote:
>
>>On 2006-12-30, Lawrence Watt-Evans <l...@sff.net> wrote:
>>> Hey, I like the juxtaposition of "stop cursing in public" immediately
>>> after saying, "it sucks."
>>
>>To be fair, it isn't considered much of a profanity these days.
>>I certainly hadn't considered it one before being reprimanded for its
>>use many years ago in high school, so this isn't that new a change
>>either.
>
>The cursing in public he referred to was "stupid son of a bitch,"
>which isn't exactly going to get bleeped most places, either.

I called someone a son of a bitch, once, and a woman said "There's none
need for profanity." I apologized, and then said "But it's not profanity.
It might be obscenity, I suppose, since it implies intercourse with a dog,
but it's not profanity." That response didn't go over well...

No 33 Secretary

Jan 4, 2007, 1:27:17 PM1/4/07
mch...@panix.com (Michael Alan Chary) wrote in

Main Entry: 1pro·fane
Pronunciation: prO-'fAn, pr&-
Function: transitive verb
Inflected Form(s): pro·faned; pro·fan·ing
Etymology: Middle English prophanen, from Anglo-French prophaner,
from Latin profanare, from profanus
1 : to treat (something sacred) with abuse, irreverence, or
contempt : DESECRATE
2 : to debase by a wrong, unworthy, or vulgar use
- pro·fan·er noun

I think it was profane, by this definition. Obscene, as well:

Main Entry: ob·scene
Pronunciation: äb-'sEn, &b-
Function: adjective
Etymology: Middle French, from Latin obscenus, obscaenus
1 : disgusting to the senses : REPULSIVE
2 a : abhorrent to morality or virtue; specifically : designed to
incite to lust or depravity b : containing or being language
regarded as taboo in polite usage <obscene lyrics> c : repulsive by
reason of crass disregard of moral or ethical principles <an
obscene misuse of power> d : so excessive as to be offensive
<obscene wealth> <obscene waste>
synonym see COARSE
- ob·scene·ly adverb

Aaron Denney

Jan 4, 2007, 8:44:39 PM1/4/07
On 2007-01-04, Lawrence Watt-Evans <l...@sff.net> wrote:
> On Thu, 4 Jan 2007 07:30:26 +0000 (UTC), Aaron Denney <wno...@ofb.net>
> wrote:
>
>>On 2006-12-30, Lawrence Watt-Evans <l...@sff.net> wrote:
>>> Hey, I like the juxtaposition of "stop cursing in public" immediately
>>> after saying, "it sucks."
>>
>>To be fair, it isn't considered much of a profanity these days.
>>I certainly hadn't considered it one before being reprimanded for its
>>use many years ago in high school, so this isn't that new a change
>>either.
>
> The cursing in public he referred to was "stupid son of a bitch,"
> which isn't exactly going to get bleeped most places, either.

Sure, I was being more fair to him than he deserved, not to you.

Robert Hutchinson

Jan 4, 2007, 9:20:26 PM1/4/07
Mike Schilling wrote:
> robert eggleton wrote ...

>> I'm sure this message will be regarded as spam.
>
> But, being as asshole, you're sending it anyway.
>
>> Rarity from the Hollow won an award yesterday.
>
> You're not that dumb, are you? A columnist put it on her recommended list.
> That's not an award.

That's giving it too much credit. Note, near the bottom of the page, the
collection of banners that the "winners" get to put on their websites.
This is a practice that died out five years ago, and was utterly
incestuous before that.

--
Robert Hutchinson

Mike Schilling

Jan 5, 2007, 1:00:52 AM1/5/07

"robert eggleton" <robe...@charter.net> wrote in message

> So, nobody here has a relevant comment about this event?

Yes. If you think you won an award, you're an idiot.

Gene Ward Smith

Jan 5, 2007, 2:36:08 AM1/5/07

I'm awarding him the Smith Prize for best contribution to the art and
science of spam for the year 2006.

It is loading more messages.