The Dragon Reborn

Dani Zweig

Sep 19, 1992, 9:16:21 PM9/19/92
This "Wheel of Time" book, like the others, is quite a page turner.
The author is adhering to formula: By the end of the third book
three of the seven seals are broken, and presumably the seventh
seal (hmm, there's a good title in there somewhere) will break near
the very end.

It's fairly necessary in this sort of fiction for the heroes to spend most
of their time battling the flunkies of the Great Evil (eg, LotR, Covenant,
Fionavar) and for the confrontation with the Chief Baddy to be late and
short. After all, the whole point of the Quest is that the Top Villain
represents the Ultimate Evil which can befall the world: If this Baddest
Egg appears too early, and can be resisted by Mere Mortals, then the Ultimate
Evil must have been overdramatized.

The whole series is 95% formula and 5% variations on the formula. This
isn't to say you shouldn't read it -- it's *good* formula. Just be aware
that you're getting mind candy. It's worth the paperback price.

-----
Dani Zweig
da...@netcom.com

Aphorism is better than none.

Parik Rao

Sep 20, 1992, 8:02:49 AM9/20/92
In <974n=5+....@netcom.com> da...@netcom.com (Dani Zweig) writes:

>This "Wheel of Time" book, like the others, is quite a page turner.
>The author is adhering to formula: By the end of the third book
>three of the seven seals are broken, and presumably the seventh
>seal (hmm, there's a good title in there somewhere) will break near
>the very end.

>It's fairly necessary in this sort of fiction for the heroes to spend most
>of their time battling the flunkies of the Great Evil (eg, LotR, Covenant,
>Fionavar) and for the confrontation with the Chief Baddy to be late and
>short. After all, the whole point of the Quest is that the Top Villain
>represents the Ultimate Evil which can befall the world: If this Baddest
>Egg appears too early, and can be resisted by Mere Mortals, then the Ultimate
>Evil must have been overdramatized.

There are some nice twists to this book, which I really liked (vs. say,
The Belgariad/Malloreon, aka "Happy Happy Joy Joy"). First, the hero is
going nuts! Second, I get the feeling they may never really confront
the final baddie (Shaitan?). It sort of seems to me like "the shadow"
will be imprisoned throughout time. Prol'y wrong though. ;) Lastly,
the series is HUGE! Thats nice. I read a while back on r.a.sf.w that
the series may extend to 7-9 books...

Is The Dragon Reborn in paperback yet? I borrowed the hardback from a friend
but own the other two in "Huge Paperback" form (I really like that, the
text is HUGE!).

--
parik rao pr...@cs.ucsb.edu

Gary D. Duzan

Sep 20, 1992, 11:26:26 AM9/20/92
In article <uprao.716990569@mcl> pr...@bluemoon.ucsb.edu writes:

=>Is The Dragon Reborn in paperback yet? I borrowed the hardback from a friend
=>but own the other two in "Huge Paperback" form (I really like that, the
=>text is HUGE!).
=>
It is due out in October, along with the hardcover _The Shadow Rising_,
that being the fourth in the series. Jordan has a contract with Tor for six
books in the series, though I suppose it could be extended.

Gary Duzan
Time Lord
Third Regeneration
Aielman

Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared,
screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder's eye
on the last day.

-- The Aiel Warriors, "The Great Hunt", Robert Jordan

--
du...@cis.udel.edu
_o_ ------------------ _o_

Mike McConnell

Sep 20, 1992, 3:20:17 PM9/20/92
Better yet, borrow it from your local library.

K. Rogers

Sep 20, 1992, 3:35:56 PM9/20/92
du...@hercules.cis.udel.edu (Gary D. Duzan) writes:

>=>Is The Dragon Reborn in paperback yet?
>

> It is due out in October, along with the hardcover _The Shadow Rising_,
>that being the fourth in the series. Jordan has a contract with Tor for six
>books in the series, though I suppose it could be extended.

