Cool dogs in SF?

Peter Meilinger

Jan 29, 2003, 9:40:10 AM1/29/03
Can anyone point me towards stories with dogs as at least
important minor characters? I want cool dogs, though, not
your average, run of the mill dog. It seems like every other
book out there has a cat in it, often a talking cat, but
dogs are harder to come by.

I don't care if the dogs talk or not, by the way. If I had
to choose, I'd probably prefer more realistic portrayals.
I'm not 100% sure what I'm looking for, actually, so I'm
trying to keep my request pretty broad.

Pete

Emma Edwards

Jan 29, 2003, 10:11:27 AM1/29/03

"Peter Meilinger" <mell...@bu.edu> wrote in message

Most obvious one that I can think of is Gaspode the Wonder Dog - features
primarily in Moving Pictures but I think is also in other Discworld novels.
Definitely a cool dog.

Emma

Dorothy J Heydt

Jan 29, 2003, 10:11:03 AM1/29/03
In article <b18p4a$cia$2...@news3.bu.edu>,

Peter Meilinger <mell...@bu.edu> wrote:
>Can anyone point me towards stories with dogs as at least
>important minor characters?

Well, there's Eric Frank Russell's "Into Your Tent I'll Creep,"
attributing to a dog the kind of insidious subterfuge we usually
associate with cats.

>. It seems like every other
>book out there has a cat in it, often a talking cat, but
>dogs are harder to come by.

Well, writers are usually the kind of people who have cats. This
skews the distribution.

I don't know if you'd count 'em as dogs, they're more like
wolves, but in Harry Turtledove's _Earthgrip_ (I'm talking about
the third element of a fixup novel, about the last half of the
book there are some very interesting canine/lupine aliens.
Others by Anderson, in one of the early Flandry stories variously
called "We Claim These Stars!" and "Hunters of the Sky Cave."

Dorothy J. Heydt
Albany, California
djh...@kithrup.com
http://www.kithrup.com/~djheydt

Nomad

Jan 29, 2003, 10:39:57 AM1/29/03
"Peter Meilinger" <mell...@bu.edu> wrote in message

Well, it ain't realistic, but how about Dean Koontz's Watchers?

Trent Goulding

Jan 29, 2003, 10:43:54 AM1/29/03
Peter Meilinger <mell...@bu.edu> wrote:

How about Zelazny's _A Night in the Lonesome October_, where the
dog, Snuff, is the narrator?

--
Trent Goulding trent.g...@mho.com
Booklog: http://home.mho.net/trent.goulding/books/blcurrent.html

Nyrath the nearly wise

Jan 29, 2003, 10:51:07 AM1/29/03
Peter Meilinger wrote:
> Can anyone point me towards stories with dogs as at least
> important minor characters? I want cool dogs, though, not
> your average, run of the mill dog. It seems like every other
> book out there has a cat in it, often a talking cat, but
> dogs are harder to come by.

There are *lots* of cool dogs in
Clifford Simak's classic CITY.

There are sort of dogs in John Campbell's
INVADERS FROM THE INFINITE, but that novel
is a bit old.

Peter Meilinger

Jan 29, 2003, 10:52:41 AM1/29/03
Dorothy J Heydt <djh...@kithrup.com> wrote:
>In article <b18p4a$cia$2...@news3.bu.edu>,
>Peter Meilinger <mell...@bu.edu> wrote:
>>Can anyone point me towards stories with dogs as at least
>>important minor characters?

>Well, there's Eric Frank Russell's "Into Your Tent I'll Creep,"
>attributing to a dog the kind of insidious subterfuge we usually
>associate with cats.

Sounds interesting. I'll look it up.

>>. It seems like every other
>>book out there has a cat in it, often a talking cat, but
>>dogs are harder to come by.

>Well, writers are usually the kind of people who have cats. This
>skews the distribution.

Feh, I say. Also bah!

>I don't know if you'd count 'em as dogs, they're more like
>wolves, but in Harry Turtledove's _Earthgrip_ (I'm talking about
>the third element of a fixup novel, about the last half of the
>book there are some very interesting canine/lupine aliens.

I'm not so big on Turtledove anymore, but I don't know anything
about Earthgrip. I'll take a look the next time I'm at the
library.

>>Others by Anderson, in one of the early Flandry stories variously
>called "We Claim These Stars!" and "Hunters of the Sky Cave."

Yeah? I'm always up for Anderson. Thanks!

Pete

Peter Meilinger

Jan 29, 2003, 10:56:26 AM1/29/03
Emma Edwards <ej...@student.open.ac.uk> wrote:

>Most obvious one that I can think of is Gaspode the Wonder Dog - features
>primarily in Moving Pictures but I think is also in other Discworld novels.
>Definitely a cool dog.

Absolutely. Gaspode is one of my favorite of all the Discworld
characters. I liked all the dogs in Men At Arms, too, if that's
the story I'm thinking of. The one where the insane lapdog ran
the feral dog gang.

Pete

Peter Meilinger

Jan 29, 2003, 10:57:47 AM1/29/03
Nomad <desert....@verizon.net> wrote:

>Well, it ain't realistic, but how about Dean Koontz's Watchers?

I liked that one. It's been quite a while, I might have to
re-read it. That was from Koontz's better years, before insane
government agents and agencies turned out to be behind everything.

Pete

Nancy Lebovitz

Jan 29, 2003, 11:47:28 AM1/29/03
In article <b18p4a$cia$2...@news3.bu.edu>,
Peter Meilinger <mell...@bu.edu> wrote:

There's a cool (modified/talking) dog in Sterling's _Holy Fire_.
--
Nancy Lebovitz na...@netaxs.com www.nancybuttons.com
Now, with bumper stickers

Using your turn signal is not "giving information to the enemy"

Andrew Plotkin

Jan 29, 2003, 11:48:56 AM1/29/03

Nix's _Lirael_ / _Abhorsen_, which I was posting about a few weeks
ago, has a Disreputable Dog. I thought she was pretty cool.

--Z (and yes, she admitted that "Disreputable Bitch" was more
technically correct, but she preferred "Dog".)

*

Ethan Merritt

Jan 29, 2003, 11:49:45 AM1/29/03
In article <b18p4a$cia$2...@news3.bu.edu>,
Peter Meilinger <mell...@bu.edu> wrote:
>Can anyone point me towards stories with dogs as at least
>important minor characters? I want cool dogs, though, not
>your average, run of the mill dog.

How about the very non-cool (as in 'runs so hot it requires
external cooling') dog in Stephenson's _Snow Crash_?

--
Ethan A Merritt

Beowulf Bolt

Jan 29, 2003, 12:07:42 PM1/29/03
> Peter Meilinger <mell...@bu.edu> wrote:
>
> >Can anyone point me towards stories with dogs as at least
> >important minor characters? I want cool dogs, though, not
> >your average, run of the mill dog. It seems like every other
> >book out there has a cat in it, often a talking cat, but
> >dogs are harder to come by.
> >
> >I don't care if the dogs talk or not, by the way. If I had
> >to choose, I'd probably prefer more realistic portrayals.
> >I'm not 100% sure what I'm looking for, actually, so I'm
> >trying to keep my request pretty broad.

The telepathic dog, Blood, from Ellison's "A Boy and his Dog", jumps
immediately to mind...

Biff

"Me? Lady, I'm your worst nightmare - a pumpkin with a gun.
[...] Euminides this! " - Mervyn, the Sandman #66

Hallvard B Furuseth

Jan 29, 2003, 12:17:08 PM1/29/03
na...@unix1.netaxs.com (Nancy Lebovitz) writes:

> There's a cool (modified/talking) dog in Sterling's _Holy Fire_.

We don't see much of it, though.

--
Hallvard

GSV Three Minds in a Can

Jan 29, 2003, 11:25:43 AM1/29/03
Bitstring <H9HE6...@kithrup.com>, from the wonderful person Dorothy J
Heydt <djh...@kithrup.com> said

>In article <b18p4a$cia$2...@news3.bu.edu>,
>Peter Meilinger <mell...@bu.edu> wrote:
>>Can anyone point me towards stories with dogs as at least
>>important minor characters?
>
>Well, there's Eric Frank Russell's "Into Your Tent I'll Creep,"
>attributing to a dog the kind of insidious subterfuge we usually
>associate with cats.

And the immortal _Allamagoosa_ .. don't forget that. Laugh, I could have
wept. 8>.

--
GSV Three Minds in a Can

Taki Kogoma

Jan 29, 2003, 12:33:27 PM1/29/03
On 29 Jan 2003 14:40:10 GMT, did Peter Meilinger <mell...@bu.edu>,
to rec.arts.sf.written decree...

Does the Rat Thing from _Snow Crash_ qualify?

