Silverberg-edited LEGENDS books

William December Starr

Sep 21, 2008, 4:07:59 PM9/21/08
I'm trying to make sense of the many objects which bear the names
"Robert Silverberg" and "Legends" on their covers.

I think that what's happened is that:

(1) Silverberg edited exactly two anthologies, named LEGENDS and
LEGENDS II, which were initially published as such.

(2) LEGENDS was subsequently reprinted in subdivided form as three
paperbacks, titled LEGENDS VOLUME N for N=1,2,3.

(3) LEGENDS II was subsequently reprinted in subdivided form as two
paperbacks, LEGENDS II: DRAGON, SWORD, AND KING and LEGENDS II:
SHADOWS, GODS, AND DEMONS, and

(4) Anything else listed on, say, amazon.com is an audio cassette
containing readings of some of the stories in one or the other of
LEGENDS and LEGENDS II and can be safely ignored by me because I'm
only worried about printed books here.

Does this seem right to people?

-- wds

Ahasuerus

Sep 21, 2008, 7:59:38 PM9/21/08
On Sep 21, 4:07 pm, wdst...@panix.com (William December Starr) wrote:
> I'm trying to make sense of the many objects which bear the names
> "Robert Silverberg" and "Legends" on their covers.
>
> I think that what's happened is that:
>
> (1) Silverberg edited exactly two anthologies, named LEGENDS and
> LEGENDS II, which were initially published as such.
>
> (2) LEGENDS was subsequently reprinted in subdivided form as three
> paperbacks, titled LEGENDS VOLUME N for N=1,2,3. [snip]

Right, but note that the UK version of Legends [1] (http://
www.locusmag.com/index/yr2000/t51.htm#A2733) is not the same as the US
version of Legends Volume 1 (http://www.locusmag.com/index/yr1999/
t34.htm#A1672)

William December Starr

Sep 21, 2008, 9:05:36 PM9/21/08
In article <1a4f0b6f-dc2d-4dba...@s9g2000prg.googlegroups.com>,
Ahasuerus <ahas...@email.com> said:

> Right, but note that the UK version of Legends [1]
> (http://www.locusmag.com/index/yr2000/t51.htm#A2733)
> is not the same as the US version of Legends Volume 1
> (http://www.locusmag.com/index/yr1999/t34.htm#A1672)

Okay. Those are both subsets of the six-to-seven-hundred page
original LEGENDS; they're just different subsets. Not a problem.

I'm trying to straighten out what MITSFS has (a bit difficult when
our only copy of one of the books is off in a box in a warehouse)
and equally importantly whether we're missing anything (we're not,
yay). Thanks for the comfirmation.

-- wds

Andrew Wheeler

Sep 21, 2008, 9:19:01 PM9/21/08

Yes, exactly so.

The original _Legends_ anthologies were hardcovers, and very fat.

They were also very expensive (for the publisher), and so got chopped up
into several paperbacks, to better make back the immense sums of money
lavished on them.

--
Andrew Wheeler