The paperback is already in our local Bookstar. No sign of the
hardback new one yet.
--
Keith Rogers
kro...@javelin.sim.es.com

Viboon Chaojirapant

Sep 22, 1992, 12:37:46 PM9/22/92
da...@netcom.com (Dani Zweig) writes:

>-----
>Dani Zweig
>da...@netcom.com

I realized that everyone has different opinions about everything.
But to say that the series is '95% formula and 5% variations' is IMHO,
overstated.

Though I cannot claim to have read too many sf novels, but I think
that Robert Jordan has done a fine job writting the Wheel Of Time series.
The followings are my observations, (since I do not intend to give the story
away, I shall not try to give "proofs") :

First of all, all the characters in the story are *believable*
they have a wide range of emotions as we do. Secondly, the world that the
author portraits is very rich in details and events seem to have a way to
intertwine with one another in interesting ways. Thirdly, I do not think
that much of the things in the books have appeared anywhere else before
(ie. the True Source, the Ajahs, the concept of heros reborn and ta'verens
etc.).

Of course, I am aware too if the things that were in some other
books before, but those are minor compared to what he has contributed.
Furthermore, if heros fighting the ultimate evil only at the very end means
95% formula, then all the great sf fantasies (LotR, Convenant, The Riftwar
saga) will fall into this category. Put it simply, if a book is 300 pages
long and the Big Bad Guy is killed at the 10th page,
then the book will simply be cut short
to 10 pages because no one wants to read the rest. Hence, I think that
the plot between the covers should be taken into considerations .

IMHO, what makes a novel good/great is whether after reading, the
readers will feel that it is worth the time and money spent in it, not
the percentage composition of the story.

There is no begining and ending as the Wheel of Time turns....

Dani Zweig

Sep 22, 1992, 2:52:07 PM9/22/92
chao...@fraser.sfu.ca (Viboon Chaojirapant):
>...Thirdly, I do not think that much of the things in the books have
>appeared anywhere else before (ie. the True Source, the Ajahs, the concept
>of heros reborn and ta'verens etc.).

Some of them are more common than others, but these are the gimmicks.
It's the story that's primarily formula.

>Put it simply, if a book is 300 pages long and the Big Bad Guy is killed at

>the 10th page, then the book will simply be cut short...

Start at the beginning. The hero is a farm boy, unaware of his destiny.
Trouble comes looking for him, and he sets out into the wide world
accompanied by a few companions... Starting to sound familiar? It goes on.

>IMHO, what makes a novel good/great is whether after reading, the

>readers will feel that it is worth the time and money spent in it...

I don't know about 'great', but this is certainly the definition of
a worth-while novel -- and "The Dragon Reborn" is certainly a worth-
while novel. As I said, it's formula, but it's good formula. You
won't come away from it with anything more to show for your time than
five or six hours pleasantly spent -- hence the phrase 'mind candy' --
but there's nothing wrong with that, and much that's right.

>There is no begining and ending as the Wheel of Time turns....

Here I'm forced to disagree with you. :-)

-----
Dani Zweig
da...@netcom.com

God helpe the man so wrapt in Errours endless traine -- Edmund Spenser

Bill Lye

Sep 22, 1992, 2:46:39 PM9/22/92
chao...@fraser.sfu.ca (Viboon Chaojirapant) writes:

> IMHO, what makes a novel good/great is whether after reading, the
>readers will feel that it is worth the time and money spent in it, not
>the percentage composition of the story.