--
Capt. Gym Z. Quirk | /"\ ASCII RIBBON
(Known to some as Taki Kogoma) | \ / CAMPAIGN

Luna

Jan 29, 2003, 12:57:21 PM1/29/03
In article <hBSZ9.19$uE2...@nwrddc04.gnilink.net>,
"Nomad" <desert....@verizon.net> wrote:

Koontz's _One Door Away From Heaven_ has a cool dog. Not a magical dog at
all, but important to the story. Not a bad book either, a bit too much of
a "deus ex machina" ending, but fun to read.

--
-Michelle Levin (Luna)
http://www.mindspring.com/~lunachick

In the beginning, there was nothing. Then it exploded.

Mike Schilling

Jan 29, 2003, 1:06:26 PM1/29/03
Peter Meilinger" <mell...@bu.edu> wrote in message
> > Can anyone point me towards stories with dogs as at least
> > important minor characters? I want cool dogs, though, not
> > your average, run of the mill dog. It seems like every other
> > book out there has a cat in it, often a talking cat, but
> > dogs are harder to come by.

Harlan Ellison's _A Boy and His Dog_.

Leif Magnar Kj|nn|y

Jan 29, 2003, 1:16:36 PM1/29/03
In article <b190n9$ulc$1...@brogar.bmsc.washington.edu>,

He was definitely a Good Dog.

If you count dog-like aliens, there's the Tines from _A Fire Upon
the Deep_, of course.

--
Leif Kj{\o}nn{\o}y | "Its habit of getting up late you'll agree
www.pvv.org/~leifmk| That it carries too far, when I say

Hobnob

Jan 29, 2003, 1:20:20 PM1/29/03
Peter Meilinger <mell...@bu.edu> wrote in message news:<b18p4a$cia$2...@news3.bu.edu>...
> Can anyone point me towards stories with dogs as at least
> important minor characters? I want cool dogs, though, not
> your average, run of the mill dog.

"Fido" in "Snow Crash" (by Neal Stephenson) is very cool, and
certainly not run-of-the-mill (though properly speaking he's a *hot*
dog).

There's a resonably important dog (who's a viewpoint character for a
little while) in Peter Hamilton's "The Reality Dysfunction".

Fluke, in "Fluke", by James Herbert, is the major character.
(Herbert's usual genre is horror, but this is fantasy).

The tines in "A Fire Upon the Deep" (V. Vinge) aren't quite dogs, but
are rather dog-like, and important to the plot (also the one in "The
Blabber").

-- Hobnob

artyw

Jan 29, 2003, 1:56:59 PM1/29/03
Peter Meilinger <mell...@bu.edu> wrote in message news:<b18p4a$cia$2...@news3.bu.edu>...
Top Dog by Jerry Jay(?) Carroll has a normal earth human who gets
turned into a dog in a fantasy world.
The latest Hartwell collection had two pretty good dog stories one by
Michael Swanwick and one by Lisa Goldstein (?)

EdLincoln

Jan 29, 2003, 2:00:20 PM1/29/03
I would second the reccomendations of the dogs in _City_ by Simak and the
wolf-oid Tines in Ving's _A Fire Upon the Deep_. Actually, one of the sequels
to _One Hundred and One Dalmations_, titled "The Twilight Barking_ was Sci Fi
or fantasy. While I wold not reccomend it, there is a telapathic wlof in
_Wolfling_ by Dalmas.

I have heard it ssaid that all science fiction fans are like cats. i have also
heard it said that all great dictators & conquers hated cats. Therefore, if
these two statements are true, no science fiction fan can ever be a great
dictator.

[that's a syllogism....]

Sea Wasp for president!

<< Subject: Re: Cool dogs in SF?
From: hob...@nomates.org (Hobnob)
Date: Wed, Jan 29, 2003 1:20 PM

Stewart Robert Hinsley

Jan 29, 2003, 1:59:47 PM1/29/03
In article <b18tja$89n$2...@news3.bu.edu>, Peter Meilinger
<mell...@bu.edu> quotes

>>Most obvious one that I can think of is Gaspode the Wonder Dog - features
>>primarily in Moving Pictures but I think is also in other Discworld novels.
>>Definitely a cool dog.

Also present in The Fifth Elephant.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Lots42 bomb vice president

Jan 29, 2003, 3:09:47 PM1/29/03
>From: Peter Meilinger mell...@bu.edu

>I don't care if the dogs talk or not, by the way. If I had
>to choose, I'd probably prefer more realistic portrayals.
>I'm not 100% sure what I'm looking for, actually, so I'm
>trying to keep my request pretty broad.
>
>Pete

More supernatural then anything, check out the book 'Thor'. All from the point
of view of a smart German Shepard. Not -human- smart, mind you. It's a fun
book, scary and well-written.[1] The blurb on the back of the edition I got
doesn't exactly match what goes on in the book but when does it ever?

[1] Thor is the only one who knows something really bad is prowling the woods
near his family's home.

Doug

Jan 29, 2003, 4:12:44 PM1/29/03
Peter Meilinger <mell...@bu.edu> wrote in message news:<b18p4a$cia$2...@news3.bu.edu>...

_Dark is the Sun_ by Phillip Jose Farmer has both a cool dog and a
cool cat as Tontos to the main character.

There's a short story, maybe called "Fetch," that features a sapceship
which was evolved from a dog. That's a spoiler, but what the hey.

Say, is this stuff going into the FAQ?

Doug

Steve Taylor

Jan 29, 2003, 4:20:24 PM1/29/03
Peter Meilinger wrote:

> Can anyone point me towards stories with dogs as at least
> important minor characters? I want cool dogs, though, not
> your average, run of the mill dog. It seems like every other
> book out there has a cat in it, often a talking cat, but
> dogs are harder to come by.

There's Gaspode in some of the Pratchett books - though he's far from my
favourite character. I find him quite irritating actually. There are
some nicely handled wolves in _The Fifth Elephant_.

> Pete

Steve

Konrad Gaertner

Jan 29, 2003, 4:20:56 PM1/29/03
Peter Meilinger wrote:

> Can anyone point me towards stories with dogs as at least
> important minor characters? I want cool dogs, though, not
> your average, run of the mill dog. It seems like every other
> book out there has a cat in it, often a talking cat, but
> dogs are harder to come by.
>
> I don't care if the dogs talk or not, by the way. If I had
> to choose, I'd probably prefer more realistic portrayals.
> I'm not 100% sure what I'm looking for, actually, so I'm
> trying to keep my request pretty broad.

_Dogsbody_ DW Jones
_Dogland_ Shetterly
_Wizard's Dilemma_, _A Wizard Alone_ Duane
_Assassin's Apprentice_ Hobb
_A Night in the Lonesome October_ Zelazny
_Moving Pictures_, _Men at Arms_, _Fifth Elephant_ Pratchett
_Lirael_, _Abhorsen_ Nix

Wolves might give more results...

--KG

Jesper Svedberg

Jan 29, 2003, 4:59:10 PM1/29/03
In article <b18p4a$cia$2...@news3.bu.edu>, Peter Meilinger (mell...@bu.edu)
says...

> Can anyone point me towards stories with dogs as at least
> important minor characters? I want cool dogs, though, not
> your average, run of the mill dog. It seems like every other
> book out there has a cat in it, often a talking cat, but
> dogs are harder to come by.
>
> I don't care if the dogs talk or not, by the way. If I had
> to choose, I'd probably prefer more realistic portrayals.
> I'm not 100% sure what I'm looking for, actually, so I'm
> trying to keep my request pretty broad.

_Dogsbody_ by Diana Wynne Jones. Sirius, the dog-star, is punished for a
crime he didn't commit by being sent to earth in the form of a puppy.
Features Jones's trademark ability to make even the daftest of ideas make
more sense that the real world.

Some of the wolves in Martin's "A Song of Ice and Fire" are pretty cool
as dogs as well.

And weren't there also a couple of cool dogs in Susan Cooper's "A Dark is
Rising" series?

// Jesper Svedberg

Brandon Ray

Jan 29, 2003, 7:27:11 PM1/29/03

Peter Meilinger wrote:

> Can anyone point me towards stories with dogs as at least
> important minor characters? I want cool dogs, though, not
> your average, run of the mill dog. It seems like every other
> book out there has a cat in it, often a talking cat, but
> dogs are harder to come by.
>
> I don't care if the dogs talk or not, by the way. If I had
> to choose, I'd probably prefer more realistic portrayals.
> I'm not 100% sure what I'm looking for, actually, so I'm
> trying to keep my request pretty broad.
>

> Pete

I'm fond of Cyril, the bulldog, in "To Say Nothing of the Dog" by
Connie Willis.

