Lotsa F/SF Firebirds!

Peter D. Tillman

Aug 14, 2007, 2:31:25 AM8/14/07
I looked to see if our library has a copy of R. Garcia y Roberson's
Firebird (2006). They don't, but do offer

Firebird
Lackey, Mercedes.
New York : Tor, 1996.

Firebird
Tyers, Kathy.
Minneapolis : Bethany House Publishers, c1999.

The Firebird
Yolen, Jane.
[New York] : HarperCollins, c2002.

The Yolen is a slight stretch, being her retelling of the Russian
folktale in which Prince Ivan encounters the magical Firebird who helps
him defeat the evil Kostchei. OK, not really much of a stretch....

Ah, and here's another version of the same fairytale:
The firebird / retold by Selina Hastings ; illustrated by Reg Cartwright.
Pub. Info Cambridge, Mass. : Candlewick Press, 1993.

Anybody have a title used more than four times in F/SF?

Cheers -- Pete Tillman

Anthony Nance

Aug 14, 2007, 3:12:39 AM8/14/07

"Time Trap" and "Genesis" both come to mind. Let's see, isfdb says
"Time Trap" has been used - oh wow, looks like ten times; thirteen
if you allow "The Time Trap", too.

And "Genesis"...wow again - looks like it has been used by at least
ten different authors.

Tony

William George Ferguson

Aug 14, 2007, 12:23:25 PM8/14/07
On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 00:31:25 -0600, "Peter D. Tillman"
<Til...@toast.net_DIESPAMMERSDIE> wrote:

>I looked to see if our library has a copy of R. Garcia y Roberson's
>Firebird (2006). They don't, but do offer
>
>Firebird
>Lackey, Mercedes.
>New York : Tor, 1996.
>
>Firebird
>Tyers, Kathy.
>Minneapolis : Bethany House Publishers, c1999.
>
>The Firebird
>Yolen, Jane.
>[New York] : HarperCollins, c2002.
>
>The Yolen is a slight stretch, being her retelling of the Russian
>folktale in which Prince Ivan encounters the magical Firebird who helps
>him defeat the evil Kostchei. OK, not really much of a stretch....

The Lackey is also a retelling of the Russian folktale.

The Tyers isn't.

--
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.

Elaine Thompson

Aug 14, 2007, 1:05:45 PM8/14/07
On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 09:23:25 -0700, William George Ferguson
<wmgf...@newsguy.com> wrote:

>On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 00:31:25 -0600, "Peter D. Tillman"
><Til...@toast.net_DIESPAMMERSDIE> wrote:
>
>>I looked to see if our library has a copy of R. Garcia y Roberson's
>>Firebird (2006). They don't, but do offer
>>
>>Firebird
>>Lackey, Mercedes.
>>New York : Tor, 1996.
>>
>>Firebird
>>Tyers, Kathy.
>>Minneapolis : Bethany House Publishers, c1999.
>>
>>The Firebird
>>Yolen, Jane.
>>[New York] : HarperCollins, c2002.
>>
>>The Yolen is a slight stretch, being her retelling of the Russian
>>folktale in which Prince Ivan encounters the magical Firebird who helps
>>him defeat the evil Kostchei. OK, not really much of a stretch....
>
>The Lackey is also a retelling of the Russian folktale.
>
>The Tyers isn't.

Didn't Peter Morwood write one based on the folktale, too? I only
remember seeing in the store as an expensive import at a time I was
low on funds, so I don't have it, and don't recall the title.

--
Elaine Thompson <Ela...@KEThompson.org>

David Tate

Aug 14, 2007, 2:15:01 PM8/14/07
On Aug 14, 2:31 am, "Peter D. Tillman"

<Till...@toast.net_DIESPAMMERSDIE> wrote:

> Anybody have a title used more than four times in F/SF?

Allowing a little slack for plurals:
War Game SHORTFICTION 1957 Bryce Walton
War Game SHORTFICTION 1959 Philip K. Dick
War Games SHORTFICTION 1963 Christopher Anvil
War Games NOVEL 1981 Karl Hansen
War Games NOVEL 1981 Brian Stableford
War Games SHORTFICTION 2005 Lisanne Norman

David Tate

Konrad Gaertner

Aug 14, 2007, 4:31:33 PM8/14/07
"Peter D. Tillman" wrote:

> Anybody have a title used more than four times in F/SF?

This came to mind immediately due to my attempts to see if my
library had ordered the latest Bujold yet; from ISFDB:

A search for "legacy" found 238 matches (limit 100)
[... skip to bottom...]
Legacy NOVEL 1995 Greg Bear
Legacy NOVEL 1991 Michael Jan Friedman
Legacy NOVEL 1980 Joan D. Vinge
Legacy NOVEL 1995 Steve White
Legacy NOVEL 1994 Gary Russell
Legacy NOVEL 1976 J. F. Bone
Legacy NOVEL 2003 Debbie Viguie Nancy Holder
Legacy NOVEL 2002 Glenn R. Sixbury
Legacy NOVEL 1990 James A. Michener
Legacy SHORTFICTION 1995 Nora M. Mulligan
Legacy SHORTFICTION 1940 Nelson S. Bond
Legacy SHORTFICTION 1985 Terence M. Green
Legacy SHORTFICTION 1983 George Florance-Guthridge Dianne M.
Thompson
Legacy SHORTFICTION 1977 Charles Sheffield

Does anyone know how to bypass that 100 limit?