Another indicator of how good it is is this: Two months after reading it for
the first time, ask yourself if you would read it again. If you say yes,
(as I did for this series) then it is a good book. Interestingly, the only
other series that I've said this for in the last couple years has been
David Duncan's _Man_Of_His_Word_ series....
--
Bill Lye, l...@sfu.ca
SFU claims these views....NOT!

stee...@woods.ulowell.edu

Sep 23, 1992, 9:06:46 AM9/23/92
In article <lye.71...@sfu.ca>, l...@fraser.sfu.ca (Bill Lye) writes:

> Another indicator of how good it is is this: Two months after reading it for
> the first time, ask yourself if you would read it again. If you say yes,
> (as I did for this series) then it is a good book. Interestingly, the only
> other series that I've said this for in the last couple years has been
> David Duncan's _Man_Of_His_Word_ series....

Also, in a series that is currently being published, how much of what has gone
before do you remember. The good series will stick out in your mind and you
will be able to pretty much get back into the flow of the plot with little
"What....when was this?!?!?!"
(* Disclaimer: Assuming this isn't an Amber series *) :)

-darkelf
-----
"I have no brother, am like no brother;
And this word "love", which the greybeards call divine,
Be resident in men like one another
And not in me. I am myself alone."
-Gloucester, Henry VI Pt. 3

DJ, WJUL, lowell, 91.5 FM
-----

Dana Goldblatt

Sep 25, 1992, 6:24:19 PM9/25/92

In a previous article, l...@fraser.sfu.ca (Bill Lye) says:

>chao...@fraser.sfu.ca (Viboon Chaojirapant) writes:
>
>> IMHO, what makes a novel good/great is whether after reading, the
>>readers will feel that it is worth the time and money spent in it, not
>>the percentage composition of the story.
>

>Another indicator of how good it is is this: Two months after reading it for
>the first time, ask yourself if you would read it again. If you say yes,
>(as I did for this series) then it is a good book. Interestingly, the only
>other series that I've said this for in the last couple years has been
>David Duncan's _Man_Of_His_Word_ series....

My indicator is more long term. If, on re-reading, I still think the
book is good; if after several years I still think it is good; and,
often very telling, if after reading it out loud to my fiance, I still
think it is good; then it is probably good. The probability goes up
as the number of years goes by. Probably why some previous postings
said that the great books of today are for the future to choose.

First impressions are *not* always accurate ones. Especially for books
first read when you are young.

-dana

christian gadeken

Sep 26, 1992, 4:00:41 PM9/26/92

Actually, the method I use for grading books is how often I
want to reread them *right after I buy them.* With the
Wheel of Time series the answer has always been "5 or 6."
(It does help that I read at an absolutely voracious rate.)
The only other books I reread that often are some Steven Brust
and Diane Duane.

--
C h r i s t i a n G a d e k e n

Yakumo: "But I really did destroy a monster in Hong Kong!"
Saru : "Ahem, ahem"
Yakumo: "Saru, do you believe me?"
Saru : "Where's my Hong Kong souvenir?"

Ron

Sep 26, 1992, 5:49:11 PM9/26/92
>Actually, the method I use for grading books is how often I
>want to reread them *right after I buy them.* With the
>Wheel of Time series the answer has always been "5 or 6."
>(It does help that I read at an absolutely voracious rate.)
>The only other books I reread that often are some Steven Brust
>and Diane Duane.

I like the works of the first two authors a great deal.
What has Diane Duane written? What is she best at writing?

- Ron

Guessing

Sep 26, 1992, 5:27:52 PM9/26/92
In <rw7n5b...@netcom.com> da...@netcom.com (Dani Zweig) writes:

>chao...@fraser.sfu.ca (Viboon Chaojirapant):
>>...Thirdly, I do not think that much of the things in the books have
>>appeared anywhere else before (ie. the True Source, the Ajahs, the concept
>>of heros reborn and ta'verens etc.).

>Some of them are more common than others, but these are the gimmicks.
>It's the story that's primarily formula.

>>Put it simply, if a book is 300 pages long and the Big Bad Guy is killed at
>>the 10th page, then the book will simply be cut short...

>Start at the beginning. The hero is a farm boy, unaware of his destiny.
>Trouble comes looking for him, and he sets out into the wide world
>accompanied by a few companions... Starting to sound familiar? It goes on.