--
In this house we obey the laws of thermodynamics! -- Homer Simpson

Dylan Alexander

Jan 29, 2003, 6:43:15 PM1/29/03
<mell...@bu.edu> wrote:

> Can anyone point me towards stories with dogs as at least
> important minor characters? I want cool dogs, though, not
> your average, run of the mill dog. It seems like every other
> book out there has a cat in it, often a talking cat, but
> dogs are harder to come by.
>
> I don't care if the dogs talk or not, by the way. If I had
> to choose, I'd probably prefer more realistic portrayals.
> I'm not 100% sure what I'm looking for, actually, so I'm
> trying to keep my request pretty broad.

Steven Erikson LOVES DOGS. We had magical ass kicking Hounds
of Shadow, a death defying cattle dog with its lapdoag friend
and side kick, a mysterious man eating indestructible pet dog,
a ferocious rat eating dog that in a cameo saves one of Our Heroes,
etc.

He also likes chains. There are (barely) more people in chains
or related to chains than there are dogs. Naturally, his most
memorable story sequence is about something called the Chain of
Dogs.

I deeply fear he will write an S&M/bestiality story one of these
days.

--
Dylan Alexander

Luke Webber

Jan 29, 2003, 6:52:19 PM1/29/03
"Peter Meilinger" <mell...@bu.edu> wrote in message
> Can anyone point me towards stories with dogs as at least
> important minor characters? I want cool dogs, though, not
> your average, run of the mill dog. It seems like every other
> book out there has a cat in it, often a talking cat, but
> dogs are harder to come by.
>
> I don't care if the dogs talk or not, by the way. If I had
> to choose, I'd probably prefer more realistic portrayals.
> I'm not 100% sure what I'm looking for, actually, so I'm
> trying to keep my request pretty broad.

Try _Sirius_ by Olaf Stapledon and _The Dream Master_ by Roger Zelazny.
Sirius is born with human or better intelligence and surgically modified for
speech. The Malamute in TDM was gene-tailored.

Then there's Telzey Amberdon's dog Chomir in James Schmitz's TA books. Try
_The Universe Against Her_, because ISTR that Chomir features heavily in
that one.

Luke

Doug Mitchell

Jan 29, 2003, 7:08:37 PM1/29/03
"Andrew Plotkin" <erky...@eblong.com> a écrit dans le message news:
b190lo$973$4...@reader1.panix.com...

> Nix's _Lirael_ / _Abhorsen_, which I was posting about a few weeks
> ago, has a Disreputable Dog. I thought she was pretty cool.

I agree. The interaction between Mogget the Cat and the Disreputable Dog was
a highlight of "Lirael". My 7 year old put up with listening to this book on
tape in most part to hear the parts involving the Disreputable Dog . We look
forward to seeing their relationship continue in "Abhorsen".

Doug

jere7my tho?rpe

Jan 29, 2003, 6:59:26 PM1/29/03
In article <b18p4a$cia$2...@news3.bu.edu>,
Peter Meilinger <mell...@bu.edu> wrote:

> Can anyone point me towards stories with dogs as at least
> important minor characters? I want cool dogs, though, not
> your average, run of the mill dog.

_To Say Nothing of the Dog_ by Connie Willis has a fantastic,
more-or-less realistic dog character who is lovable, smart, and stupid,
just like a real dog.

----j7y

jere7my tho?rpe / 734-769-0913 "Homo sum: humani nihil a me
Remove *spamfilter* to reply via email alienum puto." ---Terentius

Konrad Gaertner

Jan 29, 2003, 7:16:08 PM1/29/03
Dylan Alexander wrote:

> Steven Erikson LOVES DOGS. We had magical ass kicking Hounds
> of Shadow, a death defying cattle dog with its lapdoag friend
> and side kick, a mysterious man eating indestructible pet dog,

My first thought when reading this was "How do you eat an
indestructable dog?"

--KG

J.B. Moreno

Jan 29, 2003, 7:18:23 PM1/29/03
GSV Three Minds in a Can <GSV@[127.0.0.1]> wrote:

spoilers for a story by Russell ahead

-snip-

> And the immortal _Allamagoosa_ .. don't forget that. Laugh, I could have
> wept. 8>.

That's a bit of a spoiler, don't you think?

--
JBM
"Your depression will be added to my own" -- Marvin of Borg

J.B. Moreno

Jan 29, 2003, 7:18:34 PM1/29/03
Peter Meilinger <mell...@bu.edu> wrote:

> I don't care if the dogs talk or not, by the way. If I had
> to choose, I'd probably prefer more realistic portrayals.
> I'm not 100% sure what I'm looking for, actually, so I'm
> trying to keep my request pretty broad.

Nobody has yet mentioned the dog in the _Magnificent Wilf_ by Dickson --
super-intelligent, and can fly (sorta) by end of the book...

Kay Archer

Jan 29, 2003, 7:34:05 PM1/29/03
"Peter Meilinger" <mell...@bu.edu> wrote in message
> Can anyone point me towards stories with dogs as at least
> important minor characters? I want cool dogs, though, not
> your average, run of the mill dog. It seems like every other
> book out there has a cat in it, often a talking cat, but
> dogs are harder to come by.
>
> I don't care if the dogs talk or not, by the way. If I had
> to choose, I'd probably prefer more realistic portrayals.
> I'm not 100% sure what I'm looking for, actually, so I'm
> trying to keep my request pretty broad.

Don't know about "cool"...

Heinlein:
"Waldo" features a dog raised in zero-G.
"Starship Troopers" gives some details about talking dogs in the service.
"Methuselah's Children" has aliens that are characterized as dog-like.
"A TENDERFOOT IN SPACE" has Nixie going to Venus. Recommended for dog
lovers.*
"We Also Walk Dogs" as the company emblem.

Many books and stories mention dogs or the traits of dogs. (and the search
found a lot of people lying "doggo")

(But, "Door into Summer" is dedicated to some cat lovers. (g)).

*An early bit:

They were taken to the local Justice of the Peace. "You're Charles Vaughn?"

Nixie's boy felt unhappy and said nothing.

"Speak up, son," insisted the old man. "If you aren't, then you must have
stolen that dog." He read from a paper "-accompanied by a small brown
mongrel, male, well trained, responds to the name 'Nixie.' Well?"

Nixie's boy answered faintly, "I'm Charlie Vaughn."

"That's better. You'll stay here until your parents pick you up." The judge
frowned. "I can't understand your running away. Your folks are emigrating to
Venus, aren't they?"

Mike Van Pelt

Jan 29, 2003, 7:56:41 PM1/29/03
In article <b18p4a$cia$2...@news3.bu.edu>,
Peter Meilinger <mell...@bu.edu> wrote:
>I don't care if the dogs talk or not, by the way. If I had
>to choose, I'd probably prefer more realistic portrayals.
>I'm not 100% sure what I'm looking for, actually, so I'm
>trying to keep my request pretty broad.

There are three stories that I can not remember the title of:

First is a story in Analog a while back by George O. Smith about
two "enhanced" (talking) dogs which worked for some sort of
interplanetary secret agent agency.

(Analog's search isn't working at the moment. Besides, I think
the story may be pre-1980, and the last time I used the story
search on www.analogsf.com, it didn't have anything pre-1980.)

Second is a very old story. Bad Guy (mad scientist type)
discovers that the seat of consciousness is the pineal gland, and
swaps pineal glands between a human victim and a collie. I don't
recall why. So the guy in the collie body has to find and
convince someone that he's not all he seems. (Then they have to
extract his body occupied by the extremely bewildered collie from
the asylum, track down the mad scientist...)

Third, a story I disliked bunches, two or three bored slacker
types decided to have themselves nanotechnologically turned into
dogs as a lark. Things go very badly for them. Horrid story.
I do not recommend it.

(Well, at least I remembered the author of one. Maybe someone
can recall the titles of these.)

--
Fear is just your mind's way of telling Mike Van Pelt
you that you are doing something stupid. mvp.at.calweb.com

erilar

Jan 29, 2003, 8:00:04 PM1/29/03
<mell...@bu.edu> wrote:

> Can anyone point me towards stories with dogs as at least
> important minor characters? I want cool dogs, though, not
> your average, run of the mill dog. It seems like every other
> book out there has a cat in it, often a talking cat, but
> dogs are harder to come by.
>

> I don't care if the dogs talk or not, by the way. If I had
> to choose, I'd probably prefer more realistic portrayals.
> I'm not 100% sure what I'm looking for, actually, so I'm
> trying to keep my request pretty broad.
>

> Pete

Well, my immediate first thought is _City_.

--
Mary Loomer Oliver(aka erilar)

Erilar's Cave Annex:
http://www.airstreamcomm.net/~erilarlo

Richard Todd

Jan 29, 2003, 8:12:18 PM1/29/03
Peter Meilinger <mell...@bu.edu> writes:

> Can anyone point me towards stories with dogs as at least
> important minor characters? I want cool dogs, though, not
> your average, run of the mill dog. It seems like every other
> book out there has a cat in it, often a talking cat, but
> dogs are harder to come by.