--
Konrad Gaertner - - - - - - - - - - - - - email: kgae...@tx.rr.com
http://kgbooklog.livejournal.com/

Ahasuerus

Aug 14, 2007, 5:52:16 PM8/14/07
On Aug 14, 2:31 pm, Konrad Gaertner <kgaert...@tx.rr.com> wrote:
> "Peter D. Tillman" wrote:
>
> > Anybody have a title used more than four times in F/SF?
>
> This came to mind immediately due to my attempts to see if my
> library had ordered the latest Bujold yet; from ISFDB:
>
> A search for "legacy" found 238 matches (limit 100)
> [... skip to bottom...]
> Legacy NOVEL 1995 Greg Bear
> Legacy NOVEL 1991 Michael Jan Friedman
> Legacy NOVEL 1980 Joan D. Vinge
> Legacy NOVEL 1995 Steve White
> Legacy NOVEL 1994 Gary Russell
> Legacy NOVEL 1976 J. F. Bone
> Legacy NOVEL 2003 Debbie Viguie Nancy Holder
> Legacy NOVEL 2002 Glenn R. Sixbury
> Legacy NOVEL 1990 James A. Michener
> Legacy SHORTFICTION 1995 Nora M. Mulligan
> Legacy SHORTFICTION 1940 Nelson S. Bond
> Legacy SHORTFICTION 1985 Terence M. Green
> Legacy SHORTFICTION 1983 George Florance-Guthridge Dianne M.
> Thompson
> Legacy SHORTFICTION 1977 Charles Sheffield
>
> Does anyone know how to bypass that 100 limit?

You can play with Advanced Search options that add additional filters
to your search so that it would generate a shorter list. If the search
can't be narrowed down, then you'll have to wait for the "More" button
to be added to this search form. In the meantime, you could install
the ISFDB database on your computer and learn how to run searches in
MySQL -- or you could ask the ISFDB team to do it for you :)

Marilee J. Layman

Aug 15, 2007, 3:13:07 AM8/15/07
On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 00:31:25 -0600, "Peter D. Tillman"
<Til...@toast.net_DIESPAMMERSDIE> wrote:

>I looked to see if our library has a copy of R. Garcia y Roberson's
>Firebird (2006). They don't, but do offer
>
>Firebird
>Lackey, Mercedes.
>New York : Tor, 1996.
>
>Firebird
>Tyers, Kathy.
>Minneapolis : Bethany House Publishers, c1999.
>
>The Firebird
>Yolen, Jane.
>[New York] : HarperCollins, c2002.

Also, Firebirds, an anthology edited by Sharyn November, 2003.

--
Marilee J. Layman
http://mjlayman.livejournal.com

Marilee J. Layman

Aug 16, 2007, 12:01:06 AM8/16/07
On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 21:52:16 -0000, Ahasuerus <ahas...@email.com>
wrote:

>or you could ask the ISFDB team to do it for you :)

And how could I ask the ISFDB team to fix errors? I couldn't find a
button or link for that.

Jon Schild

Aug 17, 2007, 3:37:26 PM8/17/07

"Mirror, Mirror" occurs as an episode title of 15 different TV shows,
but admittedly not all are science fiction or related.

--
Surrealism is just not my cup of tuna.

Ahasuerus

Aug 17, 2007, 9:47:19 PM8/17/07
On Aug 15, 10:01 pm, Marilee J. Layman <mari...@mjlayman.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 21:52:16 -0000, Ahasuerus <ahasue...@email.com>
> wrote: [snip]

> >or you could ask the ISFDB team to do it for you :)
>
> And how could I ask the ISFDB team to fix errors? I couldn't find a
> button or link for that.

Hm, it looks like we may need to do revisit our user interface :(

The ISFDB has had outside submissions enabled since December 2006, so
you can submit data corrections directly -- see
http://www.isfdb.org/wiki/index.php/Help:Getting_Started for help on
getting started.

If you have more general questions or concerns regarding ISFDB
policies, layout, bugs, etc, then the ISFDB Wiki would be the best
place to discuss them. The ISFDB home page (http://www.isfdb.org/) has
a link to the Wiki (http://www.isfdb.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page),
which lists various areas including the Community Portal (http://
www.isfdb.org/wiki/index.php/ISFDB:Community_Portal), generally a good
place to start.

Marilee J. Layman

Aug 18, 2007, 4:12:08 AM8/18/07
On Sat, 18 Aug 2007 01:47:19 -0000, Ahasuerus <ahas...@email.com>
wrote:

Well, I don't have the time to do that. Let me give the one I've
found to you here:

You have an "Alistair Reynolds" listed with _Revelation Space_ to his
name. You can just delete that because your listing for "Alastair
Reynolds" is right.

Ahasuerus

Aug 19, 2007, 1:18:57 AM8/19/07
On Aug 18, 4:12 am, Marilee J. Layman <mari...@mjlayman.com> wrote:
[snip]

> You have an "Alistair Reynolds" listed with _Revelation Space_ to his
> name. You can just delete that because your listing for "Alastair
> Reynolds" is right.

Thanks, fixed :)

BTW, I search r.a.sf.w. for "ISFDB" on a regular basis, so any issues/
errors posted here are likely to be noticed and addressed.