>>IMHO, what makes a novel good/great is whether after reading, the
>>readers will feel that it is worth the time and money spent in it...

>I don't know about 'great', but this is certainly the definition of
>a worth-while novel -- and "The Dragon Reborn" is certainly a worth-
>while novel. As I said, it's formula, but it's good formula. You
>won't come away from it with anything more to show for your time than
>five or six hours pleasantly spent -- hence the phrase 'mind candy' --
>but there's nothing wrong with that, and much that's right.

The Dragon Reborn is like a Bad Kung-Fu, where you know all the
scenarios, your just watching it cause you need a good laugh. I'm sorry
to say this but DR was boring beyond belief. I'm simply aghast to find out
that there maybe 4 more books to read before the end. I could do without
all the "details" as some put it....there simply just too much of it. I got
tired of "Rand does better with girls..." constantly throughout the book.

The problem as I see it is that there is no overall story you can get a hold
of; things seemed be thrown randomly in for no reason at all except to get from
point A to point B. It seems that Jordan started out the formula properly but
couldn't wait to tell things. There is too much filler throughout the book and
the characters constantly whining about this or that. Usually there are reasons
for calling someone a dragon(where are the dragons?) or a lion (where are the
lions?)....too many discrepancies....and really don't want to wade thru 4 more
books to find out.

Russell A Howard

Sep 28, 1992, 1:45:17 AM9/28/92

I just picked up the fourth book in Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series
entitled "The Shadow Rising". It costs $24.95 and I picked it up at my local
Waldenbooks store. Just thought I'd let everyone know that this book is out.

"The Shadow shall rise across the world, and darken
every land, even to the smalest corner, and there shall
be neither Light nor safety. And he who shall be born of
the Dawn, born of the Maiden, according to Prophecy,
he shall stretch forth his hands to catch the Shadow, and
the world shall scream in the pain of salvation. All Glory
be to the Creator, and to the Light, and to he who shall
be born again. May the Light save us from him.

--from Commentaries on the Karaethon Cycle"
--
Russ Howard
Internet: amig...@pitt.edu

Adrian Jones

Sep 28, 1992, 5:29:38 PM9/28/92
amig...@pitt.edu (Russell A Howard) writes:

> I just picked up the fourth book in Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series
> entitled "The Shadow Rising". It costs $24.95 and I picked it up at my local
> Waldenbooks store. Just thought I'd let everyone know that this book is out.

Yeah, I just picked it up too. Does anyone know how many books are supposed
to be in the series??

ap...@mta.ca

Sep 28, 1992, 2:31:43 PM9/28/92
In article <63...@blue.cis.pitt.edu.UUCP>, amig...@pitt.edu (Russell A Howard) writes:

> I just picked up the fourth book in Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series
>entitled "The Shadow Rising". It costs $24.95 and I picked it up at my local
>Waldenbooks store. Just thought I'd let everyone know that this book is out.

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!!
A.PASH

Rob McGovern

Sep 29, 1992, 2:27:10 AM9/29/92

Just thought you all might want to know that I've seen both the
paperback of The Dragon Reborn and the hardback of The Shadow
Rising in bookstores around here (Southern California) and I know
for certian that both are out in New Mexico. My father has
already acquired The Shadow Rising, but sadly, he is going to
read it BEFORE he gives it too me as a LATE birthday present
(major negative smily face here). He has said that it is better
than The Dragon Reborn (so far) and continues an excellent
series, In His Humble Opinion (IHHO?) I personally can't wait
untill he finishes!!!

Rob McGovern rmcg...@aludra.usc.edu

ARL0...@unccvm.uncc.edu

Sep 29, 1992, 11:24:48 AM9/29/92
Didn't I hear/read that there would be 7 books total in this series?