_Forge of the Elders_ by L. Neil Smith had a character (Eichra Oren) whose
sidekick Sam was a cybernetically-augmented dog with human-equivalent
intelligence (and implanted speech synthesizer, of course).

A couple other books by L. Neil Smith (_The Nagasaki Vector_ and _Taflak
Lysandra_) featured G. Howell Nahuatl, a coyote who'd been uplifted in a
similar fashion.

kesi...@math.ttu.edu

Jan 29, 2003, 8:10:59 PM1/29/03
Lots42 bomb vice president <lot...@aol.comaol.com> wrote:

: More supernatural then anything, check out the book 'Thor'. All from the point

: of view of a smart German Shepard. Not -human- smart, mind you. It's a fun
: book, scary and well-written.[1] The blurb on the back of the edition I got
: doesn't exactly match what goes on in the book but when does it ever?

Do you know the author?

==Jake

GSV Three Minds in a Can

Jan 29, 2003, 8:19:45 PM1/29/03
Bitstring <1fpkale.1kqzxn5uj8zlsN%pl...@newsreaders.com>, from the
wonderful person J.B. Moreno <pl...@newsreaders.com> said

>GSV Three Minds in a Can <GSV@[127.0.0.1]> wrote:
>
>spoilers for a story by Russell ahead
>

>-snip-
>> And the immortal _Allamagoosa_ .. don't forget that. Laugh, I could have
>> wept. 8>.
>
>That's a bit of a spoiler, don't you think?

Nope, or I'd have put a spoiler space. You only think it's a spoiler
because you know the story!

TechDock

Jan 29, 2003, 9:54:51 PM1/29/03
A fairly obscure one nobody has mentioned yet is "Envoy to the Dog Star" by
Frederick L. Shaw Jr. It concerns a genetically enhanced German Shepard who
is Earth's first interstellar explorer. It was published as part of an Ace
Double.

I think my favorite, though, is Towser in Simak's "City," in the story
"Desertion."

TechDock

TechDock Comic Books and Resources
www.techdock.net

Kay Archer

Jan 29, 2003, 10:06:33 PM1/29/03
> "Peter Meilinger" <mell...@bu.edu> wrote in message
> > Can anyone point me towards stories with dogs as at least
> > important minor characters? I want cool dogs, though, not
> > your average, run of the mill dog. It seems like every other
> > book out there has a cat in it, often a talking cat, but
> > dogs are harder to come by.
> >
> > I don't care if the dogs talk or not, by the way. If I had
> > to choose, I'd probably prefer more realistic portrayals.
> > I'm not 100% sure what I'm looking for, actually, so I'm
> > trying to keep my request pretty broad.

Replying to my own post because the original post is unavailable.

Spider Robinson's series about Callahan and the denizens of his bar:

Ralph Von Wau Wau [sic] is a talking German Shepherd. There is an
introductory short story about Ralph and he continues as a regular character
in the series.

A sample from "Callahan's Secret":

"Long story. Excuse me, will you? It's time to get the evening started."
He emptied a glass that Shorty Steinitz had foolishly left unattended and
banged it on the bartop. "All right, folks- Tall Tales Night is now in
session. Who's first?'
Ralph Von Wau Wau was pushed forward by the crowd. "I do have a mildly
interesting story for you all," he said, and I glanced at Mary to see how
she would take it. I mean, I suppose it's a subjective thing, but I find a
talking dog to be more intrinsically startling than a seven-foot flying
cyborg. But she didn't blink. Well, I had warned her.
In that charming German accent of his (he is a Shepherd), Ralph told a
fairly complex story about a demonically possessed lady of his acquaintance
whom he had exorcised after even a bishop had failed; the yarn built
inexorably, to the line, "Possession is nine points of the paw," and
produced some very canine howls of agony from the innocent bystanders.

A.C.

Jan 29, 2003, 10:05:24 PM1/29/03

"Peter Meilinger" <mell...@bu.edu> wrote in message
> Can anyone point me towards stories with dogs as at least
> important minor characters? I want cool dogs, though, not
> your average, run of the mill dog. It seems like every other
> book out there has a cat in it, often a talking cat, but
> dogs are harder to come by.
>
> I don't care if the dogs talk or not, by the way. If I had
> to choose, I'd probably prefer more realistic portrayals.
> I'm not 100% sure what I'm looking for, actually, so I'm
> trying to keep my request pretty broad.

Well, don't know if you'd consider him a dog at that stage, but one of the
more powerful characters in Fred Saberhagen's Swords books is one.

Sheila Strickland

Jan 29, 2003, 10:42:38 PM1/29/03

Peter Meilinger <mell...@bu.edu> wrote in article
<b18p4a$cia$2...@news3.bu.edu>...

> Can anyone point me towards stories with dogs as at least
> important minor characters? I want cool dogs, though, not
> your average, run of the mill dog. It seems like every other
> book out there has a cat in it, often a talking cat, but
> dogs are harder to come by.

snipage

There's also Nails, the bull terrier from Jonathan Carroll's
"The Land of Laughs". He starts out minor and becomes more
important. And to say more would be a spoiler.

--
Sheila

John M. Gamble

Jan 30, 2003, 2:36:03 AM1/30/03
In article <AATZ9.95$_H4.1...@monger.newsread.com>,

Nancy Lebovitz <na...@unix1.netaxs.com> wrote:
>In article <b18p4a$cia$2...@news3.bu.edu>,
>Peter Meilinger <mell...@bu.edu> wrote:
>>Can anyone point me towards stories with dogs as at least
>>important minor characters? I want cool dogs, though, not
>>your average, run of the mill dog. It seems like every other
>>book out there has a cat in it, often a talking cat, but
>>dogs are harder to come by.
>>
>>I don't care if the dogs talk or not, by the way. If I had
>>to choose, I'd probably prefer more realistic portrayals.
>>I'm not 100% sure what I'm looking for, actually, so I'm
>>trying to keep my request pretty broad.
>
>There's a cool (modified/talking) dog in Sterling's _Holy Fire_.

And there's one in "He Who Shapes" by Roger Zelazny.

--
-john

February 28 1997: Last day libraries could order catalogue cards
from the Library of Congress.

John M. Gamble

Jan 30, 2003, 2:40:14 AM1/30/03
In article <3e387849$0$233$d36...@news.newshosting.com>,

Mike Van Pelt <m...@web1.calweb.com> wrote:
>In article <b18p4a$cia$2...@news3.bu.edu>,
>Peter Meilinger <mell...@bu.edu> wrote:
>>I don't care if the dogs talk or not, by the way. If I had
>>to choose, I'd probably prefer more realistic portrayals.
>>I'm not 100% sure what I'm looking for, actually, so I'm
>>trying to keep my request pretty broad.
>
>There are three stories that I can not remember the title of:
>
>First is a story in Analog a while back by George O. Smith about
>two "enhanced" (talking) dogs which worked for some sort of
>interplanetary secret agent agency.

Oh yeah, i remember that. Although it might have been published
back in the Astounding days, before the name change to Analog.

John M. Gamble

Jan 30, 2003, 2:42:57 AM1/30/03
In article <UD0_9.774$KG1.5...@twister.nyc.rr.com>,

I gave up on the Swords books after the second one, but from your
description it might be the same character that appears in The Black
Mountains (the second book of his Changeling Earth trilogy).

Lord Valve

Jan 30, 2003, 2:58:27 AM1/30/03

Kay Archer wrote:

Yeah, yeah, Von Wau Wau et al...but Callahan's just doesn't
do it for me any more since it got nuked and turned into the
Cross-dress Saloon.

I haven't seen anyone mention Peaslake, the offog.
(Can I get any more obscure than this? ;-)

Lord Valve
American

Mike Van Pelt

Jan 30, 2003, 4:14:04 AM1/30/03
In article <b1aksu$c7s$1...@e250.ripco.com>,

John M. Gamble <jga...@ripco.com> wrote:
>In article <3e387849$0$233$d36...@news.newshosting.com>,
>Mike Van Pelt <m...@web1.calweb.com> wrote:
>>First is a story in Analog a while back by George O. Smith about
>>two "enhanced" (talking) dogs which worked for some sort of
>>interplanetary secret agent agency.
>
>Oh yeah, i remember that. Although it might have been published
>back in the Astounding days, before the name change to Analog.

Nope... Analog, May, 1980. "Scholar's Cluster", by George O.
Smith. I had to search my copies to find it... The
analogsf.com web site's search engine is in some "You are not
allowed to do this" state, and none of the web searches I
did on "George O. Smith bibliography" turned it up.

Fortunately it was the cover story, and I remembered what
the cover looked like.

Knowing the name of the story, I found two mentions on
web pages, one on the Locus page, and one on a French page.