--Jean

Zak

Sep 29, 1992, 9:25:06 PM9/29/92
In article <1a8svu...@phakt.usc.edu> rmcg...@phakt.usc.edu (Rob McGovern) writes:

>Just thought you all might want to know that I've seen both the
>paperback of The Dragon Reborn and the hardback of The Shadow
>Rising in bookstores around here (Southern California) and I know
>for certian that both are out in New Mexico.

The yokels up here in Seattle haven't been able to get hold of it yet,
damn them...I told them it's available elsewhere on the West coast, and
even is Western Pennsylvania for god's sake, and I still get this dumb
look and "it's not *due* out till November". (Sorry to whoever it was
from Pittsburgh, but I have a right to rank on the state...I'm from PA :)

>My father has
>already acquired The Shadow Rising, but sadly, he is going to
>read it BEFORE he gives it too me as a LATE birthday present
>(major negative smily face here). He has said that it is better
>than The Dragon Reborn (so far) and continues an excellent
>series, In His Humble Opinion (IHHO?) I personally can't wait
>untill he finishes!!!

Just be merciful here on the net when he does, and declare spoilers! This
discussion has to get full-blown this time....it got cut majorly short
last time.

>Rob McGovern rmcg...@aludra.usc.edu

--
Daniel John Kelly-Harrity ---------| |--------- "Sooner spit in a
Seattle University ----------------| |--------- Wolf's Eye,

"Welcome to All Things Scottish...If it's not Scottish, It's *CRAP*!"

Kenneth Moorman

Sep 29, 1992, 8:40:41 PM9/29/92
In article <168719272...@UNCCVM.UNCC.EDU> ARL0...@UNCCVM.UNCC.EDU writes:
>Didn't I hear/read that there would be 7 books total in this series?

I'd just be happy with the fourth one right now. I just checked a local
B. Daltons and a local Waldens and neither had Shadow Rising.
Both said check back late next month. BUT, others have posted they've picked
it up. Do book release dates meander cross country?

- Kenneth Moorman (kenn...@cc.gatech.edu)

ro...@austin.ibm.com

Sep 29, 1992, 12:47:12 PM9/29/92

Where did you find it? I went to the book store last night and they said publisher
wasn't releasing it until 11/15.

Anxiously Waiting.

Jeff Messing
IBM AIX Commo Device Drivers VNET: AUSVMQ(JMESSING)

Joe Morris

Sep 30, 1992, 12:24:54 PM9/30/92
kenn...@cc.gatech.edu (Kenneth Moorman) writes:

> I just checked a local
>B. Daltons and a local Waldens and neither had Shadow Rising.
>Both said check back late next month. BUT, others have posted they've picked
>it up. Do book release dates meander cross country?

The local WaldenBooks has it on the shelves as of last Monday (9/28). Other
local bookstores don't have it out; one suggested that Waldenbooks had
ignored the publisher's release date restriction. (And no, I don't know
if there was supposed to be such a restriction.)

Joe Morris / MITRE

lg...@cas.org

Sep 30, 1992, 1:46:12 PM9/30/92
Paperbacks
Mageworlds:Price of the Stars-Doyle and MacDonald - seen in the bookstore in
September
Serrated Edge-Lackey + Shepherd - seen in September
LaNague Chronicles-Wilson - seen in September

Hardcovers
Sudden Wild Magic-Diana Wynne Jones-not seen as of September 23rd
Cutting Edge-Duncan-seen in September
Yesterday, We Saw Mermaids-Friesner-seen in September
Winds of Change-Lackey-not seen as of September 23rd

Bestsellers are often seen before their stated publication date. I don't have
an explanation. However, Jordan's book would be considered a bestseller.

Books are also received at different times at different bookstores.
Using Borders as an example, their order is shipped to Ann Arbor, Michigan and
then subsequently shipped to Columbus. So, as a result, Little Professor
often has new books earlier than Borders.

The staff at bookstores seem incredibly ignorant of this disparity between
publication date and actual date available for sale.