Brendan Hogg

Jan 30, 2003, 6:08:52 AM1/30/03
Apologies for piggybacking, original post hasn't shown up on my spotty
server.

On Wed, 29 Jan 2003, Kay Archer wrote:

> > "Peter Meilinger" <mell...@bu.edu> wrote in message
> > > Can anyone point me towards stories with dogs as at least
> > > important minor characters? I want cool dogs, though, not
> > > your average, run of the mill dog. It seems like every other
> > > book out there has a cat in it, often a talking cat, but
> > > dogs are harder to come by.
> > >
> > > I don't care if the dogs talk or not, by the way. If I had
> > > to choose, I'd probably prefer more realistic portrayals.
> > > I'm not 100% sure what I'm looking for, actually, so I'm
> > > trying to keep my request pretty broad.

Well, I'm surprised no one's mentioned the Tines in Vinge's _A Fire Upon
the Deep_ yet (have some doglike qualities, are of about doglike
intelligence by themselves but make more intelligent entities by ganging
together).

Then there's Fenton in Hamilton's _Reality Dysfunction_, who is a dog who
has been telepathically linked to his master. As characters come, he's
fairly minor (but then Hamilton is one of those casts-of-thousands
authors), but he does have the distinction of getting to close the book.

And there's a short short called "Crew Dog" by Mary Soon Lee in Spectrum
SF #7, which is very good. I'd highly recommend it if you're
interested in dog SF; the story is actually told by an enhanced dog, and
iirc there's only one human character. (I'm not particularly fond of
dogs, and I thought this was one of the best stories I read last year.) I
was about to say it's probably really hard to find, but turns out it's
available from fictionwise:

http://www.fictionwise.com/mindwise/authors/8.htm

Oh, and of course, there are various dog characters amongst Cordwainer
Smith's underpeople (human-forms derived from animal DNA, so I don't know
whether that's straying too far from being a dog for you). The most
notable is D'Joan ("The Dead Lady of Clown Town"), but they're all over
the later Instrumentality stories.

HTH. HAND.

how...@brazee.net

Jan 30, 2003, 8:02:23 AM1/30/03
<e>Canyons</e> by Cacek is about werewolves and weremen in Denver. One
alpha male is modeled after Ed Bryant.

Lois Tilton

Jan 30, 2003, 9:44:10 AM1/30/03
On Thu, 30 Jan 2003 13:02:23 GMT, how...@brazee.net wrote:

><e>Canyons</e> by Cacek is about werewolves and weremen in Denver. One
>alpha male is modeled after Ed Bryant.

=Wilding= by Melanie Tem is a kick-ass werewolf novel.

--
LT

Konrad Gaertner

Jan 30, 2003, 10:11:22 AM1/30/03
how...@brazee.net wrote:

> <e>Canyons</e> by Cacek is about werewolves and weremen in Denver. One
> alpha male is modeled after Ed Bryant.

Robin Hobb, _Royal Assassin_, _Assassin's Quest_, _Fool's Errand_
at least some of Roberson's Cheysuli series
The Phantom comic strip

Canine-type thingies:
Lackey's kyrie, _Oathbound_, _Oathbreakers_, _Oathblood_

--KG

Randy Money

Jan 30, 2003, 10:12:06 AM1/30/03
Peter Meilinger wrote:
> Can anyone point me towards stories with dogs as at least
> important minor characters? I want cool dogs, though, not
> your average, run of the mill dog. It seems like every other
> book out there has a cat in it, often a talking cat, but
> dogs are harder to come by.
>
> I don't care if the dogs talk or not, by the way. If I had
> to choose, I'd probably prefer more realistic portrayals.
> I'm not 100% sure what I'm looking for, actually, so I'm
> trying to keep my request pretty broad.
>
> Pete

_Lives of the Monster Dogs_ by Kirsten Bakis, which seems to have been
marketed as mainstream. I haven't read it, but from what I've seen/heard
it's a variation on _The Island of Dr. Moreau_.

Not sure if John Crowley's _Beasts_ has dogs or not.

Randy M.

Stewart Robert Hinsley

Jan 30, 2003, 1:23:42 PM1/30/03
In article <3E38DB23...@ix.netcom.com>, Lord Valve
<detr...@ix.netcom.com> writes

>I haven't seen anyone mention Peaslake, the offog.
>(Can I get any more obscure than this? ;-)

I'd didn't think Abercrombie, from "Magic Kingdom For Sale, Sold" and
sequels was obscure, even if the author (who's name I'm blanking on) is
generally disproved of here, but no one's mentioned him yet.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Nyrath the nearly wise

Jan 30, 2003, 2:23:00 PM1/30/03
I vaguely remember another one, but I'm blanking on the title.
It was a short story in Analog, I believe.

It was about a dog genetically engineered to be intelligent
by the Army to be a military asset. The dog had long fingers,
while running it would fold them and run on its knuckles.

The story details a test, where it participates in a war
game, infiltrating the enemy and knocking out a pillbox.
The dog had a simulated laser on its head, with a bite-trigger
in its mouth. And an electric cattle prod to simulate a knife.

The dog is very aware that it must perform well, but not
*too* well. Either way the experiment will be terminated
and the race of intelligent dogs will die aborning.

Vlatko Juric-Kokic

Jan 30, 2003, 3:02:12 PM1/30/03
On Thu, 30 Jan 2003 15:11:22 GMT, Konrad Gaertner
<kgae...@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

>how...@brazee.net wrote:
>>
>> <e>Canyons</e> by Cacek is about werewolves and weremen in Denver. One
>> alpha male is modeled after Ed Bryant.
>
>Robin Hobb, _Royal Assassin_, _Assassin's Quest_, _Fool's Errand_

You mean _Assassin's Apprentice_, RA and AQ, right?

>at least some of Roberson's Cheysuli series
>The Phantom comic strip

_Nadia_ by Pat Murphy.

The first part of _Night Calls_ (published as "Night Calls") by
Katharine Eliska Kimbriel.

There's the story _________ by Harry Turtledove. Published in the
collection _____________.

And the series _____________ by Brian Stableford.

Martin's _Song of Ice and Fire_ has some elements of were-, just like
Mark Sumner's _Devil's Tower_.

vlatko
--
_Neither Fish Nor Fowl_
http://www.webart.hr/nrnm/eng/

Randy Money

Jan 30, 2003, 3:27:03 PM1/30/03
Vlatko Juric-Kokic wrote:
> On Thu, 30 Jan 2003 15:11:22 GMT, Konrad Gaertner
> <kgae...@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
>

>>how...@brazee.net wrote:
>>
>>><e>Canyons</e> by Cacek is about werewolves and weremen in Denver. One
>>>alpha male is modeled after Ed Bryant.
>>
>>Robin Hobb, _Royal Assassin_, _Assassin's Quest_, _Fool's Errand_
>

> You mean _Assassin's Apprentice_, RA and AQ, right?
>

>>at least some of Roberson's Cheysuli series
>>The Phantom comic strip
>

> _Nadia_ by Pat Murphy.
>
> The first part of _Night Calls_ (published as "Night Calls") by
> Katharine Eliska Kimbriel.
>
> There's the story _________ by Harry Turtledove. Published in the
> collection _____________.
>
> And the series _____________ by Brian Stableford.
>
> Martin's _Song of Ice and Fire_ has some elements of were-, just like
> Mark Sumner's _Devil's Tower_.
>
> vlatko

FYI: the Syracuse University Press recently published, _The Literary
Werewolf_ edited by Charlotte F. Otten.

I haven't read enough to really rate it, but I'm disappointed that Otten
didn't offer a bibliography of other novels/stories, I don't understand
why Suzy McKee Charnas' "Boobs" wasn't included in the appropriate
section of the anthology, and I have yet to see mention in Otten's notes
of Guy Endore's _Werewolf of Paris_, which I'd think was essential.

On the other hand, the anthology includes Clemence Housman's "The
Were-wolf" and that's a good thing, as is Manly Banister's "Eena".

Randy M.

Joseph Michael Bay

Jan 30, 2003, 3:22:49 PM1/30/03
Nyrath the nearly wise <nyr...@projectrho.com.invalid> writes:

>The dog had a simulated laser on its head,

Was it an ill-tempered dog?

--
Joseph M. Bay Lamont Sanford Junior University
www.stanford.edu/~jmbay/ DO NOT PRESS

A.C.

Jan 30, 2003, 5:52:39 PM1/30/03
jga...@ripco.com (John M. Gamble) wrote in message news:<b1al21$ccg$1...@e250.ripco.com>...

Yep, that's him.

Konrad Gaertner

Jan 30, 2003, 6:14:50 PM1/30/03
Vlatko Juric-Kokic wrote:

> On Thu, 30 Jan 2003 15:11:22 GMT, Konrad Gaertner
> <kgae...@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
>
> >how...@brazee.net wrote:
> >>
> >> <e>Canyons</e> by Cacek is about werewolves and weremen in Denver. One
> >> alpha male is modeled after Ed Bryant.
> >
> >Robin Hobb, _Royal Assassin_, _Assassin's Quest_, _Fool's Errand_
>
> You mean _Assassin's Apprentice_, RA and AQ, right?

Nope. I already mentioned AA back when the subject was about dogs.
And, as I'm about to finish AA, I can tell you there's no wolves in
it.

--KG

SkyeFire

Jan 30, 2003, 6:57:32 PM1/30/03
writes:

>I don't care if the dogs talk or not, by the way. If I had
>to choose, I'd probably prefer more realistic portrayals.
>I'm not 100% sure what I'm looking for, actually, so I'm
>trying to keep my request pretty broad.

In the third of the "Dahak" books, Weber has a group of Uplifted
Rottweillers who have been given combat-grade cybernetic enhancements -- and
end up being a Damned Good Thing by the end of the book. The scenes with the
dogs and the Marines (who didn't know the dogs were sentient, and could talk)
were downright fun.

Jordan179

Jan 30, 2003, 10:30:26 PM1/30/03
Peter Meilinger <mell...@bu.edu> wrote in message news:<b18p4a$cia$2...@news3.bu.edu>...
> Can anyone point me towards stories with dogs as at least
> important minor characters? I want cool dogs, though, not
> your average, run of the mill dog. It seems like every other
> book out there has a cat in it, often a talking cat, but
> dogs are harder to come by.
>
> I don't care if the dogs talk or not, by the way. If I had
> to choose, I'd probably prefer more realistic portrayals.
> I'm not 100% sure what I'm looking for, actually, so I'm
> trying to keep my request pretty broad.

_Watchers_, by Dean Koontz, has as one of its most important
characters a genetically engineered sapient golden retriever named
Einstein. His voicebox isn't equipped for speech, but the protagonists
figure ways around this.

_Sirius_, by Olaf Stapledon, centers around the life of a biologically
augmented (breeding? genetic engineering?) sapient sheepdog named
Sirius. He can talk, but roughly.

_Freefall_, an online comic strip (available from www.purrsia.com) has
as one of its three main characters a genetically engineered sapient
humanoid wolf-woman named Florence. She can talk, quite eloquently :)

Sincerely Yours,
Jordan

Robert A. Woodward

Jan 31, 2003, 1:44:56 AM1/31/03
In article <3e38ecdc$0$182$d36...@news.newshosting.com>,

m...@web1.calweb.com (Mike Van Pelt) wrote:

> In article <b1aksu$c7s$1...@e250.ripco.com>,
> John M. Gamble <jga...@ripco.com> wrote:
> >In article <3e387849$0$233$d36...@news.newshosting.com>,
> >Mike Van Pelt <m...@web1.calweb.com> wrote:
> >>First is a story in Analog a while back by George O. Smith about
> >>two "enhanced" (talking) dogs which worked for some sort of
> >>interplanetary secret agent agency.
> >
> >Oh yeah, i remember that. Although it might have been published
> >back in the Astounding days, before the name change to Analog.
>
> Nope... Analog, May, 1980. "Scholar's Cluster", by George O.
> Smith. I had to search my copies to find it... The
> analogsf.com web site's search engine is in some "You are not
> allowed to do this" state, and none of the web searches I
> did on "George O. Smith bibliography" turned it up.

It's a sequel of sorts (Smith didn't pay enough attention to continuity
for my tastes) of "History Repeats" in the May 1959 issue of Astounding.

--
Robert Woodward <robe...@drizzle.com>
<http://www.drizzle.com/~robertaw

Lee Ann Rucker

Jan 31, 2003, 2:08:35 AM1/31/03
<mell...@bu.edu> wrote:

> Can anyone point me towards stories with dogs as at least
> important minor characters? I want cool dogs, though, not
> your average, run of the mill dog. It seems like every other
> book out there has a cat in it, often a talking cat, but
> dogs are harder to come by.

Heinlein's _Friday_ has a small scene with a genetically-enhanced dog.
It could talk, with a limited vocabulary.

Mike Van Pelt

Jan 31, 2003, 2:36:30 AM1/31/03
In article <robertaw-61667C...@news.fu-berlin.de>,

Robert A. Woodward <robe...@drizzle.com> wrote:
>In article <3e38ecdc$0$182$d36...@news.newshosting.com>,
> m...@web1.calweb.com (Mike Van Pelt) wrote:
>> Analog, May, 1980. "Scholar's Cluster", by George O. Smith.
>
>It's a sequel of sorts (Smith didn't pay enough attention to continuity
>for my tastes) of "History Repeats" in the May 1959 issue of Astounding.

Ah.... I've never read that one. My collection of Analog only
goes back to 1965 or so, just after it went back to digest-size.

I thought there must be other stories; "Scholar's Cluster" seemed
to assume the reader had prior knowledge of the setting and
characters. (As I recall... I haven't read it since 1980.)

Alan Kellogg

Jan 31, 2003, 2:57:11 AM1/31/03
In article <zn9_9.4670$Wu1.3...@newsread1.prod.itd.earthlink.net>,
how...@brazee.net wrote:

> <e>Canyons</e> by Cacek is about werewolves and weremen in Denver. One
> alpha male is modeled after Ed Bryant

Weremen?

"Even one who is pure of heart,
And says his prayers by night,
May become a man when the manbane blooms,
And the moon is full and bright."

Don't quite have the same cachet as the original.

Alan

--
http://www.mythusmage.com
Writing Practice at: http://www.gamingoutpost.com

Vlatko Juric-Kokic

Jan 31, 2003, 3:33:36 AM1/31/03
On Thu, 30 Jan 2003 23:14:50 GMT, Konrad Gaertner
<kgae...@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

>Vlatko Juric-Kokic wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, 30 Jan 2003 15:11:22 GMT, Konrad Gaertner
>> <kgae...@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

>> >Robin Hobb, _Royal Assassin_, _Assassin's Quest_, _Fool's Errand_

Spoilers for Assassin series

>> You mean _Assassin's Apprentice_, RA and AQ, right?
>
>Nope. I already mentioned AA back when the subject was about dogs.
>And, as I'm about to finish AA, I can tell you there's no wolves in
>it.

Seems to me that it's all about the same. In _Apprentice_ Fitz bonds
to a dog and later to a wolf. Same thing, different animals. And there
are weasels, bears and whatnot later on.

BTW, not really "were-", is it? More like Granny Weatherwax's
'borrowing'. Where can we draw a line?

Vlatko Juric-Kokic

Jan 31, 2003, 3:33:37 AM1/31/03
On Thu, 30 Jan 2003 15:27:03 -0500, Randy Money
<rbm...@spamblocklibrary.syr.edu> wrote:

>FYI: the Syracuse University Press recently published, _The Literary
>Werewolf_ edited by Charlotte F. Otten.

You've just reminded me:

there's a collection titled _The Ultimate Werewolf_, with ... three?
novellas in it. The collection is a part of "Ultimate" series, and you
have _The U. Vampire_, _The U. Dragon_ and, I think, _The Ultimate
Monster_.

dave

Jan 31, 2003, 3:37:32 AM1/31/03
Jordan179 <JSBass...@yahoo.com> wrote:
snip
> _Freefall_, an online comic strip (available from www.purrsia.com) has
> as one of its three main characters a genetically engineered sapient
> humanoid wolf-woman named Florence. She can talk, quite eloquently :)
>
> Sincerely Yours,
> Jordan
Curse you Jordon.
I am now addicted.
Curses be upon you
dave

--
remove spam for e-mail

Tom Scudder

Jan 31, 2003, 6:57:34 AM1/31/03
Peter Meilinger <mell...@bu.edu> wrote in message news:<b18p4a$cia$2...@news3.bu.edu>...
> Can anyone point me towards stories with dogs as at least
> important minor characters? I want cool dogs, though, not
> your average, run of the mill dog. It seems like every other
> book out there has a cat in it, often a talking cat, but
> dogs are harder to come by.
>
> I don't care if the dogs talk or not, by the way. If I had
> to choose, I'd probably prefer more realistic portrayals.
> I'm not 100% sure what I'm looking for, actually, so I'm
> trying to keep my request pretty broad.
>
> Pete

Trying to avoid duplication:

One Zelazny book that hasn't been mentioned yet is THIS IMMORTAL,
which has a BIG dog in it.

Tony Daniel's novella "Grist" has an AI thingy that is based on a dog
template (I think). - This was subsequently expanded into
METAPLANETARY, I think, aka "That book where all the planets in the
solar system have been tied together with giant pieces of string and
no I'm not kidding."