Linda Siemsen
All statements are solely my own and not that of my employer.

Deepak CHHABRA

Sep 30, 1992, 5:07:14 PM9/30/92
In article <yshah.7...@lucpul.it.luc.edu> ys...@lucpul.it.luc.edu (Guessing) writes:

> The Dragon Reborn is like a Bad Kung-Fu, where you know all the
>scenarios, your just watching it cause you need a good laugh. I'm sorry
>to say this but DR was boring beyond belief.

I just found out about this newsgroup, so this is my first post. IMHO,
The Wheel of Time series is the best fantasy I've read since LoTR. Jordan
has done a magnificent job with virtually every literary element, and DR
was anything *but* boring.

> I'm simply aghast to find out
>that there maybe 4 more books to read before the end. I could do without
>all the "details" as some put it....there simply just too much of it. I got
>tired of "Rand does better with girls..." constantly throughout the book.

I thought this thread was hilarious.

> The problem as I see it is that there is no overall story you can get a hold
>of; things seemed be thrown randomly in for no reason at all except to get from
>point A to point B. It seems that Jordan started out the formula properly but
>couldn't wait to tell things. There is too much filler throughout the book and
>the characters constantly whining about this or that. Usually there are reasons
>for calling someone a dragon(where are the dragons?) or a lion (where are the
>lions?)....too many discrepancies....and really don't want to wade thru 4 more
>books to find out.

What precisely would you define as 'overall story'? Or do you think it's necessary
to spell out the whole plot in the first 3 chapters and spend the rest of the book
watching everything unfold according to schedule? The 'things thrown in randomly'
only contribute to an intricate plot as well as character development. As for filler,
I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. Example, please.

Regarding 'constant whining', I consider it to be the presence of internal conflict
more than anything, and it actually contributes to the plot development much more than
straightforward storytelling in the third person, let alone 'filler'. IMHO, internal
conflict isn't used nearly enough by most authors, yet it is such a powerful tool. How
can the reader guess the outcome of a story when a character hasn't resolved his or her
own doubts in the story? BTW, dragons are a symbol of chaos, and Rand is ta'varen
(big time). He's the guy that's supposed to break the world, remember? Enough reason
to call him a dragon, if you ask me. And who's been called a lion?

No, Jordan has definitely written a great story. His plots are excellent, as are his
development and storytelling. The story presents a rich history, and he's paid exceptional
attention to detail and consistency. My only problem is having to wait for the next book,
since in Canada we seem to be a little behind in new releases ...

dchh...@stpl.ists.ca

Parik Rao

Sep 30, 1992, 8:59:04 PM9/30/92
In <1992Sep29.1...@awdprime.austin.ibm.com> ro...@austin.ibm.com writes:

> Where did you find it? I went to the book store last night and they said
>publisher
>wasn't releasing it until 11/15.

I just bought mine from the campus bookstore today, paid full price :( but
I couldn't wait ($24.95), and it was the second to last copy. Its got a
GREAT cover on it, shows the group (Min, Rand, the other two boys, and one
more boy) sitting in front of a wagon (Tinkerers?) in the middle of a
desert/canyon (Aiel Wastes?).

A total of 701 pages, NO PROLOGUE (bummer, the first books prologue has to
go down as a great intro), nor is there a preview of what happens in
book #5.

Now I must repeat the chant, "I will not read this book till the weekend...
I have homework to do... I will not read this book till the weekend..."

--
parik rao pr...@cs.ucsb.edu

Stanley Friesen

Oct 1, 1992, 2:13:03 PM10/1/92
In article <1992Sep30.1...@cas.org> lg...@cas.org writes:

|Hardcovers

|Winds of Change-Lackey-not seen as of September 23rd

Have it in my car, bought it at B. Dalton's a couple of days ago.

--
sar...@teradata.com (formerly tdatirv!sarima)
or

Craig Boeker

Oct 1, 1992, 4:57:57 PM10/1/92
In article <1992Sep30.2...@ists.ists.ca>, dchh...@stpl.ists.ca (Deepak CHHABRA) writes:
|> In article <yshah.7...@lucpul.it.luc.edu> ys...@lucpul.it.luc.edu (Guessing) writes:
|> >
|> >all the "details" as some put it....there simply just too much of it. I got
|> >tired of "Rand does better with girls..." constantly throughout the book.
|>
|> I thought this thread was hilarious.

Did you notice that each of the three boys (Mat, Perrin and Rand) though
that the other two were better with girls? Although it was a bit
repetitious I found it amusing (and will admit it took me a while to
catch on to it).

| Craig Boeker |
| cbo...@bnr.ca It was like that when I got here. |
| BNR Atlanta |

Courtenay Footman

Oct 1, 1992, 8:59:54 PM10/1/92
In Ithaca, NY, the local B. Dalton's had not even heard of the book (!). On the
same day, it arrived at the local SF store (Borealis). I finished it at 0600
Wednesday morning. Someday I will learn how to put a book down.

Courtenay Footman I finally got back on the net.

c...@alchemy.ithaca.ny.us Now I will never get anything done

Courtenay Footman

Oct 1, 1992, 9:02:34 PM10/1/92
In my previous post, I left out two words at the start of the first sentence.
It should read: "On Tuesday, in Ithaca, NY, ...". Sorry about that.

ap...@mta.ca

Oct 2, 1992, 1:40:01 PM10/2/92
In article <1992Oct2.0...@alchemy.ithaca.ny.us>, c...@alchemy.TN.Cornell.EDU (Courtenay

Does anyone know when SR is due out in the Maritimes? Now that
I know the book is out I'm going to go crazy if I don't get a copy
really soon.
thanks in advance,
A.Pash

Brian McKee

Oct 2, 1992, 2:21:41 PM10/2/92
A local (huge!) bookstore here in Dayton called Books & Co. has "Shadow Rising".
I bought it last night, and found out the Robert Jordan was there for a book
signing! I wish I had known ahead of time so I could have brought all 4 in The
Wheel of Time series Several people had ALL of his books, including his Conan
books and several written under pseudonyms -- he mentioned writing westerns and
historical (e.g. civil war) novels under the names Reagan O'neill and
-something- O'Reilly.

Jordan was quite interesting and personable. He said he used to be an
engineer of somekind. He LOOKED and sounded somewhat like a computer-type (a
little nerdy -- I can say that, since I'm one too :-). It took FOREVER to get
through the few people who were there for the signing (it wasn't advertised,
at least not very well), because he took a break between each book he signed
to tell a little bit more about himself (which was definitely intersting).
Several people asked, of course, how the series was going to end, and, of
course, he wouldn't say, except to suggest finding out by buying the book when
it's published.

He mentioned that there was a special limited edition set of the four books in
the series so far being published in leather bound, gold-inset (?) volumes,
selling for around $200 (or was it $200 per book?). I think he said only
200 copies would be published (200 seemed to come up a lot in his dialogue :-).

--
Brian McKee | The opinions expressed | The trouble with being
Mead Data Central | above are mine and not | punctual is that people

Michel Forget

Oct 3, 1992, 5:25:29 AM10/3/92
ap...@mta.ca writes:

- In article <1992Oct2.0...@alchemy.ithaca.ny.us>, c...@alchemy.TN.Corne
-
-
- Does anyone know when SR is due out in the Maritimes? Now that
- I know the book is out I'm going to go crazy if I don't get a copy
- really soon.
- thanks in advance,
- A.Pash
-

I know that feeling. Knowing that it is out all over the United States, and
still has not arrived here, is driving me crazy. Have you noticed that the
bookstores are spectacularly uninformed when it comes to availability? :-(

I have heard that the book is over seven hundred pages long, and I am anxious
to get started. At least the third book (or the others) was a story in itself,
rather than a cliff-hanger.