OWK

Jan 31, 2003, 7:22:44 AM1/31/03
how...@brazee.net wrote in message news:<zn9_9.4670$Wu1.3...@newsread1.prod.itd.earthlink.net>...

> <e>Canyons</e> by Cacek is about werewolves and weremen in Denver. One
> alpha male is modeled after Ed Bryant.

Anthony Boucher's _The_Compleat_Werewolf_

- Kurt

Stuart Houghton

Jan 31, 2003, 7:31:45 AM1/31/03
Peter Meilinger <mell...@bu.edu> wrote in news:b18p4a$cia$2...@news3.bu.edu:

> Can anyone point me towards stories with dogs as at least
> important minor characters? I want cool dogs, though, not
> your average, run of the mill dog. It seems like every other
> book out there has a cat in it, often a talking cat, but
> dogs are harder to come by.

I can't believe nobody has mentioned Blood from _A Boy And His Dog_ by
Harlan Ellison.

--
Stuart Houghton

how...@brazee.net

Jan 31, 2003, 8:11:38 AM1/31/03

On 31-Jan-2003, Stuart Houghton <stu_ajh-utter...@hotmail.com>
wrote:

> I can't believe nobody has mentioned Blood from _A Boy And His Dog_ by
> Harlan Ellison.

Then don't.

(I saw it mentioned at least twice).

GSV Three Minds in a Can

Jan 31, 2003, 8:39:45 AM1/31/03
Bitstring <Xns93147F67D5F8E...@130.133.1.4>, from the
wonderful person Stuart Houghton
<stu_ajh-utter...@hotmail.com> said
<snip>

>I can't believe nobody has mentioned Blood from _A Boy And His Dog_ by
>Harlan Ellison.

Good, because someone has mentioned it, well up thread from here.

--
GSV Three Minds in a Can

Richard Horton

Jan 31, 2003, 8:58:45 AM1/31/03
On 31 Jan 2003 03:57:34 -0800, tom...@spidernet.com.cy (Tom Scudder)
wrote:

>Tony Daniel's novella "Grist" has an AI thingy that is based on a dog
>template (I think).

I think it's a ferret, actually.

>- This was subsequently expanded into
>METAPLANETARY, I think, aka "That book where all the planets in the
>solar system have been tied together with giant pieces of string and
>no I'm not kidding."

I know the idea is loopy but I really liked the book. Only problem is
it's unfinished, it just stops -- the sequel will be called
_Superluminal_, due sometime soon I imagine.

--
Rich Horton | Stable Email: mailto://richard...@sff.net
Home Page: http://www.sff.net/people/richard.horton

Urban Fredriksson

Jan 31, 2003, 9:27:00 AM1/31/03
In article <piv_9.10$BF...@newssvr19.news.prodigy.com>,

Richard Horton <rrho...@prodigy.net> wrote:
>On 31 Jan 2003 03:57:34 -0800, tom...@spidernet.com.cy (Tom Scudder)
>wrote:

>>Tony Daniel's novella "Grist" has an AI thingy that is based on a dog
>>template (I think).

>I think it's a ferret, actually.

Are you sure enough that you think I should add it to the
list "Ferrets in fantasy and science fiction" here:
<http://www.canit.se/%7Egriffon/ferrets/text.e/ferrets_in_fsf.html>
--
Urban Fredriksson http://www.canit.se/%7Egriffon/
A king and an elephant were sitting in a bathtub. The king said, "pass

Lois Tilton

Jan 31, 2003, 9:55:31 AM1/31/03
On Fri, 31 Jan 2003 09:33:37 +0100, Vlatko Juric-Kokic
<vlatko.ju...@zg.hinet.hr> wrote:

>there's a collection titled _The Ultimate Werewolf_, with ... three?
>novellas in it. The collection is a part of "Ultimate" series, and you
>have _The U. Vampire_, _The U. Dragon_ and, I think, _The Ultimate
>Monster_.

There were others, like -The Ultimate Witch-

--
LT

Stuart Houghton

Jan 31, 2003, 9:55:56 AM1/31/03
GSV Three Minds in a Can <GSV@[127.0.0.1]> wrote in

<sheepish>
yeah - I just spotted that after I posted.

To be fair, they posted as resoponses to other peoples responses.

</sheepish>

--
Stuart Houghton

Timothy McDaniel

Jan 31, 2003, 12:39:24 PM1/31/03
In article <Xns931497D9FBECB...@130.133.1.4>,
Stuart Houghton <stu_ajh-utter...@hotmail.com> wrote:
><sheepish>

Wrong thread, unless it's a sheepdog.

--
Tim McDaniel, tm...@panix.com; tm...@us.ibm.com is my work address

Timothy McDaniel

Jan 31, 2003, 12:40:15 PM1/31/03
In article <lmal3vgbgngft2eph...@4ax.com>,
Jon Meltzer <jmel...@pobox.com> wrote:
>Miles Vorkosigan needs a dog. Large golden retriever ...

I'll bet 20 Barryaran marks he'd name it "Ivan" but it'd answer to
"Idiot".

David Tate

Jan 31, 2003, 12:51:11 PM1/31/03
how...@brazee.net wrote in message news:<zn9_9.4670$Wu1.3...@newsread1.prod.itd.earthlink.net>...
> <e>Canyons</e> by Cacek is about werewolves and weremen in Denver. One
> alpha male is modeled after Ed Bryant.

Wolves, or werewolves? Those two have very different flavors, to me
-- rather like bats vs. vampires.

So, for actual wolf wolves...

_The Jungle Book_, Kipling
_Wolfhead_, Charles Harness (1978)
One of the Le Guin stories from _Buffalo Gals_... was it "The Wife's
Story"?

Otherwise, I'm drawing a blank.

David Tate

David Bilek

Jan 31, 2003, 2:03:41 PM1/31/03
Lee DeRaud <lee.d...@boeing.com> wrote:

>On Fri, 31 Jan 2003 17:40:15 +0000 (UTC), tm...@panix.com (Timothy
>McDaniel) wrote:
>
>>In article <lmal3vgbgngft2eph...@4ax.com>,
>>Jon Meltzer <jmel...@pobox.com> wrote:
>>>Miles Vorkosigan needs a dog. Large golden retriever ...
>>
>>I'll bet 20 Barryaran marks he'd name it "Ivan" but it'd answer to
>>"Idiot".
>
>*All* golden retrievers answer to "Idiot": it's the factory default.

I used to think this, but it turns out that Golden Retrievers are one
of the smartest breeds of dogs. They just seem so goofy that it is
hard to believe.

-David

Konrad Gaertner

Jan 31, 2003, 3:33:50 PM1/31/03
Vlatko Juric-Kokic wrote:

> On Thu, 30 Jan 2003 23:14:50 GMT, Konrad Gaertner
> <kgae...@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
>
> >Vlatko Juric-Kokic wrote:

> Spoilers for Assassin series

> >> You mean _Assassin's Apprentice_, RA and AQ, right?
> >
> >Nope. I already mentioned AA back when the subject was about dogs.
> >And, as I'm about to finish AA, I can tell you there's no wolves in
> >it.
>
> Seems to me that it's all about the same. In _Apprentice_ Fitz bonds
> to a dog and later to a wolf.

No, in Apprentice we only see Nosy and Smithy, both dogs. I'm
currently 4 chapters into Royal and we still haven't met Nighteyes
yet.

If you really wanted to quibble, you could argue a Nighteyes
reference in the epilogue of Apprentice where he gets (literally)
the last word, but since the word is quoted rather than
italicised, this is somewhat questionable.

> Same thing, different animals. And there are weasels, bears and
> whatnot later on.

No one seems to be interested in those right now. And they don't
appear in Royal, play only very minor roles in Quest, and it's not
until Fennel and the hunting cats in Errand and Golden that they
get any lines.

I really really want to see someone bond Fennel, but there may not
be enough time to do so in the next book.

> BTW, not really "were-", is it? More like Granny Weatherwax's
> 'borrowing'. Where can we draw a line?

I'm ignoring the were- parts of the discussion.

--KG

Andrew Plotkin

Jan 31, 2003, 3:49:09 PM1/31/03

So what you're saying is, Miles would name the dog "Ivan" and it'd
answer to "Idiot". And thirty years later, Ivan would say "Remember
your old dog? Did you...?" and Miles would say "Yes."

--Z

*

Leif Magnar Kj|nn|y

Jan 31, 2003, 5:12:09 PM1/31/03
In article <i7il3v4ufnoanabmh...@4ax.com>,

There's a reason why they're commonly used as guide dogs for blind people
and so on.

>They just seem so goofy that it is
>hard to believe.

I grew up around them and have known quite a few. Seems the breed comes
in two main varieties: "Pretty smart for a dog" and "lovable retard".
The latter probably due to irresponsible breeding. (Oh, and a third
unfortunate "nervous wreck" variety).

All of them will cheerfully answer to "Idiot" or whatever else you want
to call them, though.

--
Leif Kj{\o}nn{\o}y | "Its habit of getting up late you'll agree
www.pvv.org/~leifmk| That it carries too far, when I say
Math geek and gamer| That it frequently breakfasts at five-o'clock tea,
GURPS, Harn, CORPS | And dines on the following day." (Carroll)

Richard Horton

Jan 31, 2003, 7:00:11 PM1/31/03
On 31 Jan 2003 15:27:00 +0100, gri...@canit.se (Urban Fredriksson)
wrote:

>In article <piv_9.10$BF...@newssvr19.news.prodigy.com>,
>Richard Horton <rrho...@prodigy.net> wrote:
>>On 31 Jan 2003 03:57:34 -0800, tom...@spidernet.com.cy (Tom Scudder)
>>wrote:
>
>>>Tony Daniel's novella "Grist" has an AI thingy that is based on a dog
>>>template (I think).
>
>>I think it's a ferret, actually.
>
>Are you sure enough that you think I should add it to the
>list "Ferrets in fantasy and science fiction" here:
><http://www.canit.se/%7Egriffon/ferrets/text.e/ferrets_in_fsf.html>

Yes. It's a ferret-brain (but smarter!) in a woman-like body, mind
you, not an actual ferret.

Chris Camfield

Jan 31, 2003, 8:20:55 PM1/31/03

The fellow who wrote Duncton Wood wrote a duology with wolf protagonists, IIRC.

Also I think one of the characters in the Wheel of Time series had some sort of
affinity with wolves. Of course, I stopped after book 3, so I have no idea how
or if Jordan really developed that properly.

Chris

Dorothy J Heydt

Jan 31, 2003, 9:13:30 PM1/31/03
I haven't been following this thread, so someone may already have
mentioned the three Pekinese in Hambly's _Bride of the Rat God._
OK, so it's fantasy not SF. It's fun.

Dorothy J. Heydt
Albany, California
djh...@kithrup.com
http://www.kithrup.com/~djheydt

Scott Robinson

Feb 1, 2003, 1:00:18 AM2/1/03
<vlatko.ju...@zg.hinet.hr> wrote:

>On Thu, 30 Jan 2003 15:27:03 -0500, Randy Money
><rbm...@spamblocklibrary.syr.edu> wrote:
>
>>FYI: the Syracuse University Press recently published, _The Literary
>>Werewolf_ edited by Charlotte F. Otten.
>
>You've just reminded me:
>
>there's a collection titled _The Ultimate Werewolf_, with ... three?
>novellas in it. The collection is a part of "Ultimate" series, and you
>have _The U. Vampire_, _The U. Dragon_ and, I think, _The Ultimate
>Monster_.
>
>vlatko

Shouldn't _The Postman_, by David Brin be in here? I also vaguely
recall an author's note saying that this was his second "wolf" novel
and that this time he had a "wolf consultant" and tried to get the
wolf right. I have no idea what the first book was.

Scott

Robert A. Woodward

Feb 1, 2003, 2:00:04 AM2/1/03
In article <3e3a277e$0$144$d36...@news.newshosting.com>,

m...@web1.calweb.com (Mike Van Pelt) wrote:

> In article <robertaw-61667C...@news.fu-berlin.de>,
> Robert A. Woodward <robe...@drizzle.com> wrote:
> >In article <3e38ecdc$0$182$d36...@news.newshosting.com>,
> > m...@web1.calweb.com (Mike Van Pelt) wrote:
> >> Analog, May, 1980. "Scholar's Cluster", by George O. Smith.
> >
> >It's a sequel of sorts (Smith didn't pay enough attention to continuity
> >for my tastes) of "History Repeats" in the May 1959 issue of Astounding.
>
> Ah.... I've never read that one. My collection of Analog only
> goes back to 1965 or so, just after it went back to digest-size.
>
> I thought there must be other stories; "Scholar's Cluster" seemed
> to assume the reader had prior knowledge of the setting and
> characters. (As I recall... I haven't read it since 1980.)

The problem I had was that a lot of that setting wasn't in the earlier
story and, in fact, was inconsistent with the setting in that story.

--
Robert Woodward <robe...@drizzle.com>
<http://www.drizzle.com/~robertaw

Greg Benson

Feb 1, 2003, 2:41:05 AM2/1/03
Peter Meilinger <mell...@bu.edu> wrote in message news:<b18p4a$cia$2...@news3.bu.edu>...

> Can anyone point me towards stories with dogs as at least
> important minor characters? I want cool dogs, though, not
> your average, run of the mill dog. It seems like every other
> book out there has a cat in it, often a talking cat, but
> dogs are harder to come by.
>
> I don't care if the dogs talk or not, by the way. If I had
> to choose, I'd probably prefer more realistic portrayals.
> I'm not 100% sure what I'm looking for, actually, so I'm
> trying to keep my request pretty broad.
>
> Pete

For a walking talking steam-punk dog:

Michael Swanwick's "The Dog Said Bow-Wow"

Which can be found in Dozois' 19th yearly collection.

David Eppstein

Feb 1, 2003, 3:12:45 AM2/1/03
> > Can anyone point me towards stories with dogs as at least
> > important minor characters? I want cool dogs, though, not
> > your average, run of the mill dog.

D.W.Jones _Dogsbody_.

It's a song lyric, not a story, but the dog in
http://www.bitmine.net/~fegmaniax/lyrics/song.cgi?wwhuh
is kinda sfnal...

Dean's "Owlswater" has a talking dog.

There's also the title characters in Swanwick's "Microcosmic Dog" and
"Moon Dogs".

--
David Eppstein UC Irvine Dept. of Information & Computer Science
epps...@ics.uci.edu http://www.ics.uci.edu/~eppstein/

Vlatko Juric-Kokic

Feb 1, 2003, 7:21:58 AM2/1/03
On Sat, 01 Feb 2003 06:00:18 GMT, Scott Robinson
<dsc...@bellatlantic.net> wrote:

>Shouldn't _The Postman_, by David Brin be in here? I also vaguely
>recall an author's note saying that this was his second "wolf" novel
>and that this time he had a "wolf consultant" and tried to get the
>wolf right. I have no idea what the first book was.

Hmmm. I distinctly *don't* remember any wolves in there.

Possibly you're thinking about _Wolf and Iron_ by Dickson. Very
similar atmosphere in parts, although W&I reads more like a post-
apocalyptic Jeremiah Johnson. And much, much more wolves, with Dickson
doing apparently quite a good research on wolves.

David Allsopp

Feb 1, 2003, 9:54:31 AM2/1/03
In article <9d67e55e.03013...@posting.google.com>, David Tate
<dt...@ida.org> writes

>So, for actual wolf wolves...
>
>_The Jungle Book_, Kipling

And, following on directly from that, the Hoka story "Full Pack" by Gordon
R. Dickson and Poul Anderson. Well, for certain values of "wolf". Or
"bear" for that matter.

There's another Hoka story "The Adventure of the Misplaced Hound" as well.
--
David Allsopp Houston, this is Tranquillity Base.
Remove SPAM to email me The Eagle has landed.

Robert A. Woodward

Feb 1, 2003, 11:46:24 AM2/1/03
In article <7lnr2v0c5vvnslu4a...@4ax.com>,
Scott Robinson <dsc...@bellatlantic.net> wrote:

> On Fri, 31 Jan 2003 09:33:37 +0100, Vlatko Juric-Kokic
> <vlatko.ju...@zg.hinet.hr> wrote:

<snip re: Werewolf and wolf SF stories>

> Shouldn't _The Postman_, by David Brin be in here? I also vaguely
> recall an author's note saying that this was his second "wolf" novel
> and that this time he had a "wolf consultant" and tried to get the
> wolf right. I have no idea what the first book was.

That sounds like Gordon Dickson's note for _Wolf and Iron_ (which was a
rewrite of "In Iron Years," story was extended greatly as well).

Peter

Feb 1, 2003, 4:07:51 PM2/1/03

Peter Meilinger wrote:
> Can anyone point me towards stories with dogs as at least
> important minor characters? I want cool dogs, though, not

> your average, run of the mill dog. It seems like every other
> book out there has a cat in it, often a talking cat, but
> dogs are harder to come by.
>
> I don't care if the dogs talk or not, by the way. If I had
> to choose, I'd probably prefer more realistic portrayals.
> I'm not 100% sure what I'm looking for, actually, so I'm
> trying to keep my request pretty broad.
>
> Pete

Damon Knight - They walked like men -

Wesley Struebing

Feb 1, 2003, 5:00:11 PM2/1/03
On Sat, 01 Feb 2003 21:07:51 GMT, Peter <snark...@nospam.com>
wrote:

a lot of Cliff Simak. Can't remember a name right now...

It is loading more messages.