<< ------------------------------------------ >>
<< mfo...@ersys.edmonton.ab.ca >>
<< ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ >>
<< Michel Forget >>
<< The Key: Spirit over mind over matter. >>
<< ------------------------------------------ >>

Gary D. Duzan

Oct 3, 1992, 3:58:41 PM10/3/92
In article <7oa3RB...@ersys.edmonton.ab.ca> mfo...@ersys.edmonton.ab.ca (Michel Forget) writes:
=>
=>I know that feeling. Knowing that it is out all over the United States, and
=>still has not arrived here, is driving me crazy. Have you noticed that the
=>bookstores are spectacularly uninformed when it comes to availability? :-(
=>
=>I have heard that the book is over seven hundred pages long, and I am anxious
=>to get started. At least the third book (or the others) was a story in itself,
=>rather than a cliff-hanger.
=>
701, including (as they did) the title pages, table of contents, maps,
glossary, and "About the Author". The story starts on page 13 and ends on
page 681. I'm only on page 75, myself. Since I only ran across the series
a couple months ago, I haven't had a chance to complain too much about
waiting for the next one. I even ordered the hardcover TDR just before
the paperback came out, and I found TSR on the shelf at Waldenbooks. :-)
The Wheel turns as the Wheel wills.

Gary Duzan
Time Lord
Third Regeneration
Aielman

--
du...@cis.udel.edu
_o_ ------------------ _o_
[|o o|] Virtual Reality? No thanks, I've already got one. [|o o|]
|_O_| Disclaimer: I have no idea what I am talking about. |_O_|

John C. Hansen

Oct 5, 1992, 9:40:14 AM10/5/92
writes:

> still has not arrived here, is driving me crazy. Have you noticed that the
> bookstores are spectacularly uninformed when it comes to availability? :-(

I went to B Dalton's in a local mall and they said it would be available
on Oct 9. I walked to the other end of the mall to Waldenbooks, and bought
it the same day. Why did one have it and the other not? Who knows....

> I have heard that the book is over seven hundred pages long, and I am anxious
> to get started. At least the third book (or the others) was a story in itself,
> rather than a cliff-hanger.

I thoroughly enjoyed it. The book is huge. The leading is tighter and the
margins are much narrower. That plus the additional 100 pages makes for
a much longer book than the other three. Lets start some discussion
regarding its contents (Protected by spoilers, of course...)

--
John C. Hansen
han...@logdis1.hq.aflc.af.mil "... I am working on

Deepak CHHABRA

Oct 5, 1992, 3:55:22 PM10/5/92

>|> I thought this thread was hilarious.
>|>

>Did you notice that each of the three boys (Mat, Perrin and Rand) though
> that the other two were better with girls? Although it was a bit
> repetitious I found it amusing (and will admit it took me a while to

> catch on )

I noticed it fairly early on, so I never really considered it repetitive. But
it was definitely funny.

Regarding Jordan's mess-up: in Chapter 52 (In Search of a Remedy), Mat takes
Thom to Mother Guenna to heal his cough. He identifies himself as Mat Cauthon.
No problem here. However, when he asks about Nynaeve, Egwene, and Elayne, she
responds "...You are too late, **Matrim** Cauthon..." Yet nobody ever said his
full name was Matrim. Three times after that, she calls him Mat Cauthon.

Did anybody else notice this? And if not, does anyone else think it's an
outright mistake? I'm discounting the possibility that Mother Guenna is more
than she seems to be. It wouldn't make a great deal of sense if she were, and
I don't think it's realistic to expect that Mat himself wouldn't have noticed
her knowledge of his full name. It's perhaps possible that Mat is a known
short form for Matrim, but I don't buy that theory either. Any thoughts?

dchh...@stpl.ists